User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 19 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 938 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. I have had symptoms of this for years not knowing what was wrong with me. I would go a few years with no issues cause I was drinking very heavily ( 1- 2 cases of beer a night) I have tried SSRI's as they would not work with the depression and anxiety. I recently was switched from zyprexa to quetiapine 100 mg (will be increased to 200mg in 2 days.) It has been 3 days and I have already noticed a complete difference. My thoughts seem a lot more stable, I'm not as paranoid, I found my anxiety has lessoned (I was having 4 -6 panic attacks at work a day) and I just feel more stable now. I am very grateful as to I was so desperate for help."

Lee.M January 16, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder: "A friend gave me Quetiapine to help me sleep and for depression. I've also had it prescribed, & bought it without prescriptions. Never had withdrawal symptoms even if I quit cold turkey. I take one 300 mg before bed, without this drug I wouldn't be able to sleep at all due to chronic nerve pain the past 30 years. I don't mind the dreams but have the indigestion. Hopefully my body will adjust so it won't be too bad, don't think it's affecting my weight- I have a great metabolism, thankfully and a built in reminder not to eat too much....my asthma acts up if I start to gain any extra weight. For now I'm taking it on my own but a new doctor will probably prescribe it because of my extreme insomnia and MDD. So far so good, it works well for me."

GhostofaGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I tried this medication to help with PTSD symptoms. This medication works great for me. The main reason why I took it is for rage and dissociation/disconnection from reality, although mainly for major aggression and rage. Unfortunately I had to stop taking it shortly after starting because I feel unsafe on it. I get extremely drowsy and it almost knocks me out although that's not that big of a deal it fades off after 2 hours or so, the main reason is my blood pressure skyrockets, I feel like the room starts spinning and I get dizzy, my face goes numb and I feel tingly and more numb everywhere generally and I get these like jolts inside my body while I try to sleep. When I try to sleep it feels like I'm getting zapped with electricity."

Monroe27 January 9, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My experience with this drug has been generally positive. It does tone down my hypomania, and is amazing at helping me sleep (it used to take me up to 3.5 hours lying in the dark to fall asleep...now it's closer to between 1-2 hours). However, it does give some weird side effects. It gives me intensely vivid dreams. I normally dream very little, but this gives me very strange dreams every night that I can very clearly remember on waking up. These dreams even frequently (3/4 times a week) cause me to wake up in the middle of the night! Would not recommend if you already have frequent nightmares or night terrors, as seroquel may make those much worse. Ineffective for depression."

Audrey K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this for about 8 months so far. I take 300mg at bed time. It helps with sleep, but I do feel a bit tired during the day. This has really reduced my mania. I used to argue with people until I was literally foaming at the mouth, but now I lose interest in arguments within 5 or 10 minutes. Twitter and news used to upset me and I'd get ampted up about stories, but that's gone away mostly. Now I can react to things that used to make me furious with a laugh or just a short discussion with someone. Seroquel's not perfect, but the weirdness and intensity I used to experience has gone. It also helps greatly with my IBSd. I haven't had any weight gain, but my diet is low-fat and limited. Seroquel is MUCH better than TCAs btw. Good luck!"

theskysnotabove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Currently taking 50mg of Seroquel a day. I also want to say that I'm taking 200mg of Zoloft regularly as well as 1mg of Ativan on really bad days. The reason I was prescribed Seroquel ontop of my other meds is mainly because I struggle with extreme rage, disconnection from reality, hypervigilence and paranoia, jumpiness to sounds, etc. A psychiatrist and family doctor both suggested Seroquel for rage, in order to calm down a bit so I'm not going off destroying walls and throwing dehumidifiers, etc. anymore. It works quite well actually.. although the only problem is that it makes me insanely drowsy, I took it for the first time today then passed out for a few hours. Overall good for uncontrollable rage when you get the right dose."

CMan27 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I can honestly that quetipine has saved my life. I take between 25mg during the day and 50mg at night. Anxiety is a wearing experience, like a caterpillar gnawing away at your well-being in an endless cycle. I have been on it about 7 years now and I was prescribed it by a one-time visit to a psychiatrist at the surgery. The winter months with the dark nights here in the UK can be unremitting, but this little pill does so much and is not addictive.. If you're in doubt, go for it... although all drugs work differently for everyone."

mutley7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2017

For Insomnia: "I struggled for years with not only insomnia, but waking up several times thru the night when I would fall asleep (usually anywhere ftom 2-3 hours after going to bed and laying there with everything from bills to elementry school friends and worrying about my son). Many many times I would dose off then after sleeping an hour or so, wake up wide eyed and bushy tailed as if I had gotten a full 8 hours of sleep. I would do this several times a night then fall into a deep REM sleep right before the alarm went off. This action made me extremely tired, cranky, and totally unmotivated the whole next day. My Dr finally has me on a good combo and I sleep. 250 mg's of seriquel and 300 mg's of trazodone. And if needed...vistril."

angelpatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Hi all! I'm diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar type 1. After my most recent manic episode I crashed into the worst depression and extreme anxiety I've ever experienced. I was tried on the usual antipsychotics and had dangerous side effects from all of them except Seroquel. For years and years I've had extreme insomnia. I was started on Seroquel (300mg) for sleep about 6 months and it was immediately effective. I love being able to sleep, but I'm sleeping 10 hours. I'd like to try to cut back a little and see if I can get to 8-9 hrs/night. My psychiatrist tells me I'm not just taking it for sleep, but for the bipolar itself. I'm still not back to my usual self due to lack of interest in anything. Hopefully I'll soon be better!"

MissieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was scared to death to take this medication after four years tapering off of ssri's and benzos but I struggled for four months on two hours or less of sleep each night and finally broke down because my health was failing from the stress of ongoing insomnia. I use 50mg right before bed and I sleep six to eight hours. I have horrible nightmares but I had them even when on no medication. I have daytime side effects of weakness and slight dizziness. I also feel less anxiety but I feel sort of dead inside and no longer smile or laugh. Which, believe it or not I still managed at times with no medication and only two hours of sleep! I am going to continue with this medication for a couple of months and then taper it down if possible."

Littlebroken (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Taking it for Borderline Personality Disorder/Emotionally unstable personality disorder(EUPD). An effective mood stabilizer and helps with paranoia and occasional psychosis. The drowsy side effect has helped with my insomnia as my sleep was awful. I'm on 300mg at night. The other side effects are a pain though. I've put on 4-5 stone (56/70 lbs I believe) at least, whilst I've been on these possibly from the munchies it gives me but I'm sure it's altered my metabolism.. After taking the dose, my nose blocks up completely. I have to use a nose spray every night. My heart pounds and I get restless legs and arms. It feels like something tickling them on the inside. I always feel drowsy in the mornings but that is to be expected."

kas80 December 27, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Caused excessive weight gain (60+lbs) very quickly (despite me eating LESS), caused a weird decrease in cognitive ability, higher blood pressure (I already have hypertension, thanks), elevated blood sugar levels and probably other things I'm forgetting... I've been put on this against my will repeatedly because it's a Medicaid favored drug in my state, but it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I still have Medicaid but go to a private pay shrink because he listens."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Prescribed by shrink for insomnia and anxiety when was having a terrible time trying to get off benzos. Has worked very well albeit I have stuck on same dose of benzodiazepines on advice , ie not come down any more. It's great for going to sleep and not waking up at 4 am worried about stuff. Yes it makes you a bit drowsy and you do eat more . It reminds me of the munchies. Best thing is just to go to bed. I wanted to say though that the dose is critical. For sleep dose very low. I take 12.5 mg . I went up to 25mg and was a zombie it was horrible. If you have a shitty time try halving t he dose. I know it does different things at different levels and maybe if you took a whole lot more then it would work in a different way ."

Tedium December 24, 2016

For Depression: "I been on this med for 3 weeks, and feel much better but in constant fear of weight gain ."

abica December 21, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Quitiapine turned my anxiety into anger and severe suicidal ideas. Anxiety turned into anger and made me act badly toward my family Although I stopped quetiapine 4 months ago, and these symptoms have mostly disappeared, I still have to deal with child protection services and similar legal issues. If your doctor prescribes this, be VERY careful and notice any sign of negative change."

Hedonink (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication for about a week now. I am a type 1 diabetic. My sugars are extremely on the high side. It was like overnight it raised my sugars terrible. It has the complete opposite affect, my mind races. I pace , no sleep for me. So I think I need to be done with this. The not taking it verses the side effects. And I don't need this. So diabetics beware."

Diabetic 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This is a zombie drug."

Zombie666 December 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "This has been a lifesaver for me! It's the first thing that has worked for me and I've been taking 25 mg per day for about 3 weeks without ANY ill side effects."

Georgia girl 22 December 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I scarcely leave reviews but I feel compelled to give credit where it is due. I have fought insomnia, anxiety, depression, and a myriad of everything in between for the past 8 years. This has completely changed the game and given me my life back. I can sleep again! I haven't gained any weight in fact I have shed a few pounds due to feeling so amazing and having the energy and wherewithal to get out of bed and tackle my day. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I seriously have tried EVERYTHING- benzos, SSRI, tricyclics, natural, counseling, inpatient rehab. Seroquil wins hands down as it conquers my insomnia which is my worst trait. I noticed a little bit of a short temper at first but that has subsided."

HenricusRexVIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on it for about 1 1/2 years for insomnia and mood swings (bipolar 2) Tried a few other drugs but this one works best. I have gained weight but I am a calmer, happier person on it. My sleep schedule has settled over time. Initially I slept too much (10 + hrs) or was tired during day. Settled finally on 2 generic Seroquel XR50's about 3-4 hrs before bed and that works pretty good for me. Don't know why it takes that long to kick in but it works so I don't care about why."

Patty May (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have crps I developed after 2 major shoulder and bicep surgeries in less then 3 months. I am on fentanyl patches, oxycodone, topamax, baclofen and cymbalta for pain. I was taking ambien at night to sleep. It was giving me 4 hours of restful peaceful sleep if i did not move. ( Moving my shoulder causes severe pain). Dr. was concerned about the sleep walking caused by ambien. She wanted me to try this I have had horrible nights, a terrible drugged feeling. I am aware the world exists all hours of the night. It is causing headaches in my front forehead area. The headache hangs on till well after lunch most days. I actually decided last night I would rather deal with my pain 24 hours a day with no relief then deal with the effects."

Poohbare (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have had PTSD since age 9. I am a severe abuse and torture survivor of 14 years of daily abuse and torture. I tried many medications but this one for me is a life saver. I've had so many anxiety attacks (like heart attacks but not fatal) that my heart is covered in scar tissue. Quetiapine (Seroquil), has stopped a lot of my issues and made me calmer. It's extending my life. I'm thankful for that."

Vegon Brei December 3, 2016

For Insomnia: "So I've jut begun the seriquel drug to treat apparent Bipolar disorder, This drug has 110% assisted in my sleeping but thats also the issue, See I HATE sleeping through the day, but since taking this drug every night around 8:30pm I cannot seem to stay awake all day im either EXTREMELY tired and drowsy sleeping, or I am EXTREMELY hungry, I cannot seem to stop my appetite, I have also noticed a strong increase in my aggressiveness I am usually a very calm person, however I have found myself getting angry and or sad at very little, I am contributing this to my current state of drowsiness, however even after a 18 hour shift at work i usually dont get angry, Now this is purely my opinion and my experience and I am yet to speak with my GP"

Rushby December 1, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "My daughter was prescribed this dreadful drug by a supposedly Consultant psychiatrist. Her weight doubled in just over a year. This drug gives you suicidal thoughts and my daughter committed suicide on 16th November 2016. Reading her suicide note was heartbreaking. The Seroquel never helped her in any way so she tried to come off them and the withdrawal effects were horrendous.I believe that her mental condition got worse when she was on this drug. I would never recommend this medicatiion to anyone. I live in the UK."

Ingerlisa December 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "That Seroquel "XR" works so fantastically well for my severe GAD/Social Anxiety comes as a surprise to me. I was hesitant st first to use an anti-psychotic for this. Turns out that the "XR" version of Seroquel behaves differently, doesn't have the drawbacks of the 'regular' version. I don't become a zombie on Seroquel XR, in fact I take it in the morning & then go about my day. Within a couple of hours or so I feel Calm-As-a-Cucumber, I stop sweating, no more racing thoughts and even my speech improves. And no heavy sedation. But a warm calmness that I would describe as opiate-like. Seroquel XR is a major, major help to me. Thank god for it."

FrankLeeSpeeking (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016