User Reviews for Evolocumab

High Cholesterol
4.8

Summary of Evolocumab reviews 5.5 104 reviews

Reviews for Evolocumab

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am a 73 year old woman. My health was not perfect, but normal for a woman of my age. Then started taking Rapatha shots every 2 weeks. The worst mistake I ever made. It began with a very sore throat, at the same time severe headaches ( I had never had a headache in my life. Went to an ENT for my throat, after 2 test for strep throat and went to opthamologist for for eyes which felt like they were being pushed out of their sockets. Neither could explain my pain. THEN the worst pain ever in my lower back and legs. Can hardly walk. It’s been 6 weeks off the drug, still no relief. I now have no quality of life. Please tell me this drug will leave my body. I would rather die from high cholesterol, then live like this."

Lu Lu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I starting taking Repatha 140mg every 2 weeks in 2016. My cholesterol was 320 I had been taking other cholesterol drugs but they did not reduce my numbers. I’m 71 and when I started Repatha I did not connect my headaches ,neck pain and fatigue to the drug. Around three weeks ago I started having leg pain, knee pain, leg cramps and leg weakness. The pain is so bad I can’t hardly walk. Tomorrow I see my cardiologist I will ask if there is something else I can take .the Repatha did bring down the cholesterol back to normal."

LLL (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "70 yo male. 20 years ago got a stent in my "widow maker", another stent 10 years later. All statins > muscle pain. Cholesterol always very high but with high HDL (the good cholesterol). "Chol. ratios" excellent (Paleo), but Drs. don't believe in them. Started Zetia, and months later Repatha. No side effects for some months and cholesterol WAY down. Then, lower body weakness w/ balance problems. Had many tests including 4 MRI's of spine and brain. Nothing found. Also got PT which definitely helps, but still harder to exercise. Then got extreme fatigue after exercising every time. Collapsed in a chair mid-day hours every time. Stopped Repatha. Looking at other comments now, I see other issues I had may be side effects. Blood pressure higher. It felt like I had gynomastia for many months. After stopping Repatha it went away. Last sugar test higher than ever. I also had what I called a UTI. Got antibiotic. And memory problems got worse. I strongly recommend Vit C therapy."

3snakes August 7, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "1 shot repatha 3 months ago and at first I didn't feel I had any side effects then I started having pain in my hip and groin area and kept getting pain which I thought was my lower back that was acting up. I couldn't afford $1,800 copay so I couldn't afford . My family doctor gave me another sample injection 2 weeks ago. This time all my joints are painful can hardly move my hip at all the pain in my groin is much worse my wrists and knees which never hurt are pain and I realize now it's this drug I'm worried how long it's going to take to get out of my system and if all of this reversible. I absolutely can't take this one. It is not any better than anything else I've tried. On the positive side my cholesterol went down the first time I took the injection around 80 points so it does work but the side effects are not worth it I don't want to be a cripple I can hardly get out of bed"

Maj (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Worst drug on the market. If I could give it a zero I would! After 2 injection I experienced extreme muscle weakness and joint pain. I discontinued the medication. Contacted the FDA they informed me I was not the only person they had heard this from. I asked how long before the side effects were gone? This was March. They told me end of May! It did get better. But recently the muscle pain is back. It also grossly elevate my cholesterol after I discontinued the medication. I would not recommend anyone take this medication. The pros vs the cons are just not worth it. I don't think they can give a 125lb woman the same dose they give a 300lb man and not expect side effects."

Ssocenblu (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I'm a 35-year-old Caucasian male with high cholesterol since early 20s. Doctor Rx'd Repatha along with Lodalis and Ezetimibe. Cholesterol is now very low. I have severe bilateral hip pain but do not know if Repatha is the cause. Otherwise no other side effects. Recommended if you can afford it. 140mg every 2 weeks by injection."

Peter (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "My Cardiologist recommended Repatha. He was aware of my allergic reaction to Proluent. Specifically both meds produced dangerously high BP results. My former Cardiologist treated this with the application of .6 mg/hr nitro patches and oral as needed. Both Cholesterol meds contain a vaccine style component per the research physician for one of the manufacturers. She was no help except to assure me my reaction was “extremely rare”. It takes a while to get out of your system. In my case, 10 months. Following the Repatha I was avoided by my current Cardiologist and eventually suffered an in- hospital heart attack. I researched Cholesterol and feel it might be less of a problem that it is given credit for."

Frmrburger (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am a 71 year old male and in relatively good shape. I was working out and riding my bike 10-15 miles a day. I have chronic high cholesterol (300 overall). I cannot tolerate statins. I started taking Repatha on March 3, 2018. Shortly after the second injection I developed sinus issues (bloody nasal discharge), headaches, muscle/joint pain, muscle weakness, arrhythmia, diarrhea, and severe debilitating back pain. I did not immediately make the correlation with the Repatha injections. I made a appointment with my GP and he took me off Repatha. My last injection was May 13, 2018. The symptoms have improved, but are still present. I only hope the side effects are reversible. The quality of my life has been significantly impacted. I am disappointed. Repatha did lower my cholesterol, but the side effects are hardly worth it. Research this drug before you inject it."

Sandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "REPATHA Great treatment! After 4 shots of Repatha 140 mg. my cholesterol went from 250 to 160; LDL 187 to 114; HDL 41 to 49. I read most of the reviews and see some patients reporting negative reviews! I too was having some problems at first.. but then I started to use an App called CronOMeter which allowed me to keep track of my daily Fats, carbohydrates, and Protein I was eating on a daily basis! I found as long as I keep my daily Fat grams intake equal to my carbohydrates and protein grams combined, I do not experience any side affects! This is called a Low carb diet. What I would like ALL heart patients to know is it essential that you are fully aware of Fats, carbohydrates, and Protein grams you have in your body at all times and include that in your review of using Repatha! For example on a daily basis I consume 140 grams of Fats, 80 grams of Protein and 60 grams of Carbohydrates. This is known as a 1:1 ratio. F=(P+C)"

Three Stent Bob June 28, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "am 55yo woman, with total cholesterol above 300 and LDL above 200, can not take statins so dr. suggested Repatha, have been taking it twice a month (every 2 weeks) - after 4th injection I was awake all night but did not associate it with Repatha, so I took another one. Than dr. luckily told me to stop. Even now, 19 days after I took the last injection I need to take high dosage of melatonin to sleep at least few hours. I am not myself, my body is tired but my mind alert all night, my hands and feet burning. I don’t know the new levels of cholesterol yet but I do not seriously mind. I just hope this will stop soon and I will return to how I was before. Beware, they do not even list insomnia among side effects!"

mila (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I have very high cholesterol and cannot take statin. Was on Lipitor for 3 years and developed peripheral neuropathy. Repatha was recommended by my cardiologist. I noticed that after the 4th injection that my blood pressure was dangerously high 199/100. I read a study that said that this was occurring in women over 65. I stopped the Repatha. It took a long time to get my blood pressure back down. I've had a calcium heart scan and my score was 2! This is amazing for someone my age -73- with such high cholesterol. This drug did lower my ldl to around 140 from 290 but not worth the side effects! Will be staying away from Repatha!"

Polly (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Only took 12 doses and couldn’t move. Extreme fatigue and lethargy, back pain and horrible leg cramps. Doctor has stopped for now."

Ladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I had a stroke in my basket artery in July 2017. The clot was removed. I was put on a statin and 60 mg aspirin. I had a Tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) event in late Oct. It turned out that the same area had another clot. I had muscle pain, developed carpal tunnel, foot swelling and numbness, from statins. I also noticed a decrease in brain function and memory. While I had the numb feet and swelling , I twisted my left foot going down the steps. After 5 months and 5 different statins I was taken off of statins. Each time I changed statins , I had a few good weeks with no symptoms between the different statin types. All symptoms disappeared. My therapy was going well, I was walking without a cane, walking on a treadmill 45 minutes a day, biking on stationary bike for 15 minutes a day and taking classes and working out at they 3 days a week. Then I started on Rapatha. After one shot and one week, I developed severe back and leg pain, and numb feet . Haven't been back to Dr yet. Yboss"

Yboss June 8, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "Had LAD (left anterior descending artery) stent because of 80% blockage. i was on a statin but not lowering LDL enough, LDL was at 120. After 2 injections of Repatha, LDL was at 33 with no significant side effects, runny nose occasionally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I got shingles after using this. I stopped injections after 3 months and I am still getting recurring shingles almost 2 years later. I wish I would had never tried it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am a 54 yr old male, I have had heaps of stents, and 5 arteries bypassed which scarred closed in less than 3 years. I started Repatha as a last resort as my cholesterol was VERY high and my cardiologist said this drug has NO SIDE EFFECTS IN ANY OF HER PATIENTS. My first injection, I felt lethargic for 2-3 days after the shot. Started having sinus issues after the first week and neck pain by the end of the 2nd week. After 2nd shot, again very lethargic feeling. After the 3rd week everything fell apart. Severe headache, neck had to be iced down, nose no longer worked, vomiting and very bad diarrhea for 6 days in a row. I was coughing especially when laying down, coughing up milky colored mucus constantly, one minute I am freezing and 15 minutes later I am burning up. I am feeling so miserable. I hope this medicine gets out of my system soon. No one can survive feeling like this for very long."

BWillie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "My LDL dropped to 62. I haven't seen this number in as long as I can remember. What a relief."

Regina (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am an active and youthful 65 year old woman with a history of high cholesterol (high of 270) since menopause. Tried all the usual drugs, but had severe symptoms of foggy brain. In the interim, I had a cardiac cath and they found my widow maker already had 30% plaque. Dr recommended Repatha, which I have been injecting for 9 months. I have started experiencing muscular issues around my knees and feet, which cause pain, weakness, and joint pain. Symptoms are very noticeable the first week after the injection, and then decrease somewhat. I am going back to the doctor this week, and contemplating going off this drug. This has really affected my mobility - I feel like my legs are that of an 85 year old. I am curious about my ligaments and tendons after reading some of the previous patient experiences. I am very sad that I was told this drug was without side effects. Patient - beware."

JoHow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2018

Repatha Pushtronex (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Have been taking Repatha for two months, with an injection every two weeks. Almost immediately began to feel the malaise, sinus pressure, dry eyes and leg weakness. After the last two injections, began to have severe low back pain, pain in both hips and increasing numbness in both feet. Blood pressure has also increased slightly. Doctor states that it is not caused by Repatha, however, when treated by general practitioner for the symptoms above, they have been unable to identify proximal cause."

BE (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have administered 11 doses of Repatha and experienced severe back muscle pain and extreme weakness and pain in both knees after the 3rd injection. I thought it was from the statin drug the Dr prescribed. I discontinued the statin but the pain and weakness persisted and even appears to have worsened . I stopped the Repatha eight months ago but the pain and weakness have remained the same. I am 82 years old and in good health despite some severe artery blockages. I would have elected to do statins only had I known the pain would be so severe and almost constant. I strongly urge anyone considering Repatha to look at all these reviews first because the pain is there 24/7. Thank You for allowing me to tell my side and may GOD bless you all."

skip (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I was on my second bimonthly shot when I got a low fever than the worst runny nose and cough got so sick stayed in bed 3 days didn't want to eat husband said he was taking me to hospital, I got in shower couldn't hardly move had to have husband dry me and get me dressed, was in hospital with upper respiratory infection UTI, got out of hospital after 4 days with antibiotics, follow up with family Dr. Told her I had all side effects that showed for Rapatha, just went to Pulmonary Dr who said I had CPOD ask him about Rapatha he didn't know what it was or for, I am 71 has anyone else had this problem?"

Nancy April 25, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have been on the experimental drug Repatha for three years through my doctors . I agreed to take repatha because I was taking the maximum dosage of The Statin drug Lipitor. Lipitor was causing severe back neck shoulder pain and I felt like an 85 your old man even though I was barely 58. I have been taking Lipitor for 28 years so I'm sure it had some affect on my body. After taking repatha ,three injections every two weeks I started noticing that I had severe back and leg pain. I also have severe hand and thumb discomfort where I can barely open a bottle. I had x-rays taken of my thumbs only to find most of the cartilage has disappeared. I've had both Miniscuses repaired in both my knees. I am overweight 270 pounds and I am 6 foot one. I noticed after taking repatha that my eyes watered continuously and I sought medical attention, saying it was dry eye. Again I feel like an 85-year-old man I can barely walk up"

John John April 20, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "After 2 injections and significant lower LDL. I have done a third . No side effects. Actually feel better than I have in years. Age 65. With Repatha I am able to significantly increase my physical activity. On statins I could barely shuffle through a 5 k run at 12 minute per mile . A month later I am down to 10:30 per mile and still improving. Absolutely a life changing medication."

John April 16, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on Rapatha for 14 months. At first I was thrilled, with 2 heart stents and very high cholesterol it was a answer to my prayers. But I have been on antibiotic 17 times since starting this drug. I suffer from a UTI for at least 3 days after injection. I have had to go on Rx eyedrops due to irratated runny eyes I have suffered with upper respiratory infections, sinus infections, nasal swelling, back pain and what I believe is permanent pain and weakness in my legs. I have been in the ER 5 times with spiked BP and heart palpitations When telling my doctors cardiovascular and IM they both say they do not believe my symptom really annoyed and ready to see a lawyer. DO NOT USE THIS DRUG"

Trixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Within one week after taking an injection I began having constant palpitations for a month. Had labs drawn to make sure my potassium wasn't depleted which it was normal. My cardiologist said the repatha. would not have caused the palpitations but I had never had lasting palpitatons before. So, I do not want another injection."

daizy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018