User Reviews for Niacin

Also known as: B-3-50, B3-500-Gr, HDL Benefit, Niacin SR, Niacor, Niacor B3, Niaspan, Nico-400, Nicobid Tempules, Nicolar, Nicotinex, Nicotinic Acid, Slo-Niacin

Learn more about Niacin.

Niacin Rating Summary

9.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Niacin to treat Depression

"I read all of these reviews with much interest after stumbling across a word called niacin while researching some info on depression as my partner was in a very bad place. He had always suffered depression but the last bout was particularly bad and ongoing and he was getting worse, not better. Very glad I found this, he has been taking it for about a month now, and the changes in him were almost immediate. He just takes enough to experience the slight flush which for him seems to be 300mg which he takes immediately after breakfast and another 300mg again after tea. Experiment is the key to finding the right dose for you as everyone is different. I can't speak highly enough of it. So so relieved!!! I was actually fearful for his life!"

happypartner June 6, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been a depressive type most of my life, and I've also had problems with alcohol. I recently was prescribed Lexapro but only took it for two days as it felt wrong. I've always had an icky feeling about SSRIs etc. I finally decided to give niacin a go, and within a few hours of the 1st dose I felt ten times better. I'm now on day 5 and slowly upping my dose. I feel better each day and don't feel the sadness that was so paralysing for so long. Only negative side effect is a headache from time to time but it'll pass soon I'm sure. I really enjoy the niacin flush feeling, but only at night. During the day I take the slow release kind but I'm planning to slowly switch to the flushing kind over time as it just feels more effective."

Bonescorp May 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"2 years ago my step daughter was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. She couldn't go to school, she was suicidal and completely dysfunctional. She has been on Zoloft since then. We decided with diet and exercise to spend 6 months weening her off the pills which was hard. I read about Niacin and we came off of Zoloft and immediately into this. 3 pills a day, which would make 1500MG. The flushing subsided very fast for her. On day 3 she went for a run, voluntarily. On day 4 she said she would join soccer. 3 weeks in she was better than ever before. I thought, its a fluke and when her pills ran out I accidentally bought flush free Niacin. It took one day to bring her down. Niacin works, she said it lifted the fog."

Banannine April 28, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Really happy it helped me a lot . Severe depression I took it then another dose 2 hours later . I sweated etc felt very chilled then a slight headache . Felt a little tired and sick fell asleep 2 hours. When I woke I felt different I started cleaning my kitchen and bedroom. I lost my daughter Autumn to suicide in Oct . So believe me my depression was severe . Cleaning was a task I could not perform . Thinking more clear with no negative thoughts coming intrusively in my head . I really could not believe it . Gonna try it again tomorrow"

Anonymous April 9, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi everyone I have to share my story with you all on how I cured my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was on lexapro 3 years ago then when I came off it I got mania and psychosis then I was on olanzapine for 2 years 10mg I cut down to 1.25 mg and the went off completely this was over a couple of months. When I went off it I had terrible withdrawals, panic attacks, and severe depression I couldn't handle it so I went on cymbalta 60 mg that helped a little and 4 months down I was still feeling the side effects from olanzapine withdrawal. That is until 2 weeks ago I came across a video on YouTube about niacin (flush) and how it cured depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I read lots of online reviews and decided to give it a go! 4 days after taking niacin 500mg. ( it has to be the flushing kind) all my withdrawals were completely gone! I couldn't believe it!! My depression and anxiety and panic attacks gone!!! I'm feeling 100% myself! I am now off the cymbalta too! I had to share my story as I want as many people to know and try it! The best thing about it is that you can try it while your on your Meds as it's just a vitamin! I hope my story will help others!"

Lisamurry24 January 18, 2017

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm diagnosed with multiple sclerosis Before the diagnosis I had a sudden change in my mood form a very happy person to a very depressed person After the diagnosis and failure of 3 kind of treatment for My MS because it escalated my depression I stopped everything And started the following 1. Dr. TerryWahls protocol 2. Vitam B3 3000mg/day It's been 2 years and i haven't got a single relapse And the Vitamin b3 helps with the depression."

Noudii78 October 25, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking nicotinic acid/flushing niacin on and off for about two years. First time i took it, i took 50mg. I Then experienced, to quote My diary " presence, calmness, harmony". I believe 50mg daily is enough for me. If i dont take it, in about three days i become "mentally tortured"; i can not relax, negative thoughts, feel really bad. Maybe some mechanism is wrong somewhere along The line in My serotonin system. If i combine niacin with some tryptophan source (like whey protein) The effects are even better. I would honestly say that niacin has Been a life changer for me, no doubt about that. Have had no side effects that i can think of, maybe decreased appetite in high doses. Also Google niacin and pois if needed. Best Wishes"

Akt1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i have been on and off antidepressants for 18 years. Only after finding out about niacin 3 years ago has there been any significant improvements in my mental health. I am also a alcoholic, witch makes me super hard to treat. " when I take niacin at a high dose, for me is 3.5 4.5g per day it takes only 3-5 days to forget I was ever depressed to start with, and the want for alchohol subsidies "for me anyway" I have discussed this with my doctor he said it could help with my cholesterol. And advised me to take less, when I do in a matter of days I crash :( For me it is a must In my daily routine. I wish more was shared by GP's On this wonderful thing. Rather than pushing pills. I purchase 2.5kg at a time now"

Steve'O August 11, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Helped anxiety sleep 500Mcg 2x day"

durkinjt8 June 25, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began taking niacin 2 years ago for high cholesterol and after 3 months of taking the vitamin at 500mg/day my cholesterol levels dropped from 260 to 210 with improved ldl and hdl also. I upped the dose to 1000mg a day and have taken for 2 years with current chol level of 189. I not only noticed a reduction in cholesterol but began to feel better and happier. I stopped taking niacin last month and after 1 week started to experience previous anxiety and depression problems that I had been plagued by prior to niacin. I had no idea niacin was so effective in helping with depression until I stopped taking it. I'm back on it and have no worries. "

Cholesterol and depression cur (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2016

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on every ssri and different anti-dep the last 15 years. I started Niacin 8 weeks ago. I am now on 1,5 g. Going up to 3 g. Niacin is wonderful. Has helped me so much. Quite amazing. :) Seriously recommend this. Really strange that this is not more known. Use Niacin only after food. I take the 1.5g after work. 3x500mg. Going to start 1.5g Niacinamide during morning/day-time because it doesnt make you flush. Niacinaminde also work for depression, but not the cholesterol. Probably going over to only Niacinaminde after the Niacin is empty. I live in the winter-darkness of Norway, so I also take vitamin-d."

Benbenben December 4, 2015

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered from severe major depression for over a decade with little to no relief from countless medications at a variety of doses. I've been using niacin for two months now and I feel fantastic, it has been a trial and error kind of deal but so worth the effort in finding the balance. I recommend this to everyone suffering it does take research and some effort to find what dose will work no two of us are alike so I don't see how what works for someone will work the same for another but it is in my option a cure for depression. I believe our creator created our earth with all the ingredients we'd need to take care of ourselves and niacin is just more proof of that for me!"

Loving niacin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2015

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered with moderate to severe depression my entire life. Last August, after 9 years on Effexor, I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I tried using supplements as recommended by Julia Ross in her book The Mood Cure, but they were not effective for me. My depression became so severe last Oct. that I had to go back on to an anti-depressant (Bupropion) but this medication made my depression much worse. I was then put onto Trintellix in April. The Trintellix was helpful, but side effects soon began to appear. I happened upon an article about a psychiatrist who had used niacin for treating depression. When I googled niacin and depression, I came upon many other blogs and comments from other people who also found niacin to be effective against their struggles with depression. I was desperate to find an alternative to taking anti-depressants, so 4 weeks ago, I began supplementing with niacin plus vitamin C. (I had already been taking a vitamin B multi, magnesium, fish oil and Vit. D). I started with 100mcg niacin and have been gradually increasing the dose by 25mcg increments each day. I use only the regular niacin, not the timed release nor the non-flushing type. Since I started taking the additional niacin & vitamin C, I find that my depression is/has diminished significantly. I am no longer suffering from that bottomless well of depressive feelings that had been with me since last fall. I stopped taking the Trintellix 3 weeks ago and my depression has continued to lift."

jemmunro (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2015

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Niacin has greatly improved my life. My depressive thoughts disappeared right from the start (500mg a day now for 2 weeks. Now going up to 1000mg a day). My girlfriend has also been taking it and we've both been in a greater mood (she's also depressive). Suicidal thoughts are rare now. I no longer flush."

mia9_28 February 16, 2015

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression since 2002 when I had cancer and did chemo. The chemotherapy I did saved my life but it messed up my hormones so much that I went into premenopause at the age of 17. I have been on various doses of Effexor XR for the last 8 years ranging from 75-300mg a day. I needed medication to live a normal life. In the last year or two, I had been progressively getting worse until I felt like I was spiraling out of control. I had been working with my doctor to find a solution but nothing was working. Extra meds were not helping. Desperate, I tried niacin. 500mg a day. Flushing is worth it. I am now off Effexor, and on niacin instead and it works better with less side effects, only the flush."

Still crazy, but under control! March 13, 2012

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great for depression and great for my hair."

Beepoo October 1, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I recently watched the movie Food Matters and learned that Niacin can be used to treat depression and alcoholism in addition to high cholesterol. I began taking last week, and have noticed a gradual improvement in my mood as I increase the dosage. Make sure you start low and increase gradually, though: the first time I took it I took 100mg with a light snack and ended up stripping down and standing in my kitchen panting, but there were no lasting negative effects."

Blushed November 9, 2009