User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 3)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Anonymous April 13, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): “My doctor prescribed Seroquel for a number of Psychiatric conditions I have. They are: Depression (already on 40mg Celexa for this, Seroquel helped as an add on), OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder, Anorexia, mood instability. Seroquel helps with all these conditions, although it causes moderate constipation.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

“I had originally taken 150mg seroquel as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 2 about two years ago. Adjusting to the medication was terrible, as I had gained about 10 pounds, was groggy for hours after I had waken up, and got restless legs. I had stopped taking it due to these effects. Days ago I was prescribed a low dose of 25mg just for sleep and anxiety. The first two nights taken it I got extremely tired within 30 minutes, woke up multiple times throughout the night, had sleep paralysis, and woke up groggy once again. The third night is when I decided not to take it and even after only two nights of it I was still not able to fall asleep for the life of me! I do not recommend this medication as one may become extremely dependent on it and need it for the rest of their lives!”

SillyJilly November 14, 2016

“I take 600mg at night, the XR slow release version made me very dizzy, so I take the immediate release version. Anxiety is completely gone, I sleep well, and along with the Effexor SSRI I'm back to my normal happy self. It saved my life”

Happygirl31 October 19, 2010

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I was on Seroqyel for two years and loved it except at the beginning was very sleepy but went away after a few weeks. Very shaky but rather than that was wonderful. I am drug free and loving it today though, easy to go off it too.”

May jean · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2018

“Have used this drug for 4 years, in combination with lorazepam for panic attacks and anxiety which was causing me not to sleep. Started at 25 mg, after one week went down to 12.5 mg. as found I needed approx. 10 hrs. sleep or was groggy in the mornings. Am now off the lorazepam but still take 6 mg quetiapine (1/4 of a pill) to sleep. I have tried to come off it completely but find my mind won't calm down and enable me to get to sleep without it. My doctor says that at such a low dosage it's likely more a placebo effect. But it works for me and I get a good 8 hrs sleep and feel rested. As I am 68 yrs old I have no problem staying on it for life. I have not experienced any side effects and in fact have lost weight.”

AnnaPurnA4 · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2016

“ please tell the ones who is suffering from anxiety to use lavender chamomile spray by air wick. it gives immediate relief , doctors not letting know patients about this. please spread the word!!. Please keep this post here.”

K. p February 8, 2016

“Seroquel has changed my life so much. The only regret I have about taking it is that I didn't take it much earlier in life. I used to be a very anxious, shy girl. Now people describe me as outgoing, life of the party. I no longer feel afraid of people and I don't have panic attacks like I used to. The only side effect I experienced was a 30 pound weight gain within a year (which is unusual on a low dose of 150mg per day). My dr. had added topamax to curb my appetite and it is working. Overall, I love seroquel.”

Cor3 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2013

“I sleep much better with Seroquel. I have anxiety and sleep like a baby. I take 25mg and find myself clear headed, calmer and refreshed in the morning. I read about the side effects and am concerned, although do not experience the weight gain. I watch how much I eat and may get some water retention from it but that is it. My weight has only gained a few pounds, if any. I do worry about eye problems. I had my first experience with an ocular migraine a few months ago and wondering if that is related to this medicine.”

thewalrus September 21, 2017

“I was prescribed 25 mg to be taken as needed for anxiety. The first time I took it I only took half a pill as suggested by my doctor, this knocked me out. I switched to 1/4 tablet and take it as needed before bed. I have taken the medication like this for 6+ years now and have had no problems, I have seen a significant decrease in my anxiety, and have elevated mood or affect the day after taking it, with the only side effect being grogginess. I was taking Klonopin before this but hated how addictive it was. I have intermittent severe anxiety with paranoia and occasional auditory hallucinations, mania, and depression all of which is helped by even the super low dose of Seroquel.”

Roxy · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

“Just started quetiapine 3 nights ago for Generalized Anxiety. So far I haven't been in any anxiety situations so not sure if it works or not. The first 2 days I was a zombie in the day even after 9/10 hours sleep. I am only on 12.5mg at night. Hopefully it works as I was on Wellbutrin for 4 weeks and that stuff was horrible for me, it gave me the worst anxiety where I was downing ativan daily! Which I never do as my anxiety isn't every day. I go back to my doctor next week to report in if it is working or not. Fingers crossed it does it's job !!!”

Ms. Brown July 5, 2011

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I've been using Seroquel now for 4 years. I suffer with anxiety and can't sleep at night. Seroquel has helped me sleep and helps me throughout the day with my anxiety, if I feel anxious I take a 25mg and it alleviates the anxiety for me. I think it's very good for both. It has helped me tremendously.”

FrazzledFox · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2017

“I've been on seroquel XR 50mg for the past 8 months for Generalised Anxiety Disorder and intrusive racing thoughts. Only take it in the evening before bedtime. This helps me sleep through the night and not wake up in the middle of the night with panic/anxiety issues! It is somewhat sedating, and do have issues waking up in the morning, but coffee helps. I didn't gain any weight on it as it helps me get going during the day on things that would usually drive me into a panic situation! I actually enjoy going out for walks and socialising now as opposed to being apprehensive and terrified of (insert intrusive thoughts)! Needs some adjustments occasionally; on weeks I'm doing well I only take half of the 50mg dose and do Ok.”

09dibbie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 31, 2017

“I have anxiety/phobias/social phobias/panic attacks/stress/anxiety/generala anxiety disorder. Seroquel was one of the best medicines ever I got for my heavy panic attacks and anxiety etc. Seroquel stabilized me very well in all of my problems and I continue to taking it for 6 months. One of the best antipsychotic drugs out there. I recommend it to you. Also it cause anxiolytic and sleep effects which I would like it when you can't sleep much.”

cobweb July 2, 2018

“50 mg helps neutralise a Borderline Personality Disorder, anxiety and paranoid episode. I find in this state it does not make me sleep, but rather calms me enough to not act in a rash, impulsive manner, and helps quieten my irrational thoughts.”

Anonymous August 19, 2016

“I have been dealing with undiagnosed depression and anxiety for the last year or so, and a few weeks ago I was finally diagnosed with both, and I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft, initially, and then 100mg eventually. While the Zoloft was helping with my depression, it made me unbearably anxious. My dosage was lowered to 75mg and I was prescribed Seroquel as well. The combination of both has been very successful. I feel no sadness or anxiety currently, and I take 12.5mg each of Seroquel in the morning and the evening. I'm a little slow and lethargic, but otherwise have had no side effects, and the lethargy is usually solved by a 30-minute nap. In low doses, I highly recommend this drug.”

Seb · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2019

“It works to reduce obsessiveness and anxiety but has made me go up two dress sizes which is horrible and I HAVE to stop taking it but now I'm lowering my doses the obsessiveness is back. I have been diagnosed with GAD not OCD because I don't have compulsions but only obsess on things.”

Bev · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 16, 2018

“8 years ago I had a pyschotic episode which resulted in being sectioned under the mental health act 1983 (UK) . I don't have a mental health condition. Back in the day you would say I had a break down but it's actually recored as an acute pyschotic episode. It has taken me a long time to get back to who I was but now that I am on a dose of 50mg. I don't over think things anymore. If your doc has prescribed these for pyschotic symptoms I would try and bear with it. After first the side effect are quite bad. I was on 300mg in hospital and for a couple of years after. Its only been in the last year I have been able to reduce them. In the 8 years I have been taking this medication I've tried to reduce it several times but became unwell again. I know my signs of becoming unwell ,I always seek help and supervision from doctors or mental health. I'm now on 50mg so it can be done. I hope this helps anyone in similar circumstances.”

Juliejames · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

“I was prescribed Seroquel 50 mg XR, one pill at bedtime to augment my antidepressant. I only took it for three nights in a row. The anxiety was unbearable after taking the medication. I slept throughout the days and forgot appointments, forgot to take other medication, forgot to eat. The only moments I could keep my eyes open I was in panic. Horrible drug.”

Alexander-X · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2015

“Seroquel has been pimped out by Astra Zeneca as some kind of wonder drug when in fact it is messy, highly sedative, and possibly life-threatening. This medication acts on pretty much every receptor, even histamine. It doesn't really seem selective at the least when you analyze it's affect on the brain. This 'medicine' dopes you up more than any drug I've seen. Even heroin addicts have more energy and ambition. It simply is an all around slowly poisoning anyone who takes these horse tranquilizers; they turn your brain to mush! Get off them as fast as possible. I was lucky to be able to quit with very little adverse effects.”

Averis · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2015

“This drug has been a life saver from my anxiety and insomnia. Maybe there's a few minor side effects drowsiness being the worst but I take 25mg at night and can finally sleep, the first couple days were pretty rough heart pounding and felt like a zombie but as time goes on that seems to be subsiding I have a bit of an eating disorder and serequel helps me with eating I don't mind gaining a few pounds on this drug considering I was a 110 pound 20 year old man this drug saved me life took me out of a deep depression stage and helped with my anxiety, other drugs I tried and didn't work, ativan, xanax, clonazepam, clorazapate, Valium, buspar, nozinan, zoloft, mirtazapine (don't ever take this drug gave me seizures), prozac, and many others serequel has worked wonders for me”

Sweet Cheri Pie March 27, 2017

“Seroquel is like the silver bullet. It not only relieved me of my anxiety, it also makes me feel positive, serene and generally in a good mood! I am on 125 mg at night. I was on 100mg but went off to try Risperidone ( to try to help with the weight gain). Risperidone was not nearly as effective for me as Seroquel so I went back on but 100 mg wasn't enough so I upped it to 125mg and I am back to feeling great! I have had weight gain but I feel so much better being on Serequel. My doctor recommended I cut out carbs and sugar. When I did cut out carbs and sugar I did loose weight but it is difficult for me to stick with.”

Megathecandyman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2015

“Great drug 400 time release I have been house bound for several years with anxiety I have been taking this for nearly a year at the start a lot of side effects they went after a month so stick with it it will get better. I can now lead a normal life this drug as saved my life and given me hope for the future thanks quitieapin”

Darcyb July 16, 2014

“I've been taking quetiapine 25mg day and night for about a month now. I find it is great for taking away anxiety, but I am so so tired could sleep the clock round. I'm also on 20 mg Cipralex for depression. I have no energy to do anything. ”

MissLeopard83 June 30, 2018

“I wanted to update my review for Seroquel in the use of treating my GAD. My former GP prescribed Seroquel XR 50mg for anxiety and I found that it made me a zombie - I felt completely disconnected and wanted to sleep all day long. However, my psychiatrist recommended using the regular version instead and prescribed Seroquel 50mg normal release. It has made such a difference in the way I feel! Granted, I do still have periods of fatigue, but nothing like the XR version. I'm able to function normally most of the time. It is a lifesaver!”

Anon112233 January 3, 2016

“Last year I was put on Effexor for anxiety and ended up becoming manic. The doctor in the ER put me on this and Epival to stop the rapid cycling mania. Now that I have it under control, they removed the Epival but kept me on this for my extreme anxiety. I take 600mgs at night, it is a pretty high dose, but the higher the dose with this med , the less sedating it is believe it or not. It has been a life saver, yes, the first month was tough, I would wake up slurring my words and very confused, but now after 5 months it works great. I have no gained much weight from it, around 15lbs, which I needed as I was severely underweight . I am very happy with this medication, it calms my ADD and my anxiety.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder