User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

High Cholesterol 36 reviews 49 medications

6.4
Summary of Niacin reviews 58 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Niacin

For Depression: "I had severe depression on and off past few years. This time round it was unbearable and I was literally falling apart mentally. Sadness and torment, that would not go away, anxiety and lack of sleep for over a year etc. I refused taking synthethic meds and decided to give niacin a go. it worked pretty much instantly. I started on about 300mg (severe flush like sunburn and itchy skin), then calmness. I was upping the dosage almost each time, and flushes eased eventually. Now (2 weeks later) I take 1500mg 2-3 times a day and the flush is slight with warm face and chest. Sadness is gone and I feel much more "with it". It seems to be blocking unwanted thoughts. hands down- a true depression cure."

Katyy July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am amazed with the mental effects of Niacin. OK, I started taking it 5 weeks ago to lower my high cholesterol and Tryclicerides off the chart!!! I have been having energy like I had 20 years ago, positive attitude, motivated and I have been on every TCA and SSRI and SNRI and none worked. I feel 25 years younger. My fibro and arthritis is less noticeable, and after a heart attack 3 years ago and 3 stents put in, from December till June, I was having heart palpitations every day that concerned me. After a few days of 1gram of Niacin, for 3 weeks, not ONE heart palpitation whatsoever... This stuff is GREAT!!!!"

Quando62 (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I read all of these reviews with much interest after stumbling across a word called niacin while researching some info on depression as my partner was in a very bad place. He had always suffered depression but the last bout was particularly bad and ongoing and he was getting worse, not better. Very glad I found this, he has been taking it for about a month now, and the changes in him were almost immediate. He just takes enough to experience the slight flush which for him seems to be 300mg which he takes immediately after breakfast and another 300mg again after tea. Experiment is the key to finding the right dose for you as everyone is different. I can't speak highly enough of it. So so relieved!!! I was actually fearful for his life!"

happypartner June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've been a depressive type most of my life, and I've also had problems with alcohol. I recently was prescribed Lexapro but only took it for two days as it felt wrong. I've always had an icky feeling about SSRIs etc. I finally decided to give niacin a go, and within a few hours of the 1st dose I felt ten times better. I'm now on day 5 and slowly upping my dose. I feel better each day and don't feel the sadness that was so paralysing for so long. Only negative side effect is a headache from time to time but it'll pass soon I'm sure. I really enjoy the niacin flush feeling, but only at night. During the day I take the slow release kind but I'm planning to slowly switch to the flushing kind over time as it just feels more effective."

Bonescorp May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "2 years ago my step daughter was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. She couldn't go to school, she was suicidal and completely dysfunctional. She has been on Zoloft since then. We decided with diet and exercise to spend 6 months weening her off the pills which was hard. I read about Niacin and we came off of Zoloft and immediately into this. 3 pills a day, which would make 1500MG. The flushing subsided very fast for her. On day 3 she went for a run, voluntarily. On day 4 she said she would join soccer. 3 weeks in she was better than ever before. I thought, its a fluke and when her pills ran out I accidentally bought flush free Niacin. It took one day to bring her down. Niacin works, she said it lifted the fog."

Banannine April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Really happy it helped me a lot . Severe depression I took it then another dose 2 hours later . I sweated etc felt very chilled then a slight headache . Felt a little tired and sick fell asleep 2 hours. When I woke I felt different I started cleaning my kitchen and bedroom. I lost my daughter Autumn to suicide in Oct . So believe me my depression was severe . Cleaning was a task I could not perform . Thinking more clear with no negative thoughts coming intrusively in my head . I really could not believe it . Gonna try it again tomorrow"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Hi everyone I have to share my story with you all on how I cured my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was on lexapro 3 years ago then when I came off it I got mania and psychosis then I was on olanzapine for 2 years 10mg I cut down to 1.25 mg and the went off completely this was over a couple of months. When I went off it I had terrible withdrawals, panic attacks, and severe depression I couldn't handle it so I went on cymbalta 60 mg that helped a little and 4 months down I was still feeling the side effects from olanzapine withdrawal. That is until 2 weeks ago I came across a video on YouTube about niacin (flush) and how it cured depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I read lots of online reviews and decided to give it a go! 4 days after taking niacin 500mg. ( it has to be the flushing kind) all my withdrawals were completely gone! I couldn't believe it!! My depression and anxiety and panic attacks gone!!! I'm feeling 100% myself! I am now off the cymbalta too! I had to share my story as I want as many people to know and try it! The best thing about it is that you can try it while your on your Meds as it's just a vitamin! I hope my story will help others!"

Lisamurry24 January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I take a small amount, maybe 1/4 cup, of applesauce with my niacin or Niaspan at night and have no flushing. It also works with a half of an apple. It must be the pectin in the apples that stop the flushing but it works 100% of the time for me. But I've been having problems at night --- indigestion, a weird feeling in my chest, itching and sleeplessness, so I am going to start taking it in the morning."

Me-ma October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm diagnosed with multiple sclerosis Before the diagnosis I had a sudden change in my mood form a very happy person to a very depressed person After the diagnosis and failure of 3 kind of treatment for My MS because it escalated my depression I stopped everything And started the following 1. Dr. TerryWahls protocol 2. Vitam B3 3000mg/day It's been 2 years and i haven't got a single relapse And the Vitamin b3 helps with the depression."

Noudii78 October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Been taking nicotinic acid/flushing niacin on and off for about two years. First time i took it, i took 50mg. I Then experienced, to quote My diary " presence, calmness, harmony". I believe 50mg daily is enough for me. If i dont take it, in about three days i become "mentally tortured"; i can not relax, negative thoughts, feel really bad. Maybe some mechanism is wrong somewhere along The line in My serotonin system. If i combine niacin with some tryptophan source (like whey protein) The effects are even better. I would honestly say that niacin has Been a life changer for me, no doubt about that. Have had no side effects that i can think of, maybe decreased appetite in high doses. Also Google niacin and pois if needed. Best Wishes"

Akt1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "i have been on and off antidepressants for 18 years. Only after finding out about niacin 3 years ago has there been any significant improvements in my mental health. I am also a alcoholic, witch makes me super hard to treat. " when I take niacin at a high dose, for me is 3.5 4.5g per day it takes only 3-5 days to forget I was ever depressed to start with, and the want for alchohol subsidies "for me anyway" I have discussed this with my doctor he said it could help with my cholesterol. And advised me to take less, when I do in a matter of days I crash :( For me it is a must In my daily routine. I wish more was shared by GP's On this wonderful thing. Rather than pushing pills. I purchase 2.5kg at a time now"

Steve'O August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Helped anxiety sleep 500Mcg 2x day"

durkinjt8 June 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "Started taking Niacin-B3 500mg a month ago at bed time. About 3 weeks into it I would wake up with stomach pains with the feeling of vomiting, I also had loose bowels, legs hurt, dry skin and itchy rash skin. Stopped taking the meds instantly and called my Dr. Still suffering with rash and itch."

Eiramespr (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I began taking niacin 2 years ago for high cholesterol and after 3 months of taking the vitamin at 500mg/day my cholesterol levels dropped from 260 to 210 with improved ldl and hdl also. I upped the dose to 1000mg a day and have taken for 2 years with current chol level of 189. I not only noticed a reduction in cholesterol but began to feel better and happier. I stopped taking niacin last month and after 1 week started to experience previous anxiety and depression problems that I had been plagued by prior to niacin. I had no idea niacin was so effective in helping with depression until I stopped taking it. I'm back on it and have no worries. "

Cholesterol and depression cur (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on every ssri and different anti-dep the last 15 years. I started Niacin 8 weeks ago. I am now on 1,5 g. Going up to 3 g. Niacin is wonderful. Has helped me so much. Quite amazing. :) Seriously recommend this. Really strange that this is not more known. Use Niacin only after food. I take the 1.5g after work. 3x500mg. Going to start 1.5g Niacinamide during morning/day-time because it doesnt make you flush. Niacinaminde also work for depression, but not the cholesterol. Probably going over to only Niacinaminde after the Niacin is empty. I live in the winter-darkness of Norway, so I also take vitamin-d."

Benbenben December 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've suffered from severe major depression for over a decade with little to no relief from countless medications at a variety of doses. I've been using niacin for two months now and I feel fantastic, it has been a trial and error kind of deal but so worth the effort in finding the balance. I recommend this to everyone suffering it does take research and some effort to find what dose will work no two of us are alike so I don't see how what works for someone will work the same for another but it is in my option a cure for depression. I believe our creator created our earth with all the ingredients we'd need to take care of ourselves and niacin is just more proof of that for me!"

Loving niacin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have suffered with moderate to severe depression my entire life. Last August, after 9 years on Effexor, I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I tried using supplements as recommended by Julia Ross in her book The Mood Cure, but they were not effective for me. My depression became so severe last Oct. that I had to go back on to an anti-depressant (Bupropion) but this medication made my depression much worse. I was then put onto Trintellix in April. The Trintellix was helpful, but side effects soon began to appear. I happened upon an article about a psychiatrist who had used niacin for treating depression. When I googled niacin and depression, I came upon many other blogs and comments from other people who also found niacin to be effective against their struggles with depression. I was desperate to find an alternative to taking anti-depressants, so 4 weeks ago, I began supplementing with niacin plus vitamin C. (I had already been taking a vitamin B multi, magnesium, fish oil and Vit. D). I started with 100mcg niacin and have been gradually increasing the dose by 25mcg increments each day. I use only the regular niacin, not the timed release nor the non-flushing type. Since I started taking the additional niacin & vitamin C, I find that my depression is/has diminished significantly. I am no longer suffering from that bottomless well of depressive feelings that had been with me since last fall. I stopped taking the Trintellix 3 weeks ago and my depression has continued to lift."

jemmunro (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: "I must be really rare because my condition is low cholesterol. My body does not produce enough niacin. My bad cholesterol is at a normal range so are my lipids. I have been on Niaspan for 6 years at least. My cholesterol levels have been steady since. I am at the maximum dose of 2000mg a day. The only problem with it is the flushing. I hate it! I take it at night with a bowl of cereal and a 325 mg entrophen to reduce the flushing."

Nicky08 March 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Niacin has greatly improved my life. My depressive thoughts disappeared right from the start (500mg a day now for 2 weeks. Now going up to 1000mg a day). My girlfriend has also been taking it and we've both been in a greater mood (she's also depressive). Suicidal thoughts are rare now. I no longer flush."

mia9_28 February 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "I have been taking 1500 mg at bedtime for about 4 years. It has lowered my cholesterol some but I'm also taking Zetia and Crestor too at this time. (I have Familial High Cholesterol about 380) I have flushing, but it is mild compared to regular Niacin which I could never tolerate. Flushing is worse if I forget and skip a day. Drinking water helps with the flushing."

42 January 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Off it completely for 2 days now. Acid reflux much better and more importantly no Pronounced heart beats or racing. Feeling normal again thank God. I truly believe after my experience with both Niaspan and Crestor is that they actually starve your heart of the Oxygen it needs if your an athlete. Heart rate problems or potential Arrhythmia's may not be revealed in people who have more sedentary lifestyles. The fact that the new recommendation is to stack COQ10 with the statins should prove that they can rob your heart of energy when you work it hard during intense exercise. "

Trainhard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Posted about a year ago here after I first started a 500 mg nightly regimen of Niaspan. For awhile it appeared as though I would not have the usual side effect of burning skin. However, the Acid reflux I began experiencing began to worsen over time along with gastric problems at night. Then as an active person who is involved in teaching Cardio Boxing classes I began to experience weird feelings in my chest along with a more pronounced heart beat during and after exercise. Felt like I swallowed a Basketball at times. Also could not have any alcohol Beer or Wine while taking this. I decided to stop taking it in fear of creating an Arrythmyia or Stroke during my exercise which also is my Job. This is day one off of it and feel better."

Trainhard (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niacin SR (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Been taking for >20 years at 500mg twice/day. Once you get over flushing side effect in first few months, it has been very effective at lowering and keeping cholesterol at healthy level."

A Wayne April 15, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: "Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200."

GLAD TO BE ALIVE (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Cholesterol: "I've just started Niacin. 250 mg daily for a week, now 500mg. I'm concerned because it shoots my blood pressure up from 125/79 to 166/99 for the hour that the flush lasts. I take it with food at supper time. I get strong flushes about every other day."

DaleXT September 28, 2013