User Reviews for Praluent

Praluent has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 125 ratings on Drugs.com. 46% of those users who reviewed Praluent reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous   7.0
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction   5.9
High Cholesterol   5.7
Summary of Praluent reviews 6.1 125 reviews

Reviews for Praluent

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I have been on Praulent for one month and love the results. My LDL is down to 36! I have no side effects except a runny nose. My problem is that it is very difficult to press the injector. I need my husband to press it with all his might. Does anyone have that problem?”

Happy Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I'm a 73 year old man and I've been doing the 75mg Praluent injections now for almost 4 years with no side effects. My LDL that I get tested every 6 months is is a very low 24 thanks to Praluent. When I had my heart attack 5 years ago my LDL was a very high 250. I'm happy that my CVS Silverscript Plus pays for most of the cost. I also take 20 mg Atorvastatin daily. The painless Praluent auto injector takes about 5 seconds to inject after warming it up and pushing the auto injector button. The only thing I don't like is the high cost and having to keep the Praluent refrigerated before use. For me there is no pain or bleeding at the injection site which is my leg.”

RavenWoods · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2021

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I've been on Praluent for a month now with few side effects. I have noticed that I seem to be having more erections than before, but I didn't have a problem. Other than more erections, the other side effect is more intestinal gas, or flatulence. Rather toxic smelling!”

TurningIn2myMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “My cholesterol was over 300 for over 20 years. Statins made my legs pull and ache so doctor decided to try Praluent. After 8 injections the cardiologist called and told me to stop taking it. My cholesterol was 630 now. Electrolytes nearly doubled. They say this is not a "normal" reaction, but it is mine. Now they have started me on Repatha. I've taken one injection and am getting blood tested before 2nd shot. Needless to say I am nervous.”

Skeeterreeter · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “This is the worst drug ever. The needle is huge and is like branding an animal. It is complicated. I had to go to the pharmacists, and even she had trouble. She witnessed the sound, the bleeding, and the instant redness and swelling and said she would be my witness. I have a scar. Why would the makers of Praluent make a device so awful when they could put it on a needle like Rapatha? This is just horrible.”

Sahara000 · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I just started Praluent 150 mg with the first injection last evening with zero side effects and very little pain with injection. Total cholesterol was in the normal range on Atorvastatin 40 mg. However, my Lp(a) cholesterol was highly elevated at 148nmol/ml (normal is <30). I'm hoping Praluent will drop my Lp(a) as regular cholesterol medications do not have any effect on Lp(a)”

Crono · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Switched from repatha to praulent due to insurance. I injected first of the month. Now after 2 Er Visits and a bunch of prednisone, it's finally starting to leave my body. To recap. The next day I felt like I got hit with the flu and had no energy and felt like crap, shorty after my whole face, fingers and feet blew up and I has covered in hives, from head to toe. I'm a day done with my steroids and the hives are already coming back. Not as bad, but enough to be bothersome, especially during bed time. If you have any sensitivity to statins, I highly suggest you stay away.”

No to Praluent December 17, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “HORRIBLE BREAKOUT I have heart disease and cholesterol of 151 - every statin has horrible side effects on me so cardiologist wanted me on Rapatha but insurance would only over Paluent. I've tried 4x now to go along with cholesterol meds and this did it in for me. I injected in my right thigh about 9pm, woke up at midnight with stomach pain so severe I thought about the hospital- it finally subsided. 2 hours later I awoke to a horrible itching on my right calf and turning the lights on looked like a horrible bite or infection. By the next morning my left leg broke out in a severe dark purple bubbled rash all over. Then my torso broke out with shingles. Multiple visits to my GP and dermatologist and all concur this was absolutely the Praluent. Looking online, rashes and shingles can be side effects. My dermatologist said it made me break out in eczema, psoriasis and shingles at the same time. Im on high doses of Prendisone and topical heavy duty steroids and an anti-viral.”

Gary W. · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I'm a 71 yo caucasian male with a diagnosis of PAD, atherosclerosis and hyperlipidemia. I can't tolerate statins due to severe muscle cramping and prescribed Praluent soon after it was approved by the FDA. Aside from minor leg cramping which is controlled by ingesting a banana a day and a runny nose for 24-48 hours after injection, my total cholesterol has dropped from 300+ to less than 100 ! I'm VERY pleased with its' results !”

Return Review · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I thought I would follow up on my initial review that I left several weeks ago to give some that are having a bad reaction like myself some hope. I literally couldn't stand for more than a few minutes I was so weak. I had no core strength, no strength in my legs and then my arms. I lost my dexterity in my hands. Had a bad cough, my heart was beating wildly...etc. All these side effects started to dissipate approximately 2 months after my last dose. I am almost back to full strength. As my cough started to go away, all my strength started coming back and my heart beats calmed down. This stuff Praluent is insane. I will never take another one of these injectables again. The good news is that I'm about 90% better. Everyone leaves these comments stating that they are really in trouble on this, but never follow up. For two months I thought I was toast....I'm writing to let others know I'm almost back to normal - 2 months of a living nightmare. It still gets a one rating.”

Nanny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 25, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I shared my experience with Praluent but forgot to add THE COUGH. It is so aggravating, everyday, since starting the praluent injections, I've had the cough that is a side effect. I would not have guessed that it would be so aggravating. I know I don't sound like a happy camper, I'm waiting with hope for things to get much better. Good luck to all thats on this injection, researchers have done a great job, just need to improve it somewhat..”

Jw · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Horrible. It has been 6 days since I could function. Severe neck & sinus pain. Arms so tired I can barely lift them. No fever. Bronchial pain & short of breath. Dr said wait it out. Wait 3 weeks before next dose. There will NOT be another dose.”

Omega · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “2 years following a massive heart attack and have been injecting praluent since. Twice a month at 75mg. LDL has dropped from 130 to 19! I have had no side effects. A little bleeding from injection site. Elequis, Plavix and Aspirin cause that. I tried to take statins since 2005 with first heart heart diagnosis, no joy on the numbers, just muscle pain. I was a vegan for 7 years and nothing helped until Praluent.”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I have Myasthenia Gravis and Praluent initially flared my condition within 3 days of taking this, this has subsided several weeks later. With respect to side effects, I have neck, shoulder, back and leg pain, cramping, nausea, severely fatigued and I mean severely, weakness in legs and finally can't leave out the cough. I had a similar reaction to Repatha. I thought I would give Praluent a go. Half life is super long 17 - 20 days....so, this will be fun. There's no way I will continue this. It's amazing how FDA could pass this stuff. I would like to sift through the clinical trial data....the real data.”

Mike K · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “After having a heart attack 2 years ago my cardio doctor put me on Praluent painless injections every two weeks in my legs along with daily 20 mg Atorvastatin (Lipitor). Together they both have lowered my bad LDL from 250 down to 25. I'm a 73 year old man. I'm very happy with the results. I don't notice any side effects. I'm also happy my Mutual of Omaha drug plan Plus which covers most of the cost 2020/2021. I'm waiting for the FDA to approve Inclisiran twice a year injections which will be much more cheaper.”

Mike · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Had a heart attack 5 years ago at 38 years old due to hypercholestrolemia. Statins wrecked my body up until this came out. I’m allergic to almost everything so I was happy to hear that this medicine didn’t have bad side effects for most people. This medicine has literally saved my life. Ive had normal levels for a while now. The only noticeable thing I get is occasional urinary sensitivity. Surprised to see all the negative comments. This medicine costs me nothing.”

Hazel · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Took Repatha for over a year had minor side effects (runny nose only) which eventually disappeared then my insurance changed formularies and had to switch to Praluent not at all happy. Have been taking for two months side effects include constant runny nose fatigue bruising muscle pain and pain and itching at injection site. Would not recommend this medication Repatha in my opinion is much better unfortunately for myself insurance will absolutely not cover Repatha.”

Coach K · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 1, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I was prescribed Repatha however, my Insurance forced me to take Praluent. I started on Praluent just after Christmas 2019 and continued every 2 weekly shots through August 2020. My body will not tolerate Statin drugs, so this was my only option to try and control my Cholesterol. In December of 2019, my Total cholesterol was 286 after 8 months of using Praluent my cholesterol only went down by 2 point to 284. My Triglycerides went up by 50 points, 108 in December to 158 in august. HDL (good cholesterol) went down by 3 points, 50 in December to 47 in August. Finally, my LDL went down by 9 points, 214 in December to 205 in August. In summation, Praluent did not work for me. Hopefully, I have better results on Repatha. From a side effect point of view, I would take the injection on a Thursday and by Saturday afternoon I would be bothered with a headache. Usually by Sunday night the headache would resolve, I would be fine until my next dose.”

Unhappy in Huntley · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “So I have been on Praluent for a month. I was previously on Repatha doing great, however my insurance doesn't want to pay for that and made me switch. 2nd dose now have UTI, muscle pain and daily headaches. I go to my doctor in 2 weeks and see if I can go back to Repatha. I thought from the reviews they are the same however theses side effects are telling otherwise. Btw both give me stuffy nose but I can live with that one. The other side effects were what I had being on statins and this is the low dose of Praluent.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “79 year old male 10 days ago had one injection Praluent 150mg, within 24 hours right shoulder, back pain. Constant severe pain first week could only sleep on my back, Up many times during night pain so severe. Four days after went to primary doctor, got anti-inflammatory medicine, steroid injection which did nothing. Seven days after injection severe pain in right shoulder, went to ER received cortisone injection, got minor relief few hours. Now 13 days after injection pain in right shoulder still bad, with minor moments of reduced pain. Hopefully with time ?? I also cannot forget runny nose,cramps in legs, very weak as well.”

Gav · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I read a lot of negative comments on line about Praluent and quite frankly the potential side effects were pretty scarey to read. I've just taken my 2nd injection and can honestly say its been fine. The injection itself doesn't hurt at all and I haven't had any significant side effects, positive or negative. After each injection I have felt a bit lethargic but nothing to worry about. I'm sure those people who experience negative responses to this drug are experiencing real issues but for me its been fine.”

fred · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 27, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Total cholesterol on Prauleant 3 years- 94- Bad: 35 Amazing drug. Could not tolerate statins even at low dosage.”

EnvyC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I had a great experience with praluent. I was able to get the following results BEFORE Total 334 LDL 227 Tri 120 AFTER Total 184 LDL 75 tri 55 No side effects at all”

Uniquetta June 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “This is an update to my April 29th comments. My numbers are great vs. last December, 2019: cholesterol overall: 153 vs. 250 HDL: 65 vs. 56 LDL: 67 vs. 162 Triglycerides: 107 vs. 160 Side effects: Frequent muscle spasms; shorter in duration than muscle cramps, occurred during daily activity. Bend to tie my sneaker; spasm in my butt. Stretch to clasp on my bra; spasm in my midriff. These have subsided somewhat. I still have the same kinds of excruciating thigh/muscle cramps at night that I got on statins. The big difference is they aren't as bad or long lasting. I still get cramps in my feet and the calves of my legs but, again, not as bad. My feet get sore and tired when I take my walks, which never happened 3-4 months ago. Overall I would say if these side effects don't get any worse I will likely continue on the drug. The outstanding results for my cholesterol are worth it, since I have cardiovascular risks, as well.”

mick74454 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 12, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I started on praluent 3 years ago not long after it was first introduced in the uk , after over ten year of on off , mostly off statins , due to there almost crippling side affects this drug has been a god send my cholesterol is below recommended levels for the first time ever for two years in a row, after having stents and one heart attack i now feel for the first time in years I'm no longer waiting for another imminent episode!. side effects, a few muscle aches but nothing like the statins and only last a short while.easy to take once every two weeks”