User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 5)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Z Box · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2015

“Helped me sleep, when even benzos and ambien didn't. Also helps with my lack of appetite. I did gain 45lbs the first few months, but eventually I lost the weight. I actually liked the weight gain, I've been underweight my whole life. As far as anxiety, I'd say it helps me relax but doesn't slow my mind down like the Xanax I used to take. Still, mildly effective for anxiety. Download card from website, 30 day supply w no insurance will cost $11, without card, $77. Big difference.”

PatchRight · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2017

“I've been prescribed 25mg seroquel to replace the Valium I take as when required for anxiety & panic attacks. STRONG WARNING IF U HAVE YOUNG KIDS. Don't take it for the first time if U R the ONLY parent around at the time. I wasn't warned by my Psychaitrist & luckily my partner was home when I decided to take it as it completely wiped me out. I passed out within 40 mins of taking it & didn't wake up for 14 hours. I woke up feeling like a zombie. Coffee helped a little. I've taken it 3 times so far. Maybe/hopefully the tingling feeling after taking it & then passing out will subside over time. Otherwise yes, it does help subside anxiety. I'm just not sure if that's because its forced me to sleep & then I'm brain fogged. Will update later.”

Terrytsotso March 31, 2016

“I've been on celexa for about 18 months to help ease overall anxiety I take 30 mg daily and about 10 months ago have been put on seroquel also I take 25mg morning and night. And find that if I stay active and eat healthy I feel fine no anxiety I can handle everything much better. However some days 50 mg daily isn't enough and I take an extra 25mg as needed at night. Only side effects I've noticed is insatiable hunger and craving for sweets. Also gained about 9 kilos in the 10 months apart from that I find seroquel to be very helpful at treating the racing thoughts and shortness of breathe”

Anonymous March 31, 2016

“I began with 25mg Seriquel last night. I am taking TARVs dolutegravir plus boosters. I woke up for the first time in months without anxiety, although I did not sleep more than 6 hours. Perhaps I have to increase the dose.”

Virginia Redhead · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2017

“I just started taking 100mg quetiapine to help me sleep. Only been on it 5 days. I suffer from anxiety-sometimes severe, depression-sometimes severe & severe pain from severe osteoarthritis, severe back pain from multiple surgeries & degenerate disc disease. Anyway, thus far quetiapine seems to help me sleep somewhat. Still waking up too early, average 4 hours sleep per night & I feel real foggy. Not sure what to do cause I was taking trazadon which helped me sleep but nasty stuff. So from a lot of reviews I've read here it seems quetiapine affects a lot of people differently. I'm so scared of it yet I'm exhausted from lack of sleep which causes me more anxiety & depression. I've not gotten a decent night's sleep in months. Any suggestions?”

Green bottle July 11, 2019

“I have already shared my opinion regarding its use for schizophrenia. This time it is for anxiety. Unfortunately, even with 600 mg quetiapine in the evening, my anxiety disappears for only about 30 minutes. Luckily I have been prescribed xanax to take daily.”

Bassmaster · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2018

“Have been taking 50mg daily for over 6 months now and it has been a life saver. It has taken my anxiety from a 9/10 to 2/10 with very few and far between panic attacks that are mild at best. Only negative side effects I experience is decreased libido for which I take 50mg of trazadone to counteract and weight gain which seems to be the norm for this drug.”

coxysmelons · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2015

“Been on 25mg twice a day for 3 weeks and not much of an effect except drowsy. Certainly helps with sleep and I kind of feel like it numbs me down a little bit. Still willing to keep trying but doesn't compare to Benzos.”

buddytonkas · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2017

“OMG i cannot believe my "psychiatrist" had prescribed me this med at first I was ok I thought it made me feel tired enough to sleep after about an hour and she also let me still be on lorazapam because I was already taking that for my anxiety. Well I have been on these pills 25 mg two times a day for about a month. And I have gained almost 20lbs and when I try to sleep my legs go crazy. I have been having severe restless leg. and I mean my legs would kick hard when I am trying to sleep. So last night my man was trying to keep me calm and tell me it will be ok and he told me to look up the med and the side effects. I am now in tears after reading all the bad effects and its isn't good for anxiety ADHD & mood disorders I hate dr's who know nada.”

Nd · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2018

“The first dose I took was 0.25 mg at night, and I was knocked out within 1 hour. I took a morning dose at 0.25 mg, and I had the worst experience. I was heavily sedated. I tried kneading bread, which made me feel like passing out. My psychiatrist told me to stop taking it, and I am starting abilify tomorrow evening. Trying not to lose hope. Best of luck.”

Stefanos108 April 22, 2010

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I began taking 50 mg of Seroquel XR, which I am told is a very low dose. I feel much calmer during the stressful workday, so calm in fact that all I want to do is take a nap. I can hardly stay awake. Also, I'm having difficulty with mental acuity and feeling emotionally dulled. I did not take a dose last night, otherwise I probably wouldn't be capable of writing this. I'm wondering if this sleepiness persists once I've been on it for a while, or if it lessens.”

Christine1221 March 31, 2017

“I was put on this medication, it started at a very high dose... all I did was sleep, eat, and walk in a fog. The doctor reduced the milligrams and things started to improve...until my body began to act the same way again. Long short of it... I'm down to .30 mg at night. I drag in the mornings but my energy increases as the day passes. I'm working this medication out of my system because I found it to be a very heavy drug to take. This is coming from a person who has taken it for five years.”

Emiie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2017

“Been on 300mg for severe anxiety and depression. Only real help has been sleep and no bad side effects. Love the stuff for that reason but I wish it helped with more the anxiety and depression as I've been on every antidepressant.”

happyloki · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 24, 2018

“I just wanted to say if anybody taking this has a heart attack and gets put on six different heart medications and has suddenly starts getting really bad reactions, make sure your doctor considers it might be a reaction to the mix of quetiapine with the heart meds (and not just a reaction to the heart meds in general). As soon as I stopped quetiapine I stopped feeling like I'd been poisoned every night. I'm probably just really unlucky, I can generally handle most side effects from the gazillion psych meds I've had over the years, but this really did make me feel terrible. On a side note I had no problems with it before the heart attack and it helped a bit with my anxiety.”

Lil J1001 November 30, 2017

“I was on 50mg of seroquel for about 12 weeks for bipolar disorder, and my doctor gave the impression that it would help with my anxiety. Well, it didn't... it just made me totally crash! I was originally splitting the dose up into halves, 25 in the morning, 25 at night. It was making me too sleepy during the day, and causing me to take unnecessary naps almost daily. Even when I took 12.5mg in the morning, and 37.5mg at night, it was still bad. Additionally, it caused a number of side effects, including drug induced parkinsons, restless legs that made it very difficult to sit still, and stiff jaw (especially when coming off of it). It gets a five because it did help with my depression.”

Georgia SS · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 16, 2014

“I live in New Zealand. I took less tan 25mg once a night (I'd break it in half, sometimes even quarters) and it helped me sleep, reduced anxiety, and helped stabilize my mood. I took this with 40mg of fluoxetine. I've returned to taking it with 225mg of venlafaxine a few times to ease anxiety when needed. After about 12 months of taking it, I began to feel very lethargic, and generally slow, and my short term memory basically stopped existing. I had to stop taking it then. I wish it were available to 12.5mg tablets. My main issue was having to take more than needed due to the tablet size.”

KRCROX January 8, 2012

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I loved how the XR worked for me. I was on 50mg at night. Was a 30 day trial to see if it would help me, it did. My GP gave me the XR then my psychiatrist switched me to the IR 25mg so I could take either 1 or 2 pills depending how I felt. That seemed to be working okay but I had another anxiety attack and it has been 5 days since and I am still not recovered. Tonight I am going to take the XR and see what tomorrow brings. Luckily I do go to my Dr. as well. I am sure that I will feel better tomorrow as I felt great the day after my first XR dose.”

orangetoday2313 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2016

“I was prescribed Seroquel as an emergency anxiety medication several months ago. It definitely helps in a pinch, but it caused me to gain weight and made me very zombie-like. However, I do not have any of the conditions it is most prescribed for so I'm not sure how well it works for everyone else.”

Noah1 September 13, 2015

“150 Mg controls my anxiety but leave me very tired. Within 2 hours of taking it at night I feel drugged and have to go to bed. I sleep all night without waking but sleep at least 10 hours a night. I'm looking for an alternative without the side effect.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 10, 2017

“This medication did what it was suppose to do, but the side affects are terrible. If I had been told that these problems I live with now were a remote possibility, I would not have agreed to take this medication. I've taken it for more then 5 years, I've changed my Family Dr. and now have two Neurologists that seem confused that this Medication was ever prescribed to Me. I've stopped taking it on my own, I hope that the damage to my central nervous system can heal.”

ShabbyChicbee November 3, 2015

“I've been put on Pregabalin a week ago and the psychiatrist also put me on quetiapine which I took for the first time yesterday. After a couple of hours sleep I ended up waking with my pulse pounding in my neck and passed out for a few seconds. Managed to ring 999 and got checked out. I was ok but Doc said to stop them as she'd seen this reaction a few times. Never again”

Sabrina Jo March 8, 2016

“Have taken this for last six years, primarily to sleep at night, since I don't work and can never get tired on my own, and have major anxiety issues. I only take 100 mgs. but if you keep on taking it , at least for me, your body just gets used to it. Have gained almost 50 lbs. on it and I don't even eat a lot. I do like a sugary snack every day, but can't believe the weight gain this has caused. I can't exercise due to feet problems, even tho docs keep pushing to get out there and exercise. So this is a good drug if you don't have to get up the next day early to help you stay asleep, but taking it during the day time made me like a zombie, too out of it. I wish there was a better sleep aid that KEPT you asleep for 9 hours!”

Tori1 August 28, 2010

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Just started taking medication, 50mg the first really good nights sleep in a long time. I have been reading about all of the side effects and am concerned as I am taking some of the medicines that counteract with this medicine and it seems all the side effects that are listed are the ones I'm trying to get rid of. It's worth a try, will let you know how it turns out.”

Anonymous May 17, 2010

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “Excellent for sleep onset - up to a point. If things get really bad, I've had to augment it with temazepam and Valium. I also have depression. I was on and off it for about 3 months and it causes brain fog and word retrieval problems. There is also a significant increase in appetite, but it's not as bad as Remeron.”

Melsnuthouse July 12, 2016

“One 50mg dose, given to help me sleep in hospital, kept me up & walking the halls for 23 hours. Could not stand or sit still. Legs very restless. Now dr prescribe seroquel again, because the 0.5 mg. bid of Klonopin does not help with panic attacks. Do I try this med, since last time was like being on speed, or just get used to being a hermit?”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder