User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"So doctor prescribed me 25mg of Quetiapine for insomnia, I had to take it before bed. First few days it worked amazing, felt kinda "high". After 5 days it started to work differently: 15mins after taking this drug I was getting panic attacks, strong anxiety. Would recommend using this for 1-3 days, definitely not more, cause tolerance build up so fast."

Lithuania (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

"Seroquel has saved me. I was prescribed seroquel for my severe insomnia, in conjunction with my long term depression. I had one issue initially when I started it, if I didn’t take it early enough then I would have difficulty waking up on time without being groggy. But this subsided after getting up and moving. It did discourage me from taking it regularly. Small doses had strong effects on me, so I started cutting my 25 mg tablets in half. After being on it long term it completely changed my sleeping patterns and mood. Now on my normal dose, I finally sleep through the night, and wake up well rested and motivated. In small doses (10-15mg) its effective in relieving daytime anxiety (as prescribed as well) which benefited my generalized anxiety disorder without benzos. Now I can finally sleep and control my daytime anxiety. If you’re anything like me, even a 25mg dose can be too strong. Talk to your doctor about dosage. It’s a lifesaver for anyone struggling with severe insomnia and depression."

freckledghost (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2018

"This is actually my 2nd review of Seroquel for sleep. I actually take a rather high dose -- 700 mg. All I can say is that it's the best sleep medication I've EVER been on. I've tried just about everything. Zopiclone, Sublinox, Amitriptyline, Trazodone, Doxepin -- most of which I've found hit and miss (the best of THOSE I would have to say is Sublinox). I've been taking this medication for many months now, and it's really been great. I wake up refreshed, and I do NOT find a hangover like other sleep meds (Remeron, for instance, was BRUTAL for that). It also has a nice, pleasant mellowing effect (unlike Trazodone or Remeron which made me feel like some soft of zombie). I highly recommend this medication."

Seroquel is GOOD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

"First few nights I took it, it made me feel SUPER drowsy to the point of humor. Nice to feel it so strongly, but still moody in daytime. After two weeks, the bedtime effect is less acute but still helpful plus my mood has improved. I usually don't last 15 minutes awake and stay asleep most nights until 7am. I am happy to feel it working well at such a low dose and I plan to ask my doctor to cut it down in my next prescription to see if it is sufficient. Side effects? I get dry mouth in the night and am groggy upon wakeup. Sleeping in always feels appropriate in the morning, but I don't seem to feel better for it, so a good wakeup time and strong coffee has become my secondary drug in the morning. In the last year, I have gained about 30 pounds but it seems that was the previous drug. My previous trembling feelings have also diminished to the point where I simply have forgotten to think about it while sleeping, or the quetiapine makes me too tired to think."

pDa1 May 29, 2018

"I started seroquel for sleep about 6 months ago at a dose of 25 mg. For about a week it knocked me out but then it started not to work as much. Doc raised it to 50, same thing, all the way up to 150. The time you spend awake on it makes you feel like a literal zombie. Now I’m at 150mg for about a month. Not working again. This is apparently the highest I can take before it will affect my brain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

"Was prescribed seroquel for sleep during a severe major depressive episode. I hadn't slept for 12 days. So Doctor prescribed me seroquel and valium and sertraline. Took all three, until I got better and started sleeping again. Don't need valium anymore and use seroquel when I need to. No side effects, it really helped me when my brain couldn't. Great sleeping aid and non-addictive."

brianjones (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

"I had had insomnia for about 18 years and it was made even worse when I had kids. I was sometimes only getting 5hrs a week. My doctor prescribed 50mg for my insomnia and it completely knocked me out. It made me really groggy during the day until my body got used to it. My husband thought I was dead because I was so dead asleep, it totally freaked him out. After a while I cut back down to 25mg so that I could actually wake up. I stayed on 25mg for about 4 months and then trialled a night without it; I still slept solid. I stopped taking it altogether after that. All I needed was my body to get back into rhythm because now I don’t need it at all. I occasionally have bouts of struggling to sleep but I just get up, do some breathing and stretching exercises and then go back to bed. I have gained a lot of weight but it was totally worth it. Sleep is so much more important than gaining weight. I have been off this medication for a month now and still sleep really well."

Kiki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2018

"I've been using this for sleep and 50mg sure has helped me!! Even if I wake up I can get right back to sleep"

DEE W (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I have found this to be one of the best sleep aids. Because I do not start work until 11 I don't have to worry about being groggy at work. I do get a metallic taste in my mouth and think that is what causes me to feel hungry so I make sure not to be tricked and eat but instead munch on something healthy and have not noticed any weight gain doing that. My mood is also definitely lifted when I wake up and I feel energetic during the day"

JaniceExploring (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"This dug was a majorn no in my book. I took it for about 5 weeks for insomnia (which is off label and therefore isn't passed by the FDA for this condition). All I can say is yes, it helped me sleep but I work early mornings so I felt extremely groggy for most of the day that didn't wear off much unless I took a nap. This cycle continued. That part wasn't so bad. The part that was bad was the amount of weight I gained in the 5 weeks taking it. 14 pounds. I've been 114bl on a 5'1 frame for 4 years after battling anorexia and hitting my low of 93 pounds. Guess what? Found out this medicine is also to treat anorexia. After my doctor told me weight gain wasn't an issue with this drug. I will never take this drug again for uses that aren't FDA approved. I'm going back to Lunesta 3mg. The only thing bad with that was loss of appetite and a weird taste in my mouth. That I can handle.. being 131ish pounds after being a steady 114 is not. Goodbye nasty nasty seroquel. - do not recommend"

Dareee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2018

"I have lifelong serious insomnia associated with atypical Bipolar I disorder. I had been making do for years with various benzos like Zolpidem but sleep length and quality were not great. So on Jan 1, 2018, at my internist's plea, I began taking 25 mgs per night of Seroquel generic. I immediately began experiencing the best sleep of my life, night after night. The only side effects thus far are heavy night sweats and it seems to be more challenging to stay at my normal weight than before I started taking it. I just read an article about the serious possible side effects (heart arythmia, diabetes and tardive dyskenesia, in particular) and I hope to never experience them, as this is an amazing sleep aid for me. I take no other medications regularly except Synthroid for low thyroid."

Libra Girl March 31, 2018

"Maybe seven years ago I developed severe insomnia. I was given different meds for sleep but still kept waking up at two AM. My doctor said to try quetiapine 25 mg. It really worked. I started to try half a pill and it worked as well. I usually sleep great and feel fine in the morning. My cup of English tea helps. I have had no problems and have not gained any weight. I have actually lost weight. I am 71 and I do not care if I need to take it the rest of my life. I have had no side effects and I sleep well."

Don (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2018

"This works quite well for me. I have been taking it for about 7 months. I started at 50mg, but dropped to 25mg to reduce morning grog. It does help with going to sleep and staying asleep. It does lower my resistance to stop eating at night, but I am not sure it causes weight gain directly. I still have some groggy feelings upon waking but they go away pretty quickly. It is very hard to sleep without it, but that is the point of taking it. Overall thumbs up!"

Potato head (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2018

"I've been taking this for years after finding stillnox has stopped working and was adding to my depression. I find that if I fight the sleepy feeling (by trying to squeeze in an extra episode of the latest thing I'm watching on Netflix) then I get Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and struggle then to get to sleep so I sometimes have to take another pill. I take 50mg. I started on 25 but had to go up to 50mg and only rarely do I need to take an extra one. I never get the hungover feeling that I did from other sleep medicines and I function well the next day after sleeping easily. My only suggestion is never to forget it or run out or you won't sleep at all."

dyna (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2018

"I have been on this med for over six years. Let me tell you will find nothing better for sleep. I take 50 mg. The down fall is I can't sleep without it , and once when I stopped for two weeks, I developed a huge rash and almost had to be hospitialized."

Kern (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2018

"I have severe insomnia due to an anxiety disability. I'm lucky if I sleep 5 hours in a week without medication. Started on 25mg, doctor told me to be careful about taking more cause it may put me down for a while. Doctor is now understanding the extent of my anxiety as I take 400mg a night to sleep. I dream a lot, but otherwise am sleeping much better and longer. Definitely needed this and it works well. Obviously my dosage is not average."

Danny93 February 18, 2018

"Love this medication. I take 12.5 - 25 mg seroquel at night 1-2 hours before bed. I've struggled with sleep problems my whole life (in my early thirties now). This has been the best sleep I've ever had since I started taking it 3 years ago. I found that the 25 mg full tab was too strong with me, so now I usually just cut the tablet in half and it works great. I also take 200 mg lamictal and 10 mg adderall ER in the morning for my mood disorder and ADD. I haven't had any negative side effects from adding the seroquel. No weight gain, no diabetes, no RLS. I am surprised by some of the articles I've read saying seroquel is not safe/effective for treating insomnia. Maybe they need to try a lower dose for some people? I can't say enough good things about it."

NV (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

"Worked a little too well, slept 20 hours. I thought this was prescribed for psychosis but my pdoc said it was for sleep. I'd recommend it if you have severe insomnia but otherwise not. Quite a bit of weight gain too."

moadej (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

"The quetiapine helped me to sleep but it also gain weight and high sugar level every morning, since I'm a diabetes patient I can't have quetiapine raise my glucose in my body. So I stopped it, keeping my glucose at a reasonable level is a lot more important that sleep."

Luasi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"KEEP AWAY! Highly effective, BUT highly DANGEROUS (cannot emphasize enough). I was on only 50mg as needed for just a month. I usually slept about 7-8 hours, occasionally 9-10. Thought it was a miracle! But I had acute akathisia (severe restlessness) each time I took it. Now weeks after stopping, I now am stuck with tardive dyskinesia in the tongue, jaw, eyes, and fingers, and tardive, potentially chronic akathisia, that has made the initial problem of insomnia far worse, quite ironically. Every solution so far, Vitamin B6, Propanolol, and Benadryl, to treat the restlessness has worked for only a short period. Will have to see what the Psych. prescribes next. At the age of 19, hopefully my life won't be ruined by Big Pharma before it even started."

COLLEGE-STUDENT (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"I started on 25mg which knocked me out for 12 hours then after a few months had to go up to 50mg and now up to 75mg it works wonders for me other then my body getting use to it"

Phoes February 5, 2018

"I was prescribed trazodone originally for sleep. It was effective at first, but when my anxiety and depression got worse, it wasn't helping with my sleep issues. My doctor then prescribed 50 mg Quetiapine fumarate (Seroquel) for sleep, and I have been sleeping better and longer. If you get up during the night, you may feel woozy so be careful."

Baubie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"A very calming and relaxing drowsiness from 50mg about an hour after dosing."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

"After being on trazodone and that having a half/half success rate, my prescriber put me on 50mg of quetiapine nightly. It completely calms me before bed, gives me at least 8 hours of sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed."

ow7en (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

"A psychiatrist prescribed this me after I expressed that I was having an incredibly hard time sleeping due to anxiety. I wouldn't recommend it. I couldn't feel any emotions for the remainder of the day. I felt drunk. When I tried to fall asleep, I'd get this "electric shock" feeling every five minutes and jolt awake. Unless you're having severe problems, or you're experiencing hallucinations or delusions, I wouldn't recommend taking this to anyone. And I wouldn't recommend taking it for anxiety or depression."

nicolexo January 7, 2018