User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 58 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Hi, I've had EPIC D for 3 or 4 years and finally about 1 1/2 years ago was given Questran, which is amzing! But, like some of the other posts I've read it doesn't seem to be completely effective, I started on three doses a day but that seemed too much. Also, the original Doc who prescribed didn't tell me whether to take before or after the meal! He retired and the Doc that replaced him hasn't told me either, but about six months ago I read (somewhere on the web) you're suppose to take it 45 minutes before eating. Anyone have any thoughts about that? A pharmacist told me to take it right before I eat. Also, I'm on Creon - a digestive enzyme for pancreatic insufficiency"

Bunny444 November 27, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "After having emergency gall bladder removal, I started having constant diahrrea. Unannounced, uncontrollable and awful. I went to doctor and was given Questran. After day one I never had any more problems. He said I would have to take it the rest of my life. Surely not,, because it costs $95.00 a can for 45 days. No side effects. If I get to feeling constipated, i stay off for one day and stay home near the bathroom."

Corine77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with IBS-D almost 40 yrs ago. I've suffered and suffered all my life. About 10 yes ago I 'discovered' immodium which helped some for several years. I'd been taking it plus Bentyl for the past year but it seldom helped. I read about cholestyramine in forums, I already knew I had gallstones. So light bulb went off in my head and I realized my problem was likely bile acid malabsorbtion, at last for the past 5 yrs or longer. An awesome Physicians Assistant at nearby clinic read up about it and gave me a prescription for it. Saved my damn life I tell ya! There's 42 full scoop doses in a canister, which costs $35 (I don't have ins). But I only need to take 1/3-1/4 scoop a s day and some days I can even skip a dose. A lifesaver!!"

AmeliaBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

For Dumping Syndrome: "I too had my gallbladder out 15 years ago and immediately following removal gained 30lbs in three months and had constant loose bowels (dumping syndrome). My doctor had told me the weight gain was because I was now able to eat. His comment annoyed me. It just wasn't true. I knew it had to be something more than that. I had never been over weight before and my digestion just seemed so out of wack. I stayed away from the doctor and tried my own things. Diet, exercise...nothing worked. 10 years later I went to a new woman Dr. and she prescribed Cholestyramine. It works great. I take it 1 x per day. What I do notice however, is it must be taken with a lot of water or I will get heartburn. If I skip a dose my problem returns immediately."

ranngib September 20, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Great drug and works like a charm. The only problem I found is it depletes your magnesium and potassium and I got muscle cramps so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. Even was rushed to hospital. The said, no heart attack. Finally, I figured it out on my own eleminating things because all the doctors wanted to do was push more drugs on me. Cannot take the drug. I have had part of my large colon removed due to Diverticulitis and then gall bladder surgery as well as adhesion removal surgery. For those that are able to take it, I highly recommend it."

shortcircuit2 September 16, 2016

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I developed a rash all over my back and shoulders i also had dizzy turns. I became constipated and the pain from passing motions was worse than my original bouts of constabt diarohea"

chrissy250 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have been using Cholestyramine powder for over three years now. I take it first thing in the morning with 6 oz. of water. I now have one normal movement what a relief. I ran out and missed a day and was back to cramps and running to the restroom. It has been an absolute lifesaver for me."

Lynnw61 August 28, 2016

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It's very effective for bowel problems and reduced my pain to zero most of the time."

Mike10613 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 25, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The only problem I have is my bowels are not solid yet. I may need to take two does but they said to do the one packet first for awhile. After I drink it my stomach gurgles like crazy and still have a lot gas at night but the doctor said it could take time. No idea why my stomach gurgles after drinking the solution. I just put it in very cold water and down it goes. Make sure you brush your teeth afterwards."

Miata1950 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was on dicyclomine for about 2 years after having my gallbladder removed and barely worked, I was taking it before every meal but still experienced extreme cramping. One week with cholestyramine and all my symptoms vanished. It was absolutely amazing. I've been taking it for about 7 months and haven't had any problems since!"

Megan2293 July 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Has worked extremely well since started, only reason for a 9 is eating too soon causes exhaustion and makes me go into a deep sleep for a couple hours. The pros outweigh the cons and I'm glad I can really eat my favorite foods again."

tj449 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Had gallbladder removed suffered with diarrhea.. friend said her doctor put her on Cholestyramine for same problem..I suggested to my MD and he wrote Rx..My life is back to normal! I take 1/2 packett in the morning other half before dinner..I can eat anything and no looking for a bathroom..I take it in apple juice..Have to make frequent dental appts .Be sure to brush after taking.."

Foreversaturday (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I've been suffering with terrible diarrhea after gallbladder removal surgery for 4months. This surgery and diarrhea have made me lose over 40 pounds thus far & taken my appetite. I've take levsin, lomotil, and those medications only helped somewhat with the terrible cramping I had and the Lomotil would make me get constipation some days, and other days the same dosage did nothing to help the terrible dumping syndrome symptoms. I was prescribed the orange flavored pkts. Twice before my heaviest meals. I'm not immediately dumping my meals like I previously was & my appetite is returning. Big win for me! I'm still fine tuning my dosage, and having some diarrhea so I can't give a 10."

HeatherJ78 July 9, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I started taking this medication about a month ago. Works fine, but I take it with water, and then go,brush my teeth. Now I feel like I have little ulcer like rash on the upper inside of my lip. No one told me this could happen. "

Jmpowell June 24, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had chronic diarrhea for the last 26 years. I have tried many, many different medicines, but none helped me except this. I cannot believe how good I feel now. My whole life consisted of knowing where the next bathroom was. I was prescribed to take this 2x a day. The following day after starting it, my diarrhea has stopped completely!! I am now starting my second month on the medication and I have had no side effects and absolutly no problems. I sure wish I had this many years ago."

Tom 463 May 11, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder removed in 2009 and after that I had diarrhea after the first thing I ate for seven year I never went out to eat I never went out without knowing Where a bathroom was I never ate on road trip their would be days Where I didn't even wanna eat cuz I new I would be in the bathroom. So two days ago I was reading all these stories and they sounded just like me so I talk to my doc she prescribed me this medicIne and now I actually feel like my old self again"

coville May 1, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Has worked extremely well and I am very happy with it. Many seem to have problems with taking this gritty insoluble product. I mix it with Gatorade using a frother. This is a device used to froth milk for coffee drinks. It disperses all clumping and grittiness is minimal. I found mine on Amazon after considering an immersion blender. Hope this helps."

Au fait (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was taking Lotronex for years for IBS and had a colonoscopy a couple years ago and that dr gave me cholestyramine 2 times daily mixed in oj. It has worked wonders."

turtle333 April 6, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "One dose a day brought me immediately back to normal. Previously I had been experiencing daily severe diarrhea post op for 6 months."

Lynnedowney (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Reading so many of everyone's experiences reminded me of so many of my own horrible memories. Never wanting to go out to eat, having to take an IMODIUM before and after eating out, looking for the bathrooms at each stop just in case, NEVER wanting to go too far out away from the house, road trips were horrible and my job requires a lot of driving, lots of abdominal pain and sometimes having to do a lot of cleaning up. When I first started taking this I actually stopped after about 2 weeks because the normal BM's and lack of abdominal pain I confused with constipation...it was such a different, weird feeling to be normal. I am back on it and once again am getting the relief I got in the beginning."

happyfamily911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gall bladder taken out over 10 years ago and only in the last 2 years problems started. Acid reflux and diarrhea. This medication has given my life back to me. I wish doctors knew about it. It took an amazing specialist doctor to recommend it I'm very thankful. I wish more people with IBS knew about this."

Newlife100 February 5, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "Suffering from Crohn's disease for the past 15 years. Participated freely with new medicine testing, all tests failed, condition decreased. In 2013 infected bowel section was removed, finally. Still problems, cramps, diarrhea. Then Cholestiramine came around the corner. Since then no Crohn symptoms any more, only one very rare occasions. Very happy now with Cholestiramine, life is back to normal as much as possible "

Dutch guest January 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Allows me to be a normal person, not searching for a rest room every minute of the day."

jacquest September 25, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Glad my doctor decided to try this medicine because it has been a life saver for me! The only problem is remembering to mix up the powder every night. I wish this came in pill form. For those who are having trouble with the taste, or drinking it, I put it in 2 tbsp. of applesauce and mix it really well. It changes the flavor of the applesauce slightly, but it's not as gross as trying to drink it in water."

dbf September 3, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I have been taking this product since the mid 1980s To help control my Crohn's disease symptoms. Works well and I have had no adverse reactions. Great control of diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramps"

dkchas (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2015