User Reviews for Victoza

Diabetes, Type 2
7.8

Summary of Victoza reviews 7.9 588 reviews

Reviews for Victoza

For Weight Loss "Ok I have tried everything to lose weight!!! Victoza so far in one month has helped me lose 14 lbs!!! I’m even eating what I want but 75% less of it.... As far as the side affects go if you are nauseous start with less clicks and increase one click at a time. Also taking at bedtime helps with the fatigue."

Cyndi rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "The side effects of full dose are really awful. Food stays in my stomach for over 24 hours, causing such discomfort! After that, the nausea & vomiting. Totally not worth taking if I feel like I have the GI flu. I haven't vomited in years - until starting Victoza. I don't think I'll continue."

Ldlwill2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I just started using Victoza 1.2 dose pen on Wed 02/06/19......have had no nausea, no jittery feeling and no appetite. Have lost 3 lbs already!!! Sugar numbers are running great! Major problem my out of pocket is too high.....don't think I can continue taking it."

Happy (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I'm starting Victoza tonight 1/31/19. I'm supposed to take it for 1 week at .06, then 1 week at 1.2, then up it to 1.8. I also take glipizide 10 mg and metformin 500 mg. My A1C is 12.2 I weight 254 lbs and I'm 5'8. I'm really hoping for success. I would love to be able to stop glipizide."

Skippy (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2019

For Weight Loss "Started Victoza for weight loss July, 2017. Weight 240 at 5'8". Female, age 50. No diabetes but borderline A1C of 5.7 Obese and very physically active (long-distance bicycle tours and commutes) since just after college. Initial side-effects of nausea, fatigue, burping subsided after 2 weeks. After 6 months I had lost 40+ pounds so was under 200lbs for the first time since college. Often had to remind myself to eat. I found that simple carbs in the morning sabotaged the meds. Doctor put me on metformin for additional appetite control. After trying different doses and types what works for me is 1.8 Victoza in the morning and 500mg metformin ER with each meal. Lost another 10 lbs. For the past year my weight has fluctuated from 187-194. It's amazing to not be hungry and not be obese. I'm still 20lbs overweight but A1C down consistently to 5.4 and lipids much better (I also take a statin)."

Numoi January 28, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started taking Victoza .06 for a week then supposed to go up to 1.2. No problems other than slight nausea first three nights. Lost 9 pounds in 4 days. Originally at Dr I weighed 154lb then five days later was 145lb I don’t think I can keep dropping weight like this. I take it at 8 pm every night. In morning here were my wake up blood readings first day 107-118 - 63- 49. These last two numbers scare the hell out of me , need to call doctor Monday cause on Tuesday the 29th I’m supposed to go to 1.2. Oh and do have a little heartburn and feel tired"

Connie (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I took my first dose on 1/15/2019 and loss 5 pounds in 6 days. I had nausea the first few days with no other side effects. I also had a decreased appetite. I’m hopeful that I can lose 55 pounds and have my A1C go down."

Kay (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2019

For Weight Loss "I have been on Victoza for 4 weeks and on 1.8 dosage the last week. No side effects and also no weight loss. I eat what I have always eaten which is very little and I walk 2 or more miles every other day. I need to lose 40 lbs and was hopefully this medication would help. I am not diabetic but do have hypothyroidism. Discouraged!"

Amber January 14, 2019

For Weight Loss "I just started on Victoza on Jan. 2. Started at 0.6 for 5 days, then moved to 1.2. Side effects minimal. Experienced a headache 1 day, mild nausea first few days, a little more tired at night, which is when I take it. I'm down 8 pounds in 9 days. Am in my 50s, menopausal. I love, love, LOVE the CONTROL this medication gives me over food and my appetite. I have insulin resistance and mildly elevated blood sugar. Diabetes runs in my family. I guess my insurance (BCBS) figured "close enough" because they're paying for it!! Am so excited and LOVE this drug. It is so much more effective than amphetamine-like drugs for weight loss. I will check back in in a few and give you and update. As someone said, "Victoza is not for whimps." But if you can man it up, it's totally worth the side effects. Good luck, all."

BookLover (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I was on this medicine for 10 days and had all the side effects. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite, was a big one, back pain, upset stomach, painful urinating and difficulties. I was on this medicine 8 yrs ago never had a problem with it. This time it was so horrible having a reaction and not knowing what to do to feel better. The Doctor told me it had to run it’s course and get out of my system and I would feel better. It took about 3 days when I started to feel better."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Victoza did lower my numbers but the side effects were terrible. Acid reflux, nausea and diarrhea. The reviews and information I read said to put up with the diarrhea (it was green!) for awhile to see if your body would get used to it. After 2 weeks I had to stop the medication. Now it looks like there has been kidney damage, having tests done. If you get diarrhea, don't wait 2 weeks to quit!"

chihuahua (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on this for 4 years, along with 2G Metformin. A1C has been consistently under 6.0. I lost 60 pounds the first year, but gained back 20 after eliminating Metformin. I am now back on the Metformin, and am no longer gaining weight, at 25 pounds over ideal. Indigestion and reflux were an issue, early on, WHEN I ATE TOO MUCH. After learning to stop eating when I felt full, it was no longer an issue. I still use Omeprazole - just in case."

JohnJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I was so sick for 4 weeks straight. Vomiting and major diarrhea so bad I couldn't even live a normal life.... worst medication I have ever had!"

Hopper (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "After approximately 4 or so years of success on Byetta, I tried Bydurion, which I was told was a new version of Byetta, but injected once a week, and it wasn't necessary to inject, one hour before meals twice a day as with Byetta. My blood sugar on the Byetta was very much under control, and I lost approx. 45lb to 50lbs on it over approx. 4-5 months. I then heard about Victoza, and as I wasn't that comfortable with injecting once a week, I decided to try Victoza as I had heard great things about it, and it was only once per day, and no restrictions on when it should be taken. I had excellent results with Victoza as well. My A1C was always in the range of 6, often 5.8, or 5.9. However, I didn't lose any more weight."

stephenkarten (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Week 2 (11/16/18) and so far so good. I just took my first dose of 1.2. At 0.6 my side effects were minimal. Occasional indigestion. Feeling of being full faster and longer. I check my blood sugar every morning. It's slowly dropping which gives me hope that the Victoza is working. I'll post more next Friday."

Kris (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I am a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic,(15 + years). My blood sugar was OK but not well controlled. Doctor put me on Victoza 1.2 mg then to 1.8 mg. Lost 20 lbs then weight loss stopped. Some diarrhea as a side effect (Maybe Victoza or other meds). Great news A1C 6.6, I feel much better, no longer feel uncontrollably hungry. I have noticed that even moderate exercise helps this drug work. If you can at all afford it,try it."

Granpa P (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 16, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Background: I have type 2 and started Victoza today. 0.6. I will up my dose in 7 days to 1.2. Prior to becoming diabetic I was diagnosed with PCOS around the age of 15 (am 35 now) and was pre diabetic for years. I have lost weight on my own over many years but my A1C kept going up and I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with diabetes. I am hoping that I can lose 50 lbs and lower my blood sugar and A1C with Victoza and metformin 750 XR once daily. I have taken metformin for years without success but my Dr thinks I need a combination of the two. Side Effects: Today, I have had a dull headache that comes and goes. Nothing that is stopping my daily routine. I will keep updating this with my side effects, weight loss and A1C (11.5) so that others can determine if they feel that it's an option for them."

Kris (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

For Weight Loss "I took this injection for the first time just before going out for lunch. After returning home, my stomach started churning. I became nauseated and started vomiting for the next 24 hours. I thought I had food poisoning. It took 48 hours to recover. I then took the Victoza again and had the same symptoms. I was unable to hold down food, water or my blood pressure medicine for 48 hours. I remained nauseated for a week after that. I called my doctor who said stop taking it. I threw it away."

Tig2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started on Victoza a little over 3 weeks ago, at 5'5", 197 lbs. I am at the 1.8 dosage. I've lost ~5 pounds. I am active and am on Weight Watches but have been unable to lose weight for over 9 months until I started Victoza. I've had some side effects; elevated BP and a bit of a consistent headache (I'm trying to counteract this by eliminating caffeine, increasing water, reducing anti-inflammatory meds) and tiredness. However, the decrease in appetite is a welcome relief!"

CAI (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

For Weight Loss "Was on it 4 months before it stopped working. I was on 1.2 for 2.5 months and then 1.8 for 6 weeks. I had insulin resistance but was not pre-diabetic when I started it. I lost 30lbs and was full on 1500 calories a day. Given my level of activity, I should have only lost about 18-20lbs. Magical stuff."

Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

For Weight Loss "Started trial of Victoza from Dr. He wanted to check side effects before prescibing Saxenda. Lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks. BUT, insurance denied coverage for Saxenda so back to Dr. Second request for authorization and gave me another trial of Victoza. Insurance denied Saxenda again. I registered for the Saxenda prescription savings card and today went to my pharmacy $1021!!!! Talking to pharmacist he recommended getting script for Victroza bc insurance likes the price. Approved and my co pay is $25! I do get nausea when I increase dose, it doesn't last. Dry mouth bad first few weeks but helped me be motivated drink water. Diarrhea, yes rotating with constipation. Food doesn't appeal to me. Often don't eat dinner or just a few bites. LOT of fatigue. Heartburn mild but I think its bc I forget to eat and my stomach is empty. BOTTOM LINE.... love this for weight loss. SIde effects aren't perm. I'm losing weight. BEST part? I figured out how to get insurance coverage!!!!"

Hopeless (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started to lose weight with Victoza because I vomited twice a day for 3 weeks. When I finally got used to the drug I did see my sugar come down but not stay low for a 24 hour period. I has to stop because my co-pay was over $180 per month."

Geon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "This medication has been miraculous for me in managing type 2 diabetes, and losing weight as a big side perk. Although some side effects made the first six weeks challenging, after I had only been on it 3 months my a1c had dropped from 8.9 to 5.7 and I'd lost 40 pounds. Now I've been on it 9 months and my blood sugars are consistently in a normal range as well as having lost 82 pounds. As it slows digestion you feel full longer and eat less, although that can cause some heartburn/reflex, but it's manageable. I do know others personally that say this shot had no effect for them, but for me, it's been a life changer. I'm continuing to lose weight much slower but I'm 18 pounds until a "normal" weight for my height. I have been on the 1.8 dose since March."

Pippa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2018

For Weight Loss "I started on Victoza 11 days ago. I'm 36 years old, 5'10, I weighed 210. I'm down to 200 right now. So 10lbs gone. I had tried other diets such as keto and weight watchers. They would work for a bit but with my schedule they were hard to stick to. I also have PCOS. This drug has taken all those cravings for sugar away. I eat now not out of joy but out of necessity. I am not restricted. That was always my biggest downfall with other weight loss programs. I started on .6 for one week. I'm on 1.2 now. Saturday I'll go up to 1.8. I haven't had many side effects. Just nausea if I haven't eaten before my shot and if I have a big bunch of sugary foods. Lack of appetite is considered a side effect, but that's why I'm taking it so I don't list it. I have Medicare and they would not cover Saxenda but didn't have issue with Victoza."

MRB (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Weight Loss "I've used Victoza for 14 months at a max dosage of 1.8 mg. It has allowed me to loose 65 lbs and I continue to loose at a rate of about a pound every 10-12 days."

Maria (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2018