User Reviews for Niacin to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Niaspan, Slo-Niacin, B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR HDL Benefit Niacor

Niacin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Niacin

Mira · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2020

“I started on Niacin flush 500mg for high cholesterol and after the initial flush and rush, I was well and felt better. Then after couple of months my feet and hands started to get white and I was feeling like faint, I was scared and discontinued Niacin flush for good.”

Tiko · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2019

Niaspan (niacin): “I have taken Niaspan 1000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL (from 31 to 39) and keeping my triglycerides low. First time I took it my heart rate went up to 160, I went to emergency room not knowing what is going on with my heart, heart rate came down in hour. No problem since then, I take it with Milk and mix cereal. I tried to stop it for six months and my HDL gone Low to 34 and my triglycerides gone high 203.”

Jim M · Taken for 10 years or more July 5, 2019

Niacin SR (niacin): “I have been taking Niacin SR 2000mg nightly with Zeta 10mg nightly and no side effects except a little flushing. Cholesterol has been well under 100 all the time. Dr tells me I need to take Repatha instead which has some very bad side effects. May need to change something/someone else.”

Jan · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 27, 2019

Niaspan (niacin): “I have been taking Niaspan 2000 for the last 8 years with ok results. But the last time I went to the Dr. my cholesterol was 220. The Dr put me on Zetia since I cannot take statins. Unfortunately Zetia had the same reaction on my body as statins. Terrible joint pain. After only 10 days I had to stop. I was hoping it would be the answer but it wasn't. I went back on Niaspan. I watch what I eat and have been a vegetarian for 45 years. Dr said it was hereditary that my liver makes too much cholesterol and it was not my diet. I am at the end of my rope now if the Niaspan stops working. Suggestions?”

Lola · Taken for 10 years or more December 29, 2018

Niaspan (niacin): “I took maximum dose of Niaspan for over ten years. The drug raised the uric acid levels in my body and gave me horrible gout attack’s and raised my blood sugar levels to prediabetic. Do not take this drug.”

Michael Parish · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 22, 2017

“I started taking niacin to increase HDL and lower LDL because I suffered a heart attack a couple of years ago. It did raise my HDL and Lower the LDL a bit, but not all that much. HOWEVER, I noted an unexpected benefit. For years I would wake in the middle of night to go to the bathroom and found I was soaked in sweat. I was having disturbing dreams. They weren't terrible. Most dreams consisted of things like parking my car in a large lot and not being able to find it. Also being lost in a strange city. Or, getting a new job and not having a clue what I was doing while trying to prevent my boss from finding out how confused I was. Once I started the niacin the strange dream were gone as were the night sweats.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2017

“I have been taking Niacin for 14 days and developed a severe allergic reaction that landed me in the ER! I looked like I was burnt and the pain was unbearable! I had to have 3 shots of Epipen before I got any relief! Why does it take so long for this medicine to cause and allergic reaction? I am just lucky that the pain woke me up otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this!”

COMPLICATIONS...SIDE EFFECTS · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2017

“I have been taking niacin ER for about 2 weeks and have many headaches at night and waking up all times of the night due to pain. I am on CPAP also which I think does not help. Plus joint pain during the day. I just don't like the feeling with this drug. ”

Anonymous September 19, 2017

Niacin SR (niacin): “I had never taken a medication that had me in fear for my live like Niacin, the pain, redness, flushing, rash, and drooping of the face was horrible only after the 2nd pill, it is a very worrisome medication I would never take it again”

Frank 12 August 2, 2017

Niaspan (niacin): “Had high Triglycerides for more than a decade. Was on Niaspan for much of that time. Little or no impact on my numbers (continually had 400 level Triglycerides or higher) My daughter, a nursing student, suggested I look at something different. Finally moved to Lopid. Take 1 pill when I wake up, and one 30 minutes before my evening meal. Since taking Lopid, I've not had a number higher than 150, and I'm eating what I want. I realize that Niaspan might work for some. But if it's not working for you, I strongly recommend trying Lopid.”

Me-ma October 31, 2016

“I take a small amount, maybe 1/4 cup, of applesauce with my niacin or Niaspan at night and have no flushing. It also works with a half of an apple. It must be the pectin in the apples that stop the flushing but it works 100% of the time for me. But I've been having problems at night --- indigestion, a weird feeling in my chest, itching and sleeplessness, so I am going to start taking it in the morning.”

Eiramespr · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2016

“Started taking Niacin-B3 500mg a month ago at bed time. About 3 weeks into it I would wake up with stomach pains with the feeling of vomiting, I also had loose bowels, legs hurt, dry skin and itchy rash skin. Stopped taking the meds instantly and called my Dr. Still suffering with rash and itch.”

42 January 16, 2015

Niaspan (niacin): “I have been taking 1500 mg at bedtime for about 4 years. It has lowered my cholesterol some but I'm also taking Zetia and Crestor too at this time. (I have Familial High Cholesterol about 380) I have flushing, but it is mild compared to regular Niacin which I could never tolerate. Flushing is worse if I forget and skip a day. Drinking water helps with the flushing.”

Trainhard · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2014

Niaspan (niacin): “Off it completely for 2 days now. Acid reflux much better and more importantly no Pronounced heart beats or racing. Feeling normal again thank God. I truly believe after my experience with both Niaspan and Crestor is that they actually starve your heart of the Oxygen it needs if your an athlete. Heart rate problems or potential Arrhythmia's may not be revealed in people who have more sedentary lifestyles. The fact that the new recommendation is to stack COQ10 with the statins should prove that they can rob your heart of energy when you work it hard during intense exercise. ”

Trainhard · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 16, 2014

Niaspan (niacin): “Posted about a year ago here after I first started a 500 mg nightly regimen of Niaspan. For awhile it appeared as though I would not have the usual side effect of burning skin. However, the Acid reflux I began experiencing began to worsen over time along with gastric problems at night. Then as an active person who is involved in teaching Cardio Boxing classes I began to experience weird feelings in my chest along with a more pronounced heart beat during and after exercise. Felt like I swallowed a Basketball at times. Also could not have any alcohol Beer or Wine while taking this. I decided to stop taking it in fear of creating an Arrythmyia or Stroke during my exercise which also is my Job. This is day one off of it and feel better.”

A Wayne April 15, 2014

Niacin SR (niacin): “Been taking for >20 years at 500mg twice/day. Once you get over flushing side effect in first few months, it has been very effective at lowering and keeping cholesterol at healthy level.”

GLAD TO BE ALIVE · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2014

Niaspan (niacin): “Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200.”

DaleXT September 28, 2013

“I've just started Niacin. 250 mg daily for a week, now 500mg. I'm concerned because it shoots my blood pressure up from 125/79 to 166/99 for the hour that the flush lasts. I take it with food at supper time. I get strong flushes about every other day.”

Trainhard July 29, 2013

Niaspan (niacin): “Age 51. Went to get my regular bloodwork with my Doctor. My cholestral has always been >200 and have a family history of Heart Attack and stroke. I tried everything over the years including Crestor which was an absolute disaster for me after only 4 doses. Since then tried the natural methods Red Yeast Rice (may as well be on a statin the side effects are basically the same) and lots of fish and Krill oil. I was disappointed that my bad cholesterol was high after all that still and my number was 219 total. Based on my unwillingness to try another Statin my Dr. suggested a 500mg pill of Niaspan to be taken nightly. I have experienced no flushing as yet after a month on it and really no bad side effects. New blood results 192! Will check back in 3 mos.”

braziej · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2013

B3-500-Gr (niacin): “My cholesterol has dropped 21 points since I started taking Niacin. The only side effects I experience is flushing of the body (like prickly heat) and itching sensations.”

goyapiel June 12, 2013

Niaspan (niacin): “Gave me rash/hives.”

printer bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 23, 2013

Niaspan (niacin): “I take 1000mg two times a day. Taking 325 mg aspirin before I take the Niaspan helps with the flushing. I have been on Niaspan for about 3 years now, my numbers are down 10%. The little bit of flushing I do get is a lot better than the severe joint pain I had with the statin medications. I recommend taking Niaspan. It is working for me.”

StrongOne · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2013

Slo-Niacin (niacin): “My doctor wanted me to take statins with 225 cholesterol. I didn't want to (63 yrs old). She then suggested 500 mg of Slo-Niacin twice a day with a baby aspirin. I started it but in a few days I was terribly constipated. I backed off to once a day which helped. Then I started taking potassium iodine (kelp) and the constipation problem is completely solved - better than ever as I've always been constipated - probably slow thyroid. Anyway, when I was taking the two Slo-Niacins a day, I felt 20 years younger. Going up a flight of stairs felt like walking on a flat surface. Now one a day so I only feel 10 years younger. I went on a hike yesterday where I walked on a steep path for 45 min and it was like flat again. ”

baby marge March 19, 2013

Niaspan (niacin): “Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red.”

Dan0 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 6, 2012

“I started taking Niacin for my high cholesterol about two years ago. I was taking 500mg at dinner every day with no noticeable side effects for about a year. I decided to increase the dosage. 1000mg at dinner time. My teeth began to bother me. I didn't make the connection at first. I never have problems with my teeth. I eventually figured out it was the Niacin. I quit taking it and my teeth quit aching. Anyway. I wanted to put this out there for others that might be having this experience. ”