User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"This medicine gave me my life back, by actually controlling anxiety both physically and mentally. For me the only side effects have been weight gain and heart burn both of which I will gladly take for the freedom it has given me from my anxiety. No more panic, no more worry, no more racing thoughts and I can think clearly and logically again. It does not make me sleepy like my doctor said it might but instead just relaxes me enough that sleeping is possible once again. The night time need for snacking is kind of annoying but I'll take it and the freedom this medicine has given me over the crippling anxiety!"

MrTonyMan July 14, 2018

"I have been on this drug twice. The first time I ended up overdosing but bear in mind, I was doing drugs while my body was still getting used to the medication and I was young and stupid. Second time round, absolutely no worries. Prescribed 50mg at night but I only take 25 now, somehow my tolerance decreased and 50 made me a zombie. This drug saved my life. It is the best medicine ever, and this is somebody who reacts badly to medication usually. I have been on it for 18 months continuously now for anxiety, insomnia and as a mood stabiliser. No side effects except a good night's sleep and hunger (which I need). Good luck with this medicine. I truly owe my life to it."

Bnewton18 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2018

"50 mg helps neutralise a Borderline Personality Disorder, anxiety and paranoid episode. I find in this state it does not make me sleep, but rather calms me enough to not act in a rash, impulsive manner, and helps quieten my irrational thoughts."

cobweb July 2, 2018

"I wanted to update my review for Seroquel in the use of treating my GAD. My former GP prescribed Seroquel XR 50mg for anxiety and I found that it made me a zombie - I felt completely disconnected and wanted to sleep all day long. However, my psychiatrist recommended using the regular version instead and prescribed Seroquel 50mg normal release. It has made such a difference in the way I feel! Granted, I do still have periods of fatigue, but nothing like the XR version. I'm able to function normally most of the time. It is a lifesaver!"

MissLeopard83 June 30, 2018

"Suffered severe panic attacks and general anxiety on and off for months. Life was horrible to say the least. Tried increasing my antidepressant dose (cipramil), but no effect. Doctor suggested Seroquel XR, 50mg each night. Worked well but was still getting anxious spells. I increased to 75mg, and have had a week without panic. I'm able to work, enjoy things and feel more optimistic about the future. I feel a bit tired an fatigued, but I have recently been diagnosed with anemia, so I think this plays a huge role. Other than that: no side effects. Love this drug!!!!"

Kristina W June 25, 2018

"8 years ago I had a pyschotic episode which resulted in being sectioned under the mental health act 1983 (UK) . I don't have a mental health condition. Back in the day you would say I had a break down but it's actually recored as an acute pyschotic episode. It has taken me a long time to get back to who I was but now that I am on a dose of 50mg. I don't over think things anymore. If your doc has prescribed these for pyschotic symptoms I would try and bear with it. After first the side effect are quite bad. I was on 300mg in hospital and for a couple of years after. Its only been in the last year I have been able to reduce them. In the 8 years I have been taking this medication I've tried to reduce it several times but became unwell again. I know my signs of becoming unwell ,I always seek help and supervision from doctors or mental health. I'm now on 50mg so it can be done. I hope this helps anyone in similar circumstances."

Bev (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2018

"After trying every single antidepressant on offer here my GP agreed to try this. I was previously having panic attacks to the point of feeling like my throat had swollen and/or throwing up daily. I had the slow release version and it helped but I couldn't wake up! I'm now on 25mg normal one at night and my vomiting stopped within the week and I maybe have a panic attack now once every couple of months. It has been my absolute life saver."

Karima (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

"Seems to really help, better mood ,but I have sore eyes ? Side effect"

Angelcake (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"I was on 50mg of seroquel for about 12 weeks for bipolar disorder, and my doctor gave the impression that it would help with my anxiety. Well, it didn't... it just made me totally crash! I was originally splitting the dose up into halves, 25 in the morning, 25 at night. It was making me too sleepy during the day, and causing me to take unnecessary naps almost daily. Even when I took 12.5mg in the morning, and 37.5mg at night, it was still bad. Additionally, it caused a number of side effects, including drug induced parkinsons, restless legs that made it very difficult to sit still, and stiff jaw (especially when coming off of it). It gets a five because it did help with my depression."

Lil J1001 November 30, 2017

"I’m 38 and have only just been prescribed Seroquel this year by a psychiatrist. I went to my doctor with lack of sleep, intrusive thoughts and general anxiety. The lack of sleep was constant and more often than not, I was running through scenarios that happened at work and blowing them of proportion. I have now settled on Seroquel Xl (24 hours) 50mg at night with another 50mg short acting at bed time. My sleep has improved massively and within half an hour of taking and any negative thoughts have gone. I’m free to get a good night’s sleep! Occasionally if I’m overthinking things during the day and stuck in a spiral of negative thoughts, I will take 25mg and this will really help. This drug has changed my life!"

Sweep1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2017

"I have anxiety/phobias/social phobias/panic attacks/stress/anxiety/generala anxiety disorder. Seroquel was one of the best medicines ever I got for my heavy panic attacks and anxiety etc. Seroquel stabilized me very well in all of my problems and I continue to taking it for 6 months. One of the best antipsychotic drugs out there. I recommend it to you. Also it cause anxiolytic and sleep effects which I would like it when you can't sleep much."

09dibbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

"This drug is surprisingly risky to take. While it certainly does have a significant effect in terms of reducing tension, anxiety and overthinking and sleep problems, it certainly has some really unpleasant side-effects. For instance it’s extremely sedating, it shuts down the emotional system making it almost impossible to feel any feelings except extreme tiredness and irritability. Not the type of drug I’d recommend anybody, but definitely the drug I’d warn people against taking."

Januscl October 29, 2017

"I was prescribed 25 mg to be taken as needed for anxiety. The first time I took it I only took half a pill as suggested by my doctor, this knocked me out. I switched to 1/4 tablet and take it as needed before bed. I have taken the medication like this for 6+ years now and have had no problems, I have seen a significant decrease in my anxiety, and have elevated mood or affect the day after taking it, with the only side effect being grogginess. I was taking Klonopin before this but hated how addictive it was. I have intermittent severe anxiety with paranoia and occasional auditory hallucinations, mania, and depression all of which is helped by even the super low dose of Seroquel."

thewalrus September 21, 2017

"I've been prescribed 25mg seroquel to replace the Valium I take as when required for anxiety & panic attacks. STRONG WARNING IF U HAVE YOUNG KIDS. Don't take it for the first time if U R the ONLY parent around at the time. I wasn't warned by my Psychaitrist & luckily my partner was home when I decided to take it as it completely wiped me out. I passed out within 40 mins of taking it & didn't wake up for 14 hours. I woke up feeling like a zombie. Coffee helped a little. I've taken it 3 times so far. Maybe/hopefully the tingling feeling after taking it & then passing out will subside over time. Otherwise yes, it does help subside anxiety. I'm just not sure if that's because its forced me to sleep & then I'm brain fogged. Will update later."

PatchRight (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

"I suffered severe Clinical depression for 8 months. A combination of Quetiapine and Venlafaxine succeeded where Antidepressants alone failed. I found Quetiapine useful for Anxiety."

Ian Beach (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

"This medicine has been just wonderful for me. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and an anxiety disorder. It really calms my racing thoughts and smooths me out. I have been on many different doses, all of the way up to 800 mg. I don't know why Dr's sometimes insist on overkill. Anyways, the magic dose for me is 200 mg at bedtime. It keeps me calmed down, and my anxiety stays in check all the next day. I have been taking it for three years and I don't get the brain fog or sleepiness effect anymore. I use 10 mg of Ambien to help me sleep. It does okay, but the combination doesn't "knock me out" like it does some people. Overall, Seroquel is great for me, but it is very rough on others. it is worth a try at least."

DonAllen1973 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

"Been on 300mg for severe anxiety and depression. Only real help has been sleep and no bad side effects. Love the stuff for that reason but I wish it helped with more the anxiety and depression as I've been on every antidepressant."

Emiie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

"I just started taking 100mg quetiapine to help me sleep. Only been on it 5 days. I suffer from anxiety-sometimes severe, depression-sometimes severe & severe pain from severe osteoarthritis, severe back pain from multiple surgeries & degenerate disc disease. Anyway, thus far quetiapine seems to help me sleep somewhat. Still waking up too early, average 4 hours sleep per night & I feel real foggy. Not sure what to do cause I was taking trazadon which helped me sleep but nasty stuff. So from a lot of reviews I've read here it seems quetiapine affects a lot of people differently. I'm so scared of it yet I'm exhausted from lack of sleep which causes me more anxiety & depression. I've not gotten a decent night's sleep in months. Any suggestions?"

Virginia Redhead (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

"I've been on seroquel XR 50mg for the past 8 months for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and intrusive racing thoughts. Only take it in the evening before bedtime. This helps me sleep through the night and not wake up in the middle of the night with panic/anxiety issues! It is somewhat sedating, and do have issues waking up in the morning, but coffee helps. I didn't gain any weight on it as it helps me get going during the day on things that would usually drive me into a panic situation! I actually enjoy going out for walks and socialising now as opposed to being apprehensive and terrified of (insert intrusive thoughts)! Needs some adjustments occasionally; on weeks I'm doing well I only take half of the 50mg dose and do Ok."

FrazzledFox (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and Generalized anxiety disorder in a residential treatment center. I was dependent on 4mg of klonopin a day, and when I started to taper off the panic attacks and lack of sleep was so UNREAL. My doctor put me on seroquel 25mg twice a day and 50mg at night time. It makes me really tired so it helps me sleep. I used to wake up groggy, but not anymore. overall, great medication. I'm now on 50mg a day as needed, and 50mg at nighttime. Seroquel REALLY helps my panic attacks. The dose I'm at doesn't make me as tired as it used to. I'm on remeron at night time so the two really knock me out. Overall, great medication. Only side effects: bad dry mouth, sleepiness"

hahaha6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

"Started a week ago and haven't had a panic attack or episode since"

Neasha (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

"OMG i cannot believe my "psychiatrist" had prescribed me this med at first I was ok I thought it made me feel tired enough to sleep after about an hour and she also let me still be on lorazapam because I was already taking that for my anxiety. Well I have been on these pills 25 mg two times a day for about a month. And I have gained almost 20lbs and when I try to sleep my legs go crazy. I have been having severe restless leg. and I mean my legs would kick hard when I am trying to sleep. So last night my man was trying to keep me calm and tell me it will be ok and he told me to look up the med and the side effects. I am now in tears after reading all the bad effects and its isn't good for anxiety ADHD & mood disorders I hate dr's who know nada."

buddytonkas (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

"My GP prescribed Seroquel XR 50mg to be taken at bedtime for worsening anxiety symptoms and horrible mood swings. I only took it 2 days and discontinued it because it made me feel disconnected and groggy. I've been using my Ativan more often, but it doesn't provide a sedative effect nearly as bad as Seroquel."

MissLeopard83 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

"I was put on this medication, it started at a very high dose... all I did was sleep, eat, and walk in a fog. The doctor reduced the milligrams and things started to improve...until my body began to act the same way again. Long short of it... I'm down to .30 mg at night. I drag in the mornings but my energy increases as the day passes. I'm working this medication out of my system because I found it to be a very heavy drug to take. This is coming from a person who has taken it for five years."

Christine1221 March 31, 2017

"I take 50mg at bedtime. It works great for sleep and anxiety. However if I miss even one day I suffer severe headaches and nausea."

ShiksaIncognita (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2017