Toujeo vs Lantus - What's the difference between them?
Researchers discovered that concentrating insulin makes it last longer in the body with less variability in blood levels over time. This translates to a lower risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels), especially at night. Some reports have stated the risk of hypoglycemia may be up to 30% less with Toujeo compared to Lantus.
However, it is important to realize that concentrated does not mean stronger, it just means that there is more insulin per volume of liquid. Because the pen has been calibrated in such a way as to draw up smaller volumes, the dosage conversion from Lantus to Toujeo is still 1:1. For example, if your doctor prescribed you 22 units of Lantus and you changed to Toujeo, your initial dose would be 22 units of Toujeo.
In reality, though, some people may require dosage changes when switching products because it takes a while for your body to adjust to new insulin medication. In clinical trials, many people switching from Lantus to Toujeo required a higher dose of Toujeo compared with their previous Lantus dose.
Toujeo is sold in a packet of 3 cartridges at a cost of approximately $415 for 4.5 milliliters ($92.29/mL). Lantus is sold as a packet of 5 cartridges at a cost of approximately $453 for 15 milliliters ($30.23/mL). Toujeo works out only slightly more expensive than Lantus if you take the fact that it is three times more concentrated into consideration (real cost value $30.76/mL with Toujeo vs $30.23/mL with Lantus).
Comparison Chart of Toujeo and Lantus
|Type||Long acting basal insulin||Long acting basal insulin|
|Dosage form||Pen||Pen, vial|
|Onset of action (hours)||6||1-3|
|Duration of action (hours)||24+||24|
|Time to reach steady state||At least 5 days||2-4 days|
|Frequency of injection||Daily||Daily|
|In-use storage||56 days at room temperature||28 days at room temperature|
|Approximate cost||$415 (3 cartridges)||$453 (5 cartridges)|
See also: Toujeo vs Tresiba
Related medical questions
- Levemir vs Lantus: What's the Difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- Humalog vs Novolog (Novalog): What's the difference?
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How and where should I inject insulin?
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Toujeo vs Tresiba - What's the difference between them?
- Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- Does Tresiba cause weight gain?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- When does insulin lispro peak / how long does it last?