User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"Starting 50mg of quetiapine fumarat, and 50mg of sertraline for the first time tonight. I have had constant anxiety for about a month. Heart races mind races, trouble sleeping sometimes I don't sleep at all. Had trouble eating, lost 10 pounds that I couldn't afford to lose. Bad headaches, even stomach pain and diarrhea. Crying a lot, feeling stressed about everything. Has anyone taken these two meds together? Even having anxiety about starting these meds."

very nervous February 9, 2017

"I was put on Quetiapine 25mg after my husband passed away as I could not go to sleep. My mind would always race. Once on quetiapine I sleep well... I still have the problem of racing mind but as long as I take the pill I am good. I also wake up with no problem. It has been a life saver."

pebbles1962 January 31, 2017

"Used to take the stimulant alertec for my narcolepsy to help me stay awake but a new doctor took me off it and put me on Seroquel in hopes it would help me sleep better which in turn would help me be more rested during the day it has been a godsend been on it for over a year I take 50 mg after dinner sleep like a baby before would wake up and then couldn't fall back to sleep for a long time now can fall back to sleep after needing the toilet no problem"

hitemwithein (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

"I had not slept more than three hours a night for three years due to bipolar, anxiety and depression , aggravated by life problems. This medication at 25 mg lets me sleep 8 to 10 hours but only if I take it right before turning out the light and only of it's quiet and everyone else is in bed. Otherwise it doesn't work, I don't sleep and I spend the next day "hungover." So get ready for bed, read your book, close your door, take the pill and enjoy. It's changed my life and given me a new chance."

Ursula B January 17, 2017

"I struggled for years with not only insomnia, but waking up several times thru the night when I would fall asleep (usually anywhere ftom 2-3 hours after going to bed and laying there with everything from bills to elementry school friends and worrying about my son). Many many times I would dose off then after sleeping an hour or so, wake up wide eyed and bushy tailed as if I had gotten a full 8 hours of sleep. I would do this several times a night then fall into a deep REM sleep right before the alarm went off. This action made me extremely tired, cranky, and totally unmotivated the whole next day. My Dr finally has me on a good combo and I sleep. 250 mg's of seriquel and 300 mg's of trazodone. And if needed...vistril."

angelpatches (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

"I was scared to death to take this medication after four years tapering off of ssri's and benzos but I struggled for four months on two hours or less of sleep each night and finally broke down because my health was failing from the stress of ongoing insomnia. I use 50mg right before bed and I sleep six to eight hours. I have horrible nightmares but I had them even when on no medication. I have daytime side effects of weakness and slight dizziness. I also feel less anxiety but I feel sort of dead inside and no longer smile or laugh. Which, believe it or not I still managed at times with no medication and only two hours of sleep! I am going to continue with this medication for a couple of months and then taper it down if possible."

Littlebroken (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

"This has been a lifesaver for me! It's the first thing that has worked for me and I've been taking 25 mg per day for about 3 weeks without ANY ill side effects."

Georgia girl 22 December 12, 2016

"I scarcely leave reviews but I feel compelled to give credit where it is due. I have fought insomnia, anxiety, depression, and a myriad of everything in between for the past 8 years. This has completely changed the game and given me my life back. I can sleep again! I haven't gained any weight in fact I have shed a few pounds due to feeling so amazing and having the energy and wherewithal to get out of bed and tackle my day. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I seriously have tried EVERYTHING- benzos, SSRI, tricyclics, natural, counseling, inpatient rehab. Seroquil wins hands down as it conquers my insomnia which is my worst trait. I noticed a little bit of a short temper at first but that has subsided."

HenricusRexVIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

"I have crps I developed after 2 major shoulder and bicep surgeries in less then 3 months. I am on fentanyl patches, oxycodone, topamax, baclofen and cymbalta for pain. I was taking ambien at night to sleep. It was giving me 4 hours of restful peaceful sleep if i did not move. ( Moving my shoulder causes severe pain). Dr. was concerned about the sleep walking caused by ambien. She wanted me to try this I have had horrible nights, a terrible drugged feeling. I am aware the world exists all hours of the night. It is causing headaches in my front forehead area. The headache hangs on till well after lunch most days. I actually decided last night I would rather deal with my pain 24 hours a day with no relief then deal with the effects."

Poohbare (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

"So I've jut begun the seriquel drug to treat apparent Bipolar disorder, This drug has 110% assisted in my sleeping but thats also the issue, See I HATE sleeping through the day, but since taking this drug every night around 8:30pm I cannot seem to stay awake all day im either EXTREMELY tired and drowsy sleeping, or I am EXTREMELY hungry, I cannot seem to stop my appetite, I have also noticed a strong increase in my aggressiveness I am usually a very calm person, however I have found myself getting angry and or sad at very little, I am contributing this to my current state of drowsiness, however even after a 18 hour shift at work i usually dont get angry, Now this is purely my opinion and my experience and I am yet to speak with my GP"

Rushby December 1, 2016

"I was in hell before these pills. It's been 2 years I have been using works amazing. Just little down mood morning."

Errol can November 28, 2016

"Seroquel did really help me fall asleep in the beginning. Even after that, it helped a lot. The problem is, there's a time period in which the Seroquel works, and you have to fall asleep within that time period, or it's no help that night. I have a lot of trouble because of anxiety as well as general insomnia, and I can't always fall asleep in that time period. My biggest problem with Seroquel is how tired it can make you the next day. I've tried everything-the only thing I've found that works is getting ten hours of sleep."

Owlem (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2016

"I am having insomnia for ages, sometimes it gets better sometimes worse, depends on how much I am stressed. The subsequent things in my behaviour happen based on how long the insomnia period lasts. I had a very bad period last year-depression with insomnia sleeping for 3-4 hours a night for a couple of months. I almost lost my job because I was not able to focus on anything during the day, just blankly looking at the monitor not understanding what I read. I was put on quetiapine for insomnia, 25mg before going to bed (+valdoxan) and it worked immediately also my colleagues noticed how my behaviour changed. I loved it. When I was back to normal I quit with quetiapine, was sleeping less for 2 weeks and then I was fine."

maybeBipolar (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2016

"I read all posts regarding Seroquel which, for the large majority, seems to provide good measure for treatment of insomnia. I will admit that after reading the posts, I am envious. Seroquel was prescribed for me because for the last 4 months I have only been able to sleep 2 hours/night. The 2 hours are divided in 2 separate incriminates. I take 400 mg. (highest dose allowed) before bedtime. Most unfortunately, Seroquel has provided me NO benefit. Will talk to my physician to see if there is something else that will help not only to induce sleep, but to be able to wake up hours after sleeping, rather than 1 hour twice nightly."

HighlyTolerant October 23, 2016

"I was put on Seroquel (and now take Quetiapine) for insomnia when I was in a drug rehab about 10 years ago. It has been a life saver. They put me on this drug specifically because it is not addictive. It works fantastic for me. There are few drugs that assist with sleep that are not addictive and this is supposed to be one of them. I have fought insomnia all my life and searching for sleep landed me in rehab. Xanax, Valium, Ambien, Lunestra, and other Benzos, got me nowhere fast because of tolerance. The other non-addictive drugs I tried (melatonin, other herbs) were useless. For me, Seroquel works perfectly and with no side effects for sleep - but most importantly, I DIDNT BUILD UP A TOLERANCE AND I DIDNT GET HIGH. God Bless."

JMH321 October 20, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for about 6 months at 50mg a night to help with sleep. Honestly, I have had 0 side effects and have experienced no weight gain or any extra urges to eat at night. This medication has a tendency to increase your appetite, or as I like to refer to as, "the munchies." However, I don't think this is something you need to worry about as long as you are aware of this possibility. Just be mindful and don't go to bed starving before you take it! I think it's clear that some people react well to seroquel and others react horribly... which is normal for all medications. Trial and error!"

Annie M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2016

"I was prescribed it for my Borderline Personality Disorser and I find it definitely addictive in a way of sleep! I have become dependent on it due to its sedative values (which really does help if u struggle with insomnia, major anxiety at night and racing thoughts when alone) however I don't feel it has calmed or helped any other aspects of the disorder it just allows me to sleep. there is no magic pill but this I feel normally would work better along side therapy and perhaps other meds for different aspects. as a lone medication I haven't found it overly productive other than I already specified."

dalts (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

"quetiapine changed my life for the better concerning my bipolar disorder. Making my mood swings less severe , and insomnia . The only major drawback to this is you become completely dependent on it for being able to fall asleep . It's almost like an addiction. My doctor tried tapering me off it once and it was a nightmare. So, in the end I am still taking it. I am curious if anyone feels dependent or "addicted""

Thiscouldbe_heartbreak16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

"This drug was pushed for off-label uses that the FDA did not approve. Google seroquel for more details including legal repercussions faced by the pharmaceutical company. The drug also has severe side effects and so, should be weighed against the pros and cons of other (possibly more) appropriate drugs. Due to this Seroquel, I became allergic to the sun, also known as a photoallergic eruption. Seroquel was prescribed to me for insomnia and not only was I in extreme pain for months due to burning of the skin, itchiness, and more, but I went on to develop the worst insomnia of my life that left me debilitated and suicidal."

Anonymous September 23, 2016

"I took this back when I was 15 and it was perfect for my terrible anxiety and insomnia, 25mg knocked me out completely and put me to sleep. I've been on melatonin for the last few years as quetiapine made me too drowsy the next day, but recently I have been back on quetiapine as I have been finding my anxiety keeping me up at night. I've put myself back on a 12.5-25mg dose and it's worked Wonders. It feels euphoric, and puts me to sleep like a charm. Downsides: I've been feeling so out of it during the day, drowsy, harder to wake, plus I've had a few headaches and stomach upsets. Also scared I'm going to gain weight as that is commonly reported? As far as doing its job as a sleeping pill though, it's incredible."

Anonymous September 18, 2016

"Ive been taking 200 mg for about 11 years now and it makes me sleep for ages. I can wake up with an alarm when I need to get stuff done but it makes me super laggy."

Brillany September 18, 2016

"All my life, a typical night would start with 1 to 2 hours laying in bed before falling asleep, and then waking several times with trouble getting back to sleep. My bedroom has light blocking curtains plus a white noise machine, but I still had trouble getting more than five hours of sleep. My Doctor has prescribed Ambien CR, Rozerem, Sonata, Restoril and Trazadone. I have tried Benadryl and Melatonin/Valerian pills but nothing worked well or long term until I tried Quetiapine. I take 50mg 30 minutes before bedtime and I sleep a good 6 to 8 hours daily! I have more vivid dreams but no nightmares, and 3 years with no loss of effectiveness and no weight gain! A good dose of morning caffeine and I have no lingering grogginess either!"

hscolnik (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

"Years ago I had clinical depression which I over cane with horrible anti deppresants and cognitive thoght therapy the only thing I now take is 25mg quiet a pine to conquer Iinsomnia it works great even if I take it at midnight I can get up at 6.30am with no lag. I've been taking it for about 5 years now no weight gain I actually lost 10 kgs tin the past year. I stopped for six months or more but was only sleeping a few hours a night with out it"

Dougbulldig August 31, 2016

"Started with 50 mg, now to 300. About 40 min after taking it I get restless leg. Sleep good for about 3 hours, then wake."

Kris OK (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"I've only been on this med for a few days. I couldn't sleep in the hospital so my doc prescribed seroquel. I normally am an insomniac anyway. It did help...too much. I'm only on 25mg but I can't seem to wake up in the morning. I can sleep for 10 hours at a time, wake up and then I'm dizzy and lightheaded. When I go back to work, I have to have my wits about me and on register by 6 am. I can't seem to wake up with this. Also, I don't feel comfortable with it treating many disorders that I don't have."

Wawaqueen (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016