User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"By far the best sleep medication I've ever taken. I take 400-500 mg approximately 2 hours before bed. It's a very deep, restful sleep. I was very scared to take this because I've had bad reactions to a few other medications. I took Remeron for sleep, and that would give me a very strange head the next day. I remember I used to have a lot of false awakenings on that stuff. Trazodone was similar -- I used to feel utterly horrible the next day. Seroquel is good."

Sleepy Jim November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication does make me feel drowsy but doesn't let me sleep. In fact it seems to promote Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for me. Since it doesn't give me a good nights rest, I feel real groggy in the morning."

74256274 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this after diagnosis of PTSD & anxiety waking me up during the night and always having difficulty falling back asleep. I take a 1/4 to 1/2 of 25mg tab (I'm 5ft6 130lbs) and I feel the effects of tingling legs and drowsiness after about 30 min. Sleep 8-9h/night and can wake up with noises (husbands alarm, dog moving around) as I'm a light sleeper but always fall back asleep. I've tried melatonin, gravol, benadryl and this is the best. No side effects so far...!"

Dontliketakingmeds (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works wonderfully as the only night medication (25mg). I fall asleep after 30 mins, no hang-over, I wake up feeling great, clear, rested! However when I don't take I pass the night sleepless, its really frustrating and it worries me a lot."

Rufo (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2017

"Not effective"

ReservedGene (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It amazes me that Drs a prescribing Seroquel for insomnia when for me it actually causes insomnia. I am on weaning down from 25mg and if I don't take it I can't sleep. Hundreds and hundreds of cases just like mine."

Juleyah October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First a quick rundown, I'm a 44yr old white male with a whole slew of physical problems. Here's the short list of things hat's been keeping me awake days at a time. I have CRPS (2012) ,Degenerative Disk Disease C4 -C7 moderate to severe(2001 since 1.5" shorter). I suffered a T.B.I.( Subdural Laceration .60") in 2012. Both rotator cuffs that have been torn several times each both of them have SLAP tears and tendonitis ,arthritis in various places. 8 weeks ago I tore my left R.C. for the 3rd or 4th time this time it came with the SLAP tear too. I've had issues with not being able to sleep because of pain for the past 5 years, starting shortly after CRPS reared it's ugly little head. If you aren't familiar with it just imagine all ten of your toes are broken both feet being beat with a hammer repeatedly accompanied by a little fella with a flamethrower that follows you everywhere you go. This is a 24/7-365, It made me reconsider my position on voodoo dolls because at times I feel as if I'm being stabbed with an ice pick every 10-15 seconds then after 5-20 pokes it moves to a different joint. Imaginary time over now, on the McGill pain scale it's the highest rated pain 48/50 childbirth is a 36,cancer 32 many others listed too. The only difference is those pains go away or have treatment options. Recently the surgeon general changed the approved therapy from opioid pain medications to No Approved Therapies simply because nothing works for more than a couple of months then your body gets use to the nerve blockers and any and all types and dosages of pain meds. Some choose to have thier feet amputated knowing there may still be phantom pain but that's much lower on the pain scale. Okay now that you know why I'm not sleeping well or at all here is my experience with this RX. 8 days prior to going to see my Doctor I went to my 1st P.T. session( hurt too much B4 then). During the 2hrs there she pulled and tugged on everything that hurts trying to figure out the range of motion and all that. This was 2 Mondays ago from that day until the following Monday I had slept a total of 9.5 hours going a minimum of 48 hrs between 1.5-2.5 hr naps before the pain would wake me the same as if someone had dumped a bucket of bricks on my head. After a week of this I saw my Dr for my monthly visit and explained everything including how I tried shifting my medications around ,changing the times taken and completely stopping 1 of them for 3 days and another for 2 days with no effect what so ever. He gave me a few choices of medication to try and I choose this one because I've never seen a commercial for it on TV. I refuse to take anything that's advertised on TV. The side effects are usually a more severe of what ever you needed to take it for plus another 20 possible side effects, not 4 me No. I didn't get home until after 1pm so I planned to take it the next time I felt like I was completely drained and might be able to sleep I would take the RX then as it was the best shot for it to work. That ended up being 10am the next morning,Tuesday. I took 1-25mg pill 15 minutes before I laid down and I don't remember my head hitting the pillow. In the past 15 years that has happened maybe 5-8 times. I woke up twice to use the bathroom and take my other meds for pain, less than 5 minutes after getting up to pee I was asleep again. I woke up 5:30 am Wednesday morning and felt more human than I have in the past 5 years. The pain was tolerable enough that I laid there for a couple of more hours. The best sleep I can remember. Since then my shoulder is feeling a little better so it's not making my normally terrible situation worse and since I've learned to deal with it as best as one can I'm getting back to sleeping 3.5 to 4.5 hours every night. I've only needed to take 1/2 of one since the first. My situation is very unique but if spilling my guts about things I hate to talk about helps someone else get the sleep they need then it was worth it."

929rr October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seroquil worked great, more than great but there always seems to be a catch isn't there? First, I was not on any other meds and was prescribed 200 mg's out of the gate, which was too much (I'm 5'7, 120 lbs) So I cut it way back and my sweet spot with no hangover was 25 mgs. Took it for nearly two years with no complaints. Here's the catch, the weight gain thing, it crept up on me pretty slow I hardly noticed. I don't own a scale, my eating habits never changed. First 5 lbs, hardly noticed, then 10lb, chalked it up to my age (45). Then I looked pregnant and nothing fit and my entire body from my face to ankles looked bloated. When I ran out of my script I stopped and 4 months later I was back to my normal weight. Sad to see it go.."

nozzz's (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take .25 or .5 of seroquel for sleep, but I am on several others meds, so it's hard to pinpoint the exact one that's causing sleep or if it's some combination. My understanding is that at low does, such as 100mg and under, the drug acts only like an antihistamine, benadryl for example, and so the sleepiness effect at those low does should be the same, and I think this is true. I also have restless legs syndrome, very much exacerbated by either seroquel or benadyl - but, Gabapentin to the rescue - 300 mg of Gabapentin and the pain is totally gone - poof."

Gulielmus (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2017

"Good"

amin894 September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had a great experience with seroquel. I have always had trouble falling asleep and getting fixated on noises and thoughts. I have been on 5mg melatonin for years and had been taking Benadryl. I asked my doctor to try seroquel. The first night I took 25mg and slept sooo good but was in a daze and foggy the next day. So I split it and took 12.5mg ever since and it has been life changing. I take it an hour before bedtime and still take the melatonin as well. I don't have any side effects and sleep wonderfully."

Insomnianomore (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was initially prescribed Quetiapine for bipolar / insomnia in addition to the Depakote I was already taking. I was to start at 50 MG and gradually build up to 200 MG, but the first night taking it at 50 MG completely knocked me out for the night and the following day. The effects felt a little less strong the following day, but I didn't feel I could go up to 100 MG, so I called my doctors office and they suggested I go down to 25 MG. Which has worked wonderfully for sleep and I've been doing that for the last month. I sleep through the night now, but only feel groggy in the AM the following day and not the entire day. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night after sleeping 5 hours or less for so long is a huge improvement."

FinallyGotToSleep (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All you need is 25mg and only taken 1/2 before bed is all you need."

SQ guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having been tried on every sleep med for insomnia (benzodiazepines, non-benzodiazepines, Belsomra and a few antidepressants), I asked my Dr if I could try Seroquel (quetiapine) having taken it about 15 years ago. I've had insomnia for years and years. About 20 years ago I was put on Seroquel 50 mg and it helped a lot. It worked again for me, however I was on 400mg for at least 6 months. I hadn't had more than 2-3 hours of sleep for years and immediately slept through the night. I am currently taking 200mg and hope to decrease that amount as I've gained 40 pounds over the past two years and exercising and dieting have not helped. Lose weight but go back to insomnia, sleep well but remain overweight. I love/hate Seroquel!"

MissieRae August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had difficult sleeping for the last 7 years, I take my dose at bed time. I'm relaxed and I fall asleep relaxed. I'm bipolar but only use it for sleep."

Lisamidnight (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It takes 3 hours to kick in which it is a 50/50 chance it won't, I might fall asleep for 2 hours. But I always wake up and will never be able to fall asleep again. On 25mg tablets so unless you get really high ones, don't even bother."

Stormer969 August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For those who has been having anemia or low blood pressure problem (esp ladies), Quetiapine lowered blood pressure and blood sugar level and that causes me feel light-headed, dizziness, fainting spell and developed slight vertigo. Check your blood pressure and discuss with your doctor before taking Quetiapine. I've stopped taking it for more than 1 week and my symptoms of dizziness and fainting spells slowly subsided."

Geok57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been through every sleep aid in existence. None worked. They started me on 50mg which didn't work. Long story short.. I take 800mg at night around 10pm and fall asleep after about an hour or so. I wake up ready to go about 6am usually. I started experiencing withdrawals mid day. It was as bad as coming off benzos which is an absolute horror story but I was suffering and my Dr felt it was due to seroquels half life so I started taking 400mg mid morning and that helped. Some days I have to sleep after the 400mg dose and others I don't. This medication has helped me in many ways. It's helped my anxiety and sleep however I have gained 40lbs which is disturbing. I'm currently trying to lose weight. I don't want to give this med up."

Jesseslilbit (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me sleepy, but sleep was still elusive. These drugs made me so constipated, even laxatives couldn't get things moving."

Rainbow Flaps (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't take this medication! I gained 45lbs on it, I would sleep-eat and now its been a nightmare trying to lose the weight. absolutely awful."

Merbearrrrr (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Seroquel/Quatiapine for several years for chronic insomnia. I take 50-100 mg 2 hours before bedtime. It is the ONLY thing that has helped me sleep through the night. Periodically a new doc will try the latest sedative on me. The latest was Bellsra. A distill failure that cost me two weeks of sleep. I have Fibromyalgia so lack of sleep leads to a major pain flare up. I'm coping with that still 3 weeks later. I've recently started 5HTP and Kavinace Ultra supplements. I'm hoping to wean myself off Seroquel because the weight gain SUCKS!"

KYS (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No issues but worried about recent articles of secondary usage."

Bananana (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have gave quitiapine 5 stars as it definitely allows me to sleep right through the night. But I have been on it for 15 years and still experience dreadful side effects. I have reduced from taking 800mg in the morning to 300mg in the morning yet in the evening and the morning I can barely function and am tired and groggy all day. I have tried to take it earlier and earlier in the evening in the hope of having less side effects in the morning but nothing works. Plus it gives me the appetite of a racehorse. I also have nasty withdrawal symptoms whenever I try to taper off completely. For me this drug is a necessary evil and I really wish I didn't have to take it."

Jam jar (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take quetiapine for my insomnia, within the first 30 mins of taking it my body starts to tingle like a warning that I'm about to sleep. I climb into bed get really groggy and sleep. The next day is always horrible after taking the pill. I'm tired all day, it's hard to wake up for school. I don't want to do anything but sleep. I recommend you take this pill when you know you don't have to wake up too early."

Yoyo12345 May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on diazepam for nearly 10 years to treat on my insomnia and recently got told I had to stop it, the withdrawal symptoms of benzo is not joke!! I suffer severe anxiety, panic, fear and feeling very depressed during benzo tapering process. As usual insomnia remains as my major issue while still having to deal with withdrawal from benzo. My psychiatrist prescribed me with quetiapine 25mg (not a high dose) together with benzo (benzo have been decreasing as I am on tapering process) I am amazed on how this drug helps! After around 45min of taking 25mg of quetiapine together with 4mg of diazepam. I am managed to sleep through out a solid 9 hours!! It's But the side effect for me is having migraine when I awake, but worth it compare to insomnia!"

Geok57 May 7, 2017