User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 4)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Bill November 29, 2018

“I have struggled with extreme anxiety and depression for over 15 years. The first several years were conventional treatment of Paxil and Serax, a benzodiazepine. Unfortunately, benzos are extremely addicting and extremely dangerous to quit without help. I reached a crisis point around 8 months ago where everything seemingly stopped working all at once. The benzo treatment had reached the end of it's usefulness and was now causing anxiety instead of easing it. This was when my doctor prescribed low doses 12.5-25 mg. 1-2 times a day of seroquel to augment my Paxil. I am not going to rave about it, but it is an alternative for those who are slim on options. My Dr. says it is non habit forming, but until I see it myself when I try to discontinue them, I am wary of this claim. It does work very well in helping intense anxiety and fairly well for depression.”

AshHon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2018

“Hi I started on 25mg of quetiapine in morning and night for anxiety. It was not doing much last week so I got put on three 25mg daily !! Tuesday of this week I was in so much panic and nerve damage pain he has put it up again to 50mg 3 times a day!! Now I can't sleep feel confused and spaced out!! I am a single parent of a 7 year old daughter and I now feel like a vegetable!! Does anyone else out there have any ideas please???”

dd42yhd January 28, 2013

“I have found Seroquel extremely helpful for my anxiety. I take a low dose and within the hour my anxiety is gone and it also helps me sleep better. The only BAD thing I have to say about it is I've had vision problems and my doctor and eye doctor believe its related the to Seroquel.”

OodlesOPoodles · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2015

“I'm a 25yr old woman who is recovering from a hysterectomy and my psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel- 50mg at night to help me cope with my GAD before and after my hysterectomy. So far, it's helped significantly with my GAD and PTSD. It is quite sedating but it's nothing too intense. More so relaxing and definitely helpful since falling asleep was an issue. Now, I sleep through most nights! I've read some reviews and some people have had terrible luck with this drug. My rule of thumb is always talk with your doctor and seriously weigh the side effects with your long term quality of life. Some drugs don't always mix well with certain people but only you could know that and make that call. For me, this drug is worth its weight in gold!”

hahaha6 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2017

“I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and Generalized anxiety disorder in a residential treatment center. I was dependent on 4mg of klonopin a day, and when I started to taper off the panic attacks and lack of sleep was so UNREAL. My doctor put me on seroquel 25mg twice a day and 50mg at night time. It makes me really tired so it helps me sleep. I used to wake up groggy, but not anymore. overall, great medication. I'm now on 50mg a day as needed, and 50mg at nighttime. Seroquel REALLY helps my panic attacks. The dose I'm at doesn't make me as tired as it used to. I'm on remeron at night time so the two really knock me out. Overall, great medication. Only side effects: bad dry mouth, sleepiness”

My miracle drug · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 20, 2016

“Seroquel gets rid of 95% of my anxiety and severe insomnia. I've tried everything else. I don't feel drugged. I just feel something like a normal person. Its amazing. It only got rid of about 30% of my depression, but together with with Lamictal they cover 80% of my depression as long as I make sure to stay social. I take 350 mg about 2 hours before bed. It was EXTREMELY sedating at first, but within a month (maybe 2 weeks), I adapted to each new dose increase. I do have to make sure to get 8-10 hours of sleep every night, but a big part of that is my CFS and sleep apnea. We slowly went up over the course of 3 months to get to 300 mg. And after being on it about 2 years, I had to raise it to 350 mg because it wasn't working as well.”

dvws1 April 20, 2012

“My Doctor started me on quetiapine after I had been having anxiety and panic attacks. The first few days I felt real groggy and they sure make you sleep well. I haven't had any side effects like I did with antidepressants. I just hope they work for me.”

Kat298 July 19, 2016

“I've been using seroquel 25mg 4 times per day as needed since September of 2001 and it is still very effective with both my anxiety and depression. I did gain about 10 pounds using it, but I am still well within my BMI range and am physically active and can control my appetite. This med is possibly the best one that has ever been prescribed to help both my anxiety and long history of depression. My one important concern is that my white blood count is slightly lower than it should be and has been lower for 6 years now. I'm hoping my white blood count does not drop lower and stays where it is.”

Tedium December 24, 2016

“Prescribed by shrink for insomnia and anxiety when was having a terrible time trying to get off benzos. Has worked very well albeit I have stuck on same dose of benzodiazepines on advice , ie not come down any more. It's great for going to sleep and not waking up at 4 am worried about stuff. Yes it makes you a bit drowsy and you do eat more . It reminds me of the munchies. Best thing is just to go to bed. I wanted to say though that the dose is critical. For sleep dose very low. I take 12.5 mg . I went up to 25mg and was a zombie it was horrible. If you have a shitty time try halving t he dose. I know it does different things at different levels and maybe if you took a whole lot more then it would work in a different way .”

BanSeroquelXR January 18, 2012

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “SEVERE WEIGHT GAIN and METABOLIC SYNDROME! I had always suffered from anxiety from childhood to adulthood. My doctor prescribed a low dosage of 150 MG in December 2010, At the time I was prescribed Seroquel XR 150 MG, I weighed 96 lbs, petite frame, size 0 or 2. On January 11, 2012, I weighed in at 136 lbs. The 40 lbs of weight gain within one year went to my abdomen and I am covered in cellulite on my abs, hips, back, buttocks and thighs. I monitored my diet and intake the entire time, but the weight gain was out of control.”

DonAllen1973 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 27, 2017

“This medicine has been just wonderful for me. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and an anxiety disorder. It really calms my racing thoughts and smooths me out. I have been on many different doses, all of the way up to 800 mg. I don't know why Dr's sometimes insist on overkill. Anyways, the magic dose for me is 200 mg at bedtime. It keeps me calmed down, and my anxiety stays in check all the next day. I have been taking it for three years and I don't get the brain fog or sleepiness effect anymore. I use 10 mg of Ambien to help me sleep. It does okay, but the combination doesn't "knock me out" like it does some people. Overall, Seroquel is great for me, but it is very rough on others. it is worth a try at least.”

Marcus December 27, 2018

“I have had episodes of extreme anxiety/depression, but on my third episode I was under constant stress at work so could not heal naturally. There fore I was put on SSRI's and benzo's but they did nothing. Then I was put on Avanza which worked for a month then suddenly stopped. Then I got a thyroid problem and I was in a bad way so they put me on Seroquel 300mg with a month off work. It worked fine, I felt good so went back to work and then I relapsed again. I ended up in hospital and they finally diagnosed me with bipolar spectrum disorder after I explained some strange sensations I had experienced, mainly extreme irritability, followed by an inability to get out of bed etc. I am stable and the Seroquel has definitely helped but it does have side effects like weight gain, mental and physical slowness, being dumbed down and the ability to sleep all day unless I have a reason to get up like work. I have started to reduce the dose from 300mg to 250mg and already notice feeling less drugged.”

Kristina W June 25, 2018

“Suffered severe panic attacks and general anxiety on and off for months. Life was horrible to say the least. Tried increasing my antidepressant dose (cipramil), but no effect. Doctor suggested Seroquel XR, 50mg each night. Worked well but was still getting anxious spells. I increased to 75mg, and have had a week without panic. I'm able to work, enjoy things and feel more optimistic about the future. I feel a bit tired an fatigued, but I have recently been diagnosed with anemia, so I think this plays a huge role. Other than that: no side effects. Love this drug!!!!”

Drexc · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2015

“After trying different medications, seroquel 50mg just changed my life. It is quite sedative but i do a lot of sport as well and have a lot of energy. Iam stable since 3 years with seroquel. Life saver”

marc · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 4, 2020

“Was first put on quetiapine 300mg when I experienced severe anxiety before they found out I had thyroiditis. This may have triggered bipolar, depression and anxiety? Anyway was on 300mg a day and put on 20kg while doing manual work and martial arts.. I was sleeping 12 hours at least on the weekend. And it makes you really hungry after you take it so you eat more as well. But this medication did stabilise me up to a point where I could work. The thing is my cognitive ability has dropped, I have a shocking memory, get confused, my mind goes blank and have lost jobs because of it so reducing my dose, has to be done slowly otherwise you could get bad withdrawals and give up. It is powerful drug but not addictive like the benzo's.”

Januscl October 29, 2017

“This drug is surprisingly risky to take. While it certainly does have a significant effect in terms of reducing tension, anxiety and overthinking and sleep problems, it certainly has some really unpleasant side-effects. For instance it’s extremely sedating, it shuts down the emotional system making it almost impossible to feel any feelings except extreme tiredness and irritability. Not the type of drug I’d recommend anybody, but definitely the drug I’d warn people against taking.”

VUser · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2013

“I've been on quetiapine XR 50mg for almost 2 months mow and it's been great, no anxiety and my head is clear. HOWEVER, I have missed one dose of it once and started having bad heartburn with constant feeling of hunger and I think it's because of that. So, I will probably stop taking it, although I really don't want to.”

ShanW97x October 30, 2018

“I began on 12.5mg as I am small and didn’t tolerate other medications well. I have Generalised anxiety disorder along with depression because the anxiety and all effects from SSRIs. So yeah first week or two great! My suicidal thoughts stopped. I seemed happy again. Well that wore off after two weeks so My doc upped my dose to 12.5 on a morning and 12.5 on a night. Okay now this is where it started I began to question who my daughter is. What life is I began to become disconnected and distant. Not only that I then instead of having thoughts to kill my self I began to constantly be afraid of death afraid I would kill my self. So then I came off them and wow. Brutal. I am now on Amitriptyline which is still doing nothing. I’m holding in I know there is hope! I know this is not my fault and is not forever. Will be going back to doc for a different SSRI and never again will I touch Seroquel. Since I am still disconnected and dissociative.”

Evieheart · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2018

“Thank you for all the positive comments. They have really helped and given me hope. Can I ask roughly how long it took for you to feel an improvement. I have OCD, GAD and low mood. I’ve just gone over two weeks at 50mg at night. Feel very sleepy and eating a lot. Just scared as my Psychiatrist is weaning me off Prozac and Pregabalin so I will just be on Quetiapine. Last time I was on nothing my OCD was so severe I just wanted to end it all. Thank you x”

dereksaunders9 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 28, 2015

“I have been using these about a year or so. I take 300 mg atnight , I never used to sleep or if i didi it was very little, I used to pray for a few hours sleep , since using these I sleep anywhere from 8 hours to as long as I want to , makes me able to handle life a lot better, good luck and take care”

JND711 February 22, 2015

“I have bipolar type 2 for 20 years now. I'm also a registered nurse. I take depakote for my mood stabilizer and lexapro and for about 6 years was on 25mg of seroquel for sleep. It put me to sleep, a very deep restful sleep, but I found come morning when it was time to wake for work I was soooooo groggy throughout the day it was awful....UNTIL when I had to come off my depakote to get pregnant and my doctor said we could increase my seroquel to take its place, that the higher the dose of seroquel 200+ the LESS daytime sleepiness I would have and I wake up feeling refreshed. Most sedating drugs the reverse is true,like for exp. Valium take a tiny dose ok but bigger doses and your asleep. Not true of seroquel. Look it up or ask ur psych”

Mark · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2018

“I don't think this drug is great for panic i'm not sure it should be taken by anyone. When I took my first dose I woke up on the floor in my hallway I have no idea how I made it downstairs last thing I recall I was gong to have a snack before bed, This is a bad drug......there are better drugs for panic disorder....”

Karima · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 10, 2018

“After trying every single antidepressant on offer here my GP agreed to try this. I was previously having panic attacks to the point of feeling like my throat had swollen and/or throwing up daily. I had the slow release version and it helped but I couldn't wake up! I'm now on 25mg normal one at night and my vomiting stopped within the week and I maybe have a panic attack now once every couple of months. It has been my absolute life saver.”

templier · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2015

“I am going on this drug with the dose of 12,5 mg and it is so effective for sleeping. My purpose for taking this drug is insomnia. I just cut the 25 mg tablet into two halves.Side effect of feeling sedation is proiminent for me the next day, I hope I can get used to this effect in a short period.”

GADditude April 20, 2016

“First I was on instant release Seroquel which helped somewhat at 50-100 mg doses. It gave me tachycardia so I switched to XR version. Been now at 200 mg and my anxiety has improved. Little bit foggy and sedated sometimes. Will try to lower the dose to 150 mg and see if it helps.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder