User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Niacin.

Depression

High Cholesterol
6.2

Summary of Niacin reviews 8.1 67 reviews

Reviews for Niacin

For High Cholesterol: "I started taking niacin to increase HDL and lower LDL because I suffered a heart attack a couple of years ago. It did raise my HDL and Lower the LDL a bit, but not all that much. HOWEVER, I noted an unexpected benefit. For years I would wake in the middle of night to go to the bathroom and found I was soaked in sweat. I was having disturbing dreams. They weren't terrible. Most dreams consisted of things like parking my car in a large lot and not being able to find it. Also being lost in a strange city. Or, getting a new job and not having a clue what I was doing while trying to prevent my boss from finding out how confused I was. Once I started the niacin the strange dream were gone as were the night sweats."

Michael Parish (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking Niacin for 14 days and developed a severe allergic reaction that landed me in the ER! I looked like I was burnt and the pain was unbearable! I had to have 3 shots of Epipen before I got any relief! Why does it take so long for this medicine to cause and allergic reaction? I am just lucky that the pain woke me up otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking niacin ER for about 2 weeks and have many headaches at night and waking up all times of the night due to pain. I am on CPAP also which I think does not help. Plus joint pain during the day. I just don't like the feeling with this drug. "

COMPLICATIONS...SIDE EFFECTS (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm so excited how niacin has changed my life.. I've suffered from depression and anxiety attacks for years. It started when I was 7th grade.. I'm now 62yr old and been through many drugs and doctors.. When I decided to try niacin it was the last straw for me. With the help and support of my daughter she insisted for me to give it a try. She is taking classes to become nutritionist and came across info on this supplement called niacin and read great testimonies. So I took her advice and began to take it. I'm so amazed how it has lifted my depression, anxiety, and unwanted fear. I feel like a new person, confident , happy and wanting to endeavor in new activities.. Nothing is holding me back!! There is hope for me now.."

Anna C. October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niacin SR (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "I had never taken a medication that had me in fear for my live like Niacin, the pain, redness, flushing, rash, and drooping of the face was horrible only after the 2nd pill, it is a very worrisome medication I would never take it again"

Anonymous September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "How effective is niacin in treating depression? What dose is best? How to long to treat?"

Februaryfriendly1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "The real benefit of niacin is when you take very high doses and consistently. Keep them in your pocket."

Fractal12 August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Had high Triglycerides for more than a decade. Was on Niaspan for much of that time. Little or no impact on my numbers (continually had 400 level Triglycerides or higher) My daughter, a nursing student, suggested I look at something different. Finally moved to Lopid. Take 1 pill when I wake up, and one 30 minutes before my evening meal. Since taking Lopid, I've not had a number higher than 150, and I'm eating what I want. I realize that Niaspan might work for some. But if it's not working for you, I strongly recommend trying Lopid."

Frank 12 August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was taking welbutrin xl for depression. I found that it's effect lessened after time. After hearing about Niacin, I decided to give it a try. 3 years later, I still take it daily. 1000 mg of no flush Niacin has helped keep my depression in check. No symptoms at all. I highly recommend anyone with depression to at least try it. I also found that Niacin starts working much faster than traditional medication."

Roger Belknap July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had severe depression on and off past few years. This time round it was unbearable and I was literally falling apart mentally. Sadness and torment, that would not go away, anxiety and lack of sleep for over a year etc. I refused taking synthethic meds and decided to give niacin a go. it worked pretty much instantly. I started on about 300mg (severe flush like sunburn and itchy skin), then calmness. I was upping the dosage almost each time, and flushes eased eventually. Now (2 weeks later) I take 1500mg 2-3 times a day and the flush is slight with warm face and chest. Sadness is gone and I feel much more "with it". It seems to be blocking unwanted thoughts. hands down- a true depression cure."

Katyy July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am amazed with the mental effects of Niacin. OK, I started taking it 5 weeks ago to lower my high cholesterol and Tryclicerides off the chart!!! I have been having energy like I had 20 years ago, positive attitude, motivated and I have been on every TCA and SSRI and SNRI and none worked. I feel 25 years younger. My fibro and arthritis is less noticeable, and after a heart attack 3 years ago and 3 stents put in, from December till June, I was having heart palpitations every day that concerned me. After a few days of 1gram of Niacin, for 3 weeks, not ONE heart palpitation whatsoever... This stuff is GREAT!!!!"

Quando62 (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I read all of these reviews with much interest after stumbling across a word called niacin while researching some info on depression as my partner was in a very bad place. He had always suffered depression but the last bout was particularly bad and ongoing and he was getting worse, not better. Very glad I found this, he has been taking it for about a month now, and the changes in him were almost immediate. He just takes enough to experience the slight flush which for him seems to be 300mg which he takes immediately after breakfast and another 300mg again after tea. Experiment is the key to finding the right dose for you as everyone is different. I can't speak highly enough of it. So so relieved!!! I was actually fearful for his life!"

happypartner June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've been a depressive type most of my life, and I've also had problems with alcohol. I recently was prescribed Lexapro but only took it for two days as it felt wrong. I've always had an icky feeling about SSRIs etc. I finally decided to give niacin a go, and within a few hours of the 1st dose I felt ten times better. I'm now on day 5 and slowly upping my dose. I feel better each day and don't feel the sadness that was so paralysing for so long. Only negative side effect is a headache from time to time but it'll pass soon I'm sure. I really enjoy the niacin flush feeling, but only at night. During the day I take the slow release kind but I'm planning to slowly switch to the flushing kind over time as it just feels more effective."

Bonescorp May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "2 years ago my step daughter was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. She couldn't go to school, she was suicidal and completely dysfunctional. She has been on Zoloft since then. We decided with diet and exercise to spend 6 months weening her off the pills which was hard. I read about Niacin and we came off of Zoloft and immediately into this. 3 pills a day, which would make 1500MG. The flushing subsided very fast for her. On day 3 she went for a run, voluntarily. On day 4 she said she would join soccer. 3 weeks in she was better than ever before. I thought, its a fluke and when her pills ran out I accidentally bought flush free Niacin. It took one day to bring her down. Niacin works, she said it lifted the fog."

Banannine April 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Really happy it helped me a lot . Severe depression I took it then another dose 2 hours later . I sweated etc felt very chilled then a slight headache . Felt a little tired and sick fell asleep 2 hours. When I woke I felt different I started cleaning my kitchen and bedroom. I lost my daughter Autumn to suicide in Oct . So believe me my depression was severe . Cleaning was a task I could not perform . Thinking more clear with no negative thoughts coming intrusively in my head . I really could not believe it . Gonna try it again tomorrow"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Hi everyone I have to share my story with you all on how I cured my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was on lexapro 3 years ago then when I came off it I got mania and psychosis then I was on olanzapine for 2 years 10mg I cut down to 1.25 mg and the went off completely this was over a couple of months. When I went off it I had terrible withdrawals, panic attacks, and severe depression I couldn't handle it so I went on cymbalta 60 mg that helped a little and 4 months down I was still feeling the side effects from olanzapine withdrawal. That is until 2 weeks ago I came across a video on YouTube about niacin (flush) and how it cured depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I read lots of online reviews and decided to give it a go! 4 days after taking niacin 500mg. ( it has to be the flushing kind) all my withdrawals were completely gone! I couldn't believe it!! My depression and anxiety and panic attacks gone!!! I'm feeling 100% myself! I am now off the cymbalta too! I had to share my story as I want as many people to know and try it! The best thing about it is that you can try it while your on your Meds as it's just a vitamin! I hope my story will help others!"

Lisamurry24 January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I take a small amount, maybe 1/4 cup, of applesauce with my niacin or Niaspan at night and have no flushing. It also works with a half of an apple. It must be the pectin in the apples that stop the flushing but it works 100% of the time for me. But I've been having problems at night --- indigestion, a weird feeling in my chest, itching and sleeplessness, so I am going to start taking it in the morning."

Me-ma October 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm diagnosed with multiple sclerosis Before the diagnosis I had a sudden change in my mood form a very happy person to a very depressed person After the diagnosis and failure of 3 kind of treatment for My MS because it escalated my depression I stopped everything And started the following 1. Dr. TerryWahls protocol 2. Vitam B3 3000mg/day It's been 2 years and i haven't got a single relapse And the Vitamin b3 helps with the depression."

Noudii78 October 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Been taking nicotinic acid/flushing niacin on and off for about two years. First time i took it, i took 50mg. I Then experienced, to quote My diary " presence, calmness, harmony". I believe 50mg daily is enough for me. If i dont take it, in about three days i become "mentally tortured"; i can not relax, negative thoughts, feel really bad. Maybe some mechanism is wrong somewhere along The line in My serotonin system. If i combine niacin with some tryptophan source (like whey protein) The effects are even better. I would honestly say that niacin has Been a life changer for me, no doubt about that. Have had no side effects that i can think of, maybe decreased appetite in high doses. Also Google niacin and pois if needed. Best Wishes"

Akt1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "i have been on and off antidepressants for 18 years. Only after finding out about niacin 3 years ago has there been any significant improvements in my mental health. I am also a alcoholic, witch makes me super hard to treat. " when I take niacin at a high dose, for me is 3.5 4.5g per day it takes only 3-5 days to forget I was ever depressed to start with, and the want for alchohol subsidies "for me anyway" I have discussed this with my doctor he said it could help with my cholesterol. And advised me to take less, when I do in a matter of days I crash :( For me it is a must In my daily routine. I wish more was shared by GP's On this wonderful thing. Rather than pushing pills. I purchase 2.5kg at a time now"

Steve'O August 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Helped anxiety sleep 500Mcg 2x day"

durkinjt8 June 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Started taking Niacin-B3 500mg a month ago at bed time. About 3 weeks into it I would wake up with stomach pains with the feeling of vomiting, I also had loose bowels, legs hurt, dry skin and itchy rash skin. Stopped taking the meds instantly and called my Dr. Still suffering with rash and itch."

Eiramespr (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I began taking niacin 2 years ago for high cholesterol and after 3 months of taking the vitamin at 500mg/day my cholesterol levels dropped from 260 to 210 with improved ldl and hdl also. I upped the dose to 1000mg a day and have taken for 2 years with current chol level of 189. I not only noticed a reduction in cholesterol but began to feel better and happier. I stopped taking niacin last month and after 1 week started to experience previous anxiety and depression problems that I had been plagued by prior to niacin. I had no idea niacin was so effective in helping with depression until I stopped taking it. I'm back on it and have no worries. "

Cholesterol and depression cur (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on every ssri and different anti-dep the last 15 years. I started Niacin 8 weeks ago. I am now on 1,5 g. Going up to 3 g. Niacin is wonderful. Has helped me so much. Quite amazing. :) Seriously recommend this. Really strange that this is not more known. Use Niacin only after food. I take the 1.5g after work. 3x500mg. Going to start 1.5g Niacinamide during morning/day-time because it doesnt make you flush. Niacinaminde also work for depression, but not the cholesterol. Probably going over to only Niacinaminde after the Niacin is empty. I live in the winter-darkness of Norway, so I also take vitamin-d."

Benbenben December 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've suffered from severe major depression for over a decade with little to no relief from countless medications at a variety of doses. I've been using niacin for two months now and I feel fantastic, it has been a trial and error kind of deal but so worth the effort in finding the balance. I recommend this to everyone suffering it does take research and some effort to find what dose will work no two of us are alike so I don't see how what works for someone will work the same for another but it is in my option a cure for depression. I believe our creator created our earth with all the ingredients we'd need to take care of ourselves and niacin is just more proof of that for me!"

Loving niacin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015