User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR HDL Benefit Niacor

Hyperlipoproteinemia 9.0
Depression 8.7
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL 8.0
High Cholesterol 6.3
Niacin Deficiency 1.5
Summary of Niacin reviews 7.3 98 reviews

Reviews for Niacin

Aliyah · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 27, 2020

For Depression: “Niacin is a life saver. It helps with my anxiety. Unfortunateally it does not give me a 100 % relief, but it eases my anxiety to the point where I can function like a normal person. It makes my GAD/Depression much more manageable. I also add some GABA.”

JR · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

For Depression: “Niacin has done zilch for me”

JR · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For Depression: “niacin Did nothing for my depression even in larger doses.”

Mira · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I started on Niacin flush 500mg for high cholesterol and after the initial flush and rush, I was well and felt better. Then after couple of months my feet and hands started to get white and I was feeling like faint, I was scared and discontinued Niacin flush for good.”

Botticellichik · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

For Depression: “Completely cured my depression”

Dmarq · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

For Depression: “Been suffering from depression and anxiety most of my life. Started taking Solgar Niacin (with the flush) and the change has been like day vs night. Sleeping better, energy in the morning and in the evening (but not affecting sleep), better concentration and mood vastly improved. Started on Solgar Niacin 100mg once a day and moved up to twice a day and feeling great!”

Mr.struggle · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2019

“niacin is good stuff for benzo withdrawal, though watch out to take after meal, and avoid if heart rate is already too high. Still I take it while heart rate from the benzo withdrawal is higher than normal, throws the anxiety flat on ground, and erases the withdrawals for a short period 3 hours. Just enough to kick it down from morning anxiety, and depression. For fatigue this is godsend!”

Tony · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

For Depression: “The 12th of December, I woke up like any other day, it felt kind of normal, but as soon as I was on my way to work, I noticed I didn’t have anxiety. My depression was gone as well. And for some reason I felt like smiling. It was a weird feeling. The day before I had took a just about above average dose of niacin and I think that is what made the difference. Everything else in that day and previous were the same as my days with depression and anxiety. So I figured it had to be my diet since I recently changed it, to track my micronutrient intake. I feel great and like I always wanted to feel, the person above said it best. I feel like I am not the way I felt almost my whole life, I can talk to people now without feeling anxious and feel in a Way better positive mood. I thought my whole life was going to be depressing and I was going to try to have to find a way to live like this. It is amazing!”

Bigal December 9, 2019

For Depression: “No need for niacin. Just cake regular nicotinimide b3 and that way no flushing. I take 500mg twice a day after food, this vit is amazing. Stopped 90% of my anxiety and quietened my intrusive thoughts. Love it. Ten dollars for 60 tablets.”

Tiko · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2019

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I have taken Niaspan 1000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL (from 31 to 39) and keeping my triglycerides low. First time I took it my heart rate went up to 160, I went to emergency room not knowing what is going on with my heart, heart rate came down in hour. No problem since then, I take it with Milk and mix cereal. I tried to stop it for six months and my HDL gone Low to 34 and my triglycerides gone high 203.”

Clarice · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2019

For Depression: “My (male) partner gets low mood and anxiety. Within a few days of taking niacin (no flush) he is a different person, upbeat, positive and happy. If he stops taking it, negative symptoms return. Much rather this natural remedy than drug-based antidepressants.”

Melanie567 October 7, 2019

For Depression: “I recently started using niacin and it completely cured my anxiety depression and alcohol abuse. I really believe that alcoholism is a result of a niacin deficiency. And we are deficient the morning anxiety you have and then you drink to treat that and it's a vicious cycle and creates more deficiency. I am so grateful for this and I'm sharing this with anyone and everyone I can. I was becoming very hopeless and suicidal I had tried everything and nothing was working. This works almost immediately.”

Mom of two September 30, 2019

For Depression: “My daughter, an RN, fell into a severe depression and ended up in the hospital. After taking a multitude of medications, we started her on ketermine infusions and that helped greatly , but didn’t completely rid the negative thoughts quick enough. We started her on niacin - 1500 mg a day, no flush, and her mood and motivation changed instantly!!!!!!! She started going to the gym, out with friends, calmness, and everything became positive within an hour after starting this vitamin. These are facts and I’m grateful to God that we found this information about the Dr that cured depression , just by using niacin daily!”

Nick · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 21, 2019

For Depression: “I am almost 50 years old. I spent most of my life suffering from depression and anxiety. The hard part is the Asian (Eastern) culture do not believe in such ailments. They are signs of weakness and we are taught (expected) to power through it. Mind over matter. I used to use alcohol to medicate myself. Doctors wanted to give me SSRIs, like wellbutrin, zoloft, prozac, and lexapro. I don't wanted any of those drugs. I have plenty of my friends on those medications and I have seen what those meds have done to them. The good news is that three years ago I discovered Niacin. I have been taking them everyday since then. It has lessen my anxiety and depression. I no long drink alcohol. My life took a turn for the better. I am sharing my story because I want others who are suffering depression and anxiety to know of this. Don't give up. Try it.”

Arianna July 27, 2019

“My experience w/ niacin has been a good one. I am taking 3,000 mg daily & it has helped w/ sleep & anxiety. For anyone who's using the flush niacin, Please switch to the FLUSH-FREE & you won't have to deal w/ the flush problem.”

NJ-Jim July 24, 2019

For Depression: “It's 7/24/19. I just started this on 7/20. Been taking Viibryd for about 6 months now (40mg). It was working fine for a while, but I started to see the benefits weaning. I bought 1,000 of the 500mg tabs . I took 1,000mg the first day. The flush was little intense for about 45 minutes (itching and flushing of skin). It went away and my depression did too! The next day I took 1,500 mg. The flushing was not as bad as the day before and I felt great. I've been taking 2,000mg a day and I've felt better than I have for 25 years. I think my sweet spot is between 1,500 and 2,000mg per day. As of today, the flushing is VERY minor. I suggest you try this. Now..I'm a type 2 diabetic on medication for control (no insulin). I heard that this can increase sugar in the blood. I hope this doesn't make me have to stop. I'm hoping I can ween off of the Vybriid. This niacin seems like a magical drug, and the best part is it's not a drug...it's a vitamin!!!”

Health Junkie · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For Depression: “Lowered my feelings of anxiety & depression but raised my blood sugar to prediabetes levels. Make sure to monitor your blood glucose levels if you take niacin.”

Arianna July 13, 2019

For Depression: “For anyone who's taking niacin & getting the flush please consider taking the NON-FLUSH niacin, 1000 to 3000 mg instead of the regular one.”

Jim M · Taken for 10 years or more July 5, 2019

Niacin SR (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I have been taking Niacin SR 2000mg nightly with Zeta 10mg nightly and no side effects except a little flushing. Cholesterol has been well under 100 all the time. Dr tells me I need to take Repatha instead which has some very bad side effects. May need to change something/someone else.”

FC · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2019

For Depression: “I (23 year old woman) have struggled for years with depression and anxiety, but this past year the depression got much worse. I lost 50 pounds and almost got fired from my teaching job for it. Anyway, I started taking niacin during a two week depressive episode and it helped a lot. The episode ended by the second day of taking niacin, and I haven't felt "at risk" of going back there since. I take 1000 mg a day, split morning and night. I also take 50 mg of 5-HTP right before bed.”

CocoCampbell · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2019

Slo-Niacin (niacin): “Can't tolerate Niacin (flush) try Niacinamide, It is as effective for schizophrenia and depression! My Son weaned off Abilify/Lorazepam using Niacinamide 3,000 mg a day, all after 2 weeks! My Sister uses 500mg 2,x/day for long standing depression is gone, after 2 weeks! Truth, ecstatic!”

Coco · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2019

“Try Niacin in the Niacinamide form for schizophrenia. Niacin causes a flush, Niacinamide does not. Son diagnosed with schizophrenia. Has been on Geodon, Invega, Abiblify and Lorazepam. Used Dr. Abram Hoffer's regimen Niacinamide 3,000 mg per day and Vitamin C 3,000 mg per day. Half AM, half PM. Took 1 week with regular medicines (Abilify 15 mg. a day and Lorazepam 1 mg. 3 times a day) started decreasing the Abilify. Taking 1/2 of the Abilify for 1 week and then 1/2 tablet of Abilify every other day. Third week, cut the Abilify out altogether. Have to take at least 3,000 mg a day of the Niacinamide (Niacin) for optimal benefit. After 21 days of Niacinamide he was on no Abilify and 1/2 mg of Lorazepam 2x a day. Lowering that too. Has no compulsive thoughts, or paranoia/hallucinations. Peace, no more depersonalization. Niacinamide in 1500 mg dosage. ”

Jan · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 27, 2019

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I have been taking Niaspan 2000 for the last 8 years with ok results. But the last time I went to the Dr. my cholesterol was 220. The Dr put me on Zetia since I cannot take statins. Unfortunately Zetia had the same reaction on my body as statins. Terrible joint pain. After only 10 days I had to stop. I was hoping it would be the answer but it wasn't. I went back on Niaspan. I watch what I eat and have been a vegetarian for 45 years. Dr said it was hereditary that my liver makes too much cholesterol and it was not my diet. I am at the end of my rope now if the Niaspan stops working. Suggestions?”

Wael · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2019

For Depression: “Didn't help in my case as I have chronic depression, started with 500 mg flush type up to 3g per a day, not helping I guess only thing I get flushy everyday.”

Lola · Taken for 10 years or more December 29, 2018

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I took maximum dose of Niaspan for over ten years. The drug raised the uric acid levels in my body and gave me horrible gout attack’s and raised my blood sugar levels to prediabetic. Do not take this drug.”