User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Schizophrenia

Seroquel (quetiapine): "helps with delusions and hallucinations with schizophrenia, it doesn't help anxiety but does aid sleep at start but now I can take 400-800 at night and it still won't make me tired just calms my schizophrenia down a lot. It is a very good antipsychotic not sure how people use it for sleep and it did help with sleep for the first week and now it doesn't make me sedated or tired but sedates my mind."

ac674 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this for about 6 months, people say it knocks you out, well I think that it only does this for the first 2 weeks I was on it I take 100mg twice a day and 75mg before bed. It is a very very good medication for schizophrenia as it really blocks most of the delusions and voices and also helps a lot keeping the temper under control but when you flip you really go nuts. This med keeps very stable most of time and helps appetite very well I have not really gained to much weight but its best to do some exercise when you can, helps a bit with anxiety but not enough for me. So I'm currently waiting to go to psych doc to work something out to stop anxiety and I'm thinking lyica as benzos don't really do much for me. All in all very good medication"

ac674 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Wow this medication.. it may have knocked me out many times (put me to sleep).. Hell it may have had made me sleepy 24/7, I would sleep sometimes 18 hours a day I spent a lot of time recovering with this medication.. sleeping. But I can't complain because well.. I have my life back. And I thank all those people who put their time and effort in producing this medication because without them, who knows where I'd be.. right now I'm back in college off of this medication but still on abilify. This drug may not be the cure to schizophrenia.. but it does wonders."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sometimes I feel a bit paralysed from this. But it works like its supposed to do."

Blatts (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Out of all the anti-psychotics I have taken, Seroquel makes me feel the most normal! I was on put on Geodon originally in 2012 when I had my first psychotic break. The Geodon made me gain 60 lb eventually caused insomnia, binge eating, and heavy drinking. Drugs like Fanapt and Lutuda made me more depressed/mind rush. I was put on Seroquel in 2015. My binge eating disorder continued, and I gained 40 lbs that year :/. It made me feel a million times better than Geodon though. I was able to stop popping Xanax and klonopin everyday. I eventually stopped binge eating in October, 2016 and lost the 40lbs. Currently I take 600mg of seroquel and 100mg of Zoloft, and .5 mg of Xanax at night as needed to quiet my thoughts."

Paranoid Schizophrenic (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I take 300mg. It's been 5 years. I was on higher doses, once up to 900 mg. My delusions never went away, but I can control my thoughts better. I think of something delusional, but I don't follow the train of thought. Since I started a serious relationship 2 years ago, I have been working on my anger and paranoia that he would hurt me. It's harder to control my emotions. Right now, I have a outrageous story in my head about him, but after reading the posts on this website, I know these feelings aren't new. I've felt them with my own family. I'm going to a National Alliance of Mental health Illness (NAMI) meeting soon to get support about how lonely it can feel to be exhausted. I pray in the morning to help my negative feelings and meditate at night to be present."

Lana girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This medication was given to me free at my first visit to my psychiatrist. He assured me that he hasn't heard of any adverse side effects. Well this stuff put my entire body into extreme shock. I did not drink alcohol, I don't do drugs, don't smoke, and took proper dosage as prescribed. I was rushed to the hospital on this stuff, first dose. It was like my entire body on the inside was constantly being shocked with electricity and outside I literally could not move or even sit up. My body was shaking and felt freezing and had the feeling of being bruised. Took about 6 to 8 hours to wear off. Did not take again."

Samantha554444 May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Definitely calmed me down during the first-time onset of schizophrenia. However it makes me very sleepy, sometimes I sleep 14 hours a day - and when I wake up I feel like I want to sleep even more. Also resulted in a lot of weight gain. Eventually had to stop taking it because of how tired I always was."

voskhod (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "The drug made me gain weight and become depressed which I was never before using of the drug. I now have an addiction that I can't beat. I would probably sue them for not warning me about the drugs addictive properties. I think this drug may help some people. However people have a right to be informed about what they are getting into."

RG33 March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am using quetiapine 200 MG every day for about two years, and I experienced headaches after one year of consumption once or twice a week I guess it was migraine. And an increase in sweating. Should I keep taking my medicine?"

Piran (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed Seroquel for PTSD. Never again. 25 mg, I had the worst panic attack if my life, I could barely walk, but I was so scared I kept trying to run around. It was horrible. I went absolutely crazy then passed out hard. Not my kind of medication. My mother inlaw takes 250 mg a day for schizophrenia, she has for six months now, so far it is not helping her delusions, hallucinations, paranoia. She was told to take it at supper time and seemed drunk and sedated all evening. She now takes it at bed time but it is not helping her. :("

Meghan1987bezanso September 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been prescribed seraquel now for roughly a year and the side effects are soooooo nasty I wouldn't recommend it at all,the main thing that attacks me relentlessly is the tickles under the skin in the legs and I'm probably keeping the neighbors awake cos Iv gotta keep stretching my legs and wriggling in bed to calm down the relentless torment that comes back maybe every 5/10 seconds for roughly 5/8hrs most nights,I've also got to the point where it feels like I'm going to swallow my tongue for hours on end and I wander if I'm gonna be alive the next day as well,I get to the point where I'm nearly asleep and self resuscitate with a jolt of adrenaline in my heart and a deep breath like I nearly drowned and nearly have a heart attack,it's NASTY"

SmokeyO123456789 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experience depression, anxiety and schizophrenic/general psychotic symptoms and have found even an incredibly low dosage of this to be incredibly helpful, especially in lessening voices. However, it does make me stupidly tired and gives me bad migraines upon waking up in the morning."

Maisyy May 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I complained to a friend of insomnia, mainly stress related. She offered a seroquel on the promise that it would relax me and put me in la la land. I will never again take medicine that is not prescribed for me! For the first time ever... I heard voices starting at 2 am. I heard two men arguing on the other side of my closed bedroom door, loud enough to wake me but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I was too afraid to look because I knew no one was there. Then around 4:30 am I heard a baby crying non stop this lasted until 7:00 am. I sat up for hours listening to what if feels like to be going insane! Never again!"

Lizziepoo April 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been taking seroquel for 17 years . I am diagnosed as schizophrenic but for the last 10 years I have had very little symptoms. After 6 years of being shifted from one med to another all of which made me feel awful, made me put on weight and had no effect on my condition.I was happy to be put on seroquel purely because I felt normal but still had very little effect on my symptoms. I was very reluctant to change meds again so stuck with it . I had my energy back and was getting out exercising and started to loose the weight I'd put on . The schizophrenia was still there but at least I was getting a break from just sitting there with it. It took a while but after 2-3 years the symptoms started to decrease and just kept on decreasing ."

Bazzzaaa1 (taken for 10 years or more) January 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been taking this drug for a few months I'm on a very high dose (800mg). I was finding on lower doses my paranoia was overwhelming and my depression was getting to the suicidal point. Now I'm on a higher dose I'm like a zombie, lack of motivation in everything I do. For me personally, I do not think its the right drug for me but everyone takes to medications differently"

English friend (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good drug. Tried olanzapine and aripiprazole and this is the best. Made my depression a bit better also. Better than lithium citalapram and sertraline as I've tried all these for depression with no success. Relieved me of anxiety too. Does make you super groggy after taking it so be careful guys"

supershid (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on seroquel twice now. I was hearing voices all day that affected my PTSD, then it was a falling block thing with my anxiety and depression. I love this medication because I also have sleeping problems - falling asleep and staying asleep. There's XR and non XR (time release). I'm on 450; the higher you are on, the longer it takes to fall asleep. The only bad thing about this medication is weight gain. Be careful with that. I did research on all schizophrenic medications and they all cause weight gain. Just a note; the reason I pay $60 is because I need to take 300 + 150 to make 450. The XR is $15 more. I go under blue cross blue shield, if this helps anyone."

ZeldaKitten June 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I lost touch with reality for quite a while. I mainly use this as a sleep aid, but I am a paranoid schizophrenic. As far as symptoms of my schizophrenia, it helps. However, whenever it's about time to take my dose I notice my condition worsening a lot. If I take it late, I am loopy and a bit delusion, but I hold a steady job that requires us to work late some days. Also, if I am just having an overall bad day, it seems to not help my symptoms at all. I am pretty sure I would be a lot worse without this medication. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I got a card from the doctor making my prescription only cost around 17 bucks. If I didn't have that card, it would be about 80 bucks with my work insurance. 400 or something with none."

Rest In Pieces (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "When I was 14 I was put on 450mg/day before bed time and within 6 months I gained 25-30 pounds. It worked super well to get rid of my hallucinations (including the tactile ones) but it made me extremely zombie-like. My grades slipped at school, and I slept as soon as I got home till the next morning. The first day I slept 22 hours. This medicine made me so hungry all the time and no matter how much I ate I was never full."

Skr1259 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I'm been on Seroquel since been diagnosed (now 18 months). Started taking 50g but now I'm on 100g. I've got to the point on this medication that the side effects are too much. Constantly tired. Feel very vague. My memory is terrible. I'm starting to forget about things I've already done. Still very paranoid. Also I'm still having panic attacks. So for me, it's time to move on and try something new (Olanzapine)."

zaiyd&lola (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel- Out of Risperdal, Zyprexa, Trilafon, Abilify, Haldol, and Geodon, Seroquel is by far the best one. At lower doses, it is good for anxiety. You don't feel like a zombie on it. Obviously it helps you sleep, but at lower doses you won't be sleepy or if you just take it at bed time. Abilify and Haldol turned me into a complete zombie it was terrible. Risperdal had sexual side effects and of course the breast growth issue, but I would say Risperdal is the second best one behind Seroquel. Haldol and Abilify help paranoia big time but they also exasperate anxiety, definitely stay away from those. Geodon and Zyprexa are worse than those medicines. Geodon made me disoriented, helpless, still very paranoid. Zyprexa is probably the second worst."

Corksters (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "All the other medications I have been on produced horrible side effects. Seroquel works great and the only side effect is sleepiness. Stable at 600mg and quite pleased."

DeadBunny (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "From the age of eleven to seventeen, I lost touch to reality, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me cause I didn't tell my real problems. I was living in an imaginary world. At the age of seventeen I was finally able to express some of my problems, and got started on Seroquel XR, day by day I had the feeling of becoming normal again, and regained the control over my own life. I still have issues from all the problems that involved my past, but I can truly say that I got control back. I truly think Seroquel XR saved my life."

Chris778 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed this for paranoid Psychosis and depression. At first I was to take a half of a 100mg tablet at night for a week then raise to the whole pill. After taking the half the first night at eight and feeling drunk I decided this might not be for me so I cut the half in half and take a quarter pill a night. It has helped me sleep and seems to curve my over thinking things and thinking that every comment or conversation on social media is about me. I think also by getting off social media altogether it also helped my situation. But overall good medication, it's the only thing I take."

country mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2013