User Reviews for Zetia

Zetia has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 58 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of those users who reviewed Zetia reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous   7.0
High Cholesterol   4.3
Summary of Zetia reviews 4.6 58 reviews

Reviews for Zetia

poisoned · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “Can’t take statins so doc put me on zetia. This stuff is poison for me! Within 4 days the pain in my entire body left me unable to do anything, couldn’t sleep, diarrhea was horrible, migraines a few hours after taking it each night. I stopped taking it! Some reactions reversed in about 3 days but I’m now on day 9 since I stopped it and the upper left side down into my abdomen still hurt, yet I have a numbing sensation on lower abdominal, urgent care doc thinks I may be developing shingles! Zetia has been known to trigger it. Awful, awful medicine! Wish I’d never touched it”

molly · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I was put on zetia when I could not take statins because of severe muscle pain. Three weeks in I started having pain in my elbow and both shoulders I stopped the medication so I ended up taking it less than one month. Six month later after stopping the medication and still the pain did not go away”

bradford · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “This caused flatulence and diarrhea which don't make a good mix”

pj · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I'd been on Zetia either 60 or 90 days before it effected my liver enzymes and pancreas. I first noticed the dark urine and light feces around a month ago. Then fatigue, loss of appetite, itchy skin. I was diagnosed with jaundice, then fearful that I had cancer while ruling out Hepatitis and Auto Immune diseases. Finally, I'm told by the GI specialist that it must be the other supplements I'm talking which he claimed weren't FDA approved. However, I'll know soon and I suspect that I was in the currently .1% who had serious and severe side effects. As a result my cholesterol levels doubled instead of improved.”

Batty1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I have taken 10mcg Zetia for 8 weeks around the 6 week mark that I started to notice I had very light pink urine I actually did not think anymore about it since I had no other issues. On week 8 I went 3 days forgetting to take the Zetia and noticed my urine color was normal “again” still not connecting the dots anyway when I finally remembered to take Zetia on day 4 .... All become bad again my urine was pink again and now I had left side back pain that would’ve taken and elephant to his knee it was monstrous that left me unable to function for 2 days I stopped Zetia and my urine color is normal and my Back pain disappeared..... this was 2 weeks ago I stopped and I no more issues.”

bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 17, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I started taking Ezetimibe in Feb. 2019. I can not tolerate statins. After 10 months I started to develop joint pain, muscle weakness, runny nose and was very tired. I checked my blood pressure. It was 213 over 120. I decided that ezetimibe could be the problem. I stopped taking Ezetimibe. After 2-1/2 days by blood pressure dropped to 152 over 94. I feel 100% better. There is a question that my liver could have bee damaged.”

Polly December 8, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Started Zetia September, 2020. In October labs work was done and everything was normal (liver, kidney function). November 8, I started having scalp/head pain. I also noticed my hair had been thinning. November 10, I had SEVERE right sided abdominal pain, fever and chills, cough, shortness of breath. Went to Urgent care and series of tests, came back very high liver panel, inflammation markers very high. I stopped taking Zetia on 11/14/2020. The next 3 weeks I continued to have many side effects. They were: head/scalp pain, hair thinning, cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, sweating, severe abdominal pain, right and left side, bad rash on forearm and hand, severe ankle and top of foot pain, fatigue, body ache, night sweats. I had 4 negative covid tests, 2 negative antibody tests. Now, I have an atrial fib going on. (Just started 3 days ago). I was a very active 74 year old with perfect blood work for years. We ruled out COVID, and have narrowed it to Zetia really bad side effects”

tom c. · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Started on Zetia on top of Crestor. Still taking it but the vivid wild and bizarre dreams at night are awful. Wake up exhausted. I'll continue, but we'll see for how long.”

Big Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I was put on Lipitor for lipid reduction. Did the job, but lower legs and quads and hams started to cramp severely during spinning classes at local Y. Complained to my doctor, immediately put me on Crestor. Did the job and no cramps. Been on them for 8 years. Now cardiologist wants my LDL below 70 forever. So he puts me on generic Zetia. After 30 days, my Total Cholesterol dropped 20% to 143. Triglyceride from 97 to 78, LDL dropped from 100 to 62, Triglycerides from 97 to 78 and HDL from 56 to 65. Never had my LDL below 70 and they have proof if can keep the LDL under 70 for 4 or 5 years you can reduce artery and leg plague by 24 %. No stents or surgeries needed. Just take your meds.”

Freedancer · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I cannot take statins as they tank my depression. I am a disabled veteran and have had my depression under control for several years now. My general practitioner at the VA put me on Zeita for cholesterol. I took it for approximately 4 days. My depression got so bad that I stopped it today and notified my psychiatrist and my general practitioner that I was stopping it as of today. I spent the last two days crying because I felt so bad. I also was extremely tired and my joints and muscles were hurting. This is just how the statins affected me. If you suffer from depression, run away from this drug as fast as you can!! It works very quickly and can catch you completely off guard!”

Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “My experience was horrible two weeks in burping tons of gas turned into vomiting diarrhea stomach problems all the time now I cannot drink milk without having episodes of gas just not comfortable in my own body anymore unbelievable I was fine before I took this medication never had any problems with my stomach or my intestines been off it for 2 weeks still having problems with my intestines and my stomach not too happy about it horrible drug”

Von July 29, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I can't take statins they make me hurt so bad no pain medicine even works. My cholesterol is so high now and I'm on a strict diet and stay on it at my cholesterol still goes up and now my arteries in my neck are clogged so the doctor decided to try me on Zetia I've been on it for 10 days my stomach is extended so much I thought I gain water in my stomach it hurts so bad my legs cramp I couldn't take the treadmill test because I ran out of air will have to do a chemical test I've had the sweats and chills what is a person to do I don't know where to turn to anymore I guess I inherited my dad's bad genes because he died at 42 and right now I am 69 and had strokes and heart attack it's all crazy”

Lala · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I have familial high cholesterol not caused by diet. I eat very healthy and weigh 100 lbs. I had no choice but to take medication. I had extreme negative side effects to both statins I tried. One landing me in the ER. I was desperate to find something that I could take. My boyfriend researched and found this. My Dr wasn’t sure it would work but I was hopeful. It brought my cholesterol down well into normal range with no side effects at all. I’m very grateful for this medication since I can’t take statins and my cholesterol cannot be controlled by diet.”

Ollie · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I have been on Zetia 4 weeks. I am having pains under my ribs on left side and radiating to my back. Stomach pains just woke me up in the middle of the night. My feet have been cramping at night. I keep having severe bloating in my stomach. I also keep burping. Calling doctor in am to stop drug.”

Suzanne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “Started taking ezemtibe 7/17 to lower cholesterol my cholesterol which was high. I Developed sore joints and started belching, but didn’t relate this to medication. In August, I noticed large patch loss of pigment on skin below kneecaps. Then patches developed on hands and feet. Within ten months, pigment loss showed around my mouth. I then stopped the Zetia and the joint pain disappeared, I had no more belching and no more pigment loss. But I then had shingles. I have read that pigment loss and shingles result from a damaged immune system. As I am an otherwise healthy and active 65 year old, and the fact that all of these systems occurred shortly after beginning this medication, I believe the ezemtibe damaged my immune system.”

Susan February 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “If I could rate this less than zero, I would!! I cannot tolerate statins so my doctor started me on Zetia. I started having severe side effects after just a few weeks. I didn't realize it was this medication at first and ended up in the ER after five weeks of being on it. I had severe distention in my abdomen, severe cramping, burning in my gut, pain, bleeding. I also had what felt like a bladder infection because I had pinching of my bladder and bleeding in my urine (although a urine test did not indicate I had an infection). I had so much distention in my abdomen that I could barely eat or drink anything. I also had tightness in other areas of my body including my chest, groin, and of course, abdomen. I stopped this the day I went to the ER. I have been off this medication for several weeks now but continue to have issues. I have severe indigestion after I eat now and it seems to have flared up many other health related issues, as well as generally not feeling well.”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “I don’t know if Zetia is helping my high cholesterol since I have only been taking it three weeks and haven’t had the followup lab work yet but I am getting ready to discontinue it on my own. My main complaint is extreme fatigue to the point where I feel like I need to lay down after quick outings. My blood pressure has dropped and I have started taking a half dose of my blood pressure medication and a half pill of the Zetia. Still, I’m tired and find myself short of breath after moving around or even while talking sometimes. I just generally feel bad and weak but I can’t tolerate statins. I was hoping this would work but it doesn’t look like it.”

None · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “I have tried statins to bring my cholesterol down but the side affects were unbearable! Have been on zetia a week and the side affects are insane. My muscles and joints hurt so bad I want to scream. My skin even burns! Give me high cholesterol over these medications and their side affects any day. I only hope they will go away!”

one.day.at.a.time · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “Couldn't take statins due to multiple side effects. Took zetia for 6 weeks before realizing it was causing severe nausea on a daily basis, constipation, extreme tiredness, excruciating hip pain, hot flashes with profuse sweating as well as gastritis. I've been off zetia for two weeks and I'm still having the awful sweating flashes, constipation, hip pain and tired to the point I fall asleep for about 30 minutes when I get home from work every day. The nausea is finally gone and gastritis has improved. I hope all this goes away soon!! I'm miserable! I will not take meds for cholesterol again I'm going to go back to Krill oil and flaxseed oil.”

Brandy Lane · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “Just started treatment”

Will not let me post · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “Took Zetia at 10:30 at nite with my pravastatin 30mg. By 2:00 AM I woke with Horrible leg and Arm muscle pain. Never had issues on the low dose pravastatin but now 2 days later my legs still burn. I can not stand it and HOPE it goes away. Never again I had the same problems with lipitor only this is not going away yet. Not worth it.”

Pete_C June 11, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “I am 66 and have been taking Zetia 10 for nearly 5 years now. I had previously taken Zocor, Mevacor, and Crestor consecutively over a period of about 15 years, each giving me severe muscle pain in my feet and legs. At one point, the pain in my arches was so bad that one doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis and recommended surgery. That's when I stopped taking any statins and within a couple of months, the pain was completely gone. When I started taking Zetia, I saw no adverse side effects and my bad cholesterol went down a little. About a year ago, I started having pain and weakness in my legs when standing up or climbing stairs. Now, I'm have pain in my left calf and heel and occasionally in my left arm, shoulder and back.”

Redpop May 31, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “My efforts to take something other than Statin is Zeita! My liver enzymes spike with Statins along with fatigue, muscle weakness and cramping, major confusion and memory difficulty! Overall my cholesterol is in the 300's and I need to get it lowered so Zetia is one of many I've tried and couldn't tolerate! Side effects for me are fatigue, chills, and flushing then sweats! Muscle charlie horses, joint pain!”

Ezzetr March 25, 2017

“Was notified recently that the expensive drug Zetia now has a generic version called Ezetimibe however Zetia is a tier 3 drug and Ezetimibe is a tier 4 drug which means I will be paying even more than before since my plan will no longer carry Zetia after June 1,2017. Unbelievable!!”

MJRanks January 29, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “If you are starting to belch while on this medicine stop taking it, because it is starting to cause stomach inflammation which is gastritis. This medicine caused muscle atrophy, dry eye, runny nose, anxiety, foot and calf cramping, sweating, sinus and stomach inflammation. I have been dealing with the gastritis never had any stomach issues in my life until zetia. I believe the drug companies are not telling people about all the side effects because they know not everyone gets every side effect but believe me this a dangerous medicine I have went from 150lbs with a lot of muscle went to the gym lifted and ran 3 to 4 miles a week. Now about 118lbs and still suffering 8 almost 9 months later.”