User Reviews for Pravastatin

Also known as: Pravachol

Pravastatin has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings on Drugs.com. 22% of those users who reviewed Pravastatin reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

High Cholesterol
Hyperlipoproteinemia Type III, Elevated beta-VLDL IDL
Summary of Pravastatin reviews 4.3 59 reviews

Reviews for Pravastatin

Jeshurun · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “Do not, do not, do not take this or any statins. You will not have a life After 2 weeks got off I felt like a junkie. Forgetfulness, brain numb pain all over body, dizzines. If your dr refuses to take you off get another Doctor. You can even see an endocrinologist. There are powder oral drinks u can take instead -pravalite or wellcore. There are others. Suggest them to your dr they are for people who cannot tolerate statins.”

Candy · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I love pravastatin I take the 10 mg. I have no side effects. My cholesterol drop 100 points in 1 month I did diet too. It is the only statin I can take that does no give me any side effects. It also comes in a white pill, I am allergic to dye so it is perfect. l thankful for pravastatin. And this company for making it in a white pill.”

Melody March 12, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “Started Prevastatin 20mg gosh around 2-3 year's ago due to high cholesterol. It brought my cholesterol right down to brilliant, however around 2 year's ago around abouts, I developed severe breast pain which is mainly on my left side, but does affect both breasts. Bloods are always fine, CT scan fine, menopause test and I'm not menopausal, and mammogram also fine. My gp was at a loss of what it is! (useless) they asked another gp one who's never even seen me, it was passed back to my gp to tell me it's Mastalgia!! To take evening primrose and vitamin B complex/compound all of which I have to buy at £6.50 ago with no luck. Yesterday I purchased vitamin e as that's supposed to help as no pain reliever touches it. Today I thought hmm I'll look up about statins, and we'll it appears statins can cause muscle pain and, muscle damage,I've thought the pain is not my actual breasts it could be the chest wall!! I've stopped taking and I'll inform my gp”

Anonymous November 29, 2011

For High Cholesterol: “I took this medicine for about 3 years. About 6 months ago, my dosage was increased from 20 mg to 40 mg. At first there were no problems. After a couple of months, I started having shortness of breath, chest pain, tremors, fatigue and vomiting. I went to the ER with chest pains and shortness of breath. They could find nothing wrong with my heart. I was sent to a cardiologist to have Holter monitoring, echocardiagram and stress test. Nothing. Had a pulmonary function test. Nothing. The pravastatin brought my cholesterol down to 177, so my doctor took me off of it to see if it made any difference with all my health problems. It did. Within 3 days I was starting to feel better. Within a week I was back to my old self again.”

Anonymous July 10, 2011

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Within 2 weeks of being on 40mg of Pravachol, I began noticing muscle weakness in my shoulders, wrist and knees. I later discovered that these are possible side effects of this medication. I noticed remarkable improvements after stopping the medication.”

Di · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I was prescribed 10mg Pravastatin after getting muscle pain on atorvastatin. Took Prevastatin for 6 weeks & started noticing breakthrough reflux while on PPI (proton pump inhibitor for reflux) which I have been for 5 years with no problems. Within 8 weeks I had severe reflux while on PPI, H2 inhibitors and antacid along with severe upper digestive pain, nausea and cramping. I couldn’t eat anything or even drink water without belching constantly. I had to sleep sitting up. I stopped the pravastatin and the digestive symptoms went away so I started the Pravastatin again. 4 days later... digestive issues again but worse. Stopped again & feeling much better after 1week. I’m done with statins. I lowered my cholesterol by 53 points by eliminating red meat except once a week and eating oatmeal 5 times a week.”

Anonymous November 8, 2011

For High Cholesterol: “I immediately experienced muscle pain and chest tightness (the heart is a muscle). I also ended up in the ER after feeling faint with left foot numbness. The medication did, however, significantly lower my cholesterol. I have since discontinued the medicine on my own.”

Babeforever · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Pravastatin has caused me to get severe cramping in my legs. It has caused some memory loss. I have been getting the most severe pain in my big toe at night when I sleep. I wasn't sure it was from the med but it seems to have gone away since I stopped it. Also I have developed a horrible rash under my breasts which I never had before. Now that I stopped the pravastatin it seems to be going away. I don't know what to do because I think that I need a statin because of clogged arteries and high cholesterol but the side effects were too much to handle. I am considering going on a vegan diet which is not the kind of food I usually eat. But I have to do something. My doctor yells at me when I go in for a checkup. If anyone has any suggestions please write. I am a 70 yo woman. Thank you for reading this.”

My Dad August 15, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “My dad was on this drug for over a decade and his cholesterol only slightly elevated. He was not overweight, fit, a non-smoker and a social drinker. He had symptoms of muscle weakness in the legs and seemed foggy. He was found on the floor one morning in what looked like a seizure. He came to by the time the paramedics arrived. They could not find anything wrong and told him it was food poisoning at the ER, but they never gave him a brain scan. Side note, you lose control with strokes. We know now it really was a small hemorrhagic stroke. 6 years later it happened again but more severe. He was left paralyzed, unable to swallow or speak. After surgery and 4 weeks in recovery, we had to make the excruciating decision to put him in hospice, where he died at the age of 74. All of his relatives have lived well into their nineties. Avoid taking this or other statins unless you have had a heart attack or your cholesterol is extreme.”

Mar · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “With any statin, you must take Q10. Q10 is an enzyme in your body that becomes depleted after long term use of any statin. Lack of this enzyme causes joint pain. Talk to your doctor about how much Q10 to take with your statin. Also, having worked for the company that makes Pravachol, it is one of the mildest statins with very few few if any side effects. It works well too.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Was prescribed Pravastatin 80mg for genetically high cholesterol and had to cut it back myself to 40 mg after 4.25 months because getting side effects of non-diabetic neuropathy, odd cramps in hands and legs, overall weakness, could not think straight, could not put simple words together, could not remember complete sentences, hair falling out, muscle pain especially in r-bicep, shakiness especially in arms and hands and more. Finally, since my doctor would not allow me a visit (COVID), I quit Pravastatin altogether on 8/18/20. It is now 9/12/20 and I still feel horrible, but my memory is coming back. How can it be legal to sell this “medicine”? How cruel to do this to people! How many, I wonder, get misdiagnosed with dementia, when really it is the statins. I am crying right now for others on this drug. Also Pravastatin depleted and somehow continues to deplete my potassium, even after I quit taking Pravastatin. That is possibly why I continue to feel very weak?Shame on all involved!”

bluejay May 31, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I have tried 3 types of statins had major side effects that put me un the hospital unable to drive due to dizziness and foggy mind major muscle pain in lower back and legs. I wish someone had told me don't take these drugs ever. They should be banned until they develop a way to stop the extreme side effects and stop crossing into the brain”

Eddie · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I started Pravastatin over five years ago and it did lower my bad cholesterol. However, my legs began aching badly after a few years. I attributed it to my lower back pain until I had a procedure for my back that burned the nerves. This helped my back but didn't help my never ending leg pain. My upper and lower leg muscles burned and ached, the back of my knees and ankles hurt to the point that it was hard to walk, and my urine turned brown. My doctor stopped the Pravastatin and the pain gradually lightened, giving me hope that it will eventually stop. It has been three weeks and I hope to be off pain pills eventually. Never again will I take a statin. It did its best to debilitate me completely but it did lower my cholesterol. The price of pain was too high.”

Skyler · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I eat healthy, exercise 5 days a week and my total cholesterol was 250. The NP put me on this, I took it a week and flushed it. Suffered severe stomach and abdomen pain. Yeah it lowers your cholesterol because your too afraid to eat anything. Would rather take my chances with the cholesterol than take this any day of the week. Anyone remember when Lipitor came out on the market and all of a sudden the levels of what was considered "high" cholesterol went down to increase sales?”

bdriver January 3, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “Thought all my issues were from babysitting 3 kids under 5 for 5 years. Brain fog, blurry vision, severe muscle and joint pain in mid and lower back,anxious, awful Charlie horses in foot,leg pain, feeling like I aged 10 years. Been to 2 spine docs, chiro for 6 months, physical therapy, unlimited trips to my GP. (yes you have stress) no kidding I am in pain. Not one Doc said it was my meds. Finally going to a pain management doc for my back. My elbows started to hurt over summer and when I mentioned it to him he I said could it be pravistatin he said he has seen it before. Stopped pravistatin 2 months ago, fog is gone, no charlie horses, anxious well down, back is FINALLY starting to feel better. I am so mad no Dr ever mentioned it!”

Graham1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 25, 2013

For High Cholesterol: “I am experiencing severe gas and loose bowels. Everytime I eat something it seems to run right through me. Also increased urination. Stomach cramps so this is a battle lower my cholesterol or be on the toilet everytime I eat!”

Pookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “I am only taking 5 mg 2 times a week and I am still so sick, tired, dizzy, reflux, stomach hurts, joints hurt, tips of fingers pain. Itching rash on neck, anxiety worse, hard to breath at times, heart palpitations, nausea. Just can't live like this can't leave my home cause I am so sick from this stuff. Been on this for 2 months now. I have to stop it. Statins are really hard for some people. My husband takes pravastatin 40 mg and has no problem. Lucky him. I can't handle it. Done with it.”

Haggy · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “Been on statins off and on. In the beginning they blew me up on them. HIGH DOSES... Now even 10mg and the back of my legs burn. Doctor wanted me to do 20mg even tho I told him I would hurt. So.. I took 10mg yesterday and bam.... legs burning today. We will see how long I can go this time before I say I'm done. My problem is heredity. I eat great..”

BigMck · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2016

For High Cholesterol: “This caused severe dizzyness, memory problems, erection problems. Be sure and read the side effects before taking. Chances are you will have most of them. After I stopped taking it took about a week before I noticed the dizzyness going away. After three weeks, things were back to normal. Just be very aware of this drug. It was bad news for me. The only way that I realized it was this drug that was causing my problems were the reviews by other people taking this. Read the reviews and believe what you read. They are true.”

h2osunsand June 2, 2015

For High Cholesterol: “After four weeks, taking the Pravastatin as prescribed by the Doctor, I was unable to move. My wrist was too sore to move, my right shoulder was too sore to use and I could not put any weight on my knees. Five months after discontinuance of the Pravastatin, pain in those four areas has diminished to the point that am nearly 85% functional. Had I known about the side affects of Pravastatin, I would have never taken them!”

Anonymous May 10, 2017

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Lowered my bad LDL from 180 to 95 in 6 months, on only 20 mg daily. Only side effect is my legs get sore when I walk distances that never bothered me before. However, with a little rest, I'm ok. Pravachol is MUCH better than Lipitor, which I threw away after a week due to leg and joint pain.”

Leelee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: “Where to start!!! My whole body hurt. I'm 37 years old feeling like I was trapped in a 90 year old body. Bad Headaches, lack of sleep, stinky urine, weight gain, fatigue, memory loss, crazy thoughts tired every 30 minutes, breast were very sore and irritable to everything and everyone but my loved ones forgave me once I stopped taking the medicine lol On the 4th day of not taking it I broke out in a very bad sweat and then I felt wonderful!!! Never again!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2015

For High Cholesterol: “After taking 20 mg of pravastatin for about 3 weeks, 1x day, my blood pressure started to go extremely high, in the range of 175/97. It remained about at this level for about 4 days until my doctor said to stop taking it. In about 3 days my pressure dropped back to normal which for me, is about 135/82. I am a 71 yr. female in otherwise good health. Quite a shocking experience. This is a new side effect for this drug.”

roseannroseann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “I've taken 3 types of cholesterol med now on or was ( took my self off today) Pravastatin 20 mg. This stuff feels like it is killing me . My eye surgeon said they tried to put his wife on this stuff 'STATINS' He said over his dead body. I sure wish I had told them that to as I am so disabled now ! Can hardly walk, move, stand, shoulders ache, foggy , dizzy, blurred vision, insomnia, heart palpitations ( heart checks out good), pain in upper chest, weight gain, feet painfully burning and Gout. Dr also diagnosed me with polymyalgia rheumatica and carotenoid dermatitis since on this poison, No never again. I don't want to feel like I am 90 I am only 65. Folks I need a wheelchair!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2017

For High Cholesterol: “This is the 4th statin I've tried. After 3 weeks of Pravastatin 10mg, I am sore, stiff, and ache in shoulder, neck, legs and feet. Also feeling like I am not thinking straight, like I am super stupid. I am frustrated because I want to get cholesterol under control but I refuse to try any more statins.”

Stephen II October 5, 2016

For High Cholesterol: “I have been on pravastatin for nearly five months. Two months ago I felt soreness in my wrists. One month ago soreness and weakness in both knees. I will call my treating physician tomorrow. I can hardly get up from a sitting position.”

susan trumble · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2015

For High Cholesterol: “The good thing is my cholesterol is under control after three months. The bad thing is my right fore arm hurts when I pick up anything. I also have a rash on my upper lip but not sure it has anything to do with the pravastatin. I am taking one thing away at a time to figure it out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2021

For High Cholesterol: “On 10 mg pravastatin at night, it gave me lots of pain all over especially right side of back. Also fatigue with no energy at all also spaced out feeling with low sex drive. Also not well feeling since on this medication. Insomnia too. Stopped it 5 days ago and beginning to feel better. Not sure if its bought cholesterol down or not because not had any blood tests done since being on this stuff over a year ago. Cholesterol only 4.2 anyway before medication.”