User Reviews for Alirocumab

High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous
5.5

Summary of Alirocumab reviews 6.5 45 reviews

Reviews for Alirocumab

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "Taking a statin was toxic to my body. Now taking Praluant,,,,live changing. LDL 40, Total Chol 132."

WW (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "After 15 years on statins I could not accept Iiving with the continuous aches and pains. After three months on Praluent I feel fine, no noticeable side affects, no problem with injections. Cholesterol numbers reduced dramatically."

Lon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "LDL from 132 to 40, 30 days after 2nd injection with Livalo oral."

Dave July 16, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "My total cholesterol has dropped from 268 to 125! The “all important” LDL (bad cholesterol) has been reduced from 184 to 50! Dramatic reductions in just 6 weeks on 150mg every two weeks. My HbA1c is essentially the same at 6.6 (was 6.7)...not bad. Kidney, liver- all stable and ok. No side effects at all with Praluent. Statins are toxic to my system--not just side effects, but toxic."

EdE (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I'm 54 year old male, average weight, healthy active lifestyle but diagnosed with Hyperlipidemia. Statin drug intolerant. Been on Praluent 6 weeks. LDL went from 212 to 57, HDL from 36 to 44. Negative side effects at all. Fantastic results!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I used this drug for over a year with good results for my cholesterol, but then developed an allergic reaction to it. The first time it occurred it was bad, but I mistook it for indigestion. The following dose there was no doubt. A few hours after taking the shot I became very nauseous. Had diarrhea, reflux vomiting and bad pain in my stomach and pancreas. Did not take it again."

MtGrandma (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "Leg muscles tightened up so bad could barely walk"

BOB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "This drug is great. I have been on it for 3 months and had my first blood test. My cholesterol went from 277 to 130 and no side effects."

Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on this drug for 3 mo. Everytime I inject---for 36 hours I get leg pain and hand cramps and feel very tired. I am unable to sleep due to the leg pain and both hands have severe spasms. Joints seem to be getting worse with movement in tennis and pickle ball . I am going to see my doctor and stop this medication. Will have to do diet alone because all statins cause body spasms and cramps"

JJ2905 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I'm a 53 yes old female, I've had two heart attacks back in 2015. Also diabetic and other chronic illness. My doctor prescribed this medication about four months ago, at first I didn't take it something made me weary. I don't tolerate statins. Just this week took my third dose. The side effects are horrible the pain is unbearable. My memory is a mess. I can't literally hold a cup in my hands. Lower back pain, legs are weak if I move an arm it feels like it's being broken , my shoulders hurt my neck hurts, literally I'm not able to function at all. I will not take this medication ever again calling my doctor tomorrow and letting him know, that I'm practically in pain 24/7. I refuse to be this ill."

Melly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am a 64yr old female. I did my first shot yesterday. Had to go to ER with very high bp, rapid hear bears, swollen eye lids, jittery, head and neck pain, itching, red skin. It was a negative experience"

Love (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "My Cholesterol was higher 5 for years when it should have been under 5 to be normal. Unable to take stations, it was 7.4 when I started on Praulent. 9 months later, my cholesterol was down to 4.53, and no noticeable side effects. I have always been prone to sinus infections, but the number of incidences or severity has not increased."

Lady B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on praluent for about 18 months had some cramping in my hands ended up in the hospital last week with cellulitis. The infectious disease doctor said it happened when I gave myself the Praluent shot and it malfunctioned. I am thinking about seeing an attorney as I was in severe pain for several weeks. I am 75 years old"

HUGH March 6, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "started Praluent 9/2015. Began cough/cold symptoms 1/2016. Injection every 2 wks. Symptoms got worse each time med was injected. 7/2016 Informed my Dr who said symptoms were unrelated. Between 8/2016 and 1/2017 went to the ER 5 times and spent 20 days in hospital. Bronchitis and autoimmune reaction. The med reduced LDL and destroyed my immune system. Had to receive infusion and still have very low IGG. Once I stopped it Took all of 2017 to start feeling a little better. Reported reaction to mfg and FDA. Thinking about seeking litigation advice."

RSU (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I posted here in Aug stating that due to pain in my legs, fatigue, backache etc I had stopped this med. On a recheck w/doc in Sept I found that my chol had risen to 410! So rebound was terrible; double what it was pre-praluent! I am now back on 75 mg and will be rechecked in Dec. I am already experiencing nasal/mucous issues and some back pain and fatigue altho not as bad as when on 150 mg. What I'm wondering is if anyone out there knows if this can cause long term severe problems and has anyone talked to their doc about these side effects and if so what were their comments please."

EDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "BAD CHOLESTEROL went down from 380 to 145. Before with other drugs no results after years and problems with erection. Erections are back now. No side effects really."

BELGIAN BOB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am a statin Intolerant patient who was initially excited to try this new drug. Was easy to administer and seemed to be working with little side effects (minor cough and cold symptoms). Total Cholesterol went from 203 to 98 after just two months. As I continued to use the drug developed severe shortness of breath and heart palpitations. Sadly apparently I can't tolerate this drug either. After further research, there is little research on long term side effects. My pharmacist told me that patients are reporting my same symptoms and even memory loss. Not the drug for me."

Girl power August 23, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I started taking this drug in Dec 2015 w/amazing results! Within a few months however I noticed I was feeling ill and had sore muscles particularly in my upper legs, and bc I am a devoted walker, 3-5 miles per day, I began to wonder if it could be the Praluent. My Dr informed me that he had not heard if problems do I continued to take it. In May this year a problem arose with ins/availability of this drug for me. Bc I was forced to stay off it for a month, all of a sudden I began to feel better! I mean all tiredness, fatigue, muscle pain were just simply gone! When offered the meds again I have refused. I was really really sick from this medicine. This is my own experience. Since then I have read a lot of blogs where others have exp same"

EDB (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have genetic heterozygous familial hyperlipidemia. I have a good diet and decent amount of regular exercise. My LDL has shot way down after a short time on this drug, from 154 to 40-85 range. HDL is slightly lower at 37 than it used to be - 39,40. I've been taking it for 6 months. My liver enzymes are elevated but still within range. I haven't seen too many physical side effects except recently I had bruising and soreness at the injection site with my last shot- this hasn't happened before. I sometimes have liver and digestive pain but I also have GI issues from before so I'm not sure it's the drug. I'm pleased but hoping my liver enzymes stabilize and the injection sites don't get too sore in the future. I also take high dose statins."

Schuyler August 2, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I no luck with statins, Dr. put me on praluent (3.5 mo.) I have had 1 heart attack resulting with 1 stent before I started Praluent. I also have torticollis in my neck and buldge discs in back which I am treated for, but since I started Praluent seems like my symptoms are worse. My neck , back, and legs hurt. 2 weeks ago I thought I was having another heart attack, went to hospital ER pain eased and EKG came back normal, possible side effect? I am thinking about taking myself off Praluent, I am tired of feeling like garbage . I'm a 67 year old male ,"

larry s. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Excellent results"

Francis50 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Age 57. It has lower my LDL to 62. At age 49 I had a bypass 10 years later a stent and then had procedure to kill some of my extra heart beats. I have been taking it for over a year now and my skin feels like a bad sunburn, my throat closes off when drinking and eating now and then. My sex drive is about gone for me. When I go to sleep I start coughing for about 10 minutes then stops Throat gets dry sometimes then coughing and mucus starts running down throat."

copierman (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "74 year old male, triple bypass in 2002. Cholesterol around 300 previous to drug therapy, now at 116. Tried many varieties of statins, all had arthritis like side effects. Haven't noticed the same issues with this drug, arthritic pain now only occurs after strenuous labor. Drug is very expensive and financial help not easy to come by. NO luck with the PAN network."

Jack W May 4, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "I have been taking Praluent since last week of December, 2015. It is a great medicine in lowering LDL very very significantly from 123 to 29 and total cholesterol from 200 to 88 . My HDL increased significantly from 23 to 37-42. Only side effect I have is some pain in my body possibly in the bones?? All enzymes and metabolic parameters are normal."

Karkour (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab) for High Cholesterol: "46 year old UK male; slim, above average fitness, eats well. Tried 3 different statins with same intolerable brain fog, muscle pains and palpitations over a 3 year period. 1st injection: mild muscle pains in my back, cold legs and feet, morning glory, a little brain fog, looser stools. 2nd injection: similar effects to the 1st but 50% less strong, except the morning glory and looser stools. 3rd injection: mild brain fog for an hour (starting about 2 hours after taking), cold feet, looser stools still. Not had bloods tested yet, but if LDL comes down I'd be very happy to stay on Praluent based on these minor side effects. Very hopeful about this convenient statin alternative."

JK_UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017