User Reviews for Tresiba to treat Diabetes, Type 1

Tresiba has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 65 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1. 20% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 62% reported a negative effect.

Tresiba Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1.

Reviews for Tresiba

Michael · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2021

“I don't normally write reviews I am type 1 diabetic and I was on lantus, and then I got put on tresiba. I was so worried cos I have anxiety and read these reviews and you lot made me nervous about taking it. I couldn't get through to my diabetic nurse before taking and anyway it's alright. I had a few side effects that lasted 2 days blurry vision and felt a bit sick, but that's it and now it's best thing I have done I like how it gives you freedom on when you can take it and not having to take it same time every day. Honestly if your on here scared.. DON'T BE. Reading these comments will make you worse :) smile and breath and you'll be fine..”

Jewels · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

“This insulin Tresiba made me feel like I was constantly sick. I gained weight quickly, had heart palpitations, no energy, muscle weakness to the point I couldn't walk more than a few feet. Always tired - I would fall asleep at 8pm and wake up tired at 7:30am. Felt like I was injecting poison into my body. I became depressed because my body hurt so bad. My stomach hurt and it was bloated. If it wasn't for others posting their symptoms I probably wouldn't have related all my symptoms to my insulin. I've been diabetic I for over 50 years. As soon as I stopped, it took me 2 days to feel like my old self again. I will never take this medication EVER again.”

IslaMyLove · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2019

“I am in my 30s and have been a type 1 diabetic for 14 years. I have been using Lantus for +10 years, recently my Endo suggested I try Tresiba. The first few days my glucose levels kept spiking overnight to 19+, it took about a week to figure out dosing (which turned out to the same as Lantus, not less). I was exhausted for the first few days. This insulin does work well, if you miss a meal you will without doubt have a sugar low. After about 2 months, my findings are that I often had a nauseous, car-sick feeling, stomach pain and cramps in upper abdomen were common, almost a water on the brain/plugged ear feeling. It was time to get more Tresiba but I decided to just use lantus that I still had left. I would say immediately the next day after switching back to Lantus I felt normal again. The stomach pain is gone, I don’t feel dizzy or nauseous, my sugars have been stable and easy to control. Be all end all, Tresiba is worth a trial, but it was not for me.”

PetiteType1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2019

“This insulin is horrible. I've been a type 1, diagnosed as an adult, for 10 years. I was told, as many it seems, this is the best new insulin...I just try it. I've been trying it now for months. My sugars are sky high, sky high during the day, lows in middle of the night. How is this a flat, stable insulin. I too just unbearable tired, like I'm on sleeping pills or something, and nauseous too since starting this. I don't know if it's because my BG's are so messed up from this insulin or if it's the insulin. I've tried it, titrated dose. I'm very tiny and use very little insulin, only about 6 units basal per day. But this stuff, dry mouth, more weight loss but I too got really swollen ankles, feeling very tight. It's the worst insulin I've ever tried. I don't believe the positive comments are from real patients...I believe they're fake from Tresiba Reps. This is horrible stuff..worst BG control ever and I have A1C's typically in the 6's. since on this gone up to 8s.”

Ariman · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

“In the beginning this Tresiba insulin was a miracle. It came with stable glucose levels but after a couple of years . I became aware about its side effects. Notice that I had a constant flu like symptom, the bolus insulin didn't kick in as it did before, it was like Russian roulette. Tried Lantus in November and there is no doubt that Tresiba has some nasty side effects beside the flu. Lethargy, depression, water retention, itchy skin, and a feeling of a lump in the throat. Tried it again this last week and all these side effects came back within two days. The flu like symptoms kicks in about 3 hours after injection. Regret I tried it, because after some years off the Lantus it seems the body has developed anti bodies and the Lantus now have some side effects as well. Will get off this medicine tomorrow and try Lantus again and hopefully the depression and flu-like symptoms will subside again.”

KK · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 12, 2020

“Worst A1C I’ve ever had with this insulin. Started at 34 units of Toujeo and am now only taking 14 units of Tresiba and still experiencing issues. I’ve been experiencing nighttime drops where I give myself only 1 unit of rapid for 50+ carbs at dinner and my blood sugar falls all night. I’ll go to bed at a very high 20 and wake up 8, so I don’t feel safe going to bed when I’m NOT high. And then during the day my blood sugar rises like crazy and it’s like my fast acting doesn’t work at all during lunch. I’ve also never felt sicker. Have had stomach issues, bloating and cramping and pain that’s made me cry. I got an ultrasound done but they found nothing wrong, but after reading these reviews I’m wondering if it’s the Tresiba, since all these problems started only when I’ve been on it. I’ve had shortness of breath and chest pain and have felt so weak I couldn’t make it across the room. I’m honestly miserable on this insulin.”

Rob November 30, 2019

“The Tresiba is Horrible stuff. Will stick in your system and bounce your sugar levels to the extremes. Very volatile. Surges with constant low sugars then shoot up then bottom out again. The advantage of taking one shot reminisces by having to check your sugar level every hour. Whatever you do don’t take it at night if you don’t want to wake up in the hospital.”

Buster52 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2019

“Have been on Tresiba for 8 months and experienced weight gain, leg cramps and a kind of hopeless lethargy. Have also developed lichen sclerosis and parathyroid problems since starting. My diabetes team has been extremely resistant to me returning to lantus which I was using before and insisted that tresiba does not cause any problems. I have now taken the initiative to return to lantus on my own and I actually feel ‘clear’ again. I’m very disappointed in my health professionals in this case. I have been type 1 for 45 years.”

Krames01 February 8, 2020

“Started this drug Tresiba a couple of weeks ago and it’s been a horrible experience. I noticed my vision became blurry, I felt like I had the flu. I experienced chills, hot flashes, I felt real light headed. My sugars were stable through out the day so that was great. But then all through the night starting at about 2am, my sugars would just plummet. Needless to say I haven’t much sleep and probably gained a few pounds trying to keep that sugar up. My doctor swears it doesn’t peak but I’m not so sure about that. I kept lowering my dose but they would still fall around the same time at night, and my day sugars became more elevated. I felt plain awful on this drug and it needs to go back to the drawing board. Very bad formulary. I switched back to my levemir and feel much better. I’m disappointed because it supposed to be a dream Insulin but it was nothing short of a nightmare. My doctor suggested I switch to Tojeao but feel apprehensive.”

Pawel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

“After 5 months of Tresiba using with good results, the situation change dramatically. The glucose levels start to have slowly growing trend, particularly in the periods of nights and before noons where usually Tresiba should be highly active. Additionally, my blood pressure was unusual terrible, up to 170/100. I had never before such pressures. My normal pressures were around 120/70. Moreover, long time terrible stomachache. I decided to return to old Lantus. Just the first day after this change, the glucose levels, blood pressure and my stomach return to the norm. I am aware that these are individual reactions. However in the case of such or similar problems, remember - this is horrible side effect of Tresiba.”

Keenan · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“Started taking this a few months ago, took a couple weeks for it to start working. I take novolog for meals. Taking my novolog with this has been wildly inconsistent. I used to take Levemir/Lantus and it never affected my rapid acting insulin like this does. It almost feels like it’s time released because sometimes it doesn’t do anything and sometimes it does too much. Had an episode when I had to eat and drink orange juice for 2 hours waiting for my sugar to go back up after a low.”

frank7968 April 3, 2016

“I started this new tresiba, was the first person in the state to start it. Right afterwards, when i did the switch from levemir to tresiba, I caught the worst cold known in the history of man, and i mean BAD too, I was so tired, and at night i coughed so bad, i'd lose my breath. Doctor told me I don't have a cold, as my lungs were crystal clear. No matter what I did I could not get rid of this cold, and it got worse by the day. I began to become suspicious when no one and I mean not a one around me caught this miserable cold. I put 2 and 2 together, and I said it must be tresiba. went back on levemir, and the cold was gone in 48 hours. No pharmacy knew about this or adverse effects, it was that new. Never again.”

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2018

“My new doctor put me on Tresiba about a month ago (I was previously on Lantus) because she said it is the most stable long acting insulin. I have had T1D (type 1 diabetes) for over 4 years now and NEVER have I had so much trouble with my blood sugars. I have very good control (A1Cs range from 5.4-6.1, average blood sugar around 115-120 mg/dL), and while on this insulin my average was 148 mg/dL. I woke up low every morning, I'd lower the dose, then wake up high every morning. I started dreading meals because I knew I would have either an extreme low or extreme high afterward. I lost so many hours of sleep staying up trying to stabilize my blood sugar. I switched back to Lantus yesterday and already my blood sugars today have been 125 and 103 mg/dL today. So much more stable. Please steer clear of Tresiba. It's absolutely awful.”

Cee December 30, 2018

“My Endo gave me samples of Tresiba to try, and I used it for a little over a month. Adverse symptoms included dense brain fog, feeling like I had the flu for weeks on end, and one brief/mild episode of hives on day 12 that benadryl knocked out, and they didn't return. My biggest complaint was the incredibly volatile sugar levels. I use a Dexcom, and it was sending out fast rise/drop alarms 2-3 times an hour - up, up, down, up, down, down. It was exhausting. Endo adjusted the dose several times (3 days between each switch), but nothing helped. One thing I didn't try was splitting the dose over 12 hours, but have read where others have had some success with that. I just couldn't get level, even after 2 days of going completely carb free. I went back to Levemir and within 12 hours felt most symptoms alleviate, and in 24 hours, was back to 100%. I'm really glad I had the chance to try it, but may be allergic to it, so won't be going back.”

Odffh · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2016

“I am a Type 1 diabetic for 43 years. I have used virtually every insulin available as well as various insulin pumps over the many years I have been dealing with diabetes. None of the long acting insulins I have ever taken has behaved so well as far as keeping blood sugar stable while fasting. I now have to question whether I ever had dawn phenomenon since I no longer seem to have any rise in blood sugar in the morning. My guess is that we all have different responses to the different insulins. For me this is a game changer. Best I have felt in many years. Keep in mind that it for me it took about a week to see good results and I adjusted the dose in the second week as well. Hope more people have same experience.”

Cando October 11, 2018

“I have been a type 1 diabetic for 29 years...since 1989. I have been on nearly every insulin (think pig or bovine). My endo recommended the switch to Tresiba because it was “the poor man’s pump” nearly two years ago. I was made to believe I was ill in other ways (PCP and many test that were negative). My stomach hasn’t been right in two years. I watch my caloric intake like a hawk! I have gained weight, lost energy, and felt sicker than I have ever felt. I went from running half marathons to walking a few miles per week...this is THE connection. I appreciate those that validate your response to this medication. It may be different than others, but it has had a drastic negative effect on me.”

Nomie84 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2018

“I am 34, and have been on many insulin’s over the past 21 years. A BIG problem on this insulin was I gained about 15 pounds on it. The most frustrating part for me was that my legs felt really REALLY SWOLLEN all the time. They were very tight and uncomfortable. It was as if the weight I had put on had gone to mostly my legs. I spoke with my doctor and she said that was a very common side effect on Tresiba due to it being a super long acting insulin. She also said I wasn’t the only patient who had complained of that. Anyways, I went off of it and went back on Levemir insulin. Levemir never made me gain weight and never made my legs feel tight. I just felt like I needed to give Tresiba a chance because it was new. If you’re reading this I hope it works for you - I couldn’t handle the side effects.”

zoe126 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2016

“Type 1 diabetes for 33 years. I try to take meticulous control of my diabetes but it is always difficult to control my blood sugars. Having tried both Lantus and Levemir, and not wanting to go on a pump again, I tried Tresiba. Tresiba is just like being on a pump, except for my required injuections of novolog before food intake. Sugars consistently run in the low 100s to 125. Now I feel like my blood sugar needs to be corrected if it gets to 170. On both Lantus and Levemir I would've been content with a reading of 170. Tresiba is like being on a pump without the pump. It will take at least 8 days to get your Tresiba dosage correct, do not give up. My sugars were in the 300s while converting from Levemir to Tresiba.”

Tpang85 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2020

“It an ok insulin for sugar control and to each their own. I had a problem with higher morning numbers than when on Levimeir but it did work more through the daytime hours than Levimeir. My main problem was not being able to sleep through out the night due to CONSTANTLY URINATING ( more than 4-5 times a night!! ) even though my numbers were well within range. My doctor said it couldn't be Tresiba causing this but literally the first night I switched back to Levimeir I only used the bathroom once thru the night and that was even with waking up to a bg of 192! I also had the usual stuff like major weight gain and brain fog. I would honestly never use it again.”

Dadwithtype1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2019

“I am having huge problems with this new insulin. My doctor told me it was a new “miracle” long acting insulin. I was very excited to try it! I’ve been using it for about 4 weeks with terrible results. I feel like I have no long acting insulin in my body. My glucose readings are all over the place and if I go to bed with levels of6-8, I was wake up they are 18 - 20. This means I start my day in a terrible mood and feeling horrible. I started at 20 units and now at 28 units daily with no difference. I have an appointment soon and going to ask if I can just go back to Lantus or Toujeo. My glucose got so high one day that it was off the chart and couldn’t give a number, just said “high”. Very disappointed and do not recommend this product!!”

sunshine1959 · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2016

“Type 1 diabetic for 28 years. Went from split dose Levemir to spit dose Tresiba. I was dizzy and still having high DP and early evening. Switched to dosing Tresiba X1/d. Blood sugars were perfect no hypos or highs. But the headaches were so debilitating I could not participate in life. I am going back to Levemir. My total dose that worked on Tresiba was only 4 units ( Levemir it was 9). Also, I totally lost my appetite and threw up a couple of times but still somewhat bizarrely gained 3 pounds! I went from 115-117.9. I have a hunch I was starting to develope peripheral edema. I am a medical professional so I just use my own judgement wether to continue. I think everyone should give Tresiba a try. But be cautious and listen to your body.”

LongTermDiab October 24, 2018

“It's been a month now using Tresiba and I'm amazed at my results. Especially my overnight blood sugars. I utilize a Freestyle Libre flash blood glucose monitor and when I test in the middle of the night when I go to the washroom and then again when I wake up I can see that the graph is consistently flat throughout the night. I was on twice a day Lantus prior to this and my FGM would show me spiking at around 3am night after night. Not so with Tresiba. After 45 years of being a type 1 diab I am very happy that I decided to try this...so far. BTW the flash glucose monitoring I highly recommend too. My HgA1c went from 7.8 - 6.8 in just over 6 months b/c I can test as much as I want and know exactly what's happening all the time. Amazing advancements in my personal care thanks to these 2 products.”

Irish - Type I 52 years · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2015

“I switched over to Tresiba when it became available for sale the week before Thanksgiving (2015), and I consider it my 'Dream Insulin'. I was taking split doses of Levemir for a total of 50 units, and with Tresiba I only need 32 units once daily for Excellent control. Far better than Levemir or previously Lantus. I've had no lows, and for me it is very smooth and even. With a 42 hour duration, it takes about 8 days to see full results so make changes slowly. In my case, Tresiba is actually less expensive than my Humalog pens! BTW - they have a new pen design. Extremely easy to use. The doctor told me I'm most likely the first person in the states to give it a try - IMHO two thumbs up for Tresiba!!”

Typeonesince1977 · Taken for 10 years or more August 22, 2020

“I have had several Tresiba pens that do not work at all and I have to supplement with bolus shots ever 1-2 hours and fast until a new pen takes effect 1-2 days later. I do not know if it is a lot issue or a refrigeration issue during shipping. I store it in a refrigerator within 5 minutes of picking up the chilled insulin from the pharmacy. I have NEVER had an issue similar to this with any other insulin including Lente, NPH, Regular, Novolog, Levimeir, Lantus, or Humilog over the last 44 years.”

Goldie Locks · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2019

“Right before the 4th of July, my Endo had me try the Tresiba insulin. I had been on fast acting prior because of the pumps, so I had nothing to compare this with in terms on results. Tresiba worked very well on getting my sugars in range, and I even had several nights of perfect 117 sugars throughout. This insulin is a poor mans pump - however!... However, I experienced all the worst symptoms like headaches, foggy brains flu/cold like symptoms (honestly, I attributed it to my running around like a 20 years old at age 30) but then the swollen ankles came. Swollen, tender and my skin started feeling on fire. After I realized this was all from my insulin - I called my doctors office and told them to switch me off immediately. Which they did and I switched to Levemir. Here's to hoping it works well. With my review and reading others - I am convinced the Tresiba needs to e assigned to type 2's only because they seem to have better luck then type 1's are on this brand.”