User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 5, 2020

“Whatever your condition, from my experience do not start taking this drug quetiapine. I speak from experience with bipolar, major depression, and anxiety. The side effects are far worse than any benefits. The only benefit I have found is some help with sleep, but even that is inconsistent and sometimes my overall sleep is much worse (fewer hours). It causes massive weight gain over time and dependency. Once you take it, you feel like you won't be able to sleep without it. I have been on it for years and have been unable to get off it, even though at this point I am on a low dose of 25 mg when I used to be on a high dose.”

Eire DOD March 8, 2020

“I started this med quetiapine about 3 wks ago at a dose of 25mg. I go to sleep shortly after taking it but wake up during the night for an hour or so and sometimes find it hard to get back to sleep. It has reduced my anxiety and I find myself being more friendly/open. I have lost weight and seem to eat less also. I also take effexor 150mg.”

ekech February 14, 2020

“It worked really well for my generalised anxiety and disassociate disorder, made it manageable. But even on a low dose it has made me pile on the pounds. I've put on 2 stone. I was on 100mg dose and managed to reduce to 75mg because of the weight gain. I am trying to get off it because of the weight but its very hard. The withdrawal symptoms are quite strong, can't sleep at all without taking it and they don't seem to get better with time. I tried a week with no sleep, so going to try VERY gradual withdrawal.”

HoldingOn · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

“I was just prescribed this medication after not really responding to Risperdal well, and having some bad side effects from an SNRI. Don’t know what I have, extremely anxious and paranoid. I’ve seen many good reviews with Seroquel and I do have my hopes up, hoping it does something positive than negative, I don’t need anymore negativity happening to me. So I’m really hoping that it gives me sleep, I’ve been awake for two days. Wish me luck, I hope this med is the one out of many that I will need to know happiness again. Will share experience tomorrow and in a few days. Wish me luck!”

June · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“I was prescribed 25mg of Quetiapine as an alternative to Valiums to treat my recent worsening anxiety and I can honestly say that I have never felt worse in my entire life. I’ve only been on it for FOUR days and have already experienced brain fog and really dark thoughts. I have however noticed that it helps ‘contain’ my anxiety but to an extent where I feel nothing that it’s making me more depressed. I don’t know if it’s normal to feel this way after less than a week of taking this medication? I’ve previously been on Mirtazipine around a year ago, and Quetiapine gives me similar effects such as weight gain, suicidal thoughts, depression, brain fog. I’m returning to my doctor to make a note of that and will never go near this medication ever again.”

Zaisha · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“I am taking Quetiapine since one and a half months .the medicine is very effective in keeping anxiety away. It was prescribed as a mood stabiliser for my bipolar , but has done wonders on my anxiety . 80-90% anxiety gone . Just a very mild anxious transient feeling at time. Earlier the anxiety was debilitating for years and other anxiety pills would work as effective dose would also make me manic”

Sue · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

“I think it has a bounce back effect and causes anxiety”

meh · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2019

“I have been using Seroquel for about 2 years now. I use it for anxiety/panic attacks, 25mg if needed. It helps my anxiety if I take half of pill, 1 or more pills for sleep.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“I sleep much better now I'm on quetiapine I feel calmer and my mind ain't race in as much I take 100mg at night to sleep fill very drowsy when I wake and my knees fill like jelly but I am grate full for good nights sleep”

Sunflower November 19, 2019

“I first started this medication (quetiapine) about a week or so ago. The first two days on it I felt like a complete zombie - I didn't leave my bed for two days and did not eat a single thing. I started this medication on the weekend so I didn't feel weird while I was at work. Fast forward to Monday - I get into work and I could not concentrate as my brain felt foggy and reading my emails felt like the biggest struggle. After the day had passed I had noticed that I wasn't as anxious as I normally am. During the first full week on this I felt great. I wasn't anxious (if I was it was very minimal) and I wasn't angry for no apparent reason anymore. Now two weeks later - all of my symptoms are back and feel way worse. I wake up wit terrible anxiety - so bad that I contemplate calling into work because I'm not able to control my breathing. My mood swings are terrible, the smallest things trigger me and i just overall am feeling bad again. Has this happened to anyone else?”

Chehack · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

“I have been on ciplar 120 but it didn’t work on my anxiety and then also paxil 12.5 which didn’t work either.But because I have bipolar and have manic episodes doctor could not give optimum Paxil dosage for anxiety as it could make me high Qutan 25 mg twice a day works on anxiety in a beautiful way feeling positive, calming and relaxing and reducing anxiety 80-90%.. higher dosage ie 25 mg thrice a day makes me too sleepy. It also works well on my mood stabilising and balances both depression and mania . Plus it’s a feel good medicine”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“I had originally taken 150mg seroquel as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 2 about two years ago. Adjusting to the medication was terrible, as I had gained about 10 pounds, was groggy for hours after I had waken up, and got restless legs. I had stopped taking it due to these effects. Days ago I was prescribed a low dose of 25mg just for sleep and anxiety. The first two nights taken it I got extremely tired within 30 minutes, woke up multiple times throughout the night, had sleep paralysis, and woke up groggy once again. The third night is when I decided not to take it and even after only two nights of it I was still not able to fall asleep for the life of me! I do not recommend this medication as one may become extremely dependent on it and need it for the rest of their lives!”

Princess · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

“I have been diagnosed with GAD for 20 yrs. I have tried most antidepressants but I got more anxiety. Until 3 years ago my doctor prescribed quetiapine it helped me control my anxiety and panic disorder. I love this medication.”

Anonymous September 28, 2019

“My doctor prescribes Quetiapine 50 MG for my anxiety, I took one before bed time. Unfortunately I couldn’t sleep, it felt like I’m closing my eyes but couldn’t shutdown my brain. After 6 hours of very light and inconsistent sleep I decided not to stay in bed and get up. Once I sat down I start feeling my heart pounding very hard. I went to the restroom and then the palpitations went from bad to worse, then I got severe panic attack that last for almost 45 minutes. It was a horrible experience for me!”

Asdfghjkl · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2019

“Took quetiapine for 3 nights; made anxiety unbearably worse and caused severe depression. Slept all day and couldn’t bring myself to do anything. Not the drug for me.”

Bill · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

“All users of drugs of this type need to recognise there is a massive range in responses to any one drug. What is good for one person may be bad for another. This drug (25-75 mg) in combination with 15 mg of mirtazapine works really well for me. I went on it/them 3 years ago when I had a serious anxiety flare up. I can go off and on at will depending on external circumstances, longest time off so far is six months.”

Karen · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“Quetiapine is a very good medication first day I took it 25mg just changed me and my GAD”

Seb · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2019

“It works to reduce obsessiveness and anxiety but has made me go up two dress sizes which is horrible and I HAVE to stop taking it but now I'm lowering my doses the obsessiveness is back. I have been diagnosed with GAD not OCD because I don't have compulsions but only obsess on things.”

Chrilfc · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

“I take 25 mg and it worked for about a month but I have to take 50mg some nights.”

Juliejames · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

“I was prescribed Seroquel 50 mg XR, one pill at bedtime to augment my antidepressant. I only took it for three nights in a row. The anxiety was unbearable after taking the medication. I slept throughout the days and forgot appointments, forgot to take other medication, forgot to eat. The only moments I could keep my eyes open I was in panic. Horrible drug.”

Dizzyshell · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2019

“I've been taking quetiapine for 10 years. 10 years ago I didn't notice any difference, only physically these tablets gave me a stomach ulcer over night, but mentally I never noticed a difference. Back in March 2019 I stopped using quetiapine and for 3 months I was a wreck I can't describe how I was . After trying 3 months off quetiapine I ended up so scared and paranoid I was convinced a neighbour was plotting to take me down. Anyway I chose to go back on quetiapine and the difference in only 48 hours was so shocking . I now know this drug a miracle for me it's just a shame it upset my stomach to the point I can no longer smoke cigs or vape. My dose is 600mg for borderline personality disorder and anxiety disorders.”

Green bottle July 11, 2019

“I have already shared my opinion regarding its use for schizophrenia. This time it is for anxiety. Unfortunately, even with 600 mg quetiapine in the evening, my anxiety disappears for only about 30 minutes. Luckily I have been prescribed xanax to take daily.”

MB · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

“Best drug/antidepressant I've taken for my generalized anxiety. Originally starting taking 12.5mg a couple years ago for insomnia. Now I take 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening. Took about 5 days to have a noticeable effect on my anxiety. My compulsive worrying now feels controllable and I feel much calmer. The only antidepressant I've taken without experiencing major side effects, other than some grogginess at first. I came off it for 3 months without withdrawal symptoms after a year, so don't be afraid to try it! I'm 21.”

Roxy · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

“Just started quetiapine 3 nights ago for Generalized Anxiety. So far I haven't been in any anxiety situations so not sure if it works or not. The first 2 days I was a zombie in the day even after 9/10 hours sleep. I am only on 12.5mg at night. Hopefully it works as I was on Wellbutrin for 4 weeks and that stuff was horrible for me, it gave me the worst anxiety where I was downing ativan daily! Which I never do as my anxiety isn't every day. I go back to my doctor next week to report in if it is working or not. Fingers crossed it does it's job !!!”

Wisal June 5, 2019

“I have used a lot of medicines but the quetiapine worked for me comparatively . I took this drug for 6 months ,my sleep was great, my energy was good , and most disturbing thing panic attacks are silent now because of this. I left this drug due to causing long term effects but it helped me in my panic disorder . At first it given me full blown panic but after a week it settled down and now I was enjoying it.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)