User Reviews for Alirocumab

Also known as: Praluent

Alirocumab has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 137 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Alirocumab reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

High Cholesterol
5.7
Summary of Alirocumab reviews 6.1 137 reviews

Reviews for Alirocumab

Shamrockman · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I had mildly elevated LDL with a diagnosis of CAD and didn't like the side effects of Lipitor and Crestor. Long history of mild to moderate depression. Two weeks after first injection, depression seemed worse. After 2nd injection depression was worsening moderately. After the third injection depression was becoming severe. LDL lowered from 85 to 58, but the increasing misery that I attributed to Praluent didn't seem to be worth continuing the drug. No other side effects that I remember. Started returning closer to baseline feeling within a few weeks and decided to try to eat more fiber at breakfast and no eggs to keep LDL on the lower side.”

bodivine · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 22, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “After a year of therapy the results are outstanding! I had no way of reducing my LDL and raising my HDL cholesterol, even though I was able to bring down the overall cholesterol with 'statins. This worked precisely where I needed help. Since I have been a previous MI patient it was double important for my saving.”

Undetermined · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 24, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I’ve been using Pralent for approx. a year. I’ve experienced the leg pain, at the most. My cholesterol was 500 plus. This medicine has dropped it to 271! I know that’s still extremely high but, it lowered it extremely! I haven’t noticed runny nose, nausea, constipation, excessive heart rate, or increase in blood pressure with this medicine. Reading the reviews has answered my questions about the leg and back pain I’m experiencing. I also have headaches, I feel comes from this medicine. I just hope and pray one day we all will find the miracle cure! Until then, stay healthy n happy!❤️❤️❤️”

Return Review · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I thought I would follow up on my initial review that I left several weeks ago to give some that are having a bad reaction like myself some hope. I literally couldn't stand for more than a few minutes I was so weak. I had no core strength, no strength in my legs and then my arms. I lost my dexterity in my hands. Had a bad cough, my heart was beating wildly...etc. All these side effects started to dissipate approximately 2 months after my last dose. I am almost back to full strength. As my cough started to go away, all my strength started coming back and my heart beats calmed down. This stuff Praluent is insane. I will never take another one of these injectables again. The good news is that I'm about 90% better. Everyone leaves these comments stating that they are really in trouble on this, but never follow up. For two months I thought I was toast....I'm writing to let others know I'm almost back to normal - 2 months of a living nightmare. It still gets a one rating.”

Beanie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Had GREAT results from using the Pralulent for 6 weeks but the flu-like symptoms got worse after every injection (did the every other week). My numbers were fantastic but I decided it wasn't worth it. My doctor convinced me to try it but only once a month. Had my first shot four days ago and so far only a stuffy nose. Maybe for those having issues changing to only once per month would be a good compromise.”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I have Myasthenia Gravis and Praluent initially flared my condition within 3 days of taking this, this has subsided several weeks later. With respect to side effects, I have neck, shoulder, back and leg pain, cramping, nausea, severely fatigued and I mean severely, weakness in legs and finally can't leave out the cough. I had a similar reaction to Repatha. I thought I would give Praluent a go. Half life is super long 17 - 20 days....so, this will be fun. There's no way I will continue this. It's amazing how FDA could pass this stuff. I would like to sift through the clinical trial data....the real data.”

63 yr old April 3, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Have strong family history of heart disease. Have had several stents placed. Have high BP and cholesterol. Statins made me have severe muscle issues most noticeable in my feet. Cardiologist had me try Repatha and I had severe muscle pains, cough, leg swelling. Changed to Praluent with two injections done and same thing. Now have severe pain in hands and unable to do fine dexterity movements with one hand. I will not take this injection again to see if symptoms subside. If this medication is causing the symptoms, beware before you take the drug. My next plan of ways to lower cholesterol will be more of natural treatments. Has anyone had success with this?”

Pickle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Took this for a month and a half and my pcp told me to stop. I made trips to my gynecologist thinking my problems were related to my estrogen then to med Express for sinus issues and the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. ER could not find anything. I had aches and pains. Could hardly walk due to stiffness in ankles and leg pain. Heart palpitations and chest cramps. Trouble swallowing and the feeling of having stuck in my throat. Sweats and vision blurring. I had been off my blood pressure meds for 2yrs and had to start taking them again. I've been off of it for about a month and still have chest cramps and something stuck in throat. I may not like statin drugs but with CoQ10 I can manage them. Never taking this med again. I would rather die.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I started Pralulent 75 mg in June 2019 due to my high cholesterol 270 and LDL 191. I’m female, in my early 60s and normal weight. It was recommended since I am allergic to statins and had muscle and joint pain from statins. I was so hoping the Pralulent would work for me. I didn’t have any issue with the injection but a day after both times I took the shot my muscle and joint pain was awful. I could not sleep due to the pain and even my stomach and ribs ached. My CAD showed 143 with calcification in my descending artery. I’m nervous about having a heart attack or stroke but don’t think I can continue these shots if I am so debilitated afterwards. My doctor wants me to try Repatha but after reading the side effects and reviews it sounds even worse. I may just have to try watching me diet. I really don’t know what to do. My cardiologist is surprised that I reacted to this drug.”

Gav · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I read a lot of negative comments on line about Praluent and quite frankly the potential side effects were pretty scarey to read. I've just taken my 2nd injection and can honestly say its been fine. The injection itself doesn't hurt at all and I haven't had any significant side effects, positive or negative. After each injection I have felt a bit lethargic but nothing to worry about. I'm sure those people who experience negative responses to this drug are experiencing real issues but for me its been fine.”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I have been taking it for about 5 months. It lowered my cholesterol but the pain I have in my hips and bones are not worth it can hardly walk the pain is unbearable. They say it takes 3 months to get out of your body. Can't take anything without side effects.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “79 year old male 10 days ago had one injection Praluent 150mg, within 24 hours right shoulder, back pain. Constant severe pain first week could only sleep on my back, Up many times during night pain so severe. Four days after went to primary doctor, got anti-inflammatory medicine, steroid injection which did nothing. Seven days after injection severe pain in right shoulder, went to ER received cortisone injection, got minor relief few hours. Now 13 days after injection pain in right shoulder still bad, with minor moments of reduced pain. Hopefully with time ?? I also cannot forget runny nose,cramps in legs, very weak as well.”

Rando · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Horrible drug. If you think you have any kind of immune system issues, do not take this drug Praluent. I have been dealing with Lyme disease issues for years but have had it under control. One dosage of this drug triggered some kind of auto immune response and my Lyme symptoms came back. It’s been six months and I still feel like rubbish every day. Manufactured denied anything is wrong with drug.”

Mike June 12, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I've had my 2nd injection @ 150mg dose last week. Don't know my numbers yet but the side effects are identical to when I started Crestor drug. My whole body hurts, hard to walk very far without severe muscle pain. Can't sleep because of muscle pain. I feel like death warmed over. Last dose for me.”

Unhappy in Huntley · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “So I have been on Praluent for a month. I was previously on Repatha doing great, however my insurance doesn't want to pay for that and made me switch. 2nd dose now have UTI, muscle pain and daily headaches. I go to my doctor in 2 weeks and see if I can go back to Repatha. I thought from the reviews they are the same however theses side effects are telling otherwise. Btw both give me stuffy nose but I can live with that one. The other side effects were what I had being on statins and this is the low dose of Praluent.”

MissyJ · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I am 63 yr old female with type 2 diabetes. I can't tolerate statins..tried Repatha and after 3rd shot got severe back pain. I had heard about Praluent so tried that and after 1 injection I had severe nausea and vomiting, headache, sore throat and back pain on right side only. Going back to doc tomorrow because of feeling so bad. Safe to say there won't be a 2nd injection. Hope this leaves my system quickly”

Big Cat 58yrs old · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Had my first heart attack at 41yrs old had 4 more ended up with 2 open heart bypass surgery’s my cholesterol was off the chart 80 mg of statins did little to nothing. Repatha was prescribed 4 days after the first injection I was bed ridden for 5 days, hands, hips, neck, shoulder, lower back and knees all frozen, I couldn’t move without pain. Was switched to Praluent and worse effects. I’ve been in construction for 40 years and now I can’t provide for my family But my numbers have never been better but I will never inject again”

mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I am a 70 y/o male never been over weight, 145 5'7" have been a runner and gym rat my whole life. Tried all the statins but could not tolerate the pain. I eat a very strict diet and no junk food. History of high cholesterol in the family. I had 4 shots of praluent, or two months worth. I had my blood tested before I started the shots, then again 2 months later. Results were amazing. Total cholesterols went from 270 to 154. LDL went from 180 to 66.So far no side effects.”

kenjam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I was on Repatha for years with no problems. Insurance provider stopped coverage, but offered coverage for Praluent. Out of pocket cost to me for three month supply of .75mg every two weeks is $720.00. Taken it twice. Sore in mouth, lower back pain, and weak legs to go with overall feeling of tiredness/weakness. Biggest concern is that my blood pressure and pulse have gone off the scale, which is something I did not previously experience and seem incapable of bringing it down regardless what I do. Always had excellent numbers without medication. Had Afib three times in a two-day period. To put it mildly, I have severe reservations the plus side of this medication is worth the side effects. Life without quality seems to be lacking in the basic tenant.”

CholAlex · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Praluent ruined my life! I was diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia and was prescribed Praluent by the cardiologist. If I knew then what I know now I would have never have taken this poison. From the moment I took my first & last Praluent injection my heart started beating rapidly, my chest tightened up, short of breath, severe stomach pain, anxiety and vomiting! I was admitted to the hospital and doctors had no idea what Praluent is and I had to explain while I was in critical condition. Their advise was don't take anymore injection and wait until the Praluent gets out of my system which can take up to 3 months! Three months have passed and I am now in constant pain! I'm on strong pain killers, steroids and anti nausea medication. I also developed hypertension and I can't seem to bring it down even with meds! I don't think I will ever recover from this. If anyone had similar experience and had treatment for the horrible life changing side effects please share it with us.”

arcey October 8, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “I am a heart patient. I’ve had one heart attack and another one milder one a year ago. I have taken two injections with not too many noticeable side effects. Maybe some isolated aches and pains and maybe a little tightness in my chest. After the 1st week of the second injection. I checked my BP 169/95, checked again the 2nd day. 159/99. Way too high for a heart patient! Then it goes down too low. 95/69 etc. I have done reported this to the FDA. I don’t need this. I called my doc and was told by a nurse to increase my BP meds but I told them NO!. Not till I talk to my regular heart doc and primary care doc in person. I’m done with this med for now. If I am going to die I would rather die from not taking this med. If I die from taking this med, what’s the point? I don’t think a long range study on side effects from this med has been done. It hasn’t been out long enough.”

NUM-NUM · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I started Praulent about a year ago... loved the results LDL from 135 to 69 just awesome. I first noticed a tightness in my chest and diaphragm, as I continued to take it I notice increased difficulty in breathing deeply and freely. There was the loss of stamina and increased fatigue. I used up my supply of Praulent 5 weeks ago... restricted breaths stopped about 2 weeks ago. SCARED about going back on Praulent with corona virus approaching. I'm 69 years old that battle will be hard enough... Restart Praulent... YES or NO? I JUST DON'T KNOW!”

barry August 15, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “I have been taking this drug for two years, and the side effects are bad, lower back pain, legs weak, I am 69 and it has taken my LDL from 250 down to 55 but the side effects are just not worth it. I tell my cardio dr, but he just says if you stop it then go home and wait for your heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do, can't live with all the pain of this drug, but not sure if I can live without it either?”

NJG November 14, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “Took one dose of Praluent @ 3:00pm and had a massive flush of symptoms throughout my whole body 15 minutes later. At the ER at 4:00 given steroids shot, benadryl shot and finally epinephrine to stop the reaction 4 hours later. This is toxic and poison! It should be taken off the market.”

Jw · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “Horrible. It has been 6 days since I could function. Severe neck & sinus pain. Arms so tired I can barely lift them. No fever. Bronchial pain & short of breath. Dr said wait it out. Wait 3 weeks before next dose. There will NOT be another dose.”

Uniquetta June 23, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: “This is an update to my April 29th comments. My numbers are great vs. last December, 2019: cholesterol overall: 153 vs. 250 HDL: 65 vs. 56 LDL: 67 vs. 162 Triglycerides: 107 vs. 160 Side effects: Frequent muscle spasms; shorter in duration than muscle cramps, occurred during daily activity. Bend to tie my sneaker; spasm in my butt. Stretch to clasp on my bra; spasm in my midriff. These have subsided somewhat. I still have the same kinds of excruciating thigh/muscle cramps at night that I got on statins. The big difference is they aren't as bad or long lasting. I still get cramps in my feet and the calves of my legs but, again, not as bad. My feet get sore and tired when I take my walks, which never happened 3-4 months ago. Overall I would say if these side effects don't get any worse I will likely continue on the drug. The outstanding results for my cholesterol are worth it, since I have cardiovascular risks, as well.”

Mike · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 23, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Had a heart attack 5 years ago at 38 years old due to hypercholestrolemia. Statins wrecked my body up until this came out. I’m allergic to almost everything so I was happy to hear that this medicine didn’t have bad side effects for most people. This medicine has literally saved my life. Ive had normal levels for a while now. The only noticeable thing I get is occasional urinary sensitivity. Surprised to see all the negative comments. This medicine costs me nothing.”

Omega · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “2 years following a massive heart attack and have been injecting praluent since. Twice a month at 75mg. LDL has dropped from 130 to 19! I have had no side effects. A little bleeding from injection site. Elequis, Plavix and Aspirin cause that. I tried to take statins since 2005 with first heart heart diagnosis, no joy on the numbers, just muscle pain. I was a vegan for 7 years and nothing helped until Praluent.”