User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"My doctor suggested victoza. The biggest side effects are constipation and upset stomach. I burp and have gas a lot. My appetite is gone and I can't eat as much. I fill up quickly. I have only lost a few pounds but I am only 17 pounds overweight. I will stick with it. My fasting sugar numbers have been between 100 and 115. I will stick with it."

cinderlast (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Down 14 lbs in 4 weeks. No appetite, waves of nausea from time to time. I vomited the first week with it, and I have had two episodes of diarrhea. I am on 1.8 now for almost a week and am feeling better. This is exactly what I needed to get my eating under control. Love the fact that I'm not hungry and that food does not look or sound appealing to me at all. So now I make myself eat and when I do I'm choosing healthy foods."

Wldhair46 March 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor gave me samples of Victoza to take along with metformin. Started on .6 and then increased to 1.2. I have been on it for a little over a month. Don't know if it's working on my a1c numbers as I have not had tests yet. I am having terrible headaches, neck hurts and fatigue all the time. It's making me hungry all the time, have gained 5 pounds. But the worse side effect is welts that are red and itchy at the injection sites. My doctor has told me to stop taking it. Do not recommend!! I was on Trulicity , which was working wonderful, lowered by A1c level from 8.4 to 6.1, but cost is way to high and that's with insurance! so back to the drawing board. :-("

af2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Grandma and grandpa both got very sick while talking this. DO NOT recommend!!!!!!"

HelpingHand8488 February 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of struggling with my weight after developing hypothyroidism my family physician sent me to an endocronologist. After keeping a food diary for a month and tracking my exercise levels my endo studied both the food diary and exercise patterns and completely understood my frustration on why my weight wouldn't budge no matter what I did. He thought why not lets try Victoza and see what happen. At my first 3 month follow up I had dropped 29 pounds, and although the weight is coming off tougher now I will be going in for my 9 month follow up soon and altogether have lost a total of 40 pounds. I highly recommend giving this medication a try if you have struggled with your weight at all."

MJ Elieff February 15, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I absolutely do NOT recommend this medication! I tried it to help with some weight loss along with lowering my blood sugar. I only got through 2 doses. I immediately suffered from nausea and headaches the first day. The second night on victoza, I awoke with severe stomach pain and began throwing up. Throughout the next day I felt miserable. Headaches, achy, low energy, and puking everything I tried to put in my body. I ended up in the ER that night dehydrated. Due to the severe stress on my body, I ended up with ketoacidosis. I spent 3 days in the hospital. It was the worst experience I have ever suffered due to a medication. Please do your research before taking this medication."

Mommy of a Princess (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Victoza today. At only 0.6 mg. I felt so undeniably and utterly unwell that I cannot imagine even trying it for a second day. In summary, severe low blood sugar symptoms, ravenously hungry and I was also prescribe this for weight loss as well as diabetes, headache, no energy, and a general feeling of being very not well. In short I do not recommend this to anyone."

Midsummerlight February 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on victoza 0.6 mg for a week. Was on a flozin before which was wonderful, lost a stone and g ad tons of energy. Then I was forced to go onto victoza. Felt sick with headache since, stomach pain, constipation, always but thirsty. In fact so thirsty I can't sleep, no matter how much water I drink. Sore throat, which puts me off solid food. Hungry all the time but cut down on carbs so can't fill up. Plus, my blood sugar has shot up from 9 to 14 on this rubbish. Wondering whether the higher 1.2 dose would work, but scared of feeling even more ill. The energy I gained on the flozin has gone, I just want to sleep all the time. I am forced to use this as it was prescribed, they said they want to keep me on it 6 months. Can't wait to get back on t,"

Cooljools (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the beginning stomach aches and loss of appetite but now I've got my eyesight back to normal, no longer thirsty and best of all, I've lost weight, truly a win win situation."

BonnieSantana February 3, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great Effective Unbelievable"

Alankar sangle (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was hard to get used to the first couple weeks but has been great since..... I give It a 9/10"

laurie-h (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a hard time assigning a numerical rating. On one hand, Victoza seemed like magic in that it lowered my sugars so reliably, and instantly. It almost seemed like validation that I wasn't doing anything "wrong"--my body needed help w/sugar metabolism. That earns a 10. On the other hand, I have to take into account quality of life. NEVER have I been so sick, for so many days consistently/consecutively. I am not a person who gets sick easily. I do not miss work due to illness. I function thru colds,upset stomach,headaches,muscle pain--you name it. Victoza knocked me on my butt. I was sick every day for 3 weeks. All same sx's as everybody else. There are NOT mild. I stopped it b4 I even got to 1.8 dose. Not reasonable. My body said hell no."

Lucy S (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medicine since before Christmas and the side effects are awful from feeling sick, really eggy belching and really bad wind that keeps me awake as anyone else experienced this and how long did it last ???"

Curvycaz83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started November 18, 2016...First three weeks was super hard, fatigue and lost of appetite. Dr. gave me my first pen in the office. Took shot and straight to work to vomit. Today is December 27, 2016 and I am down 22 pounds. Insurance company notified they will stop paying for the medication effective 01/01/2017."

2morrow December 27, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Victoza is awesome. I got diagnosed my A1C was 13.6. They gave me Glipizid (XL 10 mg daily) and Metformin (1000mg 2x daly) and got my A1C to 10.8 and fasting glucose to 267 They gave up and sent me to the Endocrinologist. He gave me Victoza (6 mg for two weeks, then 1.2mg ) After 1 month my fasting glucose is down to 80 and my A1C is at 8.4, which is remarkable given that A1C test include two months without the drug. Even better, Victoza makes me feel full and I eat less. Weight has dropped 6 pounds already But it doesn't end there. I had mild hypertension 135/85. Now its 108/72 Only side effect was a mild rash at the injection site. Went away after a couple of weeks."

amarsailles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on day 3 of victoza at 0.6mg and am miserable. Repeated episodes of nausea, vomiting and watery diarrhea all day. Can hardly get out of bed except to go to bathroom. We will see if I make it through the night without a repeat, but I am stopping the med. It is not worth it. I did note an immediate decrease in appetite from day one and can see how it would help my weight if side effects weren't so bad"

Sudi22 December 5, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Victoza now for about a month. I'm a relatively newly diagnosed diabetic. I found out two months ago. I was on 1000mg Metformin twice a day. Even on the Metformin my sugars would be 280-400. Even waking up in the morning fasting I would be in the 240-270 range. So in our first checkup my doctor suggested Victoza. Holy crap. What a difference. On the first day with only the .6 dose I had my first sugar below 200. I have had no negative side effects at all. I ramped up to the max dose in the first week because I was feeling great. I still have no negative side effects. My appetite is significantly reduced. Post meal sugars in the 120-140 range. 90 or less in the AM. Love this med!!!!"

SteelRain13M (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was nothing but sick on this med. Severe intestinal diarrhea and abdominal pain. In effort to overcome all the dreadful side effects, I went on Paleo diet. No wheat, dairy, sugar, peanut or legume type beans. within a year I was off all diabetic meds. Yes it is radical life style change, but far better then injecting poison."

4RealDeal November 17, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was recently prescribed victoza. the day I took my first dose (1.8) I ended up in the er. I was continuously throwing up and needed to be hydrated. The following week I tried it again and I was in the er again. This does not work for me. I have read many reviews that say it gets better after two weeks but how can you go on with your day if you are nausous or vomiting all day."

GSGS (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Victoza for about 3 months. Lost 20+ pounds. Started at .6 for two weeks then upped to 1.2 for a week and 1.8 since then. I've tried everything to control my blood sugar. Before Victoza, I was running about 165-195 in the morning and 140-150 all day. Metformin made it higher. Xigduo made it higher and had horrible side effects. Tried a few others with zero positive results. Victoza worked the best once I hit 1.8 dose. My morning BS is never higher than about 110 and I'm always <100 throughout the day. The biggest thing is that it completely controls my appetite. I work from home full-time and used to snack all day. With Victoza, I have to make myself eat and I eat very small portions. I'm just not hungry AT ALL. Love it!"

UHCougarsfan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have officially been on Victoza for more than a year...I currently take highest dose of 1.8. along with Metformin daily. My A1C is finally normal @ 5.0 - my sugars never higher than 7.0 (even after meals) - I've yet to ever experience a episode of hypoglycemia. After a year there is 45 lbs less of me :) and my desire to be active/healthy again has returned. I will encourage those that Victoza alone is not solely the answer.....I have family members who also went on Victoza, did not follow diet/exercise and or portion control and the drug only made them feel worse and had no effects. I personally found Victoza a great tool in combo with portion/diet/exercise to truly be the answer I'd been waiting for! Worth a try if you are serious..."

McG Type 2 October 17, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been a type 2 diabetic for 10 yrs now. I tried victoza in may 2016. As of today, Sept. 24th I have lost 45 pounds, I'm down to 1 metformin a day and my A1C is great!! The side effects are minimal. Mainly sour stomach but that can be controlled mostly by diet. Low starch foods help alot. I'm so glad after trying a few newer meds that I found victoza!!!"

Brandy t (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was warned of the nausea but after a few days that did slow down I find eating smaller meals and taking some ginger gravol pills help its the non drowsy kind ..am surprised how fast it started working cause I tested myself last night and hit a seven like haven't seen a seven in ages it agrees with me. not had those other symptoms just the nausea for a bit I take the ginger gravol or drink a ginger beer and am good usually"

fosia momma September 5, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried metformin & other oral meds but none could control my fasting levels & met forming makes me very nauseous. Endo suggested Victoza. Gave me samples to test. Lost about 10lbs in the first 1-2 weeks of using it. No obvious side effects, initially. Sugar levels seemed to normalize & I had a complete loss of appetite. All seemed well. The samples ran out & I went for a period not using it while I awaited an endo follow up. I could see the difference in my blood sugar levels when I stopped. However, after getting back on it the weight loss did not continue. The longer I use it the less it works. Now experiencing shortness of breath. Seeing a cardiologist tomorrow. Side effects I've experienced are constipation, extreme fatigue, shortn"

Dcpublicist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 1, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started with .6 about 6 months ago. Nausea, dizziness, heartburn and loss of appetite. Not pleasant . Blood sugars did not seem to improve - questioned if stress due to symptoms was counteracting each other. (Stress raises glucose). Decided to give the drug it's best shot so after two week increased the dosing to maximum. (1.8). Slowly symptoms subsided and post meal glucose came down. Down substantially. Fasting still remains around 130 to 140 but that also is improved. Post meal about 140 if I eat a proper diet. While I would have preferred a greater reduction in numbers the drug is beneficial. Side effects are now all gone. I'm 64."

Bobsenior (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2016