User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 159 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Tried metformin & other oral meds but none could control my fasting levels & met forming makes me very nauseous. Endo suggested Victoza. Gave me samples to test. Lost about 10lbs in the first 1-2 weeks of using it. No obvious side effects, initially. Sugar levels seemed to normalize & I had a complete loss of appetite. All seemed well. The samples ran out & I went for a period not using it while I awaited an endo follow up. I could see the difference in my blood sugar levels when I stopped. However, after getting back on it the weight loss did not continue. The longer I use it the less it works. Now experiencing shortness of breath. Seeing a cardiologist tomorrow. Side effects I've experienced are constipation, extreme fatigue, shortn"

Dcpublicist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

"Started with .6 about 6 months ago. Nausea, dizziness, heartburn and loss of appetite. Not pleasant . Blood sugars did not seem to improve - questioned if stress due to symptoms was counteracting each other. (Stress raises glucose). Decided to give the drug it's best shot so after two week increased the dosing to maximum. (1.8). Slowly symptoms subsided and post meal glucose came down. Down substantially. Fasting still remains around 130 to 140 but that also is improved. Post meal about 140 if I eat a proper diet. While I would have preferred a greater reduction in numbers the drug is beneficial. Side effects are now all gone. I'm 64."

Bobsenior (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2016

"I have been on Victoza for many months now, I reached the highest dose, tried that for a few weeks and developed severe Gastroenteritis, abdominal pain, flatulence and severe belching so had to go on the lowest dose again. Now I have been taking 1.2 for two weeks and the symptoms have started again, last eve, night and today have been miserable and painful. I am ready to stop taking Victoza completely, the discomfort is just not worth it for some weight loss and a bit better blood sugar control. I will just have to have an increase in the amount of Lantus and Novalog that I have been taking. Discouraged with this med."

toofarnorth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

"I'm one week in with victoza and my appetite has decreased significantly, having gastroenteritis symptoms on an evening and really bad flatulence! Am eating small meals of bland food to compensate, started on 0.6 dose and will increase in a couple of days to 1.2. Good news am losing weight! No sugar cravings! Will keep you all posted on how it progresses"

Seahorse67 July 12, 2016

"So far so good,,,been on it for 11 days have lost 3,5 kilos but i have basically removed all sugars and starch from my diet, The great part is i do not crave carbs where as i use to live for them!! I dont eat meat so basically its veggies and fish,, My bs has dropped nicely as well."

gina 07 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

"Been on this for 3 weeka and sugars great now. Has side effects of tiredness, increased pulse and severe heartburn but all gone now. Lost 5kg first week but nothing since then. Absolutely gutted"

tricat 16 July 2, 2016

"I lost 8 lbs in 7 days but by the time I upped the pen to the middle dose I had no appetite and even when I tried to eat I gagged. I had to drink Boost to get something in me and was very weak, shakey and my heart was racing. I waited about a month and tried again planning to stick just to the lowest dose. By day 7 I had lost another 5 lbs and again was weak, and could hardly eat. Started having stomach cramping as well. I will not take this no matter how bad I want to loose weight or control my type 2 diabetes."

Made me weak. (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

"Hi am on Victoza now for 2 months. Was on it before for a month. Had some side effects in the beginning but now its fine. My blood sugar levels are under control as well as my high blood pressure. Do experience some constipation. Very good drug. Pray my medical aid will consider it for chronic meds."

Charmsvn May 13, 2016

"Wow, I have been on Victoza 2weeks, also take 1000mg metform daily. My blood sugars now range 70-115. Losing about 1# per 2days. Little nausea first week, but gets better. Amazed, and Publix grocery store covers this med 100% so it's free with a Rx"

Shawnmz May 5, 2016

"Have been on Victoza for 1 1/2 months. Have lost about 10 lbs which is good for me. BS is great now I am at 1.2mg. My only real complaint is that I get very sleepy about 2 hours after the injection. Have mild constipation and occasional nausea after 2 weeks. Initially had bad nausea. I am real pleased with how it is working for me so far."

JanRN2 May 4, 2016

"I began taking this drug at the 1.2 mg level. Within a half day I began having serious side effects. I thought I had a very bad virus. I had headache chills nausea vomiting diarrhea insomnia. I missed 3 days of work. I stopped taking the drug. A month later I tried it again at the .6 mg level. First half day ok w just no appetite but then all happened again- vomiting and this time cold symptoms. I began having horrible diarrhea last night and called off work today. This is 48 hours after I stopped taking it. I threw rest away this drug feels like poison to my body"

Ptmazeik May 4, 2016

"Started victoza in decemberror 2015, now in April 2016, I'm down 45 lbs. It has help control my appetite. I have some constipation. But no other symptoms. I was on Lantus but have been able to stop using it and blood sugars have remained in low 100's. I am currently on 1.2ml."

Wetse (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"I've been on it for 3 months. I started with the smallest dose and went up to the highest. At the lower dose I started seeing my fasting numbers go down significantly. At the middle dose, they leveled. At the higher dose, I was sick to my stomach with anything I ate. I was a zombie for a few hours. The first two months, my A1c went down significantly. The interesting thing about the med is that I never got the diarrhea, instead, it has given me constipation. I haven't lost any weight. I'm on the middle dose now. Another interesting thing about the med is that at the middle and higher dose, I am hungry all the time. I feel like I'm eating more than before. My fasting numbers are back up. I don't think it's working for me."

martuco April 12, 2016

"I had all the symptoms on the first two doses. nausea,vomiting, diarrhea. I also take metformin. I took metformin with almond milk and a probiotic along with the victoza injection. No more chronic diarrhea . I eat small meals to keep from getting nauseated."

Simba 57 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"Was on victoza 4 years ago and lost about 48 pounds, had an A1C of 6.8-7.1. Switched insurances to one that didn't cover victoza. Had to go on insulin instead, 70/30 55 units before breakfast and dinner. So I gained back 40 pounds in about 10 months, A1C has been as high as 11.2 and as low as 8.0. Have had to deal with hypoglycemia several times. Just got new insurance this month, began Victoza last Thursday, and took my insulin that day, too. Glucose dropped from high 200s average to having a 104 and a 118 that day!! I haven't seen numbers like that in a couple of years! Friday, I skipped my insulin dose. glucoses are staying in the 100s, appetite is much less, and I am INSULIN FREE, which will help in so many ways!"

RN w Type 2 (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"At first the side effects were horrible, nausea, diarrhea etc. It seemed to subside after a while. However, My doc decided to up my dose to 1.8 and during that night I had the worst stomach pain (woke me up out of a dead sleep). I decided to take the same dose the second day, and again the same stomach pain. I went back down to 1.2 the day after that I could not handle the pain I was having. I will say I have lost 49lbs sense I started a few months back, but I have to wonder why my thyroid is starting to ache all the time?"

shelbygirl68 March 24, 2016

"Rapid heart rate, persistent nausea, respitory issues, loss of voice. dry skin/throat, abominal pain, back pain, constipation & bloating or frequent gas... it has really messed me up!"

It was scary March 24, 2016

"So far not impressed. Had tummy upset for two weeks but that did ease off. I do feel full and bloated which is good but my blood sugars are higher than when I was on othe meds by mouth. I'm on Novo mix 30 insulin 60 morning dose and 60 evening dose. My readings over the last week have been from 12.8 to 24.6. Surely this isn't right. And no weight loss. Feel really disappointed. I do take Mirtazipine for depression and my G.P. has just increased my dose. Apparently this can cause increased weight and appetite. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment."

Sweeney tod (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

"This medication is fantastic. The only reason I gave it a score of 8 is because I can sick to my stomach. It brought my sugar reading from 285 to 144 in just one day!"

Yourscrubnurse924 March 14, 2016

"I have been using Victoza for nearly 2 years and do not know how effective it has been. However my doctor tells me that it is helping. My biggest gripe is the pen that is used to deliver the medication. It is the worst injectable tool, very hard to use, it sticks continuously making giving an injection a wrestling match!"

David91301 March 13, 2016

"I've been using victoza for 3 months now. 1.6 for few weeks then 1.8. I had one night of sickness at beginning and another recently but in general it's more like the thought of eating food that makes me feel sick. My bowel and stomach feels a lot like I need to have an evacuation but I've not had diarrhea. As for weight loss I've gone from over 17 stone to 14st 7lbs in 3 months without doing anything. My Hbc1a has dropped from over 25 to around 7.. So everything is pretty amazing. I'm lucky that it's free for me in UK but it did take a few years to get it prescribed by my diabetic specialist nurse. I don't know if there are any long term side effects but at present I believe it has changed and saved my life."

jaymo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"I've been on this medication for 2 1/2 months. I have POCS and type 2 diabetes and always struggled with my weight. I was 300, and now I'm 276. I feel the weight loss would have been even more significant had I eaten right from the get go. This medication can especially help those with POCS lose weight by slowing down your digestion and keeping you fuller longer. The last month I really put in the effort of cutting my calories and allowing the medication do it's thing without increasing my activity. This is the fastest weight loss I have ever seen even with restricting calories and daily gym visits. My a1c went from 6.6 to the 6.1, and glucose 90..it's never been that low. Great drug..little to no side effects for me."

LauraJaneD March 3, 2016

"I've been on Victoza .6 for five days now along with 1000 mg of of Metformin ER each day. My main complaint is diarrhea. I take it in the evening and once I get up in the morning I am in the bathroom 5 or 6 times. I've read so much information about Victoza and I was really hesitant to start taking it because of all the side effects. I also feel like I have a brick in my abdomen. I can only eat a little bit at a time and once I eat I hit the bathroom again. I'm trying to focus mainly on watching my carbs because that's truly my downfall. So far I've lost a pound a day. I really need this to lose weight and get off about 75 pounds. I've tried everything! I'm having a hard time leaving the house with this diarrhea. Is it going to ever end?"

Doodlemamma (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

"Since I have been using victoza my blood sugar has been great. My A1C went from 12.9 to 6.8. Before my doctor put me on victoza I was weighing 189 pounds. Today I my weight is 140lb so I have lost 49 pounds. I have no side effects from this drug. Very happy my doctor put me on this drug."

Shun1 February 29, 2016

"On victoza for 16 mo. Prior to Victoza, I suffered severe fatigue, high blood pressure, hypo thyroid, depression, epstein bar and other symp. Prior to endo, went to 5 different drs and they all medicated me w/out results. After Victoza, nausea and headaches for about 2 weeks, then I felt like a new human being. Energy, no depression, lost 30 pounds. Endo & I decided to slowly come off the meds. After 1.5 weeks, began to feel fatigue and began to gain weight. TERRIFIED... that I would go back to my old self again and of all the reports of pancreatitis, thyroid n pancreas cancer. If I go back on, am I taking a risk? Scared..."

Cynnic (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016