User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIb, Elevated LDL VLDL 1 reviews 30 medications
Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 8.8 154 reviews

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Grateful June 5, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “About eight years ago I got chronic diarrhea for no apparent reason but I thought it would go away. It didn't. I finally relented and saw a doctor who put me through the usual 'elimination of other problems' testing and announced I had IBS-D largely because I had all the symptoms and nothing else was the matter with me. There is no clear cause and there is no cure, and there is no real treatment. He prescribed Cholestyramine and told me some success is found using it. It worked in just a few days. I could leave the house. If I quit using it, I had to stay within three long strides of a bathroom like before. And then one day, months and months later, I felt different for some reason and I stopped using Cholestyramine. I was well again! That was two years ago and last week IBS-D returned with a grudge. I'm back on the powder and under control again, already. My preferred way to take it is twice a day with four to five ounces of Cranberry juice well shaken.”

queenie · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Cholestyramine has been helpful in controlling diarrhea after gall bladder surgery. However, there is a difference in the product manufactured by different companies. I prefer Par Pharmaceuticals. It seems to dissolve better. Sandoz is O.K. but product made by Cadila Healthcare Ltd. and distributed by Zydus is not acceptable. It contains phenylalanine and is too sweet. The texture is different, very gritty and feels different when you swallow it.”

Happily ever after · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Love this medicine..after years of gallbladder and diarrhea problems finally had gallbladder removed and still continued to be bathroom bound. My Dr. Put me on this medicine cholestryramine and I fell in love. I finally could eat what I wanted and enjoy life again without constant stomach problem..”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have Crohn’s Disease, IBS-D, had a bowel resection, gallbladder removed, diagnosed with lactose intolerance and have a hiatal hernia. I had issues after having my gallbladder removed in 2018. I started using cholestyramine almost a year ago. It’s been a life changer! Highly recommended for those suffering!”

Jamm0069 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “If you have IBS-D and do not take this medication (if you can) you don't know what you're missing....as in getting your life back! After gall bladder surgery I developed IBS-D. Waited as my doctor went through everything else it could be as he did his charting. He diagnosed it and then put me on the Cholestyramine Powder to take in the morning and at night before bed. My symptoms immediately improved and I got my life back.....didn't have to be close to a bathroom at all times. I find it's best to take it with diet or non-diet Ginger Ale...put it in the bottle with about 3-4 ozs and shake really well....makes it foam up and goes down more easily! Good Luck!!!!!!”

Ajay · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

For Dumping Syndrome: “I took cholestyramine after my gall bladder was removed and at first it was great for dumping syndrome. Then ALL the side effects hit. Abdominal cramping, rectal bleeding, etc; it even made me have a period for 2 weeks. It took a month for my body to recollect itself after I stopped taking it. I know this helps a lot of people but it didn't help me.”

danielrosehill · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “I was prescribed this medication for bile reflux gastritis which began shortly after my gallbladder surgery six months ago. The medicine seems to help a little and I have no issues with the taste or texture — it's really not that bad! However, after taking the medication, and lasting until the next day, I feel weak and shaky —particularly in my biceps and quads. I found this absolutely terrifying until I thought that perhaps it was a side effect from the medication I had just started. Sure enough, after stopping the Questran it stopped. And whenever the gastritis gets bad enough that I have to go back on it it comes back. I'm going to have to do blood tests and mention this to my doctor but it's a serious bummer. (I understand that this mediation can interfere with our electrolyte balance and deplete magnesium and potassium so that is my best guess at the moment for what might be going on when I take it!)”

Gege · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I find if you mix cholestyramine well with orange Gatorade and water and plenty of ice. It covers the taste and the grittiness. I’m able to drink it with my my meals 3 times a day.”

BG April 5, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “I had my gall bladder out when I was 19. For 30 years I dealt with bile diarrhea. All doctors said it was IBS. Then my daughter had her gall bladder out. She had same problem doctors prescribed prevlate (sp). So I asked my physician for it. It worked, but I hated doing the powder. After years I researched and found pill form choestrymine. It works perfectly 2 - 600 mg each night and I can eat what I want and my bowels are normal as clock work! Wish I had it 30 years ago!”

Bubbles101 March 23, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “I shared my experience at the beginning in June 2019. I am back to comment. This drug damaged my muscles permanently and the damage will not stop even after taking drug. Be careful as this drug works like a statin drug and statin drugs cause muscle damage. I was a healthy active woman and now need to use a wheelchair. It is wrong that this side effect isn’t given. ANY lipid lowering medication has the potential to ruin muscles.”

Bigbird · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Hi my diarrhea started 2 years after gallbladder removal, had so many tests nothing came up, so trialling Questran for the last two months it definitely helps somewhat, I take at night for morning diarrhea. Wondering if it would be better taking in morning , did anyone else’s diarrhea start awhile after removal?”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started taking this about 6 months ago and the changes are significant. I even told my specialist that I have found my INSULIN!!!!!! I cannot go a day without it. I have had many accidents in the past- even not getting from my kitchen to my ensuite in time - but since being on this I have not had ONE single incident. Previously I had also gave up working/ going out etc as if I didn't know where the nearest toilet was I panicked. The only problem is now that it has been in short supply for months - does anyone know where else I can get it - I AM DESPERATE!!”

Shazza · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “I have been taking this medication cholestyramine for 20 years once a day. It has improved my quality of life 100%. Finding it very difficult to get in Australia now and have been told nothing else like it in the market. Extremely worried about what this will do to me.”

Happy 2019 unhappy 2020 February 12, 2020

Questran Light (cholestyramine): “I've been told Australia can't get questran light so I'm scared of my future with out it ,will not be able to work & being close to a toilet ,why is this happening?”

Happy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Four years ago I developed chronic diarrhea and 2 years ago I became house bound as I had to stay close to a bathroom. I only made it to doctors appointments by not eating for two hours before and taking 3 or 4 imodium . Three doctors later and several scopings top and bottom showed nothing. Finally a gastro specialist prescribed olestyr (cholestyramine) one packet in the morning. It took the urgency out of going. We increased the dose to 2x a day and I started having regular movements. I still have a few trigger foods that cause a problem but a single imodium keeps me good for 12 hours. I am no longer under "house arrest" and am enjoying going out for the day.”

Shubair February 5, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “I have severe IBS constant diarrhea after 2 days using questran I can live a normal life I can go out without having to be near a bathroom it has saved my life”

John · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 4, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Have had a right hemicolectomy and then several ops for bowel obstruction so missing the terminal ileum and bile acids don’t get absorbed. The cholestyramine 3 times daily makes diarrhea manageable, usually only in the mornings. Without it have bile stained motions all day, often with little warning, and can’t really go out anywhere safely. Hoping it doesn’t go out of production as my life would become very difficult.”

Sue · Taken for 10 years or more January 31, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’ve been on first Questran then Colestyramine for spastic bowel syndrome , a form of IBS, since the mid 1990’s. I first took it with Metamucil and always at night time. After taking it for 25 years, 1) I realized Metamucil is a softener and stopped that right away 2) realized that it needs to be taken with food , to allow for absorption. Things are much better now since making the changes. I still have the odd bad day, but I’m 100% better than I was. I noticed over time my weight fluctuates and find it hard to lose . My hair is also getting thinner which I never attributed to this medicine. I’ll be on this the rest of my life but I figure if it works then I’m fine with that. I just wish my hair would stop thinning!”

Buzz January 17, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “This has been a life saver for me!!!”

APS121 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had my gall bladder out in 2012. About 6 months after I developed IBS-d like symptoms. Cramping, diarrhea within an hour after eating. It was completely unpredictable and not diet dependent and I suffered for about 3 years, until one day I almost didn’t make it to the restroom at work. My doc prescribed cholestyramine and after one dose of this medication, I was back to normal. It’s amazing and I can’t live without it. If I miss a dose, I know about it the next day. And because it’s a cholesterol maintenance drug, a 90 day supply costs me nothing out of pocket under my plan.”

Valint · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2020

For Dumping Syndrome: “The medication cholestyramine has saved me from staying at home - after my total colon removal. After my surgery, I would go 12 - 13 times a day, but now I take 4 gm with 4 ounces of OJ, three times a day and I'm able to travel where ever I want. I'm a little worried because I have gain weight, but I will have to work on that. Let just say, when I got out of the hospital in May 2019, I was drinking 4 oz of Imodium every four hours, I was eating four fiber gummies, and eating mash potatoes. Now I take Cholestyramine three times a day and I'm good to go.”

Nic December 17, 2019

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “This medication cholestyramine has been the only medication to give me a normal life. without diarrhea. Without it I can't eat, I can't go out and I get severe diarrhea. On days I get flare ups but nothing without it, since my gallbladder removal I suffered terribly however I'm in the UK and I can't order it to my pharmacy lately as this medicine is limited. I've been having panic attacks about this as I can't live normally without it. The UK need to sort it out and order more in as I don't know what my future holds without this medicine.”

JER · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 8, 2019

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Terrific, think every body who had gall bladder removed should be alerted to cholestyramine this life changing option if you have diarrhea after gall bladder surgery My gut was a mess, a year of regularity now.”

maggie rose December 8, 2019

For Dumping Syndrome: “After Nissan fundoplication surgery dumping syndrome resulted in a very poor quality of life, lasting several years, until discovering this medication cholestyramine. Life is TOTALLY normal now. I do not take, or seem to need, the full dose required by those taking it for high cholesterol. Do not know the mechanics of how it works except that it somehow absorbs cholesterol from food in the intestines. I always take it after the evening meal. Am amazed I had to do so much research to find a cure for my problem of dumping syndrome. I have a very good doctor, he was aware of the product, but did not know it would cure my problem, was fine with me trying it, and said it would be safe to take. I have had no negative side effects. Easy to use powder that mixes in liquid well. Prescription needed, a little pricy, but has been a miracle to me!!!!”

Sass · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “The zydus mfg brand of cholestyramine is undrinkable...I recommend the Sandoz mfg. Been using 30 years and tried the Zydus mfg. Disgusting”