Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Novolin R is the same as Humulin R.
- Novolin N is the same as Humulin N.
- Novolin 70/30 is the same as Humulin 70:30.
- Novolin and Humulin are brands of insulin made by different companies.
- Novolin is made by Novo Nordisk and Humulin is made by Eli Lilly and Company.
What is the difference between Novolin and Humulin?
Novolin is a brand name for insulin that is made by Novo Nordisk and Humulin is a brand name for insulin that is made by Eli Lilly and Company. Insulin is a hormone that is produced naturally in our bodies. Its main role is to allow cells throughout the body to uptake glucose (sugar) and convert it into a form that can be used by these cells for energy. Without insulin, we cannot survive, and death from diabetes was a common occurrence until insulin was discovered in the early 1900s by Frederick Banting and Charles Best.
There are several different types of Novolin and several different types of Humulin and each one has been made to last for a specific length of time, for example:
- Novolin R and Humulin R: Short-acting insulins
- Novolin N and Humulin N: Intermediate-acting insulins
- Humulin 50/50: A combination of 50% intermediate-acting insulin and 50% short-acting insulin
- Novolin 70/30 and Humulin 70/30: A combination of 70% intermediate-acting insulin and 30% short-acting insulin.
Different insulins that work for different lengths of time are needed so that the natural release of insulin by the body in response to food is better replicated.
Novolin R and Humulin R
A short-acting insulin that:
- Starts to work within 30 minutes after injection
- Peaks in 2 to 3 hours
- Keeps working for up to 8 hours.
Novolin N and Humulin N
An intermediate-acting insulin that:
- Starts to work within 2 to 4 hours after injection
- Peaks in 4 to 12 hours
- Keeps working for 12 to 18 hours.
Novolin 70:30 and Humulin 70:30
Combination insulins that are usually administered 30 minutes before a meal and contain:
- A short-acting insulin
- An intermediate-acting insulin.
These premixed insulins simplify dosing in people needing insulin because they already have a short-acting and an intermediate-acting insulin in them. They start to work within 10 to 20 minutes after injection, peak in 2 hours, and keep working for up to 24 hours.
What are the side effects of Novolin and Humulin?
Novolin and Humulin have the same side effects because they are both insulins. Side effects of insulin include:
- Low blood sugar levels
- Weight gain, usually only when a person first starts using it
- Changes in eyesight
- Low potassium levels – may be felt as muscle pain, cramps or weakness or a funny heartbeat
- Mood changes
- A rash – usually just where you inject the insulin although some people may develop one over their whole body
- Lumps or scars where you inject the insulin.
What drugs interact with Novolin and Humulin?
Novolin and Humulin have the same interactions because they are both insulins. Interacting medicines include:
- antidepressants, such as fluoxetine or escitalopram or monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as isocarboxazid
- antipsychotics, such as aripiprazole or clozapine
- corticosteroids such as dexamethasone
- diuretics, such as bendroflumethiazide
- fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin
- HIV medicines, such as atazanavir or ritonavir
- hormones, such as estrogen, progesterone or testosterone
- other antidiabetic agents, such as glyburide, glipizide
- salicylates, such as aspirin
- some heart medications, such as beta-blockers (eg, atenolol or bisoprolol) ACE inhibitors (enalapril or captopril), ARBs (eg candesartan or losartan)
- sulfonamide antibiotics
Note this list is not all-inclusive and does not include all medications that interact with Humulin.
- Humulin 50:50 https://www.drugs.com/pro/humulin-50-50.html
- Humulin N Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/humulin-n.html
- Humulin R Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/humulin-r.html
- Humulin 70:30 Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/humulin-70-30.html
- Novolin N Novo Nordisk https://www.drugs.com/pro/novolin-n.html
- Novolin R Novo Nordisk https://www.drugs.com/pro/novolin-r.html
- Novolin 70/30 Novo Nordisk https://www.drugs.com/pro/novolin-70-30.html
Related medical questions
- Levemir vs Lantus: What's the Difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- Humalog vs Novolog (Novalog): What's the difference?
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How and where should I inject insulin?
- Toujeo vs Lantus - What's the difference between them?
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Toujeo vs Tresiba - What's the difference between them?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- Does Tresiba cause weight gain?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- When does insulin lispro peak / how long does it last?
Related support groups
- Insulin (72 questions, 216 members)
- Humulin N (10 questions, 9 members)
- Novolin N (7 questions, 14 members)
- Humulin R (6 questions, 13 members)
- Humulin 50/50 (4 questions, 3 members)
- Humulin 70/30 (4 questions, 4 members)
- Novolin R (4 questions, 16 members)
- Novolin 70/30 (1 questions, 9 members)
- Diabetes, Type 2 (362 questions, 1349 members)
- Diabetes, Type 1 (68 questions, 132 members)
- Insulin Resistance (16 questions, 105 members)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) (6 questions, 9 members)
- Gestational Diabetes (1 questions, 4 members)