User Reviews for Evolocumab to treat Cardiovascular Risk Reduction

Also known as: Repatha

Evolocumab has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 40 ratings for the treatment of Cardiovascular Risk Reduction. 30% of those users who reviewed Evolocumab reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Evolocumab Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Cardiovascular Risk Reduction.

23% 9
13% 5
35% 14

Reviews for Evolocumab

MartinJames February 12, 2021

“Because of too little effect of 3 different statins, cardiologist referred me to take up Repatha, (very good service surrounding application by the way). I was not really aware of problems it seemed fine after first 2 injections, however, I started Repatha just before a 4 week break from work. Slept a lot these weeks, walked more. The pain in legs I thought was caused by hikes, and drowsiness because of really relaxing. Upon return home and after my 3rd injection now, things seem to get worse: have problems concentrating, listlessness, urge to sleep 2-3 times during the day, stiffness and blurry sight that comes and goes. I also suffer from asthma, since my second injection I have greatly increased cough, inflammation. Just found this site and many of the symptoms reported here I recognized. Being an academic with access to current medical literature, I looked for recent research. New independent reviews and medical publications give rise to be suspicious about the the use of PCSK9 inhibitors.”

Kjo · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

Repatha (evolocumab): “Dec 15 had my first and only Repatha injection in Doctor office with 4 samples to take home while getting drug plan approval. After a day and half got terribly dizzy and afraid to walk. Took ginger capsules with some relief but occasional dizzy feelings- though much less- persist 51/2 weeks later. The next day horrible cramps and diarrhea. Unable to sleep at night and Imodium not fully effective. My belly still acts up out of the blue. Occasional surprise random symptoms like terrible post nasal drip with thick, choking phlegm. Hip muscles hurt at night and interfere with sleep though I have no hip arthritis on x-ray. Occasional sore throat and flu ish feelings come and go. Eyes are dry and blurry. Not taking another dose; I gave my samples to someone who can take it. Retired medical professional.”

Jonathan · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I've been taking the Repatha injection every other week for a year now along with lipitor 80mg. My doctor prescribed me the highest dose of a statin x2 and my levels would not drop to my bodies desired level to dodge another cardiac episode. Overall Repatha has helped me get my labs under control and the only complaint is the injection stings a little. ( No side effects for me)”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Got one dose of Repatha, self administered under staff supervision, one week ago. About a day and a half got such dizziness it was difficult to walk. I took my blood pressure which was lower than my usual normal BP. The next day started the belly cramps and runs. Felt absolutely miserable. Still get dizzy spells/ cramps all day a week later. Afraid to ever take a second dose. I am a retired medical professional. I am 78.”

Happy as · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 11, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I had a stent July 2019 in the left anterior descending artery (LAD) 90% blockage. Put on statins and my whole body reacted. Pain, peripheral neuropathy and list really goes on. Just cannot take the Statins. Put on Repatha, and a miracle happened. My life was given back to me. LDL dropped to 1.1, body pain relieved, peripheral neuropathy disappeared in months, no longer tripping and falling. I feel myself again. Can not recommend the treatment more. I take one 140mg injection once a month.”

MI at 37 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Elevated LDL and I could not tolerate statins. Went years without any medication until my cardiologist recommended to try Repatha saying it has hardly any known side effects. After taking 5 shots I have to disagree and probably stop taking this miracle drug. It certainly works as after 2 months my LDL went down 50%. But after about 1.5 months in I started to have side effects: excessive sweating (head), chills, weak legs, pain and aching in feet, ankles, knees and groin. Dry and itchy sinuses. Change in vision. Mild back pain and overall fatigue, I stopped taking it for a month and about 3 weeks after the side effects were gone. After 4 weeks tried to take another shot and in 4-5 days all the goodies were back. Works great if you can tolerate it.”

Tug · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I’m a 70 yr old female with history of high cholesterol . I’ve tried several different statins /dosage thru the years. I cannot tolerate . Severe flu like symptoms. I finally decided to try Repatha. I had my first injection 7/20. Within a day or so started having severe stomach issues, lower back pain , breathing and sinus issues. Fatigue was terrible. These are also symptoms of Covid 19. I was tested and was negative . It was determined to be the Repatha. I will not do a second injection. I guess I’ll take my chances with stroke or heart attack. Trying to lower with diet/exercise. I never want to go thru that again! Still not out of my system !”

Brad · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 20, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I have been on Repatha since January. My average glucose was 116-120 before that. In March, my glucose was 200. In June it was 400. I am wondering if Repatha causes increase blood glucose levels. I am now on daily insulin and cannot keep it below 150. The swings are over 150. I have an appointment with cardiologist to switch back to a statin. By the way, My LDL did drop to 3. That is not a misprint. I just hope I can resume normal glucose levels again.”

Sailandcrash · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I took Repatha for three months and then stopped it. I had leg pain for two months and could barely walk. Shoulder pain for 6 weeks, could not roll over in bed. Then it got in my hands. Terrible pain both hands, only opioids would let me sleep 4 hours. Had to dr. shop to get more. Could not open bottles. Could not use hand grip exerciser. Not at all. After one year I have my hands back, long time! Had to have carpel tunnel surgery on on had during that time. Hands still weak. Bad stuff.”

Horacioo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I have taken five shots of Rapatha due to CAD and so far I have had no side effects. I would like to mention for those looking to lower the LDL to look into a natural solution called Bergamot. My LDL was at 183 In Dec 2019 and in five months I’ve brought it down to 11. It went from Dec 2019 183 Mar 2020 76 May 2020 11 So from Dec 2019 to March 2020 it dropped 107 point and I was NOT taking the Rapatha shots yet. I started the Rapatha in March 2020 and it is now at 11. It must have helped but without the Rapatha my LDL was dropping like a rock. Regarding my Rating, I will not know how effective it has been for my CAD until I have another Calcium Score so this rating is iffy at best.”

Jack April 29, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “After 4th injection developed weakness in arm and leg, rushed to ER. While they were doing CT and MRI for stroke the weakness spread to all other large muscles. Then in about a week fatigue came. Also diarrhoea, muscle twitching, nausea, lightheadedness, pounding pulse, runny nose and general feeling of a very, very bad hangover. It's been two months and the symptoms wax and wane. A week of improvement alternate with symptom recurrence. All possible tests for electrolytes, antibodies, known systemic conditions, endocrine etc. are normal. I was stunned when started reading on forums that people experienced exactly the same presentation of the side effects. Progressive, after several unremarkable injections, waxing and waning side effects that linger for months after discontinuation. They are totally disabling and scary at their peak. It does lower LDL a lot, but with those side effects I am not sure it can prolong life. It is damaging something in the cells on the way.”

Victor · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “Repatha was prescribed to me by my cardiologist because I have statin intolerance (muscle pain). I started taking Repatha in November 2019. after 2 months my LDL went down significantly. My cardiologist and I were very please with the results but in January 2020 I started experiencing pain in my shoulders and upper arms. The source of pain cannot be determined after a lot of investigation. The pain as we speak is getting worse and wakes me up at night. I take pain relievers and muscle relaxant to get a temporary relief. I am planning to take coQ10 for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement. I have no choice but to continue with this medication since I had triple bypass surgery 2 years ago. I will keep the group posted if I notice any pain relief after taking coQ10.”

Stev March 25, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I was on 80mg Lipitor (statin). Come down with peripheral neuropathy and other issues while on Lipitor. Taken off the Lipitor and tried Repatha 140 once each 4 weeks. Repatha has been a life saver. Next to no side effects, peripheral neuropathy has nearly disappeared after 3 months. Feeling great and feel like my life has been given back to me. For me this drug is a miracle. Could not be happier. You need to shop around for best price. LDL has dropped to 1.1 in first month.”

Falhud March 22, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I had a heart attack at 47. My cholesterol was 193 but LDL was a little high. Have a family history so I visited cardiologist at 45 and was told everything was great had“the heart of a 30 year old”. After getting two stents and getting blood work done it’s determined I produce smaller particles and absorb more cholesterol. They put me on statins, there were crippling to me. Joints swollen and ached. I’m very active, in the gym 3-5 days a week and exercise daily. Been on repatha for 3 years, LDL is under 40 every checkup. I don’t notice side effects as I did from the statins. I read these reviews and was shocked by all the problems... sounds like my statin experience.”

igor · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

Repatha (evolocumab): “I am 73. Had 1st heart attack and bypass surgery age 47 and the second bypass at 69. I felt well after the first bypass but not so after the second: heart pain, feeling of being unwell, sick, couldn't walk up a slope. LDL was about 140 with use of Pravastatin. My wonderful cardiologist decided to try Repatha. Now after 3 years I feel way better, don't have heart pain and can work up the hill, exercise 5 times a week. My LDL went to below 10 but HDL increased from 32 to 44. Repatha is a life saver for me. No detectable side effects”

Rcristal · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I took three doses of Repatha on a two week regimen as instructed. Within several weeks I began having severe right side gastrointestinal issues. My Liver enzymes shot up quickly. The Doctor indicated that this was not from Repatha. However, after 69 years I do not believe in coincidence. I stopped the drug and, to date, the enzymes are SLOWLY declining. However, I have severe pain. 14 blood tests, a MRI, two ultra sounds and a CT Scan in a five week period show a few cysts but nothing major. The pain is so rough that I will have an Endoscopy next week. While I am thrilled that the tests have looked good I remain quite concerned because of the constant pain. There is no way to determine if Repatha is the culprit. However, I will state again that this all started within days of starting this drug. Rcristal”

heart · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 15, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “My skin has been itching for 8 months Thought it was nerves scalp and nose and ears and eyes all itch I can't live like this. Plus sore throat and chills after every shot”

Linda Lou · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 8, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I had another stent in March of this year. Was put on Vescepa and Repatha. I have experienced back pain and hip pain. Thought was the Vescepa and called heart doctor. Didn't think about Repatha. Was told to reduce dosage, but I quit completely. I still have same pain, but legs getting worse hurts to walk. Pain in hip bones and back still there too. Decided to read reviews on Repatha and I am having identical pain as other reviewers. I am not using it either and see if all this pain goes away. I had bronchitis and some type of flu also now am wondering if this med was what caused that. Why would a heart doctor prescribe two drugs to lower cholesterol? Mine is high from genetics. My doctor said if I didn't get cholesterol down would be back with needing another stent, heart attack, or stroke. What helps one thing causes something else thats serious. How long did it take after some of you quit taking for side effects to go away? Hope these drugs don't do permanent damage.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “I have been taken Repatha 3 and 1/2 months. at first I was fine my cholesterol went down and by the third month I was getting blurred vision headaches severe fatigue burning in the feet muscle pain in my back of neck it's gotten to the point where I can't even work I'm so, so tired, short of breath, wheezing, urinating a lot although my cholesterol went down it's not worth taking Repatha if there's no quality of life for me”

Deane · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 29, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “Have been on repatha, 140ml every two weeks, since February 2019. Before that, I was on about the same dose of praluent for about 2 and a half years. My Medicare drug provider did not approve praluent, so had to switch. Cardiologist says they are basically the same thing. Have never had any problems in either one. And along with the statin and ezetimibe, my cholesterol numbers are nearly negligible. Also, although I have been borderline diabetic for a couple decades, I am still below 6.2.”

JJ September 19, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “The day after taking Repatha my blood sugar soared to 450 just days after a 6.2 A1C result. The worst part is that when I reported this to my cardiologist the reaction was gee we did not know that was a side effect. The same response came from the Cardiology department. Hard to fathom that they didn't know about a side effect that is listed on the reaptha.com website in plain English. Tells you something about how informed the Doctors are - and we rely on their knowledge. Funny just after my experience Repatha price dropped ...that pretty much tells the tale”

AJ September 19, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “New to Repatha therapy first dose 9/17”

AMS · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “Now I am experience flu type symptoms and 101.3 temp. Three weeks after taking my one and only Repatha injection.”

AMS · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “One injection and I am not going to take it again. First chills then horrible muscle pain in upper chest and neck. Gained 6 lbs in two weeks. Put me on edge. Still suffering. Woke up in middle of night with more pains. Only a pain killer helped. I do not believe in the LDL theory anyway. ”

Anonymous September 3, 2019

Repatha (evolocumab): “My husband has been off the Repatha for 9 months. He is still feeling the numbness in his feet. Also, feels like his feet are freezing. His legs don't want to work all the time. Pains up and down his legs. He had a heart attack last year and right before he was put on the Repatha he was up to a mile walking. He can barely walk 1/4 mile without still being in pain and exhausted. Only took the shot 3 times. By 3rd shot he couldn't walk.”