User Reviews for Cholestyramine to treat Crohn's Disease

Also known as: Prevalite Cholestyramine Light

Cholestyramine has an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease. 91% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Cholestyramine Rating Summary

9.3/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease.

Reviews for Cholestyramine

ladyjp · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2013

Questran (cholestyramine): “I had tried most everything for my diarrhea related to Crohn's disease. It was starting to really affect my quality of life. I could often not leave the house. My gastro. dr. recommended this powder. After the first dose, I noticed a difference. I am now able to leave the house without wearing Depends!”

SoCal Gal October 25, 2009

Prevalite (cholestyramine): “I have been taking this for three months along with Canasa suppositories with huge success. I have had extreme IBS with bleeding colon ulcers. I would be hit with sudden extreme diarrhea 20 minutes after eating anything. Sometimes I'd be hit not eating anything. Fasting was a sure way of having problems. These medicines are the first thing to work in over 10 years of suffering.”

Merv s · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2012

Questran Light (cholestyramine): “It is early days yet (under one month) since I commenced treatment with Questran but there has been marked decrease in daily bowel activity. I have had Crohn's for the past 18 years and all other medications have proved to be largely ineffective. I have been concerned about the potentially dangerous side effects that some medicines that are prescribed for this condition may have. Since starting this course of treatment, my intake of codeine and Lomotil/Imodium has been minimal. While constipation has occurred, it has been manageable. Without going down this track, with four identified strictures I was looking down the barrel of surgery. I am moderately confident that at least so far this has been a positive move.”

Johan Jansen · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 27, 2015

“I am sure if it was not for this product I would not be alive today. I would for sure not have been able to do my job that demands frequent travel to difficult parts of Africa and Middle East. One problem though that surprises me is how little people that suffers from Crohn's knows about this. Why are all doctors not prescribing it. Some Doctors would rather prescribe imodium which is dangerous. The suppliers of this product should advertise it on international news channels as a service to improve quality of life. This product should also not be heavily scheduled. If headache tablets can be purchased over the counter why do we need to see a Dr for such a life changing product. It is over controlled”

Dutch guest January 3, 2016

“Suffering from Crohn's disease for the past 15 years. Participated freely with new medicine testing, all tests failed, condition decreased. In 2013 infected bowel section was removed, finally. Still problems, cramps, diarrhea. Then Cholestiramine came around the corner. Since then no Crohn symptoms any more, only one very rare occasions. Very happy now with Cholestiramine, life is back to normal as much as possible ”

PLP · Taken for 10 years or more November 1, 2019

“I have also been taking cholestyramine since a partial bowel resection in 1996. I simply would not be able to work or function without it. Am very concerned about the fact it is getting very hard to get now and wonder what the future holds for people like me.”

Anonymous March 23, 2009

Questran Light (cholestyramine): “For me Questran is fantastic. Without it I would be too ill to leave the house.”

dkchas · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2015

“I have been taking this product since the mid 1980s To help control my Crohn's disease symptoms. Works well and I have had no adverse reactions. Great control of diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramps”

Hez King January 23, 2015

Questran Light (cholestyramine): “Have used this medication since 1987 after partial bowel resection due to Crohn's Disease. I've had no adverse reaction in all these years of taking this medication.”

Anonymous December 8, 2009

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine): “This medication works great to regulate my bowels due to Crohn's disease.”

Gspent · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

“Helping slot with loose stools. Really helps a big difference. No more diarrhea.”

Jo23 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2017

“Been taking 2 months for diarrhea- not helping.”

Bob July 15, 2021

“I've been taking this since my last resection in 2018. It's been very effective in reducing trips to the bathroom caused by bile acid malabsorption, a common crohns side effect”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease