User Reviews for Lovastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Altoprev Altocor

Lovastatin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Lovastatin

Russ · Taken for 10 years or more April 18, 2018

“I have taken 20mg lovastatin for over 25 years. Wondering if I really needed it, so stopped taking it for 6 months last year and blood work was all bad: Chol 196 to 243 HDL 52 to 49 LDL 106 to 145 Trig 188 to 246 All of the above varied very little during the 25+ years on the drug, so back on it for nearly a year and looking forward to next blood work. Also, never experienced any side effects that I'm aware of.”

Janette T. January 2, 2018

“I've lost 25lbs. in the past 6 months. The weekend after Thanksgiving I got a strange pain in my stomach and threw up, felt sick for the next 2 days so I thought I had the flu. I never really did get my appetite back. The day after Christmas the same pain came back, which made me throw up 10 times worse. I am now due for my physical, but that is why I was asking, since I lost weight, would 20mg lovastatin be making me sick?”

gig1327 · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2017

“10th day in of taking this, woke up to severe muscle pain in both legs, shoulder hand and wrist, now at 3 wk mark. Still in pain have been using a walker to get around, showing slight improvement, how long does this take to get back to normal, it's been horrible.”

Peter Abbott July 12, 2017

“Two pills almost killed me. Left me bedridden for a week. I couldn't even lift my arm to call 911. After 5 days, managed to call my doctor. They dismissed my symptoms. I hadn't drank or urinated for days. When I finally did, my pee was Brown (this stuff destroyed your muscles). I will NEVER take another statin as long as I live.”

Can't take it · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2015

“Started out fine but after 3 weeks I started to experience sharp pains in my chest and abdomen. Still need to see doctor.”

reelab21 November 23, 2015

“cool”

icebreakerist · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 7, 2015

“switched from lip.to lov.when i retired and lost my drug plan.blood work is the same with either drug .no side effects so far have been using it for 6 yrs.”

Zanesgrammy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2014

Mevacor (lovastatin): “This worked better than Lipitor. I changed due to cost and my blood work is beyond excellent. I've had no adverse side effects. ”

Horsecreeker March 30, 2012

“Constipation is my number one problem. I drink 8oz of prune juice every other day and the problem is 100% solved.”

wwaldok November 1, 2011

Mevacor (lovastatin): “Lowered cholesterol about 65% as well as Lipitor. Had eventual adverse effects after 1.5 years of use. Caused extreme joint and muscle tendon pain in the fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, thighs and knees. This was with the typical starting dosage for Mevacor. Lipitor has NOT had any side effects for me in over a decade of use. Different statins have different effects on different individuals, but Mevacor's side effects were crippling for me until I discontinued use. About a year later, I began 20 mg of Lipitor.”

Anonymous March 2, 2011

Altoprev (lovastatin): “I have never had any major side effects with this medicine. I would say it is probably the best on the market, though it is expensive. When I was on another medication related to statins my eyes were RED, and they hurt. My heart ached and I felt like my days were numbed. I asked my doctor to switch me back to Altoprev and I am back to normal, full of energy, my eyes are clear and the heart pains went away. I highly recommend this to anyone suffering from high cholesterol.”

Holtz February 28, 2011

“Has caused chronic pain, muscle cramps, loss of muscle. ”