User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 104 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 63% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

I. C · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2021

“Well I started on 25mg and it was okay but I would still feel extreme rages, soo I went up to 50mg. It did help me a lot, I realised that things that I would usually overthink weren’t actually that big of a deal. I was continually having relationship problems soo I started going up until 100mg. And now I’ve realised that it’s not actually helping that much. I’m not as emotional and wild as I was, and I can see a positive, but I feel like I miss the old me! I miss feeling everything and expressing myself with real emotions. Now I feel more motivated, but I don’t feel like me any more. I’m more quiet and I still get the rage, I still get upset and overwhelmed, just not as much. It does work, but I’m gaining soo much weight and I want to be the old me. Maybe with some therapy when Covid is over and try something else, but I’m going to slowly drop downs to 25mg and then come off of it because I don’t want to be on this for years.”

Ragin Fumin · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

“I found the low doses of 25mg, 50mg, 75mg slow to adjust to but overwhelmingly positive after a while I found that 75mg was no longer as effective so moved to 100mg. I have a very fairly fast metabolism so I often have an intense reaction to medicine and drugs. I tried 125mg for 4 days and I started having shakes, 3 hour adrenaline rush, constant moving, suicidal thoughts, intense uncontrollable rage/anger. Reduced my dose back to 100mg and all side effects have disappeared. In general I feel much better within myself. My mood ranges have become far less turbulent and I am slightly less irritable in general. Will continue to to monitor and maybe reduce again to 75mg.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

“I’ve been taking 25mg of Quetiapine at night for a month. Was wary of the weight gain, however have not gained any weight. I do watch what I eat and walk for around 30mins-1hr everyday. I think it’s best to take it at night as it does make you very sleepy and do feel some slight hunger, so best to take at night to avoid urges to eat/over eat. In terms of mental health, it’s completed changed my life, I went from crying for hours a days by torturing myself with overthinking, to just finally being able to feel grounded and live my life like a ‘normal’ person. I haven’t changed and I’m not ‘doped’ out all the time as some people may imagine when someone takes a drug like this. I actually feel positive about my life and it’s allowed me to have some hope for overcoming BPD, or manage my symptoms. I would definitely recommend this drug, however I am aware people have different reactions, but for me it’s been very beneficial and I hope my review can help someone else too”

CMac · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2020

“I have been on Seroquel for 5 years now. I began at 100mg and and just recently moved to 200mg. Prior to Seroquel, my BPD symptoms were out of control. I was misdiagnosed many times over my lifetime and have been given countless drugs for depression and anxiety, which either did not work or made things worse. Since being on Seroquel, my life has completely turned around. I feel totally in control of my thoughts, emotions, and actions. I feel rational and sane, have impulse control, have been able to hold down a job and maintained a nice lifestyle and marriage for the entire time, which I was never able to do before. I take it at bedtime, it's the ONLY thing that helps me sleep at night, I wake in the morning feeling rested and alert. I do struggle with being overweight by about 40lbs, but the benefits far outweigh the weight side effect for me.”

cb1617 January 27, 2021

“I have been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder (BPD). I’m 20. I was depressed and suicidal when my psychiatrist put me on seroquel. Itook 4-5 months for it to fully kick in. 300mg was too much for me my mornings were horrible and I fainted a couple of times. my heart was beating so fast when I woke up and I would get so dizzy it was so hard to start my days properly. I wouldn’t go back to 300mg - also made me feel like a potato, because I never felt sad anymore. I am now taking 150mg which is working soooo well for me. I am finally happy and I have reached a point of emotional stability and consciousness which I have never had previously. It makes me feel like I have seen the real life on the other side. I was so blinded due to bpd and now seroquel - only (no dialect treatment) made me feel so confident and the person I’ve always been looking for. I’ve been on it for 9 months and I can’t imagine my life without it. I might be addicted to it but IDC - I would never go back to my bpd it scares into the thought of living in that nightmare.”

Anonymous April 23, 2010

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel has completely changed my life for the better. I was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. It didn't really matter what label the psychiatrist gave me as I already knew and understood my problem to be unbearable pain- regardless of any formal title. I experienced racing and obsessive thoughts, acute paranoia, unmeasurable anxiety and the terrible lows, gripped by depression. Unstable, rapid emotions and was tired, having had to live with this unrecognized illness.. I reached a point where not only did I want to die but I seriously considered taking the life of my child also and had reached a definite crisis. I've been taking for only three months and I'm unrecognizable to the person I once was. I value life and feel amazing about myself and endless possibilities for the future.”

Venus · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2020

“I'm a 23 y/o woman diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at age 18. I take 25mg quetiapine once daily and this medication has gotten my psychotic symptoms under control as well as getting my co-morbid generalized anxiety disorder under control. I also take .25mg xanax as needed for spikes of anxiety and it works like a charm! I used to not be able to sleep through the night without waking up hallucinating and it was a nightmare. Now I actually sleep and during the day it's made my psychotic symptoms completely go away. The only con I've noticed is the morning grogginess but that's eased as I've gotten used to the medication. I absolutely recommend this for anyone with BPD specifically struggling with psychotic symptoms.”

Gccc May 22, 2020

“I've been on quetiapine for 3 years I have borderline personality disorder, and I don't think they work for me I take 400mg at night, other than making me tired all the time with no energy and weight gain, I wouldn't recommend and they come with many common side effects, and prior to taking them I actually think I was better off, they are very addictive to, I've forgotten take them on a odd occasion and the withdrawal procces feels like I'm dying”

Ingerlisa December 1, 2016

“My daughter was prescribed this dreadful drug by a supposedly Consultant psychiatrist. Her weight doubled in just over a year. This drug gives you suicidal thoughts and my daughter committed suicide on 16th November 2016. Reading her suicide note was heartbreaking. The Seroquel never helped her in any way so she tried to come off them and the withdrawal effects were horrendous.I believe that her mental condition got worse when she was on this drug. I would never recommend this medicatiion to anyone. I live in the UK.”

Limo.19 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2020

“I've been using quetiapine for 5 years and my psychiatrist has told me from the very start I may be on it for many years too come or the rest of my life. I've only just overcome that fact really, From the start I felt extremely “High” or “Sedated” (I was prescribed quetiapine for hallucinations and night terrors, I started on 75mg and I'm currently on 250mg and over the years despite the start up side effects from 2-4 weeks maybe 6 weeks for some people, it is still a brilliant drug for my BPD and PTSD. I still get low points but I bounce back fairly quickly and I feel quetiapine has stabilised my mood throughout the years of taking it.”

Looper12 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2020

“Quetiapine gave me back my life. I haven't attempted suicide in 4 years. Great mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia and puts you in a deep sleep. It has made me mentally stronger. Downside of it is the side effects, I've developed involuntarily movements and twitching in my shoulder and weight gain.”

Dylan February 14, 2020

“Firstly, when I began this medication, I thought it was a godsend. I was prescribed it while in a behavioral health center and went from waking multiple times a night to sleeping a solid 8 hours and waking mostly refreshed, once the grogginess stepped aside. My mood evened out and my will to live was finally there. I was happy. I have been on this medication since November and it is now February and things have gone from wonderful, to complete rock bottom. My anxiety is through the roof and I've even developed false memory syndrome which has caused rampant paranoia in my waking life. I no longer sleep through the night because I'm jarred by horrifying nightmares built around my OCD intrusive thoughts and deep fears. I'm exhausted, depressed, and have absolutely no appetite anymore. It also has since caused me a lot of physical symptoms like severe nausea, body twitches, and diarrhea nearly every day. The honeymoon phase is over and I am miserable.”

Anonymous April 21, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been suffering with borderline personality disorder almost my entire life. Within a few days of taking Seroquel I noticed an incredible difference in my mood balance, my paranoia. The biggest difference I noticed was I no longer felt the need to be in crisis. Social settings were easily handled, my work life improved overnight. I used to use alcohol to expand on my crisis moments & friends and family believed me a hopeless alcoholic. Now I have no urge to drink. I wake up focused, ready and able to face the day. Most of my days are almost completely positive. I would recommend.”

tyfereth August 28, 2014

“Been on quetiapine for a couple of years now and this medicine changed my life. I am a better person now and this medicine helped a lot with that. No crisis, no anxiety, no craving for alcohol or other medicines. Sometimes I think I could be more emotional but it's a price I had to pay for having peace in my head. Totally recommend. I take only 50mg per day and it's enough to keep me stable.”

Noone · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 9, 2020

“quetiapine helped me a ton in terms of emotional instability and sleep. I was on 150mg for about a year. All going fantastic. Then 100mg because of unrelated heart problems now 50mg because of swallowing problems that have lasted the entire time. Since being on the 50 I am unable to sleep and have suicidal and self harm thoughts everyday unable to work. I wish I didnt' have swallowing problems as this med changed my life. I have had no weight gain either.”

shams October 10, 2019

“I noticed a difference at 75mg, and am almost feeling 'normal' at 150mg. It helps with dissociation, agitation, self-harm, as well as levels out my moods. I've only been at 150mg for ten days, but I was cautiously optimistic at 75mg and am almost hopeful with at 150mg . I haven't felt particularly hopeful about anything in years :) I did go through a period of cravings, but they've since levelled out. I also try to exercise 4x a week; I don't own a car so I walk etc. I don't feel as if my personality is deadened ..I feel more me, not less.”

Timy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 29, 2020

“I’m currently on 50 mg of Seroquel. It has helped a lot with psychotic symptoms related to BPD (borderline personality disorder), I haven’t had auditory hallucinations on it at this dose. It’s also helped boost my appetite which I was struggling with. The drowsiness made morning classes difficult since I was put on it while attending college, but overall I’d say the side effects are preferable to the symptoms the Seroquel is treating. It also seems to help taper down my impulsiveness.”

Lee.M January 16, 2017

“I have recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. I have had symptoms of this for years not knowing what was wrong with me. I would go a few years with no issues cause I was drinking very heavily ( 1- 2 cases of beer a night) I have tried SSRI's as they would not work with the depression and anxiety. I recently was switched from zyprexa to quetiapine 100 mg (will be increased to 200mg in 2 days.) It has been 3 days and I have already noticed a complete difference. My thoughts seem a lot more stable, I'm not as paranoid, I found my anxiety has lessoned (I was having 4 -6 panic attacks at work a day) and I just feel more stable now. I am very grateful as to I was so desperate for help.”

K1987J February 22, 2016

“Started on 50mg Quetiapine today. Knocked me out for 4 hours but once I came round again there was almost instant relief from obsessive thoughts, paranoid ideation, anxiety and the world seemed much slower. Much easier to handle. Kinda feel like there must be some kind of catch to this deal? Scared of weight gain but I'll monitor it and let ya'll know how that goes. So far I'm loving it.”

Scooooter89 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2014

“I was on this medicine for almost three years and went off of it cold turkey because I thought I was better. Worst mistake of my life in 2013! A month or so ago I was put back on the medicine, just not quite as a high of a dose (800mg). I am now on 300mg and it has once again changed my life. I am happy again, feel like me, don't crave alcohol or other pills, and the mood swings have pretty much dissipated. This medicine is amazing and a life saver.”

marciibunni April 3, 2010

Seroquel (quetiapine): “My life has almost completely turned around.... in the best ways possible. Other medicines never did anything good or just nothing at all and they just kept upping the doses on me. Then they started me on this crazy expensive medicine and I tell you it's just amazing! It is totally worth it.... my social life is back.... I have my friends back.... and close family members. Well it feels like I'm loved again and there's nothing really to think and think and think over and over and over again anymore, and sleeping is good again. I can sleep and not worry or think. Just totally worth it. ”

yorkiegal September 29, 2008

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I'm three weeks into taking 200mg of Seroquel along with my usual Effexor. I was prescribed it off label to help with the mood swings I get from being borderline. For the first time in years I am not full of anxiety. I sleep longer, am able to exercise in public without feeling self conscious, am eating more healthy foods, although still too much of them. The drowsiness was awful initially but has mostly disappeared now.”

spazpen August 19, 2014

“I have only recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder but I have suffered it's effects my whole life. More recently I had an episode where it was necessary to be admitted to hospital extreme agitation/hyperactivity and suicidal and self harm thoughts. I was started on 12.5mg three times a day in hospital but on discharge was advised that I could take up to 25mg three times a day as I felt necessary. So far I've only needed 12.5mg two times a day, occasionally with an extra dose at night or a stronger dose in the morning for bad days. I've found the groggy feelings wore off after a couple weeks and I'm so balanced now. Seroquel has changed my life.”

Established80five_ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 15, 2019

“I take quetiapine 250mg each night alongside 200mg sertraline nightly and 200mg lamotrigine through the day for BPD and it's balanced me perfectly. It is the best drug combination for BPD and an absolute lifesaver. Literally does all the heavy lifting.”

Gaz. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2020

“I’ve been taking Quetiapine now for about 4 years my dosage started on 100mg and over the years it was raised to 500mg. I found the tablet to help my mental condition as my personality has changed following my brain haemorrhage. However my overwhelming concern was the weight that I had gained 4 stone! So in December 2019 I gradually started to reduce my dosage and now I only take 200mg at bedtime as it helps me to sleep as I wouldn’t be able to sleep without taking the Quetiapine.”

Panda_Bear101 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2013

“Prior to taking this drug I was in a self-destructive, dissociated state of paranoia and anger. At times I would have these intense mood swings that I was unable to control, like sadness (burst into tears with no provocation) or anger (no provocation). Upon taking this drug this ceased within 1-2 days, and it was as if I had never been like that. I was restored, so to speak. This drug saved my life, I feel it fair to say. Side effects: I sleep very heavily, I need about 30 alarms going off five minutes apart before I wake up, and I get extremely drowsy if I have even a little alcohol, I also have very low moods for a few days after consuming alcohol.”

deedeesaysrah · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

“I decided to stop taking it because of the massive weight gain BUT at 100mg, it did help my Borderline Personality Disorder - you end up feeling NOTHING rather than everything, I guess it depends on the person. I lost my actual personality but gained a more normal reaction type and my mood was generally 'better' - I was more neutral rather than the extreme highs and lows I also had a few side effects; extreme drowsiness, weight gain (I'd say approx. 2st in 2 months), a complete lack of motivation and also *weirdly* awful restless legs for about 2 hours after taking it.”

Cheesy chick · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2019

“I have struggled from and very young age of depression and anxiety very badly. I have tried so many different medications and this is by far the best!! I don’t think I could have carried on with life without this medication, I had really bad insomnia as well now I get a great nights sleep. I suffer from border line personality disorder, very bad depression, anxiety, insomnia and autism spectrum disorder. To anyone who’s thinking of taking this medication I would definitely recommend it.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder