User Reviews for Fenofibrate

Also known as: Antara, Fenoglide, Lipidil EZ, Lipidil Micro, Lipidil Supra, Lipofen, Lofibra, TriCor, Triglide

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fenofibrate.

Hypertriglyceridemia
6.5

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL
5.9

Hyperlipoproteinemia
5.3

Summary of Fenofibrate reviews 5.9 36 reviews

Reviews for Fenofibrate

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "I took fenofibrate for four months and thought this is finally a drug I could take with no side effects...however...the fourth month I had such leg pain I could hardly walk..my thighs and calves felt like I had blood clots. My husband suggested it might be my the fenofibrate so I stopped taking it immediately. The third day I could walk again with no pain. I then realized other side effects were runny nose, headaches, other muscle pain. I saw my Dr today after stopping medication three weeks ago and told him how much better I felt...he was not happy I quit the medication and suggested the side effects are all in my mind...needless to say I'm looking for a new Dr."

SJCraw (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "I was prescribed this medicine to address high triglyceride and low HDL levels. In eight months of using fenofibrate and adjusting my diet, my total cholesterol went down 30%, my LDL went from 106 to 80, HDL went from 33 to 44, and my triglyceride numbers plummeted over 75% from 300 to 70. The side effect I experienced was a weight gain of 10 pounds within the first month and it stayed at that level for the eight month period. I did not experience any other side effect. Cost of medication with insurance is $15 a month."

wavestillmanzz12 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "My triglycerides were a whopping 758, so my Dr decided to put me on 145mg of Fenofibrate daily. I've only been on the medication for 3 days now, and I'm experiencing extreme fatigue, pains in chest and back and headache. I'm trying to stick with it hoping the symptoms go away after a few weeks, but mot sure how much longer I can continue this way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Extreme sickness while taking over 2 months I had no idea it was making me sick. I am diabetic and was also on metoprolol. Shortness of breath, chest pains, extreme nausea, diarrhea, back burning, joint pain ,leg pain and twitching ,organ pain, high wbc count, hypoglycemia, insomnia and worst of all headaches. I just found out it was this after they almost sent me for a bone marrow biopsy. I was sure I was having a reaction. I stopped 3 days so far no problems anymore. Now just worried about damaged it caused.."

Blue .r (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "I started it almost 3 weeks ago. I am a 60 year old female. I cannot tolerate statins and I cannot tolerate this. My shoulders and up between them started hurting soon after I started taking it. I was very agitated all the time and my hair started coming out by the handfuls. I am going to the health store and get natural supplements. Quite frankly, I think the prescription meds for lowering cholesterol are like ingesting poison."

Anonymous June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Had triglycerides level of 460+. Took Fenofibrate 160mg(Mylan). Within a month, dropped to 132. I was 5'8", 182 pounds. Started eating less, dropping about a pound a week. Did not feel hungry. Side effects after 8 weeks of Fenofibrate experienced an SVT(Supraventricular Tachycardia) event. Trip to Emergency Room with heart beats per minute > 200 which lasted 3 hours. Given adensine IV. Continued Fenofibrate. Trip to cardiologist. Heart echo(ultrasound) found normal 60+ real old heart. In another 6 weeks had another SVT. Heart beat >180 beats per minute. Visited PCP and requested medicine change to Lipitor or Crestor which in addition to lower cholesterol may also work on triglycerides. YMMV. (Your milage may vary)"

Don57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "YOW! This drug has started causing (after 2 months) shoulder pain, becoming a 10, very intense. I stopped using it and two months later it has wrecked my shoulder muscle, feels like a war with muscle and nerves, most horrible pain I ever endured. Every morning is like Ground Hog Day, the same, the same, the same. It has now moved to my wrists and into my hands...swelling and intense pain, INTENSE. My shoulder pain would make putting on a tee shirt next to impossible. Dressing has been a long and painful experience, daily. I pray for this to stop someday, it has made my life horrible. I am 70 and WAS in good shape before this. Now I would consider death relaxing."

Foxboy 1 August 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Was placed on this for Hypercholesterolemia, incidentally my triglycerides were high as well. Can't really say if this has helped or not. I suspect another medication, Abilify, was responsible for the Hypercholesterolemia and high triglycerides. I quit the Abilify and the last time I had my levels checked I was told I was normal. Again, can't say if this has helped...can't say it hasn't."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "My triglycerides were above 1000 and my Dr told me I was risking pancreatitis, which could be fatal unless I lowered them. I grudgingly started taking fenofibrate daily about 15 years ago and it lowers my triglycerides to 200 or less. It works."

2chuck (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Triglycerides 1,300+; Maintained at around 200 for last 14 years with Fenofibrate."

Opey (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Took lipanthyl 145mg for 3 months, triglycerides went down, hdl went up, but ldl went up. Alt was also detected at 78. Had mild chest pain, not sure if related. Changing to another med."

hdldl December 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Did wonders for tryglicerides. Also lowered LDL. Did not raise HDL"

ThisDogHunts October 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Fenefibrate caused slow increase in sr. creatinine from 1.1 to 2.1 ...and chronic renal failure like situation without any symptoms of CKD... however fully recovered the Sr. creatinine levels and normal kidney functions after stopping fenefibrate oral."

Dhananjay Nagvenkar September 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "Took as prescribed for several months. Started to have muscle problems. Shoulders, hips, knees. Loss of strength in arms and hands. Also some body itch. Stopped taking on my own. Significant change in 24 hours. Still have some pain, but as medication wears out, hope to be better."

TRACTOR MAN (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipofen (fenofibrate) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "changed from Lipitor to Lipofen. My LDL was controlled, trigs was also good. Best result is my HDL which was always below 40 for years increased to 48. Have some concern about increase in creatine level."

mice April 11, 2015

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "Great"

YESUDASS (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: "I have been on this for three months, no serious side effects. I am very super sensitive to statins so I had to get off of them. I haven't had my blood checked yet but will update on how it did. I plan on staying with this if it works because I feel no side effects at this point. Will update soon."

ninabeans December 1, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: "My Doctor put me on TriCor 145mg because she said my triglycerides were way to high. I don't know what the numbers were. I just do what my doc says I should do. Went and did lab test. My doctor said Tricor brought my triglycerides and other things way down to where she is happy. I asked her if the dose was too big because TriCor left me feeling tired. She agreed that I could half the pill and take labs in a month. So, TriCor I would say is doing me good and will continue to take till the doctor says I don't have to take it anymore."

GasPasser (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "Good experience, helped with my high level of cholesterol and triglycerides. I used the 145 without side effects."

Jefrey September 9, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: "I can't tolerate statins. I have hypercholesterolemia and high triglycerides. I have taken Tricor with no side effects. "

green eyes 100 December 24, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Caused steady increase in creatinine level over 3 month period and my PCP thought I was getting kidney disease. Very scary. I was the one to suggest stopping it rather than go to a nephrologist which is what my Dr advised. My creatinine levels went back to normal after stopping it."

Anonymous December 4, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: "After being diagnosed with high triglycerides, I took Tricor for approximately 10 years. It controlled my triglycerides to just within the normal limit. After my insurance would no longer pay for Tricor, and I switched to the generic fenofibrate, my triglycerides and liver enzymes went back up."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

TriCor (fenofibrate) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "I took Tricor for three years with non side effects. However, my LDL cholesterol level remained > 240. Use a statin when appropriate."

NewYorkZneil November 18, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypertriglyceridemia: "I took Fenofibrate for exactly 12 days and then stopped taking it, as it caused severe leg cramping in my thighs and calves that left them sore and aching for the next 2 days. "

SueZD July 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lipofen (fenofibrate) for Hypertriglyceridemia: "My trigs were through the roof! 345! Now they are 102. My doctor said getting triglycerides under control was more important than LDL for me, but now LDL is back in range. Lipofen is very good!"

LeeNorris211 June 28, 2011