User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

lorie · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 11, 2019

“I started taking seroquel about a year ago to help with insomnia causes by OCD and anxiety. It helped me incredibly, I took either 25 mg-50 mg each night to help me sleep. It has helped so much with my OCD and taken the edge away from my anxiety. I use to get very fixated on intrusive thoughts to the point where I couldn't sleep, but with this medication I can actually slow my thinking down and rationalize and calm down. I just want to say, if you’re struggling with OCD and anxiety and cannot sleep, please reach out for help. Sleep deprivation can worsen your symptoms and thinking! Please reach out for help if you are struggling with any kind of mental health issue.”

Ioanna October 8, 2019

“I suffer from OCD. I am on 60 mg paroxetine and 100mg quetiapine. I hate the fact that I have to take an antipsychotic ☹️☹️. I would love to go off it since my main fear is that I am crazy. It has helped me though, I think.”

Idk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2019

“Struggle with a lot of insomnia due to OCD and anxiety, I often times have trouble falling asleep. But this medication lets me get 8 hours of sleep every night which allows me to cope with the anxiety and OCD. It really helps with unwanted OCD thoughts, lets thoughts come and go better. It doesn’t completely get rid of my very general daily anxiety but it helps me sleep which is very important to me!! Also I’ve experienced no weight gain, only side effect would be if I take it late 12 am -1 am and night and have to get up early the next day I do feel a little drowsy for a bit.”

DiamondBoy · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

“I’ve been on Seroquel since 2007 and it has helped me greatly. I no longer suffer from intrusive thoughts. I have gained a a lot of weight, though. I take 500 mg a day.”

Iggy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“I have been on slow release quetiapine for about 2 months for OCD. Completely removes rumination right up until a couple of hours before dose. I sleep really well but if I take it after 4pm I have trouble rising for work and I am in a fog most of the next day. A real help and I am so much more focused others have noticed. Highly recommended.”

ADee · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 20, 2019

“I started on Seroquel in January 2013 after a hospitalization. My treating psychiatrist prescribed it after I discuss my challenges with ruminating thoughts, going back to my early youth. What a godsend this medication has been for me. No more thinking about the same thing, over and over and over again. Even though Seroquel is used off brand for rumination, it really has improved the overall quality of my life. So for those that suffer with ruminating thoughts, please know there is hope !!!”

Accuracy · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

“I have taken 100mg seroquel for depression before (a few years back) and now I take 25mg quetiapine (generic) along with escitalopram 20mg for depression and intrusive thoughts. It helped with my intrusive thoughts, I didn't have to do my mental compulsions as much and reduced my feelings of guilt. Does make me wake up later than usual and also shakiness after taking it at night. I didn't gain weight on the medication, however I do keep up with exercise as usual.”

npocko December 17, 2018

“I use quetiapine in conjunction with Luvox with adequate results. Thoughts are less overwhelming, but still present. I usually have a fairly high tolerance for medications, and experience few side-effects, however this drug was an exception. I started on 25mg (the lowest dose available) and they made me mentally and physically exhausted for almost 24 hours. I was unable to function normally for at least 12 hours after the initial dose. I went off them because of this, but started again at the suggestion of my psychiatrist. She suggested halving the tablets. I just went with the 25mg, but took them very early in the evening (no later than 5 pm). I found I could wake up okay in the morning, and was myself by about 11am. I've been on them for about 3 months now and have increased the dosage steadily. I have just moved up to 100mg and feel fine. No side-effects, except for memories in the couple of hours after taking the drug feeling vague and seeming somehow dreamlike.”

PoundingHeart July 21, 2018

“I was surprised that other people say how this puts them to sleep as it did the exact opposite to me. When I first took it I started feeling very disorientated & anxious, and after barely falling asleep I soon woke up with a panic attack. I continued taking it cuz the doctors pressured me but the more I took it the harder it was for me to fall asleep & I started having very painful heart palpitations 1 hour after I took the quetiapine. I noticed that it has a mood-stabilizing effect and also suppresses OCD. After a few days all my obsessions and intrusive thoughts greatly decreased. After a few months of taking I even started taking some other pills for sleep cuz Quetiapine ruined my sleep but it did make me more stable during the day. The side effects I had are: insomnia, feeling tired in morning, heart palpitations (which greatly decreased the longer I took it), and hunger for carbs. As a sleep-aid I give it a 1/10 - its awful and even ruins my sleep, as a mood-stabilizer 7/10, and as an anti-OCD 8/10.”

hburn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

“I take Seroquel for Anxiety/OCD which is rather severe, and I never thought I could feel as good as I do now. I was always scared of seroquel because of the potential weight-gain, but I find my appetite is actually less now! My head is clear, my thoughts make sense, I literally cannot ruminate no matter how hard I try. It's very bizarre but it's incredible. I feel like I have a life now. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is because it gave me headaches/muscle tension in the beginning, but thats slowly fading which is great. Don't be scared of seroquel, it might save your life.”

Sharm · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

“The quetiapine completely took away my intrusive thoughts, I couldn't talk to people as the intrusive thoughts was always there. I couldn't listen to music because the intrusive thoughts would come, couldn't go out with friends. Now this medication has changed all that I was battling this for years, and they finally put me on the right medication ”

Miss K63 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2018

“I have been quetiapine for just over a month. It was prescribed for me by a psychiatrist as I have OCD. The outcome has been amazing, I cannot believe that it seems to have taken 'the edge off' the severe anxiety I had as a result of my OCD. I don't feel spaced out but there is a feeling of 'numbness' I guess is the only way that I could describe it in my head. My psychiatrist has increased the dosage from 75mg to 100mg but I think I may just stay at 75mg as I don't want to feel 'out of it'. I would recommend it to anyone who has severe OCD. Prior to taking this medication I was at rock bottom unable to get dressed and had no appetite. I feel as though I have got my life back. I would prefer not to be on medication but it is the best option as the alternative is feeling so low and depressed as a result of the anxiety caused from my OCD .”

Zombie666 December 17, 2016

“This is a zombie drug.”

Downunderman · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 22, 2016

“This drug has changed my life, Almost eliminated the obsessive thoughts, still have the occasional bad episode but they have reduced 95%”

jonnyboyfrom boston August 31, 2016

“Excellent even at 12.5 dose,--need to split a 25mg tab in half, which is nearly impossible with some generics. I wish they'd make a lower dose. Have never taken a stronger dose for fear of over-sedation, though I get accustomed to the low dose quickly. A godsend. I highly recommend it.”

Matt1992 August 18, 2016

“Drug is absolutely amazing and SAVED my life. Literally (clinical depression). I sleep like a rock every night, and this drug improved my life in everyway. The only side effect I've found is it's actually given me OCD issues that I never had before.”

Johnny123456 April 27, 2016

“This is hands down the best drug I have taken for my OCD. The first dose had a dramatic impact on me. I take 50mgs one hour before bed and I sleep a solid 9 to 10 hours eveynight. Got up the next and had so much energy that I was looking for something to do while on vacation. This drug is awesome!!!”

Strychnine · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2016

“Great after 3 months......but will make you gain 1,444,765 pounds. No bs!”

Rob zine January 23, 2016

“After many years of sleep problems due to my ADHD I was prescribes seroquel 12.5 mg instead of melatonin. This medicine knocked me out in an hour. I finally can sleep again. Seems like during daytime my mood is a bit more stable.”

anxietyfree June 20, 2015

“I was on Seroquel for a long time and then I overdosed on it and was taken off. For the next 2 years I suffered from horrible anxiety, paranoia, ocd, panic etc. and ended up in the hospital twice for very long stays (2 months). I had ECT and nothing seemed to help. Finally my therapist suggested to the psychiatrist that he put me on Seroquel. It is like a miracle drug! I no longer have anxiety and OCD”

GoldSpade · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2013

“This is the only medication that seems to stop my the repetitive thoughts. It also improves improve mood and anxiety . Need to exercise alot though to fight the dreaded weight gain.”

Johnramone23yrs May 20, 2013

“Seroquel is an awesome medication for sleeping and some anxiety. Sometimes it's hard to say what I'm feeling because, I feel like an atomic bomb or something. I have ADHD, Bipolar 1, and obsessive compulsive disorder. Seroquel is great, I can see it doing wonders if I just had one thing. Was taking Adderall so when I took Seroquel I got schizophrenia at night like hearing and seeing things. Fun.”

Mac-lodge April 23, 2013

“I suffer from O.C.D and Obsesive Compulsive personality disorder. I have had it since aged 12. I'm now in my 40's. For the last three years I've been on a high dose of quetiapine 600 mg nightly, I also take Lustral during day.. They have helped me so much, it's first time in years I've felt more 'normal'. Before I was very manic, etc., this has calmed me down a great deal. BUT, I'm always tired, not much energy, my weight has gone up, I used to exercise before but struggle now, BUT I'd rather be like this than manic, panicking, and a nightmare to live with!! I'm married with 4 children, it's a shame they have seen me at my worst many a time, which I feel terrible about. But now I'm on this medicines I'm a different person.”

Anonymous January 23, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Puts me to sleep like turning off a light switch. Which has greatly helped me work and be on a normal schedule. Before I would stay up for 24-36 hours straight, then sleep 15 hours and then repeat. Been taking it 7 years. Now when I decide it is bedtime, I take it and 9 out of 10 times I am sleeping in 20-60 minutes. It works just as well for me at 25 mg or 200 mg....same effect. Personally, 15 minutes after I take it though I absolutely will not give my OCD the time of day, not because it goes away but because if I do the medicine makes it harder to focus and deal with whatever is bothering me and it can go on and on worse than normal. And the more drowsy I get the worse it is to focus.”

eli c. December 28, 2011

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Have been on and off Seroquel for a few years for severe obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Self harm has been a big compulsion for me. With this medicine it really helps reduce that and many other compulsions. Only big side effect is weight gain. But after being it for half a year I realize I'd rather be over weight then have the symptoms i typically have.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder