Zetia Side Effects
Generic name: ezetimibe
Note: This document contains side effect information about ezetimibe. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Zetia.
Applies to ezetimibe: oral tablets.
Side effects include:
Ezetimibe in fixed combination with bempedoic acid: Upper respiratory tract infection, muscle spasms, hyperuricemia, back pain, abdominal pain or discomfort, bronchitis, extremity pain, anemia, increased hepatic enzymes, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, fatigue, influenza.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ezetimibe: oral tablet.
The most frequently reported side effects were upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, and pain in extremity.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, diarrhea, flatulence
Common (1% to 10%): Arthralgia, pain in extremity
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Muscle spasms, neck pain
Postmarketing reports: Myalgia, myopathy, rhabdomyolysis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Upper respiratory tract infection, sinusitis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cough
Postmarketing reports: Hypersensitivity reaction[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Gamma-glutamyltransferase increased, liver function test abnormal, AST/ALT increased
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Dizziness
Postmarketing reports: Paresthesia, headache[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hot flush, hypertension[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Appetite decreased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue, influenza
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Chest pain, pain, creatine phosphokinase increased
Postmarketing reports: Asthenia[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Is it a statin drug/medication?
- Does Zetia (ezetimibe) cause memory loss?
- Is this better than a statin?
- Can Zetia (ezetimibe) cause liver damage?
- Does it affect blood pressure?
- How does it work to lower cholesterol?
- Can it cause weight gain or loss?
- What happens if you stop taking it?
- When should you take it?
More about Zetia (ezetimibe)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (72)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Generic availability
- Support group
- Drug class: cholesterol absorption inhibitors
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Zetia (ezetimibe). Schering-Plough Corporation. 2002.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. UK Summary of Product Characteristics.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. Australian Product Information.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.