User Reviews for Novolog

Novolog has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.1
Diabetes, Type 1
6.1
Summary of Novolog reviews 5.5 19 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Novolog

Painful · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “On bolus regimen (rapid + long acting) since early 2021 and developed painful neuropathy in thighs/legs that is worsening to the point of insomnia. The sharp pains sensations feel like sewing needles. Doctor didn't know the cause, and want to test thyroid which was negative when hospitalized for DKA. It is always best to read package insert from the manufacturer because it contains more detail. I learned all insulin products reduce potassium levels (low K can cause muscle cramps, burning, even death) and rapid glycemic control is "associated with" transitory eye refractive disorder, worsening retinopathy and "acute painful peripheral neuropathy". This has another name: Treatment-Induced Diabetic Neuropathy. I believe PN becomes chronic once it starts as long as you're using Novolog.”

Anonymous August 5, 2011

For Diabetes, Type 2: “After trying several insulin types of medicines which caused severe itching, I was put on Novolog 70/30. At first there were no side effects, then dizziness started to occur and its getting worse, my ankles are starting to swell and I am putting on weight. I'm at my wits end. Novolog is very convenient to use, but unfortunately now I have to go back to doctor and start a new medication and go through trial and error with a new medication which can also be very costly.”

Scallywag February 20, 2010

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Novolog works very well and very fast (3-5) hours in lowering sugar levels but for those w/out insurance be wary Novolog is very expensive, espicially when you have to couple the insulin w/ another slow-acting, such as Lantus. Together these are very effective however.”

MARYMILL · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 17, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I put on A LOT of weight with this novolog insulin. No diet changes, but gained 60 lbs in a year. I was taking 15 units 3x a day. I kept hearing "hang in there". "give it time to adjust to your body." So now, my blood sugars are worse thanks to the extra weight, thanks to Novolg flex pen. I also experienced not urinating enough, & ankle swelling. Probably because this stuff won't let you urinate. Did it lower my blood sugar? Of course! It's insulin. But at the cost of putting on 60 lbs? Not worth it. I finally stopped it even though my idiot doctor disagreed. Yeah, Doc, I'll keep taking it until I can't fit out of my door way. Ridiculous! I worked hard to lose 60 lbs.”

Hets January 9, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “This insulin is terrible. My boyfriend almost died today because he took the normal amount of insulin and it was too much for his body and his sugar dropped to 26. When your sugar is that low it can cause fatal symptoms including passing out, disorientation, memory loss, seizures and even death. My boyfriend ending up an hour away in the middle of nowhere and he was lost. He was passed out and almost died it was lucky his parents found him. SWITCH brands this insulin is too strong and has too many side effects. My bf got lucky today maybe he won’t next time....”

Stitchmama · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 25, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I take a combination of Novolog R and N. It has worked just as well as the High dollar medications that I had taken in the past. I was taking some high dollar medications and always ran through my insurance coverage after 6 months. After moving back to Kansas from Missouri my specialist here changed me to the Novolog regimen which is all out of pocket but cheaper than 6 month of out of coverage for the high dollar medication.”

Scoe · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I assume the Novolog insulin is doing what it is designed to do, my complaint is with the delivery pen!!! It gets stuck and will not plunge thereby leaving the insulin unusable. Humalog has a better pen!!!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started novalog on Friday. Amazing bloodsugar control. However by Monday I was in the er with chest pains and shortness of breath. Hospital said this medicine caused it. Then I look on their site and it says it right on side effect list. Will never take it again!!!!”

5DoxMom · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 29, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Have used Novolog for 9-10 years. I has reasonably helped with controlling my glucose but has caused considerable weight gain. My units are determined by the carbohydrate count per meal - that has been adjusted from a ratio of 10 to a ratio of 7 per unit. A new endocrinologist has suggested Januvia but the side effects sound horrendous. The other 5 oral medications I've tried over a period of years did nothing positive and actually caused too many gastrointestinal problems. Will decide in 3 months, at next appointment.”

Maerlias · Taken for 10 years or more June 18, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I was put on Novolog when I was diagnosed with Type 1 and have loved it ever since. I've never had any negative side effects and when coupled with the Omnipod it is phenomenal for me. It is important to note however that every person's body is different. My doctor recently had me try Humalog to which I had multiple negative side effects. This does not mean one is better than the other, just that for my own body the Novolog happens to be what it accepts and works with best. You should always tell your doctor how ANY medication makes you feel if you experience negative side effects. For me, the Novolog is a gods send and I love it :)”

John IL May 2, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Novolog a month, also using Basaglar 30 units a day and Metformin ER. A1c too high at 9.1 so doctor told me I needed to try short acting insulin. Costs is high one pen as $107 I pay $325 for 5 Basaglar pens. Seems like this disease is making drug companies wealthy. I do see improvement when using the Novolog when I take it at big meal when carb intake higher. Has improved fasting levels. But the cost will prevent me from sticking with it. Insurance pays some I hope but I went off Lantus because of costs. I think Lantus worked better then Basaglar but that's just my own observation and experience. I've tried Januvia, Starlix, Victoza, and none really work consistently even being on a low carb diet. Besides the insulin is affecting my weight in a negative way which can't be good for insulin resistance. After awhile the injected insulin probably also become resistant to cell intake. So then you take more and more. Yeah a expensive band aid for a disease that fights back.”

Dia 2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 7, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Good for lowering blood sugar and quick but the side effects were bad, it caused severe itching and a bad rash running down both of the inside of my legs. Heading in to get it changed to something new.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 17, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Novolog pen does not glide well when giving yourself a shot. The medication worked well for me with minimal side affects. I have been on it for 2 yrs, but my coupon has expired & I cannot afford it now.”

Jjok72 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 15, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “The insulin works but they leak and come apart inside and are HORRIBLE inaccurate because they leak and get air in them be very careful I rarely use them because of problems. A syringe is way more accurate because they don't fall apart get air in them like the other cheap ones”

Agatefairy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Hello, Novolog has worked for me so far. It does increase my appetite though. I got a sample from my doctor's office to begin. I then went to the pharmacy to fill my prescription and found that it costs over $500.00. I did find a discount RX card on Novonordisk´s website, but it states that you, "may pay as little as $25.00." I read the fine print and it states, "reimbursement $100 per prescription." Has anyone here ever used it? I had to find a card so I could afford my Lantus as well. I would just like to know what to expect. If it's $25.00 or only up to $100 per rx of what they cover. I'm newly diagnosed, and I would appreciate any help.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 2, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have used humalog, and novalog. They both work the same for me. Right now I don't have insurance so I get a insulin at Walmart called novalin R. It only cost $27.37 and it works great.”

DiabeticGod · Taken for 10 years or more January 29, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have been a diabetic since I was 9 months old and still continue to use Novalog to this day and have never had any problems with the medication.”

GlenA. February 6, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1: “The medicine works fine, but it is in the absolute worst delivery system ever. I can't imagine an elderly person or someone with arthritis trying to use this pen.”

Gads12 May 17, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Serious allergic reaction, hives and extreme itching.”