User Reviews for Quetiapine

Tourette's Syndrome

1 review 7 medications
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 7.3 1,353 reviews

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Depression: "I started this drug several years ago for chronic insomnia. At first, it was a God-send. I was sleeping for 6-7 hours, when before, I was sleeping for only 2. My sleep doctor suggested it after every other sleep medication had failed. However, I began battling severe depression a couple of years ago, but I did not connect the depression with the quetiapine. I was very religious about taking 50mg of quetiapine every night. However, I screwed up and ran out one weekend. So I braced myself for a night without sleep. But the next morning, I had no depression symptoms. I started cutting the pills in half, and have been sleeping, but not having the crippling depression symptoms. Amazing... I have been battling crippling depression all this time as a side-effect of the quetiapine due to my attempts to sleep at night. Quetiapine is a powerful drug, with the potential to change lives for the better, but proceed with extreme caution!"

DSR (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2019

For Insomnia: "I took 25 mg of Seroquel for 3 months for insomnia. I spent 2 months going to doctors trying to diagnose what was causing serious stomach and side pain. The entire right side of my body from my neck, back, abdomen, thigh and calf were so tight and sore. I couldn't exercise or walk due to the pain. I was very bloated, couldn't wear my jeans anymore. I had no idea what was going on, I spent over a thousand dollars on acupuncture with little to no benefit. Out of despair I quit taking the Seroquel to see if it could possible be causing all of these side effects and within 5 days of quitting the medication all of my pain and tightness disappeared. I can move, I can exercise- I can't sleep but hey, at least I'm not in pain. All of the bloating has gone down. Take with caution."

heasansj April 11, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Due to weight gain I tried other medications to help control manic thoughts at night and help me sleep. Nothing works. What I decided to do was actually up my dose with my doctor so that the effects of sleepiness would kick in before the hunger. I take 200mg Seroquel at night with a combination of 300 mg Wellbutrin XR for depression and 150 mg Lamictal for mood stabilizing during the day. I take 15 mg of BuSpar twice a day for anxiety. I got off all of these when I was pregnant and was complete basket case. This drug cocktail worked for 10 years and I spiralled when I went off of it. Since I’ve been back on my meds four months I’m completely normal again; functioning at a high-level. I run a very successful business and I know that I could not do it without these medications. I have virtually no side effects except for if I stay awake for too long after taking the Seroquel I will get on uncontrollable hunger. Seroquel does cause dry mouth in the middle of the night but it’s worth it"

Tk April 9, 2019

For Insomnia: "For a period of 4 years taken 25 mg of seroquel. No side effects. But it does make you want to eat. It’s was making me crave food. But I found a way to sleep right through the cravings. First I take 50mg of trazadone one hour before sleep time. Then AFTER the trazadone follow it with 25 mg of seroquel. Boom 7.5 hours of perfect sleep. I do dream every now an then. Not nightmares but dreams. No diabetes/ no RLS / no hair falling out/ no heart problems. Also no morning hangover . The trazadone causes more of a hangover than seroquel because of the longer half life . I hope this helps someone. Best of luck to you all ."

Rbhiggins (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed this medication for depression and GAD and when I decided to stop it the withdrawal was not easy. I tried to stop taking it cold turkey and I got an upset stomach and headaches like a bad case of the flu. I cut my pills in half (25mg daily) for a week and that solved my issues. The medication does help with depression, GAD and sleeping."

Auz2016 April 5, 2019

For Insomnia: "I take 50 mgs quetiapine at night for my insomnia and it is the only thing that consistently works. I don't have any side effects."

Patrick (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2019

For Insomnia: "I’m currently taking 50mg Seroquel for my anxiety. I take it nightly. I get a great night sleep. But most of all. I’m not freaking out during the day anymore like in the past when my anxiety has completely taken over me! I noticed a difference the very next day after my first dose. Before Seroquel I was worried about what I was going to say, couldn’t turn my mind off, feeling like a complete idiot because my anxiety had me over thinking every thing I’d say..( it showed). I looked unconfident. As a pretty woman, I shouldn’t feel like that. But it was completely out of my control. My anxiety ruled my life. Seroquel saved my life/sanity. I’m myself again. No more anxiety. It’s so liberating to be free from the chains that anxiety can have on you. It feels good."

ThaNkFuL (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Insomnia: "A horrific experience. I have never been prone to side effects until I took 50mg of quetiapine for insomnia. It made me drowsy, but unable to fall asleep which is the worst feeling. It was like I’d been drugged. It also caused the worst episode of restless leg syndrome I’d ever had. My nasal passages were swollen which caused me to breath through my mouth with the associated dry mouth and increased thirst. After enduring this torture all night, I finally got my normal fitful 2 hours after the pill started to wear off. On top of my normally exhausted state when I wake up, I also felt dizzy and drugged. Will never take this drug again. I believe the drowsiness that is associated with this medication comes from its antihistamine properties. So, if Benadryl (diphenhydramine) doesn’t work on you, avoid this medication at all costs because it won’t help."

Rick (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Warning: may trigger suicidal thoughts. History: I was prescribed Seroquel after multiple meds weren’t helping to improve my depression. Quickly, my depression got markedly worse to the point of me not being able to get out of bed and not bathing because they felt too exhausting. I also had my suicidal ideation and thoughts get overwhelmingly worse. My psychiatrist increased my dosage and it just got worse. I had to change psychiatrists (unrelated to this) and my new psychiatrist immediately had me taper down my dosage with the goal of getting off the Seroquel completely. Once I got off of it completely, I felt like a new person - no depression or suicidal thoughts since. I know this med has helped a lot of people and I am so happy it has. I don’t think many other people have had this experience, but wanted to put it out there that it wasn’t good for me and if anyone is having similar experiences, please speak with the person who prescribed it and know that it can get better."

Ahimsa March 30, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel has been a life-changer for me. It has curtailed my manic episodes and kept me sane as I struggle with bipolar I with paranoid features. I recently attempted to switch to Geodon due to weight gain, but I immediately switched back to Seroquel because the benefits outweigh the risks of some mild weight gain. I take 400mg daily: 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg in the evening. It helps me get a decent night’s sleep which is crucial for keeping me from slipping into bipolar episodes. I give it a 9/10 because the weight gain can be a moderate annoyance."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I love AND hate quetiapine. When taking it, one needs to be prepared to sleep for 8 hrs. I take it for more than sleep for which it helps. I do have to say this; if you want to wake earlier than 8 hrs, go to sleep EARLIER. This drug won't let you get any less than 8hrs. Not always convenient, I understand. If you fight it, you better be determined; this med is a tough adversary . Actually I know of worse. Have fun!"

Mine99 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2019

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar. Been on 175 mg Quetiapine for many years. Tried other antipsychotics they didn't work at all. Was sectioned 2016, was changed to 700 mg Quetiapine XR. Yes a very high dosage. My weight was 49 kg gained weight very fast to 67 kg, not happy at all, I have put myself on a diet (carbs are the problem with this medication) I have all the side effects that are on the leaflet that you get with the medication. I guess many of you know the side effects. Shortness of breath, Fatigue, Memory loss, Dizziness, Lightheaded, Vertigo, Tinnitus, Agitation, Itchy skin, Weak muscles, Aches & pains, Blurred vision, poor Judgement, Awful constipation, Restlessness, Hand & leg tremors, Evil Weight gain... On the plus side I am stable. Along with the Quetiapine XR, I am on a cocktail of medication. Lamotrigine, Promethazine, Valium, Procyclidine, Cyclizine. I have many side effects & other health issues. "

Mimzy March 26, 2019

For Insomnia: "Helped my insomnia for past 3 years, at 25 mg at bedtime, but now has less effect, and I don't want to up dose, I was wanting to know had anyone's hair thinned? Didn't know side effect!!"

GPORKY (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Abilify, Prozac and Lamictal did not work. Zoloft worked, but after a stop/start I had a manic episode. Former doctor suggested quetiapine to calm my thoughts and help me sleep. Was on 150mg of an extended release dosage, 200mg at the highest. While this helped some, I slept far too much. There also is the problem of weight gain, and after I stopped taking it, it took me a while to be able to fall asleep normally; this corrected itself after a week or two. However, my depression and anxiety resurfaced and I went to a generic dose of 150mg. This moves through my system faster, but I can still sleep for a long period of time. Today, I'm on 100mg of quetiapine at night and 100mg of bupropion during the day. I'm currently visiting a psychiatrist, who believes that the root of my depression/anxiety is sleep apnea. Currently being evaluated for that. Quetiapine works for me. Will correct my diet and hopefully I will lose some weight soon. :) God bless."

SnowyAshton March 24, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar type 2, and my psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel XR, starting me at 50 mg then bumping up to 150 mg. I noticed that both my severe mood swings and depression seemed to subside, as my weight increased. I only started to notice a significant increase in weight the second month I was on this drug. I work out six days a week, I have limited my sugar intake to almost zero, and my body is STILL storing fat. It's like I could eat an apple and my body would turn it directly into fat. It feels like the weight has appeared overnight. The weight gain is not worth it for me, especially since it seems like it could get much worse the longer seroquel is in my system. This drug was supposed to help my depression. Instead, I feel depressed again. Good luck to all who are either on this drug and struggling, or contemplating beginning this drug. Anything is worth a try, especially when suffering from a debilitating mental illness that impairs living a healthy, productive and happy life."

Leigh March 23, 2019

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I've been taking seroquel 100mg at night and wellbutrin 200mg in the morning for about a month for Borderline personality disorder. I was previously taking seroquel 50mg and wellbutrin 200mg but was still having problems. My mood is overall better. I have more energy and am more talkative and not as fearful. I don't read into things as much. When I do get upset, the reaction is much less severe. I still have some racing thoughts when triggered but the severity is less. I seem to forget things almost instantaneously at times though which makes conversation and focusing a bit difficult. My husband says things have going well with us for a while now. That's really something since that hasn't happened in our marriage ever before. What's helped also is learning CBT skills."

apple (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started on Seroquel in January 2013 after a hospitalization. My treating psychiatrist prescribed it after I discuss my challenges with ruminating thoughts, going back to my early youth. What a godsend this medication has been for me. No more thinking about the same thing, over and over and over again. Even though Seroquel is used off brand for rumination, it really has improved the overall quality of my life. So for those that suffer with ruminating thoughts, please know there is hope !!!"

ADee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2019

For Insomnia: "Quetiaipine for insomnia gives me the best sleep ever and I wake up fresh. 25mg every night for 20 years. "

Makpaz (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : "I have been on seroquel for 3mths started out on 150mgs. for anxiety and panic attacks which it isn't listed for. Within that 3mths my cholesterol which is already high raised over 24 more points. I gained 20 pounds within the 2 months. My arthritis which is already bad has gotten even worse. Most of the weight gain was water retention and bloating. It has not helped with my anxiety at all. It does help me sleep for a few hours but not the whole night. I reduced the dosage to 50 mg myself because of the side effects. And have since lost some of the weight. And am sleeping better. Maybe I was on too high of a dose. But all of the side effects that I have are side effects that this drug cause. It may work for some people but not for me. And for me the side effects are just too much. And I don't think that this med should be prescribed to people who have certain conditions. As soon as I can get my PCP to prescribe something that will help me sleep better I'm done with this poison."

Tammy Moulton March 1, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have taken 100mg seroquel for depression before (a few years back) and now I take 25mg quetiapine (generic) along with escitalopram 20mg for depression and intrusive thoughts. It helped with my intrusive thoughts, I didn't have to do my mental compulsions as much and reduced my feelings of guilt. Does make me wake up later than usual and also shakiness after taking it at night. I didn't gain weight on the medication, however I do keep up with exercise as usual."

Accuracy (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I’ve had many problems with the wrong medications making me more unstable including restlessness. My seroquel dose was raised very quickly to 250mg in hospital, then overmedicated after. But now after working with a doctor for a long time my doses are between 75-125mg and have been life saving to calm me down and help me sleep and think clear after having very bad insomnia caused by anxiety. Ignorant doctors call this a sleep dose but it has many mood stabilizing benefits for people sensitive to medications. I also take with lamictal in morning and Gabapentin at night Klonopin as needed has been life saving."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2019

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have been taking 100mg quetiapine 3 times daily with 150mg lamictal and hydroxine. The quetiapine doesn't make me tired but I also do not wake up all through the night. I do see myself rather anxious throughout the day."

Dally D (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2019

For Insomnia: "Seroqouel is a miracle sleep aid at 25 Mg. My psychiatrist started trying it with me when I developed severe insomnia and lunesta ambien trazadone and resterol wouldn’t help. I had to fly ny- Shanghai frequently after that and I would take one seroquel in JFK and before I knew it I was in Shanghai! Amazing!"

Krissy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2019

For Insomnia: "Never again, two days I was sleeping fine on 25mg but the third day I had night terrors, I was paranoid all day, and I was feeling awful, I couldn’t eat, I had pressure in my head, I was anxious, nervous, depressed, scared of life, my memories didn’t exist anymore, I was so tired that I couldn’t function till 7pm. I don’t recommend it for insomnia. "

slovenian (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Works a bit for bipolar at first but now my symptoms are back at full speed. My problem with this med is that it gives me insomnia if I take more than 100 mg. It helps me sleep at lower dosages but doesn't help with the depression part of my mood swings. Also, when I first started taking this, I couldn't wake up in the mornings at all. My boyfriend would poke me to see if I was still alive. It still makes me very groggy in the mornings and is the reason I started drinking caffeinated tea before I could function every morning. My cousin takes it for bipolar and he takes 500 mg! but he never sleeps or sleeps or sleeps all the time on this med. This brings me to believe that this medication is very risky for anyone who is a sensitive sleeper. I plan to tapper off and switch to a bipolar med that doesn't impact sleep and that helps the depression more than the manic episodes."

kt (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2019