Does Tresiba cause weight gain?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on June 28, 2020.
- Yes, Tresiba, like most insulins, can cause weight gain.
- People with type 1 diabetes gained an average of 1.8kg after 52 weeks.
- People with type 2 diabetes gained an average of 3.0kg after 52 weeks.
Weight gain is a side effect of most insulins, including Tresiba, and is attributed to the way insulin works to allow cells to uptake excess sugar from the blood and convert it into a form of energy they can use or store it for future use as fat.
Research has shown that after 52 weeks of treatment with Tresiba, people type 1 diabetes gained an average of 1.8 kg and patients with type 2 diabetes gained an average of 3.0 kg.
Ways to minimize how much weight you gain with insulin include:
- Counting calories. Meals should consist of half non-starchy vegetables, one-quarter protein, and one-quarter starch. Trim portion sizes.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Be active every day.
- Ask your doctor about other diabetes medications that are appropriate for you and less likely to cause weight gain.
- Take your insulin as directed, do not adjust your dosage without your doctor’s permission.
There is also a small risk of Tresiba causing sodium and water retention, which causes edema and weight gain. This happened in 0.9% of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus and 3.0% of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with Tresiba.
- Tresiba (insulin degludec) https://www.drugs.com/pro/tresiba.html
- Insulin and weight gain: Keep the pounds off. Nov 2017 Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/insulin-and-weight-gain/art-20047836
Related Medical Questions
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Levemir vs Lantus: What's the Difference?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- Humalog vs Novolog (Novalog): What's the difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- Are glucagon and glycogen the same thing?
- Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Toujeo vs Tresiba - What's the difference between them?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- Toujeo vs Lantus - What's the difference between them?
- Is Trulicity a form of insulin?
- Insulin vs Glucagon - What do they have in common?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- When does insulin lispro peak / how long does it last?
- How long does Humulin last?