User Reviews for Niacin to treat Depression

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niaspan ER, Slo-Niacin

Niacin Rating Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Niacin

"Didn't help in my case as I have chronic depression, started with 500 mg flush type up to 3g per a day, not helping I guess only thing I get flushy everyday."

Wael (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2019

"It cured my depression at 3g a day....it cures schizophrenia and bipolar and also aids in constipation to combat anti psychotics"

Guineym (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

"I'm trying Niacin both for getting off of Clonazepam and for anxiety. I need more instructions on how to find my optimal dose. I took my first 100 mg pill after a meal and had significant flushing about an hour later that lasted for 30 min. I heard the flushing reduces in time Dr. Abram Hoffer's optimal dose was 3,000 mg (1000 after each meal) but said everyone is different. "

Faith120 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

"This review is for both niacin and niacinamide. Got off Zoloft after taking it for only 2 weeks due to its insane side effects and worsening depression! Had a psychiatrist appointment coming up in two weeks from that point, which was the beginning of the week. After being diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I’ve suspected of being over methylated, which could be the reason I didn’t fare well with SSRI .I took niacinamide 500mg and wow! Boost of energy, positivity, and optimism! However only lasted for like 4 days. Hypomania? I’ve tried up to 1500mg a day for a few days, and that feeling never came back, some low mood and anxiety only. I then read that flush niacin would be more effective. So I bought niacin 100mg. Took like 500mg to flush, and it gave me a sense of calmness and prevention of lower moods. Same thing, only lasted for a few days. I went up as much as 1800mg/ day, split doses, and never got a consistent effect. Already threw away bottles. Wouldn’t try again."

Hotcoldupdownleftright August 15, 2018

"I can't recommend this vitamin enough! For the last couple of years my mind was plagued with lots of intrusive thoughts (OCD). It started with one thing and from then the cycle went on and on and on. Each time I got very anxious and later on even to the point that I got more and more depressed. My doctor recommended to take an SSRI, but somehow I didn't like that. So I've looked up for natural supplements and finally read more about Niacin. So I've ordered it online and it works! I'm so happy!! I also sleep way much better than since a long time and the intrusive thoughts have been reduced. Sometimes they are there, but that constant feeling of sadness and regret is gone! Everyone who has mental health issues should try this! I've started with 100 gram (I've been using Solgar's Niacin) and I've been upgrading the dosage each time (currently I take 500 on a daily basis)."

loviedovie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

"I have been taking 300-500 mg of niacin (split dose) for a few weeks now. My anxiety and depression symptoms have improved greatly. I feel so much more calm and I am sleeping better. I was doing some research and this is likely related to a genetic trait which affects the metabolism of tryptophan. My flushing symptoms were pretty intense at first but have improved. It's totally worth it. I have read that the slow release niacin is no good and can cause liver damage. The regular, immediate release niacin is what works for me and I split the dose throughout the day. It works for me."

Diane (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

"No effect on my mood."

Cyd7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

"I have suffered from epilepsy and depression since childhood. With a number of SSRI meds and finally Wellbutrin I could never find total relief. But about one year ago I began adding supplements to my fruit and veggie diet. B-3 was the first. I began using 1gram per day and later dropped to half a gram per day. Very notable change in my mood and anxiety disorders. I sleep a full eight hours and wake up with no anxiety. Positive, upbeat and very few moments of sadness as long as I'm taking the B-3. If I stop for two or three days, I'm back in the black! This stuff works for me. I won't be shopping for a new drug anymore."

Anonymous February 3, 2018

"Tryptophan is being used by the body to create niacin, if you are deficient in niacin. Tryptophan is also the precursor to serotonin - the feel good neurotransmitter. This means that: Niacin + Tryptophan (or small doses of 5-htp) should give you a good dose of serotonin naturally. Since the The tryptophan/5-htp can be used to deliver serotonin directly. If you use niacin with whey protein you will get Tryptophan and tyrosine and a lot of other amino acids. Just wanted to say that my mood lifts significantly with this formula -> Niacin + tryptophan or small doses of 5-htp. Add Tyrosine if needed, or combine with whey protein/amino acid complex."

Akt1 January 19, 2018

"I originally took niacin up to 1000mg for cholesterol, when I noticed it helps with depression and anxiety. At first I thought it was a placebo effect, but it was too consistent and tangible. I started at 50mg and very slowly increased up to 1000mg, with antidepressant and anti anxiety benefits felt at 200mg and improving as I increased the dosage."

Davet9 January 2, 2018

"I'm so excited how niacin has changed my life.. I've suffered from depression and anxiety attacks for years. It started when I was 7th grade.. I'm now 62yr old and been through many drugs and doctors.. When I decided to try niacin it was the last straw for me. With the help and support of my daughter she insisted for me to give it a try. She is taking classes to become nutritionist and came across info on this supplement called niacin and read great testimonies. So I took her advice and began to take it. I'm so amazed how it has lifted my depression, anxiety, and unwanted fear. I feel like a new person, confident , happy and wanting to endeavor in new activities.. Nothing is holding me back!! There is hope for me now.."

Anna C. October 1, 2017

"How effective is niacin in treating depression? What dose is best? How to long to treat?"

Februaryfriendly1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 26, 2017

"The real benefit of niacin is when you take very high doses and consistently. Keep them in your pocket."

Fractal12 August 4, 2017

"I was taking welbutrin xl for depression. I found that it's effect lessened after time. After hearing about Niacin, I decided to give it a try. 3 years later, I still take it daily. 1000 mg of no flush Niacin has helped keep my depression in check. No symptoms at all. I highly recommend anyone with depression to at least try it. I also found that Niacin starts working much faster than traditional medication."

Roger Belknap July 27, 2017

"I had severe depression on and off past few years. This time round it was unbearable and I was literally falling apart mentally. Sadness and torment, that would not go away, anxiety and lack of sleep for over a year etc. I refused taking synthethic meds and decided to give niacin a go. it worked pretty much instantly. I started on about 300mg (severe flush like sunburn and itchy skin), then calmness. I was upping the dosage almost each time, and flushes eased eventually. Now (2 weeks later) I take 1500mg 2-3 times a day and the flush is slight with warm face and chest. Sadness is gone and I feel much more "with it". It seems to be blocking unwanted thoughts. hands down- a true depression cure."

Katyy July 22, 2017

"I am amazed with the mental effects of Niacin. OK, I started taking it 5 weeks ago to lower my high cholesterol and Tryclicerides off the chart!!! I have been having energy like I had 20 years ago, positive attitude, motivated and I have been on every TCA and SSRI and SNRI and none worked. I feel 25 years younger. My fibro and arthritis is less noticeable, and after a heart attack 3 years ago and 3 stents put in, from December till June, I was having heart palpitations every day that concerned me. After a few days of 1gram of Niacin, for 3 weeks, not ONE heart palpitation whatsoever... This stuff is GREAT!!!!"

Quando62 (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

"I read all of these reviews with much interest after stumbling across a word called niacin while researching some info on depression as my partner was in a very bad place. He had always suffered depression but the last bout was particularly bad and ongoing and he was getting worse, not better. Very glad I found this, he has been taking it for about a month now, and the changes in him were almost immediate. He just takes enough to experience the slight flush which for him seems to be 300mg which he takes immediately after breakfast and another 300mg again after tea. Experiment is the key to finding the right dose for you as everyone is different. I can't speak highly enough of it. So so relieved!!! I was actually fearful for his life!"

happypartner June 6, 2017

"I've been a depressive type most of my life, and I've also had problems with alcohol. I recently was prescribed Lexapro but only took it for two days as it felt wrong. I've always had an icky feeling about SSRIs etc. I finally decided to give niacin a go, and within a few hours of the 1st dose I felt ten times better. I'm now on day 5 and slowly upping my dose. I feel better each day and don't feel the sadness that was so paralysing for so long. Only negative side effect is a headache from time to time but it'll pass soon I'm sure. I really enjoy the niacin flush feeling, but only at night. During the day I take the slow release kind but I'm planning to slowly switch to the flushing kind over time as it just feels more effective."

Bonescorp May 7, 2017

"2 years ago my step daughter was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. She couldn't go to school, she was suicidal and completely dysfunctional. She has been on Zoloft since then. We decided with diet and exercise to spend 6 months weening her off the pills which was hard. I read about Niacin and we came off of Zoloft and immediately into this. 3 pills a day, which would make 1500MG. The flushing subsided very fast for her. On day 3 she went for a run, voluntarily. On day 4 she said she would join soccer. 3 weeks in she was better than ever before. I thought, its a fluke and when her pills ran out I accidentally bought flush free Niacin. It took one day to bring her down. Niacin works, she said it lifted the fog."

Banannine April 28, 2017

"Really happy it helped me a lot . Severe depression I took it then another dose 2 hours later . I sweated etc felt very chilled then a slight headache . Felt a little tired and sick fell asleep 2 hours. When I woke I felt different I started cleaning my kitchen and bedroom. I lost my daughter Autumn to suicide in Oct . So believe me my depression was severe . Cleaning was a task I could not perform . Thinking more clear with no negative thoughts coming intrusively in my head . I really could not believe it . Gonna try it again tomorrow"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

"Hi everyone I have to share my story with you all on how I cured my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was on lexapro 3 years ago then when I came off it I got mania and psychosis then I was on olanzapine for 2 years 10mg I cut down to 1.25 mg and the went off completely this was over a couple of months. When I went off it I had terrible withdrawals, panic attacks, and severe depression I couldn't handle it so I went on cymbalta 60 mg that helped a little and 4 months down I was still feeling the side effects from olanzapine withdrawal. That is until 2 weeks ago I came across a video on YouTube about niacin (flush) and how it cured depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I read lots of online reviews and decided to give it a go! 4 days after taking niacin 500mg. ( it has to be the flushing kind) all my withdrawals were completely gone! I couldn't believe it!! My depression and anxiety and panic attacks gone!!! I'm feeling 100% myself! I am now off the cymbalta too! I had to share my story as I want as many people to know and try it! The best thing about it is that you can try it while your on your Meds as it's just a vitamin! I hope my story will help others!"

Lisamurry24 January 18, 2017

"I'm diagnosed with multiple sclerosis Before the diagnosis I had a sudden change in my mood form a very happy person to a very depressed person After the diagnosis and failure of 3 kind of treatment for My MS because it escalated my depression I stopped everything And started the following 1. Dr. TerryWahls protocol 2. Vitam B3 3000mg/day It's been 2 years and i haven't got a single relapse And the Vitamin b3 helps with the depression."

Noudii78 October 25, 2016

"Been taking nicotinic acid/flushing niacin on and off for about two years. First time i took it, i took 50mg. I Then experienced, to quote My diary " presence, calmness, harmony". I believe 50mg daily is enough for me. If i dont take it, in about three days i become "mentally tortured"; i can not relax, negative thoughts, feel really bad. Maybe some mechanism is wrong somewhere along The line in My serotonin system. If i combine niacin with some tryptophan source (like whey protein) The effects are even better. I would honestly say that niacin has Been a life changer for me, no doubt about that. Have had no side effects that i can think of, maybe decreased appetite in high doses. Also Google niacin and pois if needed. Best Wishes"

Akt1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

"i have been on and off antidepressants for 18 years. Only after finding out about niacin 3 years ago has there been any significant improvements in my mental health. I am also a alcoholic, witch makes me super hard to treat. " when I take niacin at a high dose, for me is 3.5 4.5g per day it takes only 3-5 days to forget I was ever depressed to start with, and the want for alchohol subsidies "for me anyway" I have discussed this with my doctor he said it could help with my cholesterol. And advised me to take less, when I do in a matter of days I crash :( For me it is a must In my daily routine. I wish more was shared by GP's On this wonderful thing. Rather than pushing pills. I purchase 2.5kg at a time now"

Steve'O August 11, 2016

"Helped anxiety sleep 500Mcg 2x day"

durkinjt8 June 25, 2016