User Reviews for Cholestyramine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Prevalite, Questran, ...show all 9 brand namesQuestran Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Questran Light Packets, Prevalite Packets, Questran Packets

Cholestyramine Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Cholestyramine

"I'm so glad my doctor prescribed this, it changed my life. I can now leave my house without fear of having to find a bathroom at a moment's notice or embarrass myself when visiting friends or family. I still have to watch what I eat since certain foods affect my symptoms still, but before taking this it was absolutely EVERYTHING I ate."

Stargazer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2018

"I have suffered for year with stomach pain and after every meal needing to go to the bathroom. I did have my gallbladder removed and that didn’t help made things worse. I had no life my poor family was suffering with me they knew we couldn’t go out to eat everything had to be brought home. I never wanted to go anywhere I finally had enough when my son was graduating I sat there for hours in fear of needing to go and missing such a special moment. I had seen different doctors they always gave me different medications that never worked I finally saw a GI doctor had a colonoscopy done. He came and told me that I was going to live life again and he was right this medicine has done just that I’m not missing out. It’s been a little weird getting use to being normal and having my life back the first couple of days I took 2 packs but I only need one in the morning I can even skip a day and I’m still okay. I haven’t had any side effects make sure to brush your teeth right after"

Val October 16, 2018

"I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. About 5 years ago I started getting severe diarrhea and after several tests was diagnosed with IBS-D. I adjusted my diet, took a lot of Imodium, Bentyl. etc. Imodium helped but I had to take a lot of it. About a year ago, the doctor prescribed cholestyramine. He said to take it 3 times a day but that was too much. I only take one envelope a day mixed with some unsweetened applesauce. Then I drink a glass of water. What a life-saver. I feel normal again and can actually leave the house."

Feeling normal (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

"When I was about 20-21 I really started have IBS-D issues, it runs in the family. Was afraid to eat out after 6pm especially on a date or something. If I did, I was bathroom mapping like Google Maps BEFORE Google Maps. My Gastro gave Cholestyramine to me for the first time when I was about 38. Wow, what a difference. Took me a while to get the right sequence but I learned to take it at least 1 hour or a little more before going out to eat a heavy dinner in the evening. After that, no IBS-D issues, no more explosive problems. It has probably postponed me from having to have my gall bladder removed like many others in my family. Since it has some cholesterol benefits I don't see why keeping my organs and lowering my cholesterol is bad.. I don't take it every night, just when I know I am going out for a heavy dinner meal.. It's nice to have on hand! hope this helps others..."

Crash (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2018

"Prevalite has been a great experience this far. It's only been a week@ and I have made a complete turn around. I have suffered for years with IBS-Diarrhea and have had constant diarrhea as soon as I ate something. This has completely stopped that along with the stomach pains."

Relief (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

"I m 50 years old. I just had my colonoscopy done due to a two months severe diarrhea attack. The procedure images came out to be nothing wrong. But I am still waiting for the biopsy result from the procedure. The GI Dr prescribed me to take 1 scoop of the Cholestyramine before bed time. I see my stool instantly formed in shape the next morning. The only problem now I am facing is constantly hunger (approx 2-3hrs needs to eat). Shaky hands. My left hand yesterday was actually swinging on it’s own which I think due to muscle cramp. This could result in unbalance of electrolytes. Vitamins deficiency will causing you to feel weak and fatigue . Vitamins: B12, potassium, magnesium, vitamin k , and more. Make sure you monitor closely on your vitamins level when using this drug with your doctor. Best to take supplement along with this drug. Good luck!"

Mon50 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

"The Best! I can now go outside my home with reasonable confidence. As long as I watch what I eat and stay to small portion meals all is well. So very grateful to my gastroenterologist who prescribed this for me. It's a lifestyle changer."

Dee (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2018

"I just started this. Have had IBS diarrhea for as long as I can recall, but has always been controllable with lomotil. Was diagnosed with SIBO this summer, and it's been slowly downhill from there. I'm only on day 3 of Questran, but so far so good! I'm hopeful!!"

Sickandtired (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2018

"About 1 year ago I started to have chronic diarrhea it would come and it would go and eventually it just plain overtook my life. ow with cholestyramine I am now having regular formed stools. Where has this drug been all my life? is how I think every day."

Julieb March 20, 2018

"I'm 55 and have had stomach issues since my early twenties. It became worse after my ileum resection. I've been a prisoner of the bathroom for so long, avoiding outings and trips, having many embarrassing "accidents" stories. Well, it got so bad that I had severe diarrhea for 3 months straight and couldn't eat anything. After many tests and visits to different doctors, a miracle happens and its name is Cholestyramine. It made me wonder why was it kept a secret for so long? I have such a happy life now! I can eat salad and vegetables, I can drink coffee, and so many other things that used to bother my stomach! I just have to go easy on whole wheats and lactose. Bathroom? Once or twice a day, that's it! The only side effect I've had was when I used one whole packet. I had a severe headache every time I took it. I'm down to 1/2 and I'm fine. Thank you to the doctor who prescribed it!"

LivingLifeAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2018

"This medicine changed my life I am a 63-year-old female who has suffered from IBS-D since I was 20 years old - this medicine is the only thing I have used consistently for the past year and I have had no flareups. If I miss one dose, the next day I’m back to being as bad as I was before I started taking it. So-it is not a cure, but it is wonderful. Just want to know why it took 43 years for a doctor to prescribe. I can go out to eat I can go to the mall I can go for a car ride without the fear of having to find a bathroom YAHOOOO!"

Deewohl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2018

"When I was 6 years old I realized something was wrong with my stomach. Always going to the bathroom and horrible cramping. Ran all kinds of tests on me but never found anything wrong. Always blaming it on nerves cause I was little. Went through my whole life scared to death to travel or even just go out to dinner. I hardly ever ate or drank anything afraid I would have to go to the bathroom. I am 5 ft 3in and my whole life I never weighed more than 110 lbs. My life has changed after a GI specialist prescribed chloestraymne powder 4 grams drink 1 day. I can actually do things and go places with my family and I've put on some weight. Give this a try you won't regret it. Now I have to hit the gym like everyone else.:)"

No Life January 9, 2018

"I started taking this powder about 3 months ago I am up to taking 1/2 of envelope whole envelope made me constipated"

nan-say January 5, 2018

"It has been a miracle drug for me! I don’t want to exaggerate about it but it’s given me my life back. I could never venture too far from a toilet. A flight or a traffic jam would terrify me. I take one packet a day mixed with applesauce (for palatability) and I’m problem free."

Resolute555 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 31, 2017

"In addition to having IBS, my gall bladder was removed last year which reduced the amount of bile taken out in my intestines, and increased the likelihood of diarrhea. When IBS recurred recently, one packet of cholestyramine immediately improved it. A few days of it twice a day and I am back to “normal.” It is amazing!"

Susanne Dana Hill (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

"I've had stomach issues my whole life since I was very young. I've always had what I thought was IBS d. I never knew when I might have to use the bathroom and as you all know that makes it very hard to live life. Riding on airplanes we're a nightmare for me. Then 8 months ago I had my gallbladder removed. This made my diarrhea 100 times worse. My life was so stressfull, I couldn't make plans with friends because I needed to be near a toilet constantly. I've tried everything for the diarrhea but it didn't do much for me. I finally got the courage up to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy and everything was clear, my Dr proscribed me cholestyramine and it has been a dream come true , thank God I'm normal again!"

Greenenvey December 13, 2017

"Just started taking meds and I love, love it. This med may me feel like I just got my life back"

Maggipie (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

"I've been living with IBS-D for 10+ years and symptoms got much , much worse within the last several years. I had my gall bladder removed and tested positive for many food sensitivities. I thought I would just have to live with this the rest of my life. My Dr recently prescribed this drug and started taking it a month ago. I take it with food in the morning and with food at night mixed in a glass of water and it doesn't taste bad, it's like Tang. The results are miraculous!!! I have normal BMs, and have started eating foods I previously avoided and I've been fine!! It's still shocking to me that this works so well. I only wish I would've known about it sooner."

5Anonymousgat October 16, 2017

"It was a great relief that it worked for me after years of going to various GIs. I like it more than the newer drugs because it is not a systemic drug, so it is less harmful over time. Strongly encourage it before using the newer medications."

WalW April 25, 2017

"I've been having troubles with ibs-d symptoms for the last 10-12 years of my life (I'm only 22) about 2 years ago after I had my appendix removed it started becoming worse so I go back to my doctor for them to tell me I have gallstones a year later and my life has become extremely unbearable I can't eat, drink, or anything with out having to go to the bathroom almost immediately after. I believe I may also be lactose intolerant. But about a month ago I went to see my doctor who gave me this medicine and told me to take it 3x a day either an hour before my meal or 2 hours after. This is difficult because I also have to take a thyroid pill on an empty stomach. So most of my day I'm either waiting around to eat or to take my medicine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

"I've had stomach issues my entire life, complained about this to so many doctors and taken so many ineffective drugs. Finally found the right doctor who prescribed the right medication. I wish it hadn't taken so long. It's amazing to feel normal."

judy10021 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

"Hi, I've had EPIC D for 3 or 4 years and finally about 1 1/2 years ago was given Questran, which is amzing! But, like some of the other posts I've read it doesn't seem to be completely effective, I started on three doses a day but that seemed too much. Also, the original Doc who prescribed didn't tell me whether to take before or after the meal! He retired and the Doc that replaced him hasn't told me either, but about six months ago I read (somewhere on the web) you're suppose to take it 45 minutes before eating. Anyone have any thoughts about that? A pharmacist told me to take it right before I eat. Also, I'm on Creon - a digestive enzyme for pancreatic insufficiency"

Bunny444 November 27, 2016

"I was diagnosed with IBS-D almost 40 yrs ago. I've suffered and suffered all my life. About 10 yes ago I 'discovered' immodium which helped some for several years. I'd been taking it plus Bentyl for the past year but it seldom helped. I read about cholestyramine in forums, I already knew I had gallstones. So light bulb went off in my head and I realized my problem was likely bile acid malabsorbtion, at last for the past 5 yrs or longer. An awesome Physicians Assistant at nearby clinic read up about it and gave me a prescription for it. Saved my damn life I tell ya! There's 42 full scoop doses in a canister, which costs $35 (I don't have ins). But I only need to take 1/3-1/4 scoop a s day and some days I can even skip a dose. A lifesaver!!"

AmeliaBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

"Great drug and works like a charm. The only problem I found is it depletes your magnesium and potassium and I got muscle cramps so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. Even was rushed to hospital. The said, no heart attack. Finally, I figured it out on my own eleminating things because all the doctors wanted to do was push more drugs on me. Cannot take the drug. I have had part of my large colon removed due to Diverticulitis and then gall bladder surgery as well as adhesion removal surgery. For those that are able to take it, I highly recommend it."

shortcircuit2 September 16, 2016

Questran (cholestyramine): "I developed a rash all over my back and shoulders i also had dizzy turns. I became constipated and the pain from passing motions was worse than my original bouts of constabt diarohea"

chrissy250 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016