User Reviews for Basaglar

Diabetes, Type 1
2.3

Summary of Basaglar reviews 2.9 19 reviews

Reviews for Basaglar

For Diabetes, Type 1 "My insurance Company switched me to Basalgar--and my blood sugar (BS) readings went up. I increased the dosage from 30 units of Lantus to 40 units of Basalgar, and now my BS is where it should be. I have no idea why my insurance company switched me--maybe some insurance clerks found a way to save some money!"

Normano (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1 "Endo was trying to help us save $ and said this tier 1 medication was cheaper than Levemir, which is tier 2, and should be the same thing. It's NOT! Blood sugar levels (BSL) had previously been 140-160 in the morning with Levemir. The only thing we changed was I started taking Basaglar at night. BSL is now 250-290 in the morning. It takes all day to come back down, and I'm having to take higher doses of Novalog during the day to control my BSL. This medication is terrible! It should be taken off the market immediately."

Bradynsmom (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Insurance switched me from lantus to basigular and A1C went from 7.2 to 8.5 in 2 months. I noticed spikes in BSL right away. Working on getting lantus back"

Jodyann (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Don't buy this and waste your money and/or Medicare benefits. Get a sample first. I injected 40 units at 9 pm first night. By 9:30 my eyes were swelled shut and my throat was swelling shut. Called an ambulance and was treated for anaphylactic shock. Released the next day with a red/black/blue welt at the injection site & a handful of Tresiba samples. (Which was what I had used prior to insurance trying to save a buck) Tossed all the Basalgar samples out except the one I used in case the FDA should want it after I filed my MedWatch report. A horrid drug, was obviously rushed pass the FDA with under table hand shakes. Shame on them. Two days later still shaky with an unending headache!"

Lehigh2000 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I also was on Lantus and my readings were good. But my insurance company is making me use cheaper basaglar and I also get muscle pain a little and my readings are higher. I was in the 90's to 130 with Lantus, but with the basaglar, I am in the 250 range or a little lower. It starts low in the morning and gradually get higher, and it also fluctuates and it does not last the 24 hours. If it lasts 8 hours it is a surprised. Thinking of telling FDA."

rmod (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Insurance switched me from Lantus to Basaglar and my numbers have been super unpredictable. I was improving on Lantus (down from 50 units a day to 10 units), readings averaging 140 and A1C down to 6.5. With Basaglar, my readings are averaging at 190 with highs of 270! I’m hoping my Endo will take me off this on the next visit."

Heather (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My doctor prescribed Lantus, but as we all know - what the doctor prescribes is merely a suggestion as far as the insurance company is concerned... so I was placed in Basaglar. Instructions were to increase dosage gradually until my glucose levels were down. Note that I was taking Victoza which was no longer working yet I still had some key side effects dealing with digestive issues. My glucose is down at 40 units per day and just a small dose of Victoza. However I have no energy, just plain out of steam. Also I have a strong appetite and have gained weight - yet don't have the energy to exercise. Frustrating! Sure my glucose is down, but so it my energy! I see my doctor in a week and hope we make a major change."

AlanM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1 "..replying to already in use. I used up the last of my lantus amd my blood sugar levels were in my drs range. I took my 1st injection of basaglar and ate normally, next morning my BSL were over 300 and I was was like what! I took my humalog and tested every 2/3 hrs..my BSL went down and took my basaglar again and ate normally like I would, no big meals..BSL went down after taking more humalog and the next morning again my BSL were around 300. Again tested every 2/3 hrs and went after 3 days I called my Dr with my BSL now waiting to hear back. I tried to figure out if my meter or my insulin was bad. I've had bad vials of insulin, so when the pharmacist says you cant get bad vials they're so wrong. Now I'm having same problems with my new insulin. I'm hoping they call tomorrow and either get me back on lantus or up basaglar. I got new pens so Im gonna try them tomorrow. I think basaglar just isn't working for me. I'm thinking basaglar isn't for TID..anyone else having the same problems?"

t1dat17yrsold (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "For some reason this formula seems to work better for me than Lantus did. Not sure why because they are allegedly the same thing. However, I never actually experienced anything like a "low" with Lantus. In fact, it seems to me that Lantus just didn't do much for me at all in terms of lowering blood sugar. Makes no sense unless maybe Lantus really needs to be refrigerated the whole time. The Basaglar pen is easier for me to use because it is just smoother during the injection process for me."

Lauren February 27, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1 "Completely ineffective"

Roli (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1 "My insurance made me switch from Lantus to Basaglar just because Basaglar was a measly 15% cheaper. It did not work for me AT ALL. I don't understand how this drug was ever approved for Type 1 Diabetes. My blood sugar readings went from being predictable into a complete tailspin. I tried to control it with my fast-acting insulin (Novolog) and not even that worked! Complete nightmare. I contacted my doctor's office with blood sugar readings and they put in an emergency authorization request for my Lantus. The only reason I didn't have to go to the hospital or end up in DKA was Lantus. Bottom line: if you are a type 1, try it at your own risk and make sure you still have some of your old long-acting insulin for backup just in case."

NicknameAlreadyInUse February 7, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started this medication 2 weeks ago with my levels in the high 300's. Today it is down to 160. I also take 2000 mg Metformin daily. So far I have had no problems."

BASICALLY (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1 "I was on Basaglar for 6 months because of my insurance no longer covering lantus. I had extreme anxiety, nightmares and most scary was the fast heart rate. I am only 37 and have never had a heart problem or had shortness of breath like I did on this horrid medicine. I've been off for about 3 weeks, my heart rate has slowed somewhat but my doctor is now sending me for an EKG. I seriously hope it didn't cause any permanent damage, dealing with type one diabetes is enough! I am getting a TAR to go back on lantus. Please report side effects to the FDA as I did, to get this medicine pulled. Also had red dots where I injected and it did burn. Absolutely scary stuff."

Aimstar01 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I began taking Lantus about 6 months ago, because the Metformin and Actos was no longer helping my glucose levels. About 6 weeks ago, I began taking Basaglar, because my insurance will no longer cover Lantus. At the same time I began Basaglar, my muscles and joints began hurting severely, and I wasn't able to do much other than exist. My doc sent me to physical therapy. No relief. I read somewhere that Basaglar can cause muscular and joint pain, so I decided to stop taking it temporarily, 48 hours later, I am pain free."

KVolz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1 "I've been type 1 diabetic for over 50 years. I've seen lots of changes, most of them an improvement. However, Basaglar is NOT an improvement over Lantus for me. It is supposed to be Bio "Similar" (whatever that means) but my experience has not been a good one. Basaglar is unpredictable and has caused me much stress and anxiety because my blood sugar is all over the place and my insurance company has given me no choice. My last Hemoglobin A1c was 7.2 on Lantus. I'm going for blood work today. We'll see. A1c may be decent but my quality of life is not. Constant hypo glycemia at night and adjusting dosage ends up with high BS. I feel terrible!"

Good Diabetic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I was switched by my insurance to Basaglar before then I was on lantus with blood sugar readings of 140-170 on average ever since the switch I've been reading at 230 or higher. My eating habits have not changed, fasting between meals and small snack before bed I've also changed the injection site to no improvement"

Torito October 5, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1 "My insurance made me switch from Lantus. I am still trying to gauge how closely 1 unit of basaglar = 1 unit of Lantus, but I have other issues with the pen. For one thing the numbers are really hard to read. Lantus numbers were very dark and easy to see. I also don't like the silence with injection. It clicked on Lantus and I could hear it was going in. The worst thing is that with the start of every new pen it hiccups and then engages so I don't get a full dose. I will start pushing out some of the insulin first and then start over from now on."

RoccoMama (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I too am having a difficult time trying to figure out dosage. For example I take the same dose every night: Wednesday night I have some cheese, sausage and 1/4 cup pretzels my morning sugar level was 158. Last night I had a huge bowl of ice cream, morning sugar 90. WTH!! This stuff also burns while injecting. I absolutely hate it."

Rose D August 11, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1 "Moved from levemir to basaglar as my insurance "Discovery Medical Aid" won't cover levemir. Been using basaglar for about 3 weeks now. It's been horrible so far. It appears to peak after 10 hours so that made it unpredictable given how they say it should work. I halved the dose to counter the hypo's but now sugars are higher than usual any other time. I feel out of focus and dizzy. My chest feels "fluish". I am considering going back to levemir and paying the large copayment."

KennedyM July 14, 2017