User Reviews for Basaglar to treat Diabetes, Type 1

Basaglar has an average rating of 1.9 out of 10 from a total of 45 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1. 4% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 87% reported a negative effect.

Basaglar Rating Summary

1.9/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 1.

Reviews for Basaglar

Nita May 9, 2019

“I was on Lantus for about 8 year's and was forced to take Basaglar due to insurance issues. Since the swap to Basaglar I've already had two diabetic seizures in the last few weeks due to my blood sugar dropping to the 30's in the morning, yes...my blood sugar was 32 this morning, I cover carbs with novolog but stopped covering my evening food and before bedtime snacks so it wouldn't drop and it still did. I lowered the dose time after time and ate a ton of carbs before bed and I still almost died, however it doesn't lower my sugar later in the day I have to cover my meals with twice the fast acting as I normally would. They need a lawsuit formed against them for making this stuff.”

Diabetic scam victim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 13, 2019

“I was put on basaglar by my insurance company who was refusing to pay for Lantus. I have never been sicker in my life! I take so much more short-acting insulin all day long and wake up in the 2 to 300 range everyday. This has to be at placebo! It's being forced on us because it is cheaper but how much cheaper could it be if it is not working!”

Maddy August 9, 2019

“This med Basaglar is nothing like Lantus. My 12 year old Granddaughter was forced to switch from Lantus to Basaglar 8 months ago. The insurance will not pay for Lantus that she had been using for previous 2 years. Within a week of using we knew this medication was not working and was causing her side effects. Her Day time glucose levels were very high. We had to double her short acting insulin. At night time her levels are dropping to 40 every few hours. The pen injector malfunctions frequently, jams, and I am convinced dispenses incorrect amount of units. I have to wake her up & load her with carbs to get her levels back up 2-4 times each night. If it were not for her Dexcom G6 alarm I honestly think she would die in her sleep. She has headaches, abdominal pain, back pain, and leg cramps daily. She has respiratory issues every since starting the med.”

Basaglar Sucks April 8, 2019

“I was taking Lantus for years without any problems or side effects. Then the insurance company forced me to switch to Basaglar. As soon as I started taking it, it was making me sick with flu-like symptoms. I stopped taking it for a few days to see if it was the insulin that was causing it, and it was. The symptoms went away as soon as I stopped taking Basaglar, and then when I started taking it again, the symptoms came back. Basaglar IS TRASH. Pharmaceutical and insurance companies try to tell you that Basaglar is pretty much the same thing as Lantus, but that's NOT TRUE.”

qwerty January 14, 2019

“Recently switched from Levemir to Basaglar with a new job & new insurance. Like everyone else -- I have NO idea how this insulin was approved for T1D use. Seriously baffled. I have the Dexcom G6 CGM, so I'm painfully aware of just how bad it is. Every day I wake up & watch my sugar climb to 250 while fasting. I desperately shoot Novolog well into the late afternoon until I finally reach the some normalcy. Even still I can't eat a salad with four and a half croutons without my sugar climbing to 300, even with dosing well in advance. This is really blowing my mind, I'm pretty sure it's just water. If I don't get Levemir back the only way I can see myself staying out of DKA is a practically no carb diet. I'm just out here screaming into the void...”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2018

“I've been on Basaglar for exactly 1 week now. Before I was taking Toujeo. In this one week alone I've been hospitalized for DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) and now I am experiencing facial swelling and hives. Yesterday I woke up with my blood sugar (BS) at 114 and decided to fast for most of the day to see if that would help keep me stable. Over the full 24 hours I ate 2 apples and a little bit of quinoa. Before bed my BS was at 524, which is much higher than it was when I went in for DKA. This stuff is not working, its breaking me out, and it is making me fear for my life. Today is Christmas and I am considering not eating at all because I do not wish to go into a coma. Thanks Basaglar. I'm so frustrated right now I have to fight to get my old meds back.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2019

“I was taking Lantus for years when my insurance made me switch to Basaglar. They told me Basaglar is pretty much the same as Lantus and just a cheaper generic version. But I had nothing but problems with Basaglar. As soon as I started taking it I was having flu like symptoms that never subsided. Basaglar is horrible and needs to be taken off the market”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

“I was taking Lantus and it worked very well. Forced to change because of health plan and now I have very high blood sugars all of the time- never in range since switching. BASAGLAR DOES NOT WORK. Health plan said they were saving 25 million- I wonder why.”

Bags · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2018

“My insurance company made me wwitch to Basaglar from Lantus. Worked ok for about 2-3 weeks then my blood sugars were all over the place. Switched back to Lantus (after having to fight my insurance to cover it) and my blood sugars were perfect again. I wear a Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System and would watch my sugars not remain constant and pin ball on Basaglar. Ever since I switched back to Lantus they are perfect again. Do. Not. Switch. To. Basaglar.”

Basaglar Sucks April 10, 2019

“Insurance company forced me to switch from Lantus to Basaglar. Over the course of several years of using Lantus, I had no problems. But with Basaglar, as soon as I started taking it, I had flu-like symptoms that never subsided. Every night I was having stomach problems. I hope Basaglar gets taken off the market, because it's pure garbage”

Lis · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“This Basaglar insulin doesn't work for me at all. I'm very disappointed because my blood sugar levels are erratic. I can't eat if my blood sugar reading is 269 or even higher. I'm always hungry and don't feel healthy having stomach aches very often . I hope this nightmare will end and this impotent insulin will be taken off the market . What a garbage .”

RWR · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 10, 2019

“My medical aid in 2018 forced the Basaglar insulin (long working) as the only insulin they will fully cover on my medical aid plan/cover. I previously used Protaphane insulin as long-acting insulin. Since I used Basaglar insulin my daily usage of both the long- and short-acting (Humalog) insulin has increased dramatically. When I started with Basaglar insulin I have kept it to the similar dosage as I used with the Protaphane insulin but I was shocked that the Basaglar insulin do not worked as the Protaphane insulin. To kept my sugar levels between 6 and 10, I had to almost double my usage with the Basaglar insulin. The Basaglar insulin had a negative impact on my health as I was forced by my medical aid provider to only use Basaglar insulin. My review is that the Basaglar insulin is the worst insulin I have ever used.”

Rich August 2, 2019

“Like everyone else my insurance company forced me to switch from Lantus to Basaglar. Within a week I had a strange rash on my torso. Only recently did a biopsy conclude that it began when I began Basaglar. Other side effects for me are extreme exhaustion and decline in muscle strength. Instability walking and serious weight gain. In the past 18 months I have been totally unable to control my blood sugars and it is taking a toll on my health. I am now having to fight with my insurance company to cover Lantus. ”

Bri · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

“It’s terrible I just started last night and my experience is horrible this should be recalled my stomach has the worst cramps ever, I can’t sleep my glucose is very high, I feel extremely sluggish. In the morning I’m going to get back on lantus this medicine is like a poison”

Henry · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2019

“My son asked "Dad, could this new insulin be a placebo?" His blood sugar was consistently high on Basaglar. He increased the dose, but it did not help. He has a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), so he's very aware of how things are going. My other son had a different experience -- very inconsistent blood sugar levels. He had both highs and lows while on Basaglar that were unexplained by other things. He has a CGM too, so it was pretty clear what happened after the switch. I believe in the FDA process and generics or biosimilars or whatever they're called. But Basaglar didn't work for us. Back on Lantus now and back to normal.”

Mmm · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2019

“Not sure if its purely due to basaglar, but ever since I've taken this medication I've been getting respiratory infections after stopping this medication the infections disappeared. I was on antibiotics weeks after weeks so at this point I'm going to blame poor quality of this product. This insulin is just not worth the damage; "flu like" symptoms is honestly the best way to explain it. The way the medication is metabolized by the body definitely has an issue somewhere more R&D should've been done. Please Eli Lily this product is very unpredictable compared to other insulins (levemir/lantus/humulin) its most definitely not as aggressive as lantus is. It also seems to not work very well with novolog in my experience its like gambling.”

sandy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2019

“My Basaglar pens constantly malfunction so I never get the required dose, sometimes not getting any and wonder what happens if the malfunctioning pen delivers too much one time, my other insulin pens do not have these issues...”

D · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2018

“Basaglar should be banned for use period. I had leg cramps so bad, and back pain that made it extremely hard to stand up, it lowered my levels at night, but at 10:00 am I'm at 380-400, and the head ache was horrific for one full day, I think the people that made it should be put on it as test subjects ,they would soon change there minds on giving it to others!!!”

Jenn · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2019

“Basaglar has been a bad experience for me. I've been on it for 2 years now and my blood sugars are much more unpredictable and higher than previously when taking Lantus. I hope to get an insurance that will cover Lantus again!”

ChrisG · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2019

“I am another Type 1 diabetic that was switched from Lantus to Basaglar by my insurance company. Prior to the switch, my A1c was 5.7-6.3; now it's in the 7-7.5 range. Basaglar is a complete dud for me. The only thing consistent with it is my morning 200+ BGs. I finally went back to using my insulin pump and within a day, perfect stable BGs with almost 1/2 the amount of insulin. When I go back on syringe therapy, I'll have my Endo require my insurance to prescribe Lantus.”

NJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

“My son has diabetes since the age 3. He was for 23 years on Humulin N which wasn’t great but we kept the blood sugar in control. The doctor switch his insulin to Basaglar....it is a disaster! His blood sugar is 450 to 500 if something happens to him I will sue the doctor and Lilly co. For selling this useless insulin to patients. We tried Lantus few years ago....was not working either....”

chels · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

“I've been type 1 for 20 years and been on Lantus the majority of the time, my insurance switched me to Basaglar 4 months ago and I've gained 20 lbs. Also have had headaches and I already suffer from anxiety and depression but my depression seems to be a lot worse. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!! If I could give it a 0 out of 10 I would!”

Pixiechick · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“Like many others, I was forced off Lantus by my insurance company. I just started the basaglar 3 days ago. Luckily I decided to not take my usual full dose until I saw how I reacted. Yesterday I crashed 2x. Today I cut the morning dose again. I have crashed and had to eat some fast carbs 3x today. It has been so erratic that I couldn't use my fast acting insulin with my meals....and have still crashed. I ate Christmas cracker and crashed...That alone should have sent me well over 200 without fast acting insulin. Sort of scared to go to bed. It has been 12 hours since my injection... and an after dinner crash is what sent me to this site to read reviews.”

Bradynsmom · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2018

“Endo was trying to help us save $ and said this tier 1 medication was cheaper than Levemir, which is tier 2, and should be the same thing. It's NOT! Blood sugar levels (BSL) had previously been 140-160 in the morning with Levemir. The only thing we changed was I started taking Basaglar at night. BSL is now 250-290 in the morning. It takes all day to come back down, and I'm having to take higher doses of Novalog during the day to control my BSL. This medication is terrible! It should be taken off the market immediately.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2021

“I'm a foster mom to a 4 year old with Type 1 Diabetes. This pen is horrible!! Since he has OHP, the insurance switched from Lantus to this POS because of cost. Every night its a fight to get the correct amount to come out and we don't even know if he is getting the correct dosage because of how the pen is. The pens need to be fixed, we can't keep guessing if he is getting the correct dosage. And to make things worse, it hurts him even more because of how hard it is to push the button. His numbers have been all over the place because this med doesn't work as good as Lantus.”