User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

Niacin Rating Summary

9.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Niacin to treat Depression

"i have been on and off antidepressants for 18 years. Only after finding out about niacin 3 years ago has there been any significant improvements in my mental health. I am also a alcoholic, witch makes me super hard to treat. " when I take niacin at a high dose, for me is 3.5 4.5g per day it takes only 3-5 days to forget I was ever depressed to start with, and the want for alchohol subsidies "for me anyway" I have discussed this with my doctor he said it could help with my cholesterol. And advised me to take less, when I do in a matter of days I crash :( For me it is a must In my daily routine. I wish more was shared by GP's On this wonderful thing. Rather than pushing pills. I purchase 2.5kg at a time now"

Steve'O August 11, 2016

"Helped anxiety sleep 500Mcg 2x day"

durkinjt8 June 25, 2016

"I began taking niacin 2 years ago for high cholesterol and after 3 months of taking the vitamin at 500mg/day my cholesterol levels dropped from 260 to 210 with improved ldl and hdl also. I upped the dose to 1000mg a day and have taken for 2 years with current chol level of 189. I not only noticed a reduction in cholesterol but began to feel better and happier. I stopped taking niacin last month and after 1 week started to experience previous anxiety and depression problems that I had been plagued by prior to niacin. I had no idea niacin was so effective in helping with depression until I stopped taking it. I'm back on it and have no worries. "

Cholesterol and depression cur (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2016

"I have been on every ssri and different anti-dep the last 15 years. I started Niacin 8 weeks ago. I am now on 1,5 g. Going up to 3 g. Niacin is wonderful. Has helped me so much. Quite amazing. :) Seriously recommend this. Really strange that this is not more known. Use Niacin only after food. I take the 1.5g after work. 3x500mg. Going to start 1.5g Niacinamide during morning/day-time because it doesnt make you flush. Niacinaminde also work for depression, but not the cholesterol. Probably going over to only Niacinaminde after the Niacin is empty. I live in the winter-darkness of Norway, so I also take vitamin-d."

Benbenben December 4, 2015

"I've suffered from severe major depression for over a decade with little to no relief from countless medications at a variety of doses. I've been using niacin for two months now and I feel fantastic, it has been a trial and error kind of deal but so worth the effort in finding the balance. I recommend this to everyone suffering it does take research and some effort to find what dose will work no two of us are alike so I don't see how what works for someone will work the same for another but it is in my option a cure for depression. I believe our creator created our earth with all the ingredients we'd need to take care of ourselves and niacin is just more proof of that for me!"

Loving niacin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

"I have suffered with moderate to severe depression my entire life. Last August, after 9 years on Effexor, I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I tried using supplements as recommended by Julia Ross in her book The Mood Cure, but they were not effective for me. My depression became so severe last Oct. that I had to go back on to an anti-depressant (Bupropion) but this medication made my depression much worse. I was then put onto Trintellix in April. The Trintellix was helpful, but side effects soon began to appear. I happened upon an article about a psychiatrist who had used niacin for treating depression. When I googled niacin and depression, I came upon many other blogs and comments from other people who also found niacin to be effective against their struggles with depression. I was desperate to find an alternative to taking anti-depressants, so 4 weeks ago, I began supplementing with niacin plus vitamin C. (I had already been taking a vitamin B multi, magnesium, fish oil and Vit. D). I started with 100mcg niacin and have been gradually increasing the dose by 25mcg increments each day. I use only the regular niacin, not the timed release nor the non-flushing type. Since I started taking the additional niacin & vitamin C, I find that my depression is/has diminished significantly. I am no longer suffering from that bottomless well of depressive feelings that had been with me since last fall. I stopped taking the Trintellix 3 weeks ago and my depression has continued to lift."

jemmunro (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Niacin has greatly improved my life. My depressive thoughts disappeared right from the start (500mg a day now for 2 weeks. Now going up to 1000mg a day). My girlfriend has also been taking it and we've both been in a greater mood (she's also depressive). Suicidal thoughts are rare now. I no longer flush."

mia9_28 February 16, 2015

"I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush."

Still crazy, but under control! March 13, 2012

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great for depression and great for my hair."

Beepoo October 1, 2011

"I recently watched the movie Food Matters and learned that Niacin can be used to treat depression and alcoholism in addition to high cholesterol. I began taking last week, and have noticed a gradual improvement in my mood as I increase the dosage. Make sure you start low and increase gradually, though: the first time I took it I took 100mg with a light snack and ended up stripping down and standing in my kitchen panting, but there were no lasting negative effects."

Blushed November 9, 2009

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate