Does Praluent (alirocumab) lower triglycerides?
Does Praluent lower triglycerides?
No, Praluent (Alirocumab) has little effect on triglyceride levels.
Praluent is taken to reduce Low Density Lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) blood levels.
- Praluent inhibits a protein called proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin 9 (PCSK9) from binding to the LDL receptor, this ultimately results in increasing the number LDL receptors available to remove LDL from the bloodstream, therefore reduces LDL cholesterol levels.
- In the ODYSSEY OUTCOMES clinical trials for Praluent, the patients were on maximally tolerated statin doses in conjunction with Praluent. Statins are known to reduce triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, so often patients are prescribed both statins and Praluent together.
- Clinical research has shown that lowering a patient’s elevated level of total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, triglycerides can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Click here for a list of medications that treat high triglyceride blood levels.
- Peripheral Artery Disease and Venous Thromboembolic Events After Acute Coronary Syndrome. Role of Lipoprotein(a) and Modification by Alirocumab: Prespecified Analysis of the ODYSSEY OUTCOMES Randomized Clinical Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7242174/
- Praluent Medication Information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/praluent.html
Related medical questions
- How do you administer a Praluent injection?
- Praluent vs Repatha: What's the difference?
- How does Praluent work?
- How long does it take for Ozempic to work?
- What is Ozempic face?
- How many doses are in an Ozempic pen?
- Where and how should Ozempic be injected?
- Does Ozempic need to be refrigerated?
- How to avoid yeast infections on Jardiance?
- Does Jardiance cause weight loss?
- How long does it take for Jardiance to work?
Related support groups
- Praluent (8 questions, 39 members)
- Alirocumab (3 questions, 5 members)
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction (51 questions, 24 members)
- High Cholesterol (84 questions, 263 members)