User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 163 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"I had a hard time assigning a numerical rating. On one hand, Victoza seemed like magic in that it lowered my sugars so reliably, and instantly. It almost seemed like validation that I wasn't doing anything "wrong"--my body needed help w/sugar metabolism. That earns a 10. On the other hand, I have to take into account quality of life. NEVER have I been so sick, for so many days consistently/consecutively. I am not a person who gets sick easily. I do not miss work due to illness. I function thru colds,upset stomach,headaches,muscle pain--you name it. Victoza knocked me on my butt. I was sick every day for 3 weeks. All same sx's as everybody else. There are NOT mild. I stopped it b4 I even got to 1.8 dose. Not reasonable. My body said hell no."

Lucy S (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I have been taking this medicine since before Christmas and the side effects are awful from feeling sick, really eggy belching and really bad wind that keeps me awake as anyone else experienced this and how long did it last ???"

Curvycaz83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

"I started November 18, 2016...First three weeks was super hard, fatigue and lost of appetite. Dr. gave me my first pen in the office. Took shot and straight to work to vomit. Today is December 27, 2016 and I am down 22 pounds. Insurance company notified they will stop paying for the medication effective 01/01/2017."

2morrow December 27, 2016

"Victoza is awesome. I got diagnosed my A1C was 13.6. They gave me Glipizid (XL 10 mg daily) and Metformin (1000mg 2x daly) and got my A1C to 10.8 and fasting glucose to 267 They gave up and sent me to the Endocrinologist. He gave me Victoza (6 mg for two weeks, then 1.2mg ) After 1 month my fasting glucose is down to 80 and my A1C is at 8.4, which is remarkable given that A1C test include two months without the drug. Even better, Victoza makes me feel full and I eat less. Weight has dropped 6 pounds already But it doesn't end there. I had mild hypertension 135/85. Now its 108/72 Only side effect was a mild rash at the injection site. Went away after a couple of weeks."

amarsailles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

"I am on day 3 of victoza at 0.6mg and am miserable. Repeated episodes of nausea, vomiting and watery diarrhea all day. Can hardly get out of bed except to go to bathroom. We will see if I make it through the night without a repeat, but I am stopping the med. It is not worth it. I did note an immediate decrease in appetite from day one and can see how it would help my weight if side effects weren't so bad"

Sudi22 December 5, 2016

"I have been taking Victoza now for about a month. I'm a relatively newly diagnosed diabetic. I found out two months ago. I was on 1000mg Metformin twice a day. Even on the Metformin my sugars would be 280-400. Even waking up in the morning fasting I would be in the 240-270 range. So in our first checkup my doctor suggested Victoza. Holy crap. What a difference. On the first day with only the .6 dose I had my first sugar below 200. I have had no negative side effects at all. I ramped up to the max dose in the first week because I was feeling great. I still have no negative side effects. My appetite is significantly reduced. Post meal sugars in the 120-140 range. 90 or less in the AM. Love this med!!!!"

SteelRain13M (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

"I was nothing but sick on this med. Severe intestinal diarrhea and abdominal pain. In effort to overcome all the dreadful side effects, I went on Paleo diet. No wheat, dairy, sugar, peanut or legume type beans. within a year I was off all diabetic meds. Yes it is radical life style change, but far better then injecting poison."

4RealDeal November 17, 2016

"I was recently prescribed victoza. the day I took my first dose (1.8) I ended up in the er. I was continuously throwing up and needed to be hydrated. The following week I tried it again and I was in the er again. This does not work for me. I have read many reviews that say it gets better after two weeks but how can you go on with your day if you are nausous or vomiting all day."

GSGS (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"Been on Victoza for about 3 months. Lost 20+ pounds. Started at .6 for two weeks then upped to 1.2 for a week and 1.8 since then. I've tried everything to control my blood sugar. Before Victoza, I was running about 165-195 in the morning and 140-150 all day. Metformin made it higher. Xigduo made it higher and had horrible side effects. Tried a few others with zero positive results. Victoza worked the best once I hit 1.8 dose. My morning BS is never higher than about 110 and I'm always <100 throughout the day. The biggest thing is that it completely controls my appetite. I work from home full-time and used to snack all day. With Victoza, I have to make myself eat and I eat very small portions. I'm just not hungry AT ALL. Love it!"

UHCougarsfan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

"I have officially been on Victoza for more than a year...I currently take highest dose of 1.8. along with Metformin daily. My A1C is finally normal @ 5.0 - my sugars never higher than 7.0 (even after meals) - I've yet to ever experience a episode of hypoglycemia. After a year there is 45 lbs less of me :) and my desire to be active/healthy again has returned. I will encourage those that Victoza alone is not solely the answer.....I have family members who also went on Victoza, did not follow diet/exercise and or portion control and the drug only made them feel worse and had no effects. I personally found Victoza a great tool in combo with portion/diet/exercise to truly be the answer I'd been waiting for! Worth a try if you are serious..."

McG Type 2 October 17, 2016

"I have been a type 2 diabetic for 10 yrs now. I tried victoza in may 2016. As of today, Sept. 24th I have lost 45 pounds, I'm down to 1 metformin a day and my A1C is great!! The side effects are minimal. Mainly sour stomach but that can be controlled mostly by diet. Low starch foods help alot. I'm so glad after trying a few newer meds that I found victoza!!!"

Brandy t (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

"I was warned of the nausea but after a few days that did slow down I find eating smaller meals and taking some ginger gravol pills help its the non drowsy kind ..am surprised how fast it started working cause I tested myself last night and hit a seven like haven't seen a seven in ages it agrees with me. not had those other symptoms just the nausea for a bit I take the ginger gravol or drink a ginger beer and am good usually"

fosia momma September 5, 2016

"Tried metformin & other oral meds but none could control my fasting levels & met forming makes me very nauseous. Endo suggested Victoza. Gave me samples to test. Lost about 10lbs in the first 1-2 weeks of using it. No obvious side effects, initially. Sugar levels seemed to normalize & I had a complete loss of appetite. All seemed well. The samples ran out & I went for a period not using it while I awaited an endo follow up. I could see the difference in my blood sugar levels when I stopped. However, after getting back on it the weight loss did not continue. The longer I use it the less it works. Now experiencing shortness of breath. Seeing a cardiologist tomorrow. Side effects I've experienced are constipation, extreme fatigue, shortn"

Dcpublicist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

"Started with .6 about 6 months ago. Nausea, dizziness, heartburn and loss of appetite. Not pleasant . Blood sugars did not seem to improve - questioned if stress due to symptoms was counteracting each other. (Stress raises glucose). Decided to give the drug it's best shot so after two week increased the dosing to maximum. (1.8). Slowly symptoms subsided and post meal glucose came down. Down substantially. Fasting still remains around 130 to 140 but that also is improved. Post meal about 140 if I eat a proper diet. While I would have preferred a greater reduction in numbers the drug is beneficial. Side effects are now all gone. I'm 64."

Bobsenior (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2016

"I have been on Victoza for many months now, I reached the highest dose, tried that for a few weeks and developed severe Gastroenteritis, abdominal pain, flatulence and severe belching so had to go on the lowest dose again. Now I have been taking 1.2 for two weeks and the symptoms have started again, last eve, night and today have been miserable and painful. I am ready to stop taking Victoza completely, the discomfort is just not worth it for some weight loss and a bit better blood sugar control. I will just have to have an increase in the amount of Lantus and Novalog that I have been taking. Discouraged with this med."

toofarnorth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

"I'm one week in with victoza and my appetite has decreased significantly, having gastroenteritis symptoms on an evening and really bad flatulence! Am eating small meals of bland food to compensate, started on 0.6 dose and will increase in a couple of days to 1.2. Good news am losing weight! No sugar cravings! Will keep you all posted on how it progresses"

Seahorse67 July 12, 2016

"So far so good,,,been on it for 11 days have lost 3,5 kilos but i have basically removed all sugars and starch from my diet, The great part is i do not crave carbs where as i use to live for them!! I dont eat meat so basically its veggies and fish,, My bs has dropped nicely as well."

gina 07 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

"Been on this for 3 weeka and sugars great now. Has side effects of tiredness, increased pulse and severe heartburn but all gone now. Lost 5kg first week but nothing since then. Absolutely gutted"

tricat 16 July 2, 2016

"I lost 8 lbs in 7 days but by the time I upped the pen to the middle dose I had no appetite and even when I tried to eat I gagged. I had to drink Boost to get something in me and was very weak, shakey and my heart was racing. I waited about a month and tried again planning to stick just to the lowest dose. By day 7 I had lost another 5 lbs and again was weak, and could hardly eat. Started having stomach cramping as well. I will not take this no matter how bad I want to loose weight or control my type 2 diabetes."

Made me weak. (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

"Hi am on Victoza now for 2 months. Was on it before for a month. Had some side effects in the beginning but now its fine. My blood sugar levels are under control as well as my high blood pressure. Do experience some constipation. Very good drug. Pray my medical aid will consider it for chronic meds."

Charmsvn May 13, 2016

"Wow, I have been on Victoza 2weeks, also take 1000mg metform daily. My blood sugars now range 70-115. Losing about 1# per 2days. Little nausea first week, but gets better. Amazed, and Publix grocery store covers this med 100% so it's free with a Rx"

Shawnmz May 5, 2016

"Have been on Victoza for 1 1/2 months. Have lost about 10 lbs which is good for me. BS is great now I am at 1.2mg. My only real complaint is that I get very sleepy about 2 hours after the injection. Have mild constipation and occasional nausea after 2 weeks. Initially had bad nausea. I am real pleased with how it is working for me so far."

JanRN2 May 4, 2016

"I began taking this drug at the 1.2 mg level. Within a half day I began having serious side effects. I thought I had a very bad virus. I had headache chills nausea vomiting diarrhea insomnia. I missed 3 days of work. I stopped taking the drug. A month later I tried it again at the .6 mg level. First half day ok w just no appetite but then all happened again- vomiting and this time cold symptoms. I began having horrible diarrhea last night and called off work today. This is 48 hours after I stopped taking it. I threw rest away this drug feels like poison to my body"

Ptmazeik May 4, 2016

"Started victoza in decemberror 2015, now in April 2016, I'm down 45 lbs. It has help control my appetite. I have some constipation. But no other symptoms. I was on Lantus but have been able to stop using it and blood sugars have remained in low 100's. I am currently on 1.2ml."

Wetse (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"I've been on it for 3 months. I started with the smallest dose and went up to the highest. At the lower dose I started seeing my fasting numbers go down significantly. At the middle dose, they leveled. At the higher dose, I was sick to my stomach with anything I ate. I was a zombie for a few hours. The first two months, my A1c went down significantly. The interesting thing about the med is that I never got the diarrhea, instead, it has given me constipation. I haven't lost any weight. I'm on the middle dose now. Another interesting thing about the med is that at the middle and higher dose, I am hungry all the time. I feel like I'm eating more than before. My fasting numbers are back up. I don't think it's working for me."

martuco April 12, 2016