User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 159 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 53% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

25% 40
6% 9
5% 8

Reviews for Quetiapine

Mr.quetiapine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 17, 2021

“Caution!; many reports here are from sub <100 mg dosages! These doses are not approved for depression. 150-300mg have been studied in multiple trials with positive results. So if you want to take reports here seriously, at least look for those reports that actually report dosages clinically approved for depression! On a side note; I have used quetiapine for 8 months, and overall its been a very good medication for me. The positives; -not only is it anti-depressive for me, but it also allivate my mood over my "normal" not-depressant mood. - works very good for social anxiety for me(although in average this has not been seen in trials). Negative; makes me tired the first 3 hours of the day, which is not trivial. (English is my second language, I rarely write it, so the spelling is probably not great.)”

Johnny · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2021

“I take a 700 mg quetiapine daily as it’s the only way of preventing me from harming myself. It’s like being mentally awake in a sleeping body. Have been on this dosage for years and no sign of this decreasing whilst my mental state continues the way it is . Was a fit sporty guy before taking it and now feel like a zombie”

Mom with pink hair January 18, 2021

“I was taken off Citalopram in favor of quetiapine and it is absolutely horrible. I've never felt so low.”

James mic January 16, 2021

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “This medication Seroquel xr caused me to have body chills, and a hung over fatigue. I couldn't do anything after taking 3 pills it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was totally hung over for 2 day bad headaches and I was shaking non stop. I've stopped this medication can't do it again”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2020

“I have been battling anxiety and depression for the past 2 months and my citalpram stopped working so they wanted me to try this. I was on it 2 days and was suicidal on day 2”

Zeedog · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2020

“I took Seroquel for only a few days. Every time I took a pill I felt like I wanted to cry. I thought it might pass but it didn't. I had to quit taking the medicine. I did not like that feeling.”

Ocalaartist · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 14, 2020

“I am bipolar one and I am primarily always in the depressed phase. I cannot take any depressants because they make me worse, kind of feel like I'm in a hole if that makes sense. I take 200 mg of instant release Seroquel, 100 mg at about 7:30 in the evening and the other 100 about 11:00 p.m.. I sleep wonderfully and it has tremendously made an impact on my depression. I guess I am very lucky. I did a lot of research on why the weight gain happens and I read that it could be caused by insulin resistance. I take 2,000 mg of Ceylon cinnamon and also 5000 mg of vitamin D3 and magnesium. I have not gained a pound. Please Google this especially the vitamin D for antipsychotic side effects. Good luck!”

T · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 12, 2020

“I struggle with insomnia, depression and a multitude of other things and I’m still sort of figuring out how to deal with and treat them. I started seroquel at 25 mg about 8 months ago and just increased my dose to 50mg. It mostly helps me sleep but occasionally I won’t sleep at all. I stopped having nightmares/ I haven’t had sleep paralysis since I started. My mood is also significantly better. I have strong laughter and I cry in reaction to things (like a sad movie) in a way that feels healthy. I used to either not cry at all for months or cry by myself for hours. I also used to have what I describe as customer service laughter. I still get panic and anxiety attacks and this isn’t a cure all, but it feels really good to be able to laugh.”

Zel November 4, 2020

“I’m on 50 mg of Citalopram . Not sleeping soundly which has just turned into insomnia. Psych has given me quetiapine 25mg to help me sleep. Taken me 5 days to work out I must have it at 6 pm for it to work(apparently the affect takes 2-3 hours to come on) and to not be groggy until midday the following day (awful). Since taking it I have noticed a slight increase in depression. Then today bang, anxiety back although it was quite short lived. Someone on here mentioned the bounce back effect, which I’m beginning to see is happening with this drug, the same as Ativan did... just makes depression and anxiety worse. Psych seems to think it’s not addictive either. I really don’t agree with that. How can something that puts you to sleep so nicely ever not be a choice over insomnia. I think I’m going to stop taking it as much as it helps my sleep. Can’t risk having depression and anxiety be any worse. This is a very heavy drug. I’m quite surprised she subscribed it so easily. Beware.”

mairajshangla1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2020

“I started quetiapine 25 mg at bed time with 150 mg sertraline my mood was not good then I added 25 mg quetiapine at morning with 100 mg sertraline and I am now feeling well with quetiapine but some times I still have depression attacks. I am not sure what to do next.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

“Quetiapine really makes me feel very calm and instantly gets rid all the pain and tingling sensations in my body. Sometimes it makes me feel really strange like it makes things look more vivid and emotional but not always in a bad way. I had lost my appetite I couldn't eat but when I take those pills I eat like a monster. Quetiapine cured my insomnia that was out of control. I couldn't sleep for days but now I am back on track. I recommend a dose from 50mg to 100 mg. If that doesn't help also recommend to increase the dose but consult your doctor first. But there is one thing that is strange about this drug, sometimes it makes you feel like you are little bit high on weed. Anyways it really helped in so many ways.”

Mo · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“I was prescribed quetiapine about two days ago for derealization/Bipolar/Anxiety/Depression. After taking 25 mg before bed, well, it’s definitely a sedative. I was basically in between sleep and awake having a panic attack. I had crazy dreams & the next day I feel worse. I don’t plan on taking it anymore because it was an unsettling, for lack of a better word, experience. This wasn’t for me, personally. I used goodrx to only pay $9 for the medication. And PlushCare to talk to an MD for $100.”

kate · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2020

“I was put on this medication quetiapine as an add on drug to go along side my venlafaxine 150mg. Before this I was taking olanzapine 10mg. The olanzapine soon stopped working after about 4 months. I was so low and depressed, I wanted to end my life. I didn't have any emotions. However quetiapine has saved my life. The dose was increased by 50mg every 3 days. At first I didn't feel any different, then when the dr increased it to 150mg I started seeing and improvement in my mood. From then on I got better every single day. I am now on 300mg and have got my life back. I'm now 4 years in remission and have never felt so good. I wish I was put on this rather than olanzapine.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 14, 2020

“I took the 400 mg quetiapine xr version and the 25 to 50 mg regular one. All was good the drug is smooth helps me sleep. I just don't know why I look up the Ndc number for my tablet with the number 25 on it for 25 mg, and supposedly when I look it up it says accord, but on the bottle it says inta, maybe accord took over ibta I'm not sure. But it can get confusing.”

JG · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

“Seroquel is definitely not for me at 25 mg. I am not sure I have bipolar disorder my symptoms are severe depression and anxiety, but I might according to some of the symptoms. I experienced confusion, could not focus, and felt I was living in a fantasy world. I also had very strange dreams. I have only been on it for 1 week but just could not handle the side effects.”

Kiki · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2020

“I took 400mg/night quetiapine and gained 40 lbs. Gained a ton of weight. withdrawal was awful. By end of the 1st week I was hallucinating due to sleep deprivation. I was so sick. Bad Dr didn’t taper me off. Went back to SSRIs, had 2 failed suicide attempts (SSRI resistant) and a new Dr urged me to go back on quetiapine as it was the only thing working for me. I hated the side effects but knew he was right. Gave it another shot with a new Dr at 150mg/night. He said there ARE WAYS to prevent the negative side effects. Dr said with a proper taper, severe withdrawal won't happen. Life made a complete 180. I take Quetiapine with topamax and Metformin and got in amazing shape! (5’4 110lbs compared to 5’4 160lbs the first time I took it) With a proper Dr I realized how much it helps me. No negative side effects cause we keep my dose as low as possible. There are nights I fall asleep without taking it, and sleep fine— if you’re on this medication having a bad experience you know how rare this is.”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2020

“Asked my psychiatrist not to prescribe me these for antidepressants cause I had them as sleeping pills in a smaller dose when I was younger and became addicted to it could not sleep without multiple pills, they did not listen and gave me it for depression and it’s been months now because they said I had to give it a long try and I’m miserable I feel like a zombie everyday I cry and get angry at the smallest things I was better off with no medication than with these and I have gained 15 pounds so yeah not for me”

Sienna Catz · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“Experienced headaches, dizziness, extremely sedating, leaves me with a feeling of complete numbness, I am simply hollow when on QUETIAPINE. My sister had the same reaction and our depression only grew worse.”

Stu · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

“I had major depression, suicidal idolisation, major anxiety. 1 x 50mg tablet at night feeling much better within 24 hours. Some lingering tiredness and more sleep required, instead of 7-8 hours need 8-10 hours. Years on various SSRI,s 10%-15% improvement at best. Valdoxin, prozac, zoloft, etc.”

Maggie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

“Serequel has been life changing for me. I struggled with insomnia for years. Currently diagnosed with bipolar type ll, was prescribed Lamotrigine and Seraquel. Seraquel has helped me tremendously. I’m sleeping better than I ever have, and I’ve actually lost weight with this medication because now that I’m sleeping I actually have the energy to workout everyday. I am so thankful for this medication!”

Bobby · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“Quetiapine (or Seroquel) isn't helping me at all & I fear it's negating the effect of my anti-depressant Venlafaxine. Every time I try to take it, I quit after about a month because, despite me sleeping better, my mood becomes very low. This time, during a stay in a psychiatric hospital, I've given it a go for 2 months but the depression has got worse and worse, whereas before I would be naturally depressed for a week and then feel better the next week. I'm going to faze it out so I can tell if my AD works or not.”

Karen · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“The first one tablet I ever took of quetipine I took made me back to feeling well again amazing meds.”

Marie K · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

“It put me to sleep, but in 8 months I have put on 25 pounds . I have never in my life been the weight I am now. Doctor is now tapering me off.”

Nissan 261 · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “All is does for me is help me sleep. I'm addicted to it now..!! Can't sleep without it.. And it cost $100.00 a month!!! I wouldn't recommend me to anyone...!!!”

Simi · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

“I've been or seroquel for about 5 months now and it really changed my life. I've had many traumatic things happen in my life and it has really helped me to deal with life. I sleep fantastically but the weight gain has been an issue for me. If anyone has any success stories on loosing weight on seroquel please share your experience”