User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"Started with 50 mg, now to 300. About 40 min after taking it I get restless leg. Sleep good for about 3 hours, then wake."

Kris OK (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"I've only been on this med for a few days. I couldn't sleep in the hospital so my doc prescribed seroquel. I normally am an insomniac anyway. It did help...too much. I'm only on 25mg but I can't seem to wake up in the morning. I can sleep for 10 hours at a time, wake up and then I'm dizzy and lightheaded. When I go back to work, I have to have my wits about me and on register by 6 am. I can't seem to wake up with this. Also, I don't feel comfortable with it treating many disorders that I don't have."

Wawaqueen (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

"Take 150 mg XR plus 12.5 of the regular strength for anxiety and sleep. Anything over 200 mg touches dopamine receptors therefore it ceases to be an SSRI/sleep aid and is best for bipolar or schizophrenia. One Pharmacologist wanted me to take much more. I did. I started hemorrhaging from my vagina until I cut all down to what I am taking now. Works well as a sleep aid and anxiolytic."

Wackadoodledo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2016

"This is the only medication I've taken so far for insomnia that has worked consistently. I take 25 mg a night (or sometimes I just take half a pill - 12.5 mg, bc it's so sedating) and about 30-60 minutes later, I'm asleep. I'm a chronic insomniac with bipolar 1 so this medication really keeps me stable by making me sleep. I do feel a little groggy in the morning though and this mes makes me want to eat everything in sight! I've heard it's prescribed off label to anorexics to make them eat! If you go straight to sleep after taking it and don't get up and eat everything, it's possible not to gain weight at a low dose."

Lucy Clare (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2016

"I've yet to find a sleep aid that works as well as quetiapine. I've begged my Dr for 5 years to help me sleep and we've tried many other prescriptions. Others had bad side effects or didn't work. Enter seroquel, and hallelujah. It not only works, but it has no bad side effects for me. I did have to go from 25 to 50 mg per day but I sleep like a baby. No grogginess in the morning, no weight gain, no bad things period. I've been taking it for 14 months. If I don't have it, there's no withdrawal, but I don't sleep as well. I think it also is a nice adjunct to the Zoloft I take for depression and anxiety (100 mg). Overall it's the drug I'm most thankful for."

Tj360 July 21, 2016

"You guys seriously need to stop making people anxious about the weight gain. If you don't eat you WON'T get fat. I've been on seroquel since one and a half month and had no side effects except at first a little. When i started taking it i was checking every inch of my body on a daily basis, acting so paranoid cause of your reviews, thinking that it has some kind of a magic spell in getting people fat. I workout almost every day since I have an Endomorph kind of a body which is the worse kind. (Bad metabolism, hard to lose weight and maintaining it..). Been taking it cause i was having some very minor panic attacks, due to some stressful past events I experienced, which were preventing me from sleep All night. I take 12.5mg most of the time."

R.A.1 July 21, 2016

"Weight gain"

Lilurobs_9213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

"It is working for me; I can fall sleep, the good thing is I did not gain pounds because of it. I am grateful for this medication, I suffer insomnia for many years, and quetiapine is helping me."

Vivbigras July 5, 2016

"It will knock you out unlike any other medication out there but it will also make you gain a ton of weight."

EdSheeran (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2016

"Do not take this medicine. I gained 40 pounds, had no will to do anything besides eat and sleep, lashed out at everyone around me, and had the worst prescription drug experience of my life."

angry girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

"I was prescribed this at a treatment center in 2008 (8 years ago) for insomnia because it's non addictive and although a schizophrenia drug in large doses (1000-1500 mg), smaller doses have more sedative effect. It has worked wonderfully for me! I don't wake up feeling sedated or hungover for long. If I don't take it, have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep for more than 4 hours. One thing to understand, the sedative affect is actually higher in smaller doses. I take 50 mg about 45 minutes before sleep and get 8 hrs and feel fine after coffee or shower. If 50 stops working well, I go to 100, and then back to 50. 8 years and many others tried, it's been great for me and again non-addictive. Also can be used for anxiety 25 mg"

DaveC68 June 11, 2016

"I've been taking seroquel for 8 years. Yes it puts you to sleep. Yes it makes you dumber. Yes it makes your body hurt. It changes your body so much. I can't sleep without it but I wish I'd never started on psych meds. I now have chemical dependencies on the medication and problems that I can't fix and doctors don't want to help with because they're just side effects of the medications. Be strong. Learn to stand on your own especially if you're in your teens or twenties. Doctors and drug companies do not have your best interest in mind. They want you to be slave to their services and products. I have migraines 3 or 4 times a week for the last 6 years and the doctors tell me is because I smoke cigarettes. BS"

J Texas (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2016

"My doc gave me this for insomnia and PPD following childbirth. I slept but even at 15mgs the side effects were too much. I would sleep 20 hours a day. I felt like a zombie. Horrible."

Chouette99 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

"I have been taking quetiapine for a few years it worked fine at first. However now I have to take it 6 hours at least ahead of when I want to go to bed. I take 150 mg a day and I still have problems sleeping."

Catbake May 20, 2016

"I take half of a 50Mg and it helps a LOT. I use it to get off of Zolpidem 5mg. I feel very "hungover" in the mornings though. I could easily sleep 12 hours on it."

MarcR (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

"Been having sleep issues for years. Tried Seroquel/Quetiapine some years ago... but at too high a dose. Was a 'zombie' for hours after waking. Now I take 25 mg or 50mg (depends on how tired I am) and am getting good sleep but w/ VERY vivid remember-able dreams. Seems like a good trade off. Am curious if it has long term effects.... anyone?"

ArtEMouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

"I am in my late 40's and struggled with insomnia for years. Got by with Zopiclone for a long time but it started to become ineffective. Finally, after many fears about side effects, I tried quetiapine. I have gradually increased to 50 mg at night which seems to be the optimal dosage and I have been sleeping very well and feeling much better. Main side effect is dry mouth so I have to be mindful of dental care. No increase in appetite or sweet cravings which I feared. It is worth trying if you are really struggling. Very happy with this medication."

Discochic May 3, 2016

"This is the only med that actually helps me sleep. I've tried melatonin, zopiclone, lorazepam and temazepam, as well as every natural remedy I could get my hands on and then my doctor suggested trying quetiapine. I take 25mg about an hour before going to sleep and usually by the time I climb into bed I can hardly keep my eyes open. I'm also taking bupropion (which is technically contraindicated with quetiapine) which may be why I feel so sedated on such a low dose. The only downside is that I don't fully wake up from it until I've been physically awake for at least an hour and it makes me really thirsty but that's a small price to pay for getting a good sleep after struggling for years."

georgiaedwards (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2016

"I find I get four hours sleep. That is it. And i take 1500mg at night! still does nothing"

Mooflue April 30, 2016

"I'm on this medication I get 200 mg at night and 100 mg during day the one at night doesn't help me sleep still awake at 2 am the morning dose makes me tired so not sure if helps with insomnia"

Tracey b111 April 24, 2016

"I have been taking this medicine for more that 5 years and works perfect for me!"

Reed82 April 23, 2016

"Excellent medication to aide in a good nights sleep"

AUB1 April 21, 2016

"I'm on 350 MG for PTSD With recurring nightmares. This medicine really works. It's like being put out with gas before a surgery. It's black sleep. No dreams and uninterrupted sleep."

Aceman1991 April 8, 2016

"I do not have depression, anxiety etc. But I do have occasional insomnia. Someone told me to try Seroquel and I did. Best stuff ever for insomnia. I've tried the XR 25mg & 50mg. Both work but I have to take early enough because the drowsy effect is long lasting. But best sleep ever!!"

Sleepless in Texas7 April 8, 2016

"This medication works great for those with cronic insomnia. My only complaint is weight gain which for me was not an option since I work hard at watching my weight. I was taking 50 mg and had nightmares with talking in my sleep. I since stopped taking nightly and only use after I can't sleep for a few days. However, almost each time I take it I have the verbal nightmares. Keep in mind these r my side effects and may not happen to you, as far as a sleep aid it works great."

Sleepless in New Orleans March 14, 2016