User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 19 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 1012 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Quetiapine

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have gave quitiapine 5 stars as it definitely allows me to sleep right through the night. But I have been on it for 15 years and still experience dreadful side effects. I have reduced from taking 800mg in the morning to 300mg in the morning yet in the evening and the morning I can barely function and am tired and groggy all day. I have tried to take it earlier and earlier in the evening in the hope of having less side effects in the morning but nothing works. Plus it gives me the appetite of a racehorse. I also have nasty withdrawal symptoms whenever I try to taper off completely. For me this drug is a necessary evil and I really wish I didn't have to take it."

Jam jar (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "At one point, I was on regular seroquel as needed and seroquel XR daily. During this time, I gained a lot of weight that I just could not take off. I was prescribed the seroquel as needed, 25 mgs up to 3 times a day. Later on, I was going through something else and seroquel had just gone generic. My psychiatrist put me back on the 25 mg pill as needed. I rarely used it and this time I didn't gain any weight from it, which I was relieved about. I know they say that the lower doses are supposed to make you really tired, but that didn't seem to have any effect on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I was on this medication for around 3 years at different doses, anywhere from 50 mgs to 600 mgs. It was a very good medicine and helped a lot with my anxiety and depression and really calmed me down and was very helpful, but the weight gain was a killer. I would try to go off over and over and would have to keep going back to it because I would be in such bad shape without it. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I became pre-diabetic while on it. I finally was able to go off and stay off at one point. It's a great drug, but the side effects are horrible as far as weight gain."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Spent 6 years in the Marine (Iraq 2007) and 7 plus years as a Narcotics agent with law enforcement. I take 25-50 mg at night and I sleep like a baby now. Before, I would sleep approximately 2 hours a night. This pill has helped me and my family life is better now. Definitely recommend for PTSD."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I take quetiapine for my insomnia, within the first 30 mins of taking it my body starts to tingle like a warning that I'm about to sleep. I climb into bed get really groggy and sleep. The next day is always horrible after taking the pill. I'm tired all day, it's hard to wake up for school. I don't want to do anything but sleep. I recommend you take this pill when you know you don't have to wake up too early."

Yoyo12345 May 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am on diazepam for nearly 10 years to treat on my insomnia and recently got told I had to stop it, the withdrawal symptoms of benzo is not joke!! I suffer severe anxiety, panic, fear and feeling very depressed during benzo tapering process. As usual insomnia remains as my major issue while still having to deal with withdrawal from benzo. My psychiatrist prescribed me with quetiapine 25mg (not a high dose) together with benzo (benzo have been decreasing as I am on tapering process) I am amazed on how this drug helps! After around 45min of taking 25mg of quetiapine together with 4mg of diazepam. I am managed to sleep through out a solid 9 hours!! It's But the side effect for me is having migraine when I awake, but worth it compare to insomnia!"

Geok57 May 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and Generalized anxiety disorder in a residential treatment center. I was dependent on 4mg of klonopin a day, and when I started to taper off the panic attacks and lack of sleep was so UNREAL. My doctor put me on seroquel 25mg twice a day and 50mg at night time. It makes me really tired so it helps me sleep. I used to wake up groggy, but not anymore. overall, great medication. I'm now on 50mg a day as needed, and 50mg at nighttime. Seroquel REALLY helps my panic attacks. The dose I'm at doesn't make me as tired as it used to. I'm on remeron at night time so the two really knock me out. Overall, great medication. Only side effects: bad dry mouth, sleepiness"

hahaha6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Ambfly made me gain 100lbs in 8mos. I got off of it and started to loose 5lbs a night. My bad episodes got worse. I wish. I had the right information about this drug. If had known about the drug beforehand I would never have taken it"

Suzzie Lu May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was prescribed Seroquel when I had just recently been put on Buspar for anxiety and was not feeling beneficial effects yet. It was a break glass in case of emergency medication for me. Thankfully, the Buspar did not take too long to kick in and I only had to take a few of the Seroquel. It has been a few years since then and I still had the mostly full bottle with me. My new doctor decided to stop refilling my Trazodone for 4 months and so I started taking Seroquel again at night to help me sleep. It did help me sleep and did wonders for my anxiety and occasional racing thoughts, however over the course of a month, I managed to gain 40 lbs. I have since run out and am happily taking Trazodone again, but I have not lost any of this weight. I was not terribly excited about my weight before and now I'm nearing 200 lbs, which is not a healthy weight for me."

stephthepanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "So vivid in detail, from some, but, give this medication time. This drug had me feeling some wacked out, like on a boat sensation. Just light headed and motion sickness. I was told "six weeks" so instead of stopping it, which I dearly wanted to - I didn't. And to this day approx four years I thank myself, I didn't.. yes its heavy handed. But now I have nearly no racing thoughts, which drove me to suicidal tendancies, my mind never stopped it was like a TV on in the back ground. Next, sleep, sleep, peaceful sleep, I did crave sugar BUT NO WEIGHT GAIN. This drug is just broadly so good. This drug and a couple others balanced me. The racing thoughts Seroquel number one, but Ritalin was also something I am grateful for."

Willow Breeze April 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "In my experience Quitapine is most effective for regulating sleep. 25mg a day before bed is all you need, anymore seems far too much and can make you very sedated and a very constant sluggish and lazy feeling throughout the whole day. I've had real problems with not sleeping and this stuff knocks me out for the best nights sleep. I'm not sure how or if it truly helps with intense mood changes, depression or rebalancing serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain, what it's designed to do, because I still have issues with stability and mood changes etc but it definitely helps with regulating sleep and that in itself plays a huge beneficial part on my mental health. Quitapine is the best so far, I've tried 8 different medications for Bpd."

Mr L SHAW April 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was just put on this medication.. my friends , family and myself noticed a difference.. I am on 25mgs 2 x a day and 100mg at night.. helps me big time .. it helps me big time.. I don't have the heart.beating out of my chest feelings"

Yodagirl April 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I am currently on 25mg taken 2 hours before bed for insomnia. I have found it to be very sedating and sleep for the entire night. On the first night, around the 2 hour mark after taking, I was not able to function properly. Cleaning my teeth and preparing my clothes for the morning was a big effort. Light headedness and dizzy. I have noticed others have had intense dreams/nightmares while on this medication and I did too. The following day, I feel lethargic and drained despite a full night sleep. I have rated it a 7 because it certainly works to relieve my insomnia, but the cluster of side effects are frustrating. I would recommend trying it for the first time when you have the following days free and are not working and adjusting."

Cherry_cola April 23, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I struggled with finding the right medication to help treat my bipolar disorder. Olanzapine basically turned me into Sleeping Beauty. I take 200mg of Seroquel, three times a day. Keeps me nice and level"

Niloufar53 (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am bipolar 1, and take 400mg per day of quetiapine XR. I take this in combination with 200mg of lamotrigine. This combination is highly effective. The XR version of quetiapine is far superior to the immediate release version. Side effects are lessened with XR. There is some weight gain I am experiencing however I am controling, and even losing the weight, with a strict diet and daily, strenuous exercise with weights. If you do not exercise and eat right on this medication there is a strong chance there will be very noticeable weight gain. That said, quetiapine XR is highly effective at stopping acute mania (in larger doses), and maintaining a baseline mood at my current dosage. I recommend trying this medication for controlling mania"

FrankieCasual (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I've been on quetiapine for years for bipolar. I started having really. Bad problems with sleeping. They upped my dose a few times, now I'm on 600 mg and still having trouble getting asleep. I've been on so many pills for sleep and nothing has worked, I'm running out of choices, getting really irritated, I need sleep"

Missylee1970 (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "So relieved to have found this. I've been suffering with inconsistent sleep/insomnia for months because of severe anxiety. I've been on Prozac for six weeks which is also known to worsen/induce insomnia in early stages. Tried benzos like Diazepam, which of course were helping, but obviously was only prescribed them for a couple of days at a time due to addictive properties. Doctor suggested Seroquel at a low dose (25mg) at night for sleep and it worked wonders immediately. Within a week I have found that I now need 50-75mg for adequate sleep though, but the doctor is fine with me using up to 100mg for sleep, particularly as I'm not using it during the day. No nasty side effects but has made my appetite return with a vengeance!"

Heidi90 April 18, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take quetiapine and sertraline, I was taking 200mg Sertraline and 200mg Quetiapine but the weight gain was insane. So cut down to 50mg Q at Christmas and 100mg S. I've recently been very ill with noro virus and had the worst return of symptoms. Suicidal, anxious, racing thoughts and a new one, OCD. So I increased the Quetiapine again to 100mg (made up of 25mg tablets) and I've had what I can only describe as increase effects. Does that even exist? Cold feelings from flight or flight anxiety and agitated feelings."

Gemmimah April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "UK- My Psychiatrist diagnosed Bipolar coming from BPD. So was already on 200mg per day. He wanted me to increase the dose for it to have any impact on mood. 200mg is nothing for a Bipolar illness. Took a 300mg 9pm and woke up at 5 pm the next day!! Seeing as I work I doubt this will be the drug for me especially as I am going up to 600mg."

Anonymous April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I've used seroquel for 15 years for insomnia. I wasn't able to use Ambien because I would sleep walk. The only thing that I don't like about seroquel is that I "sleep eat". I will not remember that I have done so until I see a drop of jam and bread crumbs on the kitchen counter. So, I've gained a bit of weight, unfortunately, even though I'm quite active."

Freyja Mojen April 13, 2017