User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Depression

High Cholesterol
6.2

Summary of Niacin reviews 7.5 76 reviews

Reviews for Niacin

For Niacin Deficiency: "I had a horrible reaction to it. My skin felt as thought it was burning from the inside, I was covered in hives, my breathing became very weird, & I had chills — which resulted in shaking uncontrollably. Ended up going to the hospital."

Almostdied (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

For Depression: "I'm trying Niacin both for getting off of Clonazepam and for anxiety. I need more instructions on how to find my optimal dose. I took my first 100 mg pill after a meal and had significant flushing about an hour later that lasted for 30 min. I heard the flushing reduces in time Dr. Abram Hoffer's optimal dose was 3,000 mg (1000 after each meal) but said everyone is different. "

Faith120 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For Depression: "This review is for both niacin and niacinamide. Got off Zoloft after taking it for only 2 weeks due to its insane side effects and worsening depression! Had a psychiatrist appointment coming up in two weeks from that point, which was the beginning of the week. After being diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I’ve suspected of being over methylated, which could be the reason I didn’t fare well with SSRI .I took niacinamide 500mg and wow! Boost of energy, positivity, and optimism! However only lasted for like 4 days. Hypomania? I’ve tried up to 1500mg a day for a few days, and that feeling never came back, some low mood and anxiety only. I then read that flush niacin would be more effective. So I bought niacin 100mg. Took like 500mg to flush, and it gave me a sense of calmness and prevention of lower moods. Same thing, only lasted for a few days. I went up as much as 1800mg/ day, split doses, and never got a consistent effect. Already threw away bottles. Wouldn’t try again."

Hotcoldupdownleftright August 15, 2018

For Depression: "I can't recommend this vitamin enough! For the last couple of years my mind was plagued with lots of intrusive thoughts (OCD). It started with one thing and from then the cycle went on and on and on. Each time I got very anxious and later on even to the point that I got more and more depressed. My doctor recommended to take an SSRI, but somehow I didn't like that. So I've looked up for natural supplements and finally read more about Niacin. So I've ordered it online and it works! I'm so happy!! I also sleep way much better than since a long time and the intrusive thoughts have been reduced. Sometimes they are there, but that constant feeling of sadness and regret is gone! Everyone who has mental health issues should try this! I've started with 100 gram (I've been using Solgar's Niacin) and I've been upgrading the dosage each time (currently I take 500 on a daily basis)."

loviedovie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

For Depression: "I have been taking 300-500 mg of niacin (split dose) for a few weeks now. My anxiety and depression symptoms have improved greatly. I feel so much more calm and I am sleeping better. I was doing some research and this is likely related to a genetic trait which affects the metabolism of tryptophan. My flushing symptoms were pretty intense at first but have improved. It's totally worth it. I have read that the slow release niacin is no good and can cause liver damage. The regular, immediate release niacin is what works for me and I split the dose throughout the day. It works for me."

Diane (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Depression: "No effect on my mood."

Cyd7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

For Depression: "I have suffered from epilepsy and depression since childhood. With a number of SSRI meds and finally Wellbutrin I could never find total relief. But about one year ago I began adding supplements to my fruit and veggie diet. B-3 was the first. I began using 1gram per day and later dropped to half a gram per day. Very notable change in my mood and anxiety disorders. I sleep a full eight hours and wake up with no anxiety. Positive, upbeat and very few moments of sadness as long as I'm taking the B-3. If I stop for two or three days, I'm back in the black! This stuff works for me. I won't be shopping for a new drug anymore."

Anonymous February 3, 2018

For Depression: "Tryptophan is being used by the body to create niacin, if you are deficient in niacin. Tryptophan is also the precursor to serotonin - the feel good neurotransmitter. This means that: Niacin + Tryptophan (or small doses of 5-htp) should give you a good dose of serotonin naturally. Since the The tryptophan/5-htp can be used to deliver serotonin directly. If you use niacin with whey protein you will get Tryptophan and tyrosine and a lot of other amino acids. Just wanted to say that my mood lifts significantly with this formula -> Niacin + tryptophan or small doses of 5-htp. Add Tyrosine if needed, or combine with whey protein/amino acid complex."

Akt1 January 19, 2018

For Depression: "I originally took niacin up to 1000mg for cholesterol, when I noticed it helps with depression and anxiety. At first I thought it was a placebo effect, but it was too consistent and tangible. I started at 50mg and very slowly increased up to 1000mg, with antidepressant and anti anxiety benefits felt at 200mg and improving as I increased the dosage."

Davet9 January 2, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I started taking niacin to increase HDL and lower LDL because I suffered a heart attack a couple of years ago. It did raise my HDL and Lower the LDL a bit, but not all that much. HOWEVER, I noted an unexpected benefit. For years I would wake in the middle of night to go to the bathroom and found I was soaked in sweat. I was having disturbing dreams. They weren't terrible. Most dreams consisted of things like parking my car in a large lot and not being able to find it. Also being lost in a strange city. Or, getting a new job and not having a clue what I was doing while trying to prevent my boss from finding out how confused I was. Once I started the niacin the strange dream were gone as were the night sweats."

Michael Parish (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Niacin for 14 days and developed a severe allergic reaction that landed me in the ER! I looked like I was burnt and the pain was unbearable! I had to have 3 shots of Epipen before I got any relief! Why does it take so long for this medicine to cause and allergic reaction? I am just lucky that the pain woke me up otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking niacin ER for about 2 weeks and have many headaches at night and waking up all times of the night due to pain. I am on CPAP also which I think does not help. Plus joint pain during the day. I just don't like the feeling with this drug. "

COMPLICATIONS...SIDE EFFECTS (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

For Depression: "I'm so excited how niacin has changed my life.. I've suffered from depression and anxiety attacks for years. It started when I was 7th grade.. I'm now 62yr old and been through many drugs and doctors.. When I decided to try niacin it was the last straw for me. With the help and support of my daughter she insisted for me to give it a try. She is taking classes to become nutritionist and came across info on this supplement called niacin and read great testimonies. So I took her advice and began to take it. I'm so amazed how it has lifted my depression, anxiety, and unwanted fear. I feel like a new person, confident , happy and wanting to endeavor in new activities.. Nothing is holding me back!! There is hope for me now.."

Anna C. October 1, 2017

Niacin SR (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "I had never taken a medication that had me in fear for my live like Niacin, the pain, redness, flushing, rash, and drooping of the face was horrible only after the 2nd pill, it is a very worrisome medication I would never take it again"

Anonymous September 19, 2017

For Depression: "How effective is niacin in treating depression? What dose is best? How to long to treat?"

Februaryfriendly1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

For Depression: "The real benefit of niacin is when you take very high doses and consistently. Keep them in your pocket."

Fractal12 August 4, 2017

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Had high Triglycerides for more than a decade. Was on Niaspan for much of that time. Little or no impact on my numbers (continually had 400 level Triglycerides or higher) My daughter, a nursing student, suggested I look at something different. Finally moved to Lopid. Take 1 pill when I wake up, and one 30 minutes before my evening meal. Since taking Lopid, I've not had a number higher than 150, and I'm eating what I want. I realize that Niaspan might work for some. But if it's not working for you, I strongly recommend trying Lopid."

Frank 12 August 2, 2017

For Depression: "I was taking welbutrin xl for depression. I found that it's effect lessened after time. After hearing about Niacin, I decided to give it a try. 3 years later, I still take it daily. 1000 mg of no flush Niacin has helped keep my depression in check. No symptoms at all. I highly recommend anyone with depression to at least try it. I also found that Niacin starts working much faster than traditional medication."

Roger Belknap July 27, 2017

For Depression: "I had severe depression on and off past few years. This time round it was unbearable and I was literally falling apart mentally. Sadness and torment, that would not go away, anxiety and lack of sleep for over a year etc. I refused taking synthethic meds and decided to give niacin a go. it worked pretty much instantly. I started on about 300mg (severe flush like sunburn and itchy skin), then calmness. I was upping the dosage almost each time, and flushes eased eventually. Now (2 weeks later) I take 1500mg 2-3 times a day and the flush is slight with warm face and chest. Sadness is gone and I feel much more "with it". It seems to be blocking unwanted thoughts. hands down- a true depression cure."

Katyy July 22, 2017

For Depression: "I am amazed with the mental effects of Niacin. OK, I started taking it 5 weeks ago to lower my high cholesterol and Tryclicerides off the chart!!! I have been having energy like I had 20 years ago, positive attitude, motivated and I have been on every TCA and SSRI and SNRI and none worked. I feel 25 years younger. My fibro and arthritis is less noticeable, and after a heart attack 3 years ago and 3 stents put in, from December till June, I was having heart palpitations every day that concerned me. After a few days of 1gram of Niacin, for 3 weeks, not ONE heart palpitation whatsoever... This stuff is GREAT!!!!"

Quando62 (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

For Depression: "I read all of these reviews with much interest after stumbling across a word called niacin while researching some info on depression as my partner was in a very bad place. He had always suffered depression but the last bout was particularly bad and ongoing and he was getting worse, not better. Very glad I found this, he has been taking it for about a month now, and the changes in him were almost immediate. He just takes enough to experience the slight flush which for him seems to be 300mg which he takes immediately after breakfast and another 300mg again after tea. Experiment is the key to finding the right dose for you as everyone is different. I can't speak highly enough of it. So so relieved!!! I was actually fearful for his life!"

happypartner June 6, 2017

For Depression: "I've been a depressive type most of my life, and I've also had problems with alcohol. I recently was prescribed Lexapro but only took it for two days as it felt wrong. I've always had an icky feeling about SSRIs etc. I finally decided to give niacin a go, and within a few hours of the 1st dose I felt ten times better. I'm now on day 5 and slowly upping my dose. I feel better each day and don't feel the sadness that was so paralysing for so long. Only negative side effect is a headache from time to time but it'll pass soon I'm sure. I really enjoy the niacin flush feeling, but only at night. During the day I take the slow release kind but I'm planning to slowly switch to the flushing kind over time as it just feels more effective."

Bonescorp May 7, 2017

For Depression: "2 years ago my step daughter was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. She couldn't go to school, she was suicidal and completely dysfunctional. She has been on Zoloft since then. We decided with diet and exercise to spend 6 months weening her off the pills which was hard. I read about Niacin and we came off of Zoloft and immediately into this. 3 pills a day, which would make 1500MG. The flushing subsided very fast for her. On day 3 she went for a run, voluntarily. On day 4 she said she would join soccer. 3 weeks in she was better than ever before. I thought, its a fluke and when her pills ran out I accidentally bought flush free Niacin. It took one day to bring her down. Niacin works, she said it lifted the fog."

Banannine April 28, 2017

For Depression: "Really happy it helped me a lot . Severe depression I took it then another dose 2 hours later . I sweated etc felt very chilled then a slight headache . Felt a little tired and sick fell asleep 2 hours. When I woke I felt different I started cleaning my kitchen and bedroom. I lost my daughter Autumn to suicide in Oct . So believe me my depression was severe . Cleaning was a task I could not perform . Thinking more clear with no negative thoughts coming intrusively in my head . I really could not believe it . Gonna try it again tomorrow"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

For Depression: "Hi everyone I have to share my story with you all on how I cured my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was on lexapro 3 years ago then when I came off it I got mania and psychosis then I was on olanzapine for 2 years 10mg I cut down to 1.25 mg and the went off completely this was over a couple of months. When I went off it I had terrible withdrawals, panic attacks, and severe depression I couldn't handle it so I went on cymbalta 60 mg that helped a little and 4 months down I was still feeling the side effects from olanzapine withdrawal. That is until 2 weeks ago I came across a video on YouTube about niacin (flush) and how it cured depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I read lots of online reviews and decided to give it a go! 4 days after taking niacin 500mg. ( it has to be the flushing kind) all my withdrawals were completely gone! I couldn't believe it!! My depression and anxiety and panic attacks gone!!! I'm feeling 100% myself! I am now off the cymbalta too! I had to share my story as I want as many people to know and try it! The best thing about it is that you can try it while your on your Meds as it's just a vitamin! I hope my story will help others!"

Lisamurry24 January 18, 2017