User Reviews for Pravastatin

Also known as: Pravachol

Learn more about Pravastatin.

High Cholesterol 24 reviews 48 medications

5.5
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Pravastatin reviews 25 reviews 3.7

Reviews for Pravastatin

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Does the job. Lowered my cholesterol to normal levels."

dogfoodsalad (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Been scripted for various statins over the years, having to change from one to another due to side effects; muscle pain, increased glucose, blurred vision with aching eyes, fatigue, cognitive impairment, headaches, etc. . Not sure of the time of onset of of each symptom. Am being treated for seasonal affect disorder but am now thinking this is due to statins. Am now off statins and other than mild blurred vision all symptoms have stopped"

Why suffer January 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Thought all my issues were from babysitting 3 kids under 5 for 5 years. Brain fog, blurry vision, severe muscle and joint pain in mid and lower back,anxious, awful Charlie horses in foot,leg pain, feeling like I aged 10 years. Been to 2 spine docs, chiro for 6 months, physical therapy, unlimited trips to my GP. (yes you have stress) no kidding I am in pain. Not one Doc said it was my meds. Finally going to a pain management doc for my back. My elbows started to hurt over summer and when I mentioned it to him he I said could it be pravistatin he said he has seen it before. Stopped pravistatin 2 months ago, fog is gone, no charlie horses, anxious well down, back is FINALLY starting to feel better. I am so mad no Dr ever mentioned it!"

bdriver January 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "I was on pravastatin 40 mg 2 years ago (40 mg). I experienced extreme pain on the inward side of my right knee that kept getting worse. Within a month or two, my left knee began hurting in the same spot. Then I had similar severe pain in my left ankle. My right knee was so bad I could not walk on it. Doctor took x-rays. Diagnosis was tendinitis. By the end of summer I was a basket case and no amount of advil gave me any relief. It hurt so bad that when I moved my knees when I was sleeping it would wake me up. I got checking all my heart medications and suspected the pravastatin. I cut it out completely for 1 week. I have cut my dose now to 20 mg and still have occasional bouts of tendinitis."

thon December 12, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "This is the second statin I've taken and it too produces a lot of lower back pain, which I've had to endure. Exercise and stretching helps, but it's still there."

gwwinzenburger (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on pravastatin for nearly five months. Two months ago I felt soreness in my wrists. One month ago soreness and weakness in both knees. I will call my treating physician tomorrow. I can hardly get up from a sitting position."

Stephen II October 5, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Ok so I am 80 mg a day and I feel sick at my stomach and can not eat very much ( but I had the same feeling after gallbladder was removed the nausea feeling) . I am somewhat scared because my doctor said this medications had less side effects. But I wake up feeling sick to my stomach and its not a good feeling at all. My cholesterol is very high and I am scared and I have high blood pressure so I am trying to do what my doctor say do. I feel like I am about to just eat oatmeal and that cereal that lowers cholesterol. Only been on it a week."

Not Good AT ALL July 22, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I'm a T1 diabetic. My doctor had me on 20 mg to keep my cholesterol under 100. No side effects. 2 years later she bumped up my dosage to 40 mg when my cholesterol went to 105. Within 3 days, the joints in my hands and muscles in my lower arms became extremely painful. I'm also very tired. Called my doctor and waiting for a return call. I am not taking this dose again!"

LME63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "This caused severe dizzyness, memory problems, erection problems. Be sure and read the side effects before taking. Chances are you will have most of them. After I stopped taking it took about a week before I noticed the dizzyness going away. After three weeks, things were back to normal. Just be very aware of this drug. It was bad news for me. The only way that I realized it was this drug that was causing my problems were the reviews by other people taking this. Read the reviews and believe what you read. They are true."

BigMck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "joint stiffness, muscle weakness"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "After taking 20 mg of pravastatin for about 3 weeks, 1x day, my blood pressure started to go extremely high, in the range of 175/97. It remained about at this level for about 4 days until my doctor said to stop taking it. In about 3 days my pressure dropped back to normal which for me, is about 135/82. I am a 71 yr. female in otherwise good health. Quite a shocking experience. This is a new side effect for this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "After four weeks, taking the Pravastatin as prescribed by the Doctor, I was unable to move. My wrist was too sore to move, my right shoulder was too sore to use and I could not put any weight on my knees. Five months after discontinuance of the Pravastatin, pain in those four areas has diminished to the point that am nearly 85% functional. Had I known about the side affects of Pravastatin, I would have never taken them!"

h2osunsand June 2, 2015

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "The good thing is my cholesterol is under control after three months. The bad thing is my right fore arm hurts when I pick up anything. I also have a rash on my upper lip but not sure it has anything to do with the pravastatin. I am taking one thing away at a time to figure it out."

susan trumble (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I was on simvistatin and got leg pain. I got switched to pravistatin and am now experiencing shoulder pain and weakness. I plan to see what else I can take."

gubby donna June 25, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I am experiencing severe gas and loose bowels. Everytime I eat something it seems to run right through me. Also increased urination. Stomach cramps so this is a battle lower my cholesterol or be on the toilet everytime I eat!"

Graham1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Was on pravastatin for two weeks woke up with swelling in the face. Doctor said it was a side affect to stop taking."

Lucy 01 October 27, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Elevated my blood sugar level."

helsy August 5, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "It works just fine with no side effects."

bogyone January 15, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I took this medicine for about 3 years. About 6 months ago, my dosage was increased from 20 mg to 40 mg. At first there were no problems. After a couple of months, I started having shortness of breath, chest pain, tremors, fatigue and vomiting. I went to the ER with chest pains and shortness of breath. They could find nothing wrong with my heart. I was sent to a cardiologist to have Holter monitoring, echocardiagram and stress test. Nothing. Had a pulmonary function test. Nothing. The pravastatin brought my cholesterol down to 177, so my doctor took me off of it to see if it made any difference with all my health problems. It did. Within 3 days I was starting to feel better. Within a week I was back to my old self again."

Anonymous November 29, 2011

270 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "I immediately experienced muscle pain and chest tightness (the heart is a muscle). I also ended up in the ER after feeling faint with left foot numbness. The medication did, however, significantly lower my cholesterol. I have since discontinued the medicine on my own."

Anonymous November 8, 2011

219 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Cholesterol: "Was unable to take Lipitor because of aches and pains it produced but I can take pravastatin okay."

Anonymous September 23, 2011

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Within 2 weeks of being on 40mg of Pravachol, I began noticing muscle weakness in my shoulders, wrist and knees. I later discovered that these are possible side effects of this medication. I noticed remarkable improvements after stopping the medication."

Anonymous July 10, 2011

264 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Medicine was fine at 20mg dose. When my Doctor increased dose to 40mg, I started having increased muscle stiffness, especially in the morning."

Anonymous December 1, 2010

227 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "It has done the job in lowering my cholesterol within 3 months."

Anonymous October 13, 2010

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "It lowered my cholesterol without any side effects."

Anonymous June 7, 2010