User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Venus · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2020

“I'm a 23 y/o woman diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at age 18. I take 25mg quetiapine once daily and this medication has gotten my psychotic symptoms under control as well as getting my co-morbid generalized anxiety disorder under control. I also take .25mg xanax as needed for spikes of anxiety and it works like a charm! I used to not be able to sleep through the night without waking up hallucinating and it was a nightmare. Now I actually sleep and during the day it's made my psychotic symptoms completely go away. The only con I've noticed is the morning grogginess but that's eased as I've gotten used to the medication. I absolutely recommend this for anyone with BPD specifically struggling with psychotic symptoms.”

CMac · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2020

“I have been on Seroquel for 5 years now. I began at 100mg and and just recently moved to 200mg. Prior to Seroquel, my BPD symptoms were out of control. I was misdiagnosed many times over my lifetime and have been given countless drugs for depression and anxiety, which either did not work or made things worse. Since being on Seroquel, my life has completely turned around. I feel totally in control of my thoughts, emotions, and actions. I feel rational and sane, have impulse control, have been able to hold down a job and maintained a nice lifestyle and marriage for the entire time, which I was never able to do before. I take it at bedtime, it's the ONLY thing that helps me sleep at night, I wake in the morning feeling rested and alert. I do struggle with being overweight by about 40lbs, but the benefits far outweigh the weight side effect for me.”

Gaz. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2020

“I’ve been taking Quetiapine now for about 4 years my dosage started on 100mg and over the years it was raised to 500mg. I found the tablet to help my mental condition as my personality has changed following my brain haemorrhage. However my overwhelming concern was the weight that I had gained 4 stone! So in December 2019 I gradually started to reduce my dosage and now I only take 200mg at bedtime as it helps me to sleep as I wouldn’t be able to sleep without taking the Quetiapine.”

Gccc May 22, 2020

“I've been on quetiapine for 3 years I have borderline personality disorder, and I don't think they work for me I take 400mg at night, other than making me tired all the time with no energy and weight gain, I wouldn't recommend and they come with many common side effects, and prior to taking them I actually think I was better off, they are very addictive to, I've forgotten take them on a odd occasion and the withdrawal procces feels like I'm dying”

Noone · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 9, 2020

“quetiapine helped me a ton in terms of emotional instability and sleep. I was on 150mg for about a year. All going fantastic. Then 100mg because of unrelated heart problems now 50mg because of swallowing problems that have lasted the entire time. Since being on the 50 I am unable to sleep and have suicidal and self harm thoughts everyday unable to work. I wish I didnt' have swallowing problems as this med changed my life. I have had no weight gain either.”

Timy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2020

“I’m currently on 50 mg of Seroquel. It has helped a lot with psychotic symptoms related to BPD (borderline personality disorder), I haven’t had auditory hallucinations on it at this dose. It’s also helped boost my appetite which I was struggling with. The drowsiness made morning classes difficult since I was put on it while attending college, but overall I’d say the side effects are preferable to the symptoms the Seroquel is treating. It also seems to help taper down my impulsiveness.”

Phiephie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

“This quetiapine medication has helped me a lot, it helps me sleep but also stops me from experiencing awful nightmares. Which I suffered with massively before taking it, I also have (c-ptsd).”

Matt · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2020

“I’ve been on 300mg of quetiapine for over a year. Was diagnosed with bipolar disorder but I’ve now been recently re diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder) the quetiapine is very draining. Constantly sleepy. And made me put on a lot of weight. Even if I’m controlling my eating. But does stable my mood out to an extent.I’ve also been put on Lamotrigine recently due to trying to attempt to take my own life. Wasn’t too sure about taking it as it has a black box warning due to it’s serious side effects. Only side effects I am experiencing is dizziness/ headaches. And loss of appetite. Seems to be working okay”

Looper12 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2020

“Quetiapine gave me back my life. I haven't attempted suicide in 4 years. Great mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia and puts you in a deep sleep. It has made me mentally stronger. Downside of it is the side effects, I've developed involuntarily movements and twitching in my shoulder and weight gain.”

Dylan February 14, 2020

“Firstly, when I began this medication, I thought it was a godsend. I was prescribed it while in a behavioral health center and went from waking multiple times a night to sleeping a solid 8 hours and waking mostly refreshed, once the grogginess stepped aside. My mood evened out and my will to live was finally there. I was happy. I have been on this medication since November and it is now February and things have gone from wonderful, to complete rock bottom. My anxiety is through the roof and I've even developed false memory syndrome which has caused rampant paranoia in my waking life. I no longer sleep through the night because I'm jarred by horrifying nightmares built around my OCD intrusive thoughts and deep fears. I'm exhausted, depressed, and have absolutely no appetite anymore. It also has since caused me a lot of physical symptoms like severe nausea, body twitches, and diarrhea nearly every day. The honeymoon phase is over and I am miserable.”

Shan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

“I've been on 25mg for about 3 months and it's helped LOADS with my sleep, I've had terrible insomnia for most of my life and nothing else has helped, but my god this was like a sedative when I first started! It doesn't make me as drowsy now but definitely have a more regular sleep pattern now. It hasn't really stabilised my mood but I think it has helped with dissociation, and I haven't gained a lot of weight but I am finding it hard to lose weight. One of the better drugs I've tried!”

yx_y · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“I wish I had quetiapine 18 years ago since, I had suffered from serious insomnia, OCD, anxiety and deep depression for so many years. Half year ago I was diagnosed as BDP. I have started quetiapine and it helps a lot. Almost no more OCD symptoms. My dose is 100mg in the evening for 2 weeks and it has changed my feeling a lot. Only thing is with 100mg , I sleep for 11 hours per day. It is really too much......”

Gee October 30, 2019

“I’m on 150mg of this twice a day, depending on daily moods I sometimes take more (although I shouldn’t). I find it really helpful for the list of mental problems I have, as well as being able to switch off at night and sleep as without this I would only have 2-5 hours sleep A WEEK (this has been since I was very young)!”

Princess j · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

“I currently take 50mg of quetiapine before bed. I must say it gives you the most brilliant night sleep. So for anxiety it will help your sleep to be reconciled! These meds are good at keeping me calm during the day. I’ve stopped crying daily at least ! Sadly they haven’t found my smile again and I find my skin is incredibly greasy from the increase in serum and my skin is very spotty. .”

shams October 10, 2019

“I noticed a difference at 75mg, and am almost feeling 'normal' at 150mg. It helps with dissociation, agitation, self-harm, as well as levels out my moods. I've only been at 150mg for ten days, but I was cautiously optimistic at 75mg and am almost hopeful with at 150mg . I haven't felt particularly hopeful about anything in years :) I did go through a period of cravings, but they've since levelled out. I also try to exercise 4x a week; I don't own a car so I walk etc. I don't feel as if my personality is deadened ..I feel more me, not less.”

G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 26, 2019

“Used quetiapine as a mood stabiliser when first dx with Borderline personality disorder and dysthymia, no change in mood, or reactions and gained 10kg. Tried recently for sleep, 25mg no difference, 50mg no difference”

deedeesaysrah · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

“I decided to stop taking it because of the massive weight gain BUT at 100mg, it did help my Borderline Personality Disorder - you end up feeling NOTHING rather than everything, I guess it depends on the person. I lost my actual personality but gained a more normal reaction type and my mood was generally 'better' - I was more neutral rather than the extreme highs and lows I also had a few side effects; extreme drowsiness, weight gain (I'd say approx. 2st in 2 months), a complete lack of motivation and also *weirdly* awful restless legs for about 2 hours after taking it.”

Tryingforhope · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

“I just started this med a week and a half ago and I'm already gaining a ton of weight. I am on 50 mg. It also makes me extremely exhausted even though I take it at night. Changing it immediately when I meet with my psychiatrist”

Dizzyshell · Taken for 10 years or more July 22, 2019

“So I commented last week and its day 16 back on quetiapine 600mg The drowsiness is subsiding. I'm no longer crying about the fact I'm 36 and have no kids no friends no family and being agrophobic. I feel a lot better and I realise these drugs do help symptoms of BPD . 10 years I've been on quetiapine but I stopped 4 months ago and I was a wreck and I had to try them again and now I know they're vital . Quetiapine have given me a stomach ulcer and the pain began soon as I started quetiapine 10 years ago but its took me 10 years to realise . Be careful if anyone gets pain in their stomach you must stop smoking drinking and aspirin should all be avoided like the plague.”

tarni7 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 27, 2019

“While Seroquel did somewhat help me, for borderline personality disorder I feel it did not help enough and the side effects for me were horrible, so I had to go off it as I could not handle it anymore. I would increase it but then the weight gain I experienced from it got worse and I was even more tired than it already made me. I would fall asleep at work and if I took the higher dosage at night, I would not wake up at all and could sleep for 24 hours straight. Decided it wasn't worth it.”

Established80five_ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 15, 2019

“I take quetiapine 250mg each night alongside 200mg sertraline nightly and 200mg lamotrigine through the day for BPD and it's balanced me perfectly. It is the best drug combination for BPD and an absolute lifesaver. Literally does all the heavy lifting.”

Omnia · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2019

“Quetiapine was given to me for BPD and it worsens my mood. I'm in a depressed phase since I started it! It also makes me feel so angry and easily irritated. I can't function properly up to 4 hours after I wake up. It causes muscle pain and it affects my training but this side effect is dose dependant. I hate this drug”

apple · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2019

“I've been taking seroquel 100mg at night and wellbutrin 200mg in the morning for about a month for Borderline personality disorder. I was previously taking seroquel 50mg and wellbutrin 200mg but was still having problems. My mood is overall better. I have more energy and am more talkative and not as fearful. I don't read into things as much. When I do get upset, the reaction is much less severe. I still have some racing thoughts when triggered but the severity is less. I seem to forget things almost instantaneously at times though which makes conversation and focusing a bit difficult. My husband says things have going well with us for a while now. That's really something since that hasn't happened in our marriage ever before. What's helped also is learning CBT skills.”

Dally D · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2019

“I have been taking 100mg quetiapine 3 times daily with 150mg lamictal and hydroxine. The quetiapine doesn't make me tired but I also do not wake up all through the night. I do see myself rather anxious throughout the day.”

Cheesy chick · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2019

“I have struggled from and very young age of depression and anxiety very badly. I have tried so many different medications and this is by far the best!! I don’t think I could have carried on with life without this medication, I had really bad insomnia as well now I get a great nights sleep. I suffer from border line personality disorder, very bad depression, anxiety, insomnia and autism spectrum disorder. To anyone who’s thinking of taking this medication I would definitely recommend it.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)