User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"I've been using this for sleep and 50mg sure has helped me!! Even if I wake up I can get right back to sleep"

DEE W (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I have found this to be one of the best sleep aids. Because I do not start work until 11 I don't have to worry about being groggy at work. I do get a metallic taste in my mouth and think that is what causes me to feel hungry so I make sure not to be tricked and eat but instead munch on something healthy and have not noticed any weight gain doing that. My mood is also definitely lifted when I wake up and I feel energetic during the day"

JaniceExploring (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"This dug was a majorn no in my book. I took it for about 5 weeks for insomnia (which is off label and therefore isn't passed by the FDA for this condition). All I can say is yes, it helped me sleep but I work early mornings so I felt extremely groggy for most of the day that didn't wear off much unless I took a nap. This cycle continued. That part wasn't so bad. The part that was bad was the amount of weight I gained in the 5 weeks taking it. 14 pounds. I've been 114bl on a 5'1 frame for 4 years after battling anorexia and hitting my low of 93 pounds. Guess what? Found out this medicine is also to treat anorexia. After my doctor told me weight gain wasn't an issue with this drug. I will never take this drug again for uses that aren't FDA approved. I'm going back to Lunesta 3mg. The only thing bad with that was loss of appetite and a weird taste in my mouth. That I can handle.. being 131ish pounds after being a steady 114 is not. Goodbye nasty nasty seroquel. - do not recommend"

Dareee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2018

"I have lifelong serious insomnia associated with atypical Bipolar I disorder. I had been making do for years with various benzos like Zolpidem but sleep length and quality were not great. So on Jan 1, 2018, at my internist's plea, I began taking 25 mgs per night of Seroquel generic. I immediately began experiencing the best sleep of my life, night after night. The only side effects thus far are heavy night sweats and it seems to be more challenging to stay at my normal weight than before I started taking it. I just read an article about the serious possible side effects (heart arythmia, diabetes and tardive dyskenesia, in particular) and I hope to never experience them, as this is an amazing sleep aid for me. I take no other medications regularly except Synthroid for low thyroid."

Libra Girl March 31, 2018

"Maybe seven years ago I developed severe insomnia. I was given different meds for sleep but still kept waking up at two AM. My doctor said to try quetiapine 25 mg. It really worked. I started to try half a pill and it worked as well. I usually sleep great and feel fine in the morning. My cup of English tea helps. I have had no problems and have not gained any weight. I have actually lost weight. I am 71 and I do not care if I need to take it the rest of my life. I have had no side effects and I sleep well."

Don (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2018

"This works quite well for me. I have been taking it for about 7 months. I started at 50mg, but dropped to 25mg to reduce morning grog. It does help with going to sleep and staying asleep. It does lower my resistance to stop eating at night, but I am not sure it causes weight gain directly. I still have some groggy feelings upon waking but they go away pretty quickly. It is very hard to sleep without it, but that is the point of taking it. Overall thumbs up!"

Potato head (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2018

"I've been taking this for years after finding stillnox has stopped working and was adding to my depression. I find that if I fight the sleepy feeling (by trying to squeeze in an extra episode of the latest thing I'm watching on Netflix) then I get Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and struggle then to get to sleep so I sometimes have to take another pill. I take 50mg. I started on 25 but had to go up to 50mg and only rarely do I need to take an extra one. I never get the hungover feeling that I did from other sleep medicines and I function well the next day after sleeping easily. My only suggestion is never to forget it or run out or you won't sleep at all."

dyna (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2018

"I have been on this med for over six years. Let me tell you will find nothing better for sleep. I take 50 mg. The down fall is I can't sleep without it , and once when I stopped for two weeks, I developed a huge rash and almost had to be hospitialized."

Kern (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2018

"I have severe insomnia due to an anxiety disability. I'm lucky if I sleep 5 hours in a week without medication. Started on 25mg, doctor told me to be careful about taking more cause it may put me down for a while. Doctor is now understanding the extent of my anxiety as I take 400mg a night to sleep. I dream a lot, but otherwise am sleeping much better and longer. Definitely needed this and it works well. Obviously my dosage is not average."

Danny93 February 18, 2018

"Love this medication. I take 12.5 - 25 mg seroquel at night 1-2 hours before bed. I've struggled with sleep problems my whole life (in my early thirties now). This has been the best sleep I've ever had since I started taking it 3 years ago. I found that the 25 mg full tab was too strong with me, so now I usually just cut the tablet in half and it works great. I also take 200 mg lamictal and 10 mg adderall ER in the morning for my mood disorder and ADD. I haven't had any negative side effects from adding the seroquel. No weight gain, no diabetes, no RLS. I am surprised by some of the articles I've read saying seroquel is not safe/effective for treating insomnia. Maybe they need to try a lower dose for some people? I can't say enough good things about it."

NV (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

"Worked a little too well, slept 20 hours. I thought this was prescribed for psychosis but my pdoc said it was for sleep. I'd recommend it if you have severe insomnia but otherwise not. Quite a bit of weight gain too."

moadej (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"The quetiapine helped me to sleep but it also gain weight and high sugar level every morning, since I'm a diabetes patient I can't have quetiapine raise my glucose in my body. So I stopped it, keeping my glucose at a reasonable level is a lot more important that sleep."

Luasi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"KEEP AWAY! Highly effective, BUT highly DANGEROUS (cannot emphasize enough). I was on only 50mg as needed for just a month. I usually slept about 7-8 hours, occasionally 9-10. Thought it was a miracle! But I had acute akathisia (severe restlessness) each time I took it. Now weeks after stopping, I now am stuck with tardive dyskinesia in the tongue, jaw, eyes, and fingers, and tardive, potentially chronic akathisia, that has made the initial problem of insomnia far worse, quite ironically. Every solution so far, Vitamin B6, Propanolol, and Benadryl, to treat the restlessness has worked for only a short period. Will have to see what the Psych. prescribes next. At the age of 19, hopefully my life won't be ruined by Big Pharma before it even started."

COLLEGE-STUDENT (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"I started on 25mg which knocked me out for 12 hours then after a few months had to go up to 50mg and now up to 75mg it works wonders for me other then my body getting use to it"

Phoes February 5, 2018

"I was prescribed trazodone originally for sleep. It was effective at first, but when my anxiety and depression got worse, it wasn't helping with my sleep issues. My doctor then prescribed 50 mg Quetiapine fumarate (Seroquel) for sleep, and I have been sleeping better and longer. If you get up during the night, you may feel woozy so be careful."

Baubie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"A very calming and relaxing drowsiness from 50mg about an hour after dosing."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

"After being on trazodone and that having a half/half success rate, my prescriber put me on 50mg of quetiapine nightly. It completely calms me before bed, gives me at least 8 hours of sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

"A psychiatrist prescribed this me after I expressed that I was having an incredibly hard time sleeping due to anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it. I couldn't feel any emotions for the remainder of the day. I felt drunk. When I tried to fall asleep, I'd get this "electric shock" feeling every five minutes and jolt awake. Unless you're having severe problems, or you're experiencing hallucinations or delusions, I wouldn't recommend taking this to anyone. And I wouldn't recommend taking it for anxiety or depression."

nicolexo January 7, 2018

"Been on seroquel for about 5 months ,it works great ,finally can get a good night sleep. I also used Lunesta as needed, but don't take it too often, but seroquel works good for the most part."

detour12 January 4, 2018

"Doctor put me on seroquel to help me sleep, and lessen the effects of Cymbalta withdrawal (decreased from 60mg to 30mg at the same time I added 25mg seroquel). Has been about two weeks now. Seemed to be great at first, made me sleep earlier, and made my vivid dreams less terrifying, didn't turn me into a zombie like some people, and even lowered my anxiety (I think). Now I'm experiencing dark thoughts more often and more intensely than I'm used to. It has helped me get on with things in daily life, but I worry the existential dread. I am also more "grayed out" than usual; I complete my tasks and hobbies, but they don't fulfill me as much as they did only two weeks ago."

uniquenicknamessuck December 31, 2017

"Edited: I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks on 25mg. It has been a life saver, I finally get a full night sleep without waking up and when I do wake up in the morning I am rested and refreshed sometimes a bit groggy but doesn’t last long at all. I suffer insomnia due to anxiety and highly recommend this medication. I have also had zero side effects. Sleeping is my main priority as insomnia and anxiety has had a major impact on my life and being able to sleep has helped me improve overall. I have seen some reviews regarding side effects, hunger etc, I haven’t noticed a difference but I’m always hungry haha, I also exercise so weight gain isn’t a worry for me so I advise doing that if your hunger increases. Yes to seroquel!!!"

Kaysrose (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"good for knocking me out, and mostly for keeping me asleep during stressful times: divorce, IRS Audit,etc"

MMHjkjkjlj December 11, 2017

"I have been on 25mg of Quetiapine for about a month and and half and I don't like it one bit, Although I do fall asleep about 30-90 min after taking it. I have had very real and very scary dreams that are almost nightmarish. I have gained some weight from it and I don't like that at all .I have tried so many other medicines and I didn't like them due to the fact of making me feel drunk. So now I have to talk to the dr and see what is going on, I don't like the nightmares they are so scary and I thought it was going good and then all the sudden they hit me like a ton of bricks I have woken up screaming at night because of this medicine."

bensmomma (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

"I have bipolar 1 disorder and though I manage my condition with lithium, I have trouble getting to sleep at night which leads me to insomnia which ultimately leads to manic episodes. I take between 12.5-25 mg a night of the seroquel and it works within about 45 minutes or an hour. It puts me right to sleep. It's the only medication that has ever consistently worked on putting me to sleep. I feel a little bit groggy in the morning sometimes if I take 25 mg. Also it increases my appetite at night. I've probably put on a little bit of weight because of my snacking but it's so worth it to me."

Bipolar184 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

"I have major depression and ADD. I started to not be able to sleep when I started taking concerta for my ADD. So the doctor prescribed me quetiapine. A while afterwards I went off of my concerta because I realized that it was the reason I was so cranky. I have also been taking venlafaxine for years for my depression. When I take quetiapine I sleep through the night and when I don’t take it I don’t sleep at all. I rely on this so much it scares me. A few days ago I lost my pill bottle and I have only slept for a total of five hours in four days. I made me gain about 30 pounds. It also makes me constipated so I am on a high fibre diet."

Humanpharmacy (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 7, 2017