User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL

1 review 30 medications
Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 8.6 73 reviews

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Just started taking meds and I love, love it. This med may me feel like I just got my life back"

Maggipie (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been living with IBS-D for 10+ years and symptoms got much , much worse within the last several years. I had my gall bladder removed and tested positive for many food sensitivities. I thought I would just have to live with this the rest of my life. My Dr recently prescribed this drug and started taking it a month ago. I take it with food in the morning and with food at night mixed in a glass of water and it doesn't taste bad, it's like Tang. The results are miraculous!!! I have normal BMs, and have started eating foods I previously avoided and I've been fine!! It's still shocking to me that this works so well. I only wish I would've known about it sooner."

5Anonymousgat October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "This drug has given me my social life back. Immediately after gall bladder removal (4 years ago) my digestive/bowel issues began. As soon as I ate, cramping and then uncontrollable bowel movements occurred. I was afraid to eat out in public and had several embarrasing incidences in public actually soiling myself. My life was negatively impacted. My PCP, at last, recommended Pravalite and my control over my life has returned. I take about 1/2 packet about 1/2 hour before a meal. As I usually only eat 2 meals a day...I might skip a dose or two if those meals are at home. I always carry a pack with me "just in case". Since I don't use it everyday it is very affordable and also, is covered by my insurance plan."

Happy Granny August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have had explosive diarrhea after nearly every meal. Started using the powder form mixed 1 scoop with 1 cup of juice or tea. Once daily has kept me regular for the first time in years. I had gallbladder removed 25 years ago, which is the largest contributing factor to my condition. If I forget to take it for one day, I am back to diarrhea. I rarely forget."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease: "Been taking 2 months for diarrhea- not helping."

Jo23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have been suffering with diarrhea in the morning; usually just the am. I had been using Prevalite (cholestyramine) but Dr suggested that I use the regular cholestyramine in the can (cheaper) rather than packets. I switched -- although they should be the same product, I am encountering more diarrhea and have increased to 3 scoops of the product a day. Any ideas ?"

GregHS June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Have hard time getting the right amount to keep between diarrhea and constipation . "

Shirley Pete (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It was a great relief that it worked for me after years of going to various GIs. I like it more than the newer drugs because it is not a systemic drug, so it is less harmful over time. Strongly encourage it before using the newer medications."

WalW April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been having troubles with ibs-d symptoms for the last 10-12 years of my life (I'm only 22) about 2 years ago after I had my appendix removed it started becoming worse so I go back to my doctor for them to tell me I have gallstones a year later and my life has become extremely unbearable I can't eat, drink, or anything with out having to go to the bathroom almost immediately after. I believe I may also be lactose intolerant. But about a month ago I went to see my doctor who gave me this medicine and told me to take it 3x a day either an hour before my meal or 2 hours after. This is difficult because I also have to take a thyroid pill on an empty stomach. So most of my day I'm either waiting around to eat or to take my medicine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dumping Syndrome: "I had my gall bladder out years ago, and immediately starting having problems with severe diarrhea. For years, I always needed to know where the bathroom was wherever I went. Traveling was a nightmare. I am a teacher, and I would not eat until I was done teaching for the day because of this issue. I heard about cholestyramine and talked to my doctor, who said it was worth a try. From Day 1 taking it, the diarrhea issues were solved! I have been taking it for about 7 years, and it helped me get my life back to normal. My prescription ran out and I am having to go for a couple of days without it, and I am scared of what will happen!"

Teacher Mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Cholestyramine powder did help with the diarrhea but I felt constant pressure and felt like I had to urinate every minute. I was up every 2hrs. during the night and finally due to exhaustion I quit taking it. I had just started the second can. My worst diarrhea is in the morning so I have to get up extra early to go anywhere because I need to visit the bathroom 4-5 times during the first 2 hour's after waking up."

Green thumb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had stomach issues my entire life, complained about this to so many doctors and taken so many ineffective drugs. Finally found the right doctor who prescribed the right medication. I wish it hadn't taken so long. It's amazing to feel normal."

judy10021 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I had diarrhoea issues for years which was becoming progressively more frequent up the point where I had 6-9 episodes almost every day especially in the morning. A gastroenterologist discovered the excess bile acid in my bowel during colonoscopy and prescribed me Questran. It is not the most pleasant medicine but I am so grateful, I feel like a normal person again! Not having to be late all the time, search for toilets wherever just in case, panic when stuck in traffic... I take one sachet in the morning just before breakfast. My doctor mentioned that the best time to take it is when our body produces the acid which is very early in the morning. I have not experienced any side effects so far. Good luck to everyone."

Athina S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "For anyone that's had their gall bladder removed, you all know the pain that comes after. I was first prescribed this by accident because doctor thought I had a bile problem associated with gall bladder surgery. He precribed one scoop a day with water. It helped but I took for years and if I missed a day I felt it. A few years later went to a new doctor who knew what this was and he totally changed how and when to take. As soon as I went in to see him he had a half filled water bottle and I would fill the rest with 8 scoops. I would do this for 3 days, after that I would take 4 scoops for 4 days. It seemed crazy but it worked. After 3 days I became constipated and have never had to take again"

Cuauhxicalli (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I've been in hell for over a year after having gallbladder removed, severe diarrhea, weight loss, got down to 90 pounds, extreme abdominal pain, and nausea. I couldn't function normally. I have been on cholestyramine for two months and diarrhea is gone, still have abdominal pain, and some nausea. I now have bloating, and really bad nerve pain, muscle aches, and headache. The relentless nerve pain wakes me several times a night,and I feel like I'm being stabbed with an ice pike all over my body. In the morning my muscles are painful and weak, which makes it hard to walk. The side effects are miserable, but I can't go back to having the severe diarrhea and being afraid to get to far from the bathroom. Has anyone else had these side effects?"

T,Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Hi, I've had EPIC D for 3 or 4 years and finally about 1 1/2 years ago was given Questran, which is amzing! But, like some of the other posts I've read it doesn't seem to be completely effective, I started on three doses a day but that seemed too much. Also, the original Doc who prescribed didn't tell me whether to take before or after the meal! He retired and the Doc that replaced him hasn't told me either, but about six months ago I read (somewhere on the web) you're suppose to take it 45 minutes before eating. Anyone have any thoughts about that? A pharmacist told me to take it right before I eat. Also, I'm on Creon - a digestive enzyme for pancreatic insufficiency"

Bunny444 November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "After having emergency gall bladder removal, I started having constant diahrrea. Unannounced, uncontrollable and awful. I went to doctor and was given Questran. After day one I never had any more problems. He said I would have to take it the rest of my life. Surely not,, because it costs $95.00 a can for 45 days. No side effects. If I get to feeling constipated, i stay off for one day and stay home near the bathroom."

Corine77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with IBS-D almost 40 yrs ago. I've suffered and suffered all my life. About 10 yes ago I 'discovered' immodium which helped some for several years. I'd been taking it plus Bentyl for the past year but it seldom helped. I read about cholestyramine in forums, I already knew I had gallstones. So light bulb went off in my head and I realized my problem was likely bile acid malabsorbtion, at last for the past 5 yrs or longer. An awesome Physicians Assistant at nearby clinic read up about it and gave me a prescription for it. Saved my damn life I tell ya! There's 42 full scoop doses in a canister, which costs $35 (I don't have ins). But I only need to take 1/3-1/4 scoop a s day and some days I can even skip a dose. A lifesaver!!"

AmeliaBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dumping Syndrome: "I too had my gallbladder out 15 years ago and immediately following removal gained 30lbs in three months and had constant loose bowels (dumping syndrome). My doctor had told me the weight gain was because I was now able to eat. His comment annoyed me. It just wasn't true. I knew it had to be something more than that. I had never been over weight before and my digestion just seemed so out of wack. I stayed away from the doctor and tried my own things. Diet, exercise...nothing worked. 10 years later I went to a new woman Dr. and she prescribed Cholestyramine. It works great. I take it 1 x per day. What I do notice however, is it must be taken with a lot of water or I will get heartburn. If I skip a dose my problem returns immediately."

ranngib September 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Great drug and works like a charm. The only problem I found is it depletes your magnesium and potassium and I got muscle cramps so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. Even was rushed to hospital. The said, no heart attack. Finally, I figured it out on my own eleminating things because all the doctors wanted to do was push more drugs on me. Cannot take the drug. I have had part of my large colon removed due to Diverticulitis and then gall bladder surgery as well as adhesion removal surgery. For those that are able to take it, I highly recommend it."

shortcircuit2 September 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I developed a rash all over my back and shoulders i also had dizzy turns. I became constipated and the pain from passing motions was worse than my original bouts of constabt diarohea"

chrissy250 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have been using Cholestyramine powder for over three years now. I take it first thing in the morning with 6 oz. of water. I now have one normal movement what a relief. I ran out and missed a day and was back to cramps and running to the restroom. It has been an absolute lifesaver for me."

Lynnw61 August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It's very effective for bowel problems and reduced my pain to zero most of the time."

Mike10613 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The only problem I have is my bowels are not solid yet. I may need to take two does but they said to do the one packet first for awhile. After I drink it my stomach gurgles like crazy and still have a lot gas at night but the doctor said it could take time. No idea why my stomach gurgles after drinking the solution. I just put it in very cold water and down it goes. Make sure you brush your teeth afterwards."

Miata1950 (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was on dicyclomine for about 2 years after having my gallbladder removed and barely worked, I was taking it before every meal but still experienced extreme cramping. One week with cholestyramine and all my symptoms vanished. It was absolutely amazing. I've been taking it for about 7 months and haven't had any problems since!"

Megan2293 July 22, 2016