User Reviews for Cholestyramine systemic

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Prevalite, Questran, ...show all 9 brand namesQuestran Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Questran Light Packets, Prevalite Packets, Questran Packets

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction

1 review 44 medications
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 8.9 103 reviews

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm so glad my doctor prescribed this, it changed my life. I can now leave my house without fear of having to find a bathroom at a moment's notice or embarrass myself when visiting friends or family. I still have to watch what I eat since certain foods affect my symptoms still, but before taking this it was absolutely EVERYTHING I ate."

Stargazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis after 4 months of diarrhea with no other symptoms. A colonoscopy with many biopsies was conclusive for 'collagenous'. I have been taking cholestyramine (Olestyr brand) for 3 weeks. 2 packs a day. It has worked. I have a tip for those who find the powder difficult to take. I use a small half glass of water to mix the powder, then use 2 straws to quickly get it down. If I position the straws to the back of my mouth, I can swallow it and it bypasses most of my taste buds and my teeth. I then drink a large glass of water - 750 ml - again with the straws, and I'm careful to thoroughly rinse the back of my throat, as the tingly sensation tends to linger. Any product that can damage tooth enamel can't be good for the lining of my mouth and throat either. I then brush my teeth. I'm happy with this product so far but hopeful for a remission. Good luck and thanks to all who have shared their stories on this forum."

learning to cope November 13, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "After having my gall bladder removed over a dozen years ago, I had daily constant uncontrollable diarrhea, always after eating; greasy or not. I never scheduled dinner then a movie or theatre, it always HAD to be dinner last, so I could immediately head home to my bathroom, or have to locate one onsite. Just tremendously embarrassing and inconvenient. I put up with this miserable condition for over 6 years until my partner saw a documentary on TV that recommended Cholestyramine as a treatment. It has very much allowed me to return to my prior lifestyle. However if I skip one day, I am back to the constant D again. I have found the Sandoz product does not work as well as the PAR Pharmeceuticals powder. My pharmacy can no longer get the PAR product, am getting ready to try a 3rd option made by ANI Pharmaceuticals. I find dissolving the powder in very hot water help to minimizer the gritty texture and gross taste. After reading recommendations, I will try mixing it into applesauce."

Dodge (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have suffered for year with stomach pain and after every meal needing to go to the bathroom. I did have my gallbladder removed and that didn’t help made things worse. I had no life my poor family was suffering with me they knew we couldn’t go out to eat everything had to be brought home. I never wanted to go anywhere I finally had enough when my son was graduating I sat there for hours in fear of needing to go and missing such a special moment. I had seen different doctors they always gave me different medications that never worked I finally saw a GI doctor had a colonoscopy done. He came and told me that I was going to live life again and he was right this medicine has done just that I’m not missing out. It’s been a little weird getting use to being normal and having my life back the first couple of days I took 2 packs but I only need one in the morning I can even skip a day and I’m still okay. I haven’t had any side effects make sure to brush your teeth right after"

Val October 16, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "I have fecal incontinence and this powder has saved my life and job. I take 1 scoop per day and limit large meals but I still eat pretty much what I want. I do try and eat healthy most of the time. I can work without fear of ruining my clothes and I don't have to live in fear when I go shopping or fly to other states. No more loose stools unless I'm on a strong antibiotic or I have an upset stomach from eating contaminated food from a restaurant. You never know unless you grow your food or prepare it yourself."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. About 5 years ago I started getting severe diarrhea and after several tests was diagnosed with IBS-D. I adjusted my diet, took a lot of Imodium, Bentyl. etc. Imodium helped but I had to take a lot of it. About a year ago, the doctor prescribed cholestyramine. He said to take it 3 times a day but that was too much. I only take one envelope a day mixed with some unsweetened applesauce. Then I drink a glass of water. What a life-saver. I feel normal again and can actually leave the house."

Feeling normal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I had my gallbladder removed in April 2018. Since that day I have had severe diarrhea, nausea, major cramping in stomach, dizziness, and major weight loss. The only thing I could eat was flavored rice which I have eaten for months. I contacted the surgeon who told me he didn't do anything wrong! He never has tried to do any tests or offer any advice on what to do. I changed my general practitioner, she is a nurse practitioner and she ran tons of labwork. All the labwork was normal. She told me about cholestrymine but told me most insurances won't pay for it. I asked her to try anyways. I went to pharmacy to pick up other meds and my insurance company covered it!!! I have been using it daily 2 times a day and all of the symptoms are gone!! I am very happy!! Thank goodness for my nurse practitioner!! Shame on the surgeon who got paid for the surgery and couldn't be bothered to handle the side effects of his work!"

Emmie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder removed back in 2005. Since then, I had lived over a toilet. Constant nausea and bloating. At least 3 times a day I felt as if I were going to vomit, followed by bloating. Dizziness and instant fatigue. I went in to my doctor and finally explained all this and was prescribed two packets of cholestyramine a day. To be honest, I had read all of the information about this med and it scared me and decided not to take it. A couple weeks ago I woke up and felt like I was going to vomit from early morning until around 10pm. I had never experienced that and it resulted in me laying in bed all day sick. So, I decided to try it and MY GOODNESS IT HAS SAVED ME. No more bloating, no more running to the bathroom. I can go out to dinner and not frantically look for a bathroom! I only have to go to the restroom once a day and that's it. I have to say though if a dose is missed, there is hell to pay (ie back to how I used to live). I was advised to take two packets but am fine with one packet a day."

Ceecee September 14, 2018

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I suffered from morning diarrhea up to 3-4 bouts after eating and drinking coffee for breakfast. I found cutting out the coffee lessened the intensity, I think caffeine stimulates the bile production but I love my coffee. My doctor told me for years I could control my problem with a high fiber diet, wrong!. I finally confronted him with a medical article about Cholestyramine and he agreed to put me on it. My insurance covers all generics. My symptoms have cleared up but I am still trying to fine tune timing and dosage in order to be consistent between loose and constipated stools. Reading the comments here have given me a few ideas to try. Maybe earlier in the morning. I tried two doses (evening & morning) and it was too much, but one dose in morning not quite enough. Any ideas???"

Selluwud (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Did not have gall bladder removal, but have IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome- diarrhea) and dumping...have had for many years, and travel and socialization, plus career, have been rocky obstacle courses at best. Excellent doctor suggested cholestramine and I'm down to a couple teaspoons a day. I now get to plan my day, instead of Crabby Gut having the final say! Hurrah!"

Maddogmom (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 25, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "When I was about 20-21 I really started have IBS-D issues, it runs in the family. Was afraid to eat out after 6pm especially on a date or something. If I did, I was bathroom mapping like Google Maps BEFORE Google Maps. My Gastro gave Cholestyramine to me for the first time when I was about 38. Wow, what a difference. Took me a while to get the right sequence but I learned to take it at least 1 hour or a little more before going out to eat a heavy dinner in the evening. After that, no IBS-D issues, no more explosive problems. It has probably postponed me from having to have my gall bladder removed like many others in my family. Since it has some cholesterol benefits I don't see why keeping my organs and lowering my cholesterol is bad.. I don't take it every night, just when I know I am going out for a heavy dinner meal.. It's nice to have on hand! hope this helps others..."

Crash (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder out in 1992 and since then had bad diarrhea. I knew where every bathroom was in 15 miles. I hated going out to eat or trips. 10 years later I had to change meds for insurance purposes. I was telling my Dr about the diarrhea he put me on Questrian. I take 1/2 teaspoon in water twice a day and it has been like a miracle drug for me. If I miss one dose I pay for it - not to say I don’t have flare ups - but I can now live. Thank you"

Vickie (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Prevalite has been a great experience this far. It's only been a week@ and I have made a complete turn around. I have suffered for years with IBS-Diarrhea and have had constant diarrhea as soon as I ate something. This has completely stopped that along with the stomach pains."

Relief (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "After gallbladder surgery 2006 had constant diarrhea yellow bile & upper right side pain, lost 18 lbs in few weeks. Knew I was going to die. Diagnosed with problems with Sphincter of Oddi muscle that regulates bile flow. Can happen after gallbladder surgery. Tried dozens of meds. Changed family doctors, my new one put me on Cholestramine Light & immediately stopped cramps and diarrhea!! I took it for months, then was able to stop. I still would take a dose if a flare up. THIS SAVED MY LIFE!!! Unfortunately I started diarrhea and side pain again. I started back on the Cholestermine Light. Has not worked as well, SEVERE LEG AND FEET MUSCLE CRAMPS! They last forever, feels like limb is being ripped off. Smaller cramps while sleeping. Can happen when older. I was 58 then & now 70. Breaks my heart. THIS IS A MIRACLE DRUG. PLEASE TRY IT."

REB (taken for 10 years or more) June 16, 2018

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "I used Questran Light for 2 years, one pouch/day at 3 PM. I was not aware that it should not stay in touch with the teeth for a long time. The Cholestyramine completlely damaged my teeth, causing rapid decay in almost all my teeth. Cholestyramine is an ion exchange resin, taking certain minerals in the resin. Many teeth had to be extracted and the others had extensive restoration work. My dentist said that it was impossible to just have such extensive decay, even if I would've been negligent on brushing. Oh how I would've liked to know to vigorously rinse out the cholestyramine suspension sticking on my teeth RIGHT AFTER ingestion. I also would have brushed my teeth RIGHT AFTER this rinsing of my mouth, not during the evening, it's too long a time. My suggestion: rinse out the remaining suspension very well right after ingestion and right after, gently brush your teeth with toothpaste."

Eugene June 14, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Cholestryamine packets. Great stuff, I only take one packet per day first thing in the morning 1/2 hour before eating. Huge tip here--mix it with lemon lime Powerade or Gatorade. It is like snot mixed with orange juice and other such liquids. After much experimentation the lemon lime is great. Makes it amazingly palatable. Also, stirring much more than you might think to do helps it not be so gritty. If you have ever tried this stuff and quit due to the unpalatability you have to try this. I tried about 24 liquids first. Also don't forget it isn't good for your teeth so rinse your mouth afterwards with water or better still clean your teeth especially if you feel any has stuck to them. GLTA!"

Nodelusions (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I m 50 years old. I just had my colonoscopy done due to a two months severe diarrhea attack. The procedure images came out to be nothing wrong. But I am still waiting for the biopsy result from the procedure. The GI Dr prescribed me to take 1 scoop of the Cholestyramine before bed time. I see my stool instantly formed in shape the next morning. The only problem now I am facing is constantly hunger (approx 2-3hrs needs to eat). Shaky hands. My left hand yesterday was actually swinging on it’s own which I think due to muscle cramp. This could result in unbalance of electrolytes. Vitamins deficiency will causing you to feel weak and fatigue . Vitamins: B12, potassium, magnesium, vitamin k , and more. Make sure you monitor closely on your vitamins level when using this drug with your doctor. Best to take supplement along with this drug. Good luck!"

Mon50 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The Best! I can now go outside my home with reasonable confidence. As long as I watch what I eat and stay to small portion meals all is well. So very grateful to my gastroenterologist who prescribed this for me. It's a lifestyle changer."

Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started this. Have had IBS diarrhea for as long as I can recall, but has always been controllable with lomotil. Was diagnosed with SIBO this summer, and it's been slowly downhill from there. I'm only on day 3 of Questran, but so far so good! I'm hopeful!!"

Sickandtired (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "About 1 year ago I started to have chronic diarrhea it would come and it would go and eventually it just plain overtook my life. ow with cholestyramine I am now having regular formed stools. Where has this drug been all my life? is how I think every day."

Julieb March 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 55 and have had stomach issues since my early twenties. It became worse after my ileum resection. I've been a prisoner of the bathroom for so long, avoiding outings and trips, having many embarrassing "accidents" stories. Well, it got so bad that I had severe diarrhea for 3 months straight and couldn't eat anything. After many tests and visits to different doctors, a miracle happens and its name is Cholestyramine. It made me wonder why was it kept a secret for so long? I have such a happy life now! I can eat salad and vegetables, I can drink coffee, and so many other things that used to bother my stomach! I just have to go easy on whole wheats and lactose. Bathroom? Once or twice a day, that's it! The only side effect I've had was when I used one whole packet. I had a severe headache every time I took it. I'm down to 1/2 and I'm fine. Thank you to the doctor who prescribed it!"

LivingLifeAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago. Prior to that, suffered from bouts of diarrhea and constipation for almost 20 years. About a year and a half ago, I started having horrible cramps, uncontrollable diarrhea, the worst ever. I thought it was anxiety or something worse. GI diagnosed in 1 minute as bile dumping syndrome. I've been playing with skipping the pm packet, depending on where I am and what I'm eating. Had some constipation issues once or twice, so keep adjusting. Plan to discuss how to take and keep things moving properly. This drug has saved my life! I could not go anywhere, forget dating, without knowing exactly where the restrooms were, take long car trips with friends, travel. Just depressing. I really wish more general MD's knew about this. The final month before I saw the GI was excruciating and the fix was so simple!"

Juju216 February 9, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Before and after gallbladder removal I was unable to eat without knowing where the closest restroom was. I was afraid to do anything like traveling, driving long distance or going anywhere with big crowds where there may be a line for the restroom. I was completely miserable and lived my life planning where the nearest restroom was. I went to the doctor to get some anxiety medication for an upcoming business trip and just by chance she said I could try this medication. One packet a day in the morning and I am totally normal. Don’t live in fear try this it works! I drink it with an orange mango juice and you can’t even taste it or feel the grittiness."

Notafraidanymore February 9, 2018

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "i hope this helps just started today"

krogger February 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine changed my life I am a 63-year-old female who has suffered from IBS-D since I was 20 years old - this medicine is the only thing I have used consistently for the past year and I have had no flareups. If I miss one dose, the next day I’m back to being as bad as I was before I started taking it. So-it is not a cure, but it is wonderful. Just want to know why it took 43 years for a doctor to prescribe. I can go out to eat I can go to the mall I can go for a car ride without the fear of having to find a bathroom YAHOOOO!"

Deewohl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2018