User Reviews for Colestipol

Also known as: Colestid, Colestid Flavored

Colestipol has an average rating of 1.7 out of 10 from a total of 4 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Hyperlipoproteinemia
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIb, Elevated LDL VLDL
Summary of Colestipol reviews 1.7 4 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Rio · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2021

“I take colestipol for chronic diarrhea after gallbladder removal. Increased frequency of taking 1 gm Colestipol tablets has resulted in normal bowel movements. Started with 2/day, then 3/day, now 4/day resulting in normal BM without constipation. 5 year experience post cholecystectomy”

StarChaser · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2021

“Dr. put me on this colestipol to help with diarrhea caused by Crohn's disease. Apparently she's had luck with other patients. It actually increased the bowel movements, caused debilitating cramping, nausea, and shot my blood pressure through the roof. I told her that I'd rather deal with the diarrhea. It may help some people but for me it was horrendous.”

SurvivingIt · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 27, 2021

Colestid (colestipol): “I was on Crohn's meds for decades. Telling my old GI about yellow runny and sometimes painfully acidic bowel motions didn't point him to any other diagnosis than Crohn's Disease. Because of a move, I needed to change to a GI specialist that came to my small city. Her nurse practitioner put me on Colestid and the change has been amazing. Stools no longer bright yellow. Stools firmer and about half what they were without it. Although previous surgeries have made it that my digestion will never be normal, it has certainly helped me. Plus no liver damage caused by it. I rate it 10 out if 10.”

KK March 25, 2019

“This drug vastly improves my quality of life. After having my gallbladder removed, at 22, I developed severe pain & frequent diarrhea after eating. Common in young people with cholecystectomy The surgeon prescribed the powdered & sugar-free formulation of this. I don’t tolerate aspartame, so it did not help. Opiates helped pain, since they constipate you, it helped me. Lost my insurance, couldn’t afford doc. Issues returned. In 2011, I had an appendectomy. The surgeon recognized the problem of bile acid diarrhea after the cholecystectomy and Said 'colestipol will help'. I have not continuously taken it since. A high fiber diet, works quite well to prevent the bile dumping issues. I had to go back on this, after I developed a partial small bowel obstruction, a consequence of the initial surgery & autoimmune issues (Hoshimoto’s Thyroiditis). You will need to drink a lot of water, and I keep stool softener on hand. I’ll gladly accept this, over the utter inconvenience of remaining with in dashing distance of a bathroom.”

Don · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2018

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I hate this medication. It makes me feel like absolutely garbage I'm online now trying to find something different that won't make me feel like this. I hope there's an answer from someone. Medication shouldn't make you feel bad. It should help you feel better.”

Chub January 20, 2021

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I can't take statins. Have been on so many different meds to try & control cholesterol. I watch my diet, exercise. How in the world can something make you feel this crummy? Horrible medication. It also messed up my thyroid medication. Double whammy! Horrible.”

'Booper' · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2017

Colestid Flavored (colestipol) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: “Have been taking colestipol granules for years because I can't take Statins...today 2.9.17 have been told by my chemist that they are out of manufacture ( The firm Alliance was mentioned).Need to follow this up with my GP”

Shelsbellz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 25, 2020

“colestipol is a lifesaver for me for IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diarrhea) I had tried drug after drug, no relief from IBS-D. Colestipol works”

Marlene November 16, 2019

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIb, Elevated LDL VLDL: “This drug is very dangerous and makes you have to take other drugs to function half normal. Still have the diarrhea but can't take the other bile binders due to fishers, hemmorroids etc,,, ”