User Reviews for Lovastatin

Also known as: Altocor, Altoprev, Mevacor

Learn more about Lovastatin.

High Cholesterol, Fa...ial Heterozygous 3 reviews 16 medications

6.7
High Cholesterol 10 reviews 49 medications

6.4
Summary of Lovastatin reviews 13 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Lovastatin

For High Cholesterol: "10th day in of taking this, woke up to severe muscle pain in both legs, shoulder hand and wrist, now at 3 wk mark. Still in pain have been using a walker to get around, showing slight improvement, how long does this take to get back to normal, it's been horrible."

gig1327 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Two pills almost killed me. Left me bedridden for a week. I couldn't even lift my arm to call 911. After 5 days, managed to call my doctor. They dismissed my symptoms. I hadn't drank or urinated for days. When I finally did, my pee was Brown (this stuff destroyed your muscles). I will NEVER take another statin as long as I live."

Peter Abbott July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Started out fine but after 3 weeks I started to experience sharp pains in my chest and abdomen. Still need to see doctor."

Can't take it (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "cool"

reelab21 November 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "switched from lip.to lov.when i retired and lost my drug plan.blood work is the same with either drug .no side effects so far have been using it for 6 yrs."

icebreakerist (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: "This worked better than Lipitor. I changed due to cost and my blood work is beyond excellent. I've had no adverse side effects. "

Zanesgrammy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Constipation is my number one problem. I drink 8oz of prune juice every other day and the problem is 100% solved."

Horsecreeker March 30, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Lowered cholesterol about 65% as well as Lipitor. Had eventual adverse effects after 1.5 years of use. Caused extreme joint and muscle tendon pain in the fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, thighs and knees. This was with the typical starting dosage for Mevacor. Lipitor has NOT had any side effects for me in over a decade of use. Different statins have different effects on different individuals, but Mevacor's side effects were crippling for me until I discontinued use. About a year later, I began 20 mg of Lipitor."

wwaldok November 1, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Altoprev (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I have never had any major side effects with this medicine. I would say it is probably the best on the market, though it is expensive. When I was on another medication related to statins my eyes were RED, and they hurt. My heart ached and I felt like my days were numbed. I asked my doctor to switch me back to Altoprev and I am back to normal, full of energy, my eyes are clear and the heart pains went away. I highly recommend this to anyone suffering from high cholesterol."

Anonymous March 2, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Has caused chronic pain, muscle cramps, loss of muscle. "

Holtz February 28, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I used this Statin for almost a year (20mg/day), didn't work for me (my total was 266-275). "

hakush June 29, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mevacor (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have been on lovastatin for many years. I started with Mevacor and then tried later statins, but seemed to experience minor muscle aches from the newer ones and I requested to stay on lovastatin. "

tyler57 August 13, 2008

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Altoprev (lovastatin) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Altoprev is the ONLY statin drug I can tolerate. It is due to the timed-release of the drug over 24 hours. I do not recieve that whopping dose of the drug all at once. However, my ins. Rx. coverage wil not cover it. I do not get to take it regularly, due to fixed income. It is 160.00 a month. But this is the drug for me and I get it filled about every other month. "

misspapaw May 5, 2008