User Reviews for Cholestyramine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Also known as: Prevalite Cholestyramine Light

Cholestyramine has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 81 ratings for the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 85% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Cholestyramine Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Amazed · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2021

“I have been dealing with IBS-D for 22 years. I was taking immodium like candy for each dose to only last 4 hours or less. I know where every bathroom is because I was going 7-8 times a day. I've lost relationships, and starting having anxiety about eating because I knew I'd be running to the bathroom before I even finished. 2 days ago I broke down and went to yet another GI Dr. She started me on the 4 mg cholestyramine powder. Took it for the first time yesterday. I went out to eat yesterday evening expecting to run. I did not!! Wasn't expecting it to work for a few weeks. I will gladly deal with the chalky taste if I can actually be"normal". Where was this 22 years ago lol Can't comment on side effects... only on day 2.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2020

“I have Crohn’s Disease, IBS-D, had a bowel resection, gallbladder removed, diagnosed with lactose intolerance and have a hiatal hernia. I had issues after having my gallbladder removed in 2018. I started using cholestyramine almost a year ago. It’s been a life changer! Highly recommended for those suffering!”

Grateful June 5, 2020

“About eight years ago I got chronic diarrhea for no apparent reason but I thought it would go away. It didn't. I finally relented and saw a doctor who put me through the usual 'elimination of other problems' testing and announced I had IBS-D largely because I had all the symptoms and nothing else was the matter with me. There is no clear cause and there is no cure, and there is no real treatment. He prescribed Cholestyramine and told me some success is found using it. It worked in just a few days. I could leave the house. If I quit using it, I had to stay within three long strides of a bathroom like before. And then one day, months and months later, I felt different for some reason and I stopped using Cholestyramine. I was well again! That was two years ago and last week IBS-D returned with a grudge. I'm back on the powder and under control again, already. My preferred way to take it is twice a day with four to five ounces of Cranberry juice well shaken.”

Anonymous dude · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2020

“I have an undiagnosed bowel disease, I literally couldn't eat ANYTHING without it triggering my bowels to release like a dam breaking...but with this stuff I can't believe it! I drink a couple pinches of it in a coffee cup of cold water right before I eat and nothing happens, now I have one to two normal bowel movements instead of 5 to 7. Whatever was wrong with me affected my work, married life and being a parent, I couldn't even go hunting or fishing. But now I live a normal life, albeit I MAYBE have 1 episode a month”

Idaho Native · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2019

“I’m 43 and I’ve had terrible IBS-D since I was 10. It’s impacted every aspect of my life. I had tried everything and honestly had given up. After reading an article about this drug - I decided to give it a chance because the symptoms matched mine. My primary doctor was fine sending me an RX. I took two doses as prescribed and my life immediately changed. After 33 years of misery -of diarrhea taking the cholestyramine I have a completely normal bowel system. No joke. It’s been a true miracle for me. I take 16gs a day and I live a completely normal life.”

Jamm0069 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

“If you have IBS-D and do not take this medication (if you can) you don't know what you're missing....as in getting your life back! After gall bladder surgery I developed IBS-D. Waited as my doctor went through everything else it could be as he did his charting. He diagnosed it and then put me on the Cholestyramine Powder to take in the morning and at night before bed. My symptoms immediately improved and I got my life back.....didn't have to be close to a bathroom at all times. I find it's best to take it with diet or non-diet Ginger Ale...put it in the bottle with about 3-4 ozs and shake really well....makes it foam up and goes down more easily! Good Luck!!!!!!”

Grateful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2021

“I am so grateful for this medicine (cholestyramine). I had my gallbladder taken out about 9 years ago. Suffered with stomach problems too long. I finally called a specialist and he prescribed it to me and I got results quick. It took away my constant diarrhea and anxiety that comes with it. My GI doctor told me to take one 4oz packet before bed every night making sure I rinse my mouth real good and brush my teeth. I mix it real well with a whisk with room temperature water. I highly recommend it!”

Jo November 26, 2020

“I suffer from IBS-D since I'm a kid. Since I'm not big on taking meds, I've lived with it and tried to accept the limitations that IBS brings to your life. After spending my wedding night in pain and diarrhea, I've decided it was enough of that and started to search for a solution. I ended up reading all these reviews about Cholestyramine for IBS-D and asked a prescription to my doctor. Now, at 58 yo, I started Olestyr once a day and IT CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I wish my gastro doc. would've prescribed it to me before. For the first time in my life, I can eat what I want, go to restaurant without rushing back home in major cramps. Thank you all for taking the time to write reviews on this forum!”

Happy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

“Four years ago I developed chronic diarrhea and 2 years ago I became house bound as I had to stay close to a bathroom. I only made it to doctors appointments by not eating for two hours before and taking 3 or 4 imodium . Three doctors later and several scopings top and bottom showed nothing. Finally a gastro specialist prescribed olestyr (cholestyramine) one packet in the morning. It took the urgency out of going. We increased the dose to 2x a day and I started having regular movements. I still have a few trigger foods that cause a problem but a single imodium keeps me good for 12 hours. I am no longer under "house arrest" and am enjoying going out for the day.”

Bramleygal · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2020

“This drug has totally given me my life back. Before this I was popping Immodiums like candy just to maintain a normal life but I was still always nervous about going anywhere. Would not dissolve in liquid but putting it in the blender made it palatable. Could not be more thankful for this drug. It’s been over three weeks with no issues whatsoever.”

Varj October 30, 2019

“Had stomach and bowel issues since my teen years.. unpredictable and no warnings.. tests done.. nothing found.. had gall bladder removed in my early 60’s and made stomach and bowel issues ten times worse. Started taking Prevalite (cholestyramine) 1 pack a day and I can finally eat without cramping and bowel issues within two hours after eating. I take in morning with orange juice. I notice a little bloating but nothing else..if I miss a dose the diarrhea comes back with a vengeance. I drink plenty of fluid to prevent constipation. This medication has changed my life. I’m 69 so if I need to take it the rest of my life it’s okay. It’s better than being bathroom bound!”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

“I was diagnosed with IBS-D after I had my gallbladder removed. 2 years later, medications, diet change, and the “telling me it’s stress related..mind body connection “. My doctor FINALLY said WHAT I’ve been saying BAM (bile acid malabsorption). He prescribed cholestyramine. It’s only been 2 days and I notice some difference. I’m hoping this works, I want a life!!!”

Tom 463 May 11, 2016

“I have had chronic diarrhea for the last 26 years. I have tried many, many different medicines, but none helped me except this. I cannot believe how good I feel now. My whole life consisted of knowing where the next bathroom was. I was prescribed to take this 2x a day. The following day after starting it, my diarrhea has stopped completely!! I am now starting my second month on the medication and I have had no side effects and absolutly no problems. I sure wish I had this many years ago.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2020

“I started taking this about 6 months ago and the changes are significant. I even told my specialist that I have found my INSULIN!!!!!! I cannot go a day without it. I have had many accidents in the past- even not getting from my kitchen to my ensuite in time - but since being on this I have not had ONE single incident. Previously I had also gave up working/ going out etc as if I didn't know where the nearest toilet was I panicked. The only problem is now that it has been in short supply for months - does anyone know where else I can get it - I AM DESPERATE!!”

Val October 16, 2018

“I have suffered for year with stomach pain and after every meal needing to go to the bathroom. I did have my gallbladder removed and that didn’t help made things worse. I had no life my poor family was suffering with me they knew we couldn’t go out to eat everything had to be brought home. I never wanted to go anywhere I finally had enough when my son was graduating I sat there for hours in fear of needing to go and missing such a special moment. I had seen different doctors they always gave me different medications that never worked I finally saw a GI doctor had a colonoscopy done. He came and told me that I was going to live life again and he was right this medicine has done just that I’m not missing out. It’s been a little weird getting use to being normal and having my life back the first couple of days I took 2 packs but I only need one in the morning I can even skip a day and I’m still okay. I haven’t had any side effects make sure to brush your teeth right after”

Sweets · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2019

“I started using this in June of this year after having chronic diarrhea for 5 plus years. This helped me after one use. I have issues with bloating and gas and have noticed hair loss. But I have gone from 70 lbs 1 year ago to 90 lbs today. I mix it with 2T of orange Metamucil in a large glass. Starting with a small amount of water and then adding more water slowly. I also put about a 1/4 cup of orange juice with it. I feel for the others with chronic diarrhea. I didn't think it was a life worth living either. I wish you all the best”

Deb September 10, 2019

“I have had IBS-D for over 2 years and in the end I had to quit my job. I have had 5 doctors upper GI, lower GI and finally my nurse prat diagnosed me with IBS. I was on welchol for year it worked perfect !!! Then it stopped working :( Took cholestyramine for 3 weeks as my doctor prescribed for that amount of time and it didn't work. I have to run to bathroom 14 times daily every day for past 2 months now not left the house . This is no way for any one to live .”

EZ · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 9, 2019

“I have been dealing with IBS for 3 years. Diarrhea was a major factor in my going to my GI doctor along with acute stomach pain. First I went in for upper GI scope which found gastritis, so got meds for that. Eventually my diarrhea worsened. Back in for both colonoscopy and upper GI which found IBS. Doctor put me on cholestyramine and immediately the diarrhea subsided along with the stomach cramps. I stopped using the cholestyramine for about a year until I had prostate cancer and prostate removal. Following that surgery my IBS returned. Severely. I started up the cholestyramine again and boom it works great. It seems like this medication does have other positive affects. Hopefully it continues to work.”

LD · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 16, 2019

“Suffered for many years with IBS and horrendous diarrhoea to the point where I could not leave the house in a morning and also attacks during the day too. I literally tried every drug available and only immodium worked by taking way too many. I persuaded my doctor to let me try Questran and after 1 dose before bed I was a new person the next day. I now take 2 sachets before bed and have had no diarrhoea symptoms at all, still have stomach pain but I can cope with that and live a normal life again without having to dash to the toilet and constantly not make it in time.”

Minnie · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 30, 2020

“I started cholestyramine 2 years ago after years of terrible IBS- D, most days I was late into work or couldn't make it in at all? I had changed my diet and eliminated so many trigger foods but still so many accidents and pain. I am now living a normal life and not had one single accident since taking this miracle cholestyramine. I take 2 at night mixed with orange cordial. I still have to be careful what I eat as do get pain but I am a happy person now who can live life”

Stargazer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2018

“I'm so glad my doctor prescribed this, it changed my life. I can now leave my house without fear of having to find a bathroom at a moment's notice or embarrass myself when visiting friends or family. I still have to watch what I eat since certain foods affect my symptoms still, but before taking this it was absolutely EVERYTHING I ate.”

Smitty42 June 18, 2014

“USMC vet that was in the Persian Gulf, Nothing I have taken has stopped me from going to bathroom 6-7 times a day, plus I have had terrible stomach pains, Bad enough to send me to the Hospital. This was something I thought I was just going to have to live with. After 1 dose of Cholestyramine I noticed a huge change. I now have solid bowel movements, and only go 2-3 time in the morning. This medicine has been a miracle for me. No side effects and I have gone 4 weeks with no stomach pain. I take the medication once a day at 3:00PM.”

Feeling normal · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2018

“I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. About 5 years ago I started getting severe diarrhea and after several tests was diagnosed with IBS-D. I adjusted my diet, took a lot of Imodium, Bentyl. etc. Imodium helped but I had to take a lot of it. About a year ago, the doctor prescribed cholestyramine. He said to take it 3 times a day but that was too much. I only take one envelope a day mixed with some unsweetened applesauce. Then I drink a glass of water. What a life-saver. I feel normal again and can actually leave the house.”

happyfamily911 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2016

“Reading so many of everyone's experiences reminded me of so many of my own horrible memories. Never wanting to go out to eat, having to take an IMODIUM before and after eating out, looking for the bathrooms at each stop just in case, NEVER wanting to go too far out away from the house, road trips were horrible and my job requires a lot of driving, lots of abdominal pain and sometimes having to do a lot of cleaning up. When I first started taking this I actually stopped after about 2 weeks because the normal BM's and lack of abdominal pain I confused with constipation...it was such a different, weird feeling to be normal. I am back on it and once again am getting the relief I got in the beginning.”

APS121 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2020

“I had my gall bladder out in 2012. About 6 months after I developed IBS-d like symptoms. Cramping, diarrhea within an hour after eating. It was completely unpredictable and not diet dependent and I suffered for about 3 years, until one day I almost didn’t make it to the restroom at work. My doc prescribed cholestyramine and after one dose of this medication, I was back to normal. It’s amazing and I can’t live without it. If I miss a dose, I know about it the next day. And because it’s a cholesterol maintenance drug, a 90 day supply costs me nothing out of pocket under my plan.”

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome