User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 49 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was on dicyclomine for about 2 years after having my gallbladder removed and barely worked, I was taking it before every meal but still experienced extreme cramping. One week with cholestyramine and all my symptoms vanished. It was absolutely amazing. I've been taking it for about 7 months and haven't had any problems since!"

Megan2293 July 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Has worked extremely well since started, only reason for a 9 is eating too soon causes exhaustion and makes me go into a deep sleep for a couple hours. The pros outweigh the cons and I'm glad I can really eat my favorite foods again."

tj449 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Had gallbladder removed suffered with diarrhea.. friend said her doctor put her on Cholestyramine for same problem..I suggested to my MD and he wrote Rx..My life is back to normal! I take 1/2 packett in the morning other half before dinner..I can eat anything and no looking for a bathroom..I take it in apple juice..Have to make frequent dental appts .Be sure to brush after taking.."

Foreversaturday (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I've been suffering with terrible diarrhea after gallbladder removal surgery for 4months. This surgery and diarrhea have made me lose over 40 pounds thus far & taken my appetite. I've take levsin, lomotil, and those medications only helped somewhat with the terrible cramping I had and the Lomotil would make me get constipation some days, and other days the same dosage did nothing to help the terrible dumping syndrome symptoms. I was prescribed the orange flavored pkts. Twice before my heaviest meals. I'm not immediately dumping my meals like I previously was & my appetite is returning. Big win for me! I'm still fine tuning my dosage, and having some diarrhea so I can't give a 10."

HeatherJ78 July 9, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I started taking this medication about a month ago. Works fine, but I take it with water, and then go,brush my teeth. Now I feel like I have little ulcer like rash on the upper inside of my lip. No one told me this could happen. "

Jmpowell June 24, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had chronic diarrhea for the last 26 years. I have tried many, many different medicines, but none helped me except this. I cannot believe how good I feel now. My whole life consisted of knowing where the next bathroom was. I was prescribed to take this 2x a day. The following day after starting it, my diarrhea has stopped completely!! I am now starting my second month on the medication and I have had no side effects and absolutly no problems. I sure wish I had this many years ago."

Tom 463 May 11, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder removed in 2009 and after that I had diarrhea after the first thing I ate for seven year I never went out to eat I never went out without knowing Where a bathroom was I never ate on road trip their would be days Where I didn't even wanna eat cuz I new I would be in the bathroom. So two days ago I was reading all these stories and they sounded just like me so I talk to my doc she prescribed me this medicIne and now I actually feel like my old self again"

coville May 1, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Has worked extremely well and I am very happy with it. Many seem to have problems with taking this gritty insoluble product. I mix it with Gatorade using a frother. This is a device used to froth milk for coffee drinks. It disperses all clumping and grittiness is minimal. I found mine on Amazon after considering an immersion blender. Hope this helps."

Au fait (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was taking Lotronex for years for IBS and had a colonoscopy a couple years ago and that dr gave me cholestyramine 2 times daily mixed in oj. It has worked wonders."

turtle333 April 6, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "One dose a day brought me immediately back to normal. Previously I had been experiencing daily severe diarrhea post op for 6 months."

Lynnedowney (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Reading so many of everyone's experiences reminded me of so many of my own horrible memories. Never wanting to go out to eat, having to take an IMODIUM before and after eating out, looking for the bathrooms at each stop just in case, NEVER wanting to go too far out away from the house, road trips were horrible and my job requires a lot of driving, lots of abdominal pain and sometimes having to do a lot of cleaning up. When I first started taking this I actually stopped after about 2 weeks because the normal BM's and lack of abdominal pain I confused with constipation...it was such a different, weird feeling to be normal. I am back on it and once again am getting the relief I got in the beginning."

happyfamily911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gall bladder taken out over 10 years ago and only in the last 2 years problems started. Acid reflux and diarrhea. This medication has given my life back to me. I wish doctors knew about it. It took an amazing specialist doctor to recommend it I'm very thankful. I wish more people with IBS knew about this."

Newlife100 February 5, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "Suffering from Crohn's disease for the past 15 years. Participated freely with new medicine testing, all tests failed, condition decreased. In 2013 infected bowel section was removed, finally. Still problems, cramps, diarrhea. Then Cholestiramine came around the corner. Since then no Crohn symptoms any more, only one very rare occasions. Very happy now with Cholestiramine, life is back to normal as much as possible "

Dutch guest January 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Allows me to be a normal person, not searching for a rest room every minute of the day."

jacquest September 25, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Glad my doctor decided to try this medicine because it has been a life saver for me! The only problem is remembering to mix up the powder every night. I wish this came in pill form. For those who are having trouble with the taste, or drinking it, I put it in 2 tbsp. of applesauce and mix it really well. It changes the flavor of the applesauce slightly, but it's not as gross as trying to drink it in water."

dbf September 3, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I have been taking this product since the mid 1980s To help control my Crohn's disease symptoms. Works well and I have had no adverse reactions. Great control of diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramps"

dkchas (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After suffering for seven weeks of diarrhea and undergoing over 15 tests, taking once a day a packet of this prescription powder made my diarrhea stop- a miracle!! N"

Amadora August 19, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "14 years of IBS and D, multiple colonoscopies and Doctors, I was ready to give up hope till I found this site, called family Dr. he prescribed it, I'm on my 4th day. Besides a little bloating and getting used to my new bowel habits, I'm a changed man. 43 yo. I just wished I found this sooner."

Urgent NOW ! August 9, 2015

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Mx it with Tang, it makes it much easier to drink. All you get is tang and a little grittiness. I am experiencing an inability to overeat and some resultant weight loss. i have been on it for about a month."

dixiehwyheron July 13, 2015

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Taking only one sachet per day, has resolved the diarrhea problems post op cholecystectomy, but now have haemorrhoid problem and a little bit of bloating, but these are tolerable in comparison with ruining to the loo 12 plus times a day, but am going to try a wean off it and see what happens as it is now 7 months since my op so may have settled down a bit."

Nick brick June 8, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started on the powder form of this medication. The first night I gagged on it, but managed to drink it down at around 3pm. I felt so much nausea that I wasn't sure I wanted to continue, but the next day I felt no urgency, had a normal bowel movement and felt no nausea. I slammed down the whole drink and didn't gag the following few nights. I'm so glad I didn't give up and continued to take cholestryam."

grandma giggles May 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Post gallbladder surgery 1 month. Couldn't keep any food in me whatsoever. Went down to 94 pounds and was told this wasn't normal after gallbladder removal. Dr. wanted to run tests but I did research and found Questran. My Dr. did prescribe it and it has made a big difference. I tried to stop taking it when I felt a little better, but I can't. Mosty drink lots of fluid and have fiber or you can go the other way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After removing a prolific stone producing gallbladder that was causing biliary blockages, anything I ate would basically go right through, particularly the first meal of the day. My gastro doc prescribed the Cholestryamine and bingo problem resolved. I take it every evening around 9 or 10PM, have normal stools the next day and my first meal stays put along with everything else I eat. It will not dissolve and is like drinking sand, but for me it (Prevalite) goes down easier with a glass of apple cider (not juice). The generic version made by Sandoz I find is easier to take in plain water. As a bonus this drug also reduces my cholesterol."

piccr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I am sure if it was not for this product I would not be alive today. I would for sure not have been able to do my job that demands frequent travel to difficult parts of Africa and Middle East. One problem though that surprises me is how little people that suffers from Crohn's knows about this. Why are all doctors not prescribing it. Some Doctors would rather prescribe imodium which is dangerous. The suppliers of this product should advertise it on international news channels as a service to improve quality of life. This product should also not be heavily scheduled. If headache tablets can be purchased over the counter why do we need to see a Dr for such a life changing product. It is over controlled"

Johan Jansen (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After many trips,to the GP and hospital with stomach pain and severe toilet issues I was prescribed Questran light being a ground worker sometimes no toilets close by is not a problem anymore. A great medicine. I have no side effects."

braders March 1, 2015