User Reviews for Evolocumab to treat High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous

Also known as: Repatha

Evolocumab has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous. 56% of those users who reviewed Evolocumab reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Evolocumab Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol, Familial Homozygous.

Reviews for Evolocumab

Andy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 12, 2021

Repatha (evolocumab): “After reading all of the comments this medicine seems to either come straight from the fiery pits of an evil place or a sunbeam from heaven. I have tried every medication available and started Repatha 3 years ago. Levels are awesome and absolutely no side effects whatsoever!”

Pete November 1, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Repatha is the best medication ever. Cholesterol went from OVER 200 to under 170. Never under 200 in my lifetime. No side-effects.”

MissSassy · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “With Repatha I had elevated BP even with maximum BP meds. Ended in ER with BP over 200 with uncontrollable nosebleed. Extreme joint pain and swelling, leg and back pain and muscle weakness. Flushing, fatigue, headache and blurred vision. Gained weight (sometimes 5 lbs over night.) Stopped taking and hope side effects go away.”

LJP November 19, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “Right now, and for over 2 months, my quality of life has finished. Fever, extreme nasopharyngeal, ... see 4 specialist from allergy, PUds, ENT and Gastroscope! CT scans, blood tests, extreme fatigue, chills, fever over 101, constant visits to IM. He is baffled. Repatha drug is pure poison, should be black boxed. My life is now awful. Flu like symptoms for 2 month , extreme cough, laryngitis, neck pain, diarrhea blow outs, Horrible. Do not use this. The symptoms started slowly.... after 3 months I was in a debilitating condition from repatha.”

milepost20 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “After taking Repataha for 17 months I quit because of severe flu like symptoms for days after each shot. I had another heart attack resulting in more stents, kept taking Repatha my hip flexors were so painful I had to hobble around for months after stopping drug. I was told if I didn't take it I would die but no way can I tolerate Repatha or statins. I guess I am waiting for the next new drug.”

zoo keeper · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 20, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I am a long term T1 Diabetic, with a familial history of High Cholesterol. I had a triple bypass 5 years ago and was doing really well for about the last 4 years post op. With continual elevated cholesterol numbers, my Dr put me on Repatha. The first 2 injections were ok, with some minor side effects, such as dizziness and pretty bad back pain. I went to my massage therapist ,and chiropractor, and was treated for about 3 months with some relief. I also had a back x ray taken, with no major changes or abnormalities. I must admit, I DID NOT connect Repatha with these symptoms. Now, as far as that is concerned, it certainly did LOWER my bad cholesterol from 289 to 47, but again, at what price??? My major "new" side effects after taking Repatha for 4 months: Dizziness, Blurry Vision, Excruciating foot, leg, hip and back pain, shortness of breath and a rapid heartbeat, joint and strange bone pain and a runny nose.”

BetterNow · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 24, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Repatha has been life altering for me. Terrible genetic predisposition to high LDL and had angioplasty at 44. Total plaque machine. Been on statins, ezetimibe etc forever. Couldn't get my LDL below 130 (on Crestor and Zetia), which basically means I'd be Super high risk by 65 with clogged carotids, early onset Alzheimer's and strokes. Repatha has my LDL at <10. I've been on for 3 years and will be on Repatha or Praluent for the rest of my life, which I figure to have a better chance to much better and longer. I get mild cold symptoms for a short time after dosage, but nothing else. Test results have been superb, though I have not gone for measurements to see if my atherosclerosis is improving...which at near zero LDL it should be.”

DNF · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 3, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I have had high cholesterol all my life. Same as mother and grandmother. Went on statins in my mid-30s. Started taking Repatha about three years ago. One injection every two weeks. My numbers came down greatly. I get my blood taken every three months or so. Lately I have been having muscle twitching and cramping, mainly in my legs. I also feel that I have a type of anxiety, mainly feeling that in my upper body. I am getting a little forgetful as well. I am 58 years old and I exercise regularly. I also take a baby aspirin and 5 mg of lisinopril for blood pressure. I would like to hear from anyone out there that has similar side effects and any remedies?”

teamster282 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “Lowered my bad cholesterol increase my triglycerides. The worst part is severe back and leg pain. I stopped taking it and am taking my chances with a better diet rather than not being able to walk. This is a horrible medicine it should be banned by the FDA”

Cee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “With diet, Zetia, and Pravastatin my LDL is the lowest that it has ever been. It works great. I do have minor side effects but they are tolerable for these results. I have heart disease that started before I was medicated and so far, no heart attacks.”

TKS · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I was seriously surprised to see all of these horrific reviews for Repatha. I've been on it for two years and have had zero side effects after the first two weeks when I kind of sort of maybe had mild cold symptoms. I believe that was likely psychosomatic from reading the warnings that came with my first dose. I haven't been sick once, that I can recall, in the last two years nor had any aches and pains. Sadly, maxed out on statins along with Repatha and a vegan diet void of any dietary cholesterol, my total cholesterol is still over 200 and my HDL is only 38. I have a wicked case of FH that refuses to be beaten into submission. My total cholesterol was over 500 on a vegan diet with no meds to give you reference of how much meds have helped me. Repatha lowers my cholesterol slightly more than statins alone, so I plan to keep taking it as long as my co-pay card keeps my expenses low.”

Mikecefn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab): “Started injecting Repatha 4 months ago. Got IBS and now appear to be gluten intolerant. Don’t know if It’s a coincidence or linked to the medication. Feels like flu symptoms without the runny nose most of the time. Ache so much after going to the gym.”

Sundace1950 March 9, 2016

Repatha (evolocumab): “My total cholesterol was at 190 taking 80mg of Lipitor, also LDL-P level was at 1600 among other extremely high levels of sub-cholesterol levels. Since taking Repatha 140mg injections once every two weeks my numbers have tanked! Now total cholesterol is at 99 my LDL-P is at 538! and triglycerides at 80. No side effects other then a runny nose for a few hours after my first injection. I hope they find out it lowers the heart attack rate and stroke rate. What a miracle drug so far!”

Mickey · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab): “Tried repatha and suffered a number of side effects. There was a lot of pain and swelling at the injection site. Later that evening suffered pretty severe abdominal and back muscle pain, headache, exacerbation of asthma symptoms, and general malaise. Most of these symptoms continued for 5-7 Days. The symptoms were very similar to those I suffered after taking several flu shots. Figured there might be some connection, and discovered they both contain polysorbate 80; an emulsifier. Will not be taking this drug again.”

tennismom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2017

Repatha (evolocumab): “High Cholesterol (425 total) for all adult life-diagnosed at 35, went thru every LDL lowering drug as they were new to market. Some lowered as much as 100 points, numbers still very high. Triple Bypass surgery exactly 2 years ago, cardiologist started me on Repatha when it was released 1 year ago. The first 3 months I was battled flu and colds. It seemed my immunity was lowered. I was very run down and started on B12 and Vitamin C. I tried to resume a somewhat active life this past summer and became exhausted very quickly. Still working on building strength and staying healthy! Tests show Total Cholesterol at 165 (!) Wow. Thankful for Repatha , my supportive family & amazing results!”

Big Moe · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I am a 68 year old male with high LDL's. I'm on my 6th dose. I have gone from every two weeks to one dose per month. My first 3 doses brought blurry vision and lung issues. These symptoms have subsided to zero. My LDL's have dropped from the high 100's down to 44. I will continue on 1 dose per month and check my blood monthly. If I can get this drug to continually work for me to keep my blood numbers in order I will be happy. I have never had numbers in the green before. Big Moe”

Gabby · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2018

Repatha (evolocumab): “I started taking Repatha in September 2018 due to high cholesterol numbers and have had no significant problems. To give you an idea of how well this medicine has worked for me my total cholesterol when I started was 309 and just 2 months later it’s 101. Couldn’t be happier with the results.”

Comet December 25, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I've tried repatha twice now and I'm not a big fan. Flu like systems, swollen lymph node runny nose, shin pain, I'm miserable won't take it again. I pray I feel better soon.”

dog lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2016

Repatha (evolocumab): “fatigue, headaches, muscle aches”

Baruch · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Started repatha 2 years ago after CABG for 6 arteries. Have never experienced any side effects. My cholesterol scores are great now.”

Mal · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 21, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I was put on repatha after my second heart stent 2 years ago, I have now had 2 bouts of very bad pneumonia, the hospital has said to stop taking repatha as it can cause chest infection.”

firefly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “Does Repathy cause the legs to ache? Does Repathy cause varicose veins?”