User Reviews for Zetia to treat High Cholesterol

Zetia Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Zetia

Big Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

“I was put on Lipitor for lipid reduction. Did the job, but lower legs and quads and hams started to cramp severely during spinning classes at local Y. Complained to my doctor, immediately put me on Crestor. Did the job and no cramps. Been on them for 8 years. Now cardiologist wants my LDL below 70 forever. So he puts me on generic Zetia. After 30 days, my Total Cholesterol dropped 20% to 143. Triglyceride from 97 to 78, LDL dropped from 100 to 62, Triglycerides from 97 to 78 and HDL from 56 to 65. Never had my LDL below 70 and they have proof if can keep the LDL under 70 for 4 or 5 years you can reduce artery and leg plague by 24 %. No stents or surgeries needed. Just take your meds.”

Freedancer · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“I cannot take statins as they tank my depression. I am a disabled veteran and have had my depression under control for several years now. My general practitioner at the VA put me on Zeita for cholesterol. I took it for approximately 4 days. My depression got so bad that I stopped it today and notified my psychiatrist and my general practitioner that I was stopping it as of today. I spent the last two days crying because I felt so bad. I also was extremely tired and my joints and muscles were hurting. This is just how the statins affected me. If you suffer from depression, run away from this drug as fast as you can!! It works very quickly and can catch you completely off guard!”

Mark · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

“My experience was horrible two weeks in burping tons of gas turned into vomiting diarrhea stomach problems all the time now I cannot drink milk without having episodes of gas just not comfortable in my own body anymore unbelievable I was fine before I took this medication never had any problems with my stomach or my intestines been off it for 2 weeks still having problems with my intestines and my stomach not too happy about it horrible drug”

Von July 29, 2019

“I can't take statins they make me hurt so bad no pain medicine even works. My cholesterol is so high now and I'm on a strict diet and stay on it at my cholesterol still goes up and now my arteries in my neck are clogged so the doctor decided to try me on Zetia I've been on it for 10 days my stomach is extended so much I thought I gain water in my stomach it hurts so bad my legs cramp I couldn't take the treadmill test because I ran out of air will have to do a chemical test I've had the sweats and chills what is a person to do I don't know where to turn to anymore I guess I inherited my dad's bad genes because he died at 42 and right now I am 69 and had strokes and heart attack it's all crazy”

Lala · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2019

“I have familial high cholesterol not caused by diet. I eat very healthy and weigh 100 lbs. I had no choice but to take medication. I had extreme negative side effects to both statins I tried. One landing me in the ER. I was desperate to find something that I could take. My boyfriend researched and found this. My Dr wasn’t sure it would work but I was hopeful. It brought my cholesterol down well into normal range with no side effects at all. I’m very grateful for this medication since I can’t take statins and my cholesterol cannot be controlled by diet.”

Ollie · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

“I have been on Zetia 4 weeks. I am having pains under my ribs on left side and radiating to my back. Stomach pains just woke me up in the middle of the night. My feet have been cramping at night. I keep having severe bloating in my stomach. I also keep burping. Calling doctor in am to stop drug.”

Suzanne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2019

“Started taking ezemtibe 7/17 to lower cholesterol my cholesterol which was high. I Developed sore joints and started belching, but didn’t relate this to medication. In August, I noticed large patch loss of pigment on skin below kneecaps. Then patches developed on hands and feet. Within ten months, pigment loss showed around my mouth. I then stopped the Zetia and the joint pain disappeared, I had no more belching and no more pigment loss. But I then had shingles. I have read that pigment loss and shingles result from a damaged immune system. As I am an otherwise healthy and active 65 year old, and the fact that all of these systems occurred shortly after beginning this medication, I believe the ezemtibe damaged my immune system.”

Susan February 20, 2019

“If I could rate this less than zero, I would!! I cannot tolerate statins so my doctor started me on Zetia. I started having severe side effects after just a few weeks. I didn't realize it was this medication at first and ended up in the ER after five weeks of being on it. I had severe distention in my abdomen, severe cramping, burning in my gut, pain, bleeding. I also had what felt like a bladder infection because I had pinching of my bladder and bleeding in my urine (although a urine test did not indicate I had an infection). I had so much distention in my abdomen that I could barely eat or drink anything. I also had tightness in other areas of my body including my chest, groin, and of course, abdomen. I stopped this the day I went to the ER. I have been off this medication for several weeks now but continue to have issues. I have severe indigestion after I eat now and it seems to have flared up many other health related issues, as well as generally not feeling well.”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2018

“I don’t know if Zetia is helping my high cholesterol since I have only been taking it three weeks and haven’t had the followup lab work yet but I am getting ready to discontinue it on my own. My main complaint is extreme fatigue to the point where I feel like I need to lay down after quick outings. My blood pressure has dropped and I have started taking a half dose of my blood pressure medication and a half pill of the Zetia. Still, I’m tired and find myself short of breath after moving around or even while talking sometimes. I just generally feel bad and weak but I can’t tolerate statins. I was hoping this would work but it doesn’t look like it.”

None · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

“I have tried statins to bring my cholesterol down but the side affects were unbearable! Have been on zetia a week and the side affects are insane. My muscles and joints hurt so bad I want to scream. My skin even burns! Give me high cholesterol over these medications and their side affects any day. I only hope they will go away!”

one.day.at.a.time · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

“Couldn't take statins due to multiple side effects. Took zetia for 6 weeks before realizing it was causing severe nausea on a daily basis, constipation, extreme tiredness, excruciating hip pain, hot flashes with profuse sweating as well as gastritis. I've been off zetia for two weeks and I'm still having the awful sweating flashes, constipation, hip pain and tired to the point I fall asleep for about 30 minutes when I get home from work every day. The nausea is finally gone and gastritis has improved. I hope all this goes away soon!! I'm miserable! I will not take meds for cholesterol again I'm going to go back to Krill oil and flaxseed oil.”

Brandy Lane · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2017

“Just started treatment”

Will not let me post · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2017

“Took Zetia at 10:30 at nite with my pravastatin 30mg. By 2:00 AM I woke with Horrible leg and Arm muscle pain. Never had issues on the low dose pravastatin but now 2 days later my legs still burn. I can not stand it and HOPE it goes away. Never again I had the same problems with lipitor only this is not going away yet. Not worth it.”

Pete_C June 11, 2017

“I am 66 and have been taking Zetia 10 for nearly 5 years now. I had previously taken Zocor, Mevacor, and Crestor consecutively over a period of about 15 years, each giving me severe muscle pain in my feet and legs. At one point, the pain in my arches was so bad that one doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis and recommended surgery. That's when I stopped taking any statins and within a couple of months, the pain was completely gone. When I started taking Zetia, I saw no adverse side effects and my bad cholesterol went down a little. About a year ago, I started having pain and weakness in my legs when standing up or climbing stairs. Now, I'm have pain in my left calf and heel and occasionally in my left arm, shoulder and back.”

Redpop May 31, 2017

“My efforts to take something other than Statin is Zeita! My liver enzymes spike with Statins along with fatigue, muscle weakness and cramping, major confusion and memory difficulty! Overall my cholesterol is in the 300's and I need to get it lowered so Zetia is one of many I've tried and couldn't tolerate! Side effects for me are fatigue, chills, and flushing then sweats! Muscle charlie horses, joint pain!”

MJRanks January 29, 2017

“If you are starting to belch while on this medicine stop taking it, because it is starting to cause stomach inflammation which is gastritis. This medicine caused muscle atrophy, dry eye, runny nose, anxiety, foot and calf cramping, sweating, sinus and stomach inflammation. I have been dealing with the gastritis never had any stomach issues in my life until zetia. I believe the drug companies are not telling people about all the side effects because they know not everyone gets every side effect but believe me this a dangerous medicine I have went from 150lbs with a lot of muscle went to the gym lifted and ran 3 to 4 miles a week. Now about 118lbs and still suffering 8 almost 9 months later.”

LSG · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 16, 2017

“Got my cholesterol under control and no adverse side effects. Cost is a bit high, but, insurance pays about 66%.”

IanMacF October 18, 2016

“I have been taking Zetia (10 mg) for about five years. My copay was about $100 at first but in the past two years the price has risen dramatically, even though I understand it will soon be considered a generic. My current order bears a copay of $411 for a 90 day supply and the result is that I will simply stop taking it. (My copay is 50% of the nominal full price of the drug.) Until I read some of the comments here I was unaware that my excessive sweating might be due to this prescription drug. We must do something about pharmaceutical companies constantly marking up drug prices just because they can.”

Great in Phx August 5, 2016

“Dropped total number down 86 points teamed only with red yeast rice supplements. 10 mg per day with dinner. I live in Phienix so can't tell if Zetia causing sweat or Phx heat but it has worked great. Very active life and no known side effects. Mail prescription plan costs 40.00 for 90 days.”

Teresa274 · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2016

“I was prescribed this drug after my liver decided it was going to show sensitivity to statins. Im in tears right now. Its only been 4 days and I've been experiencing severe joint pain, muscle tenderness, chest pain, and now woken up by a night terror. I dont know what im going to do, but ai cant take this drug anymore. It's frightening!”

gone2beach · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2016

“Only took 2 days. Leg pains already, flu like symptoms, felt feverish, but no fever. Cold, clammy chills. I can't take statins, and it seems this is a no-go also.”

Flickchick · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2015

“After having difficulties with Simvastatin (sudden flailing of limbs), Lovaza (hyperhydrosis), Tricor (worse hyperhydrosis, fatigue, acid reflux), and high dose Niacin (same but worse), I was put on Zetia. hyperhydrosis to the point of hyponatremia (constant sweating even in 30F weather & low sodium), inability to walk & breathe for more than a few steps at a time, reduced cardiac & respiratory function, clammy skin, constant feeling of being on fire (normal body temp but FELT like I was burning alive), fatigue, and...severe craving for milk. I was drinking 2 to 2 1/2 GALLONS of milk PER DAY. I was always dehydrated. I gained 50 lbs on skim milk. Did lower my triglycerides but almost killed me. Improved swiftly after stopping Zetia.”

Nothappy2 October 22, 2015

“I took 1 zetia and my throat swelled up. I wound up in ER, getting IV steroids and benedryl. I will never take it again. I cannot take statins due to terrible muscle pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2015

“I am shocked at the out of pocket price of Zetia of out of $95,00 a month. Since this seems to be on only non statin replacement of the use with cholesterol you are definitely price gouging”

ahilley September 8, 2015

“I experienced severe abdominal cramps and pain as well as diarrhea. I also experienced weakness and fatigue. I could not tolerate the drug, so I do not know if it had any effect on my cholesterol.”