User Reviews for Basaglar

Diabetes, Type 1
1.9

Reviews for Basaglar

Ladybird123456 · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “As soon as I switched to this formula my highs and lows were so erratic. I had lows then over 300 constantly. Stop telling us what insulins we can use based on price. This Basaglar stuff is garbage. I literally just tossed out 2 vials and opened a Lantas”

CTRozek · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I am a type 1 diabetic who was taking Lantus for years with an average A1C of 6.8 to 7.4. Insurance switched me to Levemir which faded after 20 hours and increased my A1C to the high sevens. Then tried Basaglar in spite of all the bad reviews it got. Well don't believe everything you read! This stuff is even better than Lantus! My A1C dropped from 7.9 to 7.3 the last 3 months which still included about 1 month that I had still been taking Levemir. I feel great! Thank you Lilly!”

Quirky · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “As with other patients, the insurance company forced me to use Basaglar in lieu of lantus, side effects are dangerous. Started having sleepless nights the painful swollen legs and body aches. Called my dr and he has switched me to treseba. My question is why does the insurance company risk our lives to save a few dollars, when the are boasting about making money every year? This is a horrible Medication.”

Cursed · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I agree with the vast majority of reviews here and elsewhere--Basaglar is garbage. It doesn't work at all! Before being switched I was waking up to levels between 80 to 135. Even with drastic increases in dosage, my levels are in the 300's and never come down, even while fasting. This garbage is a placebo--sugar water. Worthless and dangerous to use. God only knows what kind of damage it's causing diabetics!”

AEB September 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on Lantus which worked beautifully for me. Like others, I was switched to Basaglar (not my doing). The issue I am having is that my appetite seems to have doubled. In a matter of two months I went from 188lb to 201lb. I know my diet as a diabetic is a delicate one. I have had no other changes in my meds whatsoever. This has occurred since I started this insulin. I hate it!!! Am I the only one that experienced this issue?”

Nita May 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I was on Lantus for about 8 year's and was forced to take Basaglar due to insurance issues. Since the swap to Basaglar I've already had two diabetic seizures in the last few weeks due to my blood sugar dropping to the 30's in the morning, yes...my blood sugar was 32 this morning, I cover carbs with novolog but stopped covering my evening food and before bedtime snacks so it wouldn't drop and it still did. I lowered the dose time after time and ate a ton of carbs before bed and I still almost died, however it doesn't lower my sugar later in the day I have to cover my meals with twice the fast acting as I normally would. They need a lawsuit formed against them for making this stuff.”

Bob August 16, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have had "Type 2 Diabetes" for 20 years. Was on Lantus for most of that time. Blood sugars were so well controlled I was able to stop Lantus for weeks and stay on oral medications (not Metformin but Pioglitzone and Sitaglyptin). My insurance switched me to Basaglar. At first it seemed OK. However, in 24 hrs my sugar jumped from under 200 mg% to over 500 mg%. Reading the other patient reports and considering my own experience, I would say it is highly likely that the batches of Basaglar vary in potency. Note that in the online report on this insulin, https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cadth.ca%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fcdr%2Fseb%2FSE0451_Basaglar_SEB_Report.pdf vital information has been redacted. So, you can't view the reports on its purity or stability. This was a money saving gambit by the manufacturer. As an M.D. with 30 years of treating diabetes, I think this insulin is unreliable.”

Baronvonsteve · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My insurance forced the switch from Lantus, which I have been taking for years, to Basaglar. I started to develop skin sensitivity, rash, and my sugar became hard to control. I also started having heart and breathing problems. The Basaglar also seems to deliver its payload rapidly several hours after injection causing hard to control highs and lows. I was able to get a card from Sanofi for discounted Lantus. Things are improving but I feel think I have a ways to go to undo the damage done by the Basaglar.”

Uncle D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Well...Those fools at my Insurance company have decided they know more than my Doctors about Medicating my Diabetes type 2..They Refused my Lantus script after 5 successful years of controlling my A1C..Insurance denied my Doctors pre-approval request 2 times? Basaglar was their replacement drug of choice sooo here we go.So far about 1 year now and as of today NO Bad Side Effects. My A1Cs are about the same as before and everything appears to be Fine? (Knock on Wood) I have had a Heart Attack recently and required 4 stents to get me up again on my feet. My Cardio team has reviewed my med list and do not think it has any relation to my using Basaglar as opposed to Lantus.I place my trust in my team and will continue to use Basaglar until I am advised against it by my doctors ,have a reaction to it or my insurance decides there is a cheaper alternative? God Help us All who lives are governed by the Decisions of a bunch of Insurance underwriters as apposed to the knowledge of our Doctors?”

L.Mark October 21, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I had to change from lantus to basaglar due to insurance company changing pier status of lantus I am very concerned due to the inaccuracy of the basaglar kwikpen. Some times it gives the correct amount I have dialled in, more often it is lowering the amount I have dialled in. My morning blood sugar is fluctuating greatly because of this. If you are using this kwikpen be aware it may not be administering the correct dose. I feel there should be an investigation on the quality of pen.”

Rick · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on metformin for about 25 years and additional pill meds to supplement for a long time. Dr recently switched me to Basaglar a little over a month ago. Started at 15 units and have increased to 30. No change. Fasting sugars remain in the 250-280 range and mid 300’s two hours after meals. And this is while also taking 1000 MG of Metformin a day. Not happy with this.”

Magic · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This stuff is terrible! Its hard to use, hard to inject, inaccurate dosing, burns at injection site. Control isn't good either. I hate this and want to go back to Levemir ! Its all about insurance companies and money, not whats best for patients!”

illinoistype2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on both Lantus and now Basaglar and with Lantus alone it controlled my BGL well. With Basaglar I have barely improved my A1C with it and now need Novolog at big meal to even keep my A1C below 8.0. It seems like Basaglar doesn’t do anything to level out the smaller spikes as Lantus did. I have tried different injection sites and nothing helps. I could probably inject saline solution and get better results. The FDA needs to re-evaluate Basaglar because it’s not close to being as effective as Lantus.”

Diabetic scam victim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 13, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I was put on basaglar by my insurance company who was refusing to pay for Lantus. I have never been sicker in my life! I take so much more short-acting insulin all day long and wake up in the 2 to 300 range everyday. This has to be at placebo! It's being forced on us because it is cheaper but how much cheaper could it be if it is not working!”

Anniek · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Basaglar for at least 6 mths and it was just ok. Now I have terrible heart issues and breathing problems. Will not take this any longer. Someone needs to check into these problems and make sure this drug is safe!!”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was on Toujeo for years, which worked very well. My insurance dropped Toujeo in favor of Basalglar to reduce costs. For me, it’s much less effective. Morning blood glucose is 20-30 points higher; night is 40-50 points higher even with a 10 unit dosage increase. Basalglar is also 3x dilute, so it requires at least 3x injection volume increase. The injection pens seem to require more force which causes me to bend needles when I inject in kidney fat pads (can’t inject in belly anymore). I don’t like Basalglar.”

kpalmer62 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Worst experience of my life! I've always maintained a A1c of 6.5 -7.2 on Lantus and using the Wal-Mart 70/30 but my insurance quit paying for my Lantus so I was switched to Basaglar and now I've had the worst A1c levels of 12.0 and 13.1 just this past week after 6 months! I been on to my insurance and finally they are paying for portion for my lantus Seems I'm not the only one”

Cyndy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I took Lantus prior to Basaglar which was chemically "similar". Within days my blood glucose was out of control. Priorly, my HbA1c was 6.2 My glucose level rose from a norm of 109-179 to 154-228. Basaglar did NOT last a full 24 hours. Around hour 10 it seemed to wear off, causing elevated blood glucose levels. I developed a nagging, dry cough, swollen legs & upper abdomen. My doctor applied for a medical exception with my insurer and CVS to return to Lantus. I have to pay a higher co-pay (Basaglar copay's $30 & Lantus is $50 for a 3 week supply. To get a full month's supply I would have had to pay double that amount) The dry cough has not gone away. Neither has the swelling in my upper abdomen. My blood glucose levels are lower but are no longer under good control as before Basaglar. Very unhappy with the outcome. I filed a complaint with the FDA.”

Maddy August 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “This med Basaglar is nothing like Lantus. My 12 year old Granddaughter was forced to switch from Lantus to Basaglar 8 months ago. The insurance will not pay for Lantus that she had been using for previous 2 years. Within a week of using we knew this medication was not working and was causing her side effects. Her Day time glucose levels were very high. We had to double her short acting insulin. At night time her levels are dropping to 40 every few hours. The pen injector malfunctions frequently, jams, and I am convinced dispenses incorrect amount of units. I have to wake her up & load her with carbs to get her levels back up 2-4 times each night. If it were not for her Dexcom G6 alarm I honestly think she would die in her sleep. She has headaches, abdominal pain, back pain, and leg cramps daily. She has respiratory issues every since starting the med.”

tonyalaro · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “With lantus my glucose was controlled, then Dr. gave me basaglar kwickpen and the problems started. I find that the pen doesn't delivers the amount that I have selected. Normally I use 40 units of lantus, with this kwickpen pen, I selected 40 units and the pen delivers different amounts, sometimes is 35 u. others 37 u. so my glucose went up, then I decided mark in the pen 44 u. so I compensated the amount that the pen delivers, then my glucose was to low, because the amount that delivers was 49 u. since then my A1C went up . I'm going to see my Dr. in 2 weeks and I know she is going to nag me because my A1C and it's the exactitude with the pen is compromised. If you are about to switch to this brand careful cause doesn't work properly.”

Basaglar Sucks April 8, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I was taking Lantus for years without any problems or side effects. Then the insurance company forced me to switch to Basaglar. As soon as I started taking it, it was making me sick with flu-like symptoms. I stopped taking it for a few days to see if it was the insulin that was causing it, and it was. The symptoms went away as soon as I stopped taking Basaglar, and then when I started taking it again, the symptoms came back. Basaglar IS TRASH. Pharmaceutical and insurance companies try to tell you that Basaglar is pretty much the same thing as Lantus, but that's NOT TRUE.”

Catwoman · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Basaglar for about 6 months. I have used other types of Insulin in the past. I find the pen hard to push when I am administering my insulin. I have a pen right now that is defective. I cannot push it to distribute the insulin. It seems "stiff" to turn to number of units I need. I ended up using a new pen. I went to my pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist and he said he could not replace pen that I needed to contact company.”

Jersey Girl · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My insurance company changed from Toujeo to Basaglar last year. The pen does not give a consistent dosage and there are also many air bubbles in the pen. Also the pen does not glide easily. My A1C is not consistent. Next Dr appointment I am going to speak to him about increasing dosage. I have complained to him about this pen. I also spoke to my pharmacist and he told me there are other complaints about Basaglar.”

Scofield · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I would say, I have experienced the same as many here.... I was on Lantus, very expensive insurance carrier forced me to take a cheaper drug to enhance their profit margin and not only forced me to buy from their “preferred provider CVS Caremark, but also switch to Basaglar. Since switching my sugar has dramatically increased, especially in the morning for fasting blood sugar. This has forced me to increase my dosage, which doesn’t always work. I just got new insurance and I sure as heck am getting back on Lantus!”

Keenanskid · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started taking Basaglar two months ago. I had a massive headache for two weeks straight although my sugar went from 250 to 152 while using 12u. Then after the first two weeks, my headache went away but my sugar went way back up to the 300s. Went back to the doc and as per their instructions I increased the insulin by 5u every 3 days. At first there was no change. However when I got to 20u the persistent headaches started again, my vision blurred, I started to shake, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I had to leave work early 2 days in a row because I couldn't cope. No pain meds even Hydrocodone would help. After reading these reviews and experiencing this myself, I'm not taking this drug.”

qwerty January 14, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Recently switched from Levemir to Basaglar with a new job & new insurance. Like everyone else -- I have NO idea how this insulin was approved for T1D use. Seriously baffled. I have the Dexcom G6 CGM, so I'm painfully aware of just how bad it is. Every day I wake up & watch my sugar climb to 250 while fasting. I desperately shoot Novolog well into the late afternoon until I finally reach the some normalcy. Even still I can't eat a salad with four and a half croutons without my sugar climbing to 300, even with dosing well in advance. This is really blowing my mind, I'm pretty sure it's just water. If I don't get Levemir back the only way I can see myself staying out of DKA is a practically no carb diet. I'm just out here screaming into the void...”

TJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was taking lantus pen and blood sugar was under 100, I was feeling good. Since my insurance forced me to start using Basaglar pen my blood sugar shot up to over 400 sometimes 526 and I can't get it below 300. Nothing else changed but the insulin.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I've been on Basaglar for exactly 1 week now. Before I was taking Toujeo. In this one week alone I've been hospitalized for DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) and now I am experiencing facial swelling and hives. Yesterday I woke up with my blood sugar (BS) at 114 and decided to fast for most of the day to see if that would help keep me stable. Over the full 24 hours I ate 2 apples and a little bit of quinoa. Before bed my BS was at 524, which is much higher than it was when I went in for DKA. This stuff is not working, its breaking me out, and it is making me fear for my life. Today is Christmas and I am considering not eating at all because I do not wish to go into a coma. Thanks Basaglar. I'm so frustrated right now I have to fight to get my old meds back.”