User Reviews for Levemir to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Levemir Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Levemir

Smarty · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2020

“When I started levemir my numbers were higher than they ever were! 300 to 400 at nite, after injecting 150 units the next day it was only down to 135? Tried it for a couple of months and had my Doctor put me back on Lantus! My numbers dropped dramatically on the first dose of 90 units!”

Bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2020

“I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic with an average BSL averaging 200-250 in 2017 and put on 40 units Levemir at 0600 hrs daily. Now BSL fasting averaging 95-105. Biggest health issue was finding Synthroid and the other Lab made cholesterol drugs play havoc with my system. Once on Armour Thyroid all my blood numbers moved to where they belong and I have lost 60 pounds with another 60-70 to go. I am a type 2 diabetic and have to watch what I eat and how much I eat or my BSL climes fast. I now use the Levemir to assist my body's insulin production. Below 100 I don't take it. Above 100 I use on a sliding scale to 40 units (if BSL 15 take 15 units, if BSL 131 take 31 units). I love the convenience of the pen and the ability to very depending on my bodies need in the morning.”

andre · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

“I have only using it for no more than a months and it does work on me. But the only thing I don't like is that many times especially the last time, when I am injected myself the Levemir Pen don't work well. I press it like your suppose to but it doesn't work & it takes time, so I have to wait 'til the pen decides to release the insulin & keep on pressing. Once it reaches the Zero I release my finger pull out the pen & the insulin shoots out some insulin which should have gone into me. Maybe it never gave me any insulin & now that the needle its out it shoots the insulin onto my belly and realized I am wasting the insulin. ”

Ousu1122 January 15, 2019

“Been taking Levemir for a few months now. I started with 10 units and every three days. I would speak with the diabetic nurse to discuss my fasting BS #’s and we would increase 3 units until my fasting #’s improved. I use Metformin 1000mg (twice daily), Januvia 100mg (mornings with breakfast), and Levemir 35 units (every 24hrs in the mornings before I leave for work) Before July 2018 I was only taking 1000mg metformin twice daily; I went to the doctor and my blood sugar level was over 300. In July I started taking Januvia and Levemir along with the metformin and I do feel the difference and also see the difference in my numbers. My A1c in July was 12.4 and 10.1 in November. I’m due to go back now and can’t wait to see how much lower my A1c has gotten. My only side effect has been constipation and I take Miralax daily. The only warning I would give is to take the medication as early as possible, I’ve noticed that if I wait too late in the day to take it, I suffer from low BS's.”

Feather · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2018

“My diabetes was controlled with Lantus, which kept my blood sugar A1c between 6.8-7.4 generally. My health insurance prescribed Levemir. Since then, I've gained weight, blood sugars now 330-440 range. 100-140 was normal before. My eye ached this morning. I had been warned by my eye doctor that high blood sugars could blind me, causing blood vessels to burst behind my retina. Yep, another 330. Levemir is fake insulin, at least for me. Was this developed for Type 1? It isn't much cheaper, so the insurance company game is, favor certain companies for friendly deals, rather than good medicine. I'm angry because I only recently received sight after both eyes had cataracts for years. Losing it at 75 years of age is too hard to bear.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2018

“weight gain, diarrhea”

Safety guy February 11, 2018

“I was put on it last year. I inadvertently missed a couple of doses and my blood sugar actually went down in the morning all but once. The exercise works, oral medications work, vitamins work (a little), levemir really does not appear effective. I also upped the dosage and my fasting bs went up by 20-30 points with a 4 unit increase. Depending on the next A1C reading I may start decreasing my dose to see what will happen.”

Botsey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 14, 2017

“Did not know your insulin could make you dizzy lethargic tired joints aching back hurting and conditions mentioned by these patients. Levemir may not be for me. I switched because I thought it would be cheaper than lantus. Was surprised it's costs are also horrific. I may see my doctor to go back on lantus. ”

Rik emmit · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2017

“I take 50 units a day and it doesn't work very well for me...”

mhami · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2017

“I've only been on Levemir, 12 units for about a week and I feel like I'm going to die. I take it at 9 everynight, yet my blood sugar first thing in the morning was still 154. We try and keep it under 140. Before it was usually under 200. My last A1C was 7.2 I'm so tired, very weak, can only walk for 10 yards without stopping to rest. My heart pounds too. I called my endo doc and he now wants to supplement it with Novolog, to control meal spikes. Now I'm afraid to take it because it may make me feel even worse. I've been so careful with what I eat and have lost 7 pounds, but I feel like garbage. Any ideas, anyone?? Have I just not been on Levemir long enough for my body to adapt?”

Lojack53 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 7, 2017

“I was on Lent's and Novalog for 10 years then my Dr switch me to Ivokana, Levimer and Victory. The Ivokana made me throw my guts up, lose my vision on and off, blood sugar levels spiked to 400 or more, always dehydrated and several other symptoms. I stop taking it. The Levimer makes me have several bowel movements daily and I lost 15 lbs but I didn't want to lose weight I only weigh 140. I have lost all my muscle and still craving sugar. I quit taking the Victoza because I was sugar spikes were over 300. These medications killing me. They all have me craving sugar, diarrhea and even have me depressed. I only take Metformin pills 4 500 milligrams a day. ”

Soundweaver · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2016

“I was on Levemire and Novolog for several years, excelent controll with A1C's from 5.9 to the high 6.+ hardly ever out of the 6.something range. However, I was recently switched to Toujeo, now my blood levels are anywhere from 80 to nearly 300 (fasting) A1C was recently 7.3, waiting for lab results to see what level my A1C is now. Been on the Toujeo for about 4 months now, thought maybe it would take some time to start working, obviously, different brands work differently for different people just from reading the above remarks...”

SuperBubbe · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 20, 2016

“I have tried using this twice (it is the only thing ICH offers) and it has been worse than being on no medication at all. Both excessive glucose levels & dangerous hypoglycemic episodes. Looking for alternatives. Dosage required is double of what I used with Lantus.”

nor- khan June 12, 2016

“I have been using this insulin for 2 years, my fasting reads are over 200. I feel tired, muscle and joint pain. I use it along with novorapid, and no effectiveness what so ever. My doctor is certain that this is the right one for me.”

maureen0905 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2016

“Very bad joint pain and neuropathy after two weeks”

Catzz April 26, 2016

“Levermir caused gas build up.”

JamesRC · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2016

“Before starting Levemir, I was on Janumet, Glipizide, and Invokana. The Invokana triggered a rapid (over a 3 month period) weight loss from 138 pounds down to 115 pounds. I felt miserable. Thirsty, cotton mouth, constant urination, leakage, etc. My glucose went up from around 130 to an average of 240. My doctor took me off Invokana and started me on Levemir. The results were astounding!! Within a week, my fasting glucose was down to 100 and my weight started to increase. After 2 months, my weight is at 131.. All of the dehydration symptoms are gone!! I can't wait to see what A1C level a month from now (3 months on Levemir) I now feel physically and MENTALLY much better.”

1st Time January 13, 2016

“I've just started using Levemir Flextouch. I only use it at bedtime. Morning. sugars are 278 or higher. I'm up to 60 units so I'm concerned.”

LtDan107 June 4, 2013

“Has really helped me control my blood sugars.”

romeo524 February 19, 2013

“I have been using Levemir for about 4 years 20 & 20 units twice a day but lately I had to increase to 20/20/20 & when my sugar goes over 160 I will use fast acting Novolog 10-20 units but now I will be trying Bydureon to see if it helps me control my blood sugar.”

Dmau49 February 18, 2011

“I have been using Levemir for 3 1/2 weeks. My fasting blood sugar went from 208 to 123 and I have lost 9 lbs. It is very easy to use. Feel better than I have in over a year!”

furretz August 9, 2010

“Insulin is the BEST way to control your blood glucose! ”

Anonymous August 6, 2010

“I've been using Levemir for about 2 years. As stated above I have noticed a need for an increased amount. I started at 16 units and now up to 25. My Endocrinologist placed me on Glucophage, Actos, and Glyburide in the last week. I have noticed that my readings have been consistent throughout the day but sometimes runs as low as 74. May have to adjust the amount of insulin. Doctor said it may take a few months for the Actos to kick in. If you don't have an endocrinologist and you are diabetic you need to get one.”

Anonymous July 24, 2010

“I have been using Levemir for seven years now and find it to be a very user friendly, but as commented above I have found that a steady increase in dosage is needed to keep the effectiveness of the medicine.”

Bono June 16, 2009

“I've been on Levemir for approximately 2 years and have found it be quite effective. However, I've also noticed that over time the dosage has had to steadily increase in order to achieve optimum blood glucose levels.”