User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

"I been on this med for 3 weeks, and feel much better but in constant fear of weight gain ."

abica December 21, 2016

"I take 300mg of serequol xr at night time with antidepressants it puts me to sleep as I wouldn't be able to however I'm knocked out until the morning if I don't take it everyday I get major withdrawals symptoms even if it's on 48 hrs so will be interesting in seeing how I get off it over the next couple of years but has improved sleep and mood"

Teddymack November 24, 2016

"I've been on this drug for four years, and I will admit, it did help me out at first. I was deeply depressed and going through some major life changing situations. As this calmed down and I developed spiritually, emotionally and mentally, I gradually decreased the dose. I was on 100mg the first year, the second year, 50mg, the third, 25mg, and the fourth, 12.5mg (cutting the 25mg pill in half.) I just got off of it two days ago, and I feel like a new person. I had no idea how much it tampered with my mind. I was in a fog for FOUR YEARS. Although I'm sleep deprived, achy, and irritable from the withdrawals (this med's withdrawals are heinous) I feel better than I have in four years. I do not recommend this drug- save your mind!"

Elaine_M November 21, 2016

"I am 65 and have PTSD from the loss of my son. I was prescribed Xanax and Klonipin for a few yrs but they did not deal with the panic attacks that I was experiencing. I cannot take SSRIs due to side effects, so I mentioned the Seroquel to my doctor who said it did have a mild anti depressant effect. I take .25 mg in the morning, and 3 of them at night . No weight gain, I am very active. If anything, my appetite has fallen. I sleep 8 hrs REM sleep and don't really need as much of the xanax or klonipin now. The Seroquel has helped me function greatly and won't allow the panic to set in. So, I am happy with it."

mtb3333 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

"I've been on this for a few weeks for insomnia. It is TERRIBLE. It gives me a severe headache every morning and has made my depression increase threefold. I absolutely hate this medication. It has actually made me feel more mentally unstable."

Deanne marie October 12, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with psychotic features. I was put in intensive out patient care after going to the Emergency Room for intense auditory hallucinations that were so malicious I feared for my own life. Lost my job and everything. Seroquel has given me hope as well as lorazepam for my anxiety. To me seroquel is a miracle drug for its antipsychotic features as well as depression. I'm having to up the dosage lately because my voices are creeping back in. Searching for further pychiactric help but right now I'm stable and I thought that would be impossible. Sharing a good experience. Thanks for reading."

Keylimeisbomb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again."

This is Kris (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"I am going to agree with the last comment, however I find it hard to eat/keep on weight after major surgery & cancer- so the weight gain is GREAT for me, personally. I used to mainly use marijuana to help me eat (and to help calm me down), but smoking it is terrible for my lungs (I already have COPD from smoking marijuana for 15 years) This helps me get to sleep, seems to "even-out" my moods, but I can't take it during the day for anxiety because it messes me up too much. I use clonazepam (successfully) during the day, when needed. At first I didn't want to take seroquel, but it is definitely worth a try!! Better than every other "nightmarish" antidepressant I have ever tried!!"

Worth*a*Try (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

"Pros: Zapped my depression, cured my insomnia and keeps my mood calm and steady. Cons: Weight gain, still need Valium for anxiety."

shotsInWashington July 26, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect."

garybooberry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

"I suffered from postpartum depression with insomnia. I was on this medication for less than 3 years. It took 4 attempts to discontinue this medication. I felt helpless when trying to stop. I was on 600 mg at one point and I was down to 6.25 mg. I ended up taking it every other night then every 3rd night then finally stopping. I got the approval of my doctor to do this. I still have problems sleeping but I know in time it will get better. I already feel better mentally and all the swelling in my face, hands and feet are gone. Seroquel served a purpose in my life when I needed it but I'm very thankful to be off this poison!"

SuzyQ630 April 24, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)"

muDraconis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life."

robbieMac (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit."

Arri (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope."

Issy96 November 10, 2015

"I have been taking this for 3 weeks and I completely came off Valium I was on for 11 months on the day of taking this. I noticed a change on the 2nd week and I feel more calmer and have the ability to make more concise and clear decisions, I do not act out of anger any more, I will take my time to analyse a situation and before time has gone I realise the situation no longer bothers me! Great Med Low dose for Depression Anger issues!"

Ms 123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

"I been using these pills for 10 days now it's really amazing. I had tried many different before. None works. These pills works great. Sleep really good. Just worry maybe sleeping to much!! ):"

Errol1 November 5, 2015

"Got this at ER. Caused my depression to worsen after three weeks. Despite drowsiness, the co-occurrence with restlessness initially caused inability to sleep. Further use led to somnolence, further lack of motivation and suicidal ideation. Discontinuation caused depersonalization and severe aggression. Read the story of Dan Markingson. Not recommended at all for depression."

suicidejean (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

"I was perscribed this medication by my psyciatrist about a month or so ago. Me and my mother were in no way notified about the effects this medication may have. I am only 15 years of age and I have been on fluoxetine for two years. This particular medication has not agreed with me at all... The same as aripripizol but worse. My symptoms worsened. I even developed more weird behaviours. I was worse than when I had started. I became increasingly paranoid, ten times more anxious and my mood fluctuated constantly. There has been no positive changes to my behaviour or mood and the side effects have effected me drastically. I have just got off the tablets and my depression has worsened and I now have insomnia. It has been in no way positive."

Holly Alice (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have taken it for PTSD at night for a long time. I'm able to sleep without having horrific nightmares. There is weight gain, but that boosts me to eat healthy and exercise, which helps my depression! klonipin to help with daytime anxiety and Seroquel before bed are the two drugs that keep me sane and able to live a normal life."

Kmtdstr (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

"Was put on Seroquel as a mood stabilizer along with my anti depressant 3 years ago. Worked wonderfully. Was able to sleep, eat (which I couldn't do due to anxiety) and felt good. At first. After 3 years I gained 40 pounds, ate like a pig and had heart palpitations, high prolactin levels and felt like a zombie. I have been off of it for almost a month. Terrible drug for me."

cyvettee September 22, 2015

"I had depression and could not sleep longer than 2 hour. With Seroquel 200 mg I was ok and slept 8 to 9 hours after 6 to 7 weeks. Side effects dizziness weakness, sweating, chills, cough loss of appetite. I got to dread taking it because of side effects. I would wait and fall asleep naturally but only last for 2 to 3 hours wake up take a short walk to feel tired again and then would take 100 mg and go to sleep still side effects not as bad but would get anxious upon awakening and needed to usually take lorazapam or equivalent. Going to see doc and hope he can suggest something different"

chevy39 September 9, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Hate this med. Constantly sick on it. Stomach pain, severe diarrhea, passing out, severe dizziness and unable to wake up. Hungry for food all the time. Nasty taste in mouth. Thirsty all the time. Can't motivate myself to do anything. This was on the lowest dose available. Won't take it ever again don't care what my doctor says. No way."

sick constantly (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015

"I have PTSD and bipolar OCD and agrophobia. I'm on 5 mg diazepam, 300 pregablin 225 quetiapine and 408 lymecycline these all daily dosages. I find it spaces me out a fair bit and i do eat more BUT its been an overnight success for me its made life bearable again."

Pikeypete August 5, 2015

"Really good for sleep when not too anxious(25mg) but when over anxious doesn't work for me. I didn't find it very good for suicidal tendencies/depression."

Do I have a name?? August 5, 2015