User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"I have gave quitiapine 5 stars as it definitely allows me to sleep right through the night. But I have been on it for 15 years and still experience dreadful side effects. I have reduced from taking 800mg in the morning to 300mg in the morning yet in the evening and the morning I can barely function and am tired and groggy all day. I have tried to take it earlier and earlier in the evening in the hope of having less side effects in the morning but nothing works. Plus it gives me the appetite of a racehorse. I also have nasty withdrawal symptoms whenever I try to taper off completely. For me this drug is a necessary evil and I really wish I didn't have to take it."

Jam jar (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take quetiapine for my insomnia, within the first 30 mins of taking it my body starts to tingle like a warning that I'm about to sleep. I climb into bed get really groggy and sleep. The next day is always horrible after taking the pill. I'm tired all day, it's hard to wake up for school. I don't want to do anything but sleep. I recommend you take this pill when you know you don't have to wake up too early."

Yoyo12345 May 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on diazepam for nearly 10 years to treat on my insomnia and recently got told I had to stop it, the withdrawal symptoms of benzo is not joke!! I suffer severe anxiety, panic, fear and feeling very depressed during benzo tapering process. As usual insomnia remains as my major issue while still having to deal with withdrawal from benzo. My psychiatrist prescribed me with quetiapine 25mg (not a high dose) together with benzo (benzo have been decreasing as I am on tapering process) I am amazed on how this drug helps! After around 45min of taking 25mg of quetiapine together with 4mg of diazepam. I am managed to sleep through out a solid 9 hours!! It's But the side effect for me is having migraine when I awake, but worth it compare to insomnia!"

Geok57 May 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am currently on 25mg taken 2 hours before bed for insomnia. I have found it to be very sedating and sleep for the entire night. On the first night, around the 2 hour mark after taking, I was not able to function properly. Cleaning my teeth and preparing my clothes for the morning was a big effort. Light headedness and dizzy. I have noticed others have had intense dreams/nightmares while on this medication and I did too. The following day, I feel lethargic and drained despite a full night sleep. I have rated it a 7 because it certainly works to relieve my insomnia, but the cluster of side effects are frustrating. I would recommend trying it for the first time when you have the following days free and are not working and adjusting."

Cherry_cola April 23, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on quetiapine for years for bipolar. I started having really. Bad problems with sleeping. They upped my dose a few times, now I'm on 600 mg and still having trouble getting asleep. I've been on so many pills for sleep and nothing has worked, I'm running out of choices, getting really irritated, I need sleep"

Missylee1970 (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So relieved to have found this. I've been suffering with inconsistent sleep/insomnia for months because of severe anxiety. I've been on Prozac for six weeks which is also known to worsen/induce insomnia in early stages. Tried benzos like Diazepam, which of course were helping, but obviously was only prescribed them for a couple of days at a time due to addictive properties. Doctor suggested Seroquel at a low dose (25mg) at night for sleep and it worked wonders immediately. Within a week I have found that I now need 50-75mg for adequate sleep though, but the doctor is fine with me using up to 100mg for sleep, particularly as I'm not using it during the day. No nasty side effects but has made my appetite return with a vengeance!"

Heidi90 April 18, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've used seroquel for 15 years for insomnia. I wasn't able to use Ambien because I would sleep walk. The only thing that I don't like about seroquel is that I "sleep eat". I will not remember that I have done so until I see a drop of jam and bread crumbs on the kitchen counter. So, I've gained a bit of weight, unfortunately, even though I'm quite active."

Freyja Mojen April 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Seroquel (quietiapine) 25mg twice daily for insomnia induced by extreme anxiety. Took it for the first time last night (along with 10mg Ambien as suggested by doc, which wasn't helping alone) around an hour before bed, and had the best sleep I've ever had. 11 hours straight through the night. Woke up quite groggy and sleepy, but it was a first time miracle for me. Took my morning 25mg dose again and slept for another six hours... think my body is catching up on all the sleep I've lost over the last couple months. I'm hungry again too, and actually had quite a bit to eat (while I've been awake for small bursts). Might try not taking the morning dose tomorrow as I don't want to be sleeping all day every."

KatyyyFR April 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The Dr.s say there is no withdrawal from seroquel but I know there is! Every time they raise or lower, or take away all together I have days with no sleep, cold sweats, feelings of being overly alert. Thats how I feel when I am completely taken off."

Lexus95 April 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well, I've been taking quetiapine for insomnia since last week. It did not solve my sleep problems. In fact, in the early days it was more complicated to sleep with my head full of thoughts. Since then, I continue to sleep and wake up very early in the morning. I started on 25 mg, going on to 50 mg, then 75 mg and now 100 mg. For the first two days, I felt a lot of sedation during the day. But now nothing else and still continues sleep problems."

Aimberê Timbal (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Brintellix for depression after denying it for a year & insomnia that got even worse; I get 2-3hrs sleep max which is rare. Accidentally took 25mg if Seroquel instead of half, I went from insomnia to hypersomnia in 1 night! Got up high & dizzy. Not cute when you're the one taking care of ICU patients "

Makan March 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been suffering from major depression disorder, PTSD, and anxiety for a while now, I take 225mg of Effexor which is supposed to help with anxiety, in my case it doesn't. It does help with the depression. My anxiety it terrible and leaves me up for almost 3 days at a time. I'm on 0.5mg of klonopin 3 times and day (does not make me tired) so my Dr recently prescribed me quetiapine 100mg at night to sleep and that was way too much, I'd sleep for like 12-13 hours a night , now I take 25mg and it works ok. Only side effect is that if I don't fall asleep fast enough after taking it, it causes restless leg syndrome which is another nightmare in itself. nothing else seems to work so I'll stick with it for now."

Alyssmiss (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After suffering with undiagnosed bipolar for many years until recently being diagnosed and prescribed quetiapine 50 mg daily. It knocks me out for at least 8/9 hours so half my days gone if I take them at night I still don't sleep weird I know - but I can't wake up properly from them :/ good to block everything out but my days go"

nath93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seroquel really helps me with insomnia when nothing else will. I've tried several other medications and natural remedies, but none came close to the effectiveness of seroquel. I try to take just half of a 25 mg tablet per night - as little as possible to put me down. The only bad thing about seroquel for me is 30-1 hour of taking it I'm starving!! I eat so much if I don't fall asleep first. I try to keep lots of raw veggies and fruit for snacking in case I can't contain myself. So worth the sleep though."

Lucie8484512 March 6, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had trouble sleeping for a few years now. I've tried: ambien, klonopin, trazadone, Ativan, melatonin, chamomile tea, I think that's it? Well so far, it's been a week, 50mg seroquel helps me sleep through the night. Even when I wake up to use the restroom, or have a midnight snack, I'm able to fall back asleep, unlike all the other meds I've tried. I also take 100mg sertraline at night, 300 mg bupropion in the morning, and sometimes 20mg adderall on days I need to study a lot. I also drink one cup of coffee in the morning. So far, no side effects, and no drug interactions. I think seroquel has a good future as a sleep aid. :) Sincerely, 4th year med student"

s.a.m. March 6, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only med that actually helps me sleep. I had tried melatonin, zopiclone, lorazepam and temazepam, as well as every natural remedy I could get my hands on and then my doctor suggested quetiapine. I take 25mg about an hour before going to sleep and usually by the time I climb into bed I can hardly keep my eyes open. I'm also taking bupropion (which is technically contraindicated with quetiapine) which may be why I feel so sedated on such a low dose. The only downside is that I don't fully wake up from it until I've been physically awake for at least an hour and it makes me really thirsty. But that's a small price to pay for getting a good sleep after struggling for years. Also it makes orgasms less intense for me which sucks!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking heroin on a regular basis for a year, I couldn't sleep properly at night, insomnia and depression were the worst, until my doctor prescribed me quetiapine fumarate 200mg tabs, I sleep like a baby now 8-11 hours without any morning after effects, also helped me a lot to get out of depression"

Imdad Ali (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Starting 50mg of quetiapine fumarat, and 50mg of sertraline for the first time tonight. I have had constant anxiety for about a month. Heart races mind races, trouble sleeping sometimes I don't sleep at all. Had trouble eating, lost 10 pounds that I couldn't afford to lose. Bad headaches, even stomach pain and diarrhea. Crying a lot, feeling stressed about everything. Has anyone taken these two meds together? Even having anxiety about starting these meds."

very nervous February 9, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Quetiapine 25mg after my husband passed away as I could not go to sleep. My mind would always race. Once on quetiapine I sleep well... I still have the problem of racing mind but as long as I take the pill I am good. I also wake up with no problem. It has been a life saver."

pebbles1962 January 31, 2017

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used to take the stimulant alertec for my narcolepsy to help me stay awake but a new doctor took me off it and put me on Seroquel in hopes it would help me sleep better which in turn would help me be more rested during the day it has been a godsend been on it for over a year I take 50 mg after dinner sleep like a baby before would wake up and then couldn't fall back to sleep for a long time now can fall back to sleep after needing the toilet no problem"

hitemwithein (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had not slept more than three hours a night for three years due to bipolar, anxiety and depression , aggravated by life problems. This medication at 25 mg lets me sleep 8 to 10 hours but only if I take it right before turning out the light and only of it's quiet and everyone else is in bed. Otherwise it doesn't work, I don't sleep and I spend the next day "hungover." So get ready for bed, read your book, close your door, take the pill and enjoy. It's changed my life and given me a new chance."

Ursula B January 17, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I struggled for years with not only insomnia, but waking up several times thru the night when I would fall asleep (usually anywhere ftom 2-3 hours after going to bed and laying there with everything from bills to elementry school friends and worrying about my son). Many many times I would dose off then after sleeping an hour or so, wake up wide eyed and bushy tailed as if I had gotten a full 8 hours of sleep. I would do this several times a night then fall into a deep REM sleep right before the alarm went off. This action made me extremely tired, cranky, and totally unmotivated the whole next day. My Dr finally has me on a good combo and I sleep. 250 mg's of seriquel and 300 mg's of trazodone. And if needed...vistril."

angelpatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was scared to death to take this medication after four years tapering off of ssri's and benzos but I struggled for four months on two hours or less of sleep each night and finally broke down because my health was failing from the stress of ongoing insomnia. I use 50mg right before bed and I sleep six to eight hours. I have horrible nightmares but I had them even when on no medication. I have daytime side effects of weakness and slight dizziness. I also feel less anxiety but I feel sort of dead inside and no longer smile or laugh. Which, believe it or not I still managed at times with no medication and only two hours of sleep! I am going to continue with this medication for a couple of months and then taper it down if possible."

Littlebroken (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been a lifesaver for me! It's the first thing that has worked for me and I've been taking 25 mg per day for about 3 weeks without ANY ill side effects."

Georgia girl 22 December 12, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I scarcely leave reviews but I feel compelled to give credit where it is due. I have fought insomnia, anxiety, depression, and a myriad of everything in between for the past 8 years. This has completely changed the game and given me my life back. I can sleep again! I haven't gained any weight in fact I have shed a few pounds due to feeling so amazing and having the energy and wherewithal to get out of bed and tackle my day. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I seriously have tried EVERYTHING- benzos, SSRI, tricyclics, natural, counseling, inpatient rehab. Seroquil wins hands down as it conquers my insomnia which is my worst trait. I noticed a little bit of a short temper at first but that has subsided."

HenricusRexVIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016