User Reviews for Victoza

Learn more about Victoza.

Victoza Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"I have been taking Victoza since February of 2017. At first I had nausea and constipation. I upped dose to 1.2 and was really feeling bad. When I went up to 1.8 it was continually making me feel sick. My doctor told me to go back to 1.2. After a week on the 1.2 things started getting better. I still have the nausea but it is only sometimes. The constipation I solved by taking a stool softener. I feel full after eating about a 4th of what I used to. Sometimes just the thought of food makes me feel queasy. The best thing is the weight loss. I started out weighing 323 lbs. I went to the doctor today and my weight is down to 280. It feels so good to lose weight without feeling hungry. A1-c number went down from 9.3 to 6.6."

Laniey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on 1 April 17 and so far NO weight loss, my glucose readings gone UP not down, I have this full feeling all the time which I can't bear and feel generally 'not myself' . This evening I've had severe palpitations for about 3 hours with a horrible doom and gloom feeling, I have no pain, just flutters, tearful, impending doom feeling. I have just taken a reading and my glucose is 25mmol/L which is higher than it was BEFORE I started on Viktoza. It's not for me. I was doing better and feeling better just taking Sitagliptin. Going to ring my doctor tomorrow."

Grace53 May 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started this last night. I have zero appetite. How is this possible? I love food, but I don't really feel like eating. All I've had today is some grapes. I have a sandwich in my lunchbox, but I don't have any appetite. I haven't had any of the side effects so far. I started with the 1.2 dose. The "pen" is really easy to use compared to my intramuscular testosterone. However, this drug is ridiculously expensive. Even with good insurance, I would have to pay almost $400 a MONTH!!! Fortunately, another serious illness pushed me over my out-of-pocket annual. So, I filled the script for $0. Due to politics I may have no insurance next year. Anyway, so far, so good with Victoza."

IndridCold (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Victoza for a year now. Initially, for about a month I experienced a few side effects - nausea being the most prevalent. Pleased I continued the drug as ALL side effects have gone. The drug certainly has improved my glucose readings. I take my 1.8 injection first thing in the morning when my blood glucose hovers around 160ish. I don't eat for about two hours after the injection when my glucose numbers fall to the 120s. Not a cure but an improvement."

Bobjr52 May 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on victosa for about 7 weeks and have lost over 2 stone on it I feel full all the time and now I'm being increased to 1.8 after 3 months I hope to lose a lot more weight and that my blood sugar will u be a lot less than it currently is"

Emz 1 May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been using victoza steadily since October 2016. I've had no side effects and along with diet my A1C has dropped from 10 to 6.9. I've lost almost 30 pounds as well. My only complaint is that there is waaayyyyyyyy too much left in the pen when it's reached it's last dose. I'm on 1.8mg. This is an expensive Med even with my discount card and my insurance. There needs to be away to get almost all of the med out. Too much is going to waste. I take lantus as well and because of the unit measurement of the drug I'm able to use an insulin syringe to get all of my medications ( that's expensive as well). I hope this issue can be solved eventually. It hurts my heart and pocket to see that medication wasted. Thanks."

Almost satisfied (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Viktoza for a month now, I've not had any nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea ... but also I haven't lost any weight and my blood sugar is the same at 13-15mmol/L before breakfast every morning. My energy levels have dropped and I feel more tired than I did without Viktoza. I'm a lot less hungry so I'm eating less than before but still no weight loss and no drop in blood sugar. Have also had periods of blurred vision and odd sensations in various parts of my body. I'm baffled because it seems to be doing lots for other people almost immediately yet it doesn't appear to be doing anything at all for me even after a month on 1.2 dosage. Any ideas?"

Grace Kirk (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"(2/2) from 0.6 to 1.2 I know my digestive system has slowed way down My doctor prescribed Metonia and Domperidone to counteract these side effects which seems to be working for me I also notice my appetite has continued to be low and I get full very quickly my blood sugar stabilized with 3-4 day after starting the Victoza and despite the side effects I am happy with this medication but hope not to be on it long term as I worry about long term side effects I would recommend this"

Catlover9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on victoza since Feb 15 2017. I have had barely any side effects and have lost 30 lbs. The medicine does not work by its self I take the 1.8 dose and I eat low carb and low sugar. I also have fibromialgia and Hashimotos. I go thru the patient assistance program to get my victoza."

Rosie E (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'd been on Victoza for over a year. I never lost any weight. I didn't really see much of a difference in my A1C's, but kept taking it because my sugars at least weren't going up. My current A1C is 7.2. A couple months ago, I started having major bloating problems, including nausea and occasional vomiting. It progressed to a hospitalization for chest pain (ruled out cardiac) and then to GI who did UGI as well as Gastric Emptying Study and showed Gastroparesis. OMG!! The GI doc said Victoza is notorious for causing this. Thank God my case is reversible because I caught it early enough. Of course no more Victoza for me!!!"

Firecracker. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"my blood sugar was 300 to 400+, last week I got a fast pass to the Hospital because it went up to 500+, my doctor put me now on Victoza and my blood sugar is around the 166, I know is the first week, but yeah, Nausea, Headache, the feeling of fever and pokes on the stomach are there. What I did was instead of the 1.2 doses I'm supposed to be, I started from about .6, hopefully I'll be on 1.2 by next week, . be ready for pregnant side effects, 3/30/2017"

Fernando O March 30, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Victoza for about a month. Started at 0.6mg for the first two weeks and lost about 3 pounds. Increased to 1.2mg after two weeks and have lost an extra 9 pounds for a total of twelve pounds the first month. My main complaint is a little upset stomach and a little diarrhea. But I can handle it for the sake of weight loss. I seriously cannot eat no where near as much as before. I used to be able to eat 6 pieces of a papa John's large pizza in one sitting. Now I can barely eat 2 without the crust. I have waaaaayyyy more energy now. I don't understand how some people are having problems with injection site. I Wash my hands and use alcohol to clean injection site before I give myself the shot."

Kiki83111111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking victoza. A1c down in half. I had sick feelings first month. I lost 50 pounds in 4 months."

Dave2718 March 27, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor suggested victoza. The biggest side effects are constipation and upset stomach. I burp and have gas a lot. My appetite is gone and I can't eat as much. I fill up quickly. I have only lost a few pounds but I am only 17 pounds overweight. I will stick with it. My fasting sugar numbers have been between 100 and 115. I will stick with it."

cinderlast (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Down 14 lbs in 4 weeks. No appetite, waves of nausea from time to time. I vomited the first week with it, and I have had two episodes of diarrhea. I am on 1.8 now for almost a week and am feeling better. This is exactly what I needed to get my eating under control. Love the fact that I'm not hungry and that food does not look or sound appealing to me at all. So now I make myself eat and when I do I'm choosing healthy foods."

Wldhair46 March 19, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor gave me samples of Victoza to take along with metformin. Started on .6 and then increased to 1.2. I have been on it for a little over a month. Don't know if it's working on my a1c numbers as I have not had tests yet. I am having terrible headaches, neck hurts and fatigue all the time. It's making me hungry all the time, have gained 5 pounds. But the worse side effect is welts that are red and itchy at the injection sites. My doctor has told me to stop taking it. Do not recommend!! I was on Trulicity , which was working wonderful, lowered by A1c level from 8.4 to 6.1, but cost is way to high and that's with insurance! so back to the drawing board. :-("

af2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Grandma and grandpa both got very sick while talking this. DO NOT recommend!!!!!!"

HelpingHand8488 February 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of struggling with my weight after developing hypothyroidism my family physician sent me to an endocronologist. After keeping a food diary for a month and tracking my exercise levels my endo studied both the food diary and exercise patterns and completely understood my frustration on why my weight wouldn't budge no matter what I did. He thought why not lets try Victoza and see what happen. At my first 3 month follow up I had dropped 29 pounds, and although the weight is coming off tougher now I will be going in for my 9 month follow up soon and altogether have lost a total of 40 pounds. I highly recommend giving this medication a try if you have struggled with your weight at all."

MJ Elieff February 15, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I absolutely do NOT recommend this medication! I tried it to help with some weight loss along with lowering my blood sugar. I only got through 2 doses. I immediately suffered from nausea and headaches the first day. The second night on victoza, I awoke with severe stomach pain and began throwing up. Throughout the next day I felt miserable. Headaches, achy, low energy, and puking everything I tried to put in my body. I ended up in the ER that night dehydrated. Due to the severe stress on my body, I ended up with ketoacidosis. I spent 3 days in the hospital. It was the worst experience I have ever suffered due to a medication. Please do your research before taking this medication."

Mommy of a Princess (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Victoza today. At only 0.6 mg. I felt so undeniably and utterly unwell that I cannot imagine even trying it for a second day. In summary, severe low blood sugar symptoms, ravenously hungry and I was also prescribe this for weight loss as well as diabetes, headache, no energy, and a general feeling of being very not well. In short I do not recommend this to anyone."

Midsummerlight February 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on victoza 0.6 mg for a week. Was on a flozin before which was wonderful, lost a stone and g ad tons of energy. Then I was forced to go onto victoza. Felt sick with headache since, stomach pain, constipation, always but thirsty. In fact so thirsty I can't sleep, no matter how much water I drink. Sore throat, which puts me off solid food. Hungry all the time but cut down on carbs so can't fill up. Plus, my blood sugar has shot up from 9 to 14 on this rubbish. Wondering whether the higher 1.2 dose would work, but scared of feeling even more ill. The energy I gained on the flozin has gone, I just want to sleep all the time. I am forced to use this as it was prescribed, they said they want to keep me on it 6 months. Can't wait to get back on t,"

Cooljools (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In the beginning stomach aches and loss of appetite but now I've got my eyesight back to normal, no longer thirsty and best of all, I've lost weight, truly a win win situation."

BonnieSantana February 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great Effective Unbelievable"

Alankar sangle (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was hard to get used to the first couple weeks but has been great since..... I give It a 9/10"

laurie-h (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a hard time assigning a numerical rating. On one hand, Victoza seemed like magic in that it lowered my sugars so reliably, and instantly. It almost seemed like validation that I wasn't doing anything "wrong"--my body needed help w/sugar metabolism. That earns a 10. On the other hand, I have to take into account quality of life. NEVER have I been so sick, for so many days consistently/consecutively. I am not a person who gets sick easily. I do not miss work due to illness. I function thru colds,upset stomach,headaches,muscle pain--you name it. Victoza knocked me on my butt. I was sick every day for 3 weeks. All same sx's as everybody else. There are NOT mild. I stopped it b4 I even got to 1.8 dose. Not reasonable. My body said hell no."

Lucy S (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017