Generic Name: Colestipol Granules (koe LES ti pol)
Brand Name: Colestid
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 3, 2020.
Uses of Colestipol Granules:
- It is used to lower cholesterol.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Colestipol Granules?
- If you have an allergy to colestipol or any other part of this medicine (colestipol granules).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (colestipol granules); any part of this medicine (colestipol granules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (colestipol granules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Colestipol Granules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (colestipol granules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Take other drugs at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take this medicine (colestipol granules).
- Low vitamin K levels have happened in people taking this medicine (colestipol granules) for a long time. This may raise the chance of bleeding. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- If you have hemorrhoids, talk with your doctor. Hemorrhoids may get worse with this medicine (colestipol granules).
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (colestipol granules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Colestipol Granules) best taken?
Use this medicine (colestipol granules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take dry powder.
- Mix with at least 3 ounces (90 mL) of water or other liquid and drink. After drinking, rinse the glass with more liquid and drink.
- You may also mix this medicine (colestipol granules) with cereals, soups, and fruits like applesauce or crushed pineapple. Follow how to mix as you have been told.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very bad constipation.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Colestipol Granules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or heartburn.
- Stomach cramps.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Constipation. Drinking more liquids, working out, or adding fiber to the diet may help. Talk with the doctor about a stool softener or laxative.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Colestipol Granules?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (colestipol granules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about colestipol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: bile acid sequestrants