User Reviews for Victoza

Victoza Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 171 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Victoza to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Prescribed in Nov 2017. Additionally take 2g of metformin at that time. Titrated up from 0.6 to 1.2. During that time, I lost 30 lbs, and my a1c went down to 5.8 (207 to 187). Initially was taking it in the morning, but it was making me sick at work, so I started to take it after work, so if I was sick I was at home. Mostly no appetite, and nausea, and occasionally a headache. It went away after 3 weeks. Now I am increasing my dosage from 1.2 to 1.8 to see if I can reduce my metformin and lose more weight to reduce my liver enzyme numbers. While it was difficult at times when I first started taking the drug, I'm still excited to see if I will lose additional weight with the increase in dosage. I'm ok with the temporary side effects, because I know they will eventually go away. Additionally being at my lowest weight since 2003 is totally worth it, not to mention better liver enzyme levels and less arthritis pain due to less weight."

Cady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2018

"Been on victoza for almost 3 weeks and recently bumped my dosage to 1.8 per dr's orders. At first I only had minor indigestion, no big deal. Now with the higher dose my whole body hurts. Everything aches and all I want to do is lay in bed due to the pain. Hoping this gets better or I'll either decrease the dosage or get back on my Metformin. This pain is ridiculous."

Alaska1010 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

"I was first sceptical on using it I didn't want to have to stick my self every morning. But my doctor told me that the meds my previous doctor had me on were good but there are better ones. So I figured if it is better for me I want it. So after three weeks I can say that this keeps my sugars level all day as long as I eat correctly. My sugars are not dropping by lunch time and I have lost some weight. I have not had any side effects except for maybe a runny nose here and there but I can deal with it. You have to inject yourself with a very small needle and you do not feel it at all. My insurance covered it so it was not expensive."

Daniel (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

"I’m dealing with daily bad headaches. I keep hoping they will subside, but, they’re not. Been on the Rx now for a week. Anyone else experiencing this? Ugh."

CM (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

"I have been on this medicine 5 weeks. At first 0.6 1st for the week, 1.2 the 2nd week and 1.8 the 3rd week. The first few weeks I was nauseated, weak, just felt yucky. I had bad headache 1 day and really bad diarrhea. I do not have a big appetite eating 1/2 of what I use to eat. Lost 7 lb, I was 201 lb now 194 lb. I do still get bad heartburn but other than that no more stomach issues. I found if I take the medicine at night instead of the morning I get no symptoms other that loss of appetite. This is the best medicine I have been on since I was diagnosed in 2009. For years I was only on pills and over the last few years been on several different meds.. My doctor wanted me to go on Victoza but I could not afford it. So I was on once a week Tanzium (stopped working), Levimir insulin but as soon as my insurance dropped the cost to $80 dollars for 3 months I was able to get off the insulin and start Victoza. I was gaining weight on the insulin but losing weight now on Victoza. I hope I keep losing"

CarolA April 20, 2018

"Just started on Victoza. Have Type 2 diabetes and I am 46kg overweight. Before starting Victoza, I gave up smoking after 50 years and eliminated all sugar and carbs from my diet. In the past I have used Byetta but gave it up because it didn't agree with me. I eliminated all sugar and carbs from my diet and no longer take metformin but test myself after every meal . Taking Victoza will help as I am unable to exercise or walk far so weight loss is hard for me. The side effects do sound bad, but the effects of being obese are far worse - I mean I'd rather vomit or have a headache or whatever than have a heart attack. I met a woman some while ago who had been grossly obese but when I met her she was slender and looked fantastic. I asked her "How did you lose all that weight?" She just smiled at me and said "Because I wanted to." With the Victoza helping with eating and blood tests, my "wanting to" lose the weight has just solidified to "I WILL"."

Ted67 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

"I've been taking the medication for a week now. It has helped with by blood sugar. I've taken metformin, which caused stomach issues and diarrhea and invokamet which really didn't agree with me. I love the medication so far. It controls much appetite and I eat way less. The only side effects I noticed are nausea. The first 2 days I took it I had a lot of energy. I don't have as much energy now, but to much regular self I guess. It also lowered my blood pressure, which is a good thing!!!! I have no real complaints of the drug though."

Jo Lynn April 9, 2018

"This stuff at 1.2 dose is pure poison to me. Started 0.6, and my blood sugar (BS) looked a lot better, no side effects. Increased to 0.6 + 5 clicks, appetite decreased, weight loss, even better BS. Asked if I could stay at that dose, was told no, increase to 1.2. Drs goal is to get me off lantus. Three days on 1.2 and I am puking every 2 hours and diarrhea even though I haven't eaten in 2 days. This is my 2nd attempt with victoza. There will not be a 3rd. Nothing in the world is worth feeling this bad. Had to miss work yesterday and can barely stand today. Terrified to drink, as I can't even keep water down. Dr insists my side effects are "rare". Clearly she hasn't read any of the forums or reviews."

Shmoo2u (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

"3 months into Victoza and still working very well for me. I slowly went up to 1.8 for a month but found that I had to snack in early morning hours because of low blood readings so I backed off to 1.2. I took several days to drop down so not sudden change for my system. At 1.2 morning readings have me between 88-92. I am still losing weight @ 1 to 2 lbs. week. Have lost 26 lbs in 2 1/2 months and my appetite is okay and I don’t crave foods not good for me and I SEE my food portions much different and smaller. This is a wonderful drug but I have had to learn how to get it to work best for me."

Marsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

"It's a dirty shame to sell something that cost this much. And a really bad shame to sell something that you have to then also buy the needle to use each time. Really when you buy a car you do get wheels and tires. So you can drive it. Getting the medicine in a box only to get home and have to go back to get the needles to take your medicine is so silly. This will be the only time I use this medicine. You need to get it together. A very upset customer"

Dog April 6, 2018

"I have been prescribed this for twice a week. I will be getting it in a couple days. My doctor said for the first week I should eat about half of what I normally do to help combat the nausea. She also said it should help with weight loss. Currently I am taking metformin 500mg a day & she is talking about adding lisinopril to my regimen"

missy moo-moo (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

"I've been on Victoza for about about 2 months and been a diabetic for over 20 years. I take 2 oral diabetes medication and Victoza is a miracle drug I lost ten pounds in two weeks !!! My A1c always been 10 and 11. I can’t wait to go to the doctor, I was sick for a whole week couldn’t get out of bed after the first week of doses at 1.8 in the early morning !! But now 1.2 in the evening no sickness and I can eat a little instead of not eating at all I don’t exercise because of my work schedule but I’m eating better"

Ladawn99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

"Starting taking Victoza about a month ago. Started at 0.6 with no side effects. Moved to 1.2 a week later. Felt fine for initial couple days then had several days of feeling nauseous much of the day and the bad burps. Subsided after several days, but did delay the next bump up to 1.8 for a few days. Been on 1.8 about a week and generally feeling pretty good. Significant decreases in blood sugar levels (from 300 to 130). Have lost about 5 pounds. On Victoza, heavier, greasier food is not appealing. Accordingly, eating much healthier. Note: When I bumped up to the 1.8, I had about a week I was having difficulty reading computer screen/phone screen. Based on other input on the blog, this apparently was related to sudden drop in blood sugar levels. Vision is significantly improved the last few days. Not quite normal, but close. Very much appreciate all of the input from this site! Thanks everyone!!"

CaliGal April 4, 2018

"In addition to typical experience of mild stomach cramps, nausea, and the mid-morning diarrhea rash, gave me severe anxiety and feeling of panic with chest tightness. Discontinued use after a week of that."

tzachyb (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Hi all, I started on 0.6mg for a week. Extreme nausea on day one but relieved with Ginger capsules. The rest of that week the side effects weren’t bad. Then I upped the dose to 1.2mg and the nausea and heartburn we’re unbearable. Stopped after second week. Took a two day break and started back o. The.6mg dose. Will eventually try to increase but not double. I’ll go up a click at a time to test my tolerance. I do not need insulin yet and my doctor thought it would help me lose weight and bring down my A1C. I’m so hopeful that it’ll work. I do not have an appetite at all on the low dose, but am tolerating it again so far. No weight lose yet and am hoping it will work on the lower dose if I’m unable to increase it."

Hopeful (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

"I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes six years ago. Started on Metformin and it did not agree. Then on Januvia for 5 years and thought I would be a cripple from it. Dr. Put me on Victoza in January on 1.2 dose daily. I was 268 lbs., 66 year old woman, 5'4" tall. Since then I am down to 240 lbs. as of 2 months using this drug. 14 lbs. per month. Lately I am losing slowly, l/2 lb. per week recently and don't know if this will continue. My appetite is decreased and I do not crave sweets. I have a slight headache occasionally but found it was from eating a few pieces of jerky which I did not realize was loaded with sugar! I am now aware of what I eat and will be careful with my food intake. I think this drug is wonderful."

CarolFlorida (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

"I started victoza one month ago to bring my A1c and blood sugar levels down for my type 2 diabetes. In the beginning I started the low dose of 0.6 and then went up to 1.6. My physician advised me to stay on the 1.6 because my blood sugar levels started to become normal when I checked my sugars twice a day. So far the time I've taken victoza I noticed I felt severely dizzy and light headed. I called emergency ambulance and they checked my sugar and blood pressure. My blood pressure was extremely low 98/52 because of the victoza. I explained all this to my physician and agreed that victoza was the cause of my low blood pressure. I had to stop victoza. I don't recommend victoza for those who already have low blood pressure or normal blood pressure because your blood pressure can become too low on victoza. Talk to your doctor about all side effects before starting victoza to eliminate the risks rather than benefits."

Eboney (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

"Hi so this review is based on my dad’s experience with Victoza. Definitely a drug that takes adjusting to. My dad’s A1C was at a level where we feared for his life, levels around 15-19 and he would not tell us but I knew he was not doing well and took him to a specialist. Dr suggested Victoza and we started adjusting it as directed. By the time he got at 1.8 the symptoms were unbearable. Sick, nausea no appetite. We decided to bring it down to 1.2. He was still feeling slight discomfort and I told him to take it right before bed. This change has made his quality of life 100% better! He’s so happy and feeling better than he has in years! He’s only been on it for 2 months and A1C is down around 6-7. We are afraid of the long term side effects and will ask Dr since this drug is supposed to help your body promote insulin, first, can he lower it even more and how long is he expected to be on this drug. So far great experience but we are proceeding with caution and testing regular."

Daddy’s Girl March 17, 2018

"I was on this awhile back and then got off it. Now I'm trying it again due to insurance reasons. I injected myself at 1.2 in the morning. By early afternoon I had explosive vomit. Everything I had eaten in weeks flew out. I could not keep sips of water down.I t seemed like every two hours I would be back in the bathroom. It's now 1am and I have a headache and I'm feeling awful. Scared to death to drink anything. But my throat is burning. I don't remember it being this bad last time I took Victoza. I did lose weight tho. Wonder why? Why do these side effects have to be so strong? Byetta was okay - nothing like this at all."

Hadit (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

"I have been taking victoza for about 3 months now. I started on the 0.6 dose and increased until the 1.8 dose. I am very pleased that my A1C went from 11 down to 7, but I am now experiencing some pretty horrible side effects. I have now been diagnosed with gastroparesis, having horrible stomach pains, awful tasting belching and no appetite. Nausea is constantly present and now taking three more medications to help ease the effects. (Carafate, Bentyle, Zofran). I have read many reviews and think I will try to decrease the dose to see if the side effects will lessen. I don't want to give up too soon as my sugar level has went from 390's to low 100."

Misserable Momma (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2018

"My 1 year adventure. Feb 2017 started. 330 pounds. 50 years old. On metformin 2000mg dose. Just started Jardiance. At 1.2 felt tired and digestive issues. Made it to 1.8. First 3 month check was down 25 pounds, blood sugars in good range still with tired and digestive side effects. Second 3 month no change and decided to up it to 3.0 to see if weigh might come off and reduce metformin . Third 3 month check no change other than digestive issues worse decided to go back to 1.8 and started intermittent fasting. The one year check up, and no change. No change to weigh or blood sugar levels or anything else. Putting away the needle and off of this I go. I just wonder what the withdrawal effects are?? The digestive issues ranged from normal once a day bowel movement to 3 times a day to once every 3 days with constipation and diarrhea on the same day. Good luck everyone on your journey."

traffic dad (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2018

"Three weeks into victoza and drug is working very well for me. Started at .06 and had to take nap during the day but adjusted after a few days. No desire for food and eat very little but knew I had to eat to stay healthy. Take in the morning and readings 89-100. Second week went to 1.2 but that was too strong for me so went three clicks past .06 for several days and slowly got up to 1.2 by the end of the second week. My levels are so good I have stayed on 1.2 and may never go to 1.8. The day I started victoza the drug rep was in my doctors office and she told me a lot of people never get to 1.8. I have lost weight and generally feel good. Still a nap in afternoon could be drug or could be my age 74 3/4."

Marsie February 14, 2018

"Been on it for 3 weeks. No side effects. BG is fantastic. Loosing weight as well."

TheMerovingian (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

"Started the drug enthusiastically! Found the indigestion and lethargy difficult to deal with. Did the 0.6 dosage for the two weeks and then upped to 1.2 and found the same symptoms to be more intense, so stopped drug. Been reading the blog and think I will give it a try again but I will just stay at the lower dose for longer and up the dose gradually. I really had not been on it long enough to know how therapeutic it is for my blood sugar. Will let you know how it goes...."

Tangelino (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

"Was prescribed Victroza after Onglyza failed to work. Dr said start at 0.6 for two weeks. Decided to use half that a few days to test for allergic reaction. Thank God I started lower than prescribed. I feel sort of dizzy and off balance, nauseous, headache. 0.6 is the starting dose. That is 10 clicks on pen dial. 5 clicks (0.3) knocked me off my feet. I went down to 2 clicks. (0.15) to start. Did OK. Then a week later up to 4 clicks (0.25). Doing O K. Slight headache. It takes about a week to get use to each level. I think lowering blood sugar may be as responsible for feeling bad as medicine. When I started the first time blood glucose went from 200 to 80 in the morning. Too fast to lower it. I recommend you take shot in evening after work so you can be sick all evening and feel ok by morning. Needles ( prescribed separately not in box) very fine. Injecting medicine actually hurts less than testing blood sugar."

Nosugartonite February 4, 2018