User Reviews for Pravastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Pravachol

Pravastatin Rating Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Pravastatin

Skyler · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

“I eat healthy, exercise 5 days a week and my total cholesterol was 250. The NP put me on this, I took it a week and flushed it. Suffered severe stomach and abdomen pain. Yeah it lowers your cholesterol because your too afraid to eat anything. Would rather take my chances with the cholesterol than take this any day of the week. Anyone remember when Lipitor came out on the market and all of a sudden the levels of what was considered "high" cholesterol went down to increase sales?”

Mar · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 20, 2019

“With any statin, you must take Q10. Q10 is an enzyme in your body that becomes depleted after long term use of any statin. Lack of this enzyme causes joint pain. Talk to your doctor about how much Q10 to take with your statin. Also, having worked for the company that makes Pravachol, it is one of the mildest statins with very few few if any side effects. It works well too.”

Doc · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2019

“Pravastatin put me in ER with horrible stomach pains twice. CVS swished manufacturer and did not tell me. The Accord brand of pravastatin tore up my stomach and intestines”

My Dad August 15, 2019

“My dad was on this drug for over a decade and his cholesterol only slightly elevated. He was not overweight, fit, a non-smoker and a social drinker. He had symptoms of muscle weakness in the legs and seemed foggy. He was found on the floor one morning in what looked like a seizure. He came to by the time the paramedics arrived. They could not find anything wrong and told him it was food poisoning at the ER, but they never gave him a brain scan. Side note, you lose control with strokes. We know now it really was a small hemorrhagic stroke. 6 years later it happened again but more severe. He was left paralyzed, unable to swallow or speak. After surgery and 4 weeks in recovery, we had to make the excruciating decision to put him in hospice, where he died at the age of 74. All of his relatives have lived well into their nineties. Avoid taking this or other statins unless you have had a heart attack or your cholesterol is extreme.”

bluejay May 31, 2019

“I have tried 3 types of statins had major side effects that put me un the hospital unable to drive due to dizziness and foggy mind major muscle pain in lower back and legs. I wish someone had told me don't take these drugs ever. They should be banned until they develop a way to stop the extreme side effects and stop crossing into the brain”

Di · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2019

“I was prescribed 10mg Pravastatin after getting muscle pain on atorvastatin. Took Prevastatin for 6 weeks & started noticing breakthrough reflux while on PPI (proton pump inhibitor for reflux) which I have been for 5 years with no problems. Within 8 weeks I had severe reflux while on PPI, H2 inhibitors and antacid along with severe upper digestive pain, nausea and cramping. I couldn’t eat anything or even drink water without belching constantly. I had to sleep sitting up. I stopped the pravastatin and the digestive symptoms went away so I started the Pravastatin again. 4 days later... digestive issues again but worse. Stopped again & feeling much better after 1week. I’m done with statins. I lowered my cholesterol by 53 points by eliminating red meat except once a week and eating oatmeal 5 times a week.”

Haggy · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

“Been on statins off and on. In the beginning they blew me up on them. HIGH DOSES... Now even 10mg and the back of my legs burn. Doctor wanted me to do 20mg even tho I told him I would hurt. So.. I took 10mg yesterday and bam.... legs burning today. We will see how long I can go this time before I say I'm done. My problem is heredity. I eat great..”

jstacy55 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2018

Pravachol (pravastatin): “I've taken atorvastatin, Crestor, Zetia, then pravachol for nearly five years after quadruple bypass surgery (no previous symptoms, discovered need on X-ray for pneumonia!). Except for Zetia, which is not a statin and did NOTHING for my cholesterol which was not excessively high anyway, ALL three others have given me SEVERE muscle pain, mostly calves and biceps, making me move as if I were quite elderly and collapsing under me without notice. The pain is unrelenting, even in bed at night. 20% supposedly have this reaction, and most stop taking the statin--cardiologist threatens me, says I can't, so I've given myself my second shot of Repatha (not a statin) in the belly (cost/once a month/$1000 without insurance, $355 with mine). Lousy price to pay (not a play on words) for lowering cholesterol--excruciating pain or lotsa dollars...IF the shot works!”

mrs.majocredit · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2018

“My cardiologist changed me from Simvastatin to this medicine In October 2016. In 2 weeks I was hospitalized with 90 % loss of legs. Once taken off this medicine I left hospital 3 days later with legs at 75 % and improving. I have since gone back on Simvastatin and I have had full recovery that has last for the last 18 months”

Bobooo April 15, 2018

Pravachol (pravastatin): “It appears to work for my situation.”

Leelee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2018

“Where to start!!! My whole body hurt. I'm 37 years old feeling like I was trapped in a 90 year old body. Bad Headaches, lack of sleep, stinky urine, weight gain, fatigue, memory loss, crazy thoughts tired every 30 minutes, breast were very sore and irritable to everything and everyone but my loved ones forgave me once I stopped taking the medicine lol On the 4th day of not taking it I broke out in a very bad sweat and then I felt wonderful!!! Never again!!!”

Lisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 27, 2018

“At 20 mg no issues, when dose went up to 40mg, bad headaches, severe leg pain, upper thighs,”

HCOG2003 December 8, 2017

“I have been in the ER twice. I've racked up quite a large bill with the hospital. I've been exposed to needless radiation due to this medicine. I've had SEVERE abdominal cramping, diarrhea, anxiety, confusion, nausea and insomnia. Never ever again. I thought I was losing my mind. The ER doc was trying so hard to help me, and it was this stupid yellow pill. Never ever ever again.”

roseannroseann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2017

“I've taken 3 types of cholesterol med now on or was ( took my self off today) Pravastatin 20 mg. This stuff feels like it is killing me . My eye surgeon said they tried to put his wife on this stuff 'STATINS' He said over his dead body. I sure wish I had told them that to as I am so disabled now ! Can hardly walk, move, stand, shoulders ache, foggy , dizzy, blurred vision, insomnia, heart palpitations ( heart checks out good), pain in upper chest, weight gain, feet painfully burning and Gout. Dr also diagnosed me with polymyalgia rheumatica and carotenoid dermatitis since on this poison, No never again. I don't want to feel like I am 90 I am only 65. Folks I need a wheelchair!!”

sstraykat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2017

“I ache bad from this medicine. Like a giant tooth ache. I can barely sleep at night since I started taking it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2017

“This is the 4th statin I've tried. After 3 weeks of Pravastatin 10mg, I am sore, stiff, and ache in shoulder, neck, legs and feet. Also feeling like I am not thinking straight, like I am super stupid. I am frustrated because I want to get cholesterol under control but I refuse to try any more statins.”

Anonymous May 10, 2017

Pravachol (pravastatin): “Lowered my bad LDL from 180 to 95 in 6 months, on only 20 mg daily. Only side effect is my legs get sore when I walk distances that never bothered me before. However, with a little rest, I'm ok. Pravachol is MUCH better than Lipitor, which I threw away after a week due to leg and joint pain.”

sbecertified · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2017

“After taking one pill in the evening, the next morning I woke up feeling dizzy, anxious feeling, nervous, and just tired. The feelings have not dissipated through the day. This is the second type of statin drug my doctor has prescribed for me. The first one (a generic for lipitor) made me feel the same way. I cannot function with this drug. Will not be taking it again. Wasted $10.00. I hate that.”

Ross Dieting Low Fat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2017

“Hi All, After genuinely wanting to lower my Cholesterol from 8, I tried yet again a Statin for the fourth time. I halved this medication down to 10 mg per day. My GP wanted to increase but knowing ALL statins give me muscle pain, I decided to keep the medication low. I noticed a lot of weight gain, increasing blood pressure and sense of lack energy. I radically altered my diet. Everything including cooking oil, all low fat dairy and extreme LEAN meats. Increased veges and fruit My BP went from 135/95 to 117/79 within 3 months. My Cholesterol dropped to 6.5. Was it the Pravastatin?. Maybe, VERY LOW dose however. Discontinued USE DUE to onset of worsening shoulder pain, left rib cage floating pain and left neck. Pain was becoming chronic.”

dogfoodsalad · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2017

Pravachol (pravastatin): “Does the job. Lowered my cholesterol to normal levels.”

Why suffer January 8, 2017

“Been scripted for various statins over the years, having to change from one to another due to side effects; muscle pain, increased glucose, blurred vision with aching eyes, fatigue, cognitive impairment, headaches, etc. . Not sure of the time of onset of of each symptom. Am being treated for seasonal affect disorder but am now thinking this is due to statins. Am now off statins and other than mild blurred vision all symptoms have stopped”

bdriver January 3, 2017

“Thought all my issues were from babysitting 3 kids under 5 for 5 years. Brain fog, blurry vision, severe muscle and joint pain in mid and lower back,anxious, awful Charlie horses in foot,leg pain, feeling like I aged 10 years. Been to 2 spine docs, chiro for 6 months, physical therapy, unlimited trips to my GP. (yes you have stress) no kidding I am in pain. Not one Doc said it was my meds. Finally going to a pain management doc for my back. My elbows started to hurt over summer and when I mentioned it to him he I said could it be pravistatin he said he has seen it before. Stopped pravistatin 2 months ago, fog is gone, no charlie horses, anxious well down, back is FINALLY starting to feel better. I am so mad no Dr ever mentioned it!”

gwwinzenburger · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 1, 2016

“This is the second statin I've taken and it too produces a lot of lower back pain, which I've had to endure. Exercise and stretching helps, but it's still there.”

Stephen II October 5, 2016

“I have been on pravastatin for nearly five months. Two months ago I felt soreness in my wrists. One month ago soreness and weakness in both knees. I will call my treating physician tomorrow. I can hardly get up from a sitting position.”

Not Good AT ALL July 22, 2016

“Ok so I am 80 mg a day and I feel sick at my stomach and can not eat very much ( but I had the same feeling after gallbladder was removed the nausea feeling) . I am somewhat scared because my doctor said this medications had less side effects. But I wake up feeling sick to my stomach and its not a good feeling at all. My cholesterol is very high and I am scared and I have high blood pressure so I am trying to do what my doctor say do. I feel like I am about to just eat oatmeal and that cereal that lowers cholesterol. Only been on it a week.”