User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 17 reviews 46 medications

5.3
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 879 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I'm a Desert Shield/Desert Storm vet who went through a lot of stuff. Plus, during peacetime I was taken hostage in South America and faced execution. Like a lot of vets, I self-medicated with alcohol. I had done this for many years. One year I went to the VA hospital near me and spoke with a Dr. about the issues I was having. She said I most likely had PTSD. I went through the whole process with the VA to get benefits and they finally saw this as a disability. I was put on an antidepressant, mood stabilizer, prazosin (for nightmares), Xanax (for anxiety), quetiapine 200Mg (for restlessness and hypervigilance).I also take 30Mg of Oxycodone a day for pain related to an injury while in the military.Quetiapine works;be careful with other drugs"

Kitchenfish September 24, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Been on it for 5 year started on 50mg now on 300mg as duloxetine 60mg and even tho its helped with swinges in still feel it all trapped behind a locked door and i know its the medication holding it back and every time it breaks through i end up on higher and higher doses"

Pauldutch (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "This drug was pushed for off-label uses that the FDA did not approve. Google seroquel for more details including legal repercussions faced by the pharmaceutical company. The drug also has severe side effects and so, should be weighed against the pros and cons of other (possibly more) appropriate drugs. Due to this Seroquel, I became allergic to the sun, also known as a photoallergic eruption. Seroquel was prescribed to me for insomnia and not only was I in extreme pain for months due to burning of the skin, itchiness, and more, but I went on to develop the worst insomnia of my life that left me debilitated and suicidal."

Anonymous September 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "I took this back when I was 15 and it was perfect for my terrible anxiety and insomnia, 25mg knocked me out completely and put me to sleep. I've been on melatonin for the last few years as quetiapine made me too drowsy the next day, but recently I have been back on quetiapine as I have been finding my anxiety keeping me up at night. I've put myself back on a 12.5-25mg dose and it's worked Wonders. It feels euphoric, and puts me to sleep like a charm. Downsides: I've been feeling so out of it during the day, drowsy, harder to wake, plus I've had a few headaches and stomach upsets. Also scared I'm going to gain weight as that is commonly reported? As far as doing its job as a sleeping pill though, it's incredible."

Anonymous September 18, 2016

For Insomnia: "Ive been taking 200 mg for about 11 years now and it makes me sleep for ages. I can wake up with an alarm when I need to get stuff done but it makes me super laggy."

Brillany September 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on and off Seroquel generic instant release for years. Doses anywhere from 25 mg to 300 mg. It works for me absolutely. Have tried Zyprexa, Geodon, Risperdal, Latuda and Saphris. Always back to Seroquel though. Calms racing thoughts, squashes anxiety with the hammer of Thor, sleep like a stone. No weight gain for me, worst side effect is headache for me. Great med, recommend it for BPD. Bipolar, Anxiety or Panic and Insomnia."

CastielMinion (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "All my life, a typical night would start with 1 to 2 hours laying in bed before falling asleep, and then waking several times with trouble getting back to sleep. My bedroom has light blocking curtains plus a white noise machine, but I still had trouble getting more than five hours of sleep. My Doctor has prescribed Ambien CR, Rozerem, Sonata, Restoril and Trazadone. I have tried Benadryl and Melatonin/Valerian pills but nothing worked well or long term until I tried Quetiapine. I take 50mg 30 minutes before bedtime and I sleep a good 6 to 8 hours daily! I have more vivid dreams but no nightmares, and 3 years with no loss of effectiveness and no weight gain! A good dose of morning caffeine and I have no lingering grogginess either!"

hscolnik (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking seroquel 200mg for years...I am bi polar but I'm manic I don't get depressed. Anyway Doc increased the dose to 400 mg..ok I have anxiety and panic attacks..I also take.buspirone 30mg twice a day...I can't sleep...and when I do its only a couple of hours..I also gained weight and have a little twitch and my hands shake...What do I do..Doctors don't listen to what you say...and put you on a bunch of crap..thanks for listening any impute is welcome"

Kathleengist September 16, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Little side effects. All I got was weight gain, dry mouth, and I slept an awful lot. It did nothing for my psychosis, despite being on 750mg. At 600mg it started to help a little with my mood, but the change wasn't consistent."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am into week 2 of taking Seroquel for Bipolar disorder. The main side effects that I am noticing are the feeling about 20 minutes after taking it (makes me feel the same way Trazadone did when I took it for insomnia), and the cloudiness the next day. I have had several situations where something will come up, and I'll recall a conversation or physical activity that I truly think happened, but I cannot determine if I dreamed it or if it really happened. But, I am already noticing a major difference in the way I feel and am able to concentrate and interact while at work, and even with family (in a good way). Since it's only been 2 weeks, of course I am going to give it a little more time."

Chell GH September 13, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Seroquel XR 25mg (once before bed) for about 6 months now and my life has completely changed for the better. Yeah, the weight gain is a pain but its a small price to pay for normality. Social anxiety / severe insomnia has not been an issue for months!! Am finally myself again. Have tried other antipsychotics but nothing works as well as this one. Only downside is an insatiable appetite - but you can minimize weight gain by substituting with fruits etc, which is what Im currently doing."

vanillacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "After being on this medication for several months, I finally reached a dosage (600mg) that helped. I needed this to calm down my manic state. This being said, I gained close to 20lbs. As a 18 year old girl, this affected my confidence greatly. I was on a vegan diet for 7 months prior to being on this medication, and stayed on the diet while taking it. My weight was stable around 125 for all those months, however upon starting I went up to 145. Not to mention how absolutely exhausted this medication made me. I highly suggest trying to find another medication."

st3619 September 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Quetiapine's great but definitely take it at night otherwise it can cause a twilight type of drowsiness over the day."

psychr (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "1200mg xr per day worked and stopped my mental process enough to pave the road to recovery. I developed arthritis in both hands and the most savage ADDICTION ever known to man i was now facing. I have now stopped compleatly and all the words and reviews can never prepare you for such an experience. I took the cold turky approach and 3 months of violent withdrawls i have stayed clear. I WOULD RECOMMEND OTHER TREATMENTS BEFORE THIS AS A LAST RESORT. It saved my life but at what cost. I still have mental health issues amd arthritis but i quickly get on with my day when i realise i could be back taking them."

Dave's truth.. (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I took just 25mg and I felt awful -stomach, pain, headache and weaknesses. I had problem with falling a sleep and when I did I had nightmares. In the morning couldn't get up, spend all my day in bed with muscles pain and headache. But the worse was feeling irritated and restless, I felt really down and depressed I even had the thoughts of hurting myself...shame because I had a lot of hopes with it:-(. This meds is not for me..."

Lu125 September 8, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "I was prescribed Seroquel for PTSD. Never again. 25 mg, I had the worst panic attack if my life, I could barely walk, but I was so scared I kept trying to run around. It was horrible. I went absolutely crazy then passed out hard. Not my kind of medication. My mother inlaw takes 250 mg a day for schizophrenia, she has for six months now, so far it is not helping her delusions, hallucinations, paranoia. She was told to take it at supper time and seemed drunk and sedated all evening. She now takes it at bed time but it is not helping her. :("

Meghan1987bezanso September 4, 2016

For Insomnia: "Years ago I had clinical depression which I over cane with horrible anti deppresants and cognitive thoght therapy the only thing I now take is 25mg quiet a pine to conquer Iinsomnia it works great even if I take it at midnight I can get up at 6.30am with no lag. I've been taking it for about 5 years now no weight gain I actually lost 10 kgs tin the past year. I stopped for six months or more but was only sleeping a few hours a night with out it"

Dougbulldig August 31, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Excellent even at 12.5 dose,--need to split a 25mg tab in half, which is nearly impossible with some generics. I wish they'd make a lower dose. Have never taken a stronger dose for fear of over-sedation, though I get accustomed to the low dose quickly. A godsend. I highly recommend it."

jonnyboyfrom boston August 31, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: " Caused depression and negative, self defeating thoughts early on. They just got worse and worse until finally it peaked in major anxiety and panic attacks so bad I could barley speak. Then I had to step down from the drug slowly due to the well documented withdrawal problems. So more time feeling god awful and wasted time out of my life. In my opinion, avoid this med if you can. It's a serious drug."

JT111 August 25, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I felt more emotionally stable on this, meaning when I would have usually gotten to a certain point, the medication stopped it before it could escalate. For the first few months I was thankful for not completely crashing and burning every couple of weeks (I was in a particularly stressful situation in the period of time I was taking this so my hopelessness was exasperated), significant reduction in hallucinations and paranoid delusions, not being able to cry, sleeping consistently and having no memory of my dreams. The reasons as to why I stopped taking it were degenerated eyesight (my eyesight had been perfect prior to meds), severely effected long and short term memory and zero motivation in all areas of life. I didn't feel like myself."

ConcaveEarth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication will make you gain weight easily it may make you easily agitated as well. In my expirence this should not be offered to treat anxiety."

Sweetgirlmeg (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I'm a Dutch veteran, I've been to Lebanon in '82/'83 and this year after a violent attack in my house, everything was changed and I had aggressive outbursts. After the police came the psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with PTSS. Now I'm using 75/100 quetiapine and it really makes a difference. Instead of almost no sleep, I'm sleaping now 4 to 6 hours a night. I'm a little bith sheaky the few hours in the morning but I can control my moods and thoughts much better now."

Dutch Robert (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This med is pretty wonderful for my bipolar mania and my bipolar depression. Only set back is the sedation, but at the same time I've always struggled with anciety, so this side effect is okay with me as it helps the anxiety. Really saved my life."

AngelBunny0316 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016