User Reviews for Levemir

5.5
Diabetes, Type 1

Reviews for Levemir

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I took Levemir for a few days and my sugar was off-the-charts up near 500 I got off of it for a while and it went back to somewhat normal and I thought I would try it again and it went right back up so I'm not taking it no more beware”

Anonymous March 18, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have been using this product for a couple years. It is a great product when you can get it to work but the pen freezes. For the $ 200 I pay per pen it should work so this product is aggravating me. I have 4 pens now that won't work.”

sleepy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “since I started to use Levemir, I inject 38 in the morning around 7 o' clock daily. My sugar is about 300-400 every day, Around 7 hours I get tired an sleepy. Before I used to take Metformin and didn't get tired and sleepy. Since I used Levemir my sugar levels never changed and I'm waiting for my doctor's appointment to change another kind of insulin.”

Anonymous August 6, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been using Levemir for about 2 years. As stated above I have noticed a need for an increased amount. I started at 16 units and now up to 25. My Endocrinologist placed me on Glucophage, Actos, and Glyburide in the last week. I have noticed that my readings have been consistent throughout the day but sometimes runs as low as 74. May have to adjust the amount of insulin. Doctor said it may take a few months for the Actos to kick in. If you don't have an endocrinologist and you are diabetic you need to get one.”

andre · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have only using it for no more than a months and it does work on me. But the only thing I don't like is that many times especially the last time, when I am injected myself the Levemir Pen don't work well. I press it like your suppose to but it doesn't work & it takes time, so I have to wait 'til the pen decides to release the insulin & keep on pressing. Once it reaches the Zero I release my finger pull out the pen & the insulin shoots out some insulin which should have gone into me. Maybe it never gave me any insulin & now that the needle its out it shoots the insulin onto my belly and realized I am wasting the insulin. ”

Bono June 16, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Levemir for approximately 2 years and have found it be quite effective. However, I've also noticed that over time the dosage has had to steadily increase in order to achieve optimum blood glucose levels.”

Anonymous July 24, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been using Levemir for seven years now and find it to be a very user friendly, but as commented above I have found that a steady increase in dosage is needed to keep the effectiveness of the medicine.”

Feather · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My diabetes was controlled with Lantus, which kept my blood sugar A1c between 6.8-7.4 generally. My health insurance prescribed Levemir. Since then, I've gained weight, blood sugars now 330-440 range. 100-140 was normal before. My eye ached this morning. I had been warned by my eye doctor that high blood sugars could blind me, causing blood vessels to burst behind my retina. Yep, another 330. Levemir is fake insulin, at least for me. Was this developed for Type 1? It isn't much cheaper, so the insurance company game is, favor certain companies for friendly deals, rather than good medicine. I'm angry because I only recently received sight after both eyes had cataracts for years. Losing it at 75 years of age is too hard to bear.”

JamesRC · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Before starting Levemir, I was on Janumet, Glipizide, and Invokana. The Invokana triggered a rapid (over a 3 month period) weight loss from 138 pounds down to 115 pounds. I felt miserable. Thirsty, cotton mouth, constant urination, leakage, etc. My glucose went up from around 130 to an average of 240. My doctor took me off Invokana and started me on Levemir. The results were astounding!! Within a week, my fasting glucose was down to 100 and my weight started to increase. After 2 months, my weight is at 131.. All of the dehydration symptoms are gone!! I can't wait to see what A1C level a month from now (3 months on Levemir) I now feel physically and MENTALLY much better.”

SuperBubbe · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 20, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have tried using this twice (it is the only thing ICH offers) and it has been worse than being on no medication at all. Both excessive glucose levels & dangerous hypoglycemic episodes. Looking for alternatives. Dosage required is double of what I used with Lantus.”

Safety guy February 11, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was put on it last year. I inadvertently missed a couple of doses and my blood sugar actually went down in the morning all but once. The exercise works, oral medications work, vitamins work (a little), levemir really does not appear effective. I also upped the dosage and my fasting bs went up by 20-30 points with a 4 unit increase. Depending on the next A1C reading I may start decreasing my dose to see what will happen.”

Nick · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I had been using Lantus for 10+ years along with Novolog to cover my carb intake. Everything worked great, A1C always below 7. Insurance this year no longer covered Lantus and switched me to Levimir with unacceptable results. I've been struggling to keep my levels below 150 between meals with no success. I have to add 2-4 units of Humalog with meals to try to get within range and many times have to take an additional injection of Humalog to bring down high readings. I started out with 20 units of Levimir (the same as with Lantus)... I'm now up to 25 units with no change. My doctor tried to get a prior authorization for me to still get Lantus, but now Insurance says I must try Basaglar before they will even consider it. Really disgusted with my insurance carrier, they preach wellness yet they won't let people use what works for them.”

frank7968 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 3, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I went on levemir once I found out that lantus was made by the same company that make abortion pills. The first thing I noticed is that there is no sting. It took a good 3 weeks for it to start working, but once it starts working, it's the best basal you can get. Lantus used to sting so bad it wasn't funny. Now with Levemir, it never ever stings, I don't even feel it going in. I have also lost over 20 lbs while not changing my eating habits since I've been on this. I went on tresiba for a couple weeks last winter, I was the first in the state, I had the most horrible adverse reaction, I had a cold that was the worst cold known in the history of man. But it was not a cold, I went back to levemir and in 48 hours the cold cured”

romeo524 February 19, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been using Levemir for about 4 years 20 & 20 units twice a day but lately I had to increase to 20/20/20 & when my sugar goes over 160 I will use fast acting Novolog 10-20 units but now I will be trying Bydureon to see if it helps me control my blood sugar.”

Lojack53 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 7, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on Lent's and Novalog for 10 years then my Dr switch me to Ivokana, Levimer and Victory. The Ivokana made me throw my guts up, lose my vision on and off, blood sugar levels spiked to 400 or more, always dehydrated and several other symptoms. I stop taking it. The Levimer makes me have several bowel movements daily and I lost 15 lbs but I didn't want to lose weight I only weigh 140. I have lost all my muscle and still craving sugar. I quit taking the Victoza because I was sugar spikes were over 300. These medications killing me. They all have me craving sugar, diarrhea and even have me depressed. I only take Metformin pills 4 500 milligrams a day. ”

Botsey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 14, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Did not know your insulin could make you dizzy lethargic tired joints aching back hurting and conditions mentioned by these patients. Levemir may not be for me. I switched because I thought it would be cheaper than lantus. Was surprised it's costs are also horrific. I may see my doctor to go back on lantus. ”

mhami · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've only been on Levemir, 12 units for about a week and I feel like I'm going to die. I take it at 9 everynight, yet my blood sugar first thing in the morning was still 154. We try and keep it under 140. Before it was usually under 200. My last A1C was 7.2 I'm so tired, very weak, can only walk for 10 yards without stopping to rest. My heart pounds too. I called my endo doc and he now wants to supplement it with Novolog, to control meal spikes. Now I'm afraid to take it because it may make me feel even worse. I've been so careful with what I eat and have lost 7 pounds, but I feel like garbage. Any ideas, anyone?? Have I just not been on Levemir long enough for my body to adapt?”

nor- khan June 12, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been using this insulin for 2 years, my fasting reads are over 200. I feel tired, muscle and joint pain. I use it along with novorapid, and no effectiveness what so ever. My doctor is certain that this is the right one for me.”

Smarty · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “When I started levemir my numbers were higher than they ever were! 300 to 400 at nite, after injecting 150 units the next day it was only down to 135? Tried it for a couple of months and had my Doctor put me back on Lantus! My numbers dropped dramatically on the first dose of 90 units!”

Soundweaver · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on Levemire and Novolog for several years, excelent controll with A1C's from 5.9 to the high 6.+ hardly ever out of the 6.something range. However, I was recently switched to Toujeo, now my blood levels are anywhere from 80 to nearly 300 (fasting) A1C was recently 7.3, waiting for lab results to see what level my A1C is now. Been on the Toujeo for about 4 months now, thought maybe it would take some time to start working, obviously, different brands work differently for different people just from reading the above remarks...”

Goldie Locks July 25, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “As a type 1, I have usually been on a pump for the last 10 years but recently with employment changes and insurance covering certain brands. I switched off the pump for a bit (until my deductible is met, etc) and onto injections. I am on Humalog (and levemir, because insurance doesn't cover novolog or lantus. but no big deal, i did my research and learned that Humalog takes approximately 5 minutes longer to kick in and that levemir lasts up to 18 hours. with this knowledge, i was able to adjust my insulin intake and split my levemir doses. At first i was taking it once in the A.M. with 20 U and that would kick in about noon or close to. the problem was that i woke up in the a.m. with high's like 300+. i would take all the Humalog and Levemir needed and sugars would struggle until about noon to go down. then, I decided to experiment a little by taking 8-10 Units of Levemir at night (depending on level of sugars) and this really seemed to help a lot.”

Bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic with an average BSL averaging 200-250 in 2017 and put on 40 units Levemir at 0600 hrs daily. Now BSL fasting averaging 95-105. Biggest health issue was finding Synthroid and the other Lab made cholesterol drugs play havoc with my system. Once on Armour Thyroid all my blood numbers moved to where they belong and I have lost 60 pounds with another 60-70 to go. I am a type 2 diabetic and have to watch what I eat and how much I eat or my BSL climes fast. I now use the Levemir to assist my body's insulin production. Below 100 I don't take it. Above 100 I use on a sliding scale to 40 units (if BSL 15 take 15 units, if BSL 131 take 31 units). I love the convenience of the pen and the ability to very depending on my bodies need in the morning.”

Ousu1122 January 15, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been taking Levemir for a few months now. I started with 10 units and every three days. I would speak with the diabetic nurse to discuss my fasting BS #’s and we would increase 3 units until my fasting #’s improved. I use Metformin 1000mg (twice daily), Januvia 100mg (mornings with breakfast), and Levemir 35 units (every 24hrs in the mornings before I leave for work) Before July 2018 I was only taking 1000mg metformin twice daily; I went to the doctor and my blood sugar level was over 300. In July I started taking Januvia and Levemir along with the metformin and I do feel the difference and also see the difference in my numbers. My A1c in July was 12.4 and 10.1 in November. I’m due to go back now and can’t wait to see how much lower my A1c has gotten. My only side effect has been constipation and I take Miralax daily. The only warning I would give is to take the medication as early as possible, I’ve noticed that if I wait too late in the day to take it, I suffer from low BS's.”

kimmed51 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Levemir is a long acting basal insulin which I used for only two months. I tried it with the hope it would give better blood sugar control. It did not. I started with 10 units twice a day along with three units of Novolir R whenever my blood sugar (BS) was over 140. The period for Levemir for me was about 18 hours so I was double dosing for several hours a day causing severe hypoglycemia about 2-3 days per week. Eventually I adjusted it to a dosage of 15 units every 18 hours along with three units of Novolin R as needed. I discovered my A1C after two months went up so I went back to Novolin N five units every eight hours and Novolin R three units with meals and my A1C went back down. Cost was $290 per bottle which lasted 50 days. Medicare and Medicaid covered all except $3 copay. Caution: If you take Levemir twice a day your doses are stacking and you are in danger of severe hypoglycemia since the insulin lasts about 18 hours.”

Jake · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 11, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was prescribed Lantus in 2014, my insurance changed it to Basaglar a few years later. With both of those my A1C average was under 8. My insurance changed my prescription to Levemir in April 2020 and my last 2 test results were 11.0 in June and 11.1 in November. My eating habits haven't changed nor has my exercise. My doctor increased my dosage by 50% and my daily numbers are still HIGH. If it isn't that the Levemir is not working its a weird coincidence.”

Dmau49 February 18, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been using Levemir for 3 1/2 weeks. My fasting blood sugar went from 208 to 123 and I have lost 9 lbs. It is very easy to use. Feel better than I have in over a year!”

1st Time January 13, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've just started using Levemir Flextouch. I only use it at bedtime. Morning. sugars are 278 or higher. I'm up to 60 units so I'm concerned.”

type2 April 21, 2009

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Since I've been using Levermir, I found it to be very rewarding to my cause.”