User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder (Page 2)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

FrankLeeSpeeking · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2016

“That Seroquel "XR" works so fantastically well for my severe GAD/Social Anxiety comes as a surprise to me. I was hesitant st first to use an anti-psychotic for this. Turns out that the "XR" version of Seroquel behaves differently, doesn't have the drawbacks of the 'regular' version. I don't become a zombie on Seroquel XR, in fact I take it in the morning & then go about my day. Within a couple of hours or so I feel Calm-As-a-Cucumber, I stop sweating, no more racing thoughts and even my speech improves. And no heavy sedation. But a warm calmness that I would describe as opiate-like. Seroquel XR is a major, major help to me. Thank god for it.”

mutley7 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 3, 2017

“I can honestly that quetipine has saved my life. I take between 25mg during the day and 50mg at night. Anxiety is a wearing experience, like a caterpillar gnawing away at your well-being in an endless cycle. I have been on it about 7 years now and I was prescribed it by a one-time visit to a psychiatrist at the surgery. The winter months with the dark nights here in the UK can be unremitting, but this little pill does so much and is not addictive.. If you're in doubt, go for it... although all drugs work differently for everyone.”

Ashsa · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2016

“I'm a 24 year old female and I started on Quetiapine approx 2 months ago for my anxiety. (x4 25mg tablets throughout the day or when required) I also have pretty bad ADHD aswell as OCD which was only recently diagnosed (I thought those were just personality traits of a Gemini but now it's pretty obvious it runs in the family hehe) It has been pretty good so far but from day one it has just made me eat eat eat. A tablet version of THC in my opinion. I can not control the hunger which is hard as I'm very into my fitness (eg half a cheesecake at 1am last night! Haallp! Besides that and the overheating (and strange dreams) it's a wonder drug. I used to have 3 panic attacks on average a day and now I can live life again. Hope this was helpful.”

arielswimming April 15, 2016

“I found seroquel to be the wonder drug for my anxiety problems (due to long term drug use) I was prescribed it five years ago at 100 mgs a day that has decreased to 50mgs at night but have since made the decision that I am ready to decrease this further to 25mgs a day then down to none as I have been free from addiction for the past five years I have been taking seroquel. In my mind tho I would never have gotten through the debilitating anxiety that followed without the help of seroquel.”

star1234321 September 28, 2013

“This medication has significantly reduced my anxiety. I am currently on 50 mg and I am able to sleep longer without mid night interruptions. Before Seroquel I took 10 mg of Abilify (bad lethargy and restlessness). Life doesn't seem so scary to me anymore.”

lee lee lou lou · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2016

“2 years ago I had anxiety so bad that I would go 4-5 days without eating, I had awful intrusive thoughts and was almost in a constant state of panic, I could not sleep and had issues with early awakening. By the end of it I had suicidal ideations, My doctor first tried Seroquel XR this did not work for me and had me in a constant state of fog and exhaustion then she switched me to seroquel 200mg of a night. After 1 year of being on seroquel I sleep well every night, I no longer have issues with generalised anxiety and feel like a completely different person, nothing bothers me and I am back to being happy go lucky. Yes I have increased appetite but I walk every day and do yoga three times a week so I have not gained any weight whatsoever.”

Sax · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 23, 2016

“I have been an active drug user my whole life and i was diagnosed with psychosis and an anxiety disorder, i highly recommend this medicine for psychosis , within two weeks of taking it i felt my brain chemistry changing and its currently changing my life for the better each day. Works well for anxiety to it calms my nerves down and puts me to sleep: dont know where id be without seroquel :)”

Cat · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 13, 2020

“I was on a benzo for 20 years was not told to take it when required. I took daily. Tapered off the benzo which took me 2 years of nightmarish withdrawals...I now take quetiapine 25 mgs at night. And half of a 12.5 prn. It helps and is not as addictive as a benzo for anxiety. It is what it is for me.”

basket-case · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2014

“I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety, mood instability and had pretty bad insomnia, where I would wake up mid sleep approximately 4 times a night. I've taken Cipralex (20mg) for a year and I've been on Seroquel(25mg) for about 5 months and I find that I'm able to think more clearly and act less impulsively. With my anxiety the physical symptoms have decreased quite a bit though mentally I am in control of my thoughts. As for sleep, I sleep a solid 8 hours a night usually undisturbed. I did experience a bit of a weight gain though (10-20 pounds).”

xrx44x December 29, 2020

“I’ve been diagnosed with insomnia and anxiety. I’m not sure how I got on quetiapine since I’ve been on it for 5 or so years. I was hoping weight gain would be a side effect I had since in underweight but no such luck. I don’t really have any side effects from it, I take 25mg before bed. My anxiety has improved tremendously over the last 5 years, it doesn’t make me so sleepy that I have to go to sleep. It doesn’t take me hours to fall asleep anymore and I no longer wake up after sleeping for an hour or two like I did before. The only downside I’d say is if I don’t sleep more than 4-6 hours I do NOT want to get up. That’s pretty easily manageable for me, I just take it and go to bed/play on my phone for about an hour before I want/need to go to sleep. It takes about 30-45 minutes to kick in so I’m usually sleeping by the time I need to go to sleep.”

MrTonyMan July 14, 2018

“This medicine gave me my life back, by actually controlling anxiety both physically and mentally. For me the only side effects have been weight gain and heart burn both of which I will gladly take for the freedom it has given me from my anxiety. No more panic, no more worry, no more racing thoughts and I can think clearly and logically again. It does not make me sleepy like my doctor said it might but instead just relaxes me enough that sleeping is possible once again. The night time need for snacking is kind of annoying but I'll take it and the freedom this medicine has given me over the crippling anxiety!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“I sleep much better now I'm on quetiapine I feel calmer and my mind ain't race in as much I take 100mg at night to sleep fill very drowsy when I wake and my knees fill like jelly but I am grate full for good nights sleep”

Emily · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

“I was on this drug for about 2 months. It never cured my anxiety or depression. I'm very sensitive to medication side effects, so I started on only 6mg and went up to 12mg. It helped me sleep which was nice, but made it difficult to wake up in the morning. The longer I took it, the more I noticed the side effects, they seemed to be getting stronger. I felt weak and sick before lunch, like it was interfering with my blood sugar levels, eating helped this. I often felt light headed. Straight after taking the medication at night, I felt like it was making my heart race, towards the end it was also giving me chest pain, that's when I stopped taking it, I was scared of having a heart attack. The drug never made me feel any better. As soon as I stopped the drug, I felt like a weight was lifted off me, I felt so much more calm and happy! Turns out the medication was making my anxiety and depression worse! I didn't realise. So happy to be off it.”

Jac. January 24, 2015

“I've been on Zoloft for 7 years. I experienced my first panic attack about 2 years in. Since then it had gotten really bad, so much that I was having 3 or more a week. I was given quetiapine by a psychiatrist. He recommended half a tablet (tab is 25mg) so 12.5mg morning and night, but to start taking it just at night to see how I go on it. The first night I slept about 11 hours. The next night was 8. It sorted itself out after that first night. I still do not take it in the morning as I don't want to be drowsy at work. As far as the panic attacks go, I've been on it for 2 months now and I've only had one. I've been able to accept a promotion that has me work 6 hours from home for a few weeks. I have my life back!”

rsf8776 August 21, 2016

“I take seroquel 50 mg and jovia at night for 7 months already. These meds made me happy and free from my GAD. They cost a lot but they are worth it. I don't gain weight because I don't eat a lot of carbs and sweets. thanks for the happiness i feel. =)”

Dizzyshell · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 16, 2019

“I've been taking quetiapine for 10 years. 10 years ago I didn't notice any difference, only physically these tablets gave me a stomach ulcer over night, but mentally I never noticed a difference. Back in March 2019 I stopped using quetiapine and for 3 months I was a wreck I can't describe how I was . After trying 3 months off quetiapine I ended up so scared and paranoid I was convinced a neighbour was plotting to take me down. Anyway I chose to go back on quetiapine and the difference in only 48 hours was so shocking . I now know this drug a miracle for me it's just a shame it upset my stomach to the point I can no longer smoke cigs or vape. My dose is 600mg for borderline personality disorder and anxiety disorders.”

Chehack · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

“I have been on ciplar 120 but it didn’t work on my anxiety and then also paxil 12.5 which didn’t work either.But because I have bipolar and have manic episodes doctor could not give optimum Paxil dosage for anxiety as it could make me high Qutan 25 mg twice a day works on anxiety in a beautiful way feeling positive, calming and relaxing and reducing anxiety 80-90%.. higher dosage ie 25 mg thrice a day makes me too sleepy. It also works well on my mood stabilising and balances both depression and mania . Plus it’s a feel good medicine”

Long time user · Taken for 10 years or more March 29, 2015

“Been on Seroquel for 10 years along with Celexa. Its a life saver! Anxiety and depression is managable. I feel normal. The only issue is the weight battle. But I would rather be overweight than thin and depressed or worse.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 14, 2016

“I cannot rate seroquel highly enough. I was a mess with constant anxiety that just would not stop. I had tried so many things and seroquel literally changed my life. I take 400 xr and don't really have any side effects, but even if I did I would put up with anything to be rid of the anxiety. I don't know how I managed to get through life before I started taking seroquel”

Carlos · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2018

“I have found quetiapine to be immensely effective in managing my anxiety. I take a 25mg every night before bed so it helps me sleep (especially when I can't seem to turn my brain off!). I tried going without it for a while as I was trying to lose weight and my doctor said the quetiapine likely contributed to my weight gain. I only lasted about 10 days without it. My anxiety was unmanageable and I wasn't sleeping. Other than weight gain, I haven't had any adverse side effects.”

Sweep1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2017

“I’m 38 and have only just been prescribed Seroquel this year by a psychiatrist. I went to my doctor with lack of sleep, intrusive thoughts and general anxiety. The lack of sleep was constant and more often than not, I was running through scenarios that happened at work and blowing them of proportion. I have now settled on Seroquel Xl (24 hours) 50mg at night with another 50mg short acting at bed time. My sleep has improved massively and within half an hour of taking and any negative thoughts have gone. I’m free to get a good night’s sleep! Occasionally if I’m overthinking things during the day and stuck in a spiral of negative thoughts, I will take 25mg and this will really help. This drug has changed my life!”

Wisal June 5, 2019

“I have used a lot of medicines but the quetiapine worked for me comparatively . I took this drug for 6 months ,my sleep was great, my energy was good , and most disturbing thing panic attacks are silent now because of this. I left this drug due to causing long term effects but it helped me in my panic disorder . At first it given me full blown panic but after a week it settled down and now I was enjoying it.”

sjm1986 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 27, 2015

“While this medication hasn't solved everything, 50mg of every night it has helped me get some of my life back. My anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat or work. This has really helped with the more "mental" symptoms of anxiety whereas other medications mostly just helped with the physical (sweaty palms, tremors, chills). It also has helped me sleep tremendously, though I do have some trouble getting up in the morning. No other side effects.”

Bnewton18 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2018

“I have been on this drug twice. The first time I ended up overdosing but bear in mind, I was doing drugs while my body was still getting used to the medication and I was young and stupid. Second time round, absolutely no worries. Prescribed 50mg at night but I only take 25 now, somehow my tolerance decreased and 50 made me a zombie. This drug saved my life. It is the best medicine ever, and this is somebody who reacts badly to medication usually. I have been on it for 18 months continuously now for anxiety, insomnia and as a mood stabiliser. No side effects except a good night's sleep and hunger (which I need). Good luck with this medicine. I truly owe my life to it.”

Anonymous November 26, 2010

Seroquel (quetiapine): “After trying nearly every SSRI on the market I was placed on Pristiq, which improved my condition somewhat, but still left me dependent on Xanax to alleviate my daily anxiety. After a particularly bad stretch I was also placed on Seroquel XR. It has helped more than I could have ever hoped for. I finally don't have to reach for a Xanax as soon as I wake up. It was very sedating for the first week after I started, and after increasing my dosage, but this has lessened with time. I do make sure to take it before bed, as it does make me tired as it kicks in, but I welcome this due to my problems with insomnia.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder