User Reviews for Fenofibrate

Also known as: TriCor, Lipofen, Triglide, Antara Fenoglide

Fenofibrate has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 58 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Fenofibrate reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Hypertriglyceridemia
Hyperlipoproteinemia
4.6
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL
Summary of Fenofibrate reviews 5.6 58 reviews

Reviews for Fenofibrate

Wicked May 4, 2021

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “Well after blood work up revealed extremely high cholesterol I've been taking fenofibrate 54 mg for a month now and I'm a diabetic with a overly enlarged heart, and in renal kidney failure. After reading this anyone experiencing my serious health issues SHOULD NOT BE TAKING THIS STUFF. It could be fatal not to mention the side effects I'm dealing with loss of appetite, nausea bad, severe muscle n joint cramps, pain, weakness, always dizzy, lightheaded, the most irritating itching rash like you can't believe. I feel like things are crawling all over me. I literally have scars from scratching myself raw. Uugghh screw this I'm stopping immediately high cholesterol or not I can't take the shoulder pain and the dang rash, itching.Why this type of medication is being used with these type of severe side effects completely baffles me”

Night Rider · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2021

“Taking this drug increases by calorie burn during and post exercise. I have not experienced any muscle or joint pain. It does make me feel lethargic.”

c t December 21, 2020

“Don't take fenofibrate it has terrible side effects of joint pain, weight gain, even hard to walk because knee hurts from the joint pain. I never had any of these problems before the medicine”

jimmytheturkish March 6, 2010

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “In 2 weeks my triglycerides dropped 700 points from 990 to 260 and cholesterol dropped 100 points from 310 to 215. My HDL increased 8 points from 30 to 38. No side effects so far. I hope it continues like this.”

SJCraw · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2017

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I took fenofibrate for four months and thought this is finally a drug I could take with no side effects...however...the fourth month I had such leg pain I could hardly walk..my thighs and calves felt like I had blood clots. My husband suggested it might be my the fenofibrate so I stopped taking it immediately. The third day I could walk again with no pain. I then realized other side effects were runny nose, headaches, other muscle pain. I saw my Dr today after stopping medication three weeks ago and told him how much better I felt...he was not happy I quit the medication and suggested the side effects are all in my mind...needless to say I'm looking for a new Dr.”

R-Louie September 14, 2009

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I don't know exactly when I started using Tricor 145 mg tablets, but I suspect it was approximately in 2004. I have obtained this drug monthly from RiteAid drugstore, and the medications is made by Abbott Labs. Anyways, in November 2007 I suffered my first occurence of acute pancreatitis. I undertook many hospital tests, CT Scans, MRI's, X-Rays, Ultrasounds, of my pancreas, but none of those test revealed a cause of the acute pancreatitis. Since that first occurrence of acute pancreatitis, I suffered 2 other cases of pancreatitis, which put me into the hospital again, and 1 other case where I toughed it out a home. Reading the Tricor warnings, it states that in rare cases, it may cause pancreatitis. I stopped Tricor, problem solved.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 16, 2012

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “After being diagnosed with high triglycerides, I took Tricor for approximately 10 years. It controlled my triglycerides to just within the normal limit. After my insurance would no longer pay for Tricor, and I switched to the generic fenofibrate, my triglycerides and liver enzymes went back up.”

Timeless December 4, 2009

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I experienced chest pains and false ECG reading due to TriCor. My symptoms of angina, joint and muscle aches, and fatigue ended when I ceased the Tricor. After an expensive Cardiac Stress Test, I was given a clean bill of cardiac health. ”

Juan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I took femofibrate continuously for 40 days . I never had triglycerides so low in my life (150 mg). Due to multiple side effects(sore throat, sinusitis, muscle aches and tiredness) I decided to stop it. Now 2 weeks later I felt well and all side effects went away. I decided to restart medication, this time 3 times per week (145 mg). 10 days later I am back with leg and back pain as well as sensation of general weakness as if I had a viral illness. Today I decided to stop it and call my physician.”

Anonymous June 30, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have been taking Fenofibrate 160 mg for almost 15 years. I have back so bad it takes my breath away. I have gone though test after test and more physical therapy than I care to think about. A few days ago, I decided to check side effects of this drug. I quit taking it and already feel better. Guess we’ll see what my doctor says....”

Alex December 26, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “On it for couple of weeks, 250 pounds, 6.5 height 43 years old Maybe works for some to lower triglycerides. For me terrible. Also taking bustolik to lower blood pressure, Started at 145 mg, cut doze to half (because of how sick it was making me feel), all standard side effects, pain in muscles and joints, general weakness, disorientation, negative mood. Caused a possible brain aneurism, behind eye pain and head pain, sensitivity to light, nausea from headaches, stiff left side of neck, pressure in specific left parts of brain, left hand and shoulders numbness more so then the right, all pain eventually goes to the brain, if the brain related issues are related to this med hard to say how much damage it exactly done to me so far, can’t exercise while on it since any increase in blood pressure results in pressure and headaches in the brain, truly like taking poison that gradually destroys your health, stopped taking it today, changing diet to reduce tryglz.”

ninabeans December 1, 2013

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have been on this for three months, no serious side effects. I am very super sensitive to statins so I had to get off of them. I haven't had my blood checked yet but will update on how it did. I plan on staying with this if it works because I feel no side effects at this point. Will update soon.”

Birdflower September 9, 2009

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “I continued drinking alcohol after my doctor told me not to. I found out the hard way - became extremely tired and started bad sleep habits. I stopped drinking with this medication and now feel great!”

Foxboy 1 August 8, 2016

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “YOW! This drug has started causing (after 2 months) shoulder pain, becoming a 10, very intense. I stopped using it and two months later it has wrecked my shoulder muscle, feels like a war with muscle and nerves, most horrible pain I ever endured. Every morning is like Ground Hog Day, the same, the same, the same. It has now moved to my wrists and into my hands...swelling and intense pain, INTENSE. My shoulder pain would make putting on a tee shirt next to impossible. Dressing has been a long and painful experience, daily. I pray for this to stop someday, it has made my life horrible. I am 70 and WAS in good shape before this. Now I would consider death relaxing.”

Lyn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2020

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I was placed on Fenofibrate 160 mg a day for elevated cholesterol (238). I took the medicine without any problems. After 3 months my doctor ordered follow up lab work that showed my cholesterol level was now 156 but my kidney function, which was never a problem, was now moderately decreased. I stopped taking the Fenofibrate and in 2 weeks my lab work showed my kidney function was almost normal. This medicine can lower cholesterol levels but make sure your doctor does follow up labs to determine if other problems are occurring.”

James · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I've been taking fenofibrate for 2 months now (54mg) and had my bloodwork checked recently. I was surprised to see my horrific levels before going on this medication were 1/2 what they were before. (Triglycerides went from 599 to 310.) Yes, I still know that 310 is still high, so I recently upped the dose. I'm 6'1 and 210 lbs now, before this I was 225, so it helped me lose 15 lbs in 2 months also. Zero side effects, I take the medication first thing when I wake up in the morning.”

Anonymous December 4, 2012

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “Caused steady increase in creatinine level over 3 month period and my PCP thought I was getting kidney disease. Very scary. I was the one to suggest stopping it rather than go to a nephrologist which is what my Dr advised. My creatinine levels went back to normal after stopping it.”

ThreeD Wizard July 13, 2019

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I am taking this medicine for last three weeks and I had to stop it because of extreme fatigue, dizziness, imbalance, can't concentrate on work, vertigo, excessive bloating and gas, indigestion. Even right now I can't concentrate properly and it feels like I am floating in the water. I was taking Rosuvastatin 5 then my doctor suggested to increase from 5 to 10 and added Fenofibrate. Since Rosuvastatin didn't create any problem and actually I feel better every day, I think Fenofibrate doesn't suit me.”

Anonymous June 4, 2017

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I started it almost 3 weeks ago. I am a 60 year old female. I cannot tolerate statins and I cannot tolerate this. My shoulders and up between them started hurting soon after I started taking it. I was very agitated all the time and my hair started coming out by the handfuls. I am going to the health store and get natural supplements. Quite frankly, I think the prescription meds for lowering cholesterol are like ingesting poison.”

GasPasser · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2013

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: “My Doctor put me on TriCor 145mg because she said my triglycerides were way to high. I don't know what the numbers were. I just do what my doc says I should do. Went and did lab test. My doctor said Tricor brought my triglycerides and other things way down to where she is happy. I asked her if the dose was too big because TriCor left me feeling tired. She agreed that I could half the pill and take labs in a month. So, TriCor I would say is doing me good and will continue to take till the doctor says I don't have to take it anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I had a PCP who put me on this fenofibrate and refused to change it. It makes me sleep 24 hours a day, I've gotten to where I hurt so bad I can't function. It hurts to drive sit or stand a certain way. But she swears up and down its not the medication”

WendyinIndy · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2020

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: “How did this awful little pill ever make it to market? I felt like I'd ingested rat poison! Horrific stomach pain & vomiting. I will NEVER take a drug just because some "doctor" said to again! Sometimes best to, "just say NO!"”

aaron · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “just started this medication fenofibrate Triglycerides was 491 WITHOUT FASTING test. S/E very sleepy, shoulder pain, I suffer from panic disorder so not sure if the chest pain is from that or the medicine.”

that'senough · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I'm always starting and stopping fenofibrate because I start to get side effects that I can't manage. I only took it two times this period and I had such bad body aches and fatigue that I almost didn't make it through work. Right now I feel like I'm recovering but still sore. The longest I ever was on it was for a week and instead of body aches I had extreme sensitivity to the sun (which is a side effect). My body felt like it was sunburned but wasn't. I keep trying but I can't tolerate it. I know it is an effective drug for bringing down high triglycerides but I can't function on it.”

TC April 4, 2019

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “I was on 45mg and it wasn't doing the trick so my doctor upped me to the 145mg pills. A few days later I started have chest pains, difficulty breathing, headaches, dizziness, lightheaded, and a racing heart beat. Two trips to the ER within 3 days for heart attack symptoms (all tests were normal both times). I stopped taking this yesterday and already feel much better. I have a follow up appointment soon and we'll have to find another drug for cholesterol because this one doesn't agree with me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2017

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “My triglycerides were a whopping 758, so my Dr decided to put me on 145mg of Fenofibrate daily. I've only been on the medication for 3 days now, and I'm experiencing extreme fatigue, pains in chest and back and headache. I'm trying to stick with it hoping the symptoms go away after a few weeks, but mot sure how much longer I can continue this way.”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I started taking fenofibrate and began to have breathing issues. It was during winter and I always get bronchitis, so thought nothing of it. I have a very good sense of smell but noticed that now I cannot smell anything. I have had a runny nose so bad that I started taking meds for that, but I’m congested at the same time. I have also had a nose bleeds for months and never had this before, ever. I didn’t realize that when I miss the medication, my nose issues stop. Today I looked up side affects and they are a lot to do with breathing and nasal. I will not be taking this anymore.”

bcds3962 July 14, 2008

“This new medicine has brought my triglycerides down from 800 to 300. So far I have no side effects. I have been taking it for 2 months. I tried Tri-cor and it never changed my triglyceride levels. This is a miracle drug.”