User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"I was prescribed Brintellix for depression after denying it for a year & insomnia that got even worse; I get 2-3hrs sleep max which is rare. Accidentally took 25mg if Seroquel instead of half, I went from insomnia to hypersomnia in 1 night! Got up high & dizzy. Not cute when you're the one taking care of ICU patients "

Makan March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been suffering from major depression disorder, PTSD, and anxiety for a while now, I take 225mg of Effexor which is supposed to help with anxiety, in my case it doesn't. It does help with the depression. My anxiety it terrible and leaves me up for almost 3 days at a time. I'm on 0.5mg of klonopin 3 times and day (does not make me tired) so my Dr recently prescribed me quetiapine 100mg at night to sleep and that was way too much, I'd sleep for like 12-13 hours a night , now I take 25mg and it works ok. Only side effect is that if I don't fall asleep fast enough after taking it, it causes restless leg syndrome which is another nightmare in itself. nothing else seems to work so I'll stick with it for now."

Alyssmiss (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After suffering with undiagnosed bipolar for many years until recently being diagnosed and prescribed quetiapine 50 mg daily. It knocks me out for at least 8/9 hours so half my days gone if I take them at night I still don't sleep weird I know - but I can't wake up properly from them :/ good to block everything out but my days go"

nath93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seroquel really helps me with insomnia when nothing else will. I've tried several other medications and natural remedies, but none came close to the effectiveness of seroquel. I try to take just half of a 25 mg tablet per night - as little as possible to put me down. The only bad thing about seroquel for me is 30-1 hour of taking it I'm starving!! I eat so much if I don't fall asleep first. I try to keep lots of raw veggies and fruit for snacking in case I can't contain myself. So worth the sleep though."

Lucie8484512 March 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had trouble sleeping for a few years now. I've tried: ambien, klonopin, trazadone, Ativan, melatonin, chamomile tea, I think that's it? Well so far, it's been a week, 50mg seroquel helps me sleep through the night. Even when I wake up to use the restroom, or have a midnight snack, I'm able to fall back asleep, unlike all the other meds I've tried. I also take 100mg sertraline at night, 300 mg bupropion in the morning, and sometimes 20mg adderall on days I need to study a lot. I also drink one cup of coffee in the morning. So far, no side effects, and no drug interactions. I think seroquel has a good future as a sleep aid. :) Sincerely, 4th year med student"

s.a.m. March 6, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only med that actually helps me sleep. I had tried melatonin, zopiclone, lorazepam and temazepam, as well as every natural remedy I could get my hands on and then my doctor suggested quetiapine. I take 25mg about an hour before going to sleep and usually by the time I climb into bed I can hardly keep my eyes open. I'm also taking bupropion (which is technically contraindicated with quetiapine) which may be why I feel so sedated on such a low dose. The only downside is that I don't fully wake up from it until I've been physically awake for at least an hour and it makes me really thirsty. But that's a small price to pay for getting a good sleep after struggling for years. Also it makes orgasms less intense for me which sucks!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking heroin on a regular basis for a year, I couldn't sleep properly at night, insomnia and depression were the worst, until my doctor prescribed me quetiapine fumarate 200mg tabs, I sleep like a baby now 8-11 hours without any morning after effects, also helped me a lot to get out of depression"

Imdad Ali (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Starting 50mg of quetiapine fumarat, and 50mg of sertraline for the first time tonight. I have had constant anxiety for about a month. Heart races mind races, trouble sleeping sometimes I don't sleep at all. Had trouble eating, lost 10 pounds that I couldn't afford to lose. Bad headaches, even stomach pain and diarrhea. Crying a lot, feeling stressed about everything. Has anyone taken these two meds together? Even having anxiety about starting these meds."

very nervous February 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Quetiapine 25mg after my husband passed away as I could not go to sleep. My mind would always race. Once on quetiapine I sleep well... I still have the problem of racing mind but as long as I take the pill I am good. I also wake up with no problem. It has been a life saver."

pebbles1962 January 31, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used to take the stimulant alertec for my narcolepsy to help me stay awake but a new doctor took me off it and put me on Seroquel in hopes it would help me sleep better which in turn would help me be more rested during the day it has been a godsend been on it for over a year I take 50 mg after dinner sleep like a baby before would wake up and then couldn't fall back to sleep for a long time now can fall back to sleep after needing the toilet no problem"

hitemwithein (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had not slept more than three hours a night for three years due to bipolar, anxiety and depression , aggravated by life problems. This medication at 25 mg lets me sleep 8 to 10 hours but only if I take it right before turning out the light and only of it's quiet and everyone else is in bed. Otherwise it doesn't work, I don't sleep and I spend the next day "hungover." So get ready for bed, read your book, close your door, take the pill and enjoy. It's changed my life and given me a new chance."

Ursula B January 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I struggled for years with not only insomnia, but waking up several times thru the night when I would fall asleep (usually anywhere ftom 2-3 hours after going to bed and laying there with everything from bills to elementry school friends and worrying about my son). Many many times I would dose off then after sleeping an hour or so, wake up wide eyed and bushy tailed as if I had gotten a full 8 hours of sleep. I would do this several times a night then fall into a deep REM sleep right before the alarm went off. This action made me extremely tired, cranky, and totally unmotivated the whole next day. My Dr finally has me on a good combo and I sleep. 250 mg's of seriquel and 300 mg's of trazodone. And if needed...vistril."

angelpatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was scared to death to take this medication after four years tapering off of ssri's and benzos but I struggled for four months on two hours or less of sleep each night and finally broke down because my health was failing from the stress of ongoing insomnia. I use 50mg right before bed and I sleep six to eight hours. I have horrible nightmares but I had them even when on no medication. I have daytime side effects of weakness and slight dizziness. I also feel less anxiety but I feel sort of dead inside and no longer smile or laugh. Which, believe it or not I still managed at times with no medication and only two hours of sleep! I am going to continue with this medication for a couple of months and then taper it down if possible."

Littlebroken (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been a lifesaver for me! It's the first thing that has worked for me and I've been taking 25 mg per day for about 3 weeks without ANY ill side effects."

Georgia girl 22 December 12, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I scarcely leave reviews but I feel compelled to give credit where it is due. I have fought insomnia, anxiety, depression, and a myriad of everything in between for the past 8 years. This has completely changed the game and given me my life back. I can sleep again! I haven't gained any weight in fact I have shed a few pounds due to feeling so amazing and having the energy and wherewithal to get out of bed and tackle my day. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I seriously have tried EVERYTHING- benzos, SSRI, tricyclics, natural, counseling, inpatient rehab. Seroquil wins hands down as it conquers my insomnia which is my worst trait. I noticed a little bit of a short temper at first but that has subsided."

HenricusRexVIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have crps I developed after 2 major shoulder and bicep surgeries in less then 3 months. I am on fentanyl patches, oxycodone, topamax, baclofen and cymbalta for pain. I was taking ambien at night to sleep. It was giving me 4 hours of restful peaceful sleep if i did not move. ( Moving my shoulder causes severe pain). Dr. was concerned about the sleep walking caused by ambien. She wanted me to try this I have had horrible nights, a terrible drugged feeling. I am aware the world exists all hours of the night. It is causing headaches in my front forehead area. The headache hangs on till well after lunch most days. I actually decided last night I would rather deal with my pain 24 hours a day with no relief then deal with the effects."

Poohbare (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I've jut begun the seriquel drug to treat apparent Bipolar disorder, This drug has 110% assisted in my sleeping but thats also the issue, See I HATE sleeping through the day, but since taking this drug every night around 8:30pm I cannot seem to stay awake all day im either EXTREMELY tired and drowsy sleeping, or I am EXTREMELY hungry, I cannot seem to stop my appetite, I have also noticed a strong increase in my aggressiveness I am usually a very calm person, however I have found myself getting angry and or sad at very little, I am contributing this to my current state of drowsiness, however even after a 18 hour shift at work i usually dont get angry, Now this is purely my opinion and my experience and I am yet to speak with my GP"

Rushby December 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was in hell before these pills. It's been 2 years I have been using works amazing. Just little down mood morning."

Errol can November 28, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seroquel did really help me fall asleep in the beginning. Even after that, it helped a lot. The problem is, there's a time period in which the Seroquel works, and you have to fall asleep within that time period, or it's no help that night. I have a lot of trouble because of anxiety as well as general insomnia, and I can't always fall asleep in that time period. My biggest problem with Seroquel is how tired it can make you the next day. I've tried everything-the only thing I've found that works is getting ten hours of sleep."

Owlem (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am having insomnia for ages, sometimes it gets better sometimes worse, depends on how much I am stressed. The subsequent things in my behaviour happen based on how long the insomnia period lasts. I had a very bad period last year-depression with insomnia sleeping for 3-4 hours a night for a couple of months. I almost lost my job because I was not able to focus on anything during the day, just blankly looking at the monitor not understanding what I read. I was put on quetiapine for insomnia, 25mg before going to bed (+valdoxan) and it worked immediately also my colleagues noticed how my behaviour changed. I loved it. When I was back to normal I quit with quetiapine, was sleeping less for 2 weeks and then I was fine."

maybeBipolar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I read all posts regarding Seroquel which, for the large majority, seems to provide good measure for treatment of insomnia. I will admit that after reading the posts, I am envious. Seroquel was prescribed for me because for the last 4 months I have only been able to sleep 2 hours/night. The 2 hours are divided in 2 separate incriminates. I take 400 mg. (highest dose allowed) before bedtime. Most unfortunately, Seroquel has provided me NO benefit. Will talk to my physician to see if there is something else that will help not only to induce sleep, but to be able to wake up hours after sleeping, rather than 1 hour twice nightly."

HighlyTolerant October 23, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Seroquel (and now take Quetiapine) for insomnia when I was in a drug rehab about 10 years ago. It has been a life saver. They put me on this drug specifically because it is not addictive. It works fantastic for me. There are few drugs that assist with sleep that are not addictive and this is supposed to be one of them. I have fought insomnia all my life and searching for sleep landed me in rehab. Xanax, Valium, Ambien, Lunestra, and other Benzos, got me nowhere fast because of tolerance. The other non-addictive drugs I tried (melatonin, other herbs) were useless. For me, Seroquel works perfectly and with no side effects for sleep - but most importantly, I DIDNT BUILD UP A TOLERANCE AND I DIDNT GET HIGH. God Bless."

JMH321 October 20, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this medication for about 6 months at 50mg a night to help with sleep. Honestly, I have had 0 side effects and have experienced no weight gain or any extra urges to eat at night. This medication has a tendency to increase your appetite, or as I like to refer to as, "the munchies." However, I don't think this is something you need to worry about as long as you are aware of this possibility. Just be mindful and don't go to bed starving before you take it! I think it's clear that some people react well to seroquel and others react horribly... which is normal for all medications. Trial and error!"

Annie M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed it for my Borderline Personality Disorser and I find it definitely addictive in a way of sleep! I have become dependent on it due to its sedative values (which really does help if u struggle with insomnia, major anxiety at night and racing thoughts when alone) however I don't feel it has calmed or helped any other aspects of the disorder it just allows me to sleep. there is no magic pill but this I feel normally would work better along side therapy and perhaps other meds for different aspects. as a lone medication I haven't found it overly productive other than I already specified."

dalts (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"quetiapine changed my life for the better concerning my bipolar disorder. Making my mood swings less severe , and insomnia . The only major drawback to this is you become completely dependent on it for being able to fall asleep . It's almost like an addiction. My doctor tried tapering me off it once and it was a nightmare. So, in the end I am still taking it. I am curious if anyone feels dependent or "addicted""

Thiscouldbe_heartbreak16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016