User Reviews for Evolocumab

High Cholesterol
5.1

Summary of Evolocumab reviews 5.9 88 reviews

Reviews for Evolocumab

Repatha (evolocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "My LDL dropped to 62. I haven't seen this number in as long as I can remember. What a relief."

Regina (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I am an active and youthful 65 year old woman with a history of high cholesterol (high of 270) since menopause. Tried all the usual drugs, but had severe symptoms of foggy brain. In the interim, I had a cardiac cath and they found my widow maker already had 30% plaque. Dr recommended Repatha, which I have been injecting for 9 months. I have started experiencing muscular issues around my knees and feet, which cause pain, weakness, and joint pain. Symptoms are very noticeable the first week after the injection, and then decrease somewhat. I am going back to the doctor this week, and contemplating going off this drug. This has really affected my mobility - I feel like my legs are that of an 85 year old. I am curious about my ligaments and tendons after reading some of the previous patient experiences. I am very sad that I was told this drug was without side effects. Patient - beware."

JoHow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2018

Repatha Pushtronex (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Have been taking Repatha for two months, with an injection every two weeks. Almost immediately began to feel the malaise, sinus pressure, dry eyes and leg weakness. After the last two injections, began to have severe low back pain, pain in both hips and increasing numbness in both feet. Blood pressure has also increased slightly. Doctor states that it is not caused by Repatha, however, when treated by general practitioner for the symptoms above, they have been unable to identify proximal cause."

BE (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have administered 11 doses of Repatha and experienced severe back muscle pain and extreme weakness and pain in both knees after the 3rd injection. I thought it was from the statin drug the Dr prescribed. I discontinued the statin but the pain and weakness persisted and even appears to have worsened . I stopped the Repatha eight months ago but the pain and weakness have remained the same. I am 82 years old and in good health despite some severe artery blockages. I would have elected to do statins only had I known the pain would be so severe and almost constant. I strongly urge anyone considering Repatha to look at all these reviews first because the pain is there 24/7. Thank You for allowing me to tell my side and may GOD bless you all."

skip (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I was on my second bimonthly shot when I got a low fever than the worst runny nose and cough got so sick stayed in bed 3 days didn't want to eat husband said he was taking me to hospital, I got in shower couldn't hardly move had to have husband dry me and get me dressed, was in hospital with upper respiratory infection UTI, got out of hospital after 4 days with antibiotics, follow up with family Dr. Told her I had all side effects that showed for Rapatha, just went to Pulmonary Dr who said I had CPOD ask him about Rapatha he didn't know what it was or for, I am 71 has anyone else had this problem?"

Nancy April 25, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have been on the experimental drug Repatha for three years through my doctors . I agreed to take repatha because I was taking the maximum dosage of The Statin drug Lipitor. Lipitor was causing severe back neck shoulder pain and I felt like an 85 your old man even though I was barely 58. I have been taking Lipitor for 28 years so I'm sure it had some affect on my body. After taking repatha ,three injections every two weeks I started noticing that I had severe back and leg pain. I also have severe hand and thumb discomfort where I can barely open a bottle. I had x-rays taken of my thumbs only to find most of the cartilage has disappeared. I've had both Miniscuses repaired in both my knees. I am overweight 270 pounds and I am 6 foot one. I noticed after taking repatha that my eyes watered continuously and I sought medical attention, saying it was dry eye. Again I feel like an 85-year-old man I can barely walk up"

John John April 20, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "After 2 injections and significant lower LDL. I have done a third . No side effects. Actually feel better than I have in years. Age 65. With Repatha I am able to significantly increase my physical activity. On statins I could barely shuffle through a 5 k run at 12 minute per mile . A month later I am down to 10:30 per mile and still improving. Absolutely a life changing medication."

John April 16, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I have been on Rapatha for 14 months. At first I was thrilled, with 2 heart stents and very high cholesterol it was a answer to my prayers. But I have been on antibiotic 17 times since starting this drug. I suffer from a UTI for at least 3 days after injection. I have had to go on Rx eyedrops due to irratated runny eyes I have suffered with upper respiratory infections, sinus infections, nasal swelling, back pain and what I believe is permanent pain and weakness in my legs. I have been in the ER 5 times with spiked BP and heart palpitations When telling my doctors cardiovascular and IM they both say they do not believe my symptom really annoyed and ready to see a lawyer. DO NOT USE THIS DRUG"

Trixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Within one week after taking an injection I began having constant palpitations for a month. Had labs drawn to make sure my potassium wasn't depleted which it was normal. My cardiologist said the repatha. would not have caused the palpitations but I had never had lasting palpitatons before. So, I do not want another injection."

daizy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have had the characteristic sinus burn shortly after injecting Repatha each of the three times I’ve taken it. I have been on it now for seven weeks. After six and a half weeks, I noticed a red patch of skin, about 2.5” in diameter, with raised bumps. I have no way of knowing if it is a reaction to Repatha. If it is, I don’t think it’s serious because of its late appearance. It manifested six weeks into the therapy and several days after the last injection. Has anyone else experienced this?"

JF (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Since my doctor told me there were no side effects with this drug I was convinced that my back pain, hip, and leg pain must be from some other problem. When the pain became so severe I went to an orthopedist who took X-rays and couldn’t find any abnormality other than severe weakness in my left side and suggested I use a cane! Nothing helped with pain. I started developing hand weakness and even had trouble opening jars! I started to suspect that maybe my doctor was wrong but he insisted that there were NO reports of this side effects with this drug. I stopped the drug anyway and after 8 months of pain my symptoms are subsiding! Hopefully, this drug has not caused any permanent damage."

Barbara M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I took one shot of Repatha. I began to sweat profusely, could not swallow. I felt like I was shot in the left side of my head. Blood pressure soared to 200/102 and I still cannot control my blood pressure with three blood pressure medications after two years. Blood sugar went over 400. I began to choke and could not breath. My breast began to grow. I am a male yet I began to go through what seem to be female menopause. Doctors kept telling me it is a new drug and they have no idea how to treat it. I was told it is a monoclonal antibody made from a rodents spleen. My pituitary gland as well as thyroid are damaged. I continue to have menopausal symptoms. I have seen numerous doctors and been admitted into hospitals but nothing helps. I am having other issues. The suffering goes on. Pain in my head, trouble swallowing, sweating, mood swings,high blood pressure, high blood sugar, swollen breasts, high thyroid levels. It is like my body is fighting against itself."

AngD (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Repatha cut my ~200 LDL in half to ~100 with no other drugs. It also significantly lowered my TriG and raised my HDL. I'm in my 50's with treated heart disease. Stent in one of my coronary arteries. I've tried every statin and most of them twice. The statins all gave me side effects: serious brain fog and/or muscle aches. Thus Repatha is a life saver for me. I have had no side effects with Repatha--I am very pleasantly amazed. The injections are easy but its key to allow it to warm up fully to high end of room temp to allow it to thin out and inject easier. I took the other Praluent for about 5 months with similar results. It was a little faster and easier to inject with less sting. Key is to pinch your fat fold at injection site so you don't feel it. Since I'm not on a government insurance of any kind both PCSK9 companies supplemented my insurance with a copay card so I only pay $5/month. I'd still like to get my LDL below 70 (ideally below 50 even) thus the 9 out of 10 stars"

Loren C March 15, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "After taking Repatha for several months and developing intense neck and shoulder pain I discontinued the medication for several months. The pain got better. My Dr. convinced me to try it again. After 2 injections I developed extreme muscle weakness, pain in my shoulders, knees, rash, sinusitis. After an extremely embarrassing experience at Disneyland where I couldn't get out of the Matterhorn ride because I had absolutely no strength in my legs I discontinued Repatha. I will never take it again. Extremely pain and muscle weakness vs high cholesterol. I'll take my chances with the high cholesterol."

Britt March 15, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "Took one injection and LDL did go down to 50. However, had constant cold symptoms, bad sore throat, couldn't sleep and just felt miserable. Back to taking red yeast rice and bergamot where I can get my LDL under 80. Not great for someone with stents but really don't have any other really good alternatives."

Rfe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous: "Tried repatha and suffered a number of side effects. There was a lot of pain and swelling at the injection site. Later that evening suffered pretty severe abdominal and back muscle pain, headache, exacerbation of asthma symptoms, and general malaise. Most of these symptoms continued for 5-7 Days. The symptoms were very similar to those I suffered after taking several flu shots. Figured there might be some connection, and discovered they both contain polysorbate 80; an emulsifier. Will not be taking this drug again."

Mickey (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I started taking Repatha in late Nov or early Dec 2016 my LDL dropped dramatically. But after the 2nd week the pain started. It was excruciating. Shoulders, knees and hands were intolerable. Couldn’t turn on a table lamp. Couldn’t hold a toothbrush. I literally and truly thought I was dying. I quit the drug after 3 injections, possibly 4. It took months, if not longer, to recover. Not sure if some problems I have today are not caused by Repatha. I took Repatha because my doc increased my Crestor dose and I couldn’t tolerate it. I convinced my doc to let me now take half tablet of the lowest available dose of crestor. I started taking it every other day and am now up to half a tablet daily. It is working and I have tolerable pain and muscle weakness."

Tom S March 5, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "So much pain after I started taking Repatha. Lowered my cholesterol but you have to decide if you want to die from pain or high cholesterol. So many side effects from this stuff but heart doctors only see cholesterol numbers they don't worry about pain. "

Bettyboop (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "I began experiencing back pain after the first injection. I have had 3 injections and the back pain is escalating. I am seriously considering stopping therapy before the pain gets worse. I cannot tolerate the oral statins due to muscle pain. Now I am unsure what the next step should be."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "Drug definitely works if you can live with horrible side effects they started @after 3 rd injection and progressively worsened including severe back and shoulder pain, fingers, and joints. Also upset GI tract 2weeks after last injection I am still in great pain and hope this has not ruined my quality of life - I have stopped the med and notified the company and FDA of these side effects"

Lvpsr (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Not 100% sure the drug caused my issue's but the timing of symptoms correlates. I applied the 1x a month product to my right leg on November 5th and within 7 days developed twitches in calf in my right leg followed by stiffness and weakness in leg. I applied the 2nd dose in my left leg and 7 days later developed twitches weakness and tightness in my right leg. Reflexes very hyper. Progressively worsened over time. Recently began stretch exercises that have significantly reduced symptoms.. especially the tightness . Hopefully this will pass. I won't be taking anymore cholesterol drugs beyond natural remedies ginger and turmeric. When reading the Amgen study that was probably biased in favor of the drug since they profit from it, more people died on the drug then the placebo. Incredibly doctors are prescribing it. The same can be said for statins as the nih did a study of millions of people and the people on statins life expectancy declined. Healthcare in America is owned by big pharm."

Taxmeless February 2, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "My total cholesterol was over 600, on Repatha 370. . LDL was 570, on Repatha 240. HDL 40’s. Repatha certainly dented my numbers but, I now have horrible back pain, that’s getting worse w/each injection. I’ve been prescribed PT. I will not continue Repatha if it’s going to take out my back. What exactly is it doing to my body?!"

Mlmb January 9, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "I have been on Repatha for 12 months, I had 1 hour sleep a night for 2 months but back to normal now. Before I started it I was not able to do any lifting without collapsing through heart disease, I can now do anything I used to and recently underpinned my house, by hand, it seems like a miracle drug but my cholesterol seems to be going back up it started at 9 went down to 4.1 after starting Repatha but is now 5.3 still ok but worried about the future, will it keep going up again. I am now starting to get pain in my knees I live in England so receive the drug on the NHS SO I don't know the cost of the drug"

Dhdmk January 6, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: "The first injections were fine. Then I started having muscle, joint, and overall body pain which was very severe. Continued on drug several more months and although chlolesterol lowered from total 212 lb to 158 lb the pain has become unbearable. I stopped after 6 months and a month later only moderate improvement of body pain. I hope the muscles are not damaged"

dotla (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab) for High Cholesterol: "Started shots every two weeks in May 2017. Within a month I had a severe sinus infection. Dr. said allergies were bad for everybody and there was a lot of people suffering. Took two months worth of injections and I couldn't keep from having a stuffy nose and allergy symptoms. Cholesterol dropped from 250 to 140 but have trouble breathing and nose keeps plugging. I quit for a month and symptoms got better so I took another injection. This was my last. 6 months now and I have such nose swelling that I now have to have an operation to try and open my nasal passages. Miserable! Want to bring lawsuit for no sleep in a month and fight every minute to breathe through my nose."

Lee D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2017