User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"For those who has been having anemia or low blood pressure problem (esp ladies), Quetiapine lowered blood pressure and blood sugar level and that causes me feel light-headed, dizziness, fainting spell and developed slight vertigo. Check your blood pressure and discuss with your doctor before taking Quetiapine. I've stopped taking it for more than 1 week and my symptoms of dizziness and fainting spells slowly subsided."

Geok57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been through every sleep aid in existence. None worked. They started me on 50mg which didn't work. Long story short.. I take 800mg at night around 10pm and fall asleep after about an hour or so. I wake up ready to go about 6am usually. I started experiencing withdrawals mid day. It was as bad as coming off benzos which is an absolute horror story but I was suffering and my Dr felt it was due to seroquels half life so I started taking 400mg mid morning and that helped. Some days I have to sleep after the 400mg dose and others I don't. This medication has helped me in many ways. It's helped my anxiety and sleep however I have gained 40lbs which is disturbing. I'm currently trying to lose weight. I don't want to give this med up."

Jesseslilbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me sleepy, but sleep was still elusive. These drugs made me so constipated, even laxatives couldn't get things moving."

Rainbow Flaps (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't take this medication! I gained 45lbs on it, I would sleep-eat and now its been a nightmare trying to lose the weight. absolutely awful."

Merbearrrrr (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Seroquel/Quatiapine for several years for chronic insomnia. I take 50-100 mg 2 hours before bedtime. It is the ONLY thing that has helped me sleep through the night. Periodically a new doc will try the latest sedative on me. The latest was Bellsra. A distill failure that cost me two weeks of sleep. I have Fibromyalgia so lack of sleep leads to a major pain flare up. I'm coping with that still 3 weeks later. I've recently started 5HTP and Kavinace Ultra supplements. I'm hoping to wean myself off Seroquel because the weight gain SUCKS!"

KYS (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No issues but worried about recent articles of secondary usage."

Bananana (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have gave quitiapine 5 stars as it definitely allows me to sleep right through the night. But I have been on it for 15 years and still experience dreadful side effects. I have reduced from taking 800mg in the morning to 300mg in the morning yet in the evening and the morning I can barely function and am tired and groggy all day. I have tried to take it earlier and earlier in the evening in the hope of having less side effects in the morning but nothing works. Plus it gives me the appetite of a racehorse. I also have nasty withdrawal symptoms whenever I try to taper off completely. For me this drug is a necessary evil and I really wish I didn't have to take it."

Jam jar (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take quetiapine for my insomnia, within the first 30 mins of taking it my body starts to tingle like a warning that I'm about to sleep. I climb into bed get really groggy and sleep. The next day is always horrible after taking the pill. I'm tired all day, it's hard to wake up for school. I don't want to do anything but sleep. I recommend you take this pill when you know you don't have to wake up too early."

Yoyo12345 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on diazepam for nearly 10 years to treat on my insomnia and recently got told I had to stop it, the withdrawal symptoms of benzo is not joke!! I suffer severe anxiety, panic, fear and feeling very depressed during benzo tapering process. As usual insomnia remains as my major issue while still having to deal with withdrawal from benzo. My psychiatrist prescribed me with quetiapine 25mg (not a high dose) together with benzo (benzo have been decreasing as I am on tapering process) I am amazed on how this drug helps! After around 45min of taking 25mg of quetiapine together with 4mg of diazepam. I am managed to sleep through out a solid 9 hours!! It's But the side effect for me is having migraine when I awake, but worth it compare to insomnia!"

Geok57 May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am currently on 25mg taken 2 hours before bed for insomnia. I have found it to be very sedating and sleep for the entire night. On the first night, around the 2 hour mark after taking, I was not able to function properly. Cleaning my teeth and preparing my clothes for the morning was a big effort. Light headedness and dizzy. I have noticed others have had intense dreams/nightmares while on this medication and I did too. The following day, I feel lethargic and drained despite a full night sleep. I have rated it a 7 because it certainly works to relieve my insomnia, but the cluster of side effects are frustrating. I would recommend trying it for the first time when you have the following days free and are not working and adjusting."

Cherry_cola April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on quetiapine for years for bipolar. I started having really. Bad problems with sleeping. They upped my dose a few times, now I'm on 600 mg and still having trouble getting asleep. I've been on so many pills for sleep and nothing has worked, I'm running out of choices, getting really irritated, I need sleep"

Missylee1970 (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So relieved to have found this. I've been suffering with inconsistent sleep/insomnia for months because of severe anxiety. I've been on Prozac for six weeks which is also known to worsen/induce insomnia in early stages. Tried benzos like Diazepam, which of course were helping, but obviously was only prescribed them for a couple of days at a time due to addictive properties. Doctor suggested Seroquel at a low dose (25mg) at night for sleep and it worked wonders immediately. Within a week I have found that I now need 50-75mg for adequate sleep though, but the doctor is fine with me using up to 100mg for sleep, particularly as I'm not using it during the day. No nasty side effects but has made my appetite return with a vengeance!"

Heidi90 April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've used seroquel for 15 years for insomnia. I wasn't able to use Ambien because I would sleep walk. The only thing that I don't like about seroquel is that I "sleep eat". I will not remember that I have done so until I see a drop of jam and bread crumbs on the kitchen counter. So, I've gained a bit of weight, unfortunately, even though I'm quite active."

Freyja Mojen April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Seroquel (quietiapine) 25mg twice daily for insomnia induced by extreme anxiety. Took it for the first time last night (along with 10mg Ambien as suggested by doc, which wasn't helping alone) around an hour before bed, and had the best sleep I've ever had. 11 hours straight through the night. Woke up quite groggy and sleepy, but it was a first time miracle for me. Took my morning 25mg dose again and slept for another six hours... think my body is catching up on all the sleep I've lost over the last couple months. I'm hungry again too, and actually had quite a bit to eat (while I've been awake for small bursts). Might try not taking the morning dose tomorrow as I don't want to be sleeping all day every."

KatyyyFR April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Dr.s say there is no withdrawal from seroquel but I know there is! Every time they raise or lower, or take away all together I have days with no sleep, cold sweats, feelings of being overly alert. Thats how I feel when I am completely taken off."

Lexus95 April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well, I've been taking quetiapine for insomnia since last week. It did not solve my sleep problems. In fact, in the early days it was more complicated to sleep with my head full of thoughts. Since then, I continue to sleep and wake up very early in the morning. I started on 25 mg, going on to 50 mg, then 75 mg and now 100 mg. For the first two days, I felt a lot of sedation during the day. But now nothing else and still continues sleep problems."

Aimberê Timbal (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Brintellix for depression after denying it for a year & insomnia that got even worse; I get 2-3hrs sleep max which is rare. Accidentally took 25mg if Seroquel instead of half, I went from insomnia to hypersomnia in 1 night! Got up high & dizzy. Not cute when you're the one taking care of ICU patients "

Makan March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been suffering from major depression disorder, PTSD, and anxiety for a while now, I take 225mg of Effexor which is supposed to help with anxiety, in my case it doesn't. It does help with the depression. My anxiety it terrible and leaves me up for almost 3 days at a time. I'm on 0.5mg of klonopin 3 times and day (does not make me tired) so my Dr recently prescribed me quetiapine 100mg at night to sleep and that was way too much, I'd sleep for like 12-13 hours a night , now I take 25mg and it works ok. Only side effect is that if I don't fall asleep fast enough after taking it, it causes restless leg syndrome which is another nightmare in itself. nothing else seems to work so I'll stick with it for now."

Alyssmiss (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After suffering with undiagnosed bipolar for many years until recently being diagnosed and prescribed quetiapine 50 mg daily. It knocks me out for at least 8/9 hours so half my days gone if I take them at night I still don't sleep weird I know - but I can't wake up properly from them :/ good to block everything out but my days go"

nath93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seroquel really helps me with insomnia when nothing else will. I've tried several other medications and natural remedies, but none came close to the effectiveness of seroquel. I try to take just half of a 25 mg tablet per night - as little as possible to put me down. The only bad thing about seroquel for me is 30-1 hour of taking it I'm starving!! I eat so much if I don't fall asleep first. I try to keep lots of raw veggies and fruit for snacking in case I can't contain myself. So worth the sleep though."

Lucie8484512 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had trouble sleeping for a few years now. I've tried: ambien, klonopin, trazadone, Ativan, melatonin, chamomile tea, I think that's it? Well so far, it's been a week, 50mg seroquel helps me sleep through the night. Even when I wake up to use the restroom, or have a midnight snack, I'm able to fall back asleep, unlike all the other meds I've tried. I also take 100mg sertraline at night, 300 mg bupropion in the morning, and sometimes 20mg adderall on days I need to study a lot. I also drink one cup of coffee in the morning. So far, no side effects, and no drug interactions. I think seroquel has a good future as a sleep aid. :) Sincerely, 4th year med student"

s.a.m. March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the only med that actually helps me sleep. I had tried melatonin, zopiclone, lorazepam and temazepam, as well as every natural remedy I could get my hands on and then my doctor suggested quetiapine. I take 25mg about an hour before going to sleep and usually by the time I climb into bed I can hardly keep my eyes open. I'm also taking bupropion (which is technically contraindicated with quetiapine) which may be why I feel so sedated on such a low dose. The only downside is that I don't fully wake up from it until I've been physically awake for at least an hour and it makes me really thirsty. But that's a small price to pay for getting a good sleep after struggling for years. Also it makes orgasms less intense for me which sucks!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking heroin on a regular basis for a year, I couldn't sleep properly at night, insomnia and depression were the worst, until my doctor prescribed me quetiapine fumarate 200mg tabs, I sleep like a baby now 8-11 hours without any morning after effects, also helped me a lot to get out of depression"

Imdad Ali (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Starting 50mg of quetiapine fumarat, and 50mg of sertraline for the first time tonight. I have had constant anxiety for about a month. Heart races mind races, trouble sleeping sometimes I don't sleep at all. Had trouble eating, lost 10 pounds that I couldn't afford to lose. Bad headaches, even stomach pain and diarrhea. Crying a lot, feeling stressed about everything. Has anyone taken these two meds together? Even having anxiety about starting these meds."

very nervous February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Quetiapine 25mg after my husband passed away as I could not go to sleep. My mind would always race. Once on quetiapine I sleep well... I still have the problem of racing mind but as long as I take the pill I am good. I also wake up with no problem. It has been a life saver."

pebbles1962 January 31, 2017