User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 37 ratings for the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. 78% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 3% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

lorie · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 11, 2019

“I started taking seroquel about a year ago to help with insomnia causes by OCD and anxiety. It helped me incredibly, I took either 25 mg-50 mg each night to help me sleep. It has helped so much with my OCD and taken the edge away from my anxiety. I use to get very fixated on intrusive thoughts to the point where I couldn't sleep, but with this medication I can actually slow my thinking down and rationalize and calm down. I just want to say, if you’re struggling with OCD and anxiety and cannot sleep, please reach out for help. Sleep deprivation can worsen your symptoms and thinking! Please reach out for help if you are struggling with any kind of mental health issue.”

Jj · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 14, 2020

“I suffered from severe OCD for 30 years. After trying everything my doctor put me on a combination of quetiapine 100mg a day and prozac 40mg a day. It has given me my life back. The OCD still lurks in the background but now I can make plans, I sleep well and I can have fun. My only regret is the waste of so many years of my life when there is a drug combo that works. Im in the uk so fortunately our meds are free”

ADee · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 20, 2019

“I started on Seroquel in January 2013 after a hospitalization. My treating psychiatrist prescribed it after I discuss my challenges with ruminating thoughts, going back to my early youth. What a godsend this medication has been for me. No more thinking about the same thing, over and over and over again. Even though Seroquel is used off brand for rumination, it really has improved the overall quality of my life. So for those that suffer with ruminating thoughts, please know there is hope !!!”

hburn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

“I take Seroquel for Anxiety/OCD which is rather severe, and I never thought I could feel as good as I do now. I was always scared of seroquel because of the potential weight-gain, but I find my appetite is actually less now! My head is clear, my thoughts make sense, I literally cannot ruminate no matter how hard I try. It's very bizarre but it's incredible. I feel like I have a life now. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is because it gave me headaches/muscle tension in the beginning, but thats slowly fading which is great. Don't be scared of seroquel, it might save your life.”

luzmagica · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2021

“This drug is the only drug I have ever taken that helps my massive anxiety and suicidal depression. I believe I am a high functioning borderline, and I was spinning out of control after a traumatic breakup with my partner. This drug saved my life! It worked immediately, the first night I took it. It took away all my suicidal thoughts that were completely overwhelming me — likely saving me from a stay at a psychiatric hospital. It has also helped eradicate obsessive thoughts about my ex partner and compulsion to contact my partner. I feel calm and relatively reasonable. I’m an attorney, and I can now focus on work so much better! Before, I was simply overwhelmed and could not focus enough to comprehend documents and client comments/emails. I don’t know how this drug works, but what a godsend! I’m on 50mg nightly. I am so grateful!”

Sharm · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

“The quetiapine completely took away my intrusive thoughts, I couldn't talk to people as the intrusive thoughts was always there. I couldn't listen to music because the intrusive thoughts would come, couldn't go out with friends. Now this medication has changed all that I was battling this for years, and they finally put me on the right medication ”

Ramandeep S · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2021

“In 2015 I was on Lithium 900mg and Qutipin 600mg. I had these strange superstitions along with these vicious and intimidating thoughts. When I told my psychiatrist about this the first thing he did was to stop Qutipin. Then he introduced Olanzapine which I found very helpful in the beginning when it was on low dose. But when the dose increased Olanzapine could do very little to stop my OCD. I became dumb and dormant. I quit football. For the next 5 years I was on high dose of Olanzapine, sometimes more than 15mg. I could do nothing about my future. I had no goals. All I was doing was eat fast food. But in April 2021 I decided to quit Olanzapine and start Qutipin after consulting my doctor. I started decreasing Olanzapine by 2.5mg and increasing Qutipin by 50mg. On decreasing Olanzapine to 2.5mg and increasing Qutipin to 350mg I got great satisfaction. My will/drive was increased, OCD symptoms were completely gone, I also started playing tennis and my short term memory got improved.”

Sandie Lee October 19, 2008

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I suffer from extreme anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was prescribed Seroquel 25 mg (one in the morning and two at bedtime). This medication has done wonders for me in a very short period of time (one week). In low doses, Seroquel is effectively taking the edge off life and I'm a much happier person. It's like a miracle drug for me and I can't imagine going back to life without it.”

vstud · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 3, 2021

“This is the only thing that are able to keep my thoughts under control. I don’t believe that OCD will be under control with this medicine only because in many cases these condition are followed with depression and anxiety. I also take Fluoxetine and Pregabalin. I feel a huge relief that allows me to function and learn what my therapist says. True life saver combo.”

Ioanna October 8, 2019

“I suffer from OCD. I am on 60 mg paroxetine and 100mg quetiapine. I hate the fact that I have to take an antipsychotic ☹️☹️. I would love to go off it since my main fear is that I am crazy. It has helped me though, I think.”

Poppy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

“This medication has saved my life. I was suffering from OCD and depression, it was a terrifying combination as I couldn't stop thinking about how terribly depressed I was. I take 150mg at night and my symptoms are pretty well managed. I also take venlafaxine 300mg alongside.”

Delusions of Grandure January 24, 2009

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was diagnosed with OCD and doctor put me on Zoloft and for some time I was okay then started getting side effects. I went back to doctor and he gave me Seroquel and instantly after taking first dose of 25mg I started to feel a lot better, like a new man. It really helped me sleep well without fear in my thoughts, so I really gave BIG 10 for this drug for helping me live normal life .”

Miss K63 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2018

“I have been quetiapine for just over a month. It was prescribed for me by a psychiatrist as I have OCD. The outcome has been amazing, I cannot believe that it seems to have taken 'the edge off' the severe anxiety I had as a result of my OCD. I don't feel spaced out but there is a feeling of 'numbness' I guess is the only way that I could describe it in my head. My psychiatrist has increased the dosage from 75mg to 100mg but I think I may just stay at 75mg as I don't want to feel 'out of it'. I would recommend it to anyone who has severe OCD. Prior to taking this medication I was at rock bottom unable to get dressed and had no appetite. I feel as though I have got my life back. I would prefer not to be on medication but it is the best option as the alternative is feeling so low and depressed as a result of the anxiety caused from my OCD .”

Idk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2019

“Struggle with a lot of insomnia due to OCD and anxiety, I often times have trouble falling asleep. But this medication lets me get 8 hours of sleep every night which allows me to cope with the anxiety and OCD. It really helps with unwanted OCD thoughts, lets thoughts come and go better. It doesn’t completely get rid of my very general daily anxiety but it helps me sleep which is very important to me!! Also I’ve experienced no weight gain, only side effect would be if I take it late 12 am -1 am and night and have to get up early the next day I do feel a little drowsy for a bit.”

Johnny123456 April 27, 2016

“This is hands down the best drug I have taken for my OCD. The first dose had a dramatic impact on me. I take 50mgs one hour before bed and I sleep a solid 9 to 10 hours eveynight. Got up the next and had so much energy that I was looking for something to do while on vacation. This drug is awesome!!!”

PoundingHeart July 21, 2018

“I was surprised that other people say how this puts them to sleep as it did the exact opposite to me. When I first took it I started feeling very disorientated & anxious, and after barely falling asleep I soon woke up with a panic attack. I continued taking it cuz the doctors pressured me but the more I took it the harder it was for me to fall asleep & I started having very painful heart palpitations 1 hour after I took the quetiapine. I noticed that it has a mood-stabilizing effect and also suppresses OCD. After a few days all my obsessions and intrusive thoughts greatly decreased. After a few months of taking I even started taking some other pills for sleep cuz Quetiapine ruined my sleep but it did make me more stable during the day. The side effects I had are: insomnia, feeling tired in morning, heart palpitations (which greatly decreased the longer I took it), and hunger for carbs. As a sleep-aid I give it a 1/10 - its awful and even ruins my sleep, as a mood-stabilizer 7/10, and as an anti-OCD 8/10.”

anxietyfree June 20, 2015

“I was on Seroquel for a long time and then I overdosed on it and was taken off. For the next 2 years I suffered from horrible anxiety, paranoia, ocd, panic etc. and ended up in the hospital twice for very long stays (2 months). I had ECT and nothing seemed to help. Finally my therapist suggested to the psychiatrist that he put me on Seroquel. It is like a miracle drug! I no longer have anxiety and OCD”

jonnyboyfrom boston August 31, 2016

“Excellent even at 12.5 dose,--need to split a 25mg tab in half, which is nearly impossible with some generics. I wish they'd make a lower dose. Have never taken a stronger dose for fear of over-sedation, though I get accustomed to the low dose quickly. A godsend. I highly recommend it.”

Iggy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“I have been on slow release quetiapine for about 2 months for OCD. Completely removes rumination right up until a couple of hours before dose. I sleep really well but if I take it after 4pm I have trouble rising for work and I am in a fog most of the next day. A real help and I am so much more focused others have noticed. Highly recommended.”

Mac-lodge April 23, 2013

“I suffer from O.C.D and Obsesive Compulsive personality disorder. I have had it since aged 12. I'm now in my 40's. For the last three years I've been on a high dose of quetiapine 600 mg nightly, I also take Lustral during day.. They have helped me so much, it's first time in years I've felt more 'normal'. Before I was very manic, etc., this has calmed me down a great deal. BUT, I'm always tired, not much energy, my weight has gone up, I used to exercise before but struggle now, BUT I'd rather be like this than manic, panicking, and a nightmare to live with!! I'm married with 4 children, it's a shame they have seen me at my worst many a time, which I feel terrible about. But now I'm on this medicines I'm a different person.”

Accuracy · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2019

“I have taken 100mg seroquel for depression before (a few years back) and now I take 25mg quetiapine (generic) along with escitalopram 20mg for depression and intrusive thoughts. It helped with my intrusive thoughts, I didn't have to do my mental compulsions as much and reduced my feelings of guilt. Does make me wake up later than usual and also shakiness after taking it at night. I didn't gain weight on the medication, however I do keep up with exercise as usual.”

Viktor W December 4, 2008

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel has made a day and night difference in my life. I have huge anxiety issues and OCD. I've been taking 200mg/night for a few years now. It's not for everybody with OCD, but it has been a life saver for me.”

Anonymous April 20, 2021

“For 3 years I was suffering from severe anxiety and OCD. Previously I'd had "classic" germ OCD, but this time it was primarily obsessive thoughts. It was the worst period of my life, leading to severe depression etc. Two SSRIs and SSRI+Risperidone+exercise+therapy did not work. Finally a doc added 100 mg Seroquel to SSRI instead of risperidone, and this changed everything. It empowered me to take control of my thoughts. Adding exercise, my life changed from extreme misery to a normal and happy life. Med. literature does not show Seroquel as a useful addition to SSRI for OCD and it does for risperidone. This may be true for germ OCD. For me, it was the complete opposite. The doc. who gave me Seroq. said that for me with elaborate, obsessive, in retrospect absurd, thoughts about how things go wrong in the future, risp. belongs to the trash bin, and Seroq. is likely helpful, which it was. If this is your case, talk to your doctor.”

Matt1992 August 18, 2016

“Drug is absolutely amazing and SAVED my life. Literally (clinical depression). I sleep like a rock every night, and this drug improved my life in everyway. The only side effect I've found is it's actually given me OCD issues that I never had before.”

JoyBlack February 15, 2021

“This drug is the reason, after severe symptoms for my entire life including OCD induced anorexia nervosa at 15. I was finally correctly diagnosed as my pathological thoughts only calmed down after its administration by my (at the time new) psychiatrist and increase to maximum dose for my size”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder