User Reviews for Pravastatin

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL

1 review 30 medications
Summary of Pravastatin reviews 5.1 39 reviews

Reviews for Pravastatin

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "I've taken atorvastatin, Crestor, Zetia, then pravachol for nearly five years after quadruple bypass surgery (no previous symptoms, discovered need on X-ray for pneumonia!). Except for Zetia, which is not a statin and did NOTHING for my cholesterol which was not excessively high anyway, ALL three others have given me SEVERE muscle pain, mostly calves and biceps, making me move as if I were quite elderly and collapsing under me without notice. The pain is unrelenting, even in bed at night. 20% supposedly have this reaction, and most stop taking the statin--cardiologist threatens me, says I can't, so I've given myself my second shot of Repatha (not a statin) in the belly (cost/once a month/$1000 without insurance, $355 with mine). Lousy price to pay (not a play on words) for lowering cholesterol--excruciating pain or lotsa dollars...IF the shot works!"

jstacy55 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "My cardiologist changed me from Simvastatin to this medicine In October 2016. In 2 weeks I was hospitalized with 90 % loss of legs. Once taken off this medicine I left hospital 3 days later with legs at 75 % and improving. I have since gone back on Simvastatin and I have had full recovery that has last for the last 18 months"

mrs.majocredit (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2018

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "It appears to work for my situation."

Bobooo April 15, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Where to start!!! My whole body hurt. I'm 37 years old feeling like I was trapped in a 90 year old body. Bad Headaches, lack of sleep, stinky urine, weight gain, fatigue, memory loss, crazy thoughts tired every 30 minutes, breast were very sore and irritable to everything and everyone but my loved ones forgave me once I stopped taking the medicine lol On the 4th day of not taking it I broke out in a very bad sweat and then I felt wonderful!!! Never again!!!"

Leelee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "At 20 mg no issues, when dose went up to 40mg, bad headaches, severe leg pain, upper thighs,"

Lisa (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2018

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Extreme pain and inflammation in calves and knees and feet. Weakness upon walking. Intermittent vomiting and nausea. I am now taking vitamin and mineral supplements to try and heal my lower body aches and pains."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 10, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been in the ER twice. I've racked up quite a large bill with the hospital. I've been exposed to needless radiation due to this medicine. I've had SEVERE abdominal cramping, diarrhea, anxiety, confusion, nausea and insomnia. Never ever again. I thought I was losing my mind. The ER doc was trying so hard to help me, and it was this stupid yellow pill. Never ever ever again."

HCOG2003 December 8, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I've taken 3 types of cholesterol med now on or was ( took my self off today) Pravastatin 20 mg. This stuff feels like it is killing me . My eye surgeon said they tried to put his wife on this stuff 'STATINS' He said over his dead body. I sure wish I had told them that to as I am so disabled now ! Can hardly walk, move, stand, shoulders ache, foggy , dizzy, blurred vision, insomnia, heart palpitations ( heart checks out good), pain in upper chest, weight gain, feet painfully burning and Gout. Dr also diagnosed me with polymyalgia rheumatica and carotenoid dermatitis since on this poison, No never again. I don't want to feel like I am 90 I am only 65. Folks I need a wheelchair!!"

roseannroseann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2017

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type III, Elevated beta-VLDL IDL: "Just finding out that this medication may be a factor in causing insomnia. This is something I am fighting tooth and nail."

msskye (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I ache bad from this medicine. Like a giant tooth ache. I can barely sleep at night since I started taking it."

sstraykat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "This is the 4th statin I've tried. After 3 weeks of Pravastatin 10mg, I am sore, stiff, and ache in shoulder, neck, legs and feet. Also feeling like I am not thinking straight, like I am super stupid. I am frustrated because I want to get cholesterol under control but I refuse to try any more statins."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2017

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Lowered my bad LDL from 180 to 95 in 6 months, on only 20 mg daily. Only side effect is my legs get sore when I walk distances that never bothered me before. However, with a little rest, I'm ok. Pravachol is MUCH better than Lipitor, which I threw away after a week due to leg and joint pain."

Anonymous May 10, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "After taking one pill in the evening, the next morning I woke up feeling dizzy, anxious feeling, nervous, and just tired. The feelings have not dissipated through the day. This is the second type of statin drug my doctor has prescribed for me. The first one (a generic for lipitor) made me feel the same way. I cannot function with this drug. Will not be taking it again. Wasted $10.00. I hate that."

sbecertified (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Hi All, After genuinely wanting to lower my Cholesterol from 8, I tried yet again a Statin for the fourth time. I halved this medication down to 10 mg per day. My GP wanted to increase but knowing ALL statins give me muscle pain, I decided to keep the medication low. I noticed a lot of weight gain, increasing blood pressure and sense of lack energy. I radically altered my diet. Everything including cooking oil, all low fat dairy and extreme LEAN meats. Increased veges and fruit My BP went from 135/95 to 117/79 within 3 months. My Cholesterol dropped to 6.5. Was it the Pravastatin?. Maybe, VERY LOW dose however. Discontinued USE DUE to onset of worsening shoulder pain, left rib cage floating pain and left neck. Pain was becoming chronic."

Ross Dieting Low Fat (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "Does the job. Lowered my cholesterol to normal levels."

dogfoodsalad (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Been scripted for various statins over the years, having to change from one to another due to side effects; muscle pain, increased glucose, blurred vision with aching eyes, fatigue, cognitive impairment, headaches, etc. . Not sure of the time of onset of of each symptom. Am being treated for seasonal affect disorder but am now thinking this is due to statins. Am now off statins and other than mild blurred vision all symptoms have stopped"

Why suffer January 8, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Thought all my issues were from babysitting 3 kids under 5 for 5 years. Brain fog, blurry vision, severe muscle and joint pain in mid and lower back,anxious, awful Charlie horses in foot,leg pain, feeling like I aged 10 years. Been to 2 spine docs, chiro for 6 months, physical therapy, unlimited trips to my GP. (yes you have stress) no kidding I am in pain. Not one Doc said it was my meds. Finally going to a pain management doc for my back. My elbows started to hurt over summer and when I mentioned it to him he I said could it be pravistatin he said he has seen it before. Stopped pravistatin 2 months ago, fog is gone, no charlie horses, anxious well down, back is FINALLY starting to feel better. I am so mad no Dr ever mentioned it!"

bdriver January 3, 2017

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "I was on pravastatin 40 mg 2 years ago (40 mg). I experienced extreme pain on the inward side of my right knee that kept getting worse. Within a month or two, my left knee began hurting in the same spot. Then I had similar severe pain in my left ankle. My right knee was so bad I could not walk on it. Doctor took x-rays. Diagnosis was tendinitis. By the end of summer I was a basket case and no amount of advil gave me any relief. It hurt so bad that when I moved my knees when I was sleeping it would wake me up. I got checking all my heart medications and suspected the pravastatin. I cut it out completely for 1 week. I have cut my dose now to 20 mg and still have occasional bouts of tendinitis."

thon December 12, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "This is the second statin I've taken and it too produces a lot of lower back pain, which I've had to endure. Exercise and stretching helps, but it's still there."

gwwinzenburger (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I have been on pravastatin for nearly five months. Two months ago I felt soreness in my wrists. One month ago soreness and weakness in both knees. I will call my treating physician tomorrow. I can hardly get up from a sitting position."

Stephen II October 5, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "Ok so I am 80 mg a day and I feel sick at my stomach and can not eat very much ( but I had the same feeling after gallbladder was removed the nausea feeling) . I am somewhat scared because my doctor said this medications had less side effects. But I wake up feeling sick to my stomach and its not a good feeling at all. My cholesterol is very high and I am scared and I have high blood pressure so I am trying to do what my doctor say do. I feel like I am about to just eat oatmeal and that cereal that lowers cholesterol. Only been on it a week."

Not Good AT ALL July 22, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I'm a T1 diabetic. My doctor had me on 20 mg to keep my cholesterol under 100. No side effects. 2 years later she bumped up my dosage to 40 mg when my cholesterol went to 105. Within 3 days, the joints in my hands and muscles in my lower arms became extremely painful. I'm also very tired. Called my doctor and waiting for a return call. I am not taking this dose again!"

LME63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "This caused severe dizzyness, memory problems, erection problems. Be sure and read the side effects before taking. Chances are you will have most of them. After I stopped taking it took about a week before I noticed the dizzyness going away. After three weeks, things were back to normal. Just be very aware of this drug. It was bad news for me. The only way that I realized it was this drug that was causing my problems were the reviews by other people taking this. Read the reviews and believe what you read. They are true."

BigMck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

Pravachol (pravastatin) for High Cholesterol: "joint stiffness, muscle weakness"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "After taking 20 mg of pravastatin for about 3 weeks, 1x day, my blood pressure started to go extremely high, in the range of 175/97. It remained about at this level for about 4 days until my doctor said to stop taking it. In about 3 days my pressure dropped back to normal which for me, is about 135/82. I am a 71 yr. female in otherwise good health. Quite a shocking experience. This is a new side effect for this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015