User Reviews for Alirocumab to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Praluent

Alirocumab has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 72 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol. 43% of those users who reviewed Alirocumab reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Alirocumab Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Alirocumab

Undetermined · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 24, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab): “I’ve been using Pralent for approx. a year. I’ve experienced the leg pain, at the most. My cholesterol was 500 plus. This medicine has dropped it to 271! I know that’s still extremely high but, it lowered it extremely! I haven’t noticed runny nose, nausea, constipation, excessive heart rate, or increase in blood pressure with this medicine. Reading the reviews has answered my questions about the leg and back pain I’m experiencing. I also have headaches, I feel comes from this medicine. I just hope and pray one day we all will find the miracle cure! Until then, stay healthy n happy!❤️❤️❤️”

Big Cat 58yrs old · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2021

Praluent (alirocumab): “Had my first heart attack at 41yrs old had 4 more ended up with 2 open heart bypass surgery’s my cholesterol was off the chart 80 mg of statins did little to nothing. Repatha was prescribed 4 days after the first injection I was bed ridden for 5 days, hands, hips, neck, shoulder, lower back and knees all frozen, I couldn’t move without pain. Was switched to Praluent and worse effects. I’ve been in construction for 40 years and now I can’t provide for my family But my numbers have never been better but I will never inject again”

Lancelot · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2021

“Been taking alirocumab for approximately 2 years. This medicine is really very effective as it helped lower my LDL levels by 50%. Used to have really bad LDL levels, but I'm glad Alirocumab helped. However, one thing that I'm concerned about is, is the side effect. Ever since I took alirocumab, I would have runny nose and cough. However, it is still tolerable. I hope that researchers can improve this drug by reducing such side effects. Overall, I'd give alirocumab a 8/10. Love it.”

Return Review · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I thought I would follow up on my initial review that I left several weeks ago to give some that are having a bad reaction like myself some hope. I literally couldn't stand for more than a few minutes I was so weak. I had no core strength, no strength in my legs and then my arms. I lost my dexterity in my hands. Had a bad cough, my heart was beating wildly...etc. All these side effects started to dissipate approximately 2 months after my last dose. I am almost back to full strength. As my cough started to go away, all my strength started coming back and my heart beats calmed down. This stuff Praluent is insane. I will never take another one of these injectables again. The good news is that I'm about 90% better. Everyone leaves these comments stating that they are really in trouble on this, but never follow up. For two months I thought I was toast....I'm writing to let others know I'm almost back to normal - 2 months of a living nightmare. It still gets a one rating.”

Beanie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “Had GREAT results from using the Pralulent for 6 weeks but the flu-like symptoms got worse after every injection (did the every other week). My numbers were fantastic but I decided it wasn't worth it. My doctor convinced me to try it but only once a month. Had my first shot four days ago and so far only a stuffy nose. Maybe for those having issues changing to only once per month would be a good compromise.”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I have Myasthenia Gravis and Praluent initially flared my condition within 3 days of taking this, this has subsided several weeks later. With respect to side effects, I have neck, shoulder, back and leg pain, cramping, nausea, severely fatigued and I mean severely, weakness in legs and finally can't leave out the cough. I had a similar reaction to Repatha. I thought I would give Praluent a go. Half life is super long 17 - 20 days....so, this will be fun. There's no way I will continue this. It's amazing how FDA could pass this stuff. I would like to sift through the clinical trial data....the real data.”

Pickle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “Took this for a month and a half and my pcp told me to stop. I made trips to my gynecologist thinking my problems were related to my estrogen then to med Express for sinus issues and the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. ER could not find anything. I had aches and pains. Could hardly walk due to stiffness in ankles and leg pain. Heart palpitations and chest cramps. Trouble swallowing and the feeling of having stuck in my throat. Sweats and vision blurring. I had been off my blood pressure meds for 2yrs and had to start taking them again. I've been off of it for about a month and still have chest cramps and something stuck in throat. I may not like statin drugs but with CoQ10 I can manage them. Never taking this med again. I would rather die.”

63 yr old April 3, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “Have strong family history of heart disease. Have had several stents placed. Have high BP and cholesterol. Statins made me have severe muscle issues most noticeable in my feet. Cardiologist had me try Repatha and I had severe muscle pains, cough, leg swelling. Changed to Praluent with two injections done and same thing. Now have severe pain in hands and unable to do fine dexterity movements with one hand. I will not take this injection again to see if symptoms subside. If this medication is causing the symptoms, beware before you take the drug. My next plan of ways to lower cholesterol will be more of natural treatments. Has anyone had success with this?”

Gav · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I read a lot of negative comments on line about Praluent and quite frankly the potential side effects were pretty scarey to read. I've just taken my 2nd injection and can honestly say its been fine. The injection itself doesn't hurt at all and I haven't had any significant side effects, positive or negative. After each injection I have felt a bit lethargic but nothing to worry about. I'm sure those people who experience negative responses to this drug are experiencing real issues but for me its been fine.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “I started Pralulent 75 mg in June 2019 due to my high cholesterol 270 and LDL 191. I’m female, in my early 60s and normal weight. It was recommended since I am allergic to statins and had muscle and joint pain from statins. I was so hoping the Pralulent would work for me. I didn’t have any issue with the injection but a day after both times I took the shot my muscle and joint pain was awful. I could not sleep due to the pain and even my stomach and ribs ached. My CAD showed 143 with calcification in my descending artery. I’m nervous about having a heart attack or stroke but don’t think I can continue these shots if I am so debilitated afterwards. My doctor wants me to try Repatha but after reading the side effects and reviews it sounds even worse. I may just have to try watching me diet. I really don’t know what to do. My cardiologist is surprised that I reacted to this drug.”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I have been taking it for about 5 months. It lowered my cholesterol but the pain I have in my hips and bones are not worth it can hardly walk the pain is unbearable. They say it takes 3 months to get out of your body. Can't take anything without side effects.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “79 year old male 10 days ago had one injection Praluent 150mg, within 24 hours right shoulder, back pain. Constant severe pain first week could only sleep on my back, Up many times during night pain so severe. Four days after went to primary doctor, got anti-inflammatory medicine, steroid injection which did nothing. Seven days after injection severe pain in right shoulder, went to ER received cortisone injection, got minor relief few hours. Now 13 days after injection pain in right shoulder still bad, with minor moments of reduced pain. Hopefully with time ?? I also cannot forget runny nose,cramps in legs, very weak as well.”

Rando · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “Horrible drug. If you think you have any kind of immune system issues, do not take this drug Praluent. I have been dealing with Lyme disease issues for years but have had it under control. One dosage of this drug triggered some kind of auto immune response and my Lyme symptoms came back. It’s been six months and I still feel like rubbish every day. Manufactured denied anything is wrong with drug.”

Mike June 12, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “I've had my 2nd injection @ 150mg dose last week. Don't know my numbers yet but the side effects are identical to when I started Crestor drug. My whole body hurts, hard to walk very far without severe muscle pain. Can't sleep because of muscle pain. I feel like death warmed over. Last dose for me.”

Unhappy in Huntley · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “So I have been on Praluent for a month. I was previously on Repatha doing great, however my insurance doesn't want to pay for that and made me switch. 2nd dose now have UTI, muscle pain and daily headaches. I go to my doctor in 2 weeks and see if I can go back to Repatha. I thought from the reviews they are the same however theses side effects are telling otherwise. Btw both give me stuffy nose but I can live with that one. The other side effects were what I had being on statins and this is the low dose of Praluent.”

MissyJ · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “I am 63 yr old female with type 2 diabetes. I can't tolerate statins..tried Repatha and after 3rd shot got severe back pain. I had heard about Praluent so tried that and after 1 injection I had severe nausea and vomiting, headache, sore throat and back pain on right side only. Going back to doc tomorrow because of feeling so bad. Safe to say there won't be a 2nd injection. Hope this leaves my system quickly”

kenjam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “I was on Repatha for years with no problems. Insurance provider stopped coverage, but offered coverage for Praluent. Out of pocket cost to me for three month supply of .75mg every two weeks is $720.00. Taken it twice. Sore in mouth, lower back pain, and weak legs to go with overall feeling of tiredness/weakness. Biggest concern is that my blood pressure and pulse have gone off the scale, which is something I did not previously experience and seem incapable of bringing it down regardless what I do. Always had excellent numbers without medication. Had Afib three times in a two-day period. To put it mildly, I have severe reservations the plus side of this medication is worth the side effects. Life without quality seems to be lacking in the basic tenant.”

arcey October 8, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab): “I am a heart patient. I’ve had one heart attack and another one milder one a year ago. I have taken two injections with not too many noticeable side effects. Maybe some isolated aches and pains and maybe a little tightness in my chest. After the 1st week of the second injection. I checked my BP 169/95, checked again the 2nd day. 159/99. Way too high for a heart patient! Then it goes down too low. 95/69 etc. I have done reported this to the FDA. I don’t need this. I called my doc and was told by a nurse to increase my BP meds but I told them NO!. Not till I talk to my regular heart doc and primary care doc in person. I’m done with this med for now. If I am going to die I would rather die from not taking this med. If I die from taking this med, what’s the point? I don’t think a long range study on side effects from this med has been done. It hasn’t been out long enough.”

Uniquetta June 23, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “This is an update to my April 29th comments. My numbers are great vs. last December, 2019: cholesterol overall: 153 vs. 250 HDL: 65 vs. 56 LDL: 67 vs. 162 Triglycerides: 107 vs. 160 Side effects: Frequent muscle spasms; shorter in duration than muscle cramps, occurred during daily activity. Bend to tie my sneaker; spasm in my butt. Stretch to clasp on my bra; spasm in my midriff. These have subsided somewhat. I still have the same kinds of excruciating thigh/muscle cramps at night that I got on statins. The big difference is they aren't as bad or long lasting. I still get cramps in my feet and the calves of my legs but, again, not as bad. My feet get sore and tired when I take my walks, which never happened 3-4 months ago. Overall I would say if these side effects don't get any worse I will likely continue on the drug. The outstanding results for my cholesterol are worth it, since I have cardiovascular risks, as well.”

Jw · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “Horrible. It has been 6 days since I could function. Severe neck & sinus pain. Arms so tired I can barely lift them. No fever. Bronchial pain & short of breath. Dr said wait it out. Wait 3 weeks before next dose. There will NOT be another dose.”

CM February 18, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I was on a statin for several years, but in 2015 I had to have 2 stents put in. When cardiologist increased the statin I had side effects so had to stop it. She urged me to try Praluent saying it had little to no side effects. After 4 doses I got a UTI that didn't respond to the usual antibiotics and I ended up in hospitals for stronger antibiotics. Then a few weeks later I developed pain in my neck muscles that got so bad it woke me up, also had pain in hips and legs. Been off the medication for 3 weeks and symptoms have all but disappeared. Only good thing was my collateral went down almost 100 points.”

EDB · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 10, 2017

Praluent (alirocumab): “I started taking this drug in Dec 2015 w/amazing results! Within a few months however I noticed I was feeling ill and had sore muscles particularly in my upper legs, and bc I am a devoted walker, 3-5 miles per day, I began to wonder if it could be the Praluent. My Dr informed me that he had not heard if problems do I continued to take it. In May this year a problem arose with ins/availability of this drug for me. Bc I was forced to stay off it for a month, all of a sudden I began to feel better! I mean all tiredness, fatigue, muscle pain were just simply gone! When offered the meds again I have refused. I was really really sick from this medicine. This is my own experience. Since then I have read a lot of blogs where others have exp same”

Bazzle October 12, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab): “I'm a 64 yr old male. I have had 2 MI (heart attacks)... first at age 46, the second at age 61 which resulted in me having a CABGX3 (Coronary artery bypass graft surgery - three grafts. I have been taking 75mg Praluent for about 5 months at twice monthly injections. Over the last few injections I have noticed a slight increase in muscle pain in legs and lower back. I also feel pain and discomfort in abdominal area. Anyone notice abdominal discomfort as well?”

Crono · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “Switched from repatha to praulent due to insurance. I injected first of the month. Now after 2 Er Visits and a bunch of prednisone, it's finally starting to leave my body. To recap. The next day I felt like I got hit with the flu and had no energy and felt like crap, shorty after my whole face, fingers and feet blew up and I has covered in hives, from head to toe. I'm a day done with my steroids and the hives are already coming back. Not as bad, but enough to be bothersome, especially during bed time. If you have any sensitivity to statins, I highly suggest you stay away.”

Gaige2 January 25, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “Hello I just got approved to use Praluent . I've had it for 4 days now. I'm too nervous to do the injection. So I've been reading all the comments that are helpful. The question I'm looking for does anyone know the size of the needle pls as I'm horrified of all needles pls???”

Melly · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

Praluent (alirocumab): “I'm a 53 yes old female, I've had two heart attacks back in 2015. Also diabetic and other chronic illness. My doctor prescribed this medication about four months ago, at first I didn't take it something made me weary. I don't tolerate statins. Just this week took my third dose. The side effects are horrible the pain is unbearable. My memory is a mess. I can't literally hold a cup in my hands. Lower back pain, legs are weak if I move an arm it feels like it's being broken , my shoulders hurt my neck hurts, literally I'm not able to function at all. I will not take this medication ever again calling my doctor tomorrow and letting him know, that I'm practically in pain 24/7. I refuse to be this ill.”

NeutronSolstice · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2019

Praluent (alirocumab): “3rd month at 150mg/month to 300mg/month. Some side effects sore muscles joints for a day or two. Nothing too bad see what happens after increase. When on Statins there is no sore muscles joints for a day or two it's all the time. This drug is much better. Going to once a month dosing so am only sore or sick 2 or 3 days out of the month. Not a bad trade off if you ask me.”

PE · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

Praluent (alirocumab): “I started taking Praluent in January 2020. A few weeks in I had an awful UTI. Never ever had one before. It was miserable. Then six weeks later had another UTI. Only thing new was the Praluent. I started looking into the side effects and see that was a highlighted side effect. As I read more on this drug I see it may be causing the fatigue and pain in my lower back and pelvic area. I told my doctor I wasn’t going to continue. This was a last option as I have severe side effects from everything else we have tried. I did have blood work the other day and my numbers were lower but triglycerides were still high.”