User Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Victoza has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 451 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 70% of those users who reviewed Victoza reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Victoza Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 157 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

37% 165
3% 12
9% 40

Reviews for Victoza

Hrts419 · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

“Prescribed Victoza for type 2 diabetes and to aid with weight loss. My A1C was low enough that I didn’t require any medication, during quarantine I’ve put on 14 pounds, my A1C rose to 8.2. I took Victoza one time, the lowest possible dose. For the next 36 hours I was violently ill. I’ve honestly never taken a prescription that made me so sick. Dizzy, headache, nausea. The urge to vomit was so strong even 30 hours later, I had to take deep breaths to keep from hurling. No thanks. I called the doctors office today and told them, no way.”

Wendy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2021

“The cost of this medication is RIDICULOUS! have had to pay as much as an $800 COPAY on my Medicare pharmacy plans. Medicare must do something about these costs! I see the Victoza patent is up in August, 2022. It should not be renewed so retired patients can afford this medication too!”

NK · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

“I did my research on this medication and to be honest I was kinda nervous to take it. My Dr prescribed me this cuz my blood sugars were so out of whack. Morning BS were running any where from 250-270. I started this medication 2 1/2 weeks ago. At first didn't really get any side effects just a little nauseous here and there. I started out at 2 clicks and gradually made it up the 0.6. My BS morning reading is around 160 which I love didn't think this medicine would work so quickly. I've lost 6lbs already starting weight was 167. I do have more energy and don't feel so sluggish like I used to with the high BS all day long. It curbed my appetite I don't have no cravings for any sugar. Eat small portions cuz I get full so easily. I actually noticed food that is too greasy gets me nauseous or stomach ache. I want to continue to share my story as weeks or months go on :)”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 10, 2020

“I have been taking Victoza for a couple years. Hasn't really bothered me until a month ago. My stomach hurts and rumbles a lot. Stay bloated and nauseated.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2020

“My Victoza exp 06/2022 batch#ks6bb45 is one of the pens that have stopped at the 9mg line there have 3 other pens do the same thing at over $800.00 per script that is a big problem after speaking with the company rep I was told to call ins and use a refill to get another a whole lot of work for me to do I'm not the problem. Beware if you have a problem.”

Butch · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 3, 2020

“My Dr. told me upfront I would experience nausea for around a couple weeks. I did. My numbers dropped like a rock. Lost 40 pounds, and look better and feel better, and have a new closet of clothes. After about the 2 weeks I realized the nausea was gone. If you can 'hang in there' with it that long this might be just what you need to help with your diabetes.”

Melistar · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2020

“Within 4 days on the 0.6 dose my fasting blood sugars came down to 114. I'm not hungry. Before I started Victoza I was taking 20 units of Lantus and 2000 mg of metformin a day plus eating a low carb diet. I am slightly dizzy and get mild eggy burps and have some bathroom issues along with mild nausea. I plan to titrate up to the 1.2 dose by one click a day to help offset the side effects. Sipping on diet ginger ale seems to help calm the queasy. I hope this medication continues to work for me without bad side effects because this is literally the first time in years that my blood sugar is in a normal range.”

Debm · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“Horrible insomnia & anxiety while on Victoza! Personally I compare it to chemo!! Sleep meds given DID NOT WORK while on Victoza! I believe it changed my body chemistry..NEVER AGAIN!”

TMarie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

“I started using Victoza about 2 months ago; the first week started off on 0.6 dose then second week went up to 1.6 dose. That's when everything hit the fan, the nausea is unbearable. As I am typing this my trash can is right next to me. I have been in bed last 3 days to weak to even get up. I been basically doing a BRAT diet last few days cause everything that I get comes back up. In the mornings are the worst cause, my stomach is empty and all that's coming up is green liquid that's sour. My muscles in my stomach hurts so bad and I'm just tired of pooping. I will call my doctor next week to look into a different option because this is just not for my body. Oh yeah my blood sugar readings are good and I've lost 13 pounds in 2 week. I don't want to go through this much sickness.”

Bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

“An endocrinologist took me off glimipiride and started me on Victoza and Jardiance. I lost 33 pounds in 6 months then reached a plateau at 199 pounds. I want to lose 15 more pounds so the doc bumped me up to 1.8 from 1.2. It still makes me a bit nauseous but I eat less because of it. A1C 7.3 down from 8.8.”

Marie · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2020

“I have been taking Victoza for 2 years now. It works great my A1C is 5.6. However I wish the pen would be more user friendly. The dosage is hard to push through all the way. It should be one click and it’s in. I’m an elderly and have limited strength to push with one hand.”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“From a 1-10, I am rating it at a strong 7. I was prescribed Victoza because I was borderline diabetic and to help aid in weight loss. I have been taking this medicine since Late November, so far I have dropped 14 lbs. The side affects are not always so great. Although it suppress my appetite and I no longer get/feel hungry throughout the day I have become very gassy and the nausea's are non-stop! My stomach will cramp up every now and again and cause some diarrhea which then leads to migraines from dehydration. If you can handle these side affects then I believe it can be a great medication for both lowering sugar levels and weight loss,.”

Brat · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 19, 2020

“I have been on Victoza for a year. When I started, my A1C was 6.7. It is now 5.5. I lost 40 pounds.”

Dermdoc · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

“I have been taking Victoza for 6 weeks for PCOS insulin resistance. I am on 0.6 mg daily injection. Lost 12 pounds, no more starvation, no hand shaking, and no constant thinking about food. I went up on dose to 1.2 mg but had to reduce back due to severe tiredness. I love this medication.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 15, 2020

“Lost 16 kg. Best thing I ever took”

Whitey · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 27, 2020

“I think it works great but I think they could redesign the pen & put some ridges on the pen to grip it while injecting, it's so smooth it's hard to grip & push the plunger with one hand.”

BJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2020

“I had been on Byetta and Metformin for twelve years and had maintained an A1C in the mid 5 range. I had suffered no Diabetic related complications. My treatment was successful. Then, my insurance insisted I change to Victoza. It did not work and I had severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The diarrhea was so severe I was constantly dehydrated and then my vision began to change. My AIC jumped to the high 7's. The drug was a disaster for me. I had to move heaven and earth to get back to Byetta and my AIC is coming down but the Byetta doesn't seem to be as effective as it was prior to taking the Victoza. I have to wonder if the Victoza has left some residual problems with the pancreas not responding as before.”

Peanut · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 11, 2019

“I have been on Victoza for about 6 or 7 years. I really do love it because my A1C is constantly around 6, I'm on 1.2 dose, and since I have lost approximately 45 lbs I am really happy about that. My only issue is the cost when I'm in the donut hole it goes up by $119. I'm sincerely considering changing this med to another more affordable one. I just can't do insulin. I'm in a pickle. I'm so torn especially since I have absolutely no side effects.”

RBee80 · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

“I was at my wits end when my PCP prescribed Victoza and all I can say is, what a game changer. However, the side effects have been horrendous starting with diarrhea, proceeding into a migraine, and then unbearable nausea. Week one on 0.6 started this way, but had nearly resolved by day 7. When I upped my dose to 1.2, the symptoms started all over again, exact same pattern, only this time the nausea was extreme and led to vomiting on day 8. I’ve had to miss 4 days of work and would have missed more, but I work three 12 hour shifts a week. I finally went back to 0.6 on day 8. Feeling pretty defeated, feeling like I stuck with it, missed work, and suffered all the ill effects for nothing. I was seeing great results, fbgs ~116, even had a BG of 75, but that really didn’t count since it was when I couldn’t hold any food down. Postprandial bgs ~140. This was all without insulin. I do still take 1000mg metformin nightly, though.”

Ala · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2019

“I have on Victoza for one year now . I have lost almost 40 kgs. Minimal side effects . I am 44 years old male and do not really exercise every day . This medicine is a wonder.”

Sirine · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

“I’ve been on Victoza for 3 months. I had horrible reactions to Ozempic. I have a very overly sensitive stomach with other GI issues. Ozempic made me very sick and I read better reviews on Victoza. I have been on .6mg for over 3 months and if you are having issues with higher doses, I strongly encourage keeping at a low dose. It was extremely effective for me! I tried to increase to 1.2mg and after 5 days my body started feeling the same effects Ozempic did so I went back to 0.6mg. My A1c went from 7.2 to 6.1 in 3 months!! It also had the opposite effect of the 1.2mg which gave me severe diarrhea the 0.6mg actually gives me normal BMs since I already have an ongoing GI issue with diarrhea. I honestly love it! I was told doctors don’t prescribe .6mg because no clinical studies weren’t done on this dosage, but this seriously worked great in 3 months. I’m giving it a 9/10 because I still get annoying gas and painful stomach cramps now and again, which can be annoying.”

Cajan · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2019

“The first week was the worst, started at 0.6. The diarrhea was bad. Even worse the weird belching, the burps were gross. It was like my body was getting rid of actual dirt in it. By the time second week rolled around and I had to increase my dose to 1.2 most of the "dirt" was out of my system. The belching still continued and BMs were better. Lost 4lbs. I'm at 1.8 dose now. The adjustment seems to get smoother to the increases of doses. I agree with the other comments that it's strange how I don't think about food or wanting to eat. I'm hoping that prolonged thinking (or lack of thinking) will help change my relationship with food. Plus, I feel better on the inside, physically. If that makes any sense. Hoping for more and continued positive changes. I'm glad I stuck with it through the onset reactions.”

Scarlett · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

“This has made me so sick. Really really sick. I’ve been on it for a few months. Lost over 20 lbs. I’m coming off. I can’t be sick all the time”

Bake1074 October 3, 2019

“I'm giving this drug a solid 5 because it's really terrible yet really good. It has THE WORST side effects of anything ever. It has caused some of the worst pain of my life. Mainly I get very severe stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. The other side of this drug is that it's excellent at controlling blood sugar. I take insulin and metformin also, and I don't think they are greatly effective on me. Victoza makes them work. One other benefit is appetite suppression, physically and mentally (if that's a thing). I actually went on this drug first for weight loss. It makes it so that I don't think about food at all. I don't get as hungry either. This naturally helps to lose weight. Those two things are good enough benefits for me to endure the absolutely horrific side effects. A side note: the nausea got better after a couple weeks for me but I still get cramps and diarrhea.”

Anon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 3, 2019

“I have been on Victoza for over 7 months. I have lost 40+ pounds. 1.6 mg dose. A1C went from 6.7 to 5.5. No bad side effects.”