User Reviews for Toujeo SoloStar

Toujeo SoloStar has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 41 ratings on Drugs.com. 22% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 57% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.2
Diabetes, Type 1
2.3
Summary of Toujeo SoloStar reviews 4.1 41 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Toujeo SoloStar

Muhammad July 17, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “First day,bloated,nauseated and unwell.”

Wren April 11, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I found this to be great at first, but like viktosa after 4 weeks of using my body reacted to it horribly. I started rotten egg burps which is a build up sulphur dioxide because food was now passing slower through digestive system, this would cause me to vomit rotten smelling food. The other side effect was feeling extremely tired and nauseous, chronic diarrhea which lasted for over a week, which in conjunction with the diarrhea caused a few accidents which was embarrassing at work as it would happen anytime. It made me scared to eat anything, my stomach became bloated within minutes of the injection, this was supposed to be a weekly dose for me. I stopped taking it for 3 weeks ago and all my symptoms went away, I then wanted to be sure this medication was the cause of my issues and I hadn't caught some other virus. So I took it on Thursday 8th April 2021 by Friday afternoon and all over the weekend my symptoms returned making me feel so unwell. So I won't be taking this anymore.”

Am · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 1: “No. Just no. I haven't had the "unpredictable" that others have had. To me, it's very predictable; it doesn't work. And I mean, BGL (blood glucose levels) behaviour as if I had injected water under the skin. Nothing. Needing to wake up every two hours through the night to inject bolus correction, like some kind of human insulin pump. Toujeo, or rather "the glorified water", is a hard no.”

Birdman · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have taken Toujeo for over a year. A1C down 1.5 points. I gained weight the first three months but levelled off. I take 60 units each morning. Also metfomin 2000 mg a day. No bad side effects. Regulates my glucose readings. Very few plus 200. Usually 90-155. I’ll take it. I exercise three days a week but nothing Herculean. My diet is pretty low carb but Toujeo allows for a little cheating. My dose continues to be okay for now. Thought this might encourage a few to give it a try.”

AT · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Toujeo for about 4 yrs now. I am taking 290 units of this insulin and my numbers are still very high. 14-18 is pretty average. I feel I am taking way too much and the more I take the less effective it is becoming.”

Dextor · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “My endo switched me from Lantus to Toujeo about 8 weeks ago. It has been a disaster for me ever since switching. I have extreme highs and lows. I go to bed with blood sugar normal and wake up with it approaching 275 or higher. Occasionally I have a high blood sugar and will take a humalog correction, OFTEN with no effect. I constantly have high blood sugars for most of the day. This did not happen when I was taking Lantus. Now the only times I can have steady blood sugars on Toujeo is when I don’t eat! This is unacceptable! I do agree with some other comments here: Toujeo is a substandard insulin and should be taken off the market IMMEDIATELY! BTW, I am a type1 diabetic since 1977. Toujeo is terrible!!!!”

Stefgib February 9, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking Toujeo for about 3 weeks now. I previously used Lantus. Was able to use a drug card to get Toujeo price really low. But, my sugars have been all over the place. I have had 350 highs and 74 lows, up and down, with no real reason. For example, two nights ago, my bedtime reading was 114 and the next morning, without eating anything, my reading was 353!! No reason. Anyone else having this issue with Toujeo? Will it level out eventually?”

Sugar pie · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “About 1 1/2 weeks into using Toujeo, 50 units at night, I started having rapid heartbeat and constant extra/skipped heartbeats. Dr said Toujeo could NOT cause that. Wore a halter monitor for 3 days. My Dr. asked me if I had always had an "irregular heartbeat." Hello?? No Dr. ever told me that and I never had one. You'd think my Dr. might know that? However, my nutritionist looked it up on her computer and said, "Oh, I'm sorry to tell you this, but irregular heartbeat is one of the most common side effects of Toujeo." I looked it up myself and sure enough...there it was. I stopped on my own...about 3 weeks later heartbeat slowly returned to normal. Toujeo caused??? YES, I think so.”

djricciyahoo.com · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have taken TOUJEO for 1&1/2 years now I have broken out with a rash & itching over my entire body for the past three months. Told my doctor he said that can't happen with insulin. I've been to three doctors all tell me the same. I STOPPED TAKEN TOUJEO The rash is starting to clear but it is slow in clearing. there is nothing that helps. .”

Totally Blue · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 1: “I have been on Toujeo for two weeks and my sugars have been disappointing to say the least! My sugar was 113 @ BT and waking was 260!!! I have to take way too much N to cover my blood sugar during the day/ after meals to makeup for the Toujeo not effectively working! My chest has been hurting from stressing out & my blood sugars have been so unstable with this new insulin. I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TOUJEO FOR ANY TYPE 1 DIABETICS! PLEASE REMOVE FROM SHELF AND SAVE LIVES.”

mother nature July 2, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on toujeo for almost a year. I have chronic health conditions and then got type 2 diabetes. The longer you have it the harder it is to control. I have noticed new things that haven't gone away. One eye is blurry, sometimes both of them. I have convultions in my boby that drive me crazy. It's not fun to have your body jumping around. I have also been having cold sweats, dizziness & headache. I am going to go back to Lantus.It took me awhile to realize these symptoms were not normal to my other illnessess. But I am sure now.”

Honeybee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Blood sugars have never been more off the chart than since I switched to toujeo, going from extreme highs to dangerous lows and going to bed with normal blood sugar and get up with it through the roof. DISASTER”

Attila · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Do NOT use Toujeo SoloStar for diabetes treatment. I have been using this insulin for more than half a year now, and I can say with certainty: Toujeo SoloStar is dangerous. My rating is 2, because using it is still better than dying without insulin(I have type 1 diabetes). Although I do not understand how this product has been approved for use. I have diabetes for more than 20 years now, and not once have I experienced a base insulin misbehave so much as the Toujeo SoloStar. The effects range from severe hyperglycemia (> 20 mMol/L) to persistent hypoglycemia (< 3.0 mMol/L). Persistent, because even eating 60g of carbohydrates barely raises my blood sugar level. So basically this thing is unpredictable. After some searching I found that I am not the only one experiencing the above problems. TL;DR Do NOT use Toujeo SoloStar, its effects are unpredictable.”

klreinckeAOL · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 18, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Have been on toujeo for over 2 years, taking 80 units at bedtime. Like the other reviewer, djricci, the toujeo has caused a rash to break out all over my body, especially on lower legs and scalp. The overall constant itching is driving me nuts. Results have been so-so, I am lucky if sugar is below 200 in the AM. Have also experienced some of the side effects others have noted (blurry vision, weight gain, dizziness).”

Elly H December 25, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1: “Do not use this insulin! It needs to be recalled asap! The first few months I was on it were fabulous, rock steady blood sugars. Last week all of a sudden it stopped working for me. I tried multiple batches and this was not a refrigeration or site injection issue. Other type ones have gone through this same issue. There is an article on diabetes daily toujeo-insulin-the-problem-i-had-with-this-insulin I understand that some may enjoy it, as I did, but it is unpredictable and not safe for use. How this is even on the market is beyond me. Do not use!”

carolina13 January 9, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started taking the toujeo 20 units at night about 1 month ago and started having lots of problems my back and neck and vision feeling of not well, being depressed. I really thought I was dying I got off of it yesterday got back on my metformin. I am beginning to get better. The side effects were not good. I did not think it was the shot right away but it did not take me long to realise. I don't wont to go through that again. Please pay attention when you start feeling strange - be aware.”

Bennybooboo January 1, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Toujeo. 19 units at night. Two weeks off lantus solo star Blood sugars waking were 140, now 200 Nausea 15 minutes after injection. Lasts for two hours. Severe cramping and pain in feet ,calves, shoulders, and hands Diarrhea on and off through out the two weeks Dizziness Blurry vision in one eye Swollen gums Hope this levels off quickly”

satsas January 18, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started this medicine a year ago. I take 15 units before bed plus 2 Metformin pills a day. At first, I was getting fantastic results. Waking blood sugar every morning was under 100 and no side effects. Now, a year later, I have an itchy, scaly rash on my right side that will not go away, waking blood sugars are all over the place ranging from the 180's to the 280's, blurry vision, and tiredness. I've had no changes in diet or exercise and I'm not overweight. It's as if the drug just stopped working altogether. I am requesting my doctor take me off this and try something else.”

Rlljke · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 1: “my doctor tried switching me from lantus to toujeo because my blood sugar was always high in the morning. It started out working to bring my blood sugar levels down, but within four to six weeks, I had gained 10 pounds (and I am not tall), I had swelling, and I could barely feel my toes due to poor circulation. I have never had problems with circulation that could not be regulated. I have had type 1 diabeletes without too many complications for 35 years, and am otherwise, healthy. I had to have my doctor switch me back to Lantus because Toujeo was destroying my body. I hope this does not replace Lantus or I will not be around for long.”

DrRaouf · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 17, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I am Type 2 diabetic patient for almost 4 years. I used metformin and sitagliptin tablets but my A1C was always higher than 7.6 or even 8. I also had acute pancreatitis from Sitaglptin. My doctor prescribed me Toujeo SoloStar with metformin which improved my results but after meal blood sugar was still high. The doctor added NovoRapid insulin with the meals. Now my A1C is 5.6 and fasting glucose is below 7.2 , very satisfied with my medication.”

Algania · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “After being diagnosed with Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) in March of 2019 I was given this drug and Humolog for meal dosing. I have good experiences with Toujeo SoloStar for 3 weeks at a time then sugars go crazy ups and downs. So I would change pens way earlier then is prescribed and sugars would be fine for awhile. First box I got said good for 28 days now they say 56 days. Well not so, only good for at least 3 weeks then have too discard and open new pen. Hope this info helps someone.”

Rinno March 13, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 1: “35 year, type 1 for 5 years, was using Toujeo. In my case, Toujeo induced defensive responses, which caused unexplainable high BGs. Eg. went to bed with BG 100 and woke up with BG 270. I thought it was a rebound (Somogyi) effect or excessive DP. When I bought a CGM it revealed that the jumps occur abruptly, with no apparent reason, in the middle of the night or in the afternoon (after 10 - 15 hours from bedtime injection, when Toujeo reaches peak activity). In the final weeks, Toujeo caused me heartburn, accelerated and irregular heatbeat and shaking. My BG was in the range between 200 and 300, and bolus corrections had no lowering effect. In fact, Toujeo increased my BG, which is clear evidence of drug rejection. At the end, went to the ER with BG 450 and received NovoRapid infusion which bought me down to BG 100. Before, I took 25-30 units of Toujeo while now am on 14-16 units of Tresiba. I think I was Toujeo resistant from the very start but things escalated in the last months.”

MommyDoops · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 14, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 1: “When I experienced lipodystrophy on the insulin pump, my endocrinologist prescribed Toujeo pens for my basal insulin and Humalog pens for my mealtime and correction doses of insulin. I have always been somewhat brittle but on the toujeo, I was even more brittle. My doseage of 16 units of Toujeo was too low but an increase of only one unit of one unit per day caused extremely low blood sugars. In fact in my almost 40 years of Type 1 Diabetes, the lowest blood glucose readings I ever experienced (25 mg/dl) was while on Toujeo. I am not a medical professional but I would not recommend Toujeo to anyone.”

Tbbxny February 27, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 1: “My blood sugars had been somewhat erratic, so my doctor suggested switching me from Lantus to Toujeo. The only benefit I've found with Toujeo is the ease with which the insulin injects (my Lantus pens took more effort to push). My sugars are more consistent now, but they are consistently high. I am hoping that this is just an adjustment period, but based upon the other negative reviews I've read, I don't think so. I expect that I'll be switching back to Lantus.”

emg1 March 12, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “taking 62 units, used to use lantus with no problem, have had major problem last month or so with pounding heart, and rapid pulse. Heart problem comes any time during the day, and is getting increasingly more of a constant...going to go back to Lantus, and that is too bad, but can not deal with side effects.”

Jimpoe48 · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was on language for 4 years no side effects was taking 58 units,been on toujeo for 3 weeks and I'm beginning to notice a pounding heart beat off and on it started yesterday I hope this passes cause I like the numbers i'm getting wasn't getting these kind of numbers with language.”

Fish4me · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was put on Toujeo Solostar on 07/13/2015. It was discovered that I have a carcinoid tumor and my Endo said that Metformin can irritate the cancer,so he wanted me to start Toujeo and Humalog Kwik pen asap.When I was taking the Metformin,my BS were in the low 100's. On Toujeo and Humalog,the sugars are in the 200's. I'm at my wits end. Every time the endo. decides to put me on Insulin,my sugars go through the roof,if I'm on Metformin,the sugars are far below the 200's.”

BillSaavy May 2, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Getting better results than with Lantus. Used Lantus for 7 years. I have used Toujeo for 1 year as of April 2016. Did not experience any adverse side effects. Blood sugar much more stable - not as many highs or lows. Makes it easier to do fine-tuning with my mealtime insulin. A1c came down and stayed between 6 and 6.3.”