User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Prevalite Cholestyramine Light

Cholestyramine has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 211 ratings on Drugs.com. 85% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 8% reported a negative experience.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome  Off-label
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIb, Elevated LDL VLDL
Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 8.7 211 reviews

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Amazed · Taken for less than 1 month · April 17, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been dealing with IBS-D for 22 years. I was taking immodium like candy for each dose to only last 4 hours or less. I know where every bathroom is because I was going 7-8 times a day. I've lost relationships, and starting having anxiety about eating because I knew I'd be running to the bathroom before I even finished. 2 days ago I broke down and went to yet another GI Dr. She started me on the 4 mg cholestyramine powder. Took it for the first time yesterday. I went out to eat yesterday evening expecting to run. I did not!! Wasn't expecting it to work for a few weeks. I will gladly deal with the chalky taste if I can actually be"normal". Where was this 22 years ago lol Can't comment on side effects... only on day 2.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years · May 2, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have Crohn’s Disease, IBS-D, had a bowel resection, gallbladder removed, diagnosed with lactose intolerance and have a hiatal hernia. I had issues after having my gallbladder removed in 2018. I started using cholestyramine almost a year ago. It’s been a life changer! Highly recommended for those suffering!”

Grateful · June 5, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “About eight years ago I got chronic diarrhea for no apparent reason but I thought it would go away. It didn't. I finally relented and saw a doctor who put me through the usual 'elimination of other problems' testing and announced I had IBS-D largely because I had all the symptoms and nothing else was the matter with me. There is no clear cause and there is no cure, and there is no real treatment. He prescribed Cholestyramine and told me some success is found using it. It worked in just a few days. I could leave the house. If I quit using it, I had to stay within three long strides of a bathroom like before. And then one day, months and months later, I felt different for some reason and I stopped using Cholestyramine. I was well again! That was two years ago and last week IBS-D returned with a grudge. I'm back on the powder and under control again, already. My preferred way to take it is twice a day with four to five ounces of Cranberry juice well shaken.”

Anonymous dude · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 29, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have an undiagnosed bowel disease, I literally couldn't eat ANYTHING without it triggering my bowels to release like a dam breaking...but with this stuff I can't believe it! I drink a couple pinches of it in a coffee cup of cold water right before I eat and nothing happens, now I have one to two normal bowel movements instead of 5 to 7. Whatever was wrong with me affected my work, married life and being a parent, I couldn't even go hunting or fishing. But now I live a normal life, albeit I MAYBE have 1 episode a month”

Idaho Native · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 24, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’m 43 and I’ve had terrible IBS-D since I was 10. It’s impacted every aspect of my life. I had tried everything and honestly had given up. After reading an article about this drug - I decided to give it a chance because the symptoms matched mine. My primary doctor was fine sending me an RX. I took two doses as prescribed and my life immediately changed. After 33 years of misery -of diarrhea taking the cholestyramine I have a completely normal bowel system. No joke. It’s been a true miracle for me. I take 16gs a day and I live a completely normal life.”

Jamm0069 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 30, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “If you have IBS-D and do not take this medication (if you can) you don't know what you're missing....as in getting your life back! After gall bladder surgery I developed IBS-D. Waited as my doctor went through everything else it could be as he did his charting. He diagnosed it and then put me on the Cholestyramine Powder to take in the morning and at night before bed. My symptoms immediately improved and I got my life back.....didn't have to be close to a bathroom at all times. I find it's best to take it with diet or non-diet Ginger Ale...put it in the bottle with about 3-4 ozs and shake really well....makes it foam up and goes down more easily! Good Luck!!!!!!”

Happy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 9, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Four years ago I developed chronic diarrhea and 2 years ago I became house bound as I had to stay close to a bathroom. I only made it to doctors appointments by not eating for two hours before and taking 3 or 4 imodium . Three doctors later and several scopings top and bottom showed nothing. Finally a gastro specialist prescribed olestyr (cholestyramine) one packet in the morning. It took the urgency out of going. We increased the dose to 2x a day and I started having regular movements. I still have a few trigger foods that cause a problem but a single imodium keeps me good for 12 hours. I am no longer under "house arrest" and am enjoying going out for the day.”

Jo · November 26, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I suffer from IBS-D since I'm a kid. Since I'm not big on taking meds, I've lived with it and tried to accept the limitations that IBS brings to your life. After spending my wedding night in pain and diarrhea, I've decided it was enough of that and started to search for a solution. I ended up reading all these reviews about Cholestyramine for IBS-D and asked a prescription to my doctor. Now, at 58 yo, I started Olestyr once a day and IT CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I wish my gastro doc. would've prescribed it to me before. For the first time in my life, I can eat what I want, go to restaurant without rushing back home in major cramps. Thank you all for taking the time to write reviews on this forum!”

Bramleygal · Taken for less than 1 month · July 22, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This drug has totally given me my life back. Before this I was popping Immodiums like candy just to maintain a normal life but I was still always nervous about going anywhere. Would not dissolve in liquid but putting it in the blender made it palatable. Could not be more thankful for this drug. It’s been over three weeks with no issues whatsoever.”

Varj · October 30, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Had stomach and bowel issues since my teen years.. unpredictable and no warnings.. tests done.. nothing found.. had gall bladder removed in my early 60’s and made stomach and bowel issues ten times worse. Started taking Prevalite (cholestyramine) 1 pack a day and I can finally eat without cramping and bowel issues within two hours after eating. I take in morning with orange juice. I notice a little bloating but nothing else..if I miss a dose the diarrhea comes back with a vengeance. I drink plenty of fluid to prevent constipation. This medication has changed my life. I’m 69 so if I need to take it the rest of my life it’s okay. It’s better than being bathroom bound!”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month · October 16, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was diagnosed with IBS-D after I had my gallbladder removed. 2 years later, medications, diet change, and the “telling me it’s stress related..mind body connection “. My doctor FINALLY said WHAT I’ve been saying BAM (bile acid malabsorption). He prescribed cholestyramine. It’s only been 2 days and I notice some difference. I’m hoping this works, I want a life!!!”

Tom 463 · May 11, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had chronic diarrhea for the last 26 years. I have tried many, many different medicines, but none helped me except this. I cannot believe how good I feel now. My whole life consisted of knowing where the next bathroom was. I was prescribed to take this 2x a day. The following day after starting it, my diarrhea has stopped completely!! I am now starting my second month on the medication and I have had no side effects and absolutly no problems. I sure wish I had this many years ago.”

Val · October 16, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have suffered for year with stomach pain and after every meal needing to go to the bathroom. I did have my gallbladder removed and that didn’t help made things worse. I had no life my poor family was suffering with me they knew we couldn’t go out to eat everything had to be brought home. I never wanted to go anywhere I finally had enough when my son was graduating I sat there for hours in fear of needing to go and missing such a special moment. I had seen different doctors they always gave me different medications that never worked I finally saw a GI doctor had a colonoscopy done. He came and told me that I was going to live life again and he was right this medicine has done just that I’m not missing out. It’s been a little weird getting use to being normal and having my life back the first couple of days I took 2 packs but I only need one in the morning I can even skip a day and I’m still okay. I haven’t had any side effects make sure to brush your teeth right after”

Taffy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 3, 2019

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “This has been a life changer. I had what was diagnosed as IBS since 1993 and nothing, nothing helped. Suffered through 5 colonoscopies, participated in drug trials, changed my diet, went vegetarian. Lived on Immodium. Nothing helped. I finally changed my gastro doc and after the ultrasound she ordered showed gall stones I had it removed, and then had even worse diarrhea for weeks. My surgeon prescribed the powder packets which my insurance covers and I take 1 in the morning with a squirt of cherry flavor enhancer. I am normal for the first time in over 25 years!!! I can go out to lunch and dinner. I can travel. I can live a life again. Cholestyramine is nothing less than a miracle for me, it has cured my IBS diarrhea ”

Bigbird · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 12, 2020

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Hi my diarrhea started 2 years after gallbladder removal, had so many tests nothing came up, so trialling Questran for the last two months it definitely helps somewhat, I take at night for morning diarrhea. Wondering if it would be better taking in morning , did anyone else’s diarrhea start awhile after removal?”

Sweets · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 22, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started using this in June of this year after having chronic diarrhea for 5 plus years. This helped me after one use. I have issues with bloating and gas and have noticed hair loss. But I have gone from 70 lbs 1 year ago to 90 lbs today. I mix it with 2T of orange Metamucil in a large glass. Starting with a small amount of water and then adding more water slowly. I also put about a 1/4 cup of orange juice with it. I feel for the others with chronic diarrhea. I didn't think it was a life worth living either. I wish you all the best”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · March 2, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started taking this about 6 months ago and the changes are significant. I even told my specialist that I have found my INSULIN!!!!!! I cannot go a day without it. I have had many accidents in the past- even not getting from my kitchen to my ensuite in time - but since being on this I have not had ONE single incident. Previously I had also gave up working/ going out etc as if I didn't know where the nearest toilet was I panicked. The only problem is now that it has been in short supply for months - does anyone know where else I can get it - I AM DESPERATE!!”

MMK · Taken for less than 1 month · October 12, 2019

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: “Been on this Prevalite (cholestyramine powder) for a couple weeks and overall working great for my diarrhea (IBS- Post Gallbladder removal- diarrhea dominant). I think I need to up my dose as I tend to get diarrhea around the time I'm due to take my daily dose. Absolutely no complaints about taking the medicine. Just tastes like weak orange drink with a little grit. I would do anything to get rid of my diarrhea so complaining about the medicine is futile-like other reviews. My biggest complaint is why 25 years after I have my gallbladder removed and diarrhea started I am JUST NOW being told I should have been on this all along for its bile binding purpose.”

Smitty42 · June 18, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “USMC vet that was in the Persian Gulf, Nothing I have taken has stopped me from going to bathroom 6-7 times a day, plus I have had terrible stomach pains, Bad enough to send me to the Hospital. This was something I thought I was just going to have to live with. After 1 dose of Cholestyramine I noticed a huge change. I now have solid bowel movements, and only go 2-3 time in the morning. This medicine has been a miracle for me. No side effects and I have gone 4 weeks with no stomach pain. I take the medication once a day at 3:00PM.”

Feeling normal · Taken for 1 to 2 years · September 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. About 5 years ago I started getting severe diarrhea and after several tests was diagnosed with IBS-D. I adjusted my diet, took a lot of Imodium, Bentyl. etc. Imodium helped but I had to take a lot of it. About a year ago, the doctor prescribed cholestyramine. He said to take it 3 times a day but that was too much. I only take one envelope a day mixed with some unsweetened applesauce. Then I drink a glass of water. What a life-saver. I feel normal again and can actually leave the house.”

EZ · Taken for 1 to 2 years · June 9, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been dealing with IBS for 3 years. Diarrhea was a major factor in my going to my GI doctor along with acute stomach pain. First I went in for upper GI scope which found gastritis, so got meds for that. Eventually my diarrhea worsened. Back in for both colonoscopy and upper GI which found IBS. Doctor put me on cholestyramine and immediately the diarrhea subsided along with the stomach cramps. I stopped using the cholestyramine for about a year until I had prostate cancer and prostate removal. Following that surgery my IBS returned. Severely. I started up the cholestyramine again and boom it works great. It seems like this medication does have other positive affects. Hopefully it continues to work.”

happyfamily911 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Reading so many of everyone's experiences reminded me of so many of my own horrible memories. Never wanting to go out to eat, having to take an IMODIUM before and after eating out, looking for the bathrooms at each stop just in case, NEVER wanting to go too far out away from the house, road trips were horrible and my job requires a lot of driving, lots of abdominal pain and sometimes having to do a lot of cleaning up. When I first started taking this I actually stopped after about 2 weeks because the normal BM's and lack of abdominal pain I confused with constipation...it was such a different, weird feeling to be normal. I am back on it and once again am getting the relief I got in the beginning.”

Grateful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 18, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I am so grateful for this medicine (cholestyramine). I had my gallbladder taken out about 9 years ago. Suffered with stomach problems too long. I finally called a specialist and he prescribed it to me and I got results quick. It took away my constant diarrhea and anxiety that comes with it. My GI doctor told me to take one 4oz packet before bed every night making sure I rinse my mouth real good and brush my teeth. I mix it real well with a whisk with room temperature water. I highly recommend it!”

Deb · September 10, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had IBS-D for over 2 years and in the end I had to quit my job. I have had 5 doctors upper GI, lower GI and finally my nurse prat diagnosed me with IBS. I was on welchol for year it worked perfect !!! Then it stopped working :( Took cholestyramine for 3 weeks as my doctor prescribed for that amount of time and it didn't work. I have to run to bathroom 14 times daily every day for past 2 months now not left the house . This is no way for any one to live .”

Stargazer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · December 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I'm so glad my doctor prescribed this, it changed my life. I can now leave my house without fear of having to find a bathroom at a moment's notice or embarrass myself when visiting friends or family. I still have to watch what I eat since certain foods affect my symptoms still, but before taking this it was absolutely EVERYTHING I ate.”