User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

"First of all, for all the people writing reviews that haven't been on this drug for AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS your reviews are almost invalid, this drug is as two-faced as many make it out to be and for those people they just aren't giving it enough time to see both sides of it. I have been on and off Seroquel for a few years now and currently taking 150mg at night for the past 3 months. It helped with anxiety and sleep which was great! I was less intimidated and anxious at school and with friends. However, it seriously affected my mood, constantly shifting from agitated to blunted, my concentration, my dreams, weight and eventually, over the course of about six weeks, caused one of the most serious relapses in my depression in years. Be careful!"

Someguywithdepressionduh (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor had hoped that Seroquel could help my depression but Seroquel XR caused a bizarre condition where I couldn't stop flailing my arms and legs. Now I take 600 mgs of regular Seroquel to help me sleep at night. Does it help with my depression? I don't think so. At least not to a significant degree. But it does help me sleep!"

Sad Amy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Delusional Jealousy in November 2016. I was utterly convinced my wife was cheating on me despite no evidence to support this irrational belief. The lack of evidence just made me even more suspicious. I was out of control. Taking Prozac and Lorazepam to try and control the anxiety was making things worse. A private Psychiatrist diagnosed me and prescribed quetiapine 300mg. The first 2 weeks were a bit groggy but I kept fit, ate healthily and went to bed early. The results were astonishing. I was immediately so much calmer and rational. At the very least this drug saved my marriage and at best it has probably saved my life. Yes I'm hungry all the time and have to be careful with food, but it's a small price to pay."

QuetiapineBoy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was on this medication for around 3 years at different doses, anywhere from 50 mgs to 600 mgs. It was a very good medicine and helped a lot with my anxiety and depression and really calmed me down and was very helpful, but the weight gain was a killer. I would try to go off over and over and would have to keep going back to it because I would be in such bad shape without it. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I became pre-diabetic while on it. I finally was able to go off and stay off at one point. It's a great drug, but the side effects are horrible as far as weight gain."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Seroquel when I had just recently been put on Buspar for anxiety and was not feeling beneficial effects yet. It was a break glass in case of emergency medication for me. Thankfully, the Buspar did not take too long to kick in and I only had to take a few of the Seroquel. It has been a few years since then and I still had the mostly full bottle with me. My new doctor decided to stop refilling my Trazodone for 4 months and so I started taking Seroquel again at night to help me sleep. It did help me sleep and did wonders for my anxiety and occasional racing thoughts, however over the course of a month, I managed to gain 40 lbs. I have since run out and am happily taking Trazodone again, but I have not lost any of this weight. I was not terribly excited about my weight before and now I'm nearing 200 lbs, which is not a healthy weight for me."

stephthepanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on quetiapine for a few years, I have had weight gain and I've put on a lot weight and now I'm diabetic type 2, but for me its been a small price to pay, I've have tried a lot of different drugs (antidepressants) over many years but for me quetiapine has saved my life in many ways before taking this drug I was very ill, I wanted to die not because I hated life or anything like that but I wanted to stop my awful thoughts I couldn't cope with anything in life, many times I was seeing things my life was hell, not sleeping, not going out fearful all the time, Even though I still have problems I never go anywhere on my own not even out by the front door,I know this drug has given me a small part of my life back."

lillybuff63 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent substitute to benzos for sleep. Take 25-50mg a night, very helpful. No major side effects at this low dose, just much better sleep. Takes about an hour to make me drowsy."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 32 years old, bipolar, OCD tendencies. Have been taking Seroquel XR for over a week now. At first it seemed to trigger a manic episode that lasted for 5 days. For someone who typically spends most of his time on the depressive side, this was heaven. LOL I take 100mg a day just before bed time, have no trouble getting to sleep, am able to stay asleep and don't find it too difficult to wake up. I normally have consuming and unwarranted anxiety. This has been greatly suppressed. I find it much easier to control my anger and in general my emotions have become much more stable. There have been no negative side-effects. I still feel like I need an additional anti-depressant as my normal "base level" is too low but am otherwise satisfied"

SGP666 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have depression with anxious disitress.My extremely racing thoughts would typically whip me up into a panicky state, sometimes with outbursts of irrational anger. Seroquel XR works fantastically to ease that racing mind, to a more 'normal'and useful pace. Side effects are virtually absent: the XR doesn't floor me like immediate release Seroquel did. I can function and think well. Seroquel XR is a good medicine. It also helps with my depression."

Global Man January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medicine with lamotragine to treat major depression and speculated bipolar disorder. I think it worked well, it got me out of a bad fog, but it made me so tired. I had to sleep for a tleast 12 hours. If anyone let me, I'd probably sleep for 24. For most of the time I was taking 50mg. Then we upped it to 100mg and I was starting to sleep through my alarms, I was being late for work. So I took myself off of it gradually. I didn't have the money to back to the phsychiatrist. Anyhow, I got off of it, it's been a good 8 or so months. And the depression is back..or at least starting up again. I'm thinking that my only option is to go back on this medicine..but maybe only take 25 mg doses since it makes me so tired. Is this a bad idea?"

Era766 January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I been on this med for 3 weeks, and feel much better but in constant fear of weight gain ."

abica December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300mg of serequol xr at night time with antidepressants it puts me to sleep as I wouldn't be able to however I'm knocked out until the morning if I don't take it everyday I get major withdrawals symptoms even if it's on 48 hrs so will be interesting in seeing how I get off it over the next couple of years but has improved sleep and mood"

Teddymack November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this drug for four years, and I will admit, it did help me out at first. I was deeply depressed and going through some major life changing situations. As this calmed down and I developed spiritually, emotionally and mentally, I gradually decreased the dose. I was on 100mg the first year, the second year, 50mg, the third, 25mg, and the fourth, 12.5mg (cutting the 25mg pill in half.) I just got off of it two days ago, and I feel like a new person. I had no idea how much it tampered with my mind. I was in a fog for FOUR YEARS. Although I'm sleep deprived, achy, and irritable from the withdrawals (this med's withdrawals are heinous) I feel better than I have in four years. I do not recommend this drug- save your mind!"

Elaine_M November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 65 and have PTSD from the loss of my son. I was prescribed Xanax and Klonipin for a few yrs but they did not deal with the panic attacks that I was experiencing. I cannot take SSRIs due to side effects, so I mentioned the Seroquel to my doctor who said it did have a mild anti depressant effect. I take .25 mg in the morning, and 3 of them at night . No weight gain, I am very active. If anything, my appetite has fallen. I sleep 8 hrs REM sleep and don't really need as much of the xanax or klonipin now. The Seroquel has helped me function greatly and won't allow the panic to set in. So, I am happy with it."

mtb3333 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this for a few weeks for insomnia. It is TERRIBLE. It gives me a severe headache every morning and has made my depression increase threefold. I absolutely hate this medication. It has actually made me feel more mentally unstable."

Deanne marie October 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with psychotic features. I was put in intensive out patient care after going to the Emergency Room for intense auditory hallucinations that were so malicious I feared for my own life. Lost my job and everything. Seroquel has given me hope as well as lorazepam for my anxiety. To me seroquel is a miracle drug for its antipsychotic features as well as depression. I'm having to up the dosage lately because my voices are creeping back in. Searching for further pychiactric help but right now I'm stable and I thought that would be impossible. Sharing a good experience. Thanks for reading."

Keylimeisbomb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have only been on Seroquel XR for about a week at 50mg. My doctor prescribed it as an adjunct to Remeron to treat anxiety, depression, paranoia, and insomnia. I also take gabapentin, atenolol, and Xanax. When the Seroquel XR works, it WORKS. I can feel it sedating me two hours after I take it. I've been sleeping eight and nine hours a night, which has not happened in a very, very long time. It's effective at neutralizing both anxiety and depression. BUT... it doesn't last 24 hours for me; it only lasts about 15. Once it wears off my anxiety and depression return with a vengeance. Makes for a very rough 8 or 9 hours until I can take it again."

This is Kris (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am going to agree with the last comment, however I find it hard to eat/keep on weight after major surgery & cancer- so the weight gain is GREAT for me, personally. I used to mainly use marijuana to help me eat (and to help calm me down), but smoking it is terrible for my lungs (I already have COPD from smoking marijuana for 15 years) This helps me get to sleep, seems to "even-out" my moods, but I can't take it during the day for anxiety because it messes me up too much. I use clonazepam (successfully) during the day, when needed. At first I didn't want to take seroquel, but it is definitely worth a try!! Better than every other "nightmarish" antidepressant I have ever tried!!"

Worth*a*Try (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pros: Zapped my depression, cured my insomnia and keeps my mood calm and steady. Cons: Weight gain, still need Valium for anxiety."

shotsInWashington July 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I've been on just about every antidepressant on the market and my doctor and I decided to try adjunct therapy with Seroquel to "boost" the effect of the Brintellix I take. I was really pleased to find it has a significant effect on my anxiety, which has always been a major component of my depression. While it didn't get rid of my depression, I feel better overall than I have in ages. Downsides? It's expensive if you don't have good insurance. I get a 90-day supply for $80. It also will knock you the heck out. I have to take mine before 6 p.m. or I will have great difficulty in waking up (even with an alarm). It has a heavy sedating effect."

garybooberry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from postpartum depression with insomnia. I was on this medication for less than 3 years. It took 4 attempts to discontinue this medication. I felt helpless when trying to stop. I was on 600 mg at one point and I was down to 6.25 mg. I ended up taking it every other night then every 3rd night then finally stopping. I got the approval of my doctor to do this. I still have problems sleeping but I know in time it will get better. I already feel better mentally and all the swelling in my face, hands and feet are gone. Seroquel served a purpose in my life when I needed it but I'm very thankful to be off this poison!"

SuzyQ630 April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "It was mainly prescribed as a sleep aid, in addition to its antidepressant qualities. I was on regular Seroquel and now on XL as I have trouble staying asleep. It's slightly better. I'm getting 6 hours of sleep a night. I am not usually groggy or snowed by this, maybe once per 30 doses. I'm ok with it. Only downside is cost (XL is brand)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I've been on Venlafaxine 300mg along with Quetiapine, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for Major Depression for around 7 years.Augmentation therapy works for me. It's not perfect, but this level of Venlafaxine along with the other meds has kept me alive. I'm not getting better, but I'm certainly more stable and not going downhill and not suicidal. So in conclusion, don't be scared of meds, they may just save your life."

robbieMac (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "My experience on Seroquel nearly cost me my job as it turned me into a ZOMBIE!. Since going off the drug I am fully functional. My head is clear and I have energy to do things. I cannot believe my Dr prescribed me an antipsychotic drug such as seroquel. Colleagues observing me thought I had undergone a major personality disorder. I have been off it for a month now and not missing it one bit."

Arri (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 8 months ago (i am 19) but I do not have that. Instead I have BPD and depression. I was taking olanzapine which took away my entire life - I could barely do anything, but for the past 2 days with seroquel it has almost the opposite effect. Together with Prozac I have felt more motivated and less suicidal. Also I'm able to control my anxiety and I have more control over my behaviour. I also have trouble focusing but this has helped me focus on therapy a lot more. Sleep not great but I'm only on 25mg ; I only sleep for about 6-7 hours and then wake up and keep going back to sleep. This is the first drug that's given me hope."

Issy96 November 10, 2015