User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Depression

"Who ever said the “Seroquel saved my life reviews are fake” is so wrong - I can assure you I am a real person, and Seroquel changed my life. After suffering from depression and obsessive thoughts for the past 4 yrs I finally can make it through my day and feel great about the day. I wasn’t sleeping due to the anxiety, laying awake for hours thinking and thinking now I take 25mg fall asleep and wake up wanting to enjoy the day! Not staring in the mirror for 3 hours picking out every flaw I have an obsessing over it, crying, thinking of suicide! I’d say it saved my life. You are one person, with one persons experience. Don’t knock or assume others are not true or real. I’ve had no side effects, no weight gain, RLS, bad taste etc. For some this could be a life line. But what works for some may be pointless or dangerous for you so talk to your doctor."

KayKay May 9, 2018

"I suffer from depression after loosing my husband two years ago. I tried other medication but had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Since being on this medication my depression is not as severe and I am finally able to cope with life. It helps me to have a good night sleep but I find in order to wake up without feeling groggy I must take it around 7 pm if I am waking up between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning. (I take 50mg). The only side effect I have had is restless leg syndrome (RLS) on occasion. Other than that it's the best medication I have tried for depression."

Merrywidow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2018

"A very horrible drug never using again. Not recommended bad symptoms."

Nilough (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

"This medicine changed my life After years on medication which didn't work Finally I sleep and can cope"

Pepp (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2018

"Quetiapine is supposed to have anti-depressive effects, but personally I take Bupropion and Clonazepam and Lamotragine for that and use quetiapine for sleep primarily. But just a note to those who find this drug aggravates their RLS (and likely so does benadryl, as they function the same at low doses) - try adding 300 - 600mg of gabapentin. It should stop the RLS altogether, and is likely safer than an NSAID for pain (check with your Dr. of course). It also gives me heartburn and a 150 or 300mg generic ranitidine (Zantac) takes care of that."

wcforan March 12, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "It is ok for me, I can't say it helps that I can notice, I actually do not notice but my doctor says I have improved a lot. I don't get any side effects anymore on 200mg per night, it was ok for staying asleep too as I suffer massively broken sleep, it was no good for getting me to fall asleep. I rate it 5 since I personally see no improvement, but my doctor does."

Mikey111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

"I agree with previous poster...these reviews look badly faked. "Seroqel saved my life! " "This drug saved my life!" Seroqel does not inspire the kind of robotic (yes) automated rubbish in these reviews. Who reads them? Take it only as a last resort for sleep. Try to ignore the severe appetite stimulating effects or you will gain LARGE amounts of weight. It helps me sleep. Not pleasantly. Not without vivid, lucid dark heavy awful dreams/nightmares. If I wasn't having counselling/ hadn't enormous faith in my psychiatrist I wouldn't be on it. Big pharma stoops and stoops and still stoops lower."

Renpen (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 5, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "First, I'm not schizophrenic, nor have I been diagnosed as bipolar.. I take this for drug induced anxiety I was initially given Seroquel XR because I exhibited rapid speech & a disorganized thought pattern during my (continual) intoxication by kratom. Kratom is a 'natural', legal substance with opioid and stimulant qualities. Well, I noticed right off that Seroquel XR calmed my racing thoughts. I saw this as a benefit -- but the next move was for me to quit using kratom. I got help for that via SUBOXONE, which I'm still on. My whole life & way of thinking took a sharp turn for the better. I remain on the Seroquel XR, along with the SUBOXONE. When I questioned the continued need for Seroquel XR, my Dr. simply said, "Look, you're doing great. Why change a thing?" And he's right. So Seroquel XR remains a part of my daily recipe for success."

Tom Granthauser (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2018

"Worsen my depression a lot. I cound not find a reason cause I have been on effexor from 1998 (20 years) And effexor works great. I took seroquel a 100 mg once a day for 3 weeks. Look out!"

Voice from Poland (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2017

"I was prescribed Seroquel for PPDin early 2016 after having my 2nd child. I had a past history of severe post partum depression with my 1st birth and my 2nd birth was no different. I had the perfect storm for a mental breakdown. I had just had my baby 1 month early via emergency C-section after going into labor from a very close family member unexpectedly passing away. I had horrible symptoms...racing thoughts, no sleep, no appetite, increased heart rate, and worst of all, intrusive and disturbing thoughts. My psychiatrist, prescribed me 50mg of Seroquel to take only at night or as needed so I could sleep. Seroquel is the only medication that I have ever taken that can put me to sleep. Thank God for this medication!"

Aer661 December 9, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I've been on this for 4-5 years and it is my rock. It literally helps me so much, I couldn't have made it through high school without it. Honestly it's what helped me through my suicidal phases. I still get them but it's not as intense and I don't try and act on it anymore."

Alexis.M November 6, 2017

"I have been taking Seroquel at a low dose (50mg) for about 10 years; for insomnia and depression (to augment another mood stabilizer). It generally works very well. I fall asleep almost immediately and have uninterrupted sleep. I do have some grogginess in the morning but it generally wears off within 30-60 minutes. The only other potential side effect I've experienced is elevated cholesterol, but I do not know if the seroquel is causing it; my internist believes it may be hereditary. It's available as a generic and is very inexpensive with my insurance. Overall I find it's a good med."

Matt B. October 16, 2017

"Seroquel is the only medication that has really worked for me. I have major depression and possible bipolar disorder and it’s helped lessen my degree of depression and help me get on a more steady path. Psychotic symptoms are under control. I thought I had treatment resistant depression for a long time until I tried this. The only problem is the sedation. I’m on XR and I don’t have the sedation as bad."

JH123 October 8, 2017

"My doctor prescribed this for depression. Mood- wise, it helped and I also slept like a rock. BUT In a matter of 8 months I managed to gain 25 lbs... which my doctor did NOT tell me was a huge side effect. I stopped taking the medication and now I cannot sleep at all. I have been off of it for three weeks and still no luck."

Jenn8894 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

"First of all, for all the people writing reviews that haven't been on this drug for AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS your reviews are almost invalid, this drug is as two-faced as many make it out to be and for those people they just aren't giving it enough time to see both sides of it. I have been on and off Seroquel for a few years now and currently taking 150mg at night for the past 3 months. It helped with anxiety and sleep which was great! I was less intimidated and anxious at school and with friends. However, it seriously affected my mood, constantly shifting from agitated to blunted, my concentration, my dreams, weight and eventually, over the course of about six weeks, caused one of the most serious relapses in my depression in years. Be careful!"

Someguywithdepressionduh (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017

"My doctor had hoped that Seroquel could help my depression but Seroquel XR caused a bizarre condition where I couldn't stop flailing my arms and legs. Now I take 600 mgs of regular Seroquel to help me sleep at night. Does it help with my depression? I don't think so. At least not to a significant degree. But it does help me sleep!"

Sad Amy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2017

"I was diagnosed with Delusional Jealousy in November 2016. I was utterly convinced my wife was cheating on me despite no evidence to support this irrational belief. The lack of evidence just made me even more suspicious. I was out of control. Taking Prozac and Lorazepam to try and control the anxiety was making things worse. A private Psychiatrist diagnosed me and prescribed quetiapine 300mg. The first 2 weeks were a bit groggy but I kept fit, ate healthily and went to bed early. The results were astonishing. I was immediately so much calmer and rational. At the very least this drug saved my marriage and at best it has probably saved my life. Yes I'm hungry all the time and have to be careful with food, but it's a small price to pay."

QuetiapineBoy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was on this medication for around 3 years at different doses, anywhere from 50 mgs to 600 mgs. It was a very good medicine and helped a lot with my anxiety and depression and really calmed me down and was very helpful, but the weight gain was a killer. I would try to go off over and over and would have to keep going back to it because I would be in such bad shape without it. I had a love/hate relationship with it. I became pre-diabetic while on it. I finally was able to go off and stay off at one point. It's a great drug, but the side effects are horrible as far as weight gain."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

"I was prescribed Seroquel when I had just recently been put on Buspar for anxiety and was not feeling beneficial effects yet. It was a break glass in case of emergency medication for me. Thankfully, the Buspar did not take too long to kick in and I only had to take a few of the Seroquel. It has been a few years since then and I still had the mostly full bottle with me. My new doctor decided to stop refilling my Trazodone for 4 months and so I started taking Seroquel again at night to help me sleep. It did help me sleep and did wonders for my anxiety and occasional racing thoughts, however over the course of a month, I managed to gain 40 lbs. I have since run out and am happily taking Trazodone again, but I have not lost any of this weight. I was not terribly excited about my weight before and now I'm nearing 200 lbs, which is not a healthy weight for me."

stephthepanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2017

"I've been on quetiapine for a few years, I have had weight gain and I've put on a lot weight and now I'm diabetic type 2, but for me its been a small price to pay, I've have tried a lot of different drugs (antidepressants) over many years but for me quetiapine has saved my life in many ways before taking this drug I was very ill, I wanted to die not because I hated life or anything like that but I wanted to stop my awful thoughts I couldn't cope with anything in life, many times I was seeing things my life was hell, not sleeping, not going out fearful all the time, Even though I still have problems I never go anywhere on my own not even out by the front door,I know this drug has given me a small part of my life back."

lillybuff63 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2017

"Excellent substitute to benzos for sleep. Take 25-50mg a night, very helpful. No major side effects at this low dose, just much better sleep. Takes about an hour to make me drowsy."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

"I'm 32 years old, bipolar, OCD tendencies. Have been taking Seroquel XR for over a week now. At first it seemed to trigger a manic episode that lasted for 5 days. For someone who typically spends most of his time on the depressive side, this was heaven. LOL I take 100mg a day just before bed time, have no trouble getting to sleep, am able to stay asleep and don't find it too difficult to wake up. I normally have consuming and unwarranted anxiety. This has been greatly suppressed. I find it much easier to control my anger and in general my emotions have become much more stable. There have been no negative side-effects. I still feel like I need an additional anti-depressant as my normal "base level" is too low but am otherwise satisfied"

SGP666 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have depression with anxious disitress.My extremely racing thoughts would typically whip me up into a panicky state, sometimes with outbursts of irrational anger. Seroquel XR works fantastically to ease that racing mind, to a more 'normal'and useful pace. Side effects are virtually absent: the XR doesn't floor me like immediate release Seroquel did. I can function and think well. Seroquel XR is a good medicine. It also helps with my depression."

Global Man January 25, 2017

"I took this medicine with lamotragine to treat major depression and speculated bipolar disorder. I think it worked well, it got me out of a bad fog, but it made me so tired. I had to sleep for a tleast 12 hours. If anyone let me, I'd probably sleep for 24. For most of the time I was taking 50mg. Then we upped it to 100mg and I was starting to sleep through my alarms, I was being late for work. So I took myself off of it gradually. I didn't have the money to back to the phsychiatrist. Anyhow, I got off of it, it's been a good 8 or so months. And the depression is back..or at least starting up again. I'm thinking that my only option is to go back on this medicine..but maybe only take 25 mg doses since it makes me so tired. Is this a bad idea?"

Era766 January 17, 2017

"I been on this med for 3 weeks, and feel much better but in constant fear of weight gain ."

abica December 21, 2016