User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

sarahjbrandt · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2021

“I have severe anxiety (GAD, SAD, OCD, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia), and was prescribed this as a when required medicine. When I visited the hospital for worsening panic attacks. I was given this, and the psychiatrist straight up told me that the goal was to make me too tired to be anxious. My instructions were to take 12.5 mg twice per day (morning/night). I don't know why, but I guess this is either stronger than all the other psych meds I've tried, or I'm sensitive to it somehow. I couldn't attend school because I was so tired constantly, I slept for I think 16 hours straight, but the quality of it was absolutely terrible- nightmares, sweating, frequently waking up and then falling back asleep. Also it gave me constipation. I take trazodone every night as well, but both these meds are at a low dose so the doctor wasn't concerned. I don't know. It's certainly not for me, but it does wonders for others!!”

Sandy April 2, 2021

“They calm my anxiety, but they make me really sleepy and lethargic. I have been on many anxiety pills and this seems to have a positive effect, but so sleepy in the mornings.”

Pugglemama · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2021

“I noticed this pill started working for me within the first week. I've been on it now for 4 weeks and have noticed a big change. I was taking Ativan every day for a month before I started taking this medication as my anxiety and intrusive thoughts were out of control. I haven't had to take Ativan for 3 weeks now and am feel so much better, and back to my happy self. I'm on the lowest does you can be on. So happy I gave this a go! Looking forward to the future of feeling good and less anxiety.”

Princess · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

“I have been diagnosed with GAD for 20 yrs. I have tried most antidepressants but I got more anxiety. Until 3 years ago my doctor prescribed quetiapine it helped me control my anxiety and panic disorder. I love this medication.”

NR · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2018

“I am so thankful for this medication. After trying multiple SSRI and SNRIs with limited success, Seroquel bridged the gap. I have GAD and some depression; this medication took me from a place where I had taken a 3 month leave of absence from a successful career as an executive, to a place where I can function again in what remains a highly intense corporate environment. While Seroquel is a miracle drug for me, I am very thankful to Jesus for carrying me through this period - He's my true miracle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 5, 2020

“Whatever your condition, from my experience do not start taking this drug quetiapine. I speak from experience with bipolar, major depression, and anxiety. The side effects are far worse than any benefits. The only benefit I have found is some help with sleep, but even that is inconsistent and sometimes my overall sleep is much worse (fewer hours). It causes massive weight gain over time and dependency. Once you take it, you feel like you won't be able to sleep without it. I have been on it for years and have been unable to get off it, even though at this point I am on a low dose of 25 mg when I used to be on a high dose.”

Eire DOD March 8, 2020

“I started this med quetiapine about 3 wks ago at a dose of 25mg. I go to sleep shortly after taking it but wake up during the night for an hour or so and sometimes find it hard to get back to sleep. It has reduced my anxiety and I find myself being more friendly/open. I have lost weight and seem to eat less also. I also take effexor 150mg.”

Sunflower November 19, 2019

“I first started this medication (quetiapine) about a week or so ago. The first two days on it I felt like a complete zombie - I didn't leave my bed for two days and did not eat a single thing. I started this medication on the weekend so I didn't feel weird while I was at work. Fast forward to Monday - I get into work and I could not concentrate as my brain felt foggy and reading my emails felt like the biggest struggle. After the day had passed I had noticed that I wasn't as anxious as I normally am. During the first full week on this I felt great. I wasn't anxious (if I was it was very minimal) and I wasn't angry for no apparent reason anymore. Now two weeks later - all of my symptoms are back and feel way worse. I wake up wit terrible anxiety - so bad that I contemplate calling into work because I'm not able to control my breathing. My mood swings are terrible, the smallest things trigger me and i just overall am feeling bad again. Has this happened to anyone else?”

mysteriousdarkness · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2014

“LIFESAVER. I tried antidepressant after antidepressant, all exacerbating my original anxiety symptoms- nausea, vomiting, insomnia, brain zaps, anziety, agitation, headaches/ migraines. You name it, I had it and the antidepressants made it worse. Been on Quetiapine XR 50mg and I'm still trying to get used to how GOOD I feel. for the first time in YEARS I'm not waking up nauseous and dry-retching, appetite is normal, sleeping a blissful 8 hours a night and waking up easily in the morning, alert and awake during the day. My anxiety is just GONE. I still have emotions, I still care about things, but this feels like what I imagine a normal person feels like. e.g. I can cope without panicking!! 10/10!!!”

Northern Guy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 22, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): “This medicine is great for daytime anxiety or anxiety with insomnia. Doctors give way too much of this 300mg, 500mg, etc. to non-manic patients when much smaller dosages will work. I used a HALF TABLET (12.5mg) for sleep. Lately I used 1/4 tablet (one in morning and one in afternoon) to lower base anxiety level. You don't need to be knocked out to get relief from anxiety!”

Cathy · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2020

“Several years ago, but several times, Seroquel saved me from the extreme anxiety I had from taking high dose oral steroids for breathing problems/asthma. Anxiety meds were not working so the doctor prescribed Seroquel 25mg. I’m very sensitive to medication side effects so I had to cut the pill in half. The anxiety went away almost immediately before going to sleep. This is powerful medication and works very fast. When I read of others taking such very high doses I don’t know how their body can take it. I’m so grateful there is something I can take for the awful anxiety and panic related to oral steroids. I did wake up a few hours after taking it & had some insomnia but without anxiety.”

JustJane · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

“I am on 25 mg quetiapine for GAD, for mild depression, generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks, taking half to start with after reading about the side effects. I’m also prescribed 1 mg prazosin for CPTSD from ongoing trauma (childhood sexual assault) and these 2 medications work well to help me sleep. I take them at night. I was so afraid to go to sleep, due to having nightmares, flashbacks and waking throughout the night, with worsening anxiety and panic the next day. I was in a never ending cycle of misery, basically. I am on day 5 of these medications, and I know it takes some time to work but I feel much better already. Still having some issues with mild outbursts anger etc but these are manageable with the 2 medications and little to no side effects, unlike other meds I have taken in the past. Helpful and happy to have found something that works. Give it a try if you are suffering. Don’t live in pain or try to tough it out. Good luck ❤️”

HoldingOn · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

“I was just prescribed this medication after not really responding to Risperdal well, and having some bad side effects from an SNRI. Don’t know what I have, extremely anxious and paranoid. I’ve seen many good reviews with Seroquel and I do have my hopes up, hoping it does something positive than negative, I don’t need anymore negativity happening to me. So I’m really hoping that it gives me sleep, I’ve been awake for two days. Wish me luck, I hope this med is the one out of many that I will need to know happiness again. Will share experience tomorrow and in a few days. Wish me luck!”

Zaisha · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“I am taking Quetiapine since one and a half months .the medicine is very effective in keeping anxiety away. It was prescribed as a mood stabiliser for my bipolar , but has done wonders on my anxiety . 80-90% anxiety gone . Just a very mild anxious transient feeling at time. Earlier the anxiety was debilitating for years and other anxiety pills would work as effective dose would also make me manic”

MB · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

“Best drug/antidepressant I've taken for my generalized anxiety. Originally starting taking 12.5mg a couple years ago for insomnia. Now I take 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening. Took about 5 days to have a noticeable effect on my anxiety. My compulsive worrying now feels controllable and I feel much calmer. The only antidepressant I've taken without experiencing major side effects, other than some grogginess at first. I came off it for 3 months without withdrawal symptoms after a year, so don't be afraid to try it! I'm 21.”

stout1979 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2016

“Ive had anxiety, panic, and depression for 8 months. Its been Hell. SSRI's are scary to me, and I had a bad experience with one. I searched non SSRI and found Quetiapine, which is the generic Seroquel. I take 25mg during the day, sometimes twice a day, and 1x25mg at night before bed. Helps calm down the anxiety so I can sleep at night, and function at work during the day. No bad side effects. Small doses almost act like a heavy antihistamine. Makes me a little drowsy, but its worth it to be able to function. If your suffering from anxiety, dont be scared to take this medication! Do yourself a favor and just be brave and do it. You will feel better. Nobody wants to take pills, but sometimes enough is enough and we need help.”

lovexpickles · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2014

“I used to have terrible anxiety and racing thoughts and would break down crying every day. I started taking 25mg of Seroquel every night and I am no longer anxious. I have a great sleep every night and wake up feeling awesome. I don't need Ativan anymore for panic attacks as they have ceased completely. I tried Wellbutrin for a while and it made me crazy...for anyone who is nervous about taking an antidepressant or benzos I would highly recommend this medication. I feel like myself - no tremor or fogginess or zombie-like feelings. Occasionally my legs feel a bit restless but I can deal with that. No issues if I don't take it for a night and want to go for drinks or something. No issues with weight gain. Highly recommend! I got my life back.”

Hope · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 15, 2019

“I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder I have been struggling with anxiety/panic episodes 36 years. I started Seroquel 25mg one in the morning and one at bedtime. It has helped me significantly. I feel less anxious and I sleep well. No more panic episodes. I have been on so many meds through out my life with no success till I started Seroquel.”

Bill · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

“All users of drugs of this type need to recognise there is a massive range in responses to any one drug. What is good for one person may be bad for another. This drug (25-75 mg) in combination with 15 mg of mirtazapine works really well for me. I went on it/them 3 years ago when I had a serious anxiety flare up. I can go off and on at will depending on external circumstances, longest time off so far is six months.”

LeoM86 April 18, 2015

“This medicine has been a life saver for my anxiety and depression. By the second day I felt the difference. I have taken a great number of other medications and they didn't help as much as Seroquel or didn't make any difference besides making me more anxious. Now I feel calm (something I've never really experienced ever) and more clear minded. I take the pill at night and I sleep like a baby. I am truly thankful for this. It has given me my life back. I would give it a 10 but the only the con I have is the fatigue I experience in the morning but a cup of coffee takes care of that. Overall, if you are crippled by this horrifying illness, you may consider giving Seroquel a chance.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 12, 2016

“I started taking low dose Quetiapine (Seroquel) 3 years ago for sleep and anxiety, instead of Lorazepam (Ativan), which was losing its effectiveness. I also take Escitalopram 10mg daily for depression. The Seroquel has been fantastic - I only take 1/4-1/2 of a 25mg tablet as even 25mg was too sedating and even after 3 years of almost daily use, I have not needed to increase the dose. I also occasionally go a few days without taking it and do not have any withdrawal symptoms. I normally take it only at night to help sleep, but occasionally during the day for anxiety. I have not had ANY weight gain, increased appetite nor other side effects, but perhaps I am just lucky to be sensitive to such a low dose, avoiding these common side effects.”

June · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“I was prescribed 25mg of Quetiapine as an alternative to Valiums to treat my recent worsening anxiety and I can honestly say that I have never felt worse in my entire life. I’ve only been on it for FOUR days and have already experienced brain fog and really dark thoughts. I have however noticed that it helps ‘contain’ my anxiety but to an extent where I feel nothing that it’s making me more depressed. I don’t know if it’s normal to feel this way after less than a week of taking this medication? I’ve previously been on Mirtazipine around a year ago, and Quetiapine gives me similar effects such as weight gain, suicidal thoughts, depression, brain fog. I’m returning to my doctor to make a note of that and will never go near this medication ever again.”

LUVQUETIAPINE · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2014

“This medication has been a life saver. I had major anxiety and paranoia and could not sleep. Now I have zero anxiety, I am no longer paranoid and I do not wake up once during the night. Love this medication.”

ambuler09 December 2, 2015

“I have never left a review on a medication before in my life, but after a year on this med, I felt I had to. I am a 32 year old female who has suffered with anxiety and panic disorder/agoraphobia my whole life. It got so bad that I dropped out of grad school a few years ago and was completely housebound with panic and derealization and I was fainting from the attacks in public! No medicine ever worked for me until I tried seroquel. Hands down, it gave me my life back. I can drive, I can go to my kids' school and functions alone, I can socialize again. I feel totally free! I was SO scared of starting this drug but it has been my lifeline! The ONLY downside has been the weight gain-- 15 lbs that won't budge ;(”

ekech February 14, 2020

“It worked really well for my generalised anxiety and disassociate disorder, made it manageable. But even on a low dose it has made me pile on the pounds. I've put on 2 stone. I was on 100mg dose and managed to reduce to 75mg because of the weight gain. I am trying to get off it because of the weight but its very hard. The withdrawal symptoms are quite strong, can't sleep at all without taking it and they don't seem to get better with time. I tried a week with no sleep, so going to try VERY gradual withdrawal.”

Anonymous September 28, 2019

“My doctor prescribes Quetiapine 50 MG for my anxiety, I took one before bed time. Unfortunately I couldn’t sleep, it felt like I’m closing my eyes but couldn’t shutdown my brain. After 6 hours of very light and inconsistent sleep I decided not to stay in bed and get up. Once I sat down I start feeling my heart pounding very hard. I went to the restroom and then the palpitations went from bad to worse, then I got severe panic attack that last for almost 45 minutes. It was a horrible experience for me!”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 13, 2020

“I was on a benzo for 20 years was not told to take it when required. I took daily. Tapered off the benzo which took me 2 years of nightmarish withdrawals...I now take quetiapine 25 mgs at night. And half of a 12.5 prn. It helps and is not as addictive as a benzo for anxiety. It is what it is for me.”

FrankLeeSpeeking · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2016

“That Seroquel "XR" works so fantastically well for my severe GAD/Social Anxiety comes as a surprise to me. I was hesitant st first to use an anti-psychotic for this. Turns out that the "XR" version of Seroquel behaves differently, doesn't have the drawbacks of the 'regular' version. I don't become a zombie on Seroquel XR, in fact I take it in the morning & then go about my day. Within a couple of hours or so I feel Calm-As-a-Cucumber, I stop sweating, no more racing thoughts and even my speech improves. And no heavy sedation. But a warm calmness that I would describe as opiate-like. Seroquel XR is a major, major help to me. Thank god for it.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder