User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction

1 review 44 medications
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 8.8 90 reviews

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "I used Questran Light for 2 years, one pouch/day at 3 PM. I was not aware that it should not stay in touch with the teeth for a long time. The Cholestyramine completlely damaged my teeth, causing rapid decay in almost all my teeth. Cholestyramine is an ion exchange resin, taking certain minerals in the resin. Many teeth had to be extracted and the others had extensive restoration work. My dentist said that it was impossible to just have such extensive decay, even if I would've been negligent on brushing. Oh how I would've liked to know to vigorously rinse out the cholestyramine suspension sticking on my teeth RIGHT AFTER ingestion. I also would have brushed my teeth RIGHT AFTER this rinsing of my mouth, not during the evening, it's too long a time. My suggestion: rinse out the remaining suspension very well right after ingestion and right after, gently brush your teeth with toothpaste."

Eugene June 14, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Cholestryamine packets. Great stuff, I only take one packet per day first thing in the morning 1/2 hour before eating. Huge tip here--mix it with lemon lime Powerade or Gatorade. It is like snot mixed with orange juice and other such liquids. After much experimentation the lemon lime is great. Makes it amazingly palatable. Also, stirring much more than you might think to do helps it not be so gritty. If you have ever tried this stuff and quit due to the unpalatability you have to try this. I tried about 24 liquids first. Also don't forget it isn't good for your teeth so rinse your mouth afterwards with water or better still clean your teeth especially if you feel any has stuck to them. GLTA!"

Nodelusions (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I m 50 years old. I just had my colonoscopy done due to a two months severe diarrhea attack. The procedure images came out to be nothing wrong. But I am still waiting for the biopsy result from the procedure. The GI Dr prescribed me to take 1 scoop of the Cholestyramine before bed time. I see my stool instantly formed in shape the next morning. The only problem now I am facing is constantly hunger (approx 2-3hrs needs to eat). Shaky hands. My left hand yesterday was actually swinging on it’s own which I think due to muscle cramp. This could result in unbalance of electrolytes. Vitamins deficiency will causing you to feel weak and fatigue . Vitamins: B12, potassium, magnesium, vitamin k , and more. Make sure you monitor closely on your vitamins level when using this drug with your doctor. Best to take supplement along with this drug. Good luck!"

Mon50 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The Best! I can now go outside my home with reasonable confidence. As long as I watch what I eat and stay to small portion meals all is well. So very grateful to my gastroenterologist who prescribed this for me. It's a lifestyle changer."

Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started this. Have had IBS diarrhea for as long as I can recall, but has always been controllable with lomotil. Was diagnosed with SIBO this summer, and it's been slowly downhill from there. I'm only on day 3 of Questran, but so far so good! I'm hopeful!!"

Sickandtired (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "About 1 year ago I started to have chronic diarrhea it would come and it would go and eventually it just plain overtook my life. ow with cholestyramine I am now having regular formed stools. Where has this drug been all my life? is how I think every day."

Julieb March 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 55 and have had stomach issues since my early twenties. It became worse after my ileum resection. I've been a prisoner of the bathroom for so long, avoiding outings and trips, having many embarrassing "accidents" stories. Well, it got so bad that I had severe diarrhea for 3 months straight and couldn't eat anything. After many tests and visits to different doctors, a miracle happens and its name is Cholestyramine. It made me wonder why was it kept a secret for so long? I have such a happy life now! I can eat salad and vegetables, I can drink coffee, and so many other things that used to bother my stomach! I just have to go easy on whole wheats and lactose. Bathroom? Once or twice a day, that's it! The only side effect I've had was when I used one whole packet. I had a severe headache every time I took it. I'm down to 1/2 and I'm fine. Thank you to the doctor who prescribed it!"

LivingLifeAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago. Prior to that, suffered from bouts of diarrhea and constipation for almost 20 years. About a year and a half ago, I started having horrible cramps, uncontrollable diarrhea, the worst ever. I thought it was anxiety or something worse. GI diagnosed in 1 minute as bile dumping syndrome. I've been playing with skipping the pm packet, depending on where I am and what I'm eating. Had some constipation issues once or twice, so keep adjusting. Plan to discuss how to take and keep things moving properly. This drug has saved my life! I could not go anywhere, forget dating, without knowing exactly where the restrooms were, take long car trips with friends, travel. Just depressing. I really wish more general MD's knew about this. The final month before I saw the GI was excruciating and the fix was so simple!"

Juju216 February 9, 2018

For Dumping Syndrome: "Before and after gallbladder removal I was unable to eat without knowing where the closest restroom was. I was afraid to do anything like traveling, driving long distance or going anywhere with big crowds where there may be a line for the restroom. I was completely miserable and lived my life planning where the nearest restroom was. I went to the doctor to get some anxiety medication for an upcoming business trip and just by chance she said I could try this medication. One packet a day in the morning and I am totally normal. Don’t live in fear try this it works! I drink it with an orange mango juice and you can’t even taste it or feel the grittiness."

Notafraidanymore February 9, 2018

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "i hope this helps just started today"

krogger February 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine changed my life I am a 63-year-old female who has suffered from IBS-D since I was 20 years old - this medicine is the only thing I have used consistently for the past year and I have had no flareups. If I miss one dose, the next day I’m back to being as bad as I was before I started taking it. So-it is not a cure, but it is wonderful. Just want to know why it took 43 years for a doctor to prescribe. I can go out to eat I can go to the mall I can go for a car ride without the fear of having to find a bathroom YAHOOOO!"

Deewohl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "When I was 6 years old I realized something was wrong with my stomach. Always going to the bathroom and horrible cramping. Ran all kinds of tests on me but never found anything wrong. Always blaming it on nerves cause I was little. Went through my whole life scared to death to travel or even just go out to dinner. I hardly ever ate or drank anything afraid I would have to go to the bathroom. I am 5 ft 3in and my whole life I never weighed more than 110 lbs. My life has changed after a GI specialist prescribed chloestraymne powder 4 grams drink 1 day. I can actually do things and go places with my family and I've put on some weight. Give this a try you won't regret it. Now I have to hit the gym like everyone else.:)"

No Life January 9, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I started taking this powder about 3 months ago I am up to taking 1/2 of envelope whole envelope made me constipated"

nan-say January 5, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It has been a miracle drug for me! I don’t want to exaggerate about it but it’s given me my life back. I could never venture too far from a toilet. A flight or a traffic jam would terrify me. I take one packet a day mixed with applesauce (for palatability) and I’m problem free."

Resolute555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "In addition to having IBS, my gall bladder was removed last year which reduced the amount of bile taken out in my intestines, and increased the likelihood of diarrhea. When IBS recurred recently, one packet of cholestyramine immediately improved it. A few days of it twice a day and I am back to “normal.” It is amazing!"

Susanne Dana Hill (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had stomach issues my whole life since I was very young. I've always had what I thought was IBS d. I never knew when I might have to use the bathroom and as you all know that makes it very hard to live life. Riding on airplanes we're a nightmare for me. Then 8 months ago I had my gallbladder removed. This made my diarrhea 100 times worse. My life was so stressfull, I couldn't make plans with friends because I needed to be near a toilet constantly. I've tried everything for the diarrhea but it didn't do much for me. I finally got the courage up to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy and everything was clear, my Dr proscribed me cholestyramine and it has been a dream come true , thank God I'm normal again!"

Greenenvey December 13, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Just started taking meds and I love, love it. This med may me feel like I just got my life back"

Maggipie (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Had my Gall bladder removed 12 years ago and have been using Questran on and off since. I use one packet a day in the morning and have reasonably stable BM, and stomach symptoms. I was taking it late at night for awhile but found that I was dehydrated and experiencing disturbed sleep with nightmares. Since switching to mornings, my sleep is back to normal. I don't believe it was the drug just the side effect. I also get nightmares when I binge on late night pizza with extra anchovies! I recommend this treatment to anybody who is experiencing persistant loose bowels with no fixed cause. I also love that my cholestorol levels are those of a fit 16 year old!"

Lok54 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been living with IBS-D for 10+ years and symptoms got much , much worse within the last several years. I had my gall bladder removed and tested positive for many food sensitivities. I thought I would just have to live with this the rest of my life. My Dr recently prescribed this drug and started taking it a month ago. I take it with food in the morning and with food at night mixed in a glass of water and it doesn't taste bad, it's like Tang. The results are miraculous!!! I have normal BMs, and have started eating foods I previously avoided and I've been fine!! It's still shocking to me that this works so well. I only wish I would've known about it sooner."

5Anonymousgat October 16, 2017

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "This drug has given me my social life back. Immediately after gall bladder removal (4 years ago) my digestive/bowel issues began. As soon as I ate, cramping and then uncontrollable bowel movements occurred. I was afraid to eat out in public and had several embarrasing incidences in public actually soiling myself. My life was negatively impacted. My PCP, at last, recommended Pravalite and my control over my life has returned. I take about 1/2 packet about 1/2 hour before a meal. As I usually only eat 2 meals a day...I might skip a dose or two if those meals are at home. I always carry a pack with me "just in case". Since I don't use it everyday it is very affordable and also, is covered by my insurance plan."

Happy Granny August 13, 2017

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have had explosive diarrhea after nearly every meal. Started using the powder form mixed 1 scoop with 1 cup of juice or tea. Once daily has kept me regular for the first time in years. I had gallbladder removed 25 years ago, which is the largest contributing factor to my condition. If I forget to take it for one day, I am back to diarrhea. I rarely forget."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: "Been taking 2 months for diarrhea- not helping."

Jo23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have been suffering with diarrhea in the morning; usually just the am. I had been using Prevalite (cholestyramine) but Dr suggested that I use the regular cholestyramine in the can (cheaper) rather than packets. I switched -- although they should be the same product, I am encountering more diarrhea and have increased to 3 scoops of the product a day. Any ideas ?"

GregHS June 24, 2017

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Have hard time getting the right amount to keep between diarrhea and constipation . "

Shirley Pete (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It was a great relief that it worked for me after years of going to various GIs. I like it more than the newer drugs because it is not a systemic drug, so it is less harmful over time. Strongly encourage it before using the newer medications."

WalW April 25, 2017