User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"I have severe insomnia due to an anxiety disability. I'm lucky if I sleep 5 hours in a week without medication. Started on 25mg, doctor told me to be careful about taking more cause it may put me down for a while. Doctor is now understanding the extent of my anxiety as I take 400mg a night to sleep. I dream a lot, but otherwise am sleeping much better and longer. Definitely needed this and it works well. Obviously my dosage is not average."

Danny93 February 18, 2018

"Love this medication. I take 12.5 - 25 mg seroquel at night 1-2 hours before bed. I've struggled with sleep problems my whole life (in my early thirties now). This has been the best sleep I've ever had since I started taking it 3 years ago. I found that the 25 mg full tab was too strong with me, so now I usually just cut the tablet in half and it works great. I also take 200 mg lamictal and 10 mg adderall ER in the morning for my mood disorder and ADD. I haven't had any negative side effects from adding the seroquel. No weight gain, no diabetes, no RLS. I am surprised by some of the articles I've read saying seroquel is not safe/effective for treating insomnia. Maybe they need to try a lower dose for some people? I can't say enough good things about it."

NV (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

"Worked a little too well, slept 20 hours. I thought this was prescribed for psychosis but my pdoc said it was for sleep. I'd recommend it if you have severe insomnia but otherwise not. Quite a bit of weight gain too."

moadej (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"The quetiapine helped me to sleep but it also gain weight and high sugar level every morning, since I'm a diabetes patient I can't have quetiapine raise my glucose in my body. So I stopped it, keeping my glucose at a reasonable level is a lot more important that sleep."

Luasi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"KEEP AWAY! Highly effective, BUT highly DANGEROUS (cannot emphasize enough). I was on only 50mg as needed for just a month. I usually slept about 7-8 hours, occasionally 9-10. Thought it was a miracle! But I had acute akathisia (severe restlessness) each time I took it. Now weeks after stopping, I now am stuck with tardive dyskinesia in the tongue, jaw, eyes, and fingers, and tardive, potentially chronic akathisia, that has made the initial problem of insomnia far worse, quite ironically. Every solution so far, Vitamin B6, Propanolol, and Benadryl, to treat the restlessness has worked for only a short period. Will have to see what the Psych. prescribes next. At the age of 19, hopefully my life won't be ruined by Big Pharma before it even started."

COLLEGE-STUDENT (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"I started on 25mg which knocked me out for 12 hours then after a few months had to go up to 50mg and now up to 75mg it works wonders for me other then my body getting use to it"

Phoes February 5, 2018

"I was prescribed trazodone originally for sleep. It was effective at first, but when my anxiety and depression got worse, it wasn't helping with my sleep issues. My doctor then prescribed 50 mg Quetiapine fumarate (Seroquel) for sleep, and I have been sleeping better and longer. If you get up during the night, you may feel woozy so be careful."

Baubie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"A very calming and relaxing drowsiness from 50mg about an hour after dosing."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

"After being on trazodone and that having a half/half success rate, my prescriber put me on 50mg of quetiapine nightly. It completely calms me before bed, gives me at least 8 hours of sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

"A psychiatrist prescribed this me after I expressed that I was having an incredibly hard time sleeping due to anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it. I couldn't feel any emotions for the remainder of the day. I felt drunk. When I tried to fall asleep, I'd get this "electric shock" feeling every five minutes and jolt awake. Unless you're having severe problems, or you're experiencing hallucinations or delusions, I wouldn't recommend taking this to anyone. And I wouldn't recommend taking it for anxiety or depression."

nicolexo January 7, 2018

"Been on seroquel for about 5 months ,it works great ,finally can get a good night sleep. I also used Lunesta as needed, but don't take it too often, but seroquel works good for the most part."

detour12 January 4, 2018

"Doctor put me on seroquel to help me sleep, and lessen the effects of Cymbalta withdrawal (decreased from 60mg to 30mg at the same time I added 25mg seroquel). Has been about two weeks now. Seemed to be great at first, made me sleep earlier, and made my vivid dreams less terrifying, didn't turn me into a zombie like some people, and even lowered my anxiety (I think). Now I'm experiencing dark thoughts more often and more intensely than I'm used to. It has helped me get on with things in daily life, but I worry the existential dread. I am also more "grayed out" than usual; I complete my tasks and hobbies, but they don't fulfill me as much as they did only two weeks ago."

uniquenicknamessuck December 31, 2017

"Edited: I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks on 25mg. It has been a life saver, I finally get a full night sleep without waking up and when I do wake up in the morning I am rested and refreshed sometimes a bit groggy but doesn’t last long at all. I suffer insomnia due to anxiety and highly recommend this medication. I have also had zero side effects. Sleeping is my main priority as insomnia and anxiety has had a major impact on my life and being able to sleep has helped me improve overall. I have seen some reviews regarding side effects, hunger etc, I haven’t noticed a difference but I’m always hungry haha, I also exercise so weight gain isn’t a worry for me so I advise doing that if your hunger increases. Yes to seroquel!!!"

Kaysrose (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"good for knocking me out, and mostly for keeping me asleep during stressful times: divorce, IRS Audit,etc"

MMHjkjkjlj December 11, 2017

"I have been on 25mg of Quetiapine for about a month and and half and I don't like it one bit, Although I do fall asleep about 30-90 min after taking it. I have had very real and very scary dreams that are almost nightmarish. I have gained some weight from it and I don't like that at all .I have tried so many other medicines and I didn't like them due to the fact of making me feel drunk. So now I have to talk to the dr and see what is going on, I don't like the nightmares they are so scary and I thought it was going good and then all the sudden they hit me like a ton of bricks I have woken up screaming at night because of this medicine."

bensmomma (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

"I have bipolar 1 disorder and though I manage my condition with lithium, I have trouble getting to sleep at night which leads me to insomnia which ultimately leads to manic episodes. I take between 12.5-25 mg a night of the seroquel and it works within about 45 minutes or an hour. It puts me right to sleep. It's the only medication that has ever consistently worked on putting me to sleep. I feel a little bit groggy in the morning sometimes if I take 25 mg. Also it increases my appetite at night. I've probably put on a little bit of weight because of my snacking but it's so worth it to me."

Bipolar184 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

"I have major depression and ADD. I started to not be able to sleep when I started taking concerta for my ADD. So the doctor prescribed me quetiapine. A while afterwards I went off of my concerta because I realized that it was the reason I was so cranky. I have also been taking venlafaxine for years for my depression. When I take quetiapine I sleep through the night and when I don’t take it I don’t sleep at all. I rely on this so much it scares me. A few days ago I lost my pill bottle and I have only slept for a total of five hours in four days. I made me gain about 30 pounds. It also makes me constipated so I am on a high fibre diet."

Humanpharmacy (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 7, 2017

"Had insomnia for years, due to anxiety and mild panic attacks, also complicated by dystonic tremor in my neck, head constantly twitches, even when lying down. On a good night was getting 5 or 6 hours broken sleep. Tried several meds, nothing helped. Doctor suggested quetiapine, I was a bit reluctant as its such a strong drug but desperate enough to give a try. I'm finally sleeping through every night! Very constipated when I first started but came right after a few weeks. Also wake up feeling groggy but am fine once I'm up. No problems with weight gain. Using 25mg but thinking about cutting down to 12.5mg. Love being able to sleep!"

insomnianomore (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

"First time I was prescribed quetiapine, when I was going through a really bad period (life problems, depression), it did not help me a thing. Was put on sleeping meds to get through the toughest time. My doc returned me on it now much later when I started having problems to sleep a normal night, instead it was like 2-3-4 hours. Now the dose is 100-200, it ensures I can sleep 8-10 hours and return to sleep if woken up."

Andilv December 1, 2017

"I got this drug for my depression and anxiety. I'm taking 25mg in the night. It makes me sleepy in 30 to 90 minutes. I feel groogy in the morning. It makes me sleep good, dreams are vivid sometimes. Bed thing is that groggy feeling during the next day. No weight gain yet. But I'm using it only for a month now."

pauk21 (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

"By far the best sleep medication I've ever taken. I take 400-500 mg approximately 2 hours before bed. It's a very deep, restful sleep. I was very scared to take this because I've had bad reactions to a few other medications. I took Remeron for sleep, and that would give me a very strange head the next day. I remember I used to have a lot of false awakenings on that stuff. Trazodone was similar -- I used to feel utterly horrible the next day. Seroquel is good."

Sleepy Jim November 18, 2017

"This medication does make me feel drowsy but doesn't let me sleep. In fact it seems to promote Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for me. Since it doesn't give me a good nights rest, I feel real groggy in the morning."

74256274 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

"I was prescribed this after diagnosis of PTSD & anxiety waking me up during the night and always having difficulty falling back asleep. I take a 1/4 to 1/2 of 25mg tab (I'm 5ft6 130lbs) and I feel the effects of tingling legs and drowsiness after about 30 min. Sleep 8-9h/night and can wake up with noises (husbands alarm, dog moving around) as I'm a light sleeper but always fall back asleep. I've tried melatonin, gravol, benadryl and this is the best. No side effects so far...!"

Dontliketakingmeds (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

"I love this med. I suffer from major depression so I use Zoloft to perk me up and Seroquel to calm me down at night. I am on the lowest dose prescribed. The side effects I notice are congestion and chills. I am trying to lose weight so I am thankful to not have intense hunger. I take a while to fall asleep and once I am Seroquel does a great job of keeping me asleep. No more anxiety attacks at night!"

Starsbananas October 31, 2017

"Works wonderfully as the only night medication (25mg). I fall asleep after 30 mins, no hang-over, I wake up feeling great, clear, rested! However when I don't take I pass the night sleepless, its really frustrating and it worries me a lot."

Rufo (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2017