User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I was on 50mg of seroquel for about 12 weeks for bipolar disorder, and my doctor gave the impression that it would help with my anxiety. Well, it didn't... it just made me totally crash! I was originally splitting the dose up into halves, 25 in the morning, 25 at night. It was making me too sleepy during the day, and causing me to take unnecessary naps almost daily. Even when I took 12.5mg in the morning, and 37.5mg at night, it was still bad. Additionally, it caused a number of side effects, including drug induced parkinsons, restless legs that made it very difficult to sit still, and stiff jaw (especially when coming off of it). It gets a five because it did help with my depression."

Lil J1001 November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’m 38 and have only just been prescribed Seroquel this year by a psychiatrist. I went to my doctor with lack of sleep, intrusive thoughts and general anxiety. The lack of sleep was constant and more often than not, I was running through scenarios that happened at work and blowing them of proportion. I have now settled on Seroquel Xl (24 hours) 50mg at night with another 50mg short acting at bed time. My sleep has improved massively and within half an hour of taking and any negative thoughts have gone. I’m free to get a good night’s sleep! Occasionally if I’m overthinking things during the day and stuck in a spiral of negative thoughts, I will take 25mg and this will really help. This drug has changed my life!"

Sweep1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have anxiety/phobias/social phobias/panic attacks/stress/anxiety/generala anxiety disorder. Seroquel was one of the best medicines ever I got for my heavy panic attacks and anxiety etc. Seroquel stabilized me very well in all of my problems and I continue to taking it for 6 months. One of the best antipsychotic drugs out there. I recommend it to you. Also it cause anxiolytic and sleep effects which I would like it when you can't sleep much."

09dibbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is surprisingly risky to take. While it certainly does have a significant effect in terms of reducing tension, anxiety and overthinking and sleep problems, it certainly has some really unpleasant side-effects. For instance it’s extremely sedating, it shuts down the emotional system making it almost impossible to feel any feelings except extreme tiredness and irritability. Not the type of drug I’d recommend anybody, but definitely the drug I’d warn people against taking."

Januscl October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 25 mg to be taken as needed for anxiety. The first time I took it I only took half a pill as suggested by my doctor, this knocked me out. I switched to 1/4 tablet and take it as needed before bed. I have taken the medication like this for 6+ years now and have had no problems, I have seen a significant decrease in my anxiety, and have elevated mood or affect the day after taking it, with the only side effect being grogginess. I was taking Klonopin before this but hated how addictive it was. I have intermittent severe anxiety with paranoia and occasional auditory hallucinations, mania, and depression all of which is helped by even the super low dose of Seroquel."

thewalrus September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been prescribed 25mg seroquel to replace the Valium I take as when required for anxiety & panic attacks. STRONG WARNING IF U HAVE YOUNG KIDS. Don't take it for the first time if U R the ONLY parent around at the time. I wasn't warned by my Psychaitrist & luckily my partner was home when I decided to take it as it completely wiped me out. I passed out within 40 mins of taking it & didn't wake up for 14 hours. I woke up feeling like a zombie. Coffee helped a little. I've taken it 3 times so far. Maybe/hopefully the tingling feeling after taking it & then passing out will subside over time. Otherwise yes, it does help subside anxiety. I'm just not sure if that's because its forced me to sleep & then I'm brain fogged. Will update later."

PatchRight (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered severe Clinical depression for 8 months. A combination of Quetiapine and Venlafaxine succeeded where Antidepressants alone failed. I found Quetiapine useful for Anxiety."

Ian Beach (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has been just wonderful for me. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and an anxiety disorder. It really calms my racing thoughts and smooths me out. I have been on many different doses, all of the way up to 800 mg. I don't know why Dr's sometimes insist on overkill. Anyways, the magic dose for me is 200 mg at bedtime. It keeps me calmed down, and my anxiety stays in check all the next day. I have been taking it for three years and I don't get the brain fog or sleepiness effect anymore. I use 10 mg of Ambien to help me sleep. It does okay, but the combination doesn't "knock me out" like it does some people. Overall, Seroquel is great for me, but it is very rough on others. it is worth a try at least."

DonAllen1973 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 300mg for severe anxiety and depression. Only real help has been sleep and no bad side effects. Love the stuff for that reason but I wish it helped with more the anxiety and depression as I've been on every antidepressant."

Emiie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking 100mg quetiapine to help me sleep. Only been on it 5 days. I suffer from anxiety-sometimes severe, depression-sometimes severe & severe pain from severe osteoarthritis, severe back pain from multiple surgeries & degenerate disc disease. Anyway, thus far quetiapine seems to help me sleep somewhat. Still waking up too early, average 4 hours sleep per night & I feel real foggy. Not sure what to do cause I was taking trazadon which helped me sleep but nasty stuff. So from a lot of reviews I've read here it seems quetiapine affects a lot of people differently. I'm so scared of it yet I'm exhausted from lack of sleep which causes me more anxiety & depression. I've not gotten a decent night's sleep in months. Any suggestions?"

Virginia Redhead (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on seroquel XR 50mg for the past 8 months for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and intrusive racing thoughts. Only take it in the evening before bedtime. This helps me sleep through the night and not wake up in the middle of the night with panic/anxiety issues! It is somewhat sedating, and do have issues waking up in the morning, but coffee helps. I didn't gain any weight on it as it helps me get going during the day on things that would usually drive me into a panic situation! I actually enjoy going out for walks and socialising now as opposed to being apprehensive and terrified of (insert intrusive thoughts)! Needs some adjustments occasionally; on weeks I'm doing well I only take half of the 50mg dose and do Ok."

FrazzledFox (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and Generalized anxiety disorder in a residential treatment center. I was dependent on 4mg of klonopin a day, and when I started to taper off the panic attacks and lack of sleep was so UNREAL. My doctor put me on seroquel 25mg twice a day and 50mg at night time. It makes me really tired so it helps me sleep. I used to wake up groggy, but not anymore. overall, great medication. I'm now on 50mg a day as needed, and 50mg at nighttime. Seroquel REALLY helps my panic attacks. The dose I'm at doesn't make me as tired as it used to. I'm on remeron at night time so the two really knock me out. Overall, great medication. Only side effects: bad dry mouth, sleepiness"

hahaha6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started a week ago and haven't had a panic attack or episode since"

Neasha (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"OMG i cannot believe my "psychiatrist" had prescribed me this med at first I was ok I thought it made me feel tired enough to sleep after about an hour and she also let me still be on lorazapam because I was already taking that for my anxiety. Well I have been on these pills 25 mg two times a day for about a month. And I have gained almost 20lbs and when I try to sleep my legs go crazy. I have been having severe restless leg. and I mean my legs would kick hard when I am trying to sleep. So last night my man was trying to keep me calm and tell me it will be ok and he told me to look up the med and the side effects. I am now in tears after reading all the bad effects and its isn't good for anxiety ADHD & mood disorders I hate dr's who know nada."

buddytonkas (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My GP prescribed Seroquel XR 50mg to be taken at bedtime for worsening anxiety symptoms and horrible mood swings. I only took it 2 days and discontinued it because it made me feel disconnected and groggy. I've been using my Ativan more often, but it doesn't provide a sedative effect nearly as bad as Seroquel."

MissLeopard83 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this medication, it started at a very high dose... all I did was sleep, eat, and walk in a fog. The doctor reduced the milligrams and things started to improve...until my body began to act the same way again. Long short of it... I'm down to .30 mg at night. I drag in the mornings but my energy increases as the day passes. I'm working this medication out of my system because I found it to be a very heavy drug to take. This is coming from a person who has taken it for five years."

Christine1221 March 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 50mg at bedtime. It works great for sleep and anxiety. However if I miss even one day I suffer severe headaches and nausea."

ShiksaIncognita (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seroquel is like the silver bullet. It not only relieved me of my anxiety, it also makes me feel positive, serene and generally in a good mood! I am on 125 mg at night. I was on 100mg but went off to try Risperidone ( to try to help with the weight gain). Risperidone was not nearly as effective for me as Seroquel so I went back on but 100 mg wasn't enough so I upped it to 125mg and I am back to feeling great! I have had weight gain but I feel so much better being on Serequel. My doctor recommended I cut out carbs and sugar. When I did cut out carbs and sugar I did loose weight but it is difficult for me to stick with."

Sweet Cheri Pie March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication did what it was suppose to do, but the side affects are terrible. If I had been told that these problems I live with now were a remote possibility, I would not have agreed to take this medication. I've taken it for more then 5 years, I've changed my Family Dr. and now have two Neurologists that seem confused that this Medication was ever prescribed to Me. I've stopped taking it on my own, I hope that the damage to my central nervous system can heal."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 25mg and and gained 9lbs in 2weeks. Very hard to wake up in the mornings. Feel tired all day. Switching to pregabalin 50mg. It's better weight wise but very tired all day, gain 5lbs in 4weeks."

Harry79 February 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can honestly that quetipine has saved my life. I take between 25mg during the day and 50mg at night. Anxiety is a wearing experience, like a caterpillar gnawing away at your well-being in an endless cycle. I have been on it about 7 years now and I was prescribed it by a one-time visit to a psychiatrist at the surgery. The winter months with the dark nights here in the UK can be unremitting, but this little pill does so much and is not addictive.. If you're in doubt, go for it... although all drugs work differently for everyone."

mutley7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed by shrink for insomnia and anxiety when was having a terrible time trying to get off benzos. Has worked very well albeit I have stuck on same dose of benzodiazepines on advice , ie not come down any more. It's great for going to sleep and not waking up at 4 am worried about stuff. Yes it makes you a bit drowsy and you do eat more . It reminds me of the munchies. Best thing is just to go to bed. I wanted to say though that the dose is critical. For sleep dose very low. I take 12.5 mg . I went up to 25mg and was a zombie it was horrible. If you have a shitty time try halving t he dose. I know it does different things at different levels and maybe if you took a whole lot more then it would work in a different way ."

Tedium December 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"That Seroquel "XR" works so fantastically well for my severe GAD/Social Anxiety comes as a surprise to me. I was hesitant st first to use an anti-psychotic for this. Turns out that the "XR" version of Seroquel behaves differently, doesn't have the drawbacks of the 'regular' version. I don't become a zombie on Seroquel XR, in fact I take it in the morning & then go about my day. Within a couple of hours or so I feel Calm-As-a-Cucumber, I stop sweating, no more racing thoughts and even my speech improves. And no heavy sedation. But a warm calmness that I would describe as opiate-like. Seroquel XR is a major, major help to me. Thank god for it."

FrankLeeSpeeking (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ive had anxiety, panic, and depression for 8 months. Its been Hell. SSRI's are scary to me, and I had a bad experience with one. I searched non SSRI and found Quetiapine, which is the generic Seroquel. I take 25mg during the day, sometimes twice a day, and 1x25mg at night before bed. Helps calm down the anxiety so I can sleep at night, and function at work during the day. No bad side effects. Small doses almost act like a heavy antihistamine. Makes me a little drowsy, but its worth it to be able to function. If your suffering from anxiety, dont be scared to take this medication! Do yourself a favor and just be brave and do it. You will feel better. Nobody wants to take pills, but sometimes enough is enough and we need help."

stout1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 600mg at night, the XR slow release version made me very dizzy, so I take the immediate release version. Anxiety is completely gone, I sleep well, and along with the Effexor SSRI I'm back to my normal happy self. It saved my life"

SillyJilly November 14, 2016