User Reviews for Praluent

Praluent has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 171 ratings on Drugs.com. 46% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 34% reported a negative experience.

High Cholesterol
5.7
Summary of Praluent reviews 6.0 171 reviews

Reviews for Praluent

Return Review · Taken for less than 1 month · December 4, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I thought I would follow up on my initial review that I left several weeks ago to give some that are having a bad reaction like myself some hope. I literally couldn't stand for more than a few minutes I was so weak. I had no core strength, no strength in my legs and then my arms. I lost my dexterity in my hands. Had a bad cough, my heart was beating wildly...etc. All these side effects started to dissipate approximately 2 months after my last dose. I am almost back to full strength. As my cough started to go away, all my strength started coming back and my heart beats calmed down. This stuff Praluent is insane. I will never take another one of these injectables again. The good news is that I'm about 90% better. Everyone leaves these comments stating that they are really in trouble on this, but never follow up. For two months I thought I was toast....I'm writing to let others know I'm almost back to normal - 2 months of a living nightmare. It still gets a one rating.”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month · October 19, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I have Myasthenia Gravis and Praluent initially flared my condition within 3 days of taking this, this has subsided several weeks later. With respect to side effects, I have neck, shoulder, back and leg pain, cramping, nausea, severely fatigued and I mean severely, weakness in legs and finally can't leave out the cough. I had a similar reaction to Repatha. I thought I would give Praluent a go. Half life is super long 17 - 20 days....so, this will be fun. There's no way I will continue this. It's amazing how FDA could pass this stuff. I would like to sift through the clinical trial data....the real data.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month · July 11, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I started Pralulent 75 mg in June 2019 due to my high cholesterol 270 and LDL 191. I’m female, in my early 60s and normal weight. It was recommended since I am allergic to statins and had muscle and joint pain from statins. I was so hoping the Pralulent would work for me. I didn’t have any issue with the injection but a day after both times I took the shot my muscle and joint pain was awful. I could not sleep due to the pain and even my stomach and ribs ached. My CAD showed 143 with calcification in my descending artery. I’m nervous about having a heart attack or stroke but don’t think I can continue these shots if I am so debilitated afterwards. My doctor wants me to try Repatha but after reading the side effects and reviews it sounds even worse. I may just have to try watching me diet. I really don’t know what to do. My cardiologist is surprised that I reacted to this drug.”

Beanie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 6, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “Had GREAT results from using the Pralulent for 6 weeks but the flu-like symptoms got worse after every injection (did the every other week). My numbers were fantastic but I decided it wasn't worth it. My doctor convinced me to try it but only once a month. Had my first shot four days ago and so far only a stuffy nose. Maybe for those having issues changing to only once per month would be a good compromise.”

Pickle · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 18, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “Took this for a month and a half and my pcp told me to stop. I made trips to my gynecologist thinking my problems were related to my estrogen then to med Express for sinus issues and the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. ER could not find anything. I had aches and pains. Could hardly walk due to stiffness in ankles and leg pain. Heart palpitations and chest cramps. Trouble swallowing and the feeling of having stuck in my throat. Sweats and vision blurring. I had been off my blood pressure meds for 2yrs and had to start taking them again. I've been off of it for about a month and still have chest cramps and something stuck in throat. I may not like statin drugs but with CoQ10 I can manage them. Never taking this med again. I would rather die.”

63 yr old · April 3, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Have strong family history of heart disease. Have had several stents placed. Have high BP and cholesterol. Statins made me have severe muscle issues most noticeable in my feet. Cardiologist had me try Repatha and I had severe muscle pains, cough, leg swelling. Changed to Praluent with two injections done and same thing. Now have severe pain in hands and unable to do fine dexterity movements with one hand. I will not take this injection again to see if symptoms subside. If this medication is causing the symptoms, beware before you take the drug. My next plan of ways to lower cholesterol will be more of natural treatments. Has anyone had success with this?”

Gav · Taken for less than 1 month · August 4, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I read a lot of negative comments on line about Praluent and quite frankly the potential side effects were pretty scarey to read. I've just taken my 2nd injection and can honestly say its been fine. The injection itself doesn't hurt at all and I haven't had any significant side effects, positive or negative. After each injection I have felt a bit lethargic but nothing to worry about. I'm sure those people who experience negative responses to this drug are experiencing real issues but for me its been fine.”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 12, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I have been taking it for about 5 months. It lowered my cholesterol but the pain I have in my hips and bones are not worth it can hardly walk the pain is unbearable. They say it takes 3 months to get out of your body. Can't take anything without side effects.”

CholAlex · Taken for less than 1 month · September 15, 2018

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Praluent ruined my life! I was diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia and was prescribed Praluent by the cardiologist. If I knew then what I know now I would have never have taken this poison. From the moment I took my first & last Praluent injection my heart started beating rapidly, my chest tightened up, short of breath, severe stomach pain, anxiety and vomiting! I was admitted to the hospital and doctors had no idea what Praluent is and I had to explain while I was in critical condition. Their advise was don't take anymore injection and wait until the Praluent gets out of my system which can take up to 3 months! Three months have passed and I am now in constant pain! I'm on strong pain killers, steroids and anti nausea medication. I also developed hypertension and I can't seem to bring it down even with meds! I don't think I will ever recover from this. If anyone had similar experience and had treatment for the horrible life changing side effects please share it with us.”

mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 21, 2019

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I am a 70 y/o male never been over weight, 145 5'7" have been a runner and gym rat my whole life. Tried all the statins but could not tolerate the pain. I eat a very strict diet and no junk food. History of high cholesterol in the family. I had 4 shots of praluent, or two months worth. I had my blood tested before I started the shots, then again 2 months later. Results were amazing. Total cholesterols went from 270 to 154. LDL went from 180 to 66.So far no side effects.”

Mike · June 12, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I've had my 2nd injection @ 150mg dose last week. Don't know my numbers yet but the side effects are identical to when I started Crestor drug. My whole body hurts, hard to walk very far without severe muscle pain. Can't sleep because of muscle pain. I feel like death warmed over. Last dose for me.”

barry · August 15, 2019

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I have been taking this drug for two years, and the side effects are bad, lower back pain, legs weak, I am 69 and it has taken my LDL from 250 down to 55 but the side effects are just not worth it. I tell my cardio dr, but he just says if you stop it then go home and wait for your heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do, can't live with all the pain of this drug, but not sure if I can live without it either?”

MissyJ · Taken for less than 1 month · September 5, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I am 63 yr old female with type 2 diabetes. I can't tolerate statins..tried Repatha and after 3rd shot got severe back pain. I had heard about Praluent so tried that and after 1 injection I had severe nausea and vomiting, headache, sore throat and back pain on right side only. Going back to doc tomorrow because of feeling so bad. Safe to say there won't be a 2nd injection. Hope this leaves my system quickly”

Rando · Taken for less than 1 month · March 25, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Horrible drug. If you think you have any kind of immune system issues, do not take this drug Praluent. I have been dealing with Lyme disease issues for years but have had it under control. One dosage of this drug triggered some kind of auto immune response and my Lyme symptoms came back. It’s been six months and I still feel like rubbish every day. Manufactured denied anything is wrong with drug.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month · August 15, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “79 year old male 10 days ago had one injection Praluent 150mg, within 24 hours right shoulder, back pain. Constant severe pain first week could only sleep on my back, Up many times during night pain so severe. Four days after went to primary doctor, got anti-inflammatory medicine, steroid injection which did nothing. Seven days after injection severe pain in right shoulder, went to ER received cortisone injection, got minor relief few hours. Now 13 days after injection pain in right shoulder still bad, with minor moments of reduced pain. Hopefully with time ?? I also cannot forget runny nose,cramps in legs, very weak as well.”

kenjam · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 24, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I was on Repatha for years with no problems. Insurance provider stopped coverage, but offered coverage for Praluent. Out of pocket cost to me for three month supply of .75mg every two weeks is $720.00. Taken it twice. Sore in mouth, lower back pain, and weak legs to go with overall feeling of tiredness/weakness. Biggest concern is that my blood pressure and pulse have gone off the scale, which is something I did not previously experience and seem incapable of bringing it down regardless what I do. Always had excellent numbers without medication. Had Afib three times in a two-day period. To put it mildly, I have severe reservations the plus side of this medication is worth the side effects. Life without quality seems to be lacking in the basic tenant.”

arcey · October 8, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “I am a heart patient. I’ve had one heart attack and another one milder one a year ago. I have taken two injections with not too many noticeable side effects. Maybe some isolated aches and pains and maybe a little tightness in my chest. After the 1st week of the second injection. I checked my BP 169/95, checked again the 2nd day. 159/99. Way too high for a heart patient! Then it goes down too low. 95/69 etc. I have done reported this to the FDA. I don’t need this. I called my doc and was told by a nurse to increase my BP meds but I told them NO!. Not till I talk to my regular heart doc and primary care doc in person. I’m done with this med for now. If I am going to die I would rather die from not taking this med. If I die from taking this med, what’s the point? I don’t think a long range study on side effects from this med has been done. It hasn’t been out long enough.”

EDB · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 10, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “I started taking this drug in Dec 2015 w/amazing results! Within a few months however I noticed I was feeling ill and had sore muscles particularly in my upper legs, and bc I am a devoted walker, 3-5 miles per day, I began to wonder if it could be the Praluent. My Dr informed me that he had not heard if problems do I continued to take it. In May this year a problem arose with ins/availability of this drug for me. Bc I was forced to stay off it for a month, all of a sudden I began to feel better! I mean all tiredness, fatigue, muscle pain were just simply gone! When offered the meds again I have refused. I was really really sick from this medicine. This is my own experience. Since then I have read a lot of blogs where others have exp same”

NJG · November 14, 2019

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “Took one dose of Praluent @ 3:00pm and had a massive flush of symptoms throughout my whole body 15 minutes later. At the ER at 4:00 given steroids shot, benadryl shot and finally epinephrine to stop the reaction 4 hours later. This is toxic and poison! It should be taken off the market.”

Uniquetta · June 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “This is an update to my April 29th comments. My numbers are great vs. last December, 2019: cholesterol overall: 153 vs. 250 HDL: 65 vs. 56 LDL: 67 vs. 162 Triglycerides: 107 vs. 160 Side effects: Frequent muscle spasms; shorter in duration than muscle cramps, occurred during daily activity. Bend to tie my sneaker; spasm in my butt. Stretch to clasp on my bra; spasm in my midriff. These have subsided somewhat. I still have the same kinds of excruciating thigh/muscle cramps at night that I got on statins. The big difference is they aren't as bad or long lasting. I still get cramps in my feet and the calves of my legs but, again, not as bad. My feet get sore and tired when I take my walks, which never happened 3-4 months ago. Overall I would say if these side effects don't get any worse I will likely continue on the drug. The outstanding results for my cholesterol are worth it, since I have cardiovascular risks, as well.”

Bazzle · October 12, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “I'm a 64 yr old male. I have had 2 MI (heart attacks)... first at age 46, the second at age 61 which resulted in me having a CABGX3 (Coronary artery bypass graft surgery - three grafts. I have been taking 75mg Praluent for about 5 months at twice monthly injections. Over the last few injections I have noticed a slight increase in muscle pain in legs and lower back. I also feel pain and discomfort in abdominal area. Anyone notice abdominal discomfort as well?”

Mike · Taken for 5 to 10 years · September 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Had a heart attack 5 years ago at 38 years old due to hypercholestrolemia. Statins wrecked my body up until this came out. I’m allergic to almost everything so I was happy to hear that this medicine didn’t have bad side effects for most people. This medicine has literally saved my life. Ive had normal levels for a while now. The only noticeable thing I get is occasional urinary sensitivity. Surprised to see all the negative comments. This medicine costs me nothing.”

firefly · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 3, 2019

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Anyone taking Praluent with side effects of Leg Pain followed by Varicose Veins spreading throughout your legs (at the site of injecton)? Also pigmented white spots appearing? Also lung issues? Lastly, extreme joint pain?”

NUM-NUM · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 11, 2020

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I started Praulent about a year ago... loved the results LDL from 135 to 69 just awesome. I first noticed a tightness in my chest and diaphragm, as I continued to take it I notice increased difficulty in breathing deeply and freely. There was the loss of stamina and increased fatigue. I used up my supply of Praulent 5 weeks ago... restricted breaths stopped about 2 weeks ago. SCARED about going back on Praulent with corona virus approaching. I'm 69 years old that battle will be hard enough... Restart Praulent... YES or NO? I JUST DON'T KNOW!”

Melly · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 27, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “I'm a 53 yes old female, I've had two heart attacks back in 2015. Also diabetic and other chronic illness. My doctor prescribed this medication about four months ago, at first I didn't take it something made me weary. I don't tolerate statins. Just this week took my third dose. The side effects are horrible the pain is unbearable. My memory is a mess. I can't literally hold a cup in my hands. Lower back pain, legs are weak if I move an arm it feels like it's being broken , my shoulders hurt my neck hurts, literally I'm not able to function at all. I will not take this medication ever again calling my doctor tomorrow and letting him know, that I'm practically in pain 24/7. I refuse to be this ill.”