User Reviews for Niacin (Page 4)

Also known as: Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR HDL Benefit Niacor

Hyperlipoproteinemia 9.0
Depression 8.7
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL 8.0
High Cholesterol 6.3
Niacin Deficiency 1.5
Summary of Niacin reviews 7.3 98 reviews

Reviews for Niacin

baby marge March 19, 2013

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red.”

Dan0 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 6, 2012

For High Cholesterol: “I started taking Niacin for my high cholesterol about two years ago. I was taking 500mg at dinner every day with no noticeable side effects for about a year. I decided to increase the dosage. 1000mg at dinner time. My teeth began to bother me. I didn't make the connection at first. I never have problems with my teeth. I eventually figured out it was the Niacin. I quit taking it and my teeth quit aching. Anyway. I wanted to put this out there for others that might be having this experience. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2012

Niaspan (niacin) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL: “I have been taking Niaspan ER 2000mg for three months. I am scheduled to get my first lab tests to determine its effectiveness on lowering my elevated Lpa level and whether my liver function is okay. I have noticed that the medicine needs to be taken by 930 or 1000pm. If I take the medication too late in the evening, I still can feel the effects of Niaspan when I get up for work the next morning. I also noticed that taking it with water alone, causes the symptoms to be much worse than taking it with a small glass of milk or snack. So I take it before 10pm with a small glass of milk or snack, and there seems to be very little symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2012

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Problems with flushing until doctor told me not to eat strawberries or chocolate in the evening. I can eat them before lunch. I take Niaspan on going to bed. I eat 2 Graham crackers and 8 oz of milk when I take it. This has resolved all my problems with the medicine.”

Still crazy, but under control! March 13, 2012

For Depression: “I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush.”

Anonymous February 23, 2012

For High Cholesterol: “Lowered triglycerides by 50%. Severe muscle ache in legs. Discontinued.”

tochoj October 16, 2011

For High Cholesterol: “After two years of taking 1g per day I developed a rash; at first with itch then it seemed to be like a very bad sunburn. Areas affected included ankles, legs, thighs, belly and biceps. A trip to the doctor, I stopped taking and went home to lots of cool showers. After a week of walking around the house naked (just the touch of clothes caused burning and itching) the rash has begun to subside. ”

Beepoo October 1, 2011

For Depression: “Great for depression and great for my hair.”

Anonymous September 25, 2011

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Lowered my cholesterol but after 6 weeks I had to discontinue due to hives.”

Anonymous September 19, 2011

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “When major diet changes and exercise hardly changed cholesterol at all I was started on 1500mg Niaspan. I do experience flushing, several times a month. Wake up hot and feel like I am burning up and itchy all over. If it delays another heart attack like 14 years ago it is a small price to pay.”

angelfish0443 August 26, 2011

For High Cholesterol: “The third dose I took affected me very negatively as I broke out in hives and looked like I had a bad sunburn and I was scratching like crazy. ”

BeeJayGee April 7, 2011

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I have taken Niaspan 2000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL and keeping my triglycerides low. For years, I had minimal problems with flushing. But now recently, I have had a number of episodes where I have woken up in the middle of the night with almost unbearable itching/burning skin. I took a break from the Niaspan for a couple nights, and then when I tried it again the itching was worse. I am going to have to discontinue this and consult with my doctor about what to do next to keep my numbers good.”

bewitch1 February 13, 2011

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I've been on Niaspan for about 2 months, and its has been like a miracle medicine for my condition. I suffer with ulcers really bad on my fingers. Before starting the Niaspan I had ulcers on every finger on both hands (very, very, painful), was on pain medicines constantly, however I'm now off the pain medicines since last week, ulcers are drying up tremendously. The flushing is awful, the burning, and itching is hard to describe. I called my doctor and he said we can try something else, but this is working and I'm trying to hang with it. ”

Anonymous January 16, 2011

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Went on Niacin @ 8000mg fifteen years ago. Now on Niaspan @ 2000mg for last five years. First medicine that has worked well with my body. My HDL stays in the 70s and total Cholesterol under 120. Dosing time and other foods have to be managed to suppress flushing. ”

chelofte December 27, 2010

For High Cholesterol: “I've been taking 500 mg niacin tablets twice daily (morning and night) for 5 years to treat congenitally low levels of HDL. Over that time, my HDL levels have increased from 25 to 60, and triglycerides have dropped from 150 to 60. The niacin treatment has been so successful that I have managed to drop simvastatin (Zocor) from my regimen. I still get mild flushing symptoms occasionally, but it is a small price to pay for the great results.”

Ashleyp74 December 21, 2010

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “We believe this medication Niaspan has caused liver failure in our father, that is what the Doctors told us so please anyone on this please have your liver function tested. It is easily doe by a blood test.”

Anonymous November 24, 2010

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Been taking time release 2000mg at night for three years now, don't know why it's so expensive but it's the only thing that has ever raised my good cholesterol. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do have the heat feelings but can live with it. Whatever raises my good cholesterol is the best I can do, since it's so low!”

derec November 17, 2010

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I use the niacin regularly. My numbers show a slow moderation, my doctor is pleased. I use not at night, it disturbed my sleep. Thanks.”

badta00 October 27, 2010

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I've been taking it for five years now. I've only had one episode of flushing since starting this medication. I took a Zantac at the same time as the 2000mg Niaspan and I woke up feeling like I was on fire. But I've had no problems since then.”

P Kallgren October 10, 2010

For High Cholesterol: “I have been taking 3000 MG, 1500 twice a day, of non time released niacin for 8 years and have maintained my cholesterol levels at around 125-130 for that time. This is a drop of about 30 points for me. It was recommended by my doctor. He also gave me instructions on how to work up this dosing level over a 6 week period. I only have occasional flushing issues usually after missing a dose these are usually mild and last less than 5 mins.”

Blushed November 9, 2009

For Depression: “I recently watched the movie Food Matters and learned that Niacin can be used to treat depression and alcoholism in addition to high cholesterol. I began taking last week, and have noticed a gradual improvement in my mood as I increase the dosage. Make sure you start low and increase gradually, though: the first time I took it I took 100mg with a light snack and ended up stripping down and standing in my kitchen panting, but there were no lasting negative effects.”

JessieNC October 15, 2009

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I participate in a Niaspan clinical trial and take 2000mg/day along with Zocor and Zetia. I'm 65 and have severe arteriosclerosis. This combination of drugs has made a dramatic difference in my cholesterol numbers. I find that I don't have the "flushing" (actually more like BURNING) if I take the Niaspan EVERY night and follow the asperin, applesauce and wheat crackers technique. It's rather a hassle but I think worth the trouble.”

lov1254 August 19, 2009

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “I started on Niaspan for 2 months 500 at night. I had no problems at all. I took an asprin 1/2 hr. before then ate a snack, cottage cheese and never had no flushing, or anything. I was to take two 500 a night. But when I checked the price at WalMart they was $15?.00 for a 30 day supply. I just bought the flush free Niacin been taking them now for a week and still no flushing, or felt no different. I have no problems so far with them. Soon as I have my blood test again I will let you know how they did for me.”

Anonymous August 9, 2009

Slo-Niacin (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “Two tabs (1000 mg) lowered my total cholesterol by 30 points. Added one more tablet daily (1500 mg) which will hopefully put my cholesterol at a 'good' level. Initial side effects of flushing and weird-feeling was lessened by one baby aspirin 1/2 an hour prior to taking the niacin, but mostly by taking the niacin immediately before getting into bed at night. Eventually I stopped the aspirin (lots of bruising) and notice that I am no longer sensitive (flushing and weird feelings are gone). So far it's great, especially since prior to starting I lost 35 pounds, stopped eating red meat and dairy products, and began/continue on a daily exercise (walking) program to no avail in reducing my cholesterol.”

Anonymous August 4, 2009

Niaspan (niacin) for High Cholesterol: “After a few days of taking this medication, I was awoken in the middle of night with the the warm red rash on my abdomen which was also extremely itchy. After 3 consecutive nights of the same reaction, I discontinued the medicine and called my doctor. He changed my prescription to another cholesterol medicine.”