Generic name: LIRAGLUTIDE 6mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 16, 2018.
Important Administration Instructions
- Inspect visually prior to each injection. Only use if solution is clear, colorless, and contains no particles.
- Inject VICTOZA subcutaneously in the abdomen, thigh or upper arm. No dose adjustment is needed if changing the injection site and/or timing.
- When using VICTOZA with insulin, administer as separate injections. Never mix.
- It is acceptable to inject VICTOZA and insulin in the same body region but the injections should not be adjacent to each other.
General Dosing and Administration
- Inject VICTOZA subcutaneously once-daily at any time of day, independently of meals.
- Initiate VICTOZA with a dose of 0.6 mg per day for one week. The 0.6 mg dose is a starting dose intended to reduce gastrointestinal symptoms during initial titration, and is not effective for glycemic control. After one week at 0.6 mg per day, the dose should be increased to 1.2 mg. If the 1.2 mg dose does not result in acceptable glycemic control, the dose can be increased to 1.8 mg. If a dose is missed, resume the once-daily regimen as prescribed with the next scheduled dose. Do not administer an extra dose or increase in dose to make up for the missed dose.
- If more than 3 days have elapsed since the last VICTOZA dose, reinitiate VICTOZA at 0.6 mg to mitigate any gastrointestinal symptoms associated with reinitiation of treatment. Upon reinitiation, VICTOZA should be titrated at the discretion of the prescriber.
Concomitant Use with an Insulin Secretagogue (e.g., Sulfonylurea) or with Insulin
When initiating VICTOZA, consider reducing the dose of concomitantly administered insulin secretagogues (such as sulfonylureas) to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4) and Adverse Reactions (6)].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Victoza (liraglutide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 599 Reviews
- Drug class: incretin mimetics
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: Saxenda