User Reviews for Tresiba

Tresiba has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 124 ratings on Drugs.com. 29% of those users who reviewed Tresiba reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 1
8.8
Summary of Tresiba reviews 4.3 124 reviews

Reviews for Tresiba

Poland Girl May 7, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Hello. I'm from Poland. I took Tresiba in October 2019 my sugars were not too bad. But my sense of well-being was terrible. I had shortness of breath, headache and dizziness, stomach pain on the right side, fatigue, sadness. After 2 months I returned to Levemir. In April 2020, I started to feel terrible, it turned out that I now have celiac disease and histamine intolerance. My doctor looked at me as if I was crazy as I told him that I felt terrible after tresiba. I have the impression that Tresiba led to celiac disease.”

Jovie · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This is the second day on this insulin. Woke up and my stomach was bloated, lump in my throat and lethargic with flu like symptoms. Waiting on a call back from my doctor.”

Grambo April 1, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Been a diabetic type 1 for 22 years. Been on lispro my whole life with average a1c of 6.8. My endocrinologist has recommended tresiba and novo instead. So far I'm finding it to be great for stabilization on blood sugars and I've been exercising and working construction so far I'm loving it.”

CJAERO · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started Tresiba 7 days ago after nearly 20 years on Lantus and it has been nightmarish. Had to have a COVID-19 test to rule it out but I'm sure it is linked to Tresiba getting into my system properly. My blood sugars were totally out of control for 3 days. On day 4 my sugars stabilised but headaches and crushing fatigue started. The headaches occur for 5 hours from late morning/lunchtime then disappear in the evening. By day 5 I could barely get out of bed with exhaustion and then the indigestion, reflux and coughing started. Day 6 nausea and diarrhoea and stomach pains and today terrible stomach pains all day, constant indigestion, shivering and flu like symptoms. Sugars are largely stable but regularly have random spikes even when haven't eaten. Has anybody else had such a weird, horrible experience with Tresiba?”

jsc February 4, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My Endo who is a PA not even a MD. Prescribed Tresiba to me, I took the Triseba for about 2 weeks. I noticed I was getting headaches every day, dry mouth, constant thirst, stomach cramps, IBS symptoms such as bloating and the runs and slightly blurred vision. Well the other day I went into see the PA / endo guy, I told him I quit taking the Tresiba and that I re started taking my Lantus. 2 x a day... OMG he got so angry and upset that he up and walked out of the room when I was talking to him during mid sentence. He actually said If you aren't going to do things " MY WAY" then there is no use for you to see me. Thats right. I am going to look around this week for a new Endo. That kind of attitude is highly un professional..... I explained to him that I was not going to take a medication that causes me painful side affects . No I'll Never take Tresiba again....”

mo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started taking Tresiba 2 months ago. Since then I have gained almost 15 lbs. I'm always tired, and I have respiratory problems. I seem to be sweating (arm pits) a lot. I don't think this drug is good at all. I'm hoping that my doctor can prescribe something else. I cannot wait to see him in a couple of weeks. Anyone else is unhappy?”

Mason · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started Tresiba last year. Managed my blood sugars okay, brought my A1C down to the normal range. But the side effects were awful. Vision problems, like TV static over everything. I've since learned this is called "visual snow", and in my case, it's nearly debilitating. I need help getting around now. Saw my eye doctor, they can do nothing to help. I was also hallucinating, and on top of it all, gained thirty pounds in a couple of months. I've never had a medication do this much damage. My doctor had no explanation for any of this. He had guaranteed this would make me feel better, but it has made me so much worse. Even after I stopped taking it, I have not recovered. Going back to metformin and hoping for the best. Horrible medication. Would not recommend it to anyone. How was this thing ever approved?”

Jewels · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “This insulin Tresiba made me feel like I was constantly sick. I gained weight quickly, had heart palpitations, no energy, muscle weakness to the point I couldn't walk more than a few feet. Always tired - I would fall asleep at 8pm and wake up tired at 7:30am. Felt like I was injecting poison into my body. I became depressed because my body hurt so bad. My stomach hurt and it was bloated. If it wasn't for others posting their symptoms I probably wouldn't have related all my symptoms to my insulin. I've been diabetic I for over 50 years. As soon as I stopped, it took me 2 days to feel like my old self again. I will never take this medication EVER again.”

Joe December 21, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Since starting this insulin about two years ago I've been to the ER at least 4 times with severe stomach pain. Had CAT scans. Full work up and they couldn't find anything wrong. Never had these issues before I started taking this medication. Going to switch to a different insulin. Bad insulin. AVOID”

Mama Bear · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Before Tresiba I was taking 2000 mgs Metformin daily and Trulicity injections weekly. My A1C was consistently 9+. I am currently on Tresiba 10 units daily (started 1/15/2019) along with the 2000 mgs of Metformin and off the Trulicity. My numbers are now consistently under 200. I have lost weight and am feeling MUCH better. Can't wait to see what my A1C is!”

patriciap · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Tresiba about a week and haven't really seen a drastic change in blood sugar but mostly I just feel awful since I started taking it. I felt so tired I started taking my blood pressure and several mornings it was under 110 over 65 but yesterday morning it was 187 / 85. Last night I didn't take it and I feel much better today. Anyone else have these kind of problems? The pharmacist says it's usually well tolerated but leave it to me I'm so medicine sensitive.”

Michael · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I don't normally write reviews I am type 1 diabetic and I was on lantus, and then I got put on tresiba. I was so worried cos I have anxiety and read these reviews and you lot made me nervous about taking it. I couldn't get through to my diabetic nurse before taking and anyway it's alright. I had a few side effects that lasted 2 days blurry vision and felt a bit sick, but that's it and now it's best thing I have done I like how it gives you freedom on when you can take it and not having to take it same time every day. Honestly if your on here scared.. DON'T BE. Reading these comments will make you worse :) smile and breath and you'll be fine..”

Lori · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started on tresiba and started off immediately by headache then dry scratchy throat then runny nose which ended up with respiratory infection. I have Cystic Fibrosis so cannot take anything that can lower my immunity so I stopped it and switched to something else. I only started taking tresiba because Insurance no longer covered my old medication. Along with that I gained 7 pounds in six days. After being off tresiba for 2 days the weight is gone and I’m feeling better. Don’t use if you have respiratory issues.”

IslaMyLove · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I am in my 30s and have been a type 1 diabetic for 14 years. I have been using Lantus for +10 years, recently my Endo suggested I try Tresiba. The first few days my glucose levels kept spiking overnight to 19+, it took about a week to figure out dosing (which turned out to the same as Lantus, not less). I was exhausted for the first few days. This insulin does work well, if you miss a meal you will without doubt have a sugar low. After about 2 months, my findings are that I often had a nauseous, car-sick feeling, stomach pain and cramps in upper abdomen were common, almost a water on the brain/plugged ear feeling. It was time to get more Tresiba but I decided to just use lantus that I still had left. I would say immediately the next day after switching back to Lantus I felt normal again. The stomach pain is gone, I don’t feel dizzy or nauseous, my sugars have been stable and easy to control. Be all end all, Tresiba is worth a trial, but it was not for me.”

Jano · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Ever since Tresiba I get constant headaches. My sugar levels rise terribly in the night. I been waking up with higher levels than before bed, even after a carbless snack. Sometimes I have a very light carb and protein and my levels are terrible. I get up in the night 2-3 times to goto the loo. That is unusual for me with or without carbs. My results were better with levemer .I am stuck for about a month till I see my doctor.”

Ariman · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “In the beginning this Tresiba insulin was a miracle. It came with stable glucose levels but after a couple of years . I became aware about its side effects. Notice that I had a constant flu like symptom, the bolus insulin didn't kick in as it did before, it was like Russian roulette. Tried Lantus in November and there is no doubt that Tresiba has some nasty side effects beside the flu. Lethargy, depression, water retention, itchy skin, and a feeling of a lump in the throat. Tried it again this last week and all these side effects came back within two days. The flu like symptoms kicks in about 3 hours after injection. Regret I tried it, because after some years off the Lantus it seems the body has developed anti bodies and the Lantus now have some side effects as well. Will get off this medicine tomorrow and try Lantus again and hopefully the depression and flu-like symptoms will subside again.”

chief Broady October 27, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My experience with Tresiba has been outstanding. After getting the type 2 diagnosis this year I was started on Lantus twice a day. After 3 months ac1 went from above 11 to 5.8 no lie. Got switched to Tresiba which was very difficult to get through insurance and now am at once a day steady 5.5-5.7. Once a day is great no burn on injection and I feel as normal as normal can be. My end dr. felt their was a lot more protective properties with tresiba and like the long lasting affects. My wife just got switched to a low dose and her numbers are coming down as well. Fantastic product.”

PetiteType1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “This insulin is horrible. I've been a type 1, diagnosed as an adult, for 10 years. I was told, as many it seems, this is the best new insulin...I just try it. I've been trying it now for months. My sugars are sky high, sky high during the day, lows in middle of the night. How is this a flat, stable insulin. I too just unbearable tired, like I'm on sleeping pills or something, and nauseous too since starting this. I don't know if it's because my BG's are so messed up from this insulin or if it's the insulin. I've tried it, titrated dose. I'm very tiny and use very little insulin, only about 6 units basal per day. But this stuff, dry mouth, more weight loss but I too got really swollen ankles, feeling very tight. It's the worst insulin I've ever tried. I don't believe the positive comments are from real patients...I believe they're fake from Tresiba Reps. This is horrible stuff..worst BG control ever and I have A1C's typically in the 6's. since on this gone up to 8s.”

KK · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 12, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Worst A1C I’ve ever had with this insulin. Started at 34 units of Toujeo and am now only taking 14 units of Tresiba and still experiencing issues. I’ve been experiencing nighttime drops where I give myself only 1 unit of rapid for 50+ carbs at dinner and my blood sugar falls all night. I’ll go to bed at a very high 20 and wake up 8, so I don’t feel safe going to bed when I’m NOT high. And then during the day my blood sugar rises like crazy and it’s like my fast acting doesn’t work at all during lunch. I’ve also never felt sicker. Have had stomach issues, bloating and cramping and pain that’s made me cry. I got an ultrasound done but they found nothing wrong, but after reading these reviews I’m wondering if it’s the Tresiba, since all these problems started only when I’ve been on it. I’ve had shortness of breath and chest pain and have felt so weak I couldn’t make it across the room. I’m honestly miserable on this insulin.”

kronikpainz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I feel like it has fewer side effects and better job at lowering my blood sugar than Levemir did and only having to inject once daily. With Levemir I was on 65 units twice daily and with Tresiba only 70 units once daily. The number one problem is I've gained 25 pounds quickly on Tresiba which was similar to the Levemir.”

loz · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have type 2 diabetes and take 1000mg of slow release metformin. My DSN decided to start me on 10 units of Tresiba as by HBA1C had gone up to 7.5 and for the 8 days I was taking tresiba I felt like I had no control of my body , I had constant headaches, flu like symptoms including severe tiredness, itching , breathlessness , anxiety , ear congestion, my blood sugar levels were all over the place. Definitely not the medication for me, will be speaking to my DSN to see my other options. .”

Krames01 February 8, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Started this drug Tresiba a couple of weeks ago and it’s been a horrible experience. I noticed my vision became blurry, I felt like I had the flu. I experienced chills, hot flashes, I felt real light headed. My sugars were stable through out the day so that was great. But then all through the night starting at about 2am, my sugars would just plummet. Needless to say I haven’t much sleep and probably gained a few pounds trying to keep that sugar up. My doctor swears it doesn’t peak but I’m not so sure about that. I kept lowering my dose but they would still fall around the same time at night, and my day sugars became more elevated. I felt plain awful on this drug and it needs to go back to the drawing board. Very bad formulary. I switched back to my levemir and feel much better. I’m disappointed because it supposed to be a dream Insulin but it was nothing short of a nightmare. My doctor suggested I switch to Tojeao but feel apprehensive.”

Rob November 30, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “The Tresiba is Horrible stuff. Will stick in your system and bounce your sugar levels to the extremes. Very volatile. Surges with constant low sugars then shoot up then bottom out again. The advantage of taking one shot reminisces by having to check your sugar level every hour. Whatever you do don’t take it at night if you don’t want to wake up in the hospital.”

Buster52 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Have been on Tresiba for 8 months and experienced weight gain, leg cramps and a kind of hopeless lethargy. Have also developed lichen sclerosis and parathyroid problems since starting. My diabetes team has been extremely resistant to me returning to lantus which I was using before and insisted that tresiba does not cause any problems. I have now taken the initiative to return to lantus on my own and I actually feel ‘clear’ again. I’m very disappointed in my health professionals in this case. I have been type 1 for 45 years.”

Keenan · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Started taking this a few months ago, took a couple weeks for it to start working. I take novolog for meals. Taking my novolog with this has been wildly inconsistent. I used to take Levemir/Lantus and it never affected my rapid acting insulin like this does. It almost feels like it’s time released because sometimes it doesn’t do anything and sometimes it does too much. Had an episode when I had to eat and drink orange juice for 2 hours waiting for my sugar to go back up after a low.”

Pawel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “After 5 months of Tresiba using with good results, the situation change dramatically. The glucose levels start to have slowly growing trend, particularly in the periods of nights and before noons where usually Tresiba should be highly active. Additionally, my blood pressure was unusual terrible, up to 170/100. I had never before such pressures. My normal pressures were around 120/70. Moreover, long time terrible stomachache. I decided to return to old Lantus. Just the first day after this change, the glucose levels, blood pressure and my stomach return to the norm. I am aware that these are individual reactions. However in the case of such or similar problems, remember - this is horrible side effect of Tresiba.”

chestnutter · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “TResiba worked in the beginning but doesn't work anymore I take 56 units a night, and for example last night I had a half of a sweet potato with butter and my sugar when I woke up was 200 there is no rhyme or reason for how the medicine reacts. I have never relied on it to lower my A1C it is already at 6.1. I use it to lower my sugar at night but clearly that is not working anymore, I had no side effects from the drug at all. To top it off my new insurance will not cover it, maybe that is a blessing in disguise.”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “My new doctor put me on Tresiba about a month ago (I was previously on Lantus) because she said it is the most stable long acting insulin. I have had T1D (type 1 diabetes) for over 4 years now and NEVER have I had so much trouble with my blood sugars. I have very good control (A1Cs range from 5.4-6.1, average blood sugar around 115-120 mg/dL), and while on this insulin my average was 148 mg/dL. I woke up low every morning, I'd lower the dose, then wake up high every morning. I started dreading meals because I knew I would have either an extreme low or extreme high afterward. I lost so many hours of sleep staying up trying to stabilize my blood sugar. I switched back to Lantus yesterday and already my blood sugars today have been 125 and 103 mg/dL today. So much more stable. Please steer clear of Tresiba. It's absolutely awful.”