User Reviews for Rabeprazole to treat GERD

Also known as: Aciphex, Aciphex Sprinkle

Rabeprazole has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 45 ratings for the treatment of GERD. 78% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Rabeprazole Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Rabeprazole

Peojo · Taken for 10 years or more November 14, 2020

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have been taking brand name Aciphex since probably late 1990s. 20 mg/day magically disappeared my symptoms after all other PPIs and H2 blockers eventually failed. Then the price started to go up so I celebrated the day the patent expired. Generic rabeprazole was a great disappointment so we (my GI doc and I) kept writing letters to insurance so they would pay for the brand name. Eventually the price went out of control so we had to abandon that option. We found out that Eisai ltd. the manufacturer of Aciphex also manufactured the generic rabeprazole under the name of Pariet in Great Britain. This worked so far for the last couple of years but I have to double the dose to 40 mg/day and combine it with 20 mg of famotidine. I read other reviews that indicate people had similar frustrating experiences when switching to generic rabeprazole. I wonder what makes that difference and why?”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2020

“I tried multiple OTC drugs for GERD, including Prevacid, which gave me horrible diarrhea. I went to the GI doctor who prescribed me AcipHex and said that it was less likely to cause GI issues and would take away the GERD and belching from my hiatal hernia. It solved the GERD but not the belching but I had HORRIBLE rashes pop up and I couldn't figure out why I was so itchy. Then, I realized this was the only new thing I added recently. Side effects are rashes, itching, SLE, and others. I was having an allergic reaction. I had rashes all over my back! I had to take Benadryl. I have stopped the AcipHex and will be calling the doctor on Monday. :(”

Cherryl0068 May 4, 2020

“So Far It Been Good To Me !!”

youcanletgo February 14, 2012

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “Amazing medicine! I've had GERD for 14 years. I've been on Aciphex for 10 years. No other medicine has ever come close to touching how effective this is for me. When my insurance stopped paying for it, I tried Prevacid. It did not help me at all. I had to try it for two weeks and if it failed to help, my insurance agreed to pay for Aciphex. That was the most miserable 2 weeks of my life. Constant burning reflux was all my days were filled with. I was so happy when I got to get back on Aciphex! I have no reflux symptoms whatsoever with it. If GERD is making your life miserable, give it a try!”

Anonymous April 3, 2008

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “Aciphex was a true dream come true for me. Ive suffered from savere reflux for 3 years now, because of a hiatel hernia, and this is the first and only thing that has completely stopped the reflux and pain!!!!”

KevinB2319 December 26, 2014

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have tried every over the counter and prescription medicine for GERD that I can think of. Aciphex is the only one that has ever worked for me. I have suffered from GERD and other Gastric issues for a long time and I suffer when I run out of this medication. I love to eat...so...this helps. ”

katosmus December 14, 2008

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have severe acid reflux and tried numerous medications - Tagamet, Nexium and many over the counter medicines. Aciphex is the only medication that has helped. I've taken it for 8 years with no side effects. ”

drsojo · Taken for 10 years or more October 2, 2013

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “Started years ago and got instant relief. Tried all other available meds with little results. Never had any side effects at all with Aciphex. My insurance doesn't like it, but I couldn't live without it.”

Thenomad · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2015

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “My insurance refuses to pay for it saying Prilsect is just as good. NOT!!!!! I take 2 a day (180 for 3 months) and it would cost me almost $700 a month. I get through Canada for $123 per 200, over 3 month vs. $2,000. Aciphex is not even comparable to any other, Zantac, all of them. Good luck to you.”

Anonymous February 23, 2012

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I've been taking Aciphex since 2001 and it has worked wonders on my GERD. Before I retired from active duty in 2003, one doctor switched me to another brand. Next thing you know I was in the hospital with extreme chest pain - all caused by GERD. I went back on the Aciphex and have been comfortable ever since.”

kate399874346 February 23, 2015

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have had GERD for years. I tried everything available and nothing helped until my doctor prescribed Aciphex. No more pain. It is the best thing on the market. I do not know why it is not over the counter. My insurance has tried to have my doctor switch me to a less expensive medicine, but they didn't work and I had to pay the higher copay for Aciphex. It is a God send. I do wish it was cheaper and over the counter.”

bosavi October 14, 2018

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “Taken since 2005, it was the only PPI that worked. 2018 started having side effects, tired, muscle aches, complications with cramps in back and other similar pains related to muscles. Stopped taking and problems disappeared. After 2 months of discomfort and GERD back again, I tried it again, after 3 days side effects returned. Time to change, too bad, it worked for 12 years.”

NANA · Taken for 10 years or more December 21, 2018

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I've had GERD for 20+ years. Tried all of the medications but seemed to build up resistance to them and they would no longer work after several months. ACIPHEX is the only one that worked consistently, however, insurance wouldn't pay for it. My doctor wrote several letters and finally got it approved. I am now on Medicare and it is not on an approved list where I can get it. It is truly a miracle drug and has worked for me consistently. I, too, don't know why there is not a generic form or why it is not more affordable. I would give this a 10 out of 10.”

Tamirblue July 7, 2010

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have had GERD and GERD like issues since the age of 12. I have been put on every medication available on the market only to have them stop working after a few short years. Finally, about 10-15 years ago I started taking Aciphex - no side effects, no resistance... no problems at all. My one and ONLY issue is the cost. I have tried every generic and over the counter (supposedly) "equivalent" with no success. ”

RavenMadigan March 14, 2015

“This was working for me for years as Aciphex. When the generic came out, it worked for a while. Now some days it doesn't work at all and other days it works for a while and then the heartburn comes on full force. Research shows one doesn't build up a resistance to this medicine, so I think the generic manufacturer is doing something different.”

pauley February 20, 2009

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I take AcipHex every morning to control my heartburn symptoms. After I eat breakfast, I get heartburn from the coffee and juice. I take AcipHex after breakfast and I always find it works really fast to make my heartburn go away. Even when I go to bed at night, I don't have heartburn. The other best thing is that it's a tiny pill, and it's so easy to swallow. Half the time I don't even have to have something to drink.”

Anonymous September 4, 2008

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I lived with severe heartburn for years. It was absolutely crippling at times. I had to essentially watch everything I ate and drank. Aciphex gave me my life back. I recommend looking into it as a possible treatment.”

GerdinWis · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2014

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “First had the extreme chest pain (like I imagine a heart attack would be) 10 years ago. Tried many different products with my gastroenterologist's help. Ended up with Aciphex. Of course, the insurance company tried to get me to use other stuff. ”

Cat Gee June 24, 2013

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I was first given this medication many years ago. I first got it through the military, then through my private insurance. Then, I put in for a refill and couldn't believe how much I was charged. It became non-formulary with the military pharmacy too, I just couldn't afford it. My doctor has tried different medications, but they don't help like they should. I keep checking to see if a generic comes available, so MAYBE it will be formulary somewhere.”

Anonymous August 1, 2011

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have taking Aciphex for about a year now and I can not live without it, forgot it on vacation and paid the price. Will not make that mistake again. I like many others have tried various prescription as well as over the counter medicines but nothing works as well as Aciphex.”

Anonymous March 7, 2009

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I have taken every medicine out there for my acid reflux and I am so grateful to have found aciphex works well. I still have bad days but I've tried to skip days without taking my aciphex and can tell a huge difference.”

SJP · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2020

“I have been taking rabeprazole 20mg daily for about 20 years. Occasionally I have had short periods of gastritis but they have not lasted very long. Fantastic for 20 years. However over the last 2 months the drug appears to have stopped working and no longer brings any relief. Back to the GP tomorrow.”

J.D. Garza May 23, 2008

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “Medicine appears to be working. On my second day, I have no heartburn. I am a little concerned about my headache that I have had all day today. I am hoping that this is but a small price to pay, if my esophagus will benefit from this medicine.”

Drw_T May 6, 2016

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I took Aciphex for the last year. It relieved the symptoms VERY well. However, it didn't heal any of my problems. I still have erosive esophagus, and I still have chronic gastritis. So on to the next...”

“M” December 9, 2017

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I am just on second day of starting generic Acifex and can not believe how great I feel. I have been in pain and diarrhea for a month due to taking multiple meds for a heart issue. Acifex has been a blessing!”

JLS_48 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 18, 2017

“Was on Aciphex PRN for 11 yrs. New insurance will not pay for it now even though they know I was on it for yrs prior. Now taking the generic, rabeprazole. I had to go through all the over the counter meds as well. Rabeprazole gave me some relief but not for long. Heaven forbid I miss one dose. It never relieves the symptoms fully. I would take Aciphex maybe 5-6 times a month will full relief. It's like a wonder drug. Without it, I'm back to propping the pillows up at night, stomach pain, diarrhea, belching, bloating, gas, vomiting; basically feeling miserable most days.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

“Switched from Protonix 40mg to Rabeprazole (generic) 20mg and my heartburn came STORMING back. Rabeprazole 20mg is supposed to be a dose equivalent to 40mg of other PPI’s. My doctor said it was stronger but not in my case.”

paulius67 November 28, 2008

Aciphex (rabeprazole): “I started taking AcipHex a while ago for GERD. It is working quite well. What interests me is that all of a sudden the plantar warts on my feet that I have struggled with for years are retreating rapidly, with no new sign of spreading. I have heard that Cimetidine (Tagamet) is sometimes prescribed for warts. ”