User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Diabetes, Type 2 319 reviews 135 medications

8.2
Weight Loss 8 reviews 43 medications

8.1
Summary of Victoza reviews 327 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Victoza

For Weight Loss "I am Type 1 diabetes with food issues. My weight has increased yearly to 50 lbs overweight and recently my insulin requirements were increasing rapidly and still no control over blood sugar. I have been on Victoza for just over a week and have had fantastic results pretty much immediately. I am slowly increasing dose to avoid side effects and it is working. My appetite is gone and food doesn't have any control over me. I lost 5 lbs in a week and blood sugar is great! I've also noticed another benefit - I used to drink alcohol most days and I have no desire to drink. I feel great and would say the only side effect I am having is a slight difficulty in urinating - it takes longer to empty my bladder. I love this medicine!"

Wiesie (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started with .6 about 6 months ago. Nausea, dizziness, heartburn and loss of appetite. Not pleasant . Blood sugars did not seem to improve - questioned if stress due to symptoms was counteracting each other. (Stress raises glucose). Decided to give the drug it's best shot so after two week increased the dosing to maximum. (1.8). Slowly symptoms subsided and post meal glucose came down. Down substantially. Fasting still remains around 130 to 140 but that also is improved. Post meal about 140 if I eat a proper diet. While I would have preferred a greater reduction in numbers the drug is beneficial. Side effects are now all gone. I'm 64."

Bobsenior (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been on Victoza for many months now, I reached the highest dose, tried that for a few weeks and developed severe Gastroenteritis, abdominal pain, flatulence and severe belching so had to go on the lowest dose again. Now I have been taking 1.2 for two weeks and the symptoms have started again, last eve, night and today have been miserable and painful. I am ready to stop taking Victoza completely, the discomfort is just not worth it for some weight loss and a bit better blood sugar control. I will just have to have an increase in the amount of Lantus and Novalog that I have been taking. Discouraged with this med."

toofarnorth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I'm one week in with victoza and my appetite has decreased significantly, having gastroenteritis symptoms on an evening and really bad flatulence! Am eating small meals of bland food to compensate, started on 0.6 dose and will increase in a couple of days to 1.2. Good news am losing weight! No sugar cravings! Will keep you all posted on how it progresses"

Seahorse67 July 12, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "So far so good,,,been on it for 11 days have lost 3,5 kilos but i have basically removed all sugars and starch from my diet, The great part is i do not crave carbs where as i use to live for them!! I dont eat meat so basically its veggies and fish,, My bs has dropped nicely as well."

gina 07 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Been on this for 3 weeka and sugars great now. Has side effects of tiredness, increased pulse and severe heartburn but all gone now. Lost 5kg first week but nothing since then. Absolutely gutted"

tricat 16 July 2, 2016

For Weight Loss "I've struggled with my weight for years, I am a total binge eater at night. My doctor first brought up Victoza and I was really hesitant to take it (the whole injection thing scared me), but honestly it's not bad at all! You just have to pinch your skin wherever you're administering the medication and you won't feel anything. The needle used is I think a 38g which is SUPER small. No bruising or anything around the site of injection. This is my second week on it, and I've already lost 5lbs. I haven't experienced any side effects, I did get a little nauseous the first two days but it wasn't anything that was so horrible I couldn't continue. I don't have any problems binge eating, it's great! I hope to see more results in the next few weeks!"

Thalia289 June 28, 2016

For Weight Loss "My experiences seems similar to Ptmazeik's review. Days 1 and 2 were fine but Day 3 - oh boy. I took my shot at 5pm and I have to admit, I was excited. I was prescribed Victoza for weight loss. I imagined my extra weight just falling off. But the side effects were not worth it. On my 3rd night I was awoken by a butterfly 'wobble' spreading up my chest, arms and head. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was an intense nauseating feeling. It lasted for 13 hours. I couldn't sleep, I was frightened and I didn't know what to do. I eventually found milk would ease my symptoms and that excessive acid was a part of what was happening. 27 hrs had passed from my shot and I felt fine. Utter relief. Wont take it again. I did lose 3lbs ;)"

thfcme (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Weight Loss "Middle age stinks. In the last 5 years my weight and blood pressure became also uncontrollable. My last doctor visit I weighed in at my heaviest. 201# and being 5'7" was categorised has obese. Plus my blood pressure was sky high. Dangerously high. My doctor told me about Saxenda. Well my insurance company would not cover it. So the doctor's office called in an RX for Victoza. I started the injections May 3rd. I followed the dosing schedule and increased the dose every 7 days. I continue to take the 1.8mg dose. I have lost 31 pounds since May. My blood pressue is now normal even abit low. I feel like I have my life back."

SpookyRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I lost 8 lbs in 7 days but by the time I upped the pen to the middle dose I had no appetite and even when I tried to eat I gagged. I had to drink Boost to get something in me and was very weak, shakey and my heart was racing. I waited about a month and tried again planning to stick just to the lowest dose. By day 7 I had lost another 5 lbs and again was weak, and could hardly eat. Started having stomach cramping as well. I will not take this no matter how bad I want to loose weight or control my type 2 diabetes."

Made me weak. (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Hi am on Victoza now for 2 months. Was on it before for a month. Had some side effects in the beginning but now its fine. My blood sugar levels are under control as well as my high blood pressure. Do experience some constipation. Very good drug. Pray my medical aid will consider it for chronic meds."

Charmsvn May 13, 2016

For Weight Loss "Dr.prescribed Victoza 3 mo. ago for weight loss, which was affecting my health. High BP, arthritis in knee, low thyroid, weight was 183 lbs. Loved it, no side effects, loss 40 lbs. But , just recently all at once, got headaches, lightheaded, unbearable pains in stomach, anxiety, fast heart beating, I thought I was going to die. I stayed up until 4:00 am, I felt out of control from all the anxiety. Thank God I had some Xanax! I love the weght loss results, however I don't ever want to experience that terrifying experience of feeling like I was going to die. Ithe was that frightening, I stopped the next day!"

Ms. Ann (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Wow, I have been on Victoza 2weeks, also take 1000mg metform daily. My blood sugars now range 70-115. Losing about 1# per 2days. Little nausea first week, but gets better. Amazed, and Publix grocery store covers this med 100% so it's free with a Rx"

Shawnmz May 5, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Have been on Victoza for 1 1/2 months. Have lost about 10 lbs which is good for me. BS is great now I am at 1.2mg. My only real complaint is that I get very sleepy about 2 hours after the injection. Have mild constipation and occasional nausea after 2 weeks. Initially had bad nausea. I am real pleased with how it is working for me so far."

JanRN2 May 4, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I began taking this drug at the 1.2 mg level. Within a half day I began having serious side effects. I thought I had a very bad virus. I had headache chills nausea vomiting diarrhea insomnia. I missed 3 days of work. I stopped taking the drug. A month later I tried it again at the .6 mg level. First half day ok w just no appetite but then all happened again- vomiting and this time cold symptoms. I began having horrible diarrhea last night and called off work today. This is 48 hours after I stopped taking it. I threw rest away this drug feels like poison to my body"

Ptmazeik May 4, 2016

For Weight Loss "I've been taking victoza for about 6 months I started at 180 pound and I am now 130 at first I was very nauseous, but that subsided I do still get stomach aches though."

Kivi2016 May 2, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started victoza in decemberror 2015, now in April 2016, I'm down 45 lbs. It has help control my appetite. I have some constipation. But no other symptoms. I was on Lantus but have been able to stop using it and blood sugars have remained in low 100's. I am currently on 1.2ml."

Wetse (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on it for 3 months. I started with the smallest dose and went up to the highest. At the lower dose I started seeing my fasting numbers go down significantly. At the middle dose, they leveled. At the higher dose, I was sick to my stomach with anything I ate. I was a zombie for a few hours. The first two months, my A1c went down significantly. The interesting thing about the med is that I never got the diarrhea, instead, it has given me constipation. I haven't lost any weight. I'm on the middle dose now. Another interesting thing about the med is that at the middle and higher dose, I am hungry all the time. I feel like I'm eating more than before. My fasting numbers are back up. I don't think it's working for me."

martuco April 12, 2016

For Weight Loss "I've been on it for a month and I'm up to 3ml. I had a lot of trouble during the month with eating, and I was very nauseous in the beginning. I was eating about 1-2 times a day but that started to wear off the 2nd week at 3ml and I'm back to 3 meals a day. I've lost 12lbs this month and I have to admit I was not as diligent with my nutrition and exercise as usual. If this works as well with partial doses and a diet not nearly as clean as usual, this gives me hope. Looks like I can finally reach my weight loss goals!"

CdnWarrior April 12, 2016

For Weight Loss "I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) years ago. Last year, I was referred to a doctor that specializes in this disease; at the time I first met him, I weighed a whopping 387 pounds (I%u2019m 5%u201910%u2019%u2019). Of course, the first thing he told me was that my PCOS would get better if I lost weight. I was totally discouraged! I told him that I was very active and had been on EVERY diet%u2026 nothing seemed to work. I was so frustrated and asked if there was anything he could do to jump start my weight loss from a medical stand point. This is when he told me about Victoza and about the study that demonstrated that individuals suffering from PCOS, not from Type 2 diabetes, had lost weight on this medication... I now weigh 275 pounds :)"

MarieQC April 7, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I had all the symptoms on the first two doses. nausea,vomiting, diarrhea. I also take metformin. I took metformin with almond milk and a probiotic along with the victoza injection. No more chronic diarrhea . I eat small meals to keep from getting nauseated."

Simba 57 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Was on victoza 4 years ago and lost about 48 pounds, had an A1C of 6.8-7.1. Switched insurances to one that didn't cover victoza. Had to go on insulin instead, 70/30 55 units before breakfast and dinner. So I gained back 40 pounds in about 10 months, A1C has been as high as 11.2 and as low as 8.0. Have had to deal with hypoglycemia several times. Just got new insurance this month, began Victoza last Thursday, and took my insulin that day, too. Glucose dropped from high 200s average to having a 104 and a 118 that day!! I haven't seen numbers like that in a couple of years! Friday, I skipped my insulin dose. glucoses are staying in the 100s, appetite is much less, and I am INSULIN FREE, which will help in so many ways!"

RN w Type 2 (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "At first the side effects were horrible, nausea, diarrhea etc. It seemed to subside after a while. However, My doc decided to up my dose to 1.8 and during that night I had the worst stomach pain (woke me up out of a dead sleep). I decided to take the same dose the second day, and again the same stomach pain. I went back down to 1.2 the day after that I could not handle the pain I was having. I will say I have lost 49lbs sense I started a few months back, but I have to wonder why my thyroid is starting to ache all the time?"

shelbygirl68 March 24, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Rapid heart rate, persistent nausea, respitory issues, loss of voice. dry skin/throat, abominal pain, back pain, constipation & bloating or frequent gas... it has really messed me up!"

It was scary March 24, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2 "So far not impressed. Had tummy upset for two weeks but that did ease off. I do feel full and bloated which is good but my blood sugars are higher than when I was on othe meds by mouth. I'm on Novo mix 30 insulin 60 morning dose and 60 evening dose. My readings over the last week have been from 12.8 to 24.6. Surely this isn't right. And no weight loss. Feel really disappointed. I do take Mirtazipine for depression and my G.P. has just increased my dose. Apparently this can cause increased weight and appetite. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment."

Sweeney tod (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016