User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 21 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 1070 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed 25 mg to be taken as needed for anxiety. The first time I took it I only took half a pill as suggested by my doctor, this knocked me out. I switched to 1/4 tablet and take it as needed before bed. I have taken the medication like this for 6+ years now and have had no problems, I have seen a significant decrease in my anxiety, and have elevated mood or affect the day after taking it, with the only side effect being grogginess. I was taking Klonopin before this but hated how addictive it was. I have intermittent severe anxiety with paranoia and occasional auditory hallucinations, mania, and depression all of which is helped by even the super low dose of Seroquel."

thewalrus September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Six months without a bipolar cycle. I want to socialize again, date, have friends around, and I'm always in a decent mood. Amazing medicine. I take 300 mg of quetiapine with 1200 mg lithium and 200 mg lamictal. My cocktail works!"

Scw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was shot in the neck four years ago, I have Ptsd, depression, anxiety depression with psychosis I have panic attacks to where I don't sleep at all sometimes like 2 days so they prescribe Seroquel to for me and I took it and I had the craziest scariest dream ever in my life I gained like 20 pounds within a two-week. I didn't want to do anything but slept all the time. The medicine just does agree with me so I have to stop taking it - but it's nice to know that is helping others God bless! So I'm still trying to find a peaceful life hopefully I will soon my team of doctors is on it. ....awesome that it works for some, just not me"

Broken trying to get fixed (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take .25 or .5 of seroquel for sleep, but I am on several others meds, so it's hard to pinpoint the exact one that's causing sleep or if it's some combination. My understanding is that at low does, such as 100mg and under, the drug acts only like an antihistamine, benadryl for example, and so the sleepiness effect at those low does should be the same, and I think this is true. I also have restless legs syndrome, very much exacerbated by either seroquel or benadyl - but, Gabapentin to the rescue - 300 mg of Gabapentin and the pain is totally gone - poof."

Gulielmus (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2017

For Insomnia: "Good"

amin894 September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I try to avoid going on these forums because they always give me anxiety about the new medication I am trying out. I have let this forum make me think that side affects were happening to me that really weren't in the past. Seroquel is amazing. I have Bi Polar and Seroquel was not out when I was first diagnosed. I started on it May of 2016 and I have had to increase my dose 100mg since then and it has changed my life. Seroquel has given me the ability to start to live my life more the way I want to live it. I wanted to post that here to not discourage someone who is starting out on it. My psychiatrist heard about this from one of the top Bi Polar doctors in the world speak at Harvard. This drug is wonderful and so helpful."

BiPolarEarlyTwentiesGirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "Wow this medication.. it may have knocked me out many times (put me to sleep).. Hell it may have had made me sleepy 24/7, I would sleep sometimes 18 hours a day I spent a lot of time recovering with this medication.. sleeping. But I can't complain because well.. I have my life back. And I thank all those people who put their time and effort in producing this medication because without them, who knows where I'd be.. right now I'm back in college off of this medication but still on abilify. This drug may not be the cure to schizophrenia.. but it does wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "My doctor prescribed this for depression. Mood- wise, it helped and I also slept like a rock. BUT In a matter of 8 months I managed to gain 25 lbs... which my doctor did NOT tell me was a huge side effect. I stopped taking the medication and now I cannot sleep at all. I have been off of it for three weeks and still no luck."

Jenn8894 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have had a great experience with seroquel. I have always had trouble falling asleep and getting fixated on noises and thoughts. I have been on 5mg melatonin for years and had been taking Benadryl. I asked my doctor to try seroquel. The first night I took 25mg and slept sooo good but was in a daze and foggy the next day. So I split it and took 12.5mg ever since and it has been life changing. I take it an hour before bedtime and still take the melatonin as well. I don't have any side effects and sleep wonderfully."

Insomnianomore (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been prescribed 25mg seroquel to replace the Valium I take as when required for anxiety & panic attacks. STRONG WARNING IF U HAVE YOUNG KIDS. Don't take it for the first time if U R the ONLY parent around at the time. I wasn't warned by my Psychaitrist & luckily my partner was home when I decided to take it as it completely wiped me out. I passed out within 40 mins of taking it & didn't wake up for 14 hours. I woke up feeling like a zombie. Coffee helped a little. I've taken it 3 times so far. Maybe/hopefully the tingling feeling after taking it & then passing out will subside over time. Otherwise yes, it does help subside anxiety. I'm just not sure if that's because its forced me to sleep & then I'm brain fogged. Will update later."

PatchRight (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was initially prescribed Quetiapine for bipolar / insomnia in addition to the Depakote I was already taking. I was to start at 50 MG and gradually build up to 200 MG, but the first night taking it at 50 MG completely knocked me out for the night and the following day. The effects felt a little less strong the following day, but I didn't feel I could go up to 100 MG, so I called my doctors office and they suggested I go down to 25 MG. Which has worked wonderfully for sleep and I've been doing that for the last month. I sleep through the night now, but only feel groggy in the AM the following day and not the entire day. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night after sleeping 5 hours or less for so long is a huge improvement."

FinallyGotToSleep (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "All you need is 25mg and only taken 1/2 before bed is all you need."

SQ guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "After having been tried on every sleep med for insomnia (benzodiazepines, non-benzodiazepines, Belsomra and a few antidepressants), I asked my Dr if I could try Seroquel (quetiapine) having taken it about 15 years ago. I've had insomnia for years and years. About 20 years ago I was put on Seroquel 50 mg and it helped a lot. It worked again for me, however I was on 400mg for at least 6 months. I hadn't had more than 2-3 hours of sleep for years and immediately slept through the night. I am currently taking 200mg and hope to decrease that amount as I've gained 40 pounds over the past two years and exercising and dieting have not helped. Lose weight but go back to insomnia, sleep well but remain overweight. I love/hate Seroquel!"

MissieRae August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "If you have a mixed diagnostic, bipolar I or II, with traces of schizophrenia, seroquel acts as a good 'sidekick' to medications such as risperdal and zyprexa and abilify."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on this medication for 8+ years. Different psychiatrists tried many various antidepressant meds but nothing worked. I finally found an excellent psychiatrist who specializes on psychotropic meds. He diagnosed me as Bi-polar II~ He prescribed Celexa, a small dose of Xanax.5 and Seroquel. The addition of the Seroquel was what literally saved my life. About 2 years after my husband died I was without insurance. I didn't have my meds and was suicidal. At the last moment I checked myself into the mental unit. I'd be dead if I hadn't done that. I finally got insurance and am on my meds again. I feel better than I have in years. If your doctor prescribes this give it a few weeks. I know I need meds the rest of my life. Good luck~"

Nondell (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was prescribed 800 seroquel for my therapeutic dosage. Many years later, I decided with my pdoc to try 600. I felt more balanced, more centered and attuned - with the same effectiveness of the med. Later, while in a combination of other meds, I took the courage to play around with 300/400 mgs. of XR, and, to my surprise, I still got a precise dosage - no racing thoughts, sound sleep, no anxiety, much attenuated paranoia, and an awesome anti-depressant effect with half of the original 800."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I take 300 mg daily, 200mg of that being at night, and it actually keeps me awake and gives me restless legs. Side note I also take 150mg Zoloft in the am. Both for BPD and bipolar. Maybe my moods are.a bit more stable but compulsions seem the same."

Kimmie79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been taking Seroquel XR 800mg for almost 11 years. Before this I was taking low dose regular Seroquel for many years. It really helps me manage my schizoaffective disorder. I am also taking a doctors prescribed antihistamine hydroxyzine 50mg because I get hives while on seroquel XR. I have noticed male breast growth and hard glandular breast tissue build up under my breast during this year. I am also experincing breast pain. I am on a calorie restricted diet and have been exercising and lifting weights regularly for the past 10 years and have gained 5lbs to 10lbs in weight. I have low body fat and can do 70 push ups in a row easily so its not body fat."

Johnson Zen August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "It helps stabilize my moods and has helped with my insomnia. However, I have started to have experiences of sleep paralysis that are quite terrifying."

Snk88602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel was prescribed for sleep disorder and it works just fine without any hangover the next morning"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I've had difficult sleeping for the last 7 years, I take my dose at bed time. I'm relaxed and I fall asleep relaxed. I'm bipolar but only use it for sleep."

Lisamidnight (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered severe Clinical depression for 8 months. A combination of Quetiapine and Venlafaxine succeeded where Antidepressants alone failed. I found Quetiapine useful for Anxiety."

Ian Beach (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It takes 3 hours to kick in which it is a 50/50 chance it won't, I might fall asleep for 2 hours. But I always wake up and will never be able to fall asleep again. On 25mg tablets so unless you get really high ones, don't even bother."

Stormer969 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017