User Reviews for Zetia

Learn more about Zetia.

Zetia Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 304 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Zetia to treat High Cholesterol

"If you are starting to belch while on this medicine stop taking it, because it is starting to cause stomach inflammation which is gastritis. This medicine caused muscle atrophy, dry eye, runny nose, anxiety, foot and calf cramping, sweating, sinus and stomach inflammation. I have been dealing with the gastritis never had any stomach issues in my life until zetia. I believe the drug companies are not telling people about all the side effects because they know not everyone gets every side effect but believe me this a dangerous medicine I have went from 150lbs with a lot of muscle went to the gym lifted and ran 3 to 4 miles a week. Now about 118lbs and still suffering 8 almost 9 months later."

MJRanks January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Got my cholesterol under control and no adverse side effects. Cost is a bit high, but, insurance pays about 66%."

LSG (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking Zetia (10 mg) for about five years. My copay was about $100 at first but in the past two years the price has risen dramatically, even though I understand it will soon be considered a generic. My current order bears a copay of $411 for a 90 day supply and the result is that I will simply stop taking it. (My copay is 50% of the nominal full price of the drug.) Until I read some of the comments here I was unaware that my excessive sweating might be due to this prescription drug. We must do something about pharmaceutical companies constantly marking up drug prices just because they can."

IanMacF October 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Dropped total number down 86 points teamed only with red yeast rice supplements. 10 mg per day with dinner. I live in Phienix so can't tell if Zetia causing sweat or Phx heat but it has worked great. Very active life and no known side effects. Mail prescription plan costs 40.00 for 90 days."

Great in Phx August 5, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this drug after my liver decided it was going to show sensitivity to statins. Im in tears right now. Its only been 4 days and I've been experiencing severe joint pain, muscle tenderness, chest pain, and now woken up by a night terror. I dont know what im going to do, but ai cant take this drug anymore. It's frightening!"

Teresa274 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Only took 2 days. Leg pains already, flu like symptoms, felt feverish, but no fever. Cold, clammy chills. I can't take statins, and it seems this is a no-go also."

gone2beach (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After having difficulties with Simvastatin (sudden flailing of limbs), Lovaza (hyperhydrosis), Tricor (worse hyperhydrosis, fatigue, acid reflux), and high dose Niacin (same but worse), I was put on Zetia. hyperhydrosis to the point of hyponatremia (constant sweating even in 30F weather & low sodium), inability to walk & breathe for more than a few steps at a time, reduced cardiac & respiratory function, clammy skin, constant feeling of being on fire (normal body temp but FELT like I was burning alive), fatigue, and...severe craving for milk. I was drinking 2 to 2 1/2 GALLONS of milk PER DAY. I was always dehydrated. I gained 50 lbs on skim milk. Did lower my triglycerides but almost killed me. Improved swiftly after stopping Zetia."

Flickchick (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took 1 zetia and my throat swelled up. I wound up in ER, getting IV steroids and benedryl. I will never take it again. I cannot take statins due to terrible muscle pain."

Nothappy2 October 22, 2015

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am shocked at the out of pocket price of Zetia of out of $95,00 a month. Since this seems to be on only non statin replacement of the use with cholesterol you are definitely price gouging"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2015

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I experienced severe abdominal cramps and pain as well as diarrhea. I also experienced weakness and fatigue. I could not tolerate the drug, so I do not know if it had any effect on my cholesterol."

ahilley September 8, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The second day of taking Zetia I had night leg cramps (Charlie's Horse). The third night, same thing, leg cramps at night. The fourth night foot and leg cramps at night. Stopped taking them after fourth night."

hope44 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2015

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Cholesterol numbers are in the normal range for the first time EVER. I take it with Livalo (the cost for both medications is horrible and are Tier 4 meds on insurance formulary list). Only side effect is perspiration comes in waves (not all the time) and has the odor of garbage. Bathing is the only solution for this problem. Deodorants only work for a short period after a "sweat" episode."

I AM PU October 30, 2014

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Combining the Zetia with low dose Atorvastatin has produced good results with my cholesterol numbers. My Cardiologist added it to my regimen about 4 years ago and it has not added any side effects other than in the wallet. "

BANGIE (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2014

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking this for 10 years and although my cholesterol numbers are good, I'm constantly fatigued. I take a handful of other medications as the result of a heart attack that left no permanent damage to my heart. Sometimes I wonder if the side effects of a lot of these medications is worth the benefit. Plus, Zetia is expensive."

Jack Bauer (taken for 10 years or more) August 11, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Dizziness, tiredness, runny nose, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, generally feel bad."

Nunu1950 March 5, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been using Zetia for two years. I am also having extreme muscle pain with profuse sweating when I get too hot."

fgr500 June 25, 2013

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have had really good results with this medicine and no adverse side effects. I had not had to take it for about 5 years, but was recently asked by my M.D. to go back on it. I am going to have to decline due to the huge difference in the cost of it now! For a 90 day supply, it is now $285.00 even with my prescription insurance. I am on a fixed income & absolutely cannot afford this! "

Grammy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After statring Zetia, I began to have weird dreams which lasted throughout the night. I began taking it in the morning with my breakfast, and had stomach discomfort."

Carl A. April 20, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Stopped taking Zetia at night as I had horrific nightmares. Will try it in the morning, see if I have any side effects. Can't take statins because off muscle pain."

Heidi111 March 21, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took Zocor for 10 years before developing muscle pain. Since then its been trail and error with several different stains. In each case I developed muscle pain in essentially the area of my body, right buttocks and hip. Most recently I was put on Zetia without any statin. After two months the pain returned to the same area only much more severe than previous and more persistent."

JerryCs1 March 17, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take 20mg of Crestor in addition to Zetia and have for 5 years or more with no side effects. I asked my doctor to take me off Zetia for 6 months to see what my numbers would look like without it. For me, it knocks about 40 points off the total score, so I'm back on Zetia again."

KPdePK September 20, 2011

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Tried several statins but both resulted in terrible muscle pain despite working to reduce both LDL and HDL levels. After switching to Zetia, no more muscle pains while lowering my LDL and maintaining my HDL levels."

Anonymous January 2, 2011

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So far no muscle pain with this medication. Very expensive over $100 for 1 month supply, and no generic."

Anonymous July 14, 2010

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Put my heart into A-fibrillation. It was discontinued and no sign of A-fibrillation in heart when checked. "

sg372 May 24, 2010

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have used this at 1/2 the prescribed dosage for over a year. My cholesterol levels have improved dramatically even at the lower dosage. I do not believe my cholesterol is a problem but have succumbed to my doctor. I would not take statins although my insurance company says I should. I am pleased with the results."

HankSYL October 29, 2009