User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"I have been on Victoza 1.8 for many years. Until recent blood work showed everything screwed up. When I went to my GP he told me the medication is basically killing me. Its making me lethargic, slowing down my metabolism, I am gaining weight and my body chemistry is dysfunctional. He ordered me to stop Victoza, its been a few days, I am still blah. Time will tell."

dyspond September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor started me on the 0.6 with instructions to increase to 1.2 after 1 week. At 1.2 the side effects became so intense, went back to .6 and have done much better without the side effects. My appetite has been a lot less and I can't wait until my next Dr. visit to check on the weight loss!! Side effects have been tolerable on 0.6. Very pleased with Victoza."

fbcmontgo (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Victoza for a few months and it caused me to have Gastroparesis! Sometimes diabetes meds can cause gastroparesis but my doctors were doubly sure it was the Victoza that did it!! I hope nobody else gets this!!! Now I have something else I have to live with the rest of my life!!"

Pandasmommy13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just recently started taking Victoza in August 2017 I am on my 2nd pen. I like that my sugars are no longer 495 or higher I am actually in the mid 100s. I started out on the 1.8 dose not the lower like I have read everyone did but I started out taking trulicity but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. Yes I have had the bloating, cramps, god awful smelling and tasting burps, no appetite and i have had weight loss. I cannot stand the sight of smell of food half the time and have to force myself to eat. I lost 6 lbs in the 1st week and a half. But I am happy with what it is doing for my sugars just wish there was a way to get rid of the burps. P.S Tums help a lil bit. Thank you all for your comments they have made me a lil less nervous"

DeneldaW2014 September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started Victoza on Tuesday. I had a rough bout of diarrhea and I have felt kind of out of sorts. My BG did drop after 24 hours. I was regularly in the 250-350 range and it's been 150-190. Like many, getting the egg burps. Last night I had some fried food and that didn't go well at all. It just seems like I have to eat perfectly for it to work. Maybe still getting used to it. Just don't feel myself, but could be just adjusting. I am also taking Invokana in the morning so maybe that has some effects as well. Going to try and stick with it. Not really interested in weight loss, but see that it happens. Good Luck to all."

Bob8377 September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 35 year old woman with PCOS, pre diabetes and high resistance to weight loss. Started Victoza 7/14/17. Sugars now in normal range and I've lost 16 lbs so far! Side effects included some stomach pain/cramping at first that has now eased up. I eat less and stay away from heavy/greasy foods to avoid side effects. I find that I always feel full. Never hungry. Occasional constipation, nothing too bad. Overall I'm very pleased to finally be losing weight and getting my sugars under control! I started at .6 ml and now am at 1.8. I find the dosing easy and painless. I'm excited to see how this affects my A1c thrilled the scale is finally moving in the right direction! I'll update in a few weeks."

AnnaMp7494 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Victoza is an amazing drug thank you. My insurance only covered trulicity it was garbage. At least for me, my doctor gave me a 2 week trial the difference was day and night. On the first day Victoza bought my sugar from 169 to 125 second day 99. 3 day 98 it's a steady 90 I have been doing .6 not up to the 1.8 I will ask my doctor to see if a higher dosage is necessary. My doctor fought for me against my insurance (like they care) they gave me permission for one year. My diarrhea was mild and is subsiding no other symptoms I take my med at night and it stopped the morning spikes. Some people say headaches, maybe doing the night injections help,,, I don't get them This drug is a miracle thank you Denmark sad we Americans don't care"

DETO August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor placed me on this medicine to reduce my sugar levels. In just 10 days my blood sugars are down on average 45-50 points --I have not seen numbers like this in 15+ years. Additionally I am down 5 lbs and still on a low dose."

AnthonyBigBear August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking victoza for three weeks and have lost ten pounds but at the cost of being sick as a dog every day. Cannot eat or stand the smell food cooking. I am done with this junk as of today."

Phoebie 1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this about a week and half ago and I haven't had any nausea a little dizziness or more of an off balance feeling. Went to the doctor today and am already down 6 pounds! She upped my dose to the 1.2 and after reading the reviews I am a little worried with the side affects seeing how they didn't really affect till they increased in the dose. My sugar has seen a little decrease but still needs some work. My appetite has also decreased. Thanks for all the reviews it helped me a lot!"

Rae1984 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sooo....started like everyone else on 0.6 after 2 days I spent 5 days in bed on the highest dosaging of Gravol. Never been so nauseated in my life. Then day 6 started feeling better. Definitely loss of appetite and only able to eat about 1/2 per meal as I did. This is my 4th week and still have some nausea on occasion and occasionally have diarrhea. So far I've lost 8lbs but haven't been dieting or exercising either. My morning sugars were from 12-16 now they're 8-12. Here's to 60 more lbs. "

~Magpie~ August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got con on victoza it does what it might say on the tin but its given me more than I bargained foe didn't expect to end up with thyroid cancer or depression Victoza makes me feel angry, sad etc I eat a meal I find I waste half of it it, makes me run to the loo more I don't end up making sometimes I go through lots of trousers in a day due to victoza causing problems I feel bloated my blood pressures gone up & up & up plus at first I thought I would give it a real chance to make a difference but has it not. Plus my GP said they have been given victoza to patients instead of Metformin- I don't think so as vicatoza is too expensive and Metforming is cheaper to buy than the other one. I feel like I've been lied to about the effects & affects it has on you"

Swetie pie July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I have been on Victoza for 6 weeks and estimate a weight loss of about 20 pounds maybe a little less. I did not even know this was really for weight loss and that was why the doctor gave it to me. But hey its working. I don't have a goal except to wear a pair of Men Speedo Bikini Swim suit. I know sounds funny but If I can get to 250 and with my height I will look good in them. My trip to Asia with the wife is in November so wish me luck. Oh and it is helping my A1C"

Katy Texas man (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor gave me Victoza to lower my A1C which was in 8.2. She put me in low dose 0.6 injection plus 2000mg metformin. I started feel side effects after the second injection headaches, nausea and a lot of stomach discomfort. I don't have too much appetite the which is good. My reading drooped from 174 fasting to 120. The only bad thing is that my insurance don't cover Victoza so my doctor switch me to Trulicity and I hope I don't have new side effects."

Mrs.Nocturnal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Victoza on 6/24 at .06 and the side effects were minimal. Little bloated feeling; nausea but never vomited. Then one week later increased to 1.2 then that's when the side effects got more intense; 'egg burps', diarrhea, gas, but no vomiting. Not much of an appetite and glad to say I've lost 14 lbs and BG is 109 in a.m. and highest I've seen after eating 2 hr reading 140. These are very good readings for me as I've never seen my a.m readings that low. Last Dr visit my A1C read was 7.5 Just going to stick with this regime of Victoza and see what my A1C read will be come Sept ...wish you all the best if you chose this RX"

Cb641 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started VICTOZA on June 26th 2017 didn't really have any of the side effects it did give me some what of a headache. I stared out taking 0.6 and now I'm at 1.8 I think you have to start out low so your body gets use to it. So far I have lost 20lbs and my sugar levels are really good. I got back to the doctor in August for my A1C last time it was 9.2 can't wait to see what it is this time. I will write another review in August."

jujhukle6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started victoza on April 21 2017 weighing 305lb. Started taking .06 and the first week had gas and insomnia, light nausea and loss of appetite totally. BP went from 135/80 to 120/70 Week 2 increase medication to 1.2 lost 8 lbs in 2 wks. At week 4 no more side effects weighing 288lb. Take peppermint gel caps for nausea and it helps with gas. I hope to get weight down to 200 lbs. No fried foods No pizza No soda, just fruits meat vegetables steamed chicken tuna fish salads smoothies and less dairy products. Will you posted. My blood sugars dropped by.50/100 points now. Can't really say to much bad about this drug but it help me to stay full less eating plenty of water."

Tuttie1977 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking victoza since April 2017, I been having a lot of nausea and diarrhea, I also have a host of other illness, like gastroparisis, I have had that problem before I started taking victoza, dr. Said that gastroparisis is a side effect from being a diabetic , so I will continue to take my victoza cause my a1c is way better not eating a lot and cause my goal is to lose weight, so I deal with the side effects, good luck to all that can hang in there with it."

Dc53 -1964 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Here are some of my comments about posts like this made from non medical professionals. First off, the propylene glycol guy - unless your antifreeze is junk it should contain ethylene glycol. Additionally, almost all multi dose vials contain propylene glycol as a preservative and phenol is only a drying alcohol. It's also found in camphor phenique and similar oral pain remedies. It doesn't cause cancer it causes low blood pressure (pg) when given IV press in a fast manner. (Read a book). Secondly, if your GP is garbage there are about another 100k mds around so find a better one. I bet you spent less time looking for your GP than your car. You probably went to this great guy your friend from the fire department recommended."

DrEddieZane June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did well on the 1.2 dose but the 1.8 dose gave me significant side effects and they are just getting worse. I had to have prescription medication for vomiting. Side effects include, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, sore throat, tiredness, diarrhea, dizziness. It has been almost a month at 1.8 and I feel horrible. The side effects outweigh the benefits in my case. I will have to go back to the 1.2 dose and try to increase it by .1 every week."

BarbWestervelt June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on Victoza 0.6 for the first two weeks experiencing some nausea and diarrhea about every 4th day. Week three upped the dose to 1.2, for the next two weeks, again experiencing the same issues but not quite as bothersome. My appetite is definitely diminished, and at times I will feel queasy before eating. I have lost 7 pounds in the four weeks. My energy level is good, I continue to workout 6 days a week and my blood sugar readings have dropped significantly. Going into week five (started on 1.8 this am) my morning readings are averaging 127 and that's down significantly from my average of 163 before starting this medication."

Disney nut June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My GP has done a con Job as they shoved me on Victoza without any info on how safe it is. As they can't prove stuff they have got you by the short & curlies. If you continue to take you could be seriously ill later. Think do you want to die - I think not. Get it withdrawn as it causes thyroid problems, plus cancer - who wants this - not me. I told my GP that I wasn't taking it any more if they couldn't be honest about victoza"

sillysod (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yea! Lets put Antifree in our body! Doctor want me to take it. Look up the inactive crap your putting in your body What are the ingredients in Victoza? Propylene glycol! Phenol (paint stripper) No thanks. Its all money and killing us! Active Ingredient: liraglutide Inactive Ingredients: disodium phosphate dihydrate, propylene glycol, phenol and water for injection"

why?? poison June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am having a lot of side effects like heartburn running nose, back pain indigestion and sweats. I don't know whether to stop taking the meds, it has lowered my sugar greatly down to 88 instead of 300. I am also taking 10 mgs of glyburide in the morning and evening"

little cindy May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on for 3 weeks and am losing weight. Clothes are loser. I average about 700 calories a day, as that is all I can bear to eat. The sight of food makes me nauseated and I take the med at night because of the drowsiness it produces. It is doing what it promises. Food has taken a back seat in my life for a change. I don't even think of my next meal, anymore."

FLDUO May 28, 2017